PDA

View Full Version : Question Will we get promoted this season

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 10:44 AM
I'm just interested in the gut feelings of the support as a whole right now. I suspect if I'd taken a poll about three weeks ago, it might have been a more straightforward result.

oldbiker
09-04-2015, 10:52 AM
three weeks ago I would have been really confident, the last few games have dented the confidence a bit and showed our fragility, when the desperation games kick in I just wonder if our mental strength will be good enough to take a dunt and come back. I really hope we do make it up and if we do I hope its not to fight relegation again with all the bad stuff that goes with it. Another year to keep the team building going may have a negative affect as well. Guess its the joys of being a hibby :flag:

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Until such time as we cannot actually go up I guess it's OK to believe we can still do it, so I choose to ...

Leithenhibby
09-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Absolutely, the experts on, open all mics seem to think so!!.....

bingo70
09-04-2015, 11:09 AM
I don't think we will. We're making hard work of beating some poor sides just now.

That said momentum is a funny thing, win our next 2 or 3 games and confidence will be sky high again. I'd also say that with the problems the rangers had, their confidence won't be fixed by 2 or 3 wins so they're always one defeat away from a crisis.

Hibernia&Alba
09-04-2015, 11:15 AM
No, I don't think so. A pessimist can't be disappointed, and this is Hibs we're talking about. We'll find a way to blow it :-D

portyhibernian
09-04-2015, 11:38 AM
My opinion has changed on this a few times over the season. A month ago I thought we'd be more than capable, over the last three weeks I'm not so sure. If we're carrying good momentum into the playoffs I'd be more confident but right now I have to say I don't think we're good enough.

IanM
09-04-2015, 11:39 AM
100%.. Got to admit even though it's wasnt performance of the season last night I could tell there's a determination there that we know we're close.

Stubbs has them now playing not only to win but to silence the critics and we'll not lose anymore games. In fact we'll win them all

Colours nailed to the mast haha

CallumLaidlaw
09-04-2015, 11:50 AM
I don't think my opinion has really changed. From the start of the season I've felt that finishing in the playoffs was achievable, but winning over 6 games in the play off would be very tough, especially with a two leg tie against Rangers or Hearts very likely. As it turns out, we are likely to finish 3rd now, and will have to beat Falkirk or QOS over two legs - we have only won 1 game in 7 games against these teams, and if we do win that, we'd need to beat a re-invigorated Rangers team over 2 legs, who you can be sure will have officials on their side to help their cause.

I do feel we've made good progress from May 2014, and if that continues, we should win the Championship next year, but I think its a step too far this season. A cup win would cushion the blow tho :greengrin

I do feel people sometimes focus on individual match performances too much sometimes. Last night we didn't blow dumbarton away, but we got the 3pts. I'm sure there are plenty Hearts fans willing to admit that at times this season they've picked up 3pts without particularly playing well. We are aware that this team is capable of playing very well at times - they have done it several times this season. I'm sure before the season is out we've have some good performances and some poor/average performances, but if we pick up the points/win I won't really mind.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2015, 11:52 AM
My gut feeling is no. I seriously hope I'm wrong, but our record against the top clubs in the league isn't filling me with confidence and even if we make it to the play off final none of the potential second bottom clubs are in free fall like we were last season.

If we can play with the spirit we had in the League cup against Dundee Utd we can beat anybody .... and I mean anybody.

This is all about hope against expectation :greengrin

C'mon the Hibees !!!

:flag:

J-C
09-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Notice a lot of people voted no, a surprise because the guys on Sportsound are still backing Hibs to go up, something I wasn't expecting to hear last night on the radio, not all but the majority of them still backing us.

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Notice a lot of people voted no, a surprise because the guys on Sportsound are still backing Hibs to go up, something I wasn't expecting to hear last night on the radio, not all but the majority of them still backing us.

I'm surprised to hear that as well, as I thought they had all but written us off.

FWIW, I voted no, as I think this team doesn't have the mental strength or dependency in front of goals required.

We'll also have to play 6 games against very determined teams and I sadly can't see us winning through.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2015, 12:36 PM
It's in the balance. A few weeks ago I said definitely. Now I'm not convinced but still think it's possible. Certainly won't be writing us off as some seem absolutely determined to do.

Turkish Green
09-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Forget about the remaining games of the season: Raith and Falkirk lost last night and QOTS play Sevco tonight. A Play-off place looks certain bar a catastrophe of Hibernian proportions.

I voted YES as once a team in in the Play-offs anything can happen over 2 legs & penalties. Last season demonstrated that. Hibs have as much chance of winning promotion as do their rivals.

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 12:44 PM
It's in the balance. A few weeks ago I said definitely. Now I'm not convinced but still think it's possible. Certainly won't be writing us off as some seem absolutely determined to do.

Although I feel the balance of probability is that we won't get promoted, I certainly haven't written us off. I'll be hoping against hope that we manage it.

My feeling is exactly the same as the way I feel about the Semi Final. My opinion is that Falkirk must surely be big favourites, given our results against them this season... but that hasn't stopped me booking flights, tickets and seats on a Bus.... because you just never know :wink:

patlowe
09-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Although I can understand the negativity among fans, no team is going to go into the play-offs feeling comfortable or overly confident that they are going to get through, there are just so many variables to take into account. It's going to be really tough for any team that makes it but Hibs have as good a chance as any IMO. Stubbs' main job now is ensuring that the confidence and positive attitude remain strong in the last few weeks of the season. It sounds obvious but wins against Hearts and Falkirk in the SF would really help to dispel some of the mental hang-ups the players and fans might have at this stage.

ancient hibee
09-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Voted yes-we are capable of beating all the Championship teams.The big imponderable is-who will finish second bottom?If it is Partick after they have been overtaken by Ross and Motherwell that would be the best outcome-anyone else it'll be difficult.I'm constantly perplexed in these threads that nobody seems to give any thought to the most difficult tie-against the Premiership team.

KeithTheHibby
09-04-2015, 04:38 PM
As much as the 3 games prior to last night were disappointing I do think most of us would be delighted to be in this position given our horrendous start.
Of course we can go up. If sevco drop points tonight then renewed optimism amongst the support.

HibsMax
09-04-2015, 04:44 PM
No, I don't think so. A pessimist can't be disappointed, and this is Hibs we're talking about. We'll find a way to blow it :-D
A pessimist can always be disappointed, it just doesn't come as a surprise to them. :wink:

Golden Bear
09-04-2015, 04:45 PM
Hope I'm wrong, but I voted no.

Right now it looks like yet another Hibs team have cacked their drawers at a vital time of the season.

AlbertK86
09-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Although I can understand the negativity among fans, no team is going to go into the play-offs feeling comfortable or overly confident that they are going to get through, there are just so many variables to take into account. It's going to be really tough for any team that makes it but Hibs have as good a chance as any IMO. Stubbs' main job now is ensuring that the confidence and positive attitude remain strong in the last few weeks of the season. It sounds obvious but wins against Hearts and Falkirk in the SF would really help to dispel some of the mental hang-ups the players and fans might have at this stage.

We are due Falkirk a beating and I think we will do it in the SF

the 3-3 game was a joke

We played them off the park for 4/5 of the game but lost a couple of comical goals

If Boyle had put us 4-1 up when he missed the open goal I reckon we would have hit 5 or 6 that day

We are better all over the park than them and the only player I would consider for our team is Sibbald

Think we will draw Sunday against them, win the semi and then win the last 3 league games. Also think big Farid will be the difference and will be suitably sharpened up with a few goals under his belt by the time the play offs start

If I'm right I think our confidence will be up and I think we can beat all the teams we are likely to play in the play offs so yes I say we will go up.

GGTTH

Smartie
09-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes for me.

There's still a lot of football to be played between now and the end of the season. Getting 2nd would help a lot but not the end of the world if we didn't get it. I had a look at the schedule of games for the playoffs and it doesn't look as harsh as you would think. I think we have pretty good squad depth to cope with the quick fire games and the momentum that comes from winning a couple of games might be better than 2nd place sitting idle for a couple of weeks.

I actually think the semi-final is the key game between now and then. It's been rumoured that contract extensions will be offered if we win that game which I think would be significant. Players will be more likely to give that bit extra if they know they are sticking around, we'll have blown the "Falkirk bogey team" nonsense, we'll also have belief that we can win on the big stage. Or more to the point, none of the above if we lose.

I think our wobble can still be turned into a good thing. Better have the deficiencies exposed now that in the playoffs, gives Stubbs and the players some time to do something about it.

We're a bit of composure in front of goal away from absolutely pumping some of these teams. I'd be far more worried if we were going weeks without creating any chances (as was the problem last year).

And lets not big The Rangers up too much yet. Their dander is up right now but Ibrox can turn on their own players very quickly if things don't go their way. They have been enough of a pantomime over the past few months and years - on and off the park - for us to give them too much respect. We need to give them some respect because they have improved as a team, have some decent players and a far better manager than before (I don't think we gave them that respect the last time we played them and we're caught on the hop expecting only to turn up and beat them). They don't turn into an unstoppable force overnight though and we've done enough in our head to heads to go into any game with them with confidence.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2015, 05:47 PM
I think we will miss out. Did not expect us to get back up in one go.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Before we played Sevco a few weeks ago, I was almost certain of being promoted.

Now, four games later, my gut feeling is that we'll fall short in the play offs and Sevco will go up.

I don't think we're playing well enough at the moment to get promoted.

DH1875
09-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Everyone talks about us and the rangers. Reckon QOS will have a lot to say about who gets promoted and who doesnt.

bigwheel
09-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Everyone talks about us and the rangers. Reckon QOS will have a lot to say about who gets promoted and who doesnt.

Agreed. They are as good a side as any of the teams...they will be hard to beat over two legs...

Scottie
09-04-2015, 08:59 PM
They are a handful at Palmerston on the 4g pitch. They have every chance of upsetting the odds.

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Let's hope the players think more positively than the fans.

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2015, 07:10 AM
Way too close to call, obviously we all hope we do but its not something i'd bet on.

Bill Milne
10-04-2015, 08:14 AM
The way they are going, it could be Hamilton in the playoff. That would be interesting!!

Jim44
10-04-2015, 08:20 AM
I think we have the ability but not the bottle or mental stamina to succeed. Frankly I'm more worried about how we might cope with another year in the Championship. Promotion would far from assured.

lyonhibs
10-04-2015, 09:04 AM
I think we have the ability but not the bottle or mental stamina to succeed. Frankly I'm more worried about how we might cope with another year in the Championship. Promotion would far from assured.

That's where I'm at as well. Repeated crashes of epic proportions (the reasons for which are - IMO - in some way rooted deeper in the club than just the management team in place at any given time) leave one preparing for the worst, so if the best comes to pass, I'll be exceptionally ecstatic.

Wellbankhibby
10-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Hope Im wrong and the Team prove me wrong. I see little chance of promotion and as I said in a previous post I also think we will fall short in the semi against the Bairns. A Word to all the Players Coaches and Manager, PROVE ME WRONG PLEASE.

Lago
10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Here is my worst case scenario, hibs and rangers lose out to say QoS in inital stage of play offs, then QoS play Motherwell or P. T. and win. Following season in the championship would then be an absolute nightmare.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2015, 09:54 PM
The way they are going, it could be Hamilton in the playoff. That would be interesting!!

I would doubt it.

They're 12 points clear of the play off spot, with just six matches left.

It would take some freak results for Hamilton to finish up second bottom.

OsloHibs
10-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Yes.

Ronniekirk
11-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Here is my worst case scenario, hibs and rangers lose out to say QoS in inital stage of play offs, then QoS play Motherwell or P. T. and win. Following season in the championship would then be an absolute nightmare.
I think motherwell or Partick would have to cut costs so might not be able to hang onto some key players although Parachute payment helps them and we wouldn't get that .However Queen of The South if they could put us and Rangers out playoffs but then getting beat and them remaining in Championship i given our results against them could be equally a problem
I would have to admit that if we stay in the Championship I would be more likely to pick and choose my games next season .
I noticed midweek The Rangers brought on some younger players and we haven't managed to do that and you could also argue Foster Stanton and Handling have had less game time this season so if we were to stay down these players haven't shown to date they can cement a place in team at this level Harris has had game time at higher level so would he be prepared to come back down if another club comes in with an Offer and could hibs afford to turn down money for players with gates on the decrease .Its a depressing thought and not one I want to think about too much until things are sorted out .

Billy McKirdy
11-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Voted Yes.
As disappointed as I am, we all are, about the recent defeats, I still think we have it in us to go all the way, there's not much between any team in this league.
We can do it :thumbsup:

Hermit Crab
11-04-2015, 09:16 AM
At this point I think it's unlikely. However, beat hearts tomorrow and beat falkirk next week I'd say we'd be in with a chance. All about confidence.