PDA

View Full Version : Relegation playoff idea - a relegation league

Diclonius
08-04-2015, 02:55 PM
The SFA/Premiership would never agree to this as it makes the playoffs fairer, but why not save time on two legged playoffs and long journeys by putting 10th/11th in the Premiership and 2nd/3rd in the Championship in a "league" to determine promotion/relegation? All four teams would play each other once at a neutral venue (World Cup style) and the two teams leading this table will play in the top league next season, whilst the bottom two would be in the Championship. Taking the teams occupying these positions right now, let's imagine what games we'd get out of it:

Round 1:
Motherwell v Rangers (Hampden)
Ross County v Hibernian (Tannadice)

Round 2:
Motherwell v Hibernian (Tynecastle)
Rangers v Ross County (Pittodrie)

Round 3:
Rangers v Hibernian (Parkhead)
Ross County v Motherwell (Caledonian Stadium)

Thoughts on this idea? It certainly looks more interesting and varied, and wouldn't punish teams by forcing them to play up to six games.

Just Alf
08-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Too sensible!

CB_NO3
08-04-2015, 03:11 PM
It would cost about 180k to rent these stadiums, meaning you would be taking the money from the clubs in the playoffs and giving it to the teams who own the stadiums.

California-Hibs
08-04-2015, 03:18 PM
I personally don't mimd this current play-off system and was really please to hear about it when it was announced. A lot of games yeah, well only if you finish 3rd/4th in the Championship, but it makes the end of the season way more exciting.

Just Alf
08-04-2015, 03:19 PM
It would cost about 180k to rent these stadiums, meaning you would be taking the money from the clubs in the playoffs and giving it to the teams who own the stadiums.

True enough, hadn't thought about that, fewer games as well so probably less ticket income I guess..... Balanced I suppose with the "better" chance of progress :D

jacomo
08-04-2015, 03:33 PM

Exactly. Hosting these ties at neutral venues is a non starter.

HH81
08-04-2015, 03:35 PM
Play them all at hampden. Do a couple of double headers on same day. Kick offs could be 12 and 4.

Diclonius
08-04-2015, 03:53 PM

In that case a home and away league of 6 games each could probably work, though it would drag the season on a bit.

ScottB
08-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Personally I've always found it strange that our leagues try to protect the upper division clubs, I'd rather do it English style; relegate two from above, then have a 4 way playoff from below, 2nd v 5th, 3rd v 4th, resultant winners playing for the promotion spot.

Smartie
08-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Exactly. Hosting these ties at neutral venues is a non starter.

Do the SPFL not take a hefty slice of the gate receipts from these games anyway?

It was a The Rangers-supporting mate who told me that, may have been up to 50%.

scuttle
08-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Personally I've always found it strange that our leagues try to protect the upper division clubs, I'd rather do it English style; relegate two from above, then have a 4 way playoff from below, 2nd v 5th, 3rd v 4th, resultant winners playing for the promotion spot.

Agree with this and make the final a one off at Hampdump

hibee92
08-04-2015, 04:18 PM

This. Although everyone in the top half of a league having a chance of getting promoted would be strange. If they're dead set on an 11th place side being in the playoffs why not have 11th play 4th and 2nd play third? Or just a straight semi final draw?

Keith_M
08-04-2015, 04:25 PM

The SPFL already get 50% of the gate money, before expenses, from every Play Off game.

If the Clubs involved then had to pay to rent another Stadium, it could cost them a lot of money to be in the Play Offs.

offshorehibby
08-04-2015, 04:25 PM
Do the SPFL not take a hefty slice of the gate receipts from these games anyway?

It was a The Rangers-supporting mate who told me that, may have been up to 50%.

The money from any of the play off games don't go to the home clubs as does in a normal league game. All moneys are pooled and a small percentage goes to the clubs in the play-offs. Remember, Hibs received £500k compensation fro dropping down to the championship and will receive either £250k ot £200k if they stay down this year. Also if 11th placed Premiership team gets relegated this year the'll get the same deal, i would imagine. This needs to be financed some how.

LaMotta
08-04-2015, 05:00 PM
The SFA/Premiership would never agree to this as it makes the playoffs fairer, but why not save time on two legged playoffs and long journeys by putting 10th/11th in the Premiership and 2nd/3rd in the Championship in a "league" to determine promotion/relegation? All four teams would play each other once at a neutral venue (World Cup style) and the two teams leading this table will play in the top league next season, whilst the bottom two would be in the Championship. Taking the teams occupying these positions right now, let's imagine what games we'd get out of it:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Thoughts on this idea? It certainly looks more interesting and varied, and wouldn't punish teams by forcing them to play up to six games.

If, for example, Rangers and Hibs both won their first two games, it would mean that round 3 of games would be totally meaningless.

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I would have a 14 team top league and Championship, with a 6 / 8 split in both leagues.

The bottom two get relegated automatically from the top league and the top 2 in the Championship get automatic promotion.

11th & 12th in the top league play each other home and away as do 3rd & 4th in the Championship. The two winners play each other at a neutral venue suitable for the size of the two clubs in a one off promotion / relegation final.

If I had my way the bottom 8 in the top league would start the split with the bottom club on 0 points, second bottom on 2 points up to 8th bottom on 7 points, irrespective of what points they had when the split came .... brutal, unfair ... but exciting :greengrin

Eyrie
08-04-2015, 09:24 PM
This. Although everyone in the top half of a league having a chance of getting promoted would be strange. If they're dead set on an 11th place side being in the playoffs why not have 11th play 4th and 2nd play third? Or just a straight semi final draw?

Too sensible and doesn't offer the 11th placed team enough protection. Not that they deserve it, or indeed get it in the other two playoffs.

I would have a 14 team top league and Championship, with a 6 / 8 split in both leagues.

The bottom two get relegated automatically from the top league and the top 2 in the Championship get automatic promotion.

11th & 12th in the top league play each other home and away as do 3rd & 4th in the Championship. The two winners play each other at a neutral venue suitable for the size of the two clubs in a one off promotion / relegation final.

If I had my way the bottom 8 in the top league would start the split with the bottom club on 0 points, second bottom on 2 points up to 8th bottom on 7 points, irrespective of what points they had when the split came .... brutal, unfair ... but exciting :greengrin
Not dissimilar to the recently proposed plan of two leagues of twelve splitting into three leagues of eight, which I liked but many on here didn't and was rejected by the clubs.

ballengeich
08-04-2015, 09:56 PM
The SFA/Premiership would never agree to this as it makes the playoffs fairer, but why not save time on two legged playoffs and long journeys by putting 10th/11th in the Premiership and 2nd/3rd in the Championship in a "league" to determine promotion/relegation?

The reason for the format of the playoffs for promotion to the Premier is that the Premier clubs play 38 games while those in other divisions play 36 and finish the season a couple of weeks earlier. For the type of playoff you're advocating, you'd either have to get the Premier teams to play an extra couple of midweek games during the season in a schedule which is already crammed because of internationals, cup games (including replays) and European fixtures, or you'd have the Champioship teams which have qualified hanging around for a couple of weeks at the end of the league before the playoffs started.

I'm not saying what you're suggesting is bad in principle, but there are practical difficulties.

MyJo
08-04-2015, 09:56 PM

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Good idea but can't see it working in the current league set up. its been enough of a fight trying to get the playoffs into the premiership again and the current system is weighted towards the premiership team staying in the league (except when terry f***ing butcher is in charge!!!) i can't see many willing to add another premiership team into the mix as it stands.

If they changed it to a 16 team premiership and a 16 team championship it would make more sense to have something like this in place.

O'Rourke3
08-04-2015, 10:07 PM
proposed plan of two leagues of twelve splitting into three leagues of eight, which I liked but many on here didn't and was rejected by the clubs.

This. Looked a great option and kept interest up in all 3 leagues.

PeterboroHibee
09-04-2015, 05:30 AM
I think the two leagues are two small for there to be any more than two relegations. If as other have said the league was expanded, I think the number could potentially increase.

As for the current play off model, I think its a good system but perhaps with too many games. I understand the 4th place is there to try and leave something to play for over the whole season, but it would be better if it was just 2nd vs 3rd and the winners plays the Premiership team.

Keith_M
09-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Not dissimilar to the recently proposed plan of two leagues of twelve splitting into three leagues of eight, which I liked but many on here didn't and was rejected by the clubs.

I hated that idea.

Eyrie
09-04-2015, 06:58 PM
This. Looked a great option and kept interest up in all 3 leagues.
:thumbsup:

I hated that idea.

There's always got to be one. Just for you :na na:

Not dissimilar to the recently proposed plan of two leagues of twelve splitting into three leagues of eight, which I liked but many on here hated and was rejected by the clubs.