PDA

View Full Version : Cathkin Park

Carheenlea
16-04-2015, 08:28 PM
If anyone is through at Hampden in good time on Saturday and who is not tempted by a busy pub, Cathkin Park is well worth a quick visit if you have not already had a look at one of Scotland`s long lost football grounds. A short stroll from Hampden Park and I think access is from Florida Avenue, the road behind Prospecthill Rd. The one time home of Third Lanark, and standing on the terraces that still remain is a quite haunting and eerie experience, and one that may well help to calm the nerves before the action gets underway at 12.15.

Mr White
16-04-2015, 08:36 PM
I'm thinking of visiting on saturday with my son if we're through in time. It's where we won our first scottish cup in 1887 though IIRC it was originally called hampden?

Nakedmanoncrack
16-04-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm thinking of visiting on saturday with my son if we're through in time. It's where we won our first scottish cup in 1887 though IIRC it was originally called hampden?

It is indeed, we are still awaiting our first Scottish Cup at the current (3rd) Hampden park, the 2nd Hampden Park was situated in Cathkin Park and was renamed when the new Hampden opened - well worth a visit.

Carheenlea
16-04-2015, 09:15 PM

It is indeed, we are still awaiting our first Scottish Cup at the current (3rd) Hampden park, the 2nd Hampden Park was situated in Cathkin Park and was renamed when the new Hampden opened - well worth a visit.

Yes, should really have mentioned in post about it being the venue of our first Scottish Cup win.

LancashireHibby
16-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Keep meaning to go and never get round to it. Will try again on Saturday.

Hibeesforever
16-04-2015, 09:38 PM
A great idea, my plan was to go to the Scottish football exhibition with my two children. It costs a lot of money to travel to Glasgow and we don't frequent that great old empire city very often.
only trouble is Scottish football in its wisdom is not opening the museum on Saturday!
Typical approach with poor football customer service.
Hope to be back in May though and will see if it is open then!

NadeAteMyLunch!
16-04-2015, 10:15 PM
Visited a couple of times. Weird seeing it like it is now

Keith_M
17-04-2015, 08:07 AM
The Main Entrance is on Cathcart Road, opposite the field where they park the Supporters Buses (for the fans in the west stand).

If you go in that way, you'll see the memorial to Third Lanark, which is on the path at the entrance.

http://www.footballgroundmap.com/data/photos/cathkin-park1026l.jpg

If you take the path to the right, it takes you to the top of the terracing. It was really quite eerie the first time I went up there and stood on the terracing, leaning against a crush barrier.

MSK
17-04-2015, 08:41 AM
There was a thread on here a few years back about plans to do the ground up & have football played there again ..I cant remember what the exact plans were as it was quite a while back but I think it was to do up the terraces, paint the barriers, remove trees & undergrowth etc ..

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 08:54 AM
There's a couple of nice wee films of the stadium on You Tube, worth a look and quite sad in their own way. I wonder if there are any folk on here who have watched a game at Cathkin Park? 3ds folded in 1967 so it'll be an auld yin.:greengrin

liamh2202
17-04-2015, 08:56 AM
There was a thread on here a few years back about plans to do the ground up & have football played there again ..I cant remember what the exact plans were as it was quite a while back but I think it was to do up the terraces, paint the barriers, remove trees & undergrowth etc ..

I'm sure I read an article recently that third lanark had been started up as an amateur team and were playing here. Is there any particular reason why they became extinct in the first place? I often think the same could happen to Queens Park if the sfa withdrew from hamdump. Jus hard to believe that a top club nowadays wouldn't survive in one shape or form because of their support base

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm sure I read an article recently that third lanark had been started up as an amateur team and were playing here. Is there any particular reason why they became extinct in the first place? I often think the same could happen to Queens Park if the sfa withdrew from hamdump. Jus hard to believe that a top club nowadays wouldn't survive in one shape or form because of their support base

I'm sure I read somewhere that their finances were being run in a Jamboesque manner and when the jobby hit the fan they had no way out.

weecounty hibby
17-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere that their finances were being run in a Jamboesque manner and when the jobby hit the fan they had no way out.

Did they not get shafted big time by the guy who owned them at the time?

Keith_M
17-04-2015, 09:20 AM

The article's quite old but this is the guy (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/river-city-stars-incredible-bid-1070837), The last I read about it, though I can't find the article, was that he's struggling a bit because of constant vandalism.

They have an Amateur Team. They play in the West of Scotland league. you can read about them here (http://www.third-lanark.co.uk/)

The guy that owned the Club reckoned he could make more money by selling of the ground for housing, so he deliberately run them down. They did go bust, but the Council refused him Planning Permission, hence why the park is still there.

MSK
17-04-2015, 09:35 AM
The article's quite old but this is the guy (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/river-city-stars-incredible-bid-1070837), The last I read about it, though I can't find the article, was that he's struggling a bit because of constant vandalism.

They have an Amateur Team. They play in the West of Scotland league. you can read about them here (http://www.third-lanark.co.uk/)

The guy that owned the Club reckoned he could make more money by selling of the ground for housing, so he deliberately run them down. They did go bust, but the Council refused him Planning Permission, hence why the park is still there.Cheers mate ..if you go into the search bar & type in Cathkin park there is a thread their from 2010 highlighting their intentions ..for some reason It wont allow me to copy & paste the thread ..

Keith_M
17-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Cheers mate ..if you go into the search bar & type in Cathkin park there is a thread their from 2010 highlighting their intentions ..for some reason It wont allow me to copy & paste the thread ..

No probs.

I lived near Cathkin for two years and met the official club Historian, Bob Laird. He does (or did) tours at the Hampden Museum. They have a great wee cafe next to it and I used to go in for a blether. Great guy and he has a soft spot for Hibs (he told me that before he knew I was a Hibby, so wasn't just humouring me ;) ).

I'd recommend a visit to the Museum at Hampden but, unfortunately, it's closed on Match Days.

MSK
17-04-2015, 09:56 AM
No probs.

I lived near Cathkin for two years and met the official club Historian, Bob Laird. He does (or did) tours at the Hampden Museum. They have a great wee cafe next to it and I used to go in for a blether. Great guy and he has a soft spot for Hibs (he told me that before he knew I was a Hibby, so wasn't just humouring me ;) ).

I'd recommend a visit to the Museum at Hampden but, unfortunately, it's closed on Match Days.Fascinating stuff & a brilliant part of footballing history, def going to pay it a visit ...:agree:

heretoday
17-04-2015, 10:20 AM
The Thirds. They played in red with white shorts and socks. Hibs bought Joe Davis from them and he hardly ever missed a penalty. I have a video of them against Celtic at Cathkin with Bob Crampsey commentating. You can hear the Thirds fans chanting. Whatever happened to them I wonder?

berwickhibee
17-04-2015, 11:03 AM
visited this a few years ago,so eerie and quiet, but also quite enjoyable. if you want a wee look of the ground there is 1 or 2 videos on youtube under cathkin park search.

Waxy
17-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Edinburgh has its own "Third Lanark" . St Bernards who won the Scottish cup back in 18canteen played in a ground at cannonmills till 1940 odds.King George park covers what was their ground.

itslegaltender
17-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Would reccomend going here. Standing in the centre circle looking around at the overgrown terraces with some crash barriers still there (and recently painted) is very surreal. You can also see remnants of old advertising boards and the low wall that surrounded the pitch.

A very sobering place that is a reminder to us all what can happen to a club.

Back Lounge
17-04-2015, 01:01 PM
There is a game at Cathkin tomorrow at 10.00. Hampden AFC vs Park Sports Project AFC.

InchHibby
17-04-2015, 07:21 PM
The Thirds. They played in red with white shorts and socks. Hibs bought Joe Davis from them and he hardly ever missed a penalty. I have a video of them against Celtic at Cathkin with Bob Crampsey commentating. You can hear the Thirds fans chanting. Whatever happened to them I wonder?

I may be wrong and thinking of some other team but was their nickname not the Hi Hi?

Baldy Foghorn
17-04-2015, 07:24 PM
I may be wrong and thinking of some other team but was their nickname not the Hi Hi?

known as the thirds, the warriors, the redcoats or the hi hi...Bit greedy having four nicknames:cb

Lago
17-04-2015, 07:35 PM
There's a couple of nice wee films of the stadium on You Tube, worth a look and quite sad in their own way. I wonder if there are any folk on here who have watched a game at Cathkin Park? 3ds folded in 1967 so it'll be an auld yin.:greengrin
As an auld yin I did see Thirds play although not at Cathkin, cracking team at one time.

The Harp
17-04-2015, 09:12 PM

Hey, watch it! The aulder the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.:wink:
Yeah, went through to Cathkin a few times to watch the Hibs. Good wee club and one of the few away grounds where we never had any bother from the locals. Fair size too,with a record attendance of over 40,000 IIRC.
My first travel experience with the supporters club was to a game v Thirds in 62/63. Think this game was played at Hampden as work was being done at Cathkin. A bunch of us young guys (we were around 16 at the time) went on the Southern branch bus. For most of us, it was our first time travelling to a game outside Edinburgh and we were really excited and singing away at the back of the bus. Can remember the bus convener coming up to us and saying "If you keep the noise down you can travel for nothing." Needless to say we kept the volume down after that. Although we joined the supporters club a few weeks later we all joined the St Giles branch - and had some great times on the road over the years.
I'd certainly like to visit Cathkin again, although would probably have a tear in my eye, when I do (the perils of getting sentimental in yer auld age). Will be attending Hampden tomorrow with a couple of the guys who were on that bus all those years ago. Hope we feel like singing on the way back.:aok:

FranckSuzy
17-04-2015, 09:20 PM
known as the thirds, the warriors, the redcoats or the hi hi...Bit greedy having four nicknames:cb

:hmmm: Hibs, the Hibees, the Cabbage - we're catching up :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
17-04-2015, 09:27 PM
Hey, watch it! The aulder the fiddle, the sweeter the tune.:wink:
Yeah, went through to Cathkin a few times to watch the Hibs. Good wee club and one of the few away grounds where we never had any bother from the locals. Fair size too,with a record attendance of over 40,000 IIRC.
My first travel experience with the supporters club was to a game v Thirds in 62/63. Think this game was played at Hampden as work was being done at Cathkin. A bunch of us young guys (we were around 16 at the time) went on the Southern branch bus. For most of us, it was our first time travelling to a game outside Edinburgh and we were really excited and singing away at the back of the bus. Can remember the bus convener coming up to us and saying "If you keep the noise down you can travel for nothing." Needless to say we kept the volume down after that. Although we joined the supporters club a few weeks later we all joined the St Giles branch - and had some great times on the road over the years.
I'd certainly like to visit Cathkin again, although would probably have a tear in my eye, when I do (the perils of getting sentimental in yer auld age). Will be attending Hampden tomorrow with a couple of the guys who were on that bus all those years ago. Hope we feel like singing on the way back.:aok:

Heading tae Stradivarius country masel mate :greengrin

Nice wee story ... cheers :aok:

heretoday
17-04-2015, 09:56 PM

You are absolutely right. The Hi-Hi's.

And Shankly was their manager.

hibs4life
17-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Edinburgh has its own "Third Lanark" . St Bernards who won the Scottish cup back in 18canteen played in a ground at cannonmills till 1940 odds.King George park covers what was their ground.

I think most of the pitch covered what is now the RBS car park for their Fettes Row/Dundas Street building. The steps down to it from Fettes Row are apparently the old entrance to part of the terracing and the railings there are the original from when the football ground was in existence, I'm led to believe. That said, I suspect part of the ground may have covered part of King George park, although at one time, I think that was largely occupied by the outdoor 'gymnasium' which included a large communal rowing machine amongst other wholesome activities for the masses...
I think the ground had a record crowd of about 27,000 for a game v Hibs in the '30s...

heretoday
17-04-2015, 10:31 PM
I think most of the pitch covered what is now the RBS car park for their Fettes Row/Dundas Street building. The steps down to it from Fettes Row are apparently the old entrance to part of the terracing and the railings there are the original from when the football ground was in existence, I'm led to believe. That said, I suspect part of the ground may have covered part of King George park, although at one time, I think that was largely occupied by the outdoor 'gymnasium' which included a large communal rowing machine amongst other wholesome activities for the masses...
I think the ground had a record crowd of about 27,000 for a game v Hibs in the '30s...

Fantastic. Thank you so much for that piece of research. I can't imagine a football stadium there!

hibs4life
17-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Fantastic. Thank you so much for that piece of research. I can't imagine a football stadium there!

You're welcome - There's a bit about St Bernards and their pitch in this article:
https://kgvsy.wordpress.com/history/

VivaHiberña
18-04-2015, 12:48 AM

You're welcome - There's a bit about St Bernards and their pitch in this article:
https://kgvsy.wordpress.com/history/

A quick google search throws this up, I'm sure the National Library of Scotland's archives will have better if you're particularly interested.

Jones28
18-04-2015, 07:28 AM
I was there the last time we played at Hampden. Bizarre place.

Dashing Bob S
18-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I yearn for the day that Hampden is elevated to the same status as Cathkin Park.

Carheenlea
18-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Pilgrimage made to site of our first Scottish Cup win in 1887. Hopefully be back in May..

RIP
18-04-2015, 02:59 PM
Third in the league in '61. Beat a bunch of losers 6-1 in their final game of that season.

Only players on view today were 6 jakeys with their squashy faced dugs. Trees on the terracing. Ghostly atmosphere.

Baldy Foghorn
18-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Pilgrimage made to site of our first Scottish Cup win in 1887. Hopefully be back in May..

Was definitely planning to go in May, talked about it before the game Today. Might take a trip through in the close season.......

LancsHibs
18-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Went and had a look before the match, best part of the day!

lord bunberry
18-04-2015, 05:04 PM
I agree about Cathkin Park being the best part of the day

Leithwalk
18-04-2015, 05:10 PM
My dad used to take me to Cathkin Park – Thirds were our local team on the south side of Glasgow. Last game I saw was a defeat of Rangers, which I think was in the Glasgow cup. Decent crowd even though the trophy was about as diddy as a cup can get. Don’t remember seeing a Hibs game (I was 9-10 at the time). Moved away in 1964 so didn’t see the final collapse. A bit jealous of people with a lifelong team – local side for me wherever I happen to live. None of the rest of them have gone bust yet.

Mr White
18-04-2015, 06:51 PM
14720Took a wee visit today too. saw the only goal from a team in green we witnessed all day unfortunately.

lord bunberry
18-04-2015, 07:09 PM
14720Took a wee visit today too. saw the only goal from a team in green we witnessed all day unfortunately.

I must have been there later than you because the team in black won in the end.

Mr White
18-04-2015, 07:16 PM

They scored just as we were leaving actually

Hibs Class
18-04-2015, 07:33 PM

The team in black scored a further goal a minute from the end. Green number 16 thought he'd been foiled and swore profusely at the Ref and earned himself a red card. Gave me a bad feeling for the match to come!

lord bunberry
19-04-2015, 07:46 AM
The team in black scored a further goal a minute from the end. Green number 16 thought he'd been foiled and swore profusely at the Ref and earned himself a red card. Gave me a bad feeling for the match to come!
Yeah that happened when I was there.

Canongatehibs
19-04-2015, 07:45 PM
I yearn for the day that Hampden is elevated to the same status as Cathkin Park.

Aye, Hampden is a slum. As are the surrounding streets and housing