PDA

View Full Version : Mark Oxley

Purehibee_MYB
08-04-2015, 09:55 PM
What's with the ironic cheering when he catches the ball?

Think it's completely unnecessary and will only succeed in denting his confidence and affecting the team as a whole.

Thought he played well tonight and pulled off a couple of very good saves when it was 0-0 and 1-0.

Don't think getting on players backs is a wise thing to do with so many key games coming up.

cloudy
08-04-2015, 10:03 PM

Think it's completely unnecessary and will only succeed in denting his confidence and affecting the team as a whole.

Thought he played well tonight and pulled off a couple of very good saves when it was 0-0 and 1-0.

Don't think getting on players backs is a wise thing to do with so many key games coming up.

Because it's the hibs way

matty_f
08-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Does my tits in when fans do that to their own players.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I wasn't there tonight, was he at fault for the goal?

CallumLaidlaw
08-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Apparently should have held the shot and the dumbarton player was first to the rebound. But he made a brilliant double save apparently, on top of a couple of other very good saves.

green day
08-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Does my tits in when there is another thread slating our fans - who will be here long after oxley is away.

Mikey09
08-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Maybe someone who was there and involved in it could explain to us why they do it?? But I doubt anyone would own up to such immature, childish behaviour.... :loser:

matty_f
08-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Does my tits in when there is another thread slating our fans - who will be here long after oxley is away.

So because we're at the club longer than a player it's fair game to jeer them? Good one.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2015, 10:13 PM
Does my tits in when fans do that to their own players.

Should be taken out and shot. End of problemo.

I blame the big brother / reality TV for distorting what's acceptable - and parents. And the horsey mouthed Katie whatshername from the Sun.

matty_f
08-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Should be taken out and shot. End of problemo.

I don't want anyone shooting my tits.

green day
08-04-2015, 10:18 PM
So because we're at the club longer than a player it's fair game to jeer them? Good one.

Not what I said, but hey just make it up as you go along.

So, was he jeered or is this just hearsay?

B.H.F.C
08-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm just in from the game and I didn't even really notice the sarcastic cheering. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

The guy very rarely holds a shot. Free kick in the first 10 minutes that he decided to punch was a weird one.

matty_f
08-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Not what I said, but hey just make it up as you go along.

So, was he jeered or is this just hearsay?

Going by the thread and comments elsewhere it looks like he was. I never said he had been though.

3pm
08-04-2015, 10:24 PM
I wasn't there tonight, was he at fault for the goal?

He looked as though he could have held the shot. That being said, my initial thought was that one or two others could have done better too.

SteveHFC
08-04-2015, 10:27 PM
Oxley gives me the fear everytime he goes near a ball.

HibbyAndy
08-04-2015, 10:33 PM
I have absolutely no confidence in Oxley at all when he comes off his line.

If he does it on Sunday my heart will be in my stomach, I just don't think his shot stopping outweighs the negatives.

Sorry guys i just don't rate the guy. A bang average goalkeeepr that i'd try to offload in the summer for a half decent one.

WestEndHibee
08-04-2015, 10:34 PM

100% agree with this. Oxley's first action was to punch a fairly fast paced ball away from danger, this resulted in a number of shouts of discontent.

The second action was to come out and confidently claim the ball, this resulted in ironic jeers well in earshot of Oxley. I don't understand what fans hope to achieve by ironically cheering our own player when he does something well. If he hears that then that's one more thing on his mind when the next ball comes into the box.

BoomtownHibees
08-04-2015, 10:34 PM
I don't think he is a great goalie at all

silverhibee
08-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Bedwetters :cb

tamig
08-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Oxley gives me the fear everytime he goes near a ball.

Do you not just have the fear every time you watch Hibs? You give that impression.

WestEndHibee
08-04-2015, 10:41 PM
I don't think he is a great goalie at all

I don't think that this is the point of the thread. The point is that a section of the support are jeering when a first team player actually does something right.

Kaff
08-04-2015, 10:42 PM
The punch out from the free kick was a bit odd but I only heard applause for his handling the two crosses he dealt with very well.
The goal was part unfortunate and a little bit of slow reactions from him, he made a save he wasn't able to hold and instead of pushing the ball into the centre where there were strikers waiting he moved it towards his feet area and wasn't able to correct himself enough to get to the ball before Megginson. I think he did the right thing but not quite athletic enough to finish the job, he did make 2 good saves shortly before this too

SteveHFC
08-04-2015, 10:44 PM
Do you not just have the fear every time you watch Hibs? You give that impression.

:rolleyes:

My_Wife_Camille
08-04-2015, 10:45 PM
I mentioned on the thread a couple of weeks back that I didn't rate him as a keeper (especially at this level) and he's done nothing to change my mind.

Having said that, you don't give your own players hassle while their out there on the pitch.

Scottie
08-04-2015, 10:47 PM

If he does it on Sunday my heart will be in my stomach, I just don't think his shot stopping outweighs the negatives.

Sorry guys i just don't rate the guy. A bang average goalkeeepr that i'd try to offload in the summer for a half decent one.
Totally agree Andy but my concern is who would come to ER on the wages we pay that is half decent in the summer ?

Hiber-nation
08-04-2015, 10:50 PM
I'm just in from the game and I didn't even really notice the sarcastic cheering. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

The guy very rarely holds a shot. Free kick in the first 10 minutes that he decided to punch was a weird one.

That's because there wasn't any. Sounded to me like a normal round of applause for catching the ball.

Baldy Foghorn
08-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Some cracking saves tonight, but should have done much better with the goal. His punch in first half was bizarre to say the least, wasn't that powerful a hit.....

Hermit Crab
08-04-2015, 11:01 PM
One or two decent saves tonight but when you see the goal on the TV you'll see it was poor goalkeeping.

If people really want a moan their goal all came from a Scott Allan mistake, he was ball watching and not tracking the runner who got played in and had the initial shot at goal.

Ozyhibby
08-04-2015, 11:28 PM
Totally agree Andy but my concern is who would come to ER on the wages we pay that is half decent in the summer ?

We pay more than most of our competitors whichever League we end up in, so we should expect a goalie at least as good.

Hibeesmad
08-04-2015, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't say he's a bad goalkeeper but I wouldn't be disappointed if we decided to bring in somebody else

Id take Williams back any day

Shrekko
08-04-2015, 11:47 PM
That's because there wasn't any. Sounded to me like a normal round of applause for catching the ball.
No, there was clearly sarcastic cheering and it wasn't just once either! A guy also shouted 'punch it!' as he was dealing with a pass back!

I think he's a poor keeper but no idea what some fans gain by publically mocking their own player.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2015, 06:13 AM
I cant believe the away fans are behaving in this way, i thought it was just those who went to easter road who were the bad ones? :devil:

bingo70
09-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Not his biggest fan but the point about catching crosses is a stupid one. There's so much movement in the balls nowadays it's safer to try and punch it, especially if it's in a crowded box.

If there's any doubt at all in his mind then he should be punching it, I believe that's what keepers are trained to do now, it's just not worth the risk of trying to catch it when if it goes wrong someone gets a tap in.

lucky
09-04-2015, 06:27 AM
After every game there a thread about him due to the fact he costs us goals. Most on here want Cerny in goals and we've not saw him play in over a year. Oxley is a below average keeper who talks and kicks well but his stop shotting and general handling are poor

Thecat23
09-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Whether folk rate him or not is irrelevant really. Doing this will only make it worse as it will be on his mind every time he comes for a cross. No need for it imo.

blackpoolhibs
09-04-2015, 06:44 AM
After every game there a thread about him due to the fact he costs us goals. Most on here want Cerny in goals and we've not saw him play in over a year. Oxley is a below average keeper who talks and kicks well but his stop shotting and general handling are poor

I have not seen him play for a few years, and i'm surprised Stubbs would bring in a below average player. I'm sure i read him say he'd rather wait and bring the right players in than just bring in squad fillers?

Purehibee_MYB
09-04-2015, 06:59 AM

Don't particularly rate him highly myself and I'm not by any means saying you're condoning it but just because some people don't rate him doesn't mean we should be putting him under pressure and jeering him.

Hiber-nation
09-04-2015, 08:11 AM
No, there was clearly sarcastic cheering and it wasn't just once either! A guy also shouted 'punch it!' as he was dealing with a pass back!

I think he's a poor keeper but no idea what some fans gain by publically mocking their own player.

OK cheers, never heard that. Out of order.

Mark79
09-04-2015, 08:22 AM
I did mutter under my breath last night "catch the f***** thing". Based on how quiet it was at the match though maybe i was overheard.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2015, 08:30 AM
OK cheers, never heard that. Out of order.

That's one of our wannabee comedians. The best treatment for them would be for everyone to shake their head and say FFS. Unfortunately some folk laught at them and encourage them to shout something else ridiculous.

hfc-1875
09-04-2015, 08:42 AM
Not his biggest fan, think he's a bombscare actually but doing that to a player in our own team is out of order.

southern hibby
09-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Made 2 very good saves last night. However punched the ball away from ( not exactly a cross) more of a shot. He dropped the ball which allowed the goal. I'm beginning to think he's not the best at holding onto the ball hence why he punches it.,

GGTTH

HibbyAndy
09-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Don't particularly rate him highly myself and I'm not by any means saying you're condoning it but just because some people don't rate him doesn't mean we should be putting him under pressure and jeering him.

100% Agreed i'd never boo a player

Godsahibby
09-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Far from being a bombscare, makes some fantastic saves and kept us in many a game but his handling is shocking. If that wasn't an issue he certainly would be no where near us.

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 10:38 AM
He does have a habit of dropping the ball after saving shots. I don't claim to know the numbers but it has certainly led to more than one opposition goal this season.

Also, barring a few games (especially Dec' home to Rangers, in which he was excellent), he does seem averse to coming out for crosses. I don't really see him as someone that commands the box very well.

I think he's a decent Keeper but I'd be dissapointed if Stubbs couldn't find somebody better for the long term. TBF, that sentiment applies to a number of people in our squad, not just the Keeper.

Smartie
09-04-2015, 10:49 AM
His handling for their goal was atrocious, it was his fault 100% and it could have cost us dear. It was a very similar mistake to the one at Raith and that one did cost us.

It was a shame because he was having an excellent game imo. He'd just made 3 excellent saves and if he'd held that shot it would have been at least 4 excellent pieces of goalkeeping in the first few minutes of the second half. It all comes down to fine margins though and it could have cost us.

And I'm perfectly happy with him electing to punch some shots/crosses and get frustrated at the groans when he does. He gets good distance on them and if he doesn't have 100% confidence in his handling under pressure (which his occasional fumbles suggest to me) then he's as well getting the ball well clear with a solid punch. None of these punches have led to goals (iirc) whereas some of his fumbles have. He also made a few smart catches in the first half.

His throwing was very good and he had one kick to Cummings in the first half that was almost an exquisite pass but their keeper did well to come off his line and anticipate otherwise he was 1 on 1.

Leithenhibby
09-04-2015, 11:01 AM
I was there last night and once the sun had disappeared the ball looked to be a tad greasy, but had we taken our chances we wouldn't have another ridiculous thread imo. That's all....

Pretty Boy
09-04-2015, 12:38 PM
His handling for their goal was atrocious, it was his fault 100% and it could have cost us dear. It was a very similar mistake to the one at Raith and that one did cost us.

It was a shame because he was having an excellent game imo. He'd just made 3 excellent saves and if he'd held that shot it would have been at least 4 excellent pieces of goalkeeping in the first few minutes of the second half. It all comes down to fine margins though and it could have cost us.

And I'm perfectly happy with him electing to punch some shots/crosses and get frustrated at the groans when he does. He gets good distance on them and if he doesn't have 100% confidence in his handling under pressure (which his occasional fumbles suggest to me) then he's as well getting the ball well clear with a solid punch. None of these punches have led to goals (iirc) whereas some of his fumbles have. He also made a few smart catches in the first half.

His throwing was very good and he had one kick to Cummings in the first half that was almost an exquisite pass but their keeper did well to come off his line and anticipate otherwise he was 1 on 1.

The one at Raith was a fantastic save and certainly not comparable to last night Which was poor.

The_Sauz
09-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Not his biggest fan but the point about catching crosses is a stupid one. There's so much movement in the balls nowadays it's safer to try and punch it, especially if it's in a crowded box.

If there's any doubt at all in his mind then he should be punching it, I believe that's what keepers are trained to do now, it's just not worth the risk of trying to catch it when if it goes wrong someone gets a tap in.

Funny that you should say that!
I remember reading an article about a year ago by Iker Casillas and he said the same thing! He also mentioned that when company's do any R&D on new ball's (UEFA & FIFA have different rules on ball design)...GK's are never involved.

silverhibee
09-04-2015, 03:45 PM
I cant believe the away fans are behaving in this way, i thought it was just those who went to easter road who were the bad ones? :devil:

Seems like it's spreading. :wink:

One Day
09-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I did mutter under my breath last night "catch the f***** thing". Based on how quiet it was at the match though maybe i was overheard.

Glad you owned up. best quote so far

1875Sean
10-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Seen this guys is out of retirement! Get him signed up!

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9795496/dream-come-true-says-kitman-turned-keeper-started-by-henrik-larsson

scoopyboy
10-04-2015, 12:33 PM
I was there on Wednesday and it wasn't booing, more of everybody groaning in despair at the same time.

I have never boo'd him and never will, just like with any other Hibs player.

However, and I hope I'm wrong with this one, I cannot help but think he is going to make a blunder that is going to cost us dear in either the play-offs or the cup or both.

He never holds a shot in a pre match warm up or half time session never mind a game.

I will be disappointed if he is in goals next season.

Until then he will get my support in every game and as I stated earlier I would love to be proved wrong.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Cerny has been here a couple of months now and not been given a look in so it's fair to assume he is seen only as back up given the indifferent performances put in by Oxley.
So there is nothing for it but to get behind him till the end of the season.
I'll be disappointed if we don't get better for next season.

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 05:07 PM
I was there on Wednesday and it wasn't booing, more of everybody groaning in despair at the same time.

I have never boo'd him and never will, just like with any other Hibs player.

However, and I hope I'm wrong with this one, I cannot help but think he is going to make a blunder that is going to cost us dear in either the play-offs or the cup or both.

He never holds a shot in a pre match warm up or half time session never mind a game.

I will be disappointed if he is in goals next season.

Until then he will get my support in every game and as I stated earlier I would love to be proved wrong.

:agree: That's my concern. He's defintely prone to a howler! Might be this Sunday or next Saturday but there's always a chance of him dropping one and it costing us big time.