PDA

View Full Version : Scores of Football Clubs could lose their Club Crests

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Just read in the Sunday Post that Airdrie have been ordered to redesign their badge (http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/uk/heraldry-laws-mean-top-football-clubs-may-lose-their-crests-1.860278) as it breaks a 500 year old heraldry rule.

Apparently, it is illegal to use a heraldic crest with either letters or numbers on it. The Lord Lyon of Scotland has already ruled that Airdrie have breached this rule, hence they have had to create a new design.

If this rule was strictly applied, scores of Clubs throughout the UK would have to re-design their Club Crests (or it may just be that laws only ever apply to small Clubs)

FWIW, Hibs have previously fallen foul of the Lord Lyon. They were the ones that insisted we stop using the Crown Badge in the 80s

givescotlandfreedom
09-04-2015, 04:29 PM
I see apparently Airdrie have used the same badge since 1950. Sevco rules being applied.

Ringothedog
09-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Just read in the Sunday Post that Airdrie have been ordered to redesign their badge (http://www.sundaypost.com/news-views/uk/heraldry-laws-mean-top-football-clubs-may-lose-their-crests-1.860278) as it breaks a 500 year old heraldry rule.

Apparently, it is illegal to use a heraldic crest with either letters or numbers on it. The Lord Lyon of Scotland has already ruled that Airdrie have breached this rule, hence they have had to create a new design.

If this rule was strictly applied, scores of Clubs throughout the UK would have to re-design their Club Crests (or it may just be that laws only ever apply to small Clubs)

FWIW, Hibs have previously fallen foul of the Lord Lyon. They were the ones that insisted we stop using the Crown Badge in the 80s

The Lord Lyon is only for Scotland

Peevemor
09-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Loadypish in this day and age.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2015, 06:49 PM
As far as I remember Hibs had to run our current badge past the Lord Lyon before it got the go ahead.

Sports clubs use heraldic deigns because in some cases ( like us) its a way of representing the clubs history, or for the most part because it looks good and its a bit of fun. Nobody actually cares about the archaic usage any more apart from the upper crust. The Lord Lyon and his English counterpart need to lighten up.

What does annoy me is Formartine FC being told they couldn't use the Saltire in their badge ... that's the flag of the people of Scotland and as far as I'm concerned no stuck up establishment nob should be telling Scottish folk how or when they can use it. Its actually illegal for folk to fly the Lion Rampant because it belongs to the royal family .... who pays any attention to that law?, as far as I'm concerned it should, and does, belong to the people too.

:saltireflag

Jumbo
09-04-2015, 06:59 PM
A load of nonsense in this day and age, there is apparently a group of tattooed Airdrie supporters who have asked if they'll have to cut off their arms or legs if badge ruled illegal 😆

MSK
09-04-2015, 07:01 PM
As far as I remember Hibs had to run our current badge past the Lord Lyon before it got the go ahead.

Sports clubs use heraldic deigns because in some cases ( like us) its a way of representing the clubs history, or for the most part because it looks good and its a bit of fun. Nobody actually cares about the archaic usage any more apart from the upper crust. The Lord Lyon and his English counterpart need to lighten up.

What does annoy me is Formartine FC being told they couldn't use the Saltire in their badge ... that's the flag of the people of Scotland and as far as I'm concerned no stuck up establishment nob should be telling Scottish folk how or when they can use it. Its actually illegal for folk to fly the Lion Rampant because it belongs to the royal family .... who pays any attention to that law?, as far as I'm concerned it should, and does, belong to the people too.

:saltireflagJeezo ...I have the ball & crown tat on my fore arm ...wonder if I will get a chap on the door fi Lyons troops armed wi a bacon slicer !! ...:greengrin

MSK
09-04-2015, 07:02 PM
A load of nonsense in this day and age, there is apparently a group of tattooed Airdrie supporters who have asked if they'll have to cut off their arms or legs if badge ruled illegal As its Airdrie fans ...yes ...they should ...:greengrin

lyonhibs
09-04-2015, 07:10 PM
An entirely necessary rule to keep civil order and the structure of society together........

One Day
09-04-2015, 07:10 PM
As its Airdrie fans ...yes ...they should ...:greengrin

Even if the don't have tattoo's

MSK
09-04-2015, 07:11 PM
As its Airdrie fans ...yes ...they should ...:greengrin

Even if the don't have tattoo'sJust for the fun factor ...:greengrin

Ozyhibby
09-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Is this what's happened to the new Rangers?

Canongatehibs
09-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Only these islands could produce such pompous rules. what a lot of *****.

fatbloke
09-04-2015, 08:29 PM

I thought he was a biscuit maker:greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
10-04-2015, 07:23 AM
Only these islands could produce such pompous rules. what a lot of *****.

Agreed, such a bloody nanny state ruled by a bunch of stuck up bellends, who pays these idiots for bringing this up? piss off and leave our beautiful game alone!

:agree:

Bostonhibby
10-04-2015, 07:27 AM
A load of nonsense in this day and age, there is apparently a group of tattooed Airdrie supporters who have asked if they'll have to cut off their arms or legs if badge ruled illegal 

Well they have to eat like the rest of us.

Keith_M
10-04-2015, 07:52 AM
The Lord Lyon is only for Scotland

I'm aware of that but if you read the article, you'll see that England has an equivelant body that enforces the same rules.

Bad Martini
10-04-2015, 11:26 AM

:saltireflag

The Peoples Republic of Leith acknowledges no such rules, laws or bylaws. :greengrin

Fly whatever ye like roond these parts...(within reason :greengrin)

steakbake
10-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I always thought The Lord Lyon lived in Edinburgh Zoo. Turns out, it's a wee manny. What a funny world we live in.

Bostonhibby
10-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Is Mike Ashley Leo the lion? Only he has all the rangers badges and other image related crap so maybe he's doing a clean sweep?

hibby67
10-04-2015, 08:11 PM
they could just re-design it as an Orange Sash I’m sure it would be popular :greengrin