PDA

View Full Version : Europe IF we get to the Scottish Cup Final against Celtic??

green&left
10-04-2015, 08:13 AM
Anyone know what the script with this is?

IF we get to the Scottish Cup Final and its against Celtic, are we automatically in Europe, even as runners up? Or would we need to win the Scottish cup to get a European place?

I'm sure I read on here that the runners up won't get it and it'l go to 4th place this season but has anything been confirmed?

Michael
10-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Need to win it for Europe. New rule this year.

J-C
10-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Pretty sure you have to be in the top league to qualify if you don't win it.

Keith_M
10-04-2015, 08:26 AM
HERE'S (http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?298392-If-Celtic-win-the-league-and-play-us-in-the-final&highlight=europe+scottish+cup) the most recent thread discussing this topic.

Maybe you'll find the answer in there.

Ryan69
10-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Need to win it for Europe. New rule this year.

Does that rule not apply from 2015-2016 season?

hibee92
10-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Must win the cup to qualify. If you win it and qualify through the league it goes to the next team in the premiership

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Play Celtic in Final, and no matter the result, we will be in Europe

Billy Whizz
10-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Are you 100% on this?

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Are you 100% on this?

I thought it had changed billy but he told me on Wednesday that we will get Europe if we get to the final and play celtic.

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2015, 05:54 PM
Are you 100% on this?

Yes, LD confirmed it when I asked her........

Billy Whizz
10-04-2015, 05:54 PM
I thought it had changed billy but he told me on Wednesday that we will get Europe if we get to the final and play celtic.

Me too, not counting any chickens though

Edit somebody better update Wikipedia, as they say we don't

bigwheel
10-04-2015, 05:55 PM
If we were to get there we would end up with European games at the end of June again - no thanks If it happens I hope we play the 19's and simply take time to focus on a good pre season.....

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Yes, LD confirmed it when I asked her........

Did you ask her about a guard of honour for them at the same time?

Baldy Foghorn
10-04-2015, 05:58 PM
Did you ask her about a guard of honour for them at the same time?

Unless I'm clairvoyant?? I asked about Europe weeks ago...........

trev the hat
10-04-2015, 07:19 PM

I don't think that's right mate, win the trophy our only route is my understanding .

Del Boy
10-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Need to win it. Rule changed this season.

hibee92
10-04-2015, 07:21 PM

Sorry mate. Don't mean to be abrasive or anything but I don't think that's right.

LancashireHibby
10-04-2015, 07:49 PM
I thought we were the last team who could qualify as runners up?

sundo1875
10-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Does anyone really want to be in Europe anyway? Think it is a poor rule that you can get into Europe by winning 4 games and losing the final.

LancsHibs
10-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Does anyone really want to be in Europe anyway? Think it is a poor rule that you can get into Europe by winning 4 games and losing the final.

I would take it, love a Euro trip :-)

Nando™
10-04-2015, 10:18 PM

Aye I really want to be in European competition!

Agree it's a poor rule though.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 11:16 PM
Would be good to get a euro away day out of it. Rather win it and qualify properly though.

lucky
11-04-2015, 06:34 AM

Yes, the away games are brilliant. 2/3 days away on the drink surrounded by fellow Hibbees supporting the team can't beat it

Niffy
11-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Falkirk in Europe !

:stirrer::stirrer::stirrer:

Keith_M
11-04-2015, 07:05 AM
On a more important topic.

Do Hearts get to play in Europe for winning the second tier of Scottish Football? If not, they really need to start slagging EUFA off in all the Newspapers

Aldo
11-04-2015, 07:12 AM
On a more important topic. Do Hearts get to play in Europe for winning the second tier of Scottish Football? If not, they really need to start slagging EUFA off in all the Newspapers

When was the last time they played in the Champions League??

Sure it was mentioned by some of them at some point in the 5 or 6 years??

AlbertK86
11-04-2015, 07:20 AM
When was the last time they played in the Champions League?? Sure it was mentioned by some of them at some point in the 5 or 6 years??

Did they not win it like predicted by mad Vlad 😏

Aldo
11-04-2015, 07:28 AM
Did they not win it like predicted by mad Vlad dde0f

Just can't remember tbh AK??:-) All that money as well but just Naw!!

KirkyHibs
11-04-2015, 07:29 AM
http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/ we would qualify according to SPFL

greenlex
11-04-2015, 08:02 AM

They have in fact never played in the Champions League. They once got to play in the qualifiers but didn't qualify. Thought I would clear that up.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Cheers for the link.

So, no more debate necessary :aok:

"In the event that the Scottish Cup winners have qualified for the Champions League, the Scottish Cup runners-up will qualify for the Europa League but will enter at qualifying round 1. If this happens, then the Scottish Premiership third place club will enter the Europa League at qualifying round 2."

So it looks like Falkirk do indeed have a great chance of playing in Europe :wink:
That's this year's EUFA competitions, not next season's

Keith_M
11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Here's the date of the draw and the early rounds:

1st and 2nd round Draw: 22 June 2015

1st Round Matches: 2 July 2015 & 9 July 2015

2nd Round Matches: 16 July 2015 & 23 July 2015

Keith_M
11-04-2015, 08:20 AM
That's this year's EUFA competitions, not next season's

Aw cr*p.

Just when it looked like it was decided.

Aldo
11-04-2015, 09:03 AM
They have in fact never played in the Champions League. They once got to play in the qualifiers but didn't qualify. Thought I would clear that up.

:-)

bigwheel
11-04-2015, 09:07 AM
I'm really surprised how many people want us to get in to Europe...I know away days in Europe are great fun, but does anyone recall how disruptive this is for the season.. If we get into playoff final we will be playing probably into June...the first games would be July 1st/2nd is...It would give the players a two week break...

No thanks from me - Whichever division we are in, that it no way to prepare for the season...

Andy74
11-04-2015, 09:09 AM
I'm really surprised how many people want us to get in to Europe...I know away days in Europe are great fun, but does anyone recall how disruptive this is for the season.. If we get into playoff final we will be playing probably into June...the first games would be July 1st/2nd is...It would give the players a two week break...

No thanks from me - Whichever division we are in, that it no way to prepare for the season...

Well we play most seasons with the ultimate aim of trying to qualify for Europe so of course we would take it.

bigwheel
11-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Well we play most seasons with the ultimate aim of trying to qualify for Europe so of course we would take it.

I'm sure you are right..I'm simply pointing out that anytime we have qualified in recent years, it's been pretty much a disaster. And this season has some specific challenges around it in terms of very late finish... I don't think it will be a helpful event for next season. Anyway, it's all hypothetical..Falkirk and Inverness could easily impact it..

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2015, 09:22 AM

If we are still in the Championship next season, i'd imagine any European games we might have would be the only games i'd actually go to.

And i'd put money on i'd not be alone in that, Europe is as Andy says the rewards for any kind of success we may have.

Getting to the top end of the SPL or whatever its called these days is our obvious aim, and for me the delights of Alloa or Dumbarton holds no interest.

Until such times as we are back in the top league and actually competing at the right end, then European games or big cup games will be the only games some folk will feel are worth it.

majorhibs
11-04-2015, 09:23 AM

Overthinking nowadays, eh? What if the players were ONLY getting a 2 week break cos of our recent promotion & cup success? Still no thanks? Would be a big thanks from me! :agree:

scottish_sleepy
11-04-2015, 09:30 AM
http://spfl.co.uk/spfl/europe-201415/ we would qualify according to SPFL

That's was for playing in this year's competitions.
You need to find the page for next year.
They've probably not written it yet though as they've got to find a way to get the rangers in 😁😁

bigwheel
11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Overthinking nowadays, eh? What if the players were ONLY getting a 2 week break cos of our recent promotion & cup success? Still no thanks? Would be a big thanks from me! :agree:

That's a scenario of celebration...please let that happen :) my point is around the usefulness of Europe

bigwheel
11-04-2015, 09:41 AM
If we are still in the Championship next season, i'd imagine any European games we might have would be the only games i'd actually go to.

And i'd put money on i'd not be alone in that, Europe is as Andy says the rewards for any kind of success we may have.

Getting to the top end of the SPL or whatever its called these days is our obvious aim, and for me the delights of Alloa or Dumbarton holds no interest.

Until such times as we are back in the top league and actually competing at the right end, then European games or big cup games will be the only games some folk will feel are worth it.

True - and I'm sure many will rarely be back whichever division we are in...there seems to have been a massive drift away from regular attendance...it's hard to challenge anyone on that

majorhibs
11-04-2015, 09:54 AM
That's a scenario of celebration...please let that happen :) my point is around the usefulness of Europe

Beat hertz- Europe- SC- high as possible- dont worry about the day you've never seen- my tastes are quite simple, & I dont want to exclude anything because of worry about what might happen. But just beat the cheats 1st & foremost for me. :flag:

The Sundance Kid
11-04-2015, 02:40 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2137611.html

• Performances in domestic leagues will be rewarded. If a national cup winner has booked a UEFA Champions League spot, the highest-ranked club in their domestic league not already qualified for the UEFA Europa League will qualify for the competition; national cup runners-up no longer qualify.

Seems like we'll just have to go and win it then

Keith_M
11-04-2015, 02:44 PM

:tub4:

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2015, 02:51 PM

Nae sweat Blackpool ..... the rest of us will do our best to keep the club going to try and make sure the folk who only think its worth supporting the club when its doing well have something to look forward to :aok:

scoopyboy
11-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Nae sweat Blackpool ..... the rest of us will do our best to keep the club going to try and make sure the folk who only think its worth supporting the club when its doing well have something to look forward to :aok:

Maybe Blackpool has called it right.

We should all stop going en bloc until we are back in the top six of the top league and have qualified for Europe.

To hell wi the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton we should all wait until the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, etc come calling.

Nothing flawed in my logic is there? :cb

Green Cabbage 7
11-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Eh never as they were knocked out in the qualifiers ha ha

blackpoolhibs
11-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Maybe Blackpool has called it right.

We should all stop going en bloc until we are back in the top six of the top league and have qualified for Europe.

To hell wi the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton we should all wait until the likes of Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen, etc come calling.

Nothing flawed in my logic is there? :cb

Nae problem with that way of thinking, i'm never saying you should stop going because thats not right. But ignoring why some folk are not turning up and turning on them does make me laugh

Especially when there's threads about having displays and videos put up here with folk proud as punch of Sunshine on Leith being sung by 35 thousand Hibs fans.

Who are these folk that made up MOST of the supporters in that video, or held up pieces of cardboard to make the fantastic scene those displays made?

If i still lived up the road, i'd probably be there most weeks, but i do understand just why crowds are down and why they are not returning.

I think its great that some folk will go no matter whats happened.

hibeemikey21
11-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Nae problem with that way of thinking, i'm never saying you should stop going because thats not right. But ignoring why some folk are not turning up and turning on them does make me laugh

Especially when there's threads about having displays and videos put up here with folk proud as punch of Sunshine on Leith being sung by 35 thousand Hibs fans.

Who are these folk that made up MOST of the supporters in that video, or held up pieces of cardboard to make the fantastic scene those displays made?

If i still lived up the road, i'd probably be there most weeks, but i do understand just why crowds are down and why they are not returning.

I think its great that some folk will go no matter whats happened.

A very good and balanced response.

monktonharp
11-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Play Celtic in Final, and no matter the result, we will be in Europe not if Nigel Forage gets his way:wink:

Jim44
11-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Putting aside opinions, speculation, wishful thinking and ignorance, does anybody actually know this season's rule?

tamig
11-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Putting aside opinions, speculation, wishful thinking and ignorance, does anybody actually know this season's rule?

Theres a post a few up from the UEFA website indicating its only the cup winners now. No prize for the runners up.

Jim44
11-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Theres a post a few up from the UEFA website indicating its only the cup winners now. No prize for the runners up.

So we'll just have to beat ICT in the final. :-)

Hermit Crab
11-04-2015, 07:18 PM
So we'll just have to beat ICT in the final. :-)

Would take either of them, both teams looked gash today!

green&left
15-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Just for clarification/conformation...

Fingers crossed for a good pre-season trip then (only if we don't go onto win it of course :wink: ) :party:

As a result of that ranking, Scottish entrants to UEFA’s competitions for 2015/16 will be as follows:

Scottish Premiership Champions
Champions League qualifying round 2 (Champions pathway)
Dates: July 14/15 & July 21/22

Scottish Cup winners
Europa League qualifying round 2
Dates: July 16 & 23

Scottish Premiership runners-up
Europa League qualifying round 1
Dates: July 2 & 9

Scottish Premiership third place
Europa League qualifying round 1
Dates: July 2 & 9

* If the Scottish Cup is also won by the Premiership champions then the Scottish Cup berth will go to the Premiership runners-up and the fourth-placed club in the Premiership will also qualify for the Europa League.

Read more at http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/european-places-201516/#uj5YHf31LzTJbkTL.99

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/european-places-201516/

Billy Whizz
15-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Just for clarification/conformation...

Fingers crossed for a good pre-season trip then :party:

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/european-places-201516/

Glad they've clarified it, let's just win the damned thing

Keith_M
15-04-2015, 11:08 AM
FWIW, I totally agree with the ruling on not giving the European place to the Cup Runners Up.

The team qualifying by league position surely deserves it more.