PDA

View Full Version : US Masters

Hank Schrader
07-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Who is everyone putting their cash on this year?

I've gone with;

Bubba Watson £5 to win 11/1
Jimmy Walker £5 to win 22/1

Smaller e/w bets on Patrick Reed at 35/1 and Paul Casey at 66/1.

Hibee87
07-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Not had a look at the odds yet but I always tend to do each way bets with one major outsider

This year I will prob go

Speith
Reed

and outsider I was thinking someone like big earnie

IanM
07-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Win
Jason Day
Jimmy Walker

Each way (top7)
Bill Haas
Billy Horschel

Top 20
Geoff Ogilvy

And I should bet JB Holmes after his miraculous turnaround on Sunday when I thought my bet was beat!

Golden Bear
07-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Jordan Speith, Jason Day, Charl Schwartzel. Further bets to be made after 36 holes.

Golden Bear
08-04-2015, 03:16 PM
As usual, there looks to be some cracking bets but they can't all win.

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/the-masters

derekHFC
08-04-2015, 03:50 PM
As usual, there looks to be some cracking bets but they can't all win.

http://www.oddschecker.com/golf/the-masters

You're probably better laying guys off who you don't think will win.

easty
08-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Jack Nicklaus got a hole in one at the par 3 challenge. 75 year old. Legend.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/25140803/masters-jack-nicklaus-makes-hole-in-one-at-par-3-contest

Pretty Boy
08-04-2015, 08:57 PM
Mickelson
Watson

Lefties have done well at Augusta in recent years.

Also having e/ws on:

Villegas
Blixt
Reed

Squealing pig
09-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Each way on speith, day, Stenson and Donaldson

HibbyAndy
10-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Bit pish there is nae live Golf till 7pm.

H18sry
10-04-2015, 02:46 PM

http://www1.skysports.com/masters/news/24512/9796228/masters-live-feed-of-amen-corner-available-from-345pm :wink:

Golden Bear
10-04-2015, 03:26 PM

Sometimes it's the case that the broadcasters are only allowed to show so a limited number of hours of live golf and this is determined by the Masters Championship committee in Georgia. It seems daft but there we have it.

ACLeith
10-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Is Adam Scott in his dark glasses the reincarnation of Buddy Holly? That'll be the day!!

Golden Bear
10-04-2015, 08:56 PM
I love my golf, but it's got be said, jeez the coverage is boring tonight!

ACLeith
10-04-2015, 09:00 PM
I love my golf, but it's got be said, jeez the coverage is boring tonight!
Blame Jordan Spieth!

Golden Bear
10-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Blame Jordan Spieth!

No chance - I've a tenner on him at 10/1 !

ACLeith
10-04-2015, 09:13 PM
No chance - I've a tenner on him at 10/1 !
You'll be angry if he blows it from here! If he does see it out, a fight over the next few years between him and Rory - in spite of this week - could be memorable.

IWasThere2016
10-04-2015, 09:16 PM
e/w on Spieth, Dustin and Koepka

Golden Bear
10-04-2015, 09:28 PM
You'll be angry if he blows it from here! If he does see it out, a fight over the next few years between him and Rory - in spite of this week - could be memorable.

Jordan has had a meteoric rise to fame in recent months. He's currently number 4 in the world rankings and a win and two second places in the last 3 weeks confirms that he's in peak form. Anything can still happen but I can't see the pressure getting to him. And yes you're right, the duel between him and Rory ( and a few other young guns) should make for interesting viewing and hopefully rekindle interest in the game of golf.

ACLeith
10-04-2015, 09:31 PM
Jordan has had a meteoric rise to fame in recent months. He's currently number 4 in the world rankings and a win and two second places in the last 3 weeks confirms that he's in peak form. Anything can still happen but I can't see the pressure getting to him. And yes you're right, the duel between him and Rory ( and a few other young guns) should make for interesting viewing and hopefully rekindle interest in the game of golf.
And he showed at the Ryder Cup that he seems to have a "feel" for the integrity of the game, which for an old codger like me is important.

heretoday
11-04-2015, 07:14 PM
The Bbc coverage is terrible. The are just focussing on Rory and Bubba plus flashbacks and slowmo music as per usual. There are other guys in convention!

Hibrandenburg
11-04-2015, 07:53 PM
The Bbc coverage is terrible. The are just focussing on Rory and Bubba plus flashbacks and slowmo music as per usual. There are other guys in convention!

Sky Germany is no too bad. Love the HE coverage, you can see the dimples on the ball.

Spieth beginning to crack under pressure???

heretoday
11-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Actually I was watching the wrong channel! BBC2 is better now although they are recording a lot of the action. I realised this when Mickelson played his second shot about two minutes after his drive. Unless he's unusually quick for a big man!

BroxburnHibee
11-04-2015, 08:22 PM
To be fair it's just the American feed. The beeb has to fill in all the ad breaks remember.

NYHibby
11-04-2015, 10:23 PM
To be fair it's just the American feed. The beeb has to fill in all the ad breaks remember.

The Masters is famous for the limited ad breaks. Its one of the traditions. There are a total of 4 one-minute breaks per hour. During the Martha Burk years there weren't any commercials.

It wasn't that long ago that there was only three hours of coverage per day. Coverage didn't start until the leaders were getting close to Amen Corner. I remember it was a big deal when they started to broadcast the whole front 9, which is why the back 9 at Augusta is still more famous and better known.

Sylar
12-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Only sporadically seen this over the weekend but the couch is going to have my outline in it come midnight :greengrin

Tiger WILD off the first tee and not for the first time.

Andy74
12-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Masters coverage currently seems to be flowers and music. Really is a wierd broadcast arrangement in this tournament.

Sylar
12-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Masters coverage currently seems to be flowers and music. Really is a wierd broadcast arrangement in this tournament.

Guessing you must be on Sky? Pretty comprehensive golf coverage on the BBC so far, with the odd irritating 'Ken on the Course' thing they do.

Golden Bear
12-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Sky have the Beeb beat hands down with their coverage. It's mostly putts on the Beeb so I'm guessing they don't have anything like the number of cameras that Sky has.

Andy74
12-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Figured out why. Was still on the red button coverage I had it on earlier!!

Sylar
12-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Sky have the Beeb beat hands down with their coverage. It's mostly putts on the Beeb so I'm guessing they don't have anything like the number of cameras that Sky has.

Sky and the BBC are both relying on the cameras available to the US broadcasters. I think the BBC have been fairly comprehensive since their live coverage got underway - seen nearly every shot hit since Tiger/Rory got underway and they've been fine showing the highlights (chip-ins, good putts, solid approach shots) from the groups further back. However, Sky should be declared winners because they don't have Ken Brown...having said that, they DO have Monty but Sarah Stirk trumps Hazel Irvine :greengrin

Sergey
12-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Anyone know the rule regarding the pine needles that act as rough. Are you allowed to ground the club or is this a hazard?

Golden Bear
12-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Sky and the BBC are both relying on the cameras available to the US broadcasters. I tuhink the BBC have been fairly comprehensive since their live coverage got underway - seen nearly every shot hit since Tiger/Rory got underway and they've been fine showing the highlights (chip-ins, good putts, solid approach shots) from the groups further back. However, Sky shoulde declared winners because they don't have Ken Brown...having said that, they DO have Monty but Sarah Stirk trumps Hazel Irvine :greengrin

Nah - definately different cameras being used! I've watched both the Beeb and Sky and there's no comparison in the quality of the coverage. Sky rules ok !!!

Golden Bear
12-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Anyone know the rule regarding the pine needles that act as rough. Are you allowed to ground the club or is this a hazard?

Loose impediments and yes you can ground the club ok.

Pretty Boy
12-04-2015, 08:23 PM
Rose is in all kinds of bother here.

Pretty Boy
12-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Some recovery from there mind you.

Sergey
12-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Loose impediments and yes you can ground the club ok.

I've just watched Rose try to hit a 4 iron (maybe even a 3 iron) without grounding the club in that ****.

Not an easy shot at the best of times, but not grounding a straight faced iron makes it almost impossible to control.

Hanny
12-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Some recovery from there mind you.

Deserved to go in.

Golden Bear
12-04-2015, 08:33 PM
I've just watched Rose try to hit a 4 iron (maybe even a 3 iron) without grounding the club in that ****.

Not an easy shot at the best of times, but not grounding a straight faced iron makes it almost impossible to control.

He was probably scared of moving the ball inadvertently so took the risk factor out by not grounding the club.

Sergey
12-04-2015, 08:37 PM
He was probably scared of moving the ball inadvertently so took the risk factor out by not grounding the club.

I understand the nuances of the shot, but surely grounding the club several inches behind the ball and punching through it is better than floating the (straight-faced) club-head in the air?

It's how I would have played it...and probably why I'm sat on the sofa sipping red wine :greengrin

Golden Bear
12-04-2015, 08:45 PM
I understand the nuances of the shot, but surely grounding the club several inches behind the ball and punching through it is better than floating the (straight-faced) club-head in the air?

It's how I would have played it...and probably why I'm sat on the sofa sipping red wine :greengrin

Hidden roots etc can cause the ball to move, anyway backto the action. Come in Mr Speith - he's carrying the weight of my money at 10/1!

NYHibby
12-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I'm watching on the BBC, and I really miss the Masters theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpwHBn6ikg

heretoday
13-04-2015, 08:53 PM
I'm watching on the BBC, and I really miss the Masters theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlpwHBn6ikg

I do get a bit bored with all the soft focus and schmalzy stuff though. They do it with all sports now. It's a filler because they haven't got anything interesting to say.

Horse racing is the worst. Clare Balding starts it off and then it's slowmo for ages to the sound of ambient music. You half expect some big old chaser to turn to camera and open up with Circle of Life.