PDA

View Full Version : Back to the old ways...

Mikey09
13-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Ok. I have no idea if this will happen but was discussing it with a Yam at work today (yep there are some sensible ones!!) His worry was with Hearts going up to the Top division next season will the temptation be too much for our maroon chums to start living outwith there means again. The fear of failure resulting in crowds dropping, direct debits being cancelled etc. his thinking behind it was only 6 or so players will be kept from this squad with many new players coming in, completely going against Budgies plan of building slowly for the future. I wouldn't put anything past that lot but surely to God they will have learned there lesson??

CallumLaidlaw
13-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Ok. I have no idea if this will happen but was discussing it with a Yam at work today (yep there are some sensible ones!!) His worry was with Hearts going up to the Top division next season will the temptation be too much for our maroon chums to start living outwith there means again. The fear of failure resulting in crowds dropping, direct debits being cancelled etc. his thinking behind it was only 6 or so players will be kept from this squad with many new players coming in, completely going against Budgies plan of building slowly for the future. I wouldn't put anything past that lot but surely to God they will have learned there lesson??

Learned their lesson? They've come out of this rather rosy. Local businesses on the other hand....

bigwheel
13-04-2015, 03:28 PM

From my experience in dealing with her over the years, I would say there is no chance them getting out of control while Anne Budge and her team are at the helm. They have a sordid past indeed, but I sense that they have the right governance ethos in their club today.

Keith_M
13-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Neilson has already hinted at a big turnover in players in preparation for next season, so I'd say it's started already.

givescotlandfreedom
13-04-2015, 03:56 PM
I don't think the freaks have ever lived within their means in my lifetime.

hibees 7062
13-04-2015, 04:05 PM
A lot will depend on the new 50 million pound stand :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
13-04-2015, 04:09 PM
I'd echo the point above re Budge. Through work I've met a few folks who've worked with her she didn't get where she is by letting costs get out of hand. Unless conditions are right I do t believe that lady is for turning if you excuse the comparison with she who will not be mentioned...

12AlbionPlace
13-04-2015, 04:19 PM

Looks like he's already started planning for next season:confused:

marinello59
13-04-2015, 04:20 PM
They are a different club now and much as it pains me to say it they appear to be running things properly.
I'll go further, that was one of the least hate filled Derbies we have had in recent years. Banter between the fans was mainly good natured and humorous. I can't say I saw any of the Union Jack brigade out although no doubt someone will have spotted one I missed. Maybe Budges mocked attacks on unacceptable behaviour has borne fruit.
I love the rivalry we have with them and whilst it may be unpopular with many here I am happy to enjoy it without the utter hatred some of us on both sides have spouted.
We should never stop having digs at them for the years of cheating but there comes s point when we should acknowledge to ourselves, privately or otherwise, that things are different there now, after all it's what we wanted, a level playing field.
( I am off to hide behind the couch for a few hours now whilst I get ripped to shreds. :greengrin)

BroxburnHibee
13-04-2015, 04:25 PM
They are a different club now and much as it pains me to say it they appear to be running things properly.
I'll go further, that was one of the least hate filled Derbies we have had in recent years. Banter between the fans was mainly good natured and humorous. I can't say I saw any of the Union Jack brigade out although no doubt someone will have spotted one I missed. Maybe Budges mocked attacks on unacceptable behaviour has borne fruit.
I love the rivalry we have with them and whilst it may be unpopular with many here I am happy to enjoy it without the utter hatred some of us on both sides have spouted.
We should never stop having digs at them for the years of cheating but there comes s point when we should acknowledge to ourselves, privately or otherwise, that things are different there now, after all it's what we wanted, a level playing field.
( I am off to hide behind the couch for a few hours now whilst I get ripped to shreds. :greengrin)

Not from me - although I can see how it happened I really don't like the way the Derby has turned into a hate fest.

Peevemor
13-04-2015, 04:42 PM

I agree 100%.

3pm
13-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Couldn't afford him.

Hermit Crab
13-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Couldn't afford him.

:agree: They've rejected paying 300k that's being quoted to buy that fat boy from Holland. They would need to pay double that and more for Scott Allan so they can forget it.

greenginger
13-04-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm not so sure HMS Yam will be a steady financial ship.

Budge may well have let her heart rule her head, Potter signed 10 senior professionals at the start of the season and none would be cheap. K O'd in the first round of both cups and large bonuses to pay all round for winning the Championship. Sure their crowds have been claimed to be decent , but how many were walk up cash customers ?

She has already had to pony up £ 300,000 to Bidco 1874 to cover costs that were meant to be met by their Foundation.

I dare say all will be revealed when their 2015 accounts come out. We will need the cup final to come anywhere near balancing the books this season.

green day
13-04-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm not so sure HMS Yam will be a steady financial ship.

Budge may well have let her heart rule her head, Potter signed 10 senior professionals at the start of the season and none would be cheap. K O'd in the first round of both cups and large bonuses to pay all round for winning the Championship. Sure their crowds have been claimed to be decent , but how many were walk up cash customers ?

She has already had to pony up £ 300,000 to Bidco 1874 to cover costs that were meant to be met by their Foundation.

I dare say all will be revealed when their 2015 accounts come out. We will need the cup final to come anywhere near balancing the books this season.

Aye, thats kinda where I am coming from - although I dont believe they wil be spending cash 'they dont have', I reckon that to compete they will have to dip into the FoH money which IIRC was supposed to be running costs this year, then going into a pot to pay back Budge.

If they dont have the wonga to pay the big name players the deluded demand, I would be certain FoH will continue the subsidy. Not sure if thats possible, or legal, but you know the good old jambos, where there is a will there is a way (to steal). :greengrin:greengrin

Arch Stanton
13-04-2015, 05:13 PM

I can't see the fans buying the club back from Budge anyway - to me, a more likely scenario is her recouping her money by selling Tynie and moving the club to Murrayfield.

EskbankHibby
13-04-2015, 05:25 PM

Teammates at Utd possibly?

EdinMike
13-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Teammates at Utd possibly?

:agree: You can put your Pitchforks away... for now.

emerald green
13-04-2015, 06:18 PM

I saw that photo in the paper. Is it not highly unusual for an opposition manager to approach and whisper to an opposition player in that manner immediately after his team has lost, especially a derby?

Geo_1875
13-04-2015, 08:40 PM
I can't see the fans buying the club back from Budge anyway - to me, a more likely scenario is her recouping her money by selling Tynie and moving the club to Murrayfield.

Their timetable has already slipped. Every penny coming in from STs, DDs from FoH and from external donations has gone on player budget to get them back in the SPL. They did sell a huge amount of STs but the pricing means they brought in a similar amount to Hibs and they had little room for walk ups. They've still to do anything about safety improvements to their ground. If she makes them stick to a strict financial regime and they're not winning on the pitch the crowds will dwindle along with the income and they will struggle to ever achieve fan ownership.

Jones28
13-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I saw that photo in the paper. Is it not highly unusual for an opposition manager to approach and whisper to an opposition player in that manner immediately after his team has lost, especially a derby?

Ex team mates

Heedersnvolleys
13-04-2015, 09:56 PM

I don't think your far off there, I have a mate involved in Edinburgh rugby and he was saying there is still talk of of a new shared ground for both them to be built in the west of Edinburgh

Onion
13-04-2015, 10:49 PM
From my experience in dealing with her over the years, I would say there is no chance them getting out of control while Anne Budge and her team are at the helm. They have a sordid past indeed, but I sense that they have the right governance ethos in their club today.

All sounds great .... in theory. The Yams have exceeded expectations in their first year post-Vlad and all is rosy in the Gorgie garden but that will not continue. Let's see how the Yam hordes feel after 2 or 3 seasons of living within their means, getting pumped by loads of teams including Hibs on a more regular basis.

Deansy
13-04-2015, 10:50 PM

You may be right but I am sooooooooo looking forward to when the reality of 'Playing within our means' hits them !!. The vast majority of their support have NEVER experienced this in 30+ years !. How will she react when at least 50% of their 'support' stop going ??.

At the moment, they're still benefitting from their 'Cheating years' in terms of a rabid, fanatic support and the club has everyone pulling in the one direction due to them being (for some unfathomable reason ??) aggrieved at their relegation - BUT - they haven't had a 'bad-patch' yet. And when they do hit one, they WON'T be able to turn to the high-price\wage mercenaries they've been brought up on. Really can't wait to see the effects a Hearts-team full of only players they can afford and of a more realistic Hearts-standard, has on these low-life !!

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-04-2015, 11:06 PM
One things for sure, they will not enjoy next season like they have enjoyed this one and attendances will drop. I'm sure of it

Iggy Pope
13-04-2015, 11:10 PM
You may be right but I am sooooooooo looking forward to when the reality of 'Playing within our means' hits them !!. The vast majority of their support have NEVER experienced this in 30+ years !. How will she react when at least 50% of their 'support' stop going ??.

At the moment, they're still benefitting from their 'Cheating years' in terms of a rabid, fanatic support and the club has everyone pulling in the one direction due to them being (for some unfathomable reason ??) aggrieved at their relegation - BUT - they haven't had a 'bad-patch' yet. And when they do hit one, they WON'T be able to turn to the high-price\wage mercenaries they've been brought up on. Really can't wait to see the effects a Hearts-team full of only players they can afford and of a more realistic Hearts-standard, has on these low-life !!

i could settle for that mind. Even if it was only on here.

ozhibs
14-04-2015, 02:12 AM

Funnily enough that is exactly what I thought when I saw that photo

Forza Fred
14-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Don't really waste any energy thinking about what the Yams will get up to.

That doesn't mean I wish them anything but the worst mind you.

superfurryhibby
14-04-2015, 06:33 AM
I don't think your far off there, I have a mate involved in Edinburgh rugby and he was saying there is still talk of of a new shared ground for both them to be built in the west of Edinburgh

This seems inevitable. As long as no public money goes their way.

No way will they be spending big-not going to happen.

Aldo
14-04-2015, 06:40 AM
M59 your last bit about never letting them forget about their cheating is spot on.

Yam associates of mine say it's been dealt with and in the past so why do I keep going on about it yet after defeat on Sunday all I got was 1-5 1902 Blah blah.

The charity and failing to pay their way comments really get at them. The funny thing is they still don't get it. Mad Vlad not only once but twice got the dafties to put their hands in their pockets and fill his suitcase full of cash and they still don't get it.

As long as I live and breathe I will never stop getting a dig into that mob.

So get it roond yeah YA bunch of roasters.

CallumLaidlaw
14-04-2015, 07:43 AM
One things for sure, they will not enjoy next season like they have enjoyed this one and attendances will drop. I'm sure of it

I'm not so sure. They may drop ever so slightly, but most of their stadium was sold out with season tickets this year, and I would expect next year to be the same.

Disc O'Dave
14-04-2015, 07:48 AM
I'm not so sure. They may drop ever so slightly, but most of their stadium was sold out with season tickets this year, and I would expect next year to be the same.

I also think that even when they are doing badly, their obsession with attendances will mean a lot will still go "to keep the numbers up" - for a fair section of their support, the "big team" charade is way more important that the actual football part of supporting your team....

Vlad spotted that early doors, and it was one of the main reasons he could take the pi** out of them so much. :wink:

Billy Whizz
14-04-2015, 07:50 AM

Callum, it will be, but I'm sure they will have to pay a bit more for them. Maybe it's something Hibs should have done for this season

AndyM_1875
14-04-2015, 08:08 AM
I said it to a Hertz chum on Sunday night that Neilson has got a really tough job next year. He will lose both his centre backs (including his captain) and one forward. Hearts have no bank overdraft facility and Budge won't hand them the money as she won't bankroll them. They haven't started to pay her back yet as all FOH money was used to give them the player pool for this year and keep the bills paid.

Without the monthly donations they're back to losing money again.

greenginger
14-04-2015, 08:10 AM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/tickets/season

Over 12,000 sold for last season according to Gorgie Pravda. I seem to recall an offer being made to the grunts that one junior season could be bought for £ 20 with each full priced adult ticket.

If a few thousand of those were bought it will reduce their cash take considerably . And, of course they are all counted in their attendance whether they attend or not. :confused:

Geo_1875
14-04-2015, 09:04 AM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/tickets/season

Over 12,000 sold for last season according to Gorgie Pravda. I seem to recall an offer being made to the grunts that one junior season could be bought for £ 20 with each full priced adult ticket.

If a few thousand of those were bought it will reduce their cash take considerably . And, of course they are all counted in their attendance whether they attend or not. :confused:

They were also selling seniors STs for £50 and I know there was a large take up of these. They may have sold a huge number of STs but the cash taken in wasn't much more than Hibs.

Smartie
14-04-2015, 09:28 AM
I honestly can't see them going down that route again. I really hope not because like others I welcome the return of the derby on a level playing field.

They got off to a flyer this season but we have done fine so far given the start we made. Everything to play for for us still though.

They face massive challenges as a club that they will have to overcome in future though and it will be interesting to see if their fans stick with them.

1. Their first big wobble after Budge took over. I don't think losing a couple of games after the title is secured is a wobble. But when it (inevitably) comes, do they sack the manager, do the fans still turn out in numbers to see a team that is not winning every week regardless who it is against? We'll see.

2. Replacing the good young players who were blooded last year, have played a big part this year and will be sold on/ lost at some point. Remember, these were players who were recruited and trained with money that they simply didn't have. Who says that their "production line" will last forever? They landed on their feet this season and only needed to add a few carefully chosen players to create a strong squad capable of winning the league at a canter. They face bigger footballing challenges ahead, probably with less resources.

3. That stadium is going to have to be completed at some point. Or as pointed out, they may have to move elsewhere. Do the fans stick with them then? This may have a huge effect on their revenue streams and subsequently the amount they have to spend on their playing squad.

These are big challenges but I wouldn't necessarily say they are Donald ducked yet. They may raise a few quid from flogging players or their ground that could see them through a few years. There are decent bargain players to be had out there, particularly if you have a decent manager who can find them and know how to use them. Their fans may stick with them through thick and thin after nearly losing them.

I'm quietly confident that we could have the upper hand on them for a bit as they face these challenges as much of our pain has come already and I think theirs is still to come. I've thought that for a while though and it never quite seems to happen.

We need to get out this bloody league asap though.

Bill Milne
14-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Their problem may be that, financially, they won't get much more money at home than they are getting this season and raising prices may have an adverse affect on crowds. Obviously, they will get more from TV etc but this will only push the more brain dead of their fans (a large number admittedly) to demand spending on players, despite the Budgie's warning recently that they only avoided posting a loss due to the continuing funds being pumped in by the faithful each month.

Bostonhibby
14-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Their cash flow will definitely be affected in a way it hasn't been in prior years as they will be paying their business tax bills to the council on time this time around - won't they??????? So that's money they used to blow on wages that they wont have now.

I am sure there are plenty other drains on their normal spending now that they are paying every one on time.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2015, 10:19 AM

Like most Hibbies I have Yam mates and I get on with them just fine, the banter is always good natured. But I have always thought that as a club Hibs have been too soft a touch for too long when it comes to the derby. For the 90 minutes of the derby both on and off the park the Yams should be left in no doubt that we cant frooking stand them.

Bostonhibby
14-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Like most Hibbies I have Yam mates and I get on with them just fine, the banter is always good natured. But I have always thought that as a club Hibs have been too soft a touch for too long when it comes to the derby. For the 90 minutes of the derby both on and off the park the Yams should be left in no doubt that we cant frooking stand them.
I could say the same but I don't think we should ever ignore the main factor, it's about the integrity of the clubs and their financial management and moral compass since at least the mercer era. They really don't care where the money came from or who they stood on to get the advantages they did. Big price for a couple of special relationship cups.