PDA

View Full Version : Jason vs Deek

Deano Mourinho
14-04-2015, 05:04 AM
I am interested to know how many Deek had scored by 19 vs Jason? I know it's different times in different leagues but love or hate the wee man he knows where the goals are

lucky
14-04-2015, 05:42 AM
Not in the same level and I doubt JC ever will reach DR's ability

lord bunberry
14-04-2015, 05:47 AM
He will never have the sublime skills Riordan had, but he is a completely different type of player. Cummings is a real old fashioned penalty box striker.

TowerHibs
14-04-2015, 05:50 AM
He will never have the sublime skills Riordan had, but he is a completely different type of player. Cummings is a real old fashioned penalty box striker.

Disagree. Derek when played centre forward scored even more than when on the wing...ratio wise

Nameless
14-04-2015, 05:55 AM
The difference between the two is that Jason is a poacher (McCoist, Robertson, Wright), Deek was a more complete forward (Bergkamp, Laudrup, Henry). For that reason, I think it is unfair to compare them, as they are totally different styles of player.

Who was the last genuine "fox in the box" for Hibs, have we ever had one like Jason?

flash
14-04-2015, 06:02 AM

Not really worth waking up to post that was it?

greenlad
14-04-2015, 06:07 AM
I am interested to know how many Deek had scored by 19 vs Jason? I know it's different times in different leagues but love or hate the wee man he knows where the goals are

Riordan's first Hibs goal was after his 20th birthday.

lord bunberry
14-04-2015, 06:17 AM
Disagree. Derek when played centre forward scored even more than when on the wing...ratio wise
But you would never describe Riordan as a penalty box striker, he had far more to his game than Cummings has. Cummings has that rare ability of being in the right place at the right time, it's an instinct that very few possess.

TowerHibs
14-04-2015, 06:25 AM
But you would never describe Riordan as a penalty box striker, he had far more to his game than Cummings has. Cummings has that rare ability of being in the right place at the right time, it's an instinct that very few possess.

Like I say, so did Derek. Very rarely he played centre forward. If he had half the chances JC has already had then he'd be on 150 odd goals for hibs.

Not a slight on JC though, cracking player. Best young CF we've had since Derek and plenty time to add to his talents

allezsauzee
14-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Jason isn't in the same class as Deek for natural talent but I'd apply that comment to the likes of Steven Fletcher, Kenny Miller and Scott Brown and they still managed to achieve more success than he did so there's no reason Cummings can't be a really good player for us and Scotland.

iwasthere1972
14-04-2015, 07:34 AM
The difference between the two is that Jason is a poacher (McCoist, Robertson, Wright), Deek was a more complete forward (Bergkamp, Laudrup, Henry). For that reason, I think it is unfair to compare them, as they are totally different styles of player.

Who was the last genuine "fox in the box" for Hibs, have we ever had one like Jason?

Bergkamp, Laudrup and Henry?

Good player but you're pushing it a bit.

Spike Mandela
14-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Riordan my favourite Hibs striker ever.

Cummings my current favourite Hibs striker.

Cocky, skilfull, bags of goals and a dislike for the Hearts. What's not to like.:cb

_hucks_
14-04-2015, 07:47 AM

Chris Killen is the last I can think of

madhatter
14-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Riordan my favourite Hibs striker ever.

Cummings my current favourite Hibs striker.

Cocky, skilfull, bags of goals and a dislike for the Hearts. What's not to like.:cb

Do people actually think he has a dislike of Hearts? I always thought he was still Hearts fan but enjoys the wind up and banter with their fans. Curious one. Can never tell with Cummings.

s.a.m
14-04-2015, 07:50 AM

:agree: Agree with all of that. Different types of player, both equally useful and important.

Billy Whizz
14-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Do people actually think he has a dislike of Hearts? I always thought he was still Hearts fan but enjoys the wind up and banter with their fans. Curious one. Can never tell with Cummings.

His dad and his 2 brothers are big Jambos, probably getting it right at home, but he's probably got a few one liners for them

J-C
14-04-2015, 08:16 AM
Deek was a floating striker who'd pop up left, right and through the middle, he had GOC who was his perfect foil. JC is more direct, is very one footed and doesn't have the same vision as Deek but they are different.

Ozyhibby
14-04-2015, 08:23 AM
Griffiths is better than both of them.

Auckland Hibs
14-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Leigh has five years on Jason - bit early to make that call IMO.

calmacuk
14-04-2015, 08:42 AM

He dislikes Hearts because of the way he was treated when he got injured at 15. The quotes are at the bottom of this article:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/young-hibernian-striker-jason-cummings-5039483

Hibbyradge
14-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Van Persie is better than all three of them.

Ronaldo is better still.

Mikey09
14-04-2015, 08:50 AM

He very much reminds me of my hero when I was young, Paul Sturrock. Busy wee player, will take the keeper on from anywhere, bags of confidence and probably the most important one.... Socks rolled down and shirt out!!!! :not worth

cabbageandribs1875
14-04-2015, 08:51 AM

and he most likely always will be, just like leigh griffiths will always be a hibs fan, contrary to what some on here think

anyway, JC will never be able to pop up with a sweet FK like deeks could

Smartie
14-04-2015, 09:12 AM
May just be me but I didn't see much more in Deeks than a finisher. I think he needed others in the team to make those chances for him and was less likely than the likes of Griffiths or Cummings to score something out of nothing.

What a finisher he was though. Right foot, left foot, absolutely deadly. Cracking ability to be in the right place at the right time, excellent movement to make space and to beat offside traps/ get in behind defences. Quality free-kicks too.

I didn't want anything more from him, didn't want him to tank about all over the park. Just stay about the box, conserve energy and when the chances come - score.

Cummings is more comparable to Griffiths. Even Griffiths was a bit raw during his first season with us but was magnificent in his second. I don't know how much of that had to do with Fenlon (the improvement in Griffiths may have been Fenlon's greatest achievement) but what an improvement.

Cummings was superb on Sunday. To be honest I think his all round play/ linking up the play has been pretty decent at times throughout this season (and I thought he was our best forward when he broke into the team last year) and he was superb on Sunday.

And whilst his more ambitious efforts on goal can be frustrating to say the least I love that we have someone who will back themselves to score and every so often one of them will fly in.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2015, 09:17 AM
He very much reminds me of my hero when I was young, Paul Sturrock. Busy wee player, will take the keeper on from anywhere, bags of confidence and probably the most important one.... Socks rolled down and shirt out!!!! :not worth

A brilliant striker :agree: It makes me a wee bit sad to see how unwell he looks these days, wish him all the best with the Yeovil gig.

As for Jason v Deek ... Very different players, Riordan was probably the best natural finisher I have seen in a Hibs shirt, though Griffiths runs him very close, if he had had the pace to match his ability he would have been an EPL player without a doubt. Jason does appear to have an eye for chances in the box, but he has a few things to sort out before he can approach his true potential. The first one is his shooting which lacks accuracy at times and the second one is his fitness. On Sunday his attack of cramp probably wasn't helped by his recent injury, but there has been a number of games this season where it has appeared to me that he was 'blowin' bubbles' with 25 minutes to go.

It's not difficult to draw comparisons between Cummings and a wee fat guy who played for one of the other Edinburgh teams in the 80s & 90s. Like him JC appears to be in the process of acquiring a happy knack of scoring in derby matches :greengrin

dangermouse
14-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Deek was a floating striker who'd pop up left, right and through the middle, he had GOC who was his perfect foil. JC is more direct, is very one footed and doesn't have the same vision as Deek but they are different.

:hmmm: Watch the replay of his last goal :wink:

CockneyRebel
14-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Did you see his goal for Celtic against ICT? What a stoater!

frazeHFC
14-04-2015, 09:53 AM
As the seasons gone on Cummings has got better and better. Not just goals but his overall skill, link up play etc. Terrific prospect and can't wait to see him line up at Hampden in 4 days time!

CockneyRebel
14-04-2015, 09:54 AM
May just be me but I didn't see much more in Deeks than a finisher. I think he needed others in the team to make those chances for him and was less likely than the likes of Griffiths or Cummings to score something out of nothing.

What a finisher he was though. Right foot, left foot, absolutely deadly. Cracking ability to be in the right place at the right time, excellent movement to make space and to beat offside traps/ get in behind defences. Quality free-kicks too.

I didn't want anything more from him, didn't want him to tank about all over the park. Just stay about the box, conserve energy and when the chances come - score.

Cummings is more comparable to Griffiths. Even Griffiths was a bit raw during his first season with us but was magnificent in his second. I don't know how much of that had to do with Fenlon (the improvement in Griffiths may have been Fenlon's greatest achievement) but what an improvement.

Cummings was superb on Sunday. To be honest I think his all round play/ linking up the play has been pretty decent at times throughout this season (and I thought he was our best forward when he broke into the team last year) and he was superb on Sunday.

And whilst his more ambitious efforts on goal can be frustrating to say the least I love that we have someone who will back themselves to score and every so often one of them will fly in.

Deeks and Sparky - both incredible free kick takers and finishers from all distances/angles. Part natural ability, part practice practice practice. Cummings IMO has a lot less ability than either but is good at what he does and IMO can only get better. Let's not compare the incomparable - just enjoy what we have while we have it.

Hibbyradge
14-04-2015, 10:03 AM
and he most likely always will be, just like leigh griffiths will always be a hibs fan, contrary to what some on here think

Is John Robertson still a Hibs fan?

CRAZYHIBBY
14-04-2015, 10:07 AM
Cummings is the best thing hearts have ever done for us.....he could become the hammer of hearts....2 goals against them and counting

Spike Mandela
14-04-2015, 10:27 AM
Cummings is the best thing hearts have ever done for us.....he could become the hammer of hearts....2 goals against them and counting

Robertson scored as many goals against Hibs basically because he was a flop down South.

If Jason keeps developing the way Robertson developed into a goal scoring machine the chances of him staying at Hibs are slim. If he makes the right move he wouldn't be back.

Can't see anyone beating Robertsons's derby record unless like him they cannae cut it elsewhere.

Sammy7nil
14-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Jimmy O'Rourke

Nameless
14-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Bergkamp, Laudrup and Henry?

Good player but you're pushing it a bit.

As a style comparison, it's apt. Clearly he wasn't on their level, but he had the potential.

Northern Hibby
14-04-2015, 01:08 PM

That covers both :agree:

TrinityHibs
14-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Van Persie is better than all three of them.

Ronaldo is better still.

Must have missed the games they played for Hibs. Griffiths for me then DR then Jason. For what it's worth all 3 are good.

Jones28
14-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Did you see his goal for Celtic against ICT? What a stoater!

Deflected no?

Bleeds green
14-04-2015, 03:51 PM

What level is that? A great goal scorer for hibs a failure everywhere else? I loved deek but I don't think he was on any particularly 'higher' level than JC at 19 I think he will be a 20-30 a goal striker every season if played in the right system week in week out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
14-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Deflected no?

Didn't look like it to me - watched it several times.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Is John Robertson still a Hibs fan?

! am reminded now of your irrepressible debating skills
:top marks

Yer still a bum.:greengrin

Iggy Pope
14-04-2015, 04:19 PM
Jimmy O'Rourke

Undoubtedly, but not the last one.
Willie Irvine.
Steve Cowan.

Both extraordinary poachers.

Deano Mourinho
14-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Riordan's first Hibs goal was after his 20th birthday.

That's the info I was interested in not comparing position wise just wondered if he was to stick career at hibs would we have a new record goalscorer

HibbyAndy
14-04-2015, 09:41 PM
Riordan has more talent in his wee tae than JC has in his entire body BUT if JC stays at Easter road for maybe 4 or 5 more seasons he will score more goals than Riordan ever did for hibs.

Riordan is my all time favourite player if you don't know :greengrin But JC is a 15/20 goal a season man so you dae the maths....A couldn't give a toss if they are from 1 yard or 2 yards in they all count.

Baader
15-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Griffiths goal on the weekend definitely took a deflection. El Alagui's was better anyway!