PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn from last night?

number9dream
09-04-2015, 09:06 AM
Not asking for player ratings as such, just an overview of who did what with an eye on Sunday's derby.

How did Forster and Craig get on? Why was Robertson replaced at HT? Did the front two work well together and should we stick with 3-5-2, even though it sounds like wide right is a problem position with Gray absent?

Thecat23
09-04-2015, 09:24 AM
We learned that playing against 10 men helps us win 😉

Shanksaidno
09-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Wasn't at the game but the points U raise are key . . . Hope someone who was there can come back with some observations

Brightside
09-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Wasn't at the game but the points U raise are key . . . Hope someone who was there can come back with some observations

Robertson felt his hammy.

Froster was fine but rusty in tackle.

Craig was effective enough.

Farid was trying too hard and will score a bucket load soon.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I thought Forster played well, as did Craig. Craig played some lovely passes in the first half and was playing brilliantly imo but hesitated to play a ball into the box about 10 minutes before half-time and got absolute pelters from the fans. Still a lot of mistrust between Craig and the support but imo the midfield looked way more balanced with him in there. I don't think it was a coincidence that Allan had his best game in a while with Craig back in the side.

Boyle did ok at RWB. He didn't have a howler as some are suggesting but he didn't make the position his own, I think we could have played some better balls to him and utilised him better. Then we could see what his end-product is really all about. He did play one very good ball in during the first half that someone put over the bar from about 6 yards (I can't remember who it was).

I think the RHS is a huge problem without Gray being fit, he offers us so much both defensively and going forward. I would prefer Boyle to Watson in a game like yesterday where there is more onus to attack but would probably choose Watson in a game where we might have more defending to do. But I don't think either is the solution tbh. Maybe even McGeoch if he had the positional discipline to stay wide.

We had another huge wobble at the start of the second half. Started the half really badly, we were all at sea. I don't know if it was Robertson going off or maybe just Dumbarton getting a wee rocket at half-time and told to get torn into us. I thought they exploited the space between our wing backs and centre-halves quite well during thus spell and wonder if this was a deliberate tactic. They deserved their goal imo and it may have gone on to be a very different game indeed if they hadn't had their man (idiotically) sent off straight after.

I don't know if we learned that much. Dumbarton pose a different threat to the other games we have coming up. Falkirk and Hearts will provide a bigger test and we will need to be sharper in defence and in front of goal. That said, I thought Dumbarton played quite well. They fought to the end and had the odd chance with the 10 men that might really have punished us for not taking our chances. Had they kept 11 on the park it might have turned out very differently.

I thought that we were really quite good in parts. We created an absolute bucketload of chances - again - which is good. We missed most of them which isn't so good. Farid' all round play was excellent I thought, it was good to see him back in the starting line-up. He was as bad as the rest of them in front of goal though so needs to pull his socks up there.

I thought Hanlon had a quietly efficient game, some superb reading of the play to make excellent interceptions at times. Fontaine also did well, had a quality rampage forward near the end that was probably the highlight of the night.

I think Stubbs may have instructed the players to be a bit greedier because a few of them were taking men on and going for shots in the second half. Didn't lead to much but at least they were getting efforts in.

The forwards really need to time their runs (or the midfield need to time their passes) a bit better because the number of times we got caught offside was infuriating.

Sorry if it is a bit rambling but there are a few examples of how I saw it.

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Not asking for player ratings as such, just an overview of who did what with an eye on Sunday's derby.

How did Forster and Craig get on? Why was Robertson replaced at HT? Did the front two work well together and should we stick with 3-5-2, even though it sounds like wide right is a problem position with Gray absent?

We're not very good, perhaps? I listened to HIbs TV last night and saw the highlights today - while we had lots of chances, our strikers are pretty poor overall - Cummings scored, but many of his "efforts" were weak or poor to awful in their execution, and El Alagui wasn't much better: he missed some glaring opportunities, not to mention the penalty. Who is supposed to score the goals for us - our defenders? Our defence seemed to be pulled apart at times by the mighty Dumbarton! Better teams will punish us (as they already have) the part timers had us "under the cosh" for spells of the game, and basically blew any chance they may have had of taking anything from the game by a moment of stupidity - Foster's lunge looked bad to me, think he was lucky to get a yellow only, myself. That changed the game for us, otherwise we may have only taken a point, or maybe Cummings would still have "struck" ... I actually think we have some decent players in the team, but the team as such doesn't work hard enough or seem to really know what it is supposed to be doing when moving forward as a unit ... Boyle was a perfect example, he (according to what I heard) seemed to be lost - is that his fault, or is the management team simply not working hard enough?

B.H.F.C
09-04-2015, 11:19 AM
That we will need to be better than that to get promoted. Taking our chances is still an issue.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Craig must play on Sunday

Brightside
09-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Mods / Admins - is there an Ignore function on the forum?

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2015, 11:44 AM
We're not very good, perhaps? I listened to HIbs TV last night and saw the highlights today - while we had lots of chances, our strikers are pretty poor overall - Cummings scored, but many of his "efforts" were weak or poor to awful in their execution, and El Alagui wasn't much better: he missed some glaring opportunities, not to mention the penalty. Who is supposed to score the goals for us - our defenders? Our defence seemed to be pulled apart at times by the mighty Dumbarton! Better teams will punish us (as they already have) the part timers had us "under the cosh" for spells of the game, and basically blew any chance they may have had of taking anything from the game by a moment of stupidity - Foster's lunge looked bad to me, think he was lucky to get a yellow only, myself. That changed the game for us, otherwise we may have only taken a point, or maybe Cummings would still have "struck" ... I actually think we have some decent players in the team, but the team as such doesn't work hard enough or seem to really know what it is supposed to be doing when moving forward as a unit ... Boyle was a perfect example, he (according to what I heard) seemed to be lost - is that his fault, or is the management team simply not working hard enough?

What a conclusion from listening to the game

Peevemor
09-04-2015, 11:55 AM

I certainly wouldn't take a Cliff Pike commentary as gospel. He's a Hibs fan and commentates as such. There have been times when, IMHO, he's been over the top with criticism of certain players.

J-C
09-04-2015, 11:56 AM
Can't believe some people having a go at Alagui for his quality of finishing, he done his achilles early in the season and has only just came back, some people take a year to recover from this, he's naturally going to be a bit rusty but deary me having a go at him for not scoring 4-5 goals a game is beyond a joke. :confused:

Stevie Reid
09-04-2015, 12:04 PM
We're not very good, perhaps? I listened to HIbs TV last night and saw the highlights today - while we had lots of chances, our strikers are pretty poor overall - Cummings scored, but many of his "efforts" were weak or poor to awful in their execution, and El Alagui wasn't much better: he missed some glaring opportunities, not to mention the penalty. Who is supposed to score the goals for us - our defenders?

Jason Cummings - 16 goals in 35 appearances
Dominique Malonga - 13 goals in 24 appearances
Farid Al Agui - 4 goals in 9 appearances

Overall - 33 in 68 appearances (including all sub appearances)

Good ratios, even for this league.

Turkish Green
09-04-2015, 12:24 PM
What last night shows is what has been the problem all season when opponents sit back and pack their defence. We do not have a quality nutcracker. Which is why I was so disappointed with the performance against Sevco.

Nothing from last night enlightens in respect to a derby game. It was 3 pts won. I feel pretty confident that Stubbs will get his tactics right on Sunday.

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 12:27 PM

Ah, but I also saw the highlights ... it's an opinion - you don't like it - fair enough

Mikey
09-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Ah, but I also saw the highlights ... it's an opinion - you don't like it - fair enough

That was a very well timed edit. The door was opening..........

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Yeah - we're all fans of the same club, I guess .... :greengrin

TrinityHibs
09-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Yeah - we're all fans of the same club, I guess .... :greengrin

Not sure that guess is correct PJ going by some of the comments from some of the newer posters or to be fair some of the older posters as well:greengrin

Diclonius
09-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Jason Cummings - 16 goals in 35 appearances
Dominique Malonga - 13 goals in 24 appearances
Farid Al Agui - 4 goals in 9 appearances

Overall - 33 in 68 appearances (including all sub appearances)

Good ratios, even for this league.

:agree:

I remember posting the stats of our strikers at the start of the season and they were woeful to say the least. Where we are now is miles ahead.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Can't believe some people having a go at Alagui for his quality of finishing, he done his achilles early in the season and has only just came back, some people take a year to recover from this, he's naturally going to be a bit rusty but deary me having a go at him for not scoring 4-5 goals a game is beyond a joke. :confused:

Last night was the first time I've sen him since he returned from injury.

As I said I thought his all round play was first class. He linked up play, won headers and I thought we looked much better up front with him there than we have without.

There is no escaping the fact that he was poor in front of goal - he would surely tell you that himself. We're not excepting him to score 4 or 5 goals which would be 100% of his chances. If he'd taken one, even he'd scored the penalty then it would have been an excellent evening's work.

As long as the team is winning games then I'm happy. Even if strikers aren't scoring, if they're grafting, making space and pulling defenders about then they are doing enough. But there are many people out there who judge strikers on their goals and their finishing and this is the department he fell short in last night.

It will come, I'm sure of it. I like him and think he's a good player but his finishing needs to improve on last night's showing.

essexhibee
09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
Craig to start the derby then? Didn't see last nights game but maybe he is a better option and bring fyvie on later in the game?

Smartie
09-04-2015, 01:39 PM
Craig to start the derby then? Didn't see last nights game but maybe he is a better option and bring fyvie on later in the game?

I would 100% start with Craig.

We've looked a poorer team without him and he played well last night.

More often than not he has put in a shift in our big games this season too.

essexhibee
09-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Might be because he complements Allan better in that he allows him to go further forward and play instead of having to come deep whilst Liam can sit. As I said I haven't seen the last two games to really comment but against Rangers he looked to me to have to be coming deep for the ball too often. Want him further up the park.

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2015, 01:58 PM

Would have loved to have seen it "pre-edit"

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2015, 02:00 PM

The usual when you don't have anything to back it up "it's my opinion". You are entitled to your opinion however when it is filled with such nonsense then be prepared for folk challenging it

MSK
09-04-2015, 02:04 PM
Mods / Admins - is there an Ignore function on the forum?Yes ..

jacomo
09-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Great. Having another in-form option in midfield has to be a good thing.

greenlex
09-04-2015, 02:15 PM
On that performance we won't go up. You need to take your chances against better sides and we are looking fragile at the back. Won't finish 2nd and won't progress past six games against better opposition.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 02:21 PM
On that performance we won't go up. You need to take your chances against better sides and we are looking fragile at the back. Won't finish 2nd and won't progress past six games against better opposition.

Depends on whether you are a glass half-empty or a glass half-full kind of person.

We got the 3 points and got the job done - that is the most important thing.

We created bucket loads of chances - that is a good thing.

I'd like to say that I have 100% faith in the team and that we were the finished article but I still think we are a work in progress. It would be mad to write us off yet though.

2 key figures who made their first starts in months last night were Forster and El Alagui. Both were a bit rusty but generally did well and will be stronger for the experience of having played last night. This will have contributed to a bit of our slackness at both ends of the park.

I don't think we're far away. It's not beyond the players we have to raise their game and show a bit more composure at both ends of the park.

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 03:22 PM
The usual when you don't have anything to back it up "it's my opinion". You are entitled to your opinion however when it is filled with such nonsense then be prepared for folk challenging it

The usual? Nonsense? Nothing to back it up? What did you back your opinion up with? It's my opinion - what part of that does your tiny brain not compute? You don't have to agree with it. I wrote a post stating what I felt about the OP'S question - you replied with a few moronic meek words, and now you' even asking me to back it up, although you obviously have nothing of note to say yourself. You didn't read my post as you missed my clear reference to the highlights I also saw - so it wasn't just the radio broadcast my opinion was based on, as you claimed. Were you at the game by chance? Anything to say about it yourself, particularly if you see it differently? Or is your best shot just putting people down who don't agree with you ...

Folk "challenging" me doesn't really surprise me - this is a football forum, it's part of the game ! :na na:

By the way - there is an ignore function - if you can't work it out yourself, get someone to help you - you really don't need to read or comment on my posts, stop torturing yourself!

Don't bother replying by the way - guess what?

Brightside
09-04-2015, 03:28 PM
Sorted thanks. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

silverhibee
09-04-2015, 03:39 PM
We also learned some submarine lingo, it was deep stuff man. :wink: :greengrin

Aldo
09-04-2015, 03:54 PM
We also learned some submarine lingo, it was deep stuff man. :wink: :greengrin

You sure did shippers!! It was deeper than a deep thing that's deep. ;-)

heretoday
09-04-2015, 04:09 PM
We learned that Dumbarton is quite nice for a visit but we wouldn't want to live there. :greengrin

PISTOL1875
09-04-2015, 04:56 PM

It's goals that win you games , not performances..

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2015, 05:34 PM
That you can have shed loads of chances and 99% possession but if you don't put any of them away, you will lose to any team that gets one and takes one.

BoomtownHibees
09-04-2015, 06:02 PM
The usual? Nonsense? Nothing to back it up? What did you back your opinion up with? It's my opinion - what part of that does your tiny brain not compute? You don't have to agree with it. I wrote a post stating what I felt about the OP'S question - you replied with a few moronic meek words, and now you' even asking me to back it up, although you obviously have nothing of note to say yourself. You didn't read my post as you missed my clear reference to the highlights I also saw - so it wasn't just the radio broadcast my opinion was based on, as you claimed. Were you at the game by chance? Anything to say about it yourself, particularly if you see it differently? Or is your best shot just putting people down who don't agree with you ...

Folk "challenging" me doesn't really surprise me - this is a football forum, it's part of the game ! :na na:

By the way - there is an ignore function - if you can't work it out yourself, get someone to help you - you really don't need to read or comment on my posts, stop torturing yourself!

Don't bother replying by the way - guess what?

The nonsense you spouted in your post was saying our strikers are poor overall. Somebody above has already posted the stats for our strikers and it doesn't make them look poor in my eyes.

Now, where is that ignore button?

Sir David Gray
09-04-2015, 06:38 PM
First post since the game last night as I got home quite late and went straight to my bed and then had work this morning.

We need to start taking the chances that we create. We must have had about eight or nine good opportunities to score last night and took two of them. To be honest, before the sending off I really wasn't confident at all that we would win the game. At the start of the second half, we looked vulnerable and Dumbarton were on top at the time. Once they went down to ten men, there was only one team in it.

I'm not sure that we're playing well enough at the moment to go up. However, after three straight defeats, it was just important to get the three points last night and it's maybe not such a surprise that we looked a bit shaky at times last night considering our recent form.

On a positive note, the winning goal was very well worked and Scott Allan was very impressive.

Bring on the Jambos. :greengrin