PDA

View Full Version : 6-2 to Hibs

heretoday
16-04-2015, 10:14 AM
I've just been watching the 6-2 game. It's a different era and yet it seems like only yesterday.

Guys like John O'Neill and David Zitelli don't get mentioned much now but what good players they were.

SkintHibby
16-04-2015, 10:47 AM
John O'Neil was a fantastic player and deserved more credit than he received.:agree:

Thecat23
16-04-2015, 10:50 AM
John O'Neil was a fantastic player and deserved more credit than he received.:agree:

One of the best midfielders I've seen at ER. The guy was superb for Hibs! Of course there's been better but I do think he doesn't get enough credit for his time here when folk talk about former players.

Future17
16-04-2015, 10:52 AM
I've just been watching the 6-2 game. It's a different era and yet it seems like only yesterday.

Guys like John O'Neill and David Zitelli don't get mentioned much now but what good players they were.

There were some very good players in that team, but the main thing for me was that it was a team.

McLeish, love him or loathe him, created a system in which players knew their roles and could play to their strengths and then he added two world class individuals. That's why good players like O'Neil, Zitelli and Mixu (and perhaps a few others who would decidedly average if playing at other clubs) were made to look very good indeed at times.

Some great memories from that time though. I remember going to watch us play St Johnstone at ER the week after we'd beaten Dunfermline 5-1 and you just knew we were going to score goals. It finished 4-0, but it could have been 8 and we were a joy to watch.

Hopefully we're at the start of something special under Stubbs now.

heretoday
16-04-2015, 11:59 AM
There were some very good players in that team, but the main thing for me was that it was a team.

McLeish, love him or loathe him, created a system in which players knew their roles and could play to their strengths and then he added two world class individuals. That's why good players like O'Neil, Zitelli and Mixu (and perhaps a few others who would decidedly average if playing at other clubs) were made to look very good indeed at times.

Some great memories from that time though. I remember going to watch us play St Johnstone at ER the week after we'd beaten Dunfermline 5-1 and you just knew we were going to score goals. It finished 4-0, but it could have been 8 and we were a joy to watch.

Hopefully we're at the start of something special under Stubbs now.
Indeed. I always liked Mcleish. I net him and his lady at a charity do in the NB and he was perfectly charming. I didn't blame him for going to the Huns although the timing might hauf been better. In those days the Ibrox job was a big deal. Not so now I think!

Future17
16-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Indeed. I always liked Mcleish. I net him and his lady at a charity do in the NB and he was perfectly charming. I didn't blame him for going to the Huns although the timing might hauf been better. In those days the Ibrox job was a big deal. Not so now I think!

Yeah, although he might end up back there if McCall doesn't stick around as he chucking it in Belgium.

Bostonhibby
16-04-2015, 01:35 PM

:agree: Bumped into him and his good lady on the street in Stratford just after we'd sacked Butcher - couldn't resist asking him if he fancied the Hibs job. Was pleasantly surprised that they stood and spoke to us for a good 15 mins, said it had come up but he had something lined up in Belgium, he loved his time at Hibs, got to sign every player he wanted to go for.

Salt N Sauzee
16-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Watched this video the other day coincidently. Couldn't help but notice how empty the away end was for this game. For a bunch who love to gloat about attendances they seem to have awfy short memories and a hell of a lot of part time glory hunters within their support! :na na:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2015, 03:18 PM
One of the best midfielders I've seen at ER. The guy was superb for Hibs! Of course there's been better but I do think he doesn't get enough credit for his time here when folk talk about former players.

He certainly deserves more credit than Kevin McAllister gets on here. Awfy over-rated in my opinion.

Thecat23
16-04-2015, 03:20 PM
He certainly deserves more credit than Kevin McAllister gets on here. Awfy over-rated in my opinion.

Yeah have to agree there. I liked him but he was good one week rotten for the next 2. Defo wasn't consistent enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
16-04-2015, 03:48 PM
I still think Latapy's goal was one of the best goals scored in an Edinburgh Derby

Leith_Hibee
16-04-2015, 03:55 PM
I recall going to Hibs v St Mirren game, we scored first and I said to my mates I'd like St Mirren to score to make this interesting. They score right before half time and right after half time....we went on to win 4-2. It was a great time to be a Hibby.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Yeah have to agree there. I liked him but he was good one week rotten for the next 2. Defo wasn't consistent enough.

Seemed more interested in Falkirk than Hibs whenever he got interviewed too. As you say, when he was good he was very good but, ...

Baader
16-04-2015, 05:39 PM
John O'Neill was great for Hibs although lost a bit form after McLeish left. Underrated for sure. As was Stuart Lovell. Was a big loss when we moved him on. Got rid too early imo.

Peevemor
16-04-2015, 05:48 PM
John O'Neill was great for Hibs although lost a bit form after McLeish left. Underrated for sure. As was Stuart Lovell. Was a big loss when we moved him on. Got rid too early imo.

In his early days at Hibs Lovell got a wee bit of unfair stick, but the support was pretty much behind him during his final (and best) season. Then he chose to sign for Livi who outbid us with money they didn't have (as did Dunfermline with Brewster).

Peevemor
16-04-2015, 05:54 PM

Seemed more interested in Falkirk than Hibs whenever he got interviewed too. As you say, when he was good he was very good but, ...

Crunchie was great for Hibs and never gave less than 100% while, quite rightly, making no secret of his affection for Falkirk. If he was so hot and cold, why were there fairly serious calls for him to get capped?

Michael O'Neill on the other hand... :rolleyes:

Baader
16-04-2015, 06:22 PM
In his early days at Hibs Lovell got a wee bit of unfair stick, but the support was pretty much behind him during his final (and best) season. Then he chose to sign for Livi who outbid us with money they didn't have (as did Dunfermline with Brewster).

McLeish had signed De La Cruz by then who took the right wing back position as well.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Crunchie was great for Hibs and never gave less than 100% while, quite rightly, making no secret of his affection for Falkirk.

Cannae agree with that for a couple of reasons, doesnae really matter now though.

Hermit Crab
16-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Watched this video the other day coincidently. Couldn't help but notice how empty the away end was for this game. For a bunch who love to gloat about attendances they seem to have awfy short memories and a hell of a lot of part time glory hunters within their support! :na na:

They were boycotting over prices that night I think.

Springbank
16-04-2015, 07:59 PM

No

They were running scared

We had beaten r angers 1-0 week before, they were toiling

Writing was on the wall and they bottled it

erin go bragh
16-04-2015, 10:33 PM

The fin cheek as they charged us more the season before at the PBS .
Six going on ten .

GGTTH

heretoday
17-04-2015, 05:12 AM
I still hope that one day Michael O'Neill will become Hibs manager. No offence to Stubbs who, I reckon, will move on.

Hibs have a bright future. As soon as the job becomes vacant there will be dozens of guys queuing up to apply - not just Jimmy Calderwood.

We are a huge name.

heretoday
17-04-2015, 05:16 AM
I still think Latapy's goal was one of the best goals scored in an Edinburgh Derby

If you look at the game, Latapy was in control. He was IMHO the best midfielder we ever had, including George Best and Willie Hamilton.

Bay Area Hibees
17-04-2015, 05:52 AM
Latapy goal was probably my favorite at ER. Was on cloud nine that night.
He was up there with best hibs players I've seen, no doubt.
Personally I thought MacLeish was great, we spent a lot of money but had quality team.

lets hope Stubbs can keep us going, we seem way too strong for championship. Crowds in epl are really shocking. Sad to say but there are too many clubs. Fair play to supporters but crowds of 2k is small time stuff.

overdrive
17-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Did McLeish not bin him for leaking stories to the press? That's certainly how I remember it with him being dropped towards the end of that season in favour of Ian Murray

heretoday
19-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Latapy goal was probably my favorite at ER. Was on cloud nine that night.
He was up there with best hibs players I've seen, no doubt.
Personally I thought MacLeish was great, we spent a lot of money but had quality team.

lets hope Stubbs can keep us going, we seem way too strong for championship. Crowds in epl are really shocking. Sad to say but there are too many clubs. Fair play to supporters but crowds of 2k is small time stuff.

I agree. Actually Latapy was arguably the best player who ever played for Hibs short of Bestie and Willie Hamilton. He really was exceptional.