PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hanlon

matty_f
12-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Thought Paul deserved a thread of his own for another outstanding performance today. I can remember him coming into the team from the youths and people talking about his potential. I think he has developed into a cracking player, he reads the game exceptionally well and has added the strength to his game that was perhaps missing when he first broke through.
I think he's a genuinely classy player and a joy to watch at times.

Jonnyboy
12-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Thought Paul deserved a thread of his own for another outstanding performance today. I can remember him coming into the team from the youths and people talking about his potential. I think he has developed into a cracking player, he reads the game exceptionally well and has added the strength to his game that was perhaps missing when he first broke through.

Could not agree more, Matty :agree:

Smartie
12-04-2015, 10:36 PM
:agree:

In the last 2 games he's read the game brilliantly and made some quality interceptions.

I also think he's added a bit more strength to his game. He was often accused of being weak and sometimes bullied by bigger strikers. We'll he did an excellent job against Zeefuik and Sow today and was never bullied. He also showed some impressive strength and aggression to get on the end of the cross for his goal on Wednesday.

An excellent player.

Vault Boy
12-04-2015, 10:40 PM

Spot on. I don't think Paul has ever really let us down despite the number of farcical years and results he's experienced - he hasn't let that prevent him from developing into a fine player. I hope himself and Lewis are able to enjoy the rest of their Hibs' careers with some success, it's deserved.

Stantons Angel
12-04-2015, 11:12 PM

I was just saying to a guy next to me today how good a player Paul is, i think he is completely underrated and should have full Scotland caps to go with the ones he has gained at other levels.

That tackle from Jordan this afternoon was superb too and Hanlon took the force of the ball full on the face after that.

Its hard to believe he is still so young. A great wee player and a really nice chap too!

Shrekko
12-04-2015, 11:45 PM
Still has the odd mistake in him but he should really be playing at a higher level. Oozes class, and I love watching a centre half so good on the ball. I'd say he's as good as Danny Wilson.

Scottie
12-04-2015, 11:57 PM
Massive difference having a good centre half next to him in Fontaine.

Paul looks the part now and is improving season on season. :aok:

The_Exile
13-04-2015, 12:02 AM
He's hard as nails, loves a tackle and as mentioned, reads the defensive side of things really well. The big man next to him is every bit as good anaw.

monktonharp
13-04-2015, 12:44 AM
:agree:

In the last 2 games he's read the game brilliantly and made some quality interceptions.

I also think he's added a bit more strength to his game. He was often accused of being weak and sometimes bullied by bigger strikers. We'll he did an excellent job against Zeefuik and Sow today and was never bullied. He also showed some impressive strength and aggression to get on the end of the cross for his goal on Wednesday.

An excellent player.:agree:excellent performace.

Baader
13-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Hugely underrated in my opinion. Has a bit of class about him which is overlooked because he doesnt thunder into challenges like any pub team centre half can do. Hanlons omission last season was overlooked and I don't think we'd have gone down if he'd have stayed fit. Fontaine it must be said has been an excellent signing.

Fergos
13-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Another good game from PH yesterday.

I'm sure he's one of those players that will get better and better with age. Great to see him playing well, and you saw how much it meant to him at the final whistle yesterday

GGTTH

Brightside
13-04-2015, 06:22 AM
Still has the odd mistake in him but he should really be playing at a higher level. Oozes class, and I love watching a centre half so good on the ball. I'd say he's as good as Danny Wilson.

????? Danny Wilson? He is 100 times the player he is.

JimBHibees
13-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Played really well yesterday and the best bit for me was when he slammed Sow into the hoardings at the Dunbar end. It is the strength aspect he has lacked so great to see that happening.

MSK
13-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Played really well yesterday and the best bit for me was when he slammed Sow into the hoardings at the Dunbar end. It is the strength aspect he has lacked so great to see that happening.Also when he "brushed" Zefuik aside early in the first half & Zefuik hit the deck...that would be like shoulder challenging a rhino !!

Nameless
13-04-2015, 08:12 AM
????? Danny Wilson? He is 100 times the player he is.

Wilson might play for the wrong team, but he is probably the second best CH in this league, after Liam.

Brightside
13-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Wilson might play for the wrong team, but he is probably the second best CH in this league, after Liam.

Really? How many headers did he win yesterday? Where was he for the first goal? Hanlon and Fontaine are the two best in the league - by a long way.

scoopyboy
13-04-2015, 11:40 AM

When Paul first broke into the Scotland under 19 squad I asked who the best Scottish players were in that age group. I was told the best by far was Daniel Wilson of Rangers. At that time it showed and he was the best player.

They both stepped up to the 21s the same season and I went to a lot of their games. The gap had narrowed and there wasn't much between them then Wilson moved from Rangers to Liverpool. The next game I saw them in was the play off match against Iceland at Easter Road and I thought Paul was head and shoulders above Wilson and for me it has stayed that way since.

I've heard the rumours about Wilson to Celtic and the best explanation I've heard to date is that there is a relatively low buy out in the Hearts contract (~£350,000) and that Celtic don't see that as a major gamble.

Nameless
13-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Really? How many headers did he win yesterday? Where was he for the first goal? Hanlon and Fontaine are the two best in the league - by a long way.

I'm not basing my opinion on one game, are you?

3pm
13-04-2015, 12:18 PM

My Hertz mates were round watching the golf last night - they don't agree. They think he's garbage. Think he'd be better at left back.

Nameless
13-04-2015, 12:21 PM
When Paul first broke into the Scotland under 19 squad I asked who the best Scottish players were in that age group. I was told the best by far was Daniel Wilson of Rangers. At that time it showed and he was the best player.

They both stepped up to the 21s the same season and I went to a lot of their games. The gap had narrowed and there wasn't much between them then Wilson moved from Rangers to Liverpool. The next game I saw them in was the play off match against Iceland at Easter Road and I thought Paul was head and shoulders above Wilson and for me it has stayed that way since.

Just my opinion. I appreciate you have seen more of the 2 as they have progressed, but I think right now, Wilson is marginally better. If Hanlon was a yard quicker he'd be in the top 5 in Scotland.

patlowe
13-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Paul Hanlon has been a tad unfortunate in the timing of his rise into the first team - we really have had a dire set of managers and players in that time, although I'm sure he would be willing to shoulder some of that blame also. He has also had a tendency to switch off at crucial moments or to be out-muscled which has led to goals against us in the past. However, he's got class and composure, and could still yet make it as a top player.

Let's not kid ourselves though, if one of the Falkirk boys knocks him over and runs through and scores next week, it'll be the usual "too weak", "never convinced me" and "will never reach his potential" criticisms that flood this message board on the rare occasions he makes a mistake.

hibees 7062
13-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Confidence is sky high , not scared to try things anymore

scoopyboy
13-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Just my opinion. I appreciate you have seen more of the 2 as they have progressed, but I think right now, Wilson is marginally better. If Hanlon was a yard quicker he'd be in the top 5 in Scotland.

And there is nothing wrong with your opinion.

I think moving from Rangers to Liverpool slowed his progress down or even knocked him back.

David Weir was brilliant for him at Ibrox and helped him no end, Paul has never really had much help until this season and Liam Fontaine joined the club.

Only my opinion of course.:greengrin:flag:

Big_Franck
13-04-2015, 12:57 PM
Along with Fontaine and Forster I thought Hanlon was brilliant yesterday.

He seems to have bulked up a bit since the start of the season (as has Stevenson I think) and now seems more able to cope with whichever fat mess the jambos have playing as their centre forward. If Zeefuik leaves you can guarantee Levein will replace him with another De Vries/Kyle/Nade type. That used to cause us problems, not with the centre halves we have now though.

Nameless
13-04-2015, 01:02 PM
And there is nothing wrong with your opinion.

I think moving from Rangers to Liverpool slowed his progress down or even knocked him back.

David Weir was brilliant for him at Ibrox and helped him no end, Paul has never really had much help until this season and Liam Fontaine joined the club.

Only my opinion of course.:greengrin:flag:

That's an excellent point - this is the first time he has had a partner he can learn from.

hibees 7062
13-04-2015, 02:03 PM
Along with Fontaine and Forster I thought Hanlon was brilliant yesterday.

He seems to have bulked up a bit since the start of the season (as has Stevenson I think) and now seems more able to cope with whichever fat mess the jambos have playing as their centre forward. If Zeefuik leaves you can guarantee Levein will replace him with another De Vries/Kyle/Nade type. That used to cause us problems, not with the centre halves we have now though.

This :agree:

stoneyburn hibs
13-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Hanlon should grow a beard, a back 3 with beards would have any opposition bricking it.

kaimendhibs
13-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Hanlon should grow a beard, a back 3 with beards would have any opposition bricking it.

😂😂