PDA

View Full Version : Salary cap

Ozyhibby
10-04-2015, 11:24 AM
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-statement-regarding-perth-glory/rkywtf305w5z1glksczre2xla

Perth Glory get caught paying players outside their contracts.
Shows that a a salary cap can be enforced.
Wish we had one in Scotland.

MSK
10-04-2015, 11:50 AM
http://www.a-league.com.au/article/ffa-statement-regarding-perth-glory/rkywtf305w5z1glksczre2xla

Wish we had one in Scotland.Think auld Jim Mclean had a similar thing with Dundee Utd ..players on a fixed wage but bonuses built into wins/draws/goals etc ..my auld mucker Gordon Mcleod played for them at the time & I think he, Gough, Malpas, Hegarty etc were on something like £250/£350 a week before bonuses ...think they still done ok out of it ..played a few euro ties etc ...

Sproule Three
10-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Wish we had one in Scotland.
Have to have a governing body with the baws to enforce it .
cant see that happening with the Scottish fitba beaks

Ozyhibby
10-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Have to have a governing body with the baws to enforce it .
cant see that happening with the Scottish fitba beaks

That's the crucial thing.
A salary cap of £5m per season per team would make the SPFL exciting again and see supporters return.

Thecat23
10-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Think auld Jim Mclean had a similar thing with Dundee Utd ..players on a fixed wage but bonuses built into wins/draws/goals etc ..my auld mucker Gordon Mcleod played for them at the time & I think he, Gough, Malpas, Hegarty etc were on something like £250/£350 a week before bonuses ...think they still done ok out of it ..played a few euro ties etc ...

Utd were famous for that. Many other teams done it as well but Utd done it for years.

MSK
10-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Utd were famous for that. Many other teams done it as well but Utd done it for years.Think Mclean didn't entertain Agents either ...good post from the OP ..you have to wonder if a salary cap would in the long term benefit Scottish clubs or would it hinder them ..since tv revenue & sponsorship dictates nowadays I fear the latter ...

Geo_1875
10-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Utd were famous for that. Many other teams done it as well but Utd done it for years.

I'm sure one of the Edinburgh teams used the same payment method in 1986. They had low/sensible basic with escalating bonuses. It worked so well for the players that they were earning more than most Old Firm players that season. I'm sure they won everything that season.

Thecat23
10-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Think Mclean didn't entertain Agents either ...good post from the OP ..you have to wonder if a salary cap would in the long term benefit Scottish clubs or would it hinder them ..since tv revenue & sponsorship dictates nowadays I fear the latter ...

Yeah it's one to think about and sadly I agree with the last part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
10-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm sure one of the Edinburgh teams used the same payment method in 1986. They had low/sensible basic with escalating bonuses. It worked so well for the players that they were earning more than most Old Firm players that season. I'm sure they won everything that season.

[emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
10-04-2015, 02:14 PM
They did here's a picture of them celebrating :wink:

Billychaotic182
10-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Just watched the NFL movie draft day. How much more exciting would football be if we introduce a draft and a wage cap? Means more excitement and it won't just be the rich teams winning all the time. Plus it would create a total buzz for youth football too. So much potential. What's everyone else is thoughts

Ozyhibby
10-04-2015, 04:20 PM
A salary cap would be great for the game here.

NAE NOOKIE
10-04-2015, 04:29 PM
A salary cap would only work if they had the same in England .. our players would just bugger off down south even more than they do now.

Spudster
10-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Great in theory but practically impossible. Every team in Europe wide would need to sign up for it. The way the NFL works regarding contracts is messed up too, teams can rip up contracts because a player is injured even if it happens on the field of play, players can be traded to another team wether they like it or not etc. There is talk of an NFL London team in the next few years but I can;t see who they could work there system arounf EU employment law.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2015, 05:09 PM
A salary cap set at £5m per season per team would not effect Hibs at all