PDA

View Full Version : Wigan want Stubbs? (No. Gary Caldwell named new manager)

Heisenberg
06-04-2015, 11:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB8afTEWgAE8-Da.jpg:large

CB_NO3
06-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Hope not. We are far from being the complete team but I am still enjoying life with Stubbs. His style is night and day compared to Butcher and Fenlon. My worry is Stubbs still has his family down south so may be tempted.

Hibernia&Alba
06-04-2015, 11:13 PM
I hope there's nothing in this story. The last thing we need is a return to the drawing board yet again. Wigan will be in the third tier next season, and it isn't as if they're a big club who could stroll that division. The fact the move would take Stubbs back home might be influential, however. If we were to win promotion, I'm sure he'd stay with Hibs.

SteveHFC
06-04-2015, 11:15 PM
I hope there's nothing in this story. The last thing we need is a return to the drawing board yet again. Wigan will be in the third tier next season, and it isn't as if they're a big club who could stroll that division. The fact the move would take Stubbs back home might be influential, however. If we were to win promotion, I'm sure he'd stay with Hibs.

Think Wigan will be stuck down in the third tier for years to come.

matty_f
06-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I would have thought Neilson would have been the more obvious choice.

silverhibee
06-04-2015, 11:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CB8afTEWgAE8-Da.jpg:large

Agent putting stubbs name about, surely they would be after Robbie.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2015, 11:22 PM
No chance.

It will take more than a decent eight months managing in the second tier of Scottish football before Alan Stubbs will be a serious contender for jobs down south.

Hibernia&Alba
06-04-2015, 11:28 PM
No chance.

It will take more than a decent eight months managing in the second tier of Scottish football before Alan Stubbs will be a serious contender for jobs down south.

But surely a second tier Hibs is a better job than a third tier Wigan Athletic anyway? I would certainly say so.

Heisenberg
06-04-2015, 11:31 PM
No chance.

According to the article John Doolan is apparently well thought of at Wigan and he would have the likes of Roberto Martinez to give him a glowing reference as well. Can't see it happening either right enough.

ScottB
07-04-2015, 12:05 AM
But surely a second tier Hibs is a better job than a third tier Wigan Athletic anyway? I would certainly say so.

In pure money terms I very much doubt it.

mca
07-04-2015, 12:53 AM
Do we get Malky.. :confused:

bingo70
07-04-2015, 05:32 AM
Was at Easter road for an event thing a few weeks ago, Stubbs wasn't there but someone asked John Doolan if he thought Stubbs would go back down south if the Everton job came up. He certainly never denied it and basically suggested that would be his dream job. He was very respectful about hibs but I did think that if offered they'd be away pretty quickly.

Obviously it's not the Everton job he's being considered for just now but he'll know he won't go straight from Hibs to Everton so may consider this as a good stepping stone.

On the flip side though, if Doolan thought Wigan was a good place to be he wouldn't have left them to join us.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 05:54 AM
If he wants to go then there's nothing we can do but I'd suggest that he won't take it just now and think he'll see the season out at hibs first.

bingo70
07-04-2015, 06:04 AM
If he wants to go then there's nothing we can do but I'd suggest that he won't take it just now and think he'll see the season out at hibs first.

If he's being offered a deal by Wigan I'd imagine it would be on the understanding he'll join them immediately.

Lmc2105
07-04-2015, 06:18 AM
Is Wigan not close to merseyside? Just thinking family etc.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 06:18 AM
If he's being offered a deal by Wigan I'd imagine it would be on the understanding he'll join them immediately.

To be honest I don't see what he's done to be tipped for a move already. We've been ok but not brilliant. Would have thought Neilson would have got tipped first?

Fife-Hibee
07-04-2015, 06:24 AM
Is Wigan not close to merseyside? Just thinking family etc.

About 25 mile

bingo70
07-04-2015, 06:26 AM
To be honest I don't see what he's done to be tipped for a move already. We've been ok but not brilliant. Would have thought Neilson would have got tipped first?

I agree. He's obviously highly thought of though and with Martinez and Doolan you could have two people talking very highly of him.

I think the problem with Neilson is that he won't have any reputation down south and people won't know if he's actually any good or if it's levein pulling the strings.

Lmc2105
07-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Could be the fact that Doolan is with him also. Wigan were not happy to lose him and could be going back to people they trust checked the bookies for odds and nothing Quoting him or Neilson.

BT58
07-04-2015, 06:32 AM
In the article it says both men ( AS & JD) are highly regarded by the Wigan chairman.
Think its a tough choice, to be nearer your family or be loyal to your employer ??

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 06:33 AM
I agree. He's obviously highly thought of though and with Martinez and Doolan you could have two people talking very highly of him.

I think the problem with Neilson is that he won't have any reputation down south and people won't know if he's actually any good or if it's levein pulling the strings.

He was at Leicester as a player was he not? Still, not managing down there. I do think Stubbs would be mad to leave at the moment with the position that we are in. Chance of promotion and possibly a cup final. If he goes then fair enough but at the moment it's pure speculation by a pishy newspaper.

Ronniekirk
07-04-2015, 06:38 AM
Why is it that other teams seem to be able to hang on to decent managers for a reasonable period but when we get one they get linked with moves fairly quickly in thier career .this is last thing the players need as speculation if not quickly put to bed could unsettle squad that's already unsettled by their own performances of late .
Stubbs hasn't hidden his ambition,Mowbty rejected first club to come calling as it wasn't the right move at the right time and would expect Stubbs to do the same re Wigan .

BT58
07-04-2015, 06:41 AM
Looking at the table. Wigan are 8 points off safety. Theyve left it too late ( MM) was a gamble that didnt work.

matty_f
07-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Hibs can say 'no' and I think both Hibs and Stubbs would reject Wigan at this moment in time.
Stubbs has everything he needs to succeed at Hibs, and has the backing of the board to the extent that his job will be safe even in the unlikely event that we don't reach the play offs.
I don't think a manager would walk away from that lightly these days.

JimBHibees
07-04-2015, 07:04 AM
Can't see it happening now however end of the season if Wigan down and looking for a manager, maybe more likely.

GreenArmyyy!
07-04-2015, 07:14 AM
This early in his managerial career this would be a very dangerous move for him to take as Wigan are in free fall, mind you, so were Hibs. Don't think he will take it.

johnbc70
07-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Money talks, I bet Stubbs and his backroom staff would get hefty salary increases if they did go. However not everyone is motivated by money. We will see in next few days if there is something in this.

bingo70
07-04-2015, 07:19 AM
Hibs can say 'no' and I think both Hibs and Stubbs would reject Wigan at this moment in time.
Stubbs has everything he needs to succeed at Hibs, and has the backing of the board to the extent that his job will be safe even in the unlikely event that we don't reach the play offs.

I think you're looking at this with green tinted specs on matty.

Yes, he's probably got job security for another year with Hibs but he'll not be expected to keep Wigan up so he'd have that with Wigan as well.

Other factors could be:-

More money, salary and transfer budget.
Closer to home and family.
Gets his foot in the door in English football in terms of management.
Better stepping stone to a bigger club.
Rejuvinated rangers up here will make promotion more difficult, will he want another year against the likes of falkirk, qots etc?
His stock is high just now, he might not get another opportunity.
If we don't go up our budget could get cut drastically, losing our best players.

If I was him I'd certainly give it a lot of thought, imo it'd probably be the smart move to make.

lucky
07-04-2015, 07:23 AM
I'd be surprised if he said no. Wigan are not the biggest club but with the TV money even outside the top two leagues he'd have a bigger budget and have the chance to build his managerial career 25 miles from his home rather than up here in the Scottish Championship. If he wants to go then as a club we move on. We were told that LD and GC were forward planners and that the football club would not suffer if Stubbs moved on. We may be about to find out if it's true

Barney McGrew
07-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Lets be brutally honest here, money talks.

He'd get a higher salary, a bigger transfer budget, be closer to home and be in a place where it will be much easier to be 'seen' for the bigger jobs that will no doubt come his way down the line.

If he gets offered it, he'll take it. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs some medication.

Brightside
07-04-2015, 07:31 AM
I'd be surprised if he said no. Wigan are not the biggest club but with the TV money even outside the top two leagues he'd have a bigger budget and have the chance to build his managerial career 25 miles from his home rather than up here in the Scottish Championship. If he wants to go then as a club we move on. We were told that LD and GC were forward planners and that the football club would not suffer if Stubbs moved on. We may be about to find out if it's true

I'd be gutted if he left..we are a couple fo players away from being a very good side. We may have had a couple of poor results recently but the football this season has technically been light years away from recent seasons. If i was him I'd stay at Hibs for the next season and then look to a top Championship team in England. Wigan are only going in one direction.

bingo70
07-04-2015, 07:33 AM

I agree.

I've criticized him on a few threads recently but I do like Stubbs so I'll be Dissapointed if he goes, I think given time he could build an excellent side. That said there's been times recently I've questioned if we could be doing better so I don't think he's irreplaceable.

In terms of succession planning I'd always had a feeling we might have had John Doolan in mind, if Wigan want both of them then that could cause a problem.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2015, 07:36 AM

The flip side of that job security is that if we failed to get promotion again next season, which is far from a given with the teams the could be in the league, his reputation would be potnetially irreparably damaged.

J-C
07-04-2015, 07:40 AM
Wish this thread was posted earlier today as I passed him on the promenade around 2.30ish and I would've asked him if any of it were true.

Leithenhibby
07-04-2015, 07:46 AM
The flip side of that job security is that if we failed to get promotion again next season, which is far from a given with the teams the could be in the league, his reputation would be potnetially irreparably damaged.

It was always going to be this. plus when Stubbs turned up at East Mains the place was a ghost town and he knew he had a project that would take a good while to sort out. He'll stay IMO :wink:

3pm
07-04-2015, 07:47 AM
It wouldn't bother me if he left.

Brightside
07-04-2015, 07:49 AM
Wish this thread was posted earlier today as I passed him on the promenade around 2.30ish and I would've asked him if any of it were true.

230am? Did Forresters have a lock in?

Brightside
07-04-2015, 07:49 AM

Thats the spirit.

3pm
07-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Thats the spirit.

Cheers gaffer.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 07:54 AM

Pish.

J-C
07-04-2015, 07:54 AM
230am? Did Forresters have a lock in?

Funny I never said am or pm :greengrin it was in the afternoon, he was queueing to get into a cafe.

3pm
07-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Pish.

Well you talk enough of it so I suppose you're well qualified to spot such a post.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Well you talk enough of it so I suppose you're well qualified to spot such a post.

Oh that's good. Very funny. You wouldn't be bothered if he left, all this "change" the club has went through for the better dismantled in an instant with our management team possibly leaving and then the club would have to start over again. You're no bothered though so there's no point in me posting this.

andrew70
07-04-2015, 08:04 AM
A few points to make here:

1. This, IMO, is the Rangers biased media trying to cause further problems in our attempts to win promotion

2. Stubbs has, as yet, achieved nothing in terms of proper football success. What he has achieved is turning us around and with the help of his assistants, Dempster and Craig they have made a massive difference in a relatively short period of time.

3. I think he will have been asked this very question in his initial interview. "What would happen if you get an offer from club a, b or c?" As I fully believe that Hibs although strategically future planning wouldn't be wanting to change managers so soon after his arrival.

4. He will undoubtedly move on but he will do so with Hibernian back in the Premiership. When that day comes though Hibs now, as has previously been alluded to, have a structure in place which will enable them to pick the best available Head Coach out there to work alongside a very industrious and important backroom staff.

5. I'd be very surprised if anything comes of this Stubbs and co know the job that is in hand and he will see it through.

On that note anyone know what odds he is? :wink:

Billy McKirdy
07-04-2015, 08:04 AM
I think there's probably nothing it this at all, as mentioned above, it's getting interesting in the Championship now and not unlike when the Glasgow media try to unsettle our players at crucial times I think they're trying the same with Stubbs, no other media outlet has so far reported this so it's obvious BS.

Bobby's Cinema
07-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Oh that's good. Very funny. You wouldn't be bothered if he left, all this "change" the club has went through for the better dismantled in an instant with our management team possibly leaving and then the club would have to start over again. You're no bothered though so there's no point in me posting this.

I think it would be a nightmare. There are a good few players in which he will have had a big influence on their hanging around.

Whatever people might think about where we are, a few recent substitutions and results, starting again will see further plummeting ST sales, another adjustment period and maybe another season down here.

The very last thing we need imo.

3pm
07-04-2015, 08:07 AM

I would have at least put my point forward if you'd asked. If you had disagreed then no problem, that's why we are here.

Yer reply of 'pish' was only ever going to get the reply you got!

Jim44
07-04-2015, 08:25 AM

If we failed to get promotion again next year, I think he would be out on his neck. The thought of three unsuccessful attempts to return to the mediocrity of the Scottish Premiership is unthinkabl.

blackpoolhibs
07-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Wigan is not a real football club, they live in the shadows of the rugby team and are artificially inflated or have been by the money they have received from tv and their owner who's not putting that kind of money in anymore.

That money is gone now and this is a club in deep decline, he'd be stupid to go there now. 3 or 4 years ago he'd have had a chance, but there's only one way this club is going and its not upwards.

And lets be very honest here, Stubbs has done no more than ok in a piss poor league. He might be a good manager in the future, but he's hardly been a roaring success.

I cant see any reason other than money and being nearer his home for him to take this job, it certainly would not be for footballing reasons in my opinion?

Forza Fred
07-04-2015, 08:27 AM
Lets be brutally honest here, money talks.

He'd get a higher salary, a bigger transfer budget, be closer to home and be in a place where it will be much easier to be 'seen' for the bigger jobs that will no doubt come his way down the line.

If he gets offered it, he'll take it. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs some medication.

Cruel, but fair

McIntosh
07-04-2015, 08:29 AM
I would have at least put my point forward if you'd asked. If you had disagreed then no problem, that's why we are here.

My friend, what is your reasoning behind your apparent ambivalence?

greenginger
07-04-2015, 08:33 AM
I don't think Wigan would be a good move for Stubbs.

Sure its nearer his family but Wigan FC share the DW stadium with the big team in town, Wigan Rugby League and the the pitch is a ploughed field at the moment.

Would not suit Stubb's type of football at all. However I could recommend an out of work former England Captain who's style of play would be ideal . :greengrin

Geo_1875
07-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Wigan is not a real football club, they live in the shadows of the rugby team and are artificially inflated or have been by the money they have received from tv and their owner who's not putting that kind of money in anymore.

That money is gone now and this is a club in deep decline, he'd be stupid to go there now. 3 or 4 years ago he'd have had a chance, but there's only one way this club is going and its not upwards.

And lets be very honest here, Stubbs has done no more than ok in a piss poor league. He might be a good manager in the future, but he's hardly been a roaring success.

I cant see any reason other than money and being nearer his home for him to take this job, it certainly would not be for footballing reasons in my opinion?

They were lucky to get elected to the English Leagues and were artificially boosted by a rich chairman. They'll suffer the same fate as many other clubs when that money stops.

Keith_M
07-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Why would anybody want to manage a crappy wee team playing in some backwater lower league with very few fans that can be bothered attending the games?

Anyway, that's enough about Hibs.............................

:duck:

:greengrin

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 08:39 AM

Fair point.

Scooter
07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Another way to look at it, is we are now looking over our shoulder at Queens and Falkirk and if we weren't to pull it together and fall to 5th place and not make the playoffs then IMO he should be sacked

McIntosh
07-04-2015, 08:52 AM
Another way to look at it, is we are now looking over our shoulder at Queens and Falkirk and if we weren't to pull it together and fall to 5th place and not make the playoffs then IMO he should be sacked You seem to have forgotten how bad things were under Butcher. The reactionary approach you are advocating in part got us there. We have a good management team in place and they need support both financial and emotional for us to achieve our aim which is to take our club back to the very top of Scottish football.

heretoday
07-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Sadly, I disagree.

bingo70
07-04-2015, 08:56 AM
You seem to have forgotten how bad things were under Butcher. The reactionary approach you are advocating in part got us there. We have a good management team in place and they need support both financial and emotional for us to achieve our aim which is to take our club back to the very top of Scottish football.

I think we can blame butcher for our bad start to the season, I think blaming him for recent performances Is probably pushing it a bit though.

I think we need stability so it'd take a complete disaster for Stubbs to lose his job and I don't think there's much chance we'll fail to make the play offs.

Keith_M
07-04-2015, 09:11 AM
I think we can blame butcher for our bad start to the season, I think blaming him for recent performances Is probably pushing it a bit though.

I think we need stability so it'd take a complete disaster for Stubbs to lose his job and I don't think there's much chance we'll fail to make the play offs.

I would have agreed with you up until recently. However, our recent run has made me much less confident.

-------

Aside from Hibs, there are three groups of Clubs in our league. The first is Hearts and Rangers, the second group is Falkirk, QOS and possibly Raith, then there are the also rans

We have done reasonably well against the top two, have finally got our act together against the also-rans but are just not good enough against the middle group of teams. The problem is that this middle group of teams are our actual competitors for both the Play-Offs and the Semi Final.

Our lack of ability to compete with these teams so far has frankly knocked all confidence I have of a reasonable end to our season.

-------

I'm not normally a pessimist, trying always to look for the positive in any situation, but this is my honest assessment of where we are.

McIntosh
07-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Agree totally with your points raised. Our current poor forms I think was inevitable - the psychological aspect of the Ranger's defeat has had a pronounced effect but this can be remedied by the management team we have in place. It is important to get a win under our belt defeating hearts would have a tremendous effect on morale not just for the team!!!

BroxburnHibee
07-04-2015, 09:22 AM
Same old story I'm afraid.

Be surprised if he goes but if he continues to improve us then it won't be long before he gets a job offer he can't refuse.

Just the way it is and always has been.

Love the Green
07-04-2015, 09:41 AM

Except players

SonOfDavidFrancey
07-04-2015, 09:42 AM
The original article is hardly hard news. 'Among the front runners'. 'Highly thought of'. Etc etc. In other words, mackay was sacked too late last night for anyone to be spoken to, AS's assistant has a Wigan connection. Abracadabra. The Wigan chairman is 23 incidentally.

Northernhibee
07-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Except players

You really are relentless with the negativity, aren't you?

NAE NOOKIE
07-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Going by reading his book Stubbs seems to make decisions based as much on his feelings of self worth and how it will affect his family as he does for footballing reasons, though there's no doubt he is very ambitious. He was on cloud 9 when Everton signed him from Celtic and yet still left them for Sunderland when they would only offer him a one year contract. He left a no doubt well paid coaching job at the club he loves to go into the Hibs job.

Look at the up sides for him if he is offered the job.

The money will be better
He can live in Liverpool with his family
There is no chance he will be sacked if Wigan go down
Wigan are still run by the same rich family, so his budget in the 1st division would be up with the best

He must know that if Hibs stay down he will have one season with less money and probably with a worse squad to get us out of a league which might still contain the Zombies or get sacked. Having said that, if he wins the cup he will be untouchable for a few seasons, but that's a 100/1 shot.

What would you do?

woodythehibee
07-04-2015, 10:12 AM
No chance

Golden Bear
07-04-2015, 10:22 AM
We'd better get used to rumours like this however it's got to be said that AS has proved absolutely nothing yet.

silverhibee
07-04-2015, 11:27 AM
In the article it says both men ( AS & JD) are highly regarded by the Wigan chairman.
Think its a tough choice, to be nearer your family or be loyal to your employer ??

It won't happen, but just say it did, then Hibs need to start thinking really hard about who they employ as manager, as this situation has happened a few times now where we sign managers and there family aren't willing to come to Edinburgh and stay here and then we start hearing all sorts of stories about the manager spending more time travelling back and forward down South or where ever the family home is and not enough time at East Mains.

But as i say this won't happen, 1, Stubbs hasn't done enough in football as a manager to get the job, and 2, Wigan will be looking for someone with a lot more experience than Alan Stubbs, and finally 3, Ms Dempster would tell Wigan to f*** off.

Or is this just more media pish to upset Hibs run in to the end of the season.

.Sean.
07-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Was gonna post the same. Like Stubbs but I wouldn't be devastated if he left. We're an average side in the Scottish first division... He ain't made us world beaters.

Green Fish
07-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Was gonna post the same. Like Stubbs but I wouldn't be devastated if he left. We're an average side in the Scottish first division... He ain't made us world beaters.

Agreed, which players of ours, if any, would he target if he did go?

Aubenas
07-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I think we need to knock the 'family won't come to Edinburgh' stuff on the head. Stubbs left them there because his son is at college - and also training with Everton, I think, and his daughter is studying (nursing or teaching, I think) Anybody whose kids were at that stage would think twice about uprooting them.

With football the way it is these days very few managers, or even players, completely up sticks for a job that may only last 18 months (especially at Hibs!)

Stubbs, Taff and JD are hugely professional and spend long hours at EM, and they've been at every Dev Game I've been at. I'm sure the time they spend travelling up and down to Formby is spent discussing club matters.

It's a journey I do often and wouldn't take much over 4 hours in Stubbs Merc - which for some folk who work in London would be just about a 'normal' commute. He could be home just after 10 on Saturday and back at EM for 10 on a Monday quite easily - if he even goes home every weekend - lots of families cope with separation for employment and I guess it comes with the territory for football families.

I don't know what the story was with CC - but the rumours certainly did him no favours. Mind you, Butcher moved to North Berwick......

Lago
07-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Wigan almost certainly will be religated and therefore can hold off making an appointment till the summer, Hibs fail to get promotion Stubbs would almost certainly find it an attractive propostion if offered the post. No brainer really.

hibees 7062
07-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Going by reading his book Stubbs seems to make decisions based as much on his feelings of self worth and how it will affect his family as he does for footballing reasons, though there's no doubt he is very ambitious. He was on cloud 9 when Everton signed him from Celtic and yet still left them for Sunderland when they would only offer him a one year contract. He left a no doubt well paid coaching job at the club he loves to go into the Hibs job.

Look at the up sides for him if he is offered the job.

The money will be better
He can live in Liverpool with his family
There is no chance he will be sacked if Wigan go down
Wigan are still run by the same rich family, so his budget in the 1st division would be up with the best

He must know that if Hibs stay down he will have one season with less money and probably with a worse squad to get us out of a league which might still contain the Zombies or get sacked. Having said that, if he wins the cup he will be untouchable for a few seasons, but that's a 100/1 shot.

What would you do?

That might sway it

silverhibee
07-04-2015, 12:16 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-stubbs-linked-with-wigan-vacancy-1-3740099

He can put this rumour to bed when he gives his press conference today hopefully.

Hope he isn't a bag of sweetie's man. :greengrin

Benny Brazil
07-04-2015, 12:21 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-stubbs-linked-with-wigan-vacancy-1-3740099

He can put this rumour to bed when he gives his press conference today hopefully.

Not exactly a No is it - http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stubbs-my-full-focus-is-on-hibs-1-3740099

Brightside
07-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Not exactly a No is it - http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/stubbs-my-full-focus-is-on-hibs-1-3740099

When asked about his name being linked to the role in Lancashire, Stubbs said: “It’s news to me. The first I heard of it [my name being linked] was at 10am this morning. All I’m concentrating on is the match against Dumbarton tomorrow.”

AndyM_1875
07-04-2015, 12:47 PM
According to a Wigan chap I converse with on Twitter he very much doubts that the Latics will appoint a British Coach. The last 2 in Mackay and Coyle were absolute disasters.

They want another Roberto Martinez.

darwenhibby
07-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Just been reported on Granada report s
No smoke without Fire

Keith_M
07-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Why do you say that?

He just said that it's news to him, therefore dismissing it as nothing but speculation. What else could he say?

snooky
07-04-2015, 01:19 PM
When asked about his name being linked to the role in Lancashire, Stubbs said: “It’s news to me. The first I heard of it [my name being linked] was at 10am this morning. All I’m concentrating on is the match against Dumbarton tomorrow.”

Stubbs (or indeed any other manager) has no reason to be loyal to any club. Business is business.
If he gets better money and he thinks it's a good move, he'll go and won't look back.
Loyalty is a human weakness that is found only in supporters.

NAE NOOKIE
07-04-2015, 01:20 PM

That's it .... everybody understands managers move on for better offers, they don't make it clear they are looking for a better offer while still in the job. Was there ever a football manager in the Scottish leagues with less integrity than Calderclown. Stubbs is way better than that.

Benny Brazil
07-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Why do you say that?

He just said that it's news to him, therefore dismissing it as nothing but speculation. What else could he say?

Well he could have come out and said something like he has no interest in going anywhere else, he is happy where he is and he still has a job to do - maybe I am being pedantic - but we see all the time Managers linked with other jobs and they deflect it by saying my focus is on the next game - then a week or two later they are gone.

Keith_M
07-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Well he could have come out and said something like he has no interest in going anywhere else, he is happy where he is and he still has a job to do - maybe I am being pedantic - but we see all the time Managers linked with other jobs and they deflect it by saying my focus is on the next game - then a week or two later they are gone.

Fair enough.

I just took his comments as a dismissal of the speculation, but it's true that you never know what's going to happen next.

Benny Brazil
07-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Fair enough.

I just took his comments as a dismissal of the speculation, but it's true that you never know what's going to happen next.

I hope it is - the last thing we need at this time of the season is a change of manager

Thecat23
07-04-2015, 03:01 PM
If Wigan ask Hibs if they can speak to Stubbs Hibs will prob say yes. Only after speaking with Stubbs themselves. AS will want to do the best he can and Wigan is a step up.

He may well decide its not for him and Wigan may not even ask, but if they offer a job to him I'll bet all the money I have he will and should take it. I'll be gutted myself but it's football and we will move on.

SteveHFC
07-04-2015, 03:17 PM

:agree:

J-C
07-04-2015, 03:25 PM
I like Stubbs but it's plain to see Hibs are a stepping stone for him or he'd have brought his family up here to live, we're never going to get a worldy manager but we'll always look to bring in someone Mowbray/Stubbs etc. Wigan look like going down but they're still a fairly big pull due to the ownership and money availible, so for family reasons and the chance to manage on a bigger stage may be too much of a pull for him. It all means we are back to square one, new coach, new players, new transition...............only at Hibs.

hibees 7062
07-04-2015, 03:26 PM
If the compensations right he will be away

bingo70
07-04-2015, 03:29 PM
I like Stubbs but it's plain to see Hibs are a stepping stone for him or he'd have brought his family up here to live, we're never going to get a worldy manager but we'll always look to bring in someone Mowbray/Stubbs etc. Wigan look like going down but they're still a fairly big pull due to the ownership and money availible, so for family reasons and the chance to manage on a bigger stage may be too much of a pull for him. It all means we are back to square one, new coach, new players, new transition...............only at Hibs.

I'd offer John Doolan the job for that reason.

Saying that, I do enjoy a bit managerial speculation, especially when random Portuguese or Spaniards start to get touted!

SteveHFC
07-04-2015, 03:32 PM
http://www.wigan.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28399&posts=13

greenginger
07-04-2015, 03:43 PM
Had the car in at Tyres at Farmers , Maidencraig and was waiting outside with a complimentary coffee and STF is leaving his office and sits down for a chat.

Got to say he is looking an awful lot better than he was at the beginning of the year.

Sir Tom has just left and Rod Petrie appears and stops for a chat too. I asked him if there was anything in the Stubbs / Wigan story.
He says he did'nt think there was anything in it, but, said with football people you can never tell what they will want to do.

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2015, 04:05 PM
If AS leaves for Wigan, I will eat my shirt... No chance

3pm
07-04-2015, 04:07 PM

I've see your gear. Every cloud....

:o)

bingo70
07-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Do you think he'd turn it down if offered or do you think he won't be approached?

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2015, 04:08 PM
I've see your gear. Every cloud....

:o)

Haha give you that one........

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Do you think he'd turn it down if offered or do you think he won't be approached?

Think he would turn it down............

Pretty Boy
07-04-2015, 04:11 PM

Tbh no manager knows where they will be in 2 weeks never mind 2 months or 2 years. He was asked about it and made a pretty neutral comment.

We are a club where players and managers will inevitably move on, if they are being linked with other clubs it's generally a good sign and I've no issue with guys like Stubbs and Mowbray previously having bigger ambitions than Hibs. I'd rather that than another 'here as long as you want me' McLeish situation before he was off at the first opportunity.

Golden Bear
07-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Personally I think that Robbie Neilson is just the man for the Wigan job. WE have a duty to enlighten Wigan FC accordingly.

:wink:

BOB MARLEYS DUG
07-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Gary Caldwell appointed manager.

bingo70
07-04-2015, 04:49 PM

On a permanent basis?

PISTOL1875
07-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Gary Caldwell has just been appointed according to SSN...

Golden Bear
07-04-2015, 04:51 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/31980263

hibees 7062
07-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Personally I think that Robbie Neilson is just the man for the Wigan job. WE have a duty to enlighten Wigan FC accordingly.

:wink:

Potter doesnae fancy it :greengrin

Billy Whizz
07-04-2015, 04:53 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/31980263

Puts that to bed then

bingo70
07-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Gary Caldwell has just been appointed according to SSN...

Be interesting to see if that's permanent or just until the summer.

Either way, good news as didn't want to lose Stubbs at this time of the season.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Be interesting to see if that's permanent or just until the summer.

Either way, good news as didn't want to lose Stubbs at this time of the season.

It's permanent, now on the official Wigan website

weonlywon6-2
07-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Good that this story is done and dusted already

Hibernia&Alba
07-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Sadly, I disagree.

You could be right, mate, but it's sad times indeed if a Wigan, when dropping like a stone, is a bigger job than Hibs. If they were still EPL, fair enough, but they're going into League One unless they pull off a miracle. There's a much better chance of success with Hibs: we have a cup semi final coming up. If he could get us promoted and then be a decent team in the SPL, he has a much better chance of getting himself noticed at a good English club.

Being as objective as I can be, I would say Hibs is the more prestigious job.

DH1875
07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
It's permanent, now on the official Wigan website

How longs the contract?

Billy Whizz
07-04-2015, 04:58 PM
How longs the contract?

Doesn't say

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 04:59 PM

Aye, you're right! No chance! Your shirts are massive!!!!

lyonhibs
07-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Caldwell. Interesting. Bit of a win-win for him, no-one expects a great deal as they are in an utter mess (no home wins since AUGUST FFS!) and he's a FA Cup winner with them so I daresay a bit of club legend by default.

In retrospect, one of the best CB's we've had in the period since he joined us. Bombscare potential and had one especially grim game against Aberdeen after he'd been linked to Celtc but would have strolled into most Hibs teams since he left.

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Aye, you're right! No chance! Your shirts are massive!!!!

ouch, that hurt:shotdowni

ancient hibee
07-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Hibs locked in promotion battle with Rangers.

Unsubstantiated story links Hibs manager with another club.

What a surprise.

Hibernia&Alba
07-04-2015, 05:23 PM
Hibs locked in promotion battle with Rangers.

Unsubstantiated story links Hibs manager with another club.

What a surprise.

Yup, the laptop loyal in the press desperate to distract Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Chalk that one down to lazy journalism then. It would've been easier to make up the Caldwell story so not sure why they didn't go with that.

ancient hibee
07-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Chalk that one down to lazy journalism then. It would've been easier to make up the Caldwell story so not sure why they didn't go with that.

Caldwell not connected to Hibs??

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 05:31 PM
ouch, that hurt:shotdowni

Sorry mate! :wink::greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Caldwell not connected to Hibs??
Not sure why an English paper would be trying to undermine Hibs?

We're doing a good enough job of that ourselves just now anyway.

ancient hibee
07-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Not sure why an English paper would be trying to undermine Hibs?

We're doing a good enough job of that ourselves just now anyway.

It was in the Scottish edition.

iwasthere1972
07-04-2015, 06:32 PM
On a permanent basis?

Permanent. Nothing is permanent so give him until Christmas.

Seems a strange appointment. Can't imagine that it's gone down well with the natives .

3pm
07-04-2015, 07:03 PM
My friend, what is your reasoning behind your apparent ambivalence?

Does it matter now?! :o)

Baldy Foghorn
07-04-2015, 07:27 PM
STV coverage was laughable.

5.58 they say Stubbs interesting Wigan.

Program starts no mention in opening credits....

Sports news, they have an interview with Stubbs talking about Wigan interest, however could not play it due to technical difficulties.....Must have realised just as they went on air, that Wigan had a new manager.

California-Hibs
08-04-2015, 01:15 AM
Phew, thank goodness for that! Was beginning to get a bit worried by it all, so I'm glad it's quickly been resolved and Caldwell has taken charge for the long term.

I really like Allan Stubbs, the change that he's made at the club in such a short time is incredible, and no that doesn't solely focus ON the field, the difference behind the scenes these days at Hibs is incredible, and a lot of that is down to him.

We've said this before, we NEED continuity, and when we've managed to get a clearly decent manager like Stubbs in the door, it emphasizes that more so. Reading none sense from folk who say - "I don't care if he leaves" etc, is baffling to say the least! The over reaction to the last 3 results is laughable, and like Allan said himself In his interview, one minute everything is great going on a decent run of 1 defeat in 27, and then all of a sudden supports go to panic mode with 3 defeats, 1of which we were extremely unlucky not to win. Deserved nothing from the other 2.

The wheels have certainly not came off, no where near it. Is it a concern? Of course it is, however I'm more than confident that after we win easily against Dumbarton, we'll be back on track.

Again, let's see where we are at the end of the season and take it from there, instead of hitting the panic button and throwing in the towel when there's still so much more to play for!

Mr Stubbs you have my FULL support in the project you're working on at Hibs! Once again glad to have the Wigan rumour put to bed and we can now concentrate on continuing to move forward!

CropleyWasGod
08-04-2015, 06:31 AM
I blame Petrie for not moving quickly enough to get Caldwell appointed.

davidw
08-04-2015, 08:03 AM
Yup, the laptop loyal in the press desperate to distract Hibs.

It was the Daily Mail. Pernicious, frothing, right-wing, asylum-seeker/migrant/poor-people bashing Tory supporting rag - and with a clueless sports department to boot!

Story should never have been believed.