PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan

Hibeesmad
08-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Fantastic tonight, made some terrific passes, especially that one into boyle- unbelievable. He also could of got a couple of goals! Back to his best tonight

hibees 7062
08-04-2015, 11:19 PM
I'm delighted he turned Utd down in Jan :agree:

Ozyhibby
08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Good to hear, if we are to be promoted, he needs to be back to his best and working hard.

pedroorange1875
08-04-2015, 11:35 PM
Scott Allan has been mostly outstanding all season, unfortunately Hibs have been about 3 steps behind.

We have been crying out for Zemmama, yet when we get someone much more consistent and IMO a better player we cannot capitalise on him...make no mistake he is outstanding, only made stupid by the fact that the rest of the team is on a much lower level.

one thing he needs to learn is that others are not on the same level so just pass it simply..and not to get so hacked off that nobody can see some of his stuff...some players are just not that good.

The_Exile
09-04-2015, 12:19 AM
Another couple of assists tonight, more of the same against the Merricks hopefully.

California-Hibs
09-04-2015, 12:22 AM
He's an outstanding player and we're lucky to have him!

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2015, 12:23 AM
I'm delighted he turned Utd down in Jan :agree:Hibs turned them down.

Johnny_Leith
09-04-2015, 03:17 AM
Surprised there was only 6 posts on this.

Allan is a great player and I think we're lucky to have him. He's not perfect and doesn't boss every game but produces pieces of quality per game we now take for granted which has probably brought him stick because he doesn't perform ala 4-0 rangers every week.

Hopefully we can keep him long term.

Torto7062
09-04-2015, 04:05 AM
Scott Allan has been mostly outstanding all season, unfortunately Hibs have been about 3 steps behind.

We have been crying out for Zemmama, yet when we get someone much more consistent and IMO a better player we cannot capitalise on him...make no mistake he is outstanding, only made stupid by the fact that the rest of the team is on a much lower level.

one thing he needs to learn is that others are not on the same level so just pass it simply..and not to get so hacked off that nobody can see some of his stuff...some players are just not that good.

been saying that for months.....he looks poor at times because the other players don't think/play at such a high level of intelligence

Pete
09-04-2015, 04:24 AM

Players like Allan, Fyvie and McGeogh were what we were crying out for under Fenlons regime...imagine if they had been at our disposal.

Allan does indeed stand head and shoulders above everyone else though. If we were to fail in our promotion bid I would have absolutely no objections should he ask to leave. He deserves a bigger stage and I'm not just talking about the top league in Scotland.

Makes his talent and status all the more remarkable when you take the extra hurdles he has to overcome into account.

PPZPOL
09-04-2015, 06:32 AM
Have you ever played 5 a sides with really bad players from work - its similar to that, and by that I mean there is a gulf in his ability and others in squad not that the rest of the squad is really bad.

Glad he played well last night, feel like we have started to take him for granted and that's criminal given who we've seen play in our midfield over the last few years.

PeeJay
09-04-2015, 06:44 AM
He has talent, but a lot of Allan's work is unfortunately ineffective - the team simply isn't on his wavelength most of the time ... I wonder how well he would do if we actually step up a grade and we had better players/team ... be interesting to see how he shapes up on Sunday ...

Ozyhibby
09-04-2015, 06:50 AM
The reason Allan is at Hibs is nothing to do with his ability and everything to do with his attitude and work rate.

Alex Trager
09-04-2015, 08:18 AM
I do not buy into this myth he is on a different wavelength.

He is the key to our team playing well. So I am delighted he played well last night in time for sunday. Well done Scotty.

However, in the last few weeks he most certainly has not been on a different wavelength.
I listen to folk in the ground at the games and for instance, when he plays a ball over the top into no mans land or too fast for one of the other players to get, everyone one regurgitates the wavelength quote.

I think he often plays the wrong pass, the one over the top. Sure when you have a Boyle in the team to get on the end it works. That's not to say Boyle is the only player who will make it work. It's just an example.
I think SA and JC work well together

But a lot of the time it is a nothing pass. It looks fabulous when it comes off, but I don't think that makes him on a different wavelength

I know I'll be in the minority here. I am not saying he is poor. He is not.
His decision making is poor at times.
He needs to learn what passes to make at what times and consider what players he is playing along side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2015, 08:26 AM

He is the key to our team playing well. So I am delighted he played well last night in time for sunday. Well done Scotty.

However, in the last few weeks he most certainly has not been on a different wavelength.
I listen to folk in the ground at the games and for instance, when he plays a ball over the top into no mans land or too fast for one of the other players to get, everyone one regurgitates the wavelength quote.

I think he often plays the wrong pass, the one over the top. Sure when you have a Boyle in the team to get on the end it works. That's not to say Boyle is the only player who will make it work. It's just an example.

But a lot of the time it is a nothing pass. It looks fabulous when it comes off, but I don't think that makes him on a different wavelength

He needs to learn what passes to make at what times and consider what players he is playing along side.

Totally agree. He's been poor for weeks, especially in the last few weeks when we've needed him to be "head and shoulders above everyone on the park" and "bossing games".

He gets away with murder, I don't want him to be bood or that just a fair spread of constructive criticism would be good. It'd be much better than the double standards.

Alex Trager
09-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Totally agree. He's been poor for weeks, especially in the last few weeks when we've needed him to be "head and shoulders above everyone on the park" and "bossing games".

He gets away with murder, I don't want him to be bood or that just a fair spread of constructive criticism would be good. It'd be much better than the double standards.

Agree.

We need him playing well. It's imperative. And it seems as though he is above dropping. Which is annoying. But maybe it would give him a kick up the behind

Smartie
09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
He was much more like himself last night.

He seemed to have that wee burst back, the change of pace that beats a man and gets the space to make a better pass.

I think the way the team was set up suited him better and that with McGeoch, Fyvie and Allan we face a situation England had with Gerrard and Lampard where you feel you have to shoehorn your best players in there sometimes to the detriment of the team.

Some tough decisions for Stubbs to make over the next few weeks. To be honest, I was getting to the point where I was wondering if Allan should be dropped. But he showed again last night that he needs to be the first name on the team sheet and the team built around him.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2015, 08:49 AM
He was much more like himself last night.

He seemed to have that wee burst back, the change of pace that beats a man and gets the space to make a better pass.

I think the way the team was set up suited him better and that with McGeoch, Fyvie and Allan we face a situation England had with Gerrard and Lampard where you feel you have to shoehorn your best players in there sometimes to the detriment of the team.

Some tough decisions for Stubbs to make over the next few weeks. To be honest, I was getting to the point where I was wondering if Allan should be dropped. But he showed again last night that he needs to be the first name on the team sheet and the team built around him.

He played much further forward last night, where he's much better. Won't be popular on here, but with Liam Craig playing last night, in a deeper role in midfield, it allowed Allan to get forward, without relying too much on his defensive duties, which Craig did for him

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 09:03 AM
I like this different wavelength stuff.

I used to say that about Benny Brazil. The guy was a genius but the rest of the team just didn't get most of what he was trying to do most of the time.

:wink:

Bishop Hibee
09-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Great to hear that Allan played well last night. I thought he was decent against QoS too. We need him at his best until the end of the season. He's the best player we have at ER in my opinion.

AlbertK86
09-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Scott Allan has been mostly outstanding all season, unfortunately Hibs have been about 3 steps behind. We have been crying out for Zemmama, yet when we get someone much more consistent and IMO a better player we cannot capitalise on him...make no mistake he is outstanding, only made stupid by the fact that the rest of the team is on a much lower level. one thing he needs to learn is that others are not on the same level so just pass it simply..and not to get so hacked off that nobody can see some of his stuff...some players are just not that good.

Spot on

patlowe
09-04-2015, 12:24 PM
I don't agree that he is on a different wavelength with other players but I do think he is an outstanding talent.

It's really all about what you want from a player like him. Although Allan certainly has some improvements to make, I am happy to accept his deficiencies because in just about every single game he creates clear goal scoring opportunities - those moments of magic are what I watch football to see. As someone mentioned above, I think some fans take this for granted but for me I will take this every day of the week over a team of journeymen that play the percentages. Allan makes the difference.

Turkish Green
09-04-2015, 12:32 PM
Good to hear, if we are to be promoted, he needs to be back to his best and working hard.
IF. I wonder what the plan will be if Hibs do not win promotion and prospective clubs come knocking on the door with Allan only having 12 months left on his contract. Will Leeann be strong.

J-C
09-04-2015, 01:13 PM
IF. I wonder what the plan will be if Hibs do not win promotion and prospective clubs come knocking on the door with Allan only having 12 months left on his contract. Will Leeann be strong.

Unfortunately I think we will take the money, give it to Stubbs and let him buid again, getting a player like Allan was better than can be expected, we got him for nowt so any money we get is a big bonus, this is all dependent on Allan himself and if he feels we can wait another year to go up and he wants to be part of that, then hopefully an extention is needed.

bingo70
09-04-2015, 01:17 PM
Imo Allan looks like he gets bored abd disinterested in some of the smaller games but in some of the higher profile matches he can try a bit too hard, looking for world cup balls when they're just not on. When it clicks for him though he's virtually unplayable, suppose the difficulty for Stubbs is finding how to make this happen more often.

snooky
09-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Have you ever played 5 a sides with really bad players from work - its similar to that, and by that I mean there is a gulf in his ability and others in squad not that the rest of the squad is really bad.

Glad he played well last night, feel like we have started to take him for granted and that's criminal given who we've seen play in our midfield over the last few years.

No, but I've played with good players from work.
OMG, I must be the bad player you're talking about :embarrass
:greengrin

Speedy
09-04-2015, 01:33 PM

Agreed.(Not specific to Scott Allan) If someone is such an intelligent footballer then it wouldn't take then long to work out what their teammates are capable of and they'd adjust their game accordingly.

hibees 7062
09-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Hibs turned them down.

Really ?

CockneyRebel
09-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Really ?

Yes - twice! Taken from official reports on Hibs main website.

hibees 7062
09-04-2015, 02:15 PM
Yes - twice! Taken from official reports on Hibs main website.

Must be true then

ancient hibee
09-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Agreed.(Not specific to Scott Allan) If someone is such an intelligent footballer then it wouldn't take then long to work out what their teammates are capable of and they'd adjust their game accordingly.

Absolutely wonderful.So Allan as a good player should drop his standards because others won't raise theirs.Don't think that's the way to progress.

jacomo
09-04-2015, 03:13 PM

:agree:

You may be in the minority but you are right. A talented player and great to have him in the squad, but he often chooses the wrong option and his positioning without the ball doesn't seem too hot.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2015, 03:24 PM
Absolutely wonderful.So Allan as a good player should drop his standards because others won't raise theirs.Don't think that's the way to progress.

I don't think anyone mentioned dropping standards?

If he's so intelligent he can adapt though and at the most effective pass rather than the pass Messi might play for Rooney?

ancient hibee
09-04-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned dropping standards?

If he's so intelligent he can adapt though and at the most effective pass rather than the pass Messi might play for Rooney?

I think telling someone to "adjust"their game because the other players are not up to it is asking someone to drop standards.Surely the correct thing is for the others to work hard to improve.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2015, 03:29 PM
I think telling someone to "adjust"their game because the other players are not up to it is asking someone to drop standards.Surely the correct thing is for the others to work hard to improve.

They might not ever be capable of it though. Should he just keep pinging passes into space in the hope that eventually someone reads it?

What I'm hearing/reading is Allan is only a baw hair away from being Gerrards replacement at Liverpool - I can't see Gerrard wasting all those passes, he'd adapt so he was effective.

Alex Trager
09-04-2015, 03:37 PM
They might not ever be capable of it though. Should he just keep pinging passes into space in the hope that eventually someone reads it?

What I'm hearing/reading is Allan is only a baw hair away from being Gerrards replacement at Liverpool - I can't see Gerrard wasting all those passes, he'd adapt so he was effective.

Totally.

Ability is unquestioned.

Intelligence/decision making is.

No one doubts he can provide the hard ball at times, it's the 'easy' ball we are on about.

Sometimes passes need to be long. Sometimes they need to be high sometimes....

Allan seems to struggle to realise this and only plays the overtop ball.

It may be a flaw of his teammates, or it may a flaw of his.

If he has no one to run onto the ball. He has to adapt and not play the lobbed through ball.

jacomo
09-04-2015, 03:52 PM

On Saturday Lewis kept getting into advanced positions (esp first half) but Allan never passed to him.

Speedy
09-04-2015, 03:56 PM

The coaches (and players like Scott Allan) should work with the team in training to improve everyone's 'football brain'.

In the meantime, there's little point asking the players to do things they aren't capable of.

B.H.F.C
09-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Totally.

Ability is unquestioned.

Intelligence/decision making is.

No one doubts he can provide the hard ball at times, it's the 'easy' ball we are on about.

Sometimes passes need to be long. Sometimes they need to be high sometimes....

Allan seems to struggle to realise this and only plays the overtop ball.

It may be a flaw of his teammates, or it may a flaw of his.

If he has no one to run onto the ball. He has to adapt and not play the lobbed through ball.

For years we've wanted someone in midfield that is different. Someone that sets up chances, takes people on etc. We get that player and everybody wants him to do the easy thing.

If Scott Allan had top notch decision making he'd be nowhere near Hibs. He gives the ball away, probably more than he should, but we'd be worse off without him. Last night he created 3 or 4 clear cut chances and was involved in most other things we did.

If there is a criticism of him then, for me, it's that he should be scoring more goals.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 04:35 PM

On Saturday Lewis kept getting into advanced positions (esp first half) but Allan never passed to him.

To be fair to Allan he is the most likely to spot the "hard to spot" run and make a pass.

Our formation will quite often lead to fullbacks/ wing backs getting into good, advanced positions out wide and it takes a good player to spot them then make the pass. There were quite a few occasions when we didn't manage to pick them out last night (Allan included) but he is more likely than most to do so.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 04:39 PM
For years we've wanted someone in midfield that is different. Someone that sets up chances, takes people on etc. We get that player and everybody wants him to do the easy thing.

If Scott Allan had top notch decision making he'd be nowhere near Hibs. He gives the ball away, probably more than he should, but we'd be worse off without him. Last night he created 3 or 4 clear cut chances and was involved in most other things we did.

If there is a criticism of him then, for me, it's that he should be scoring more goals.

I think that with the right guidance then he has that level of decision making in him. If he can add that to his game then you are right, he will be absolutely nowhere near Hibs.

He can do the difficult stuff. If he can add the easy stuff to his game (when it is the right thing to do) then I thing he can do very well.

I think that we've tended to play him in quite a deep position and that will have contributed as much as anything to him not scoring many goals. Playing where he did last night I could see him getting loads.

AlbertK86
09-04-2015, 05:09 PM
For years we've wanted someone in midfield that is different. Someone that sets up chances, takes people on etc. We get that player and everybody wants him to do the easy thing. If Scott Allan had top notch decision making he'd be nowhere near Hibs. He gives the ball away, probably more than he should, but we'd be worse off without him. Last night he created 3 or 4 clear cut chances and was involved in most other things we did. If there is a criticism of him then, for me, it's that he should be scoring more goals.

You're spot on too

I cannas believe the amount of folk moaning about the most talented creative player we have had in years.

For years fans in the East and on here have been crying out for a playmaker.

Well now we've got one and a really good one at that.

Stubbs knows he gives the ball away occasionally but that is cause he tries something different.

Stubbs is willing to allow the odd mistake because he creates so much.

He has created the majority of our goals this season and even when he is not dominating a game he still creates plenty

People need to back him to the hilt and enjoy his play whilst we can...... Alternatively lets go back to the bad old no creativity days that everybody moaned about

B.H.F.C
09-04-2015, 05:37 PM
You're spot on too

I cannas believe the amount of folk moaning about the most talented creative player we have had in years.

Stubbs knows he gives the ball away occasionally but that is cause he tries something different.

He has created the majority of our goals this season and even when he is not dominating a game he still creates plenty

People need to back him to the hilt and enjoy his play whilst we can...... Alternatively lets go back to the bad old no creativity days that everybody moaned about

He might only have 11 or 12 assists but he's played a big part in a lot more goals than that. How many times has he opened a team up with that pass inside a full back for the someone like Gray to run on to and square it?

By no means am I saying he is perfect. But he'd be the first name on my team sheet.

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2015, 05:39 PM
So whenever Allan gives the ball away it is because the other players aren't on his level? Yeah, okay.

AlbertK86
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
He might only have 11 or 12 assists but he's played a big part in a lot more goals than that. How many times has he opened a team up with that pass inside a full back for the someone like Gray to run on to and square it? By no means am I saying he is perfect. But he'd be the first name on my team sheet.

Totally agree

Only gets assist for last pass before goal. He is always at the heart of the move whether it is 2,3 or sometimes 4 passed back

First in my team every week

Seems Stubbsy agrees with us !

greenlex
09-04-2015, 06:19 PM
He played much further forward last night, where he's much better. Won't be popular on here, but with Liam Craig playing last night, in a deeper role in midfield, it allowed Allan to get forward, without relying too much on his defensive duties, which Craig did for him

Ironically I thought he was found wanting at their goal. He did not on that occasion track a runner who strolled past him. Doesn't absolve the keeper from doing better tho. Bottom line is when he plays we play. When he shifts it quick we are always liable to create.

weonlywon6-2
09-04-2015, 06:25 PM

Did Hibs not do that earlier in the season with Craig st the back??

Bearders
09-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Totally agree

Only gets assist for last pass before goal. He is always at the heart of the move whether it is 2,3 or sometimes 4 passed back

First in my team every week

Seems Stubbsy agrees with us !

Albert, I agree that he'd be on my team sheet every week
It's for Stubbsy and the Management to try to build a team around his talent. Not without his faults and he is still (IMO) learning from previous shortcomings.....christ we are playing Championship football FFS, but he is a joy to watch when on song. Sevco would be delighted to take him..............if we fail to make it up to the echelons of Scottish Premier League.

FTH ....always.

PPZPOL
09-04-2015, 09:08 PM
No, but I've played with good players from work.
OMG, I must be the bad player you're talking about :embarrass
:greengrin

:top marks:thumbsup:

Capt Mainwaring
09-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Smashing player - lucky to have him. Hope he signs for longer

keep the faith
10-04-2015, 07:07 AM
You're spot on too

This. 100%

bigwheel
10-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Smashing player - lucky to have him. Hope he signs for longer

completely agree....can't believe the nonsense on this thread - Think of the players we have had in recent years - Allan is a gem...Joe Keenan anyone ??

nellio
10-04-2015, 10:15 AM
been saying that for months.....he looks poor at times because the other players don't think/play at such a high level of intelligence

Have to agree. Sometimes plays incredible balls through but no one has the foresight to go after them Reminds me a bit of when Giggs played for Wales in the late 90's early 2000's (when he bothered to show up) when he would make runs or play balls and some of the other players wen't on the same wavelengh. Could see Giggs visibilly frustrated by it as obviously used to playing with similar quality palyers as himself at Man Utd.

jacomo
10-04-2015, 11:14 AM
completely agree....can't believe the nonsense on this thread - Think of the players we have had in recent years - Allan is a gem...Joe Keenan anyone ??

I'd just like to see a bit more appreciation for all the good players in our squad, not just the nominated fans favourite.

Allan can literally do no wrong for some, even when he's had a bad game. No doubt he is 'first name on the team sheet' at the moment but every player should feel the need to deliver every game or their place is vulnerable.

Meanwhile Oxley gets mocked and Malinga gets pelters, when both are good players. It's a little bit ridiculous.

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2015, 12:49 PM
I'd just like to see a bit more appreciation for all the good players in our squad, not just the nominated fans favourite.

Allan can literally do no wrong for some, even when he's had a bad game. No doubt he is 'first name on the team sheet' at the moment but every player should feel the need to deliver every game or their place is vulnerable.

Meanwhile Oxley gets mocked and Malinga gets pelters, when both are good players. It's a little bit ridiculous.

Completely agree. A lot of folk struggle to understand the point that's being made.

GreenPJ
10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Scott Allan is a great player with vision that very few players in Scotland currently possess, he is not the finished article though by any means - he needs to improve his decision making and keep more focussed at times but if he does that he won't be playing in Scotland. He is a starter for me but I would actually try and keep McGeogh before we tried to extend Allan's deal (although of course would be good to do both).

hibees 7062
10-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Scott Allan is a great player with vision that very few players in Scotland currently possess, he is not the finished article though by any means - he needs to improve his decision making and keep more focussed at times but if he does that he won't be playing in Scotland. He is a starter for me but I would actually try and keep McGeogh before we tried to extend Allan's deal (although of course would be good to do both).

:agree: Totally

ancient hibee
10-04-2015, 05:10 PM

Can only describe that as unbelievable.

I was never one of the fans on here wittering about him being international class but he is the best player we have and streets ahead of McGeough in the effect he has had on performances and results this season.

keep the faith
10-04-2015, 05:44 PM

I was never one of the fans on here wittering about him being international class but he is the best player we have and streets ahead of McGeough in the effect he has had on performances and results this season.

Agree with this. Allan is a way more important player than mcgeough.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2015, 07:18 PM

I was never one of the fans on here wittering about him being international class but he is the best player we have and streets ahead of McGeough in the effect he has had on performances and results this season.Just no. Absolutely not.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Allan, for me at least, is getting to be the kind of player that goes into the category of " he plays well, we play well".

Danderhall Hibs
11-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Allan, for me at least, is getting to be the kind of player that goes into the category of " he plays well, we play well".

I agree with that. Could sum up why we've been so inconsistent?

matty_f
11-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I think Allan is a cracking player who is not without his flaws. His flaws are worth living with for the positive stuff he brings to the team.
He's young and can get better, hopefully he does that at Hibs.