PDA

View Full Version : Get Martin Boyle in the team!

California-Hibs
06-04-2015, 03:21 PM
What's everyone's opinion regarding this one?

I like him. I think he gives us something different and some much needed pace. I can rarely think of many games Ive seen him in where I've thought 'he's terrible, get him off'.

Is he getting a little bit of a raw deal here?

Could we possibly see him deployed in the right wing back role?

Penicuik Hibee
06-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Great pace. Finishing Dreadful. Not an easy one. Maybe an impact sub as we could have done with pace on Saturday

bod
06-04-2015, 03:33 PM
was disappointed he wasn't involved on Saturday.
bet his nicknames " jigsaw " = falls apart in the box

Centre Hawf
06-04-2015, 03:57 PM
Martin Boyle struggles with finishing. But I think his pace and movement stretches defences and moves their defenders around and allows his strike partner to pop up in positions left vacant thanks to his movement. I honestly think we should start him, I've seen no sign from the rest of our strikers that they can form a partnership together. For me the best "partnership" was Cummings and Boyle, except it was just Cummings grabbing the goals.

J-C
06-04-2015, 04:12 PM
Like Djedje he's a wide man turned into a wee bit of a striker, both have bags of pace and together wold frighten the hell out of most defenses, maybe a case to start both in a 4-2-3-1 and lets see what happens, can't be any worse.

Keith_M
06-04-2015, 04:21 PM
I've got a feeling that we're now clutching at straws.

What we actually need is at least one player, preferably two, that can score from some of the many chances we're missing, not someone who has no eye for goal.

The Leith Dutch
06-04-2015, 04:39 PM

What we actually need is at least one player, preferably two, that can score from some of the many chances we're missing, not someone who has no eye for goal.

This.

Last three games Shots (on Target):
QotS 10 (3)
Raith 20 (5)
The Rangers 8 (1)

That's a shot on target every half an hour which isn't good enough.

Hermit Crab
06-04-2015, 05:12 PM
To the op. Have you been to any games he's played in this season? If you have thenyou'd realise he's an impact player at best and not a starter.

Scouse Hibee
06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Can't help but think the OP has selective memory or is just throwing a name out through frustration. Boyle hasn't shown much to prove worthy of a start IMO.

eastterrace
06-04-2015, 05:48 PM

this is definitely a clutching at straw one, if he is going to be our savior then we have problems.

California-Hibs
06-04-2015, 10:35 PM
To the op. Have you been to any games he's played in this season? If you have thenyou'd realise he's an impact player at best and not a starter.

Watch Hibs every week they're at home on Hibs TV, also catch every away game that's televised, so I've seen my fair share of him thanks.

Agree with some centaments made above, his movement and ability to stretch defenders allowing others in makes him a valuable asset to have.

Again, I'd start him.

Smartie
06-04-2015, 11:29 PM
He's another player whose individual failings are easy to point out yet we've often looked a better team when he has played.

Hermit Crab
07-04-2015, 05:55 AM
He's another player whose individual failings are easy to point out yet we've often looked a better team when he has played.

Really? He came on last week at raith with ten minutes to go, I don't think he even touched the ball. Anonymous.

Ronniekirk
07-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Really? He came on last week at raith with ten minutes to go, I don't think he even touched the ball. Anonymous.
Has scored one good goal ,but missed several really good oppertunities which show he isn't a natural finisher.We haven't been able to utilise his pace to good effect iether so that's why his game time has been limited .Bring back Harris for the playoffs May be a better shout .

Unseen work
07-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Wish people would stop saying he's not a natural striker, and he's a winger turned striker.

Boyle has been a striker since he was about 13

Smartie
07-04-2015, 10:28 AM

I wasn't at the Raith game but every game he has started I have been impressed with him. He's brought so much to the team with his blinding pace that I am willing to overlook the fact that his finishing has been utterly abysmal.

J-C
07-04-2015, 11:22 AM
I wasn't at the Raith game but every game he has started I have been impressed with him. He's brought so much to the team with his blinding pace that I am willing to overlook the fact that his finishing has been utterly abysmal.

Did we take him on loan because he scores goals, or was he taken becuase of his sheer pace, similar to Djedje. What's the point in having this pace sit on the bench when we as a team are struggling to get behind teams and create.

Smartie
07-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Did we take him on loan because he scores goals, or was he taken becuase of his sheer pace, similar to Djedje. What's the point in having this pace sit on the bench when we as a team are struggling to get behind teams and create.

I don't know what the exact purpose of the loan was.

It is a team game though and all that matters is that the team scores goals and wins games. I think that as a team we have looked more like scoring with Boyle in the team than without him, albeit he doesn't exactly look clinical himself.

A striker can play well without having to touch the ball as long as he drags defenders around and makes space for others.

I think that creating space is something that we are really struggling to do at the moment and that Boyle's pace would help that massively.

There's no point in having good, clinical players if they are crowded out and we can't get the ball to them in positions they can exploit.

Brightside
07-04-2015, 11:41 AM

DJ has pace?

eastmainsmsh
07-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Been offered two year deal

Brightside
07-04-2015, 12:23 PM

Boyle?? I assume Dundee are letting him go.

eastmainsmsh
07-04-2015, 02:18 PM
I have been told this however time will tell

CockneyRebel
07-04-2015, 02:35 PM
I have been told this however time will tell

I thought Boyle was only signed with Dundee until the end of this season?

ancient hibee
07-04-2015, 05:52 PM
He has no composure.What's the point in having pace if you can't make it pay.One nice cross and one goal since he came are a poor return.

Greenblood70
07-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Can't help but think the OP has selective memory or is just throwing a name out through frustration. Boyle hasn't shown much to prove worthy of a start IMO.

Yep, agree, he flatters to deceive in my opinion. was a bit of a punt and it never really worked out...it happpens, would rather have Harris back than keep Boyle in all honesty.

Ronniekirk
07-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Wish people would stop saying he's not a natural striker, and he's a winger turned striker.

The phrase I used was he isn't a Natural Finisher and that's been Bourne out by the chances he has missed imo .

Scouse Hibee
07-04-2015, 07:28 PM

Really? You would never know it from his finishing or rather the lack of it.

Eyrie
07-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Seems odd given that he's not a regular starter.

portyhibernian
08-04-2015, 12:30 AM
Might not be a popular opinion but I think don't think he's any good at all.

andrew70
08-04-2015, 01:01 AM

If his auld man is to believed (not saying that's your source like) he's also wanted by Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hartley wants to keep him at Dens.

He also suggested that Harris would be leaving ER to go the other way as Dundee would be due compensation apparently, if a permanent move to Hibs happens in the summer.

I know which one I'd prefer.

Ronniekirk
09-04-2015, 06:16 AM
The phrase I used was he isn't a Natural Finisher and that's been Bourne out by the chances he has missed imo .

And by all accounts he proved yet again last night that you can lay them on a plate for him all night and he still can't score .More worryingly a few folk were pointing out his positioning was all over the place .At a time when we struggling to find the back of the net I am not convinced he is worth his place in the team Pace isn't everything .:rolleyes:

marti1875
09-04-2015, 06:33 AM
And by all accounts he proved yet again last night that you can lay them on a plate for him all night and he still can't score .More worryingly a few folk were pointing out his positioning was all over the place .At a time when we struggling to find the back of the net I am not convinced he is worth his place in the team Pace isn't everything .:rolleyes:

Yes, i was listening on Hibs TV and they were far from complimentary about Boyle's positioning sense.
At one stage one said it looked like he was lost and that he just didn't even know where he was supposed to be playing as he was all over the place seemingly :confused:

He aslo shows that you can have all the pace in the world but if that is ALL you have in the locker so to speak then it really isn't very helpful at all, not in the long run i think.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-04-2015, 06:50 AM
Said previously, that Dundee fans that I know all said that he has pace to burn, but he is a frustrating player because he consistently has no end product. Other posters have compared him to Gareth Evans, but he is more like Fillipe Morais to me.

Iain G
09-04-2015, 07:13 AM
He has no composure.What's the point in having pace if you can't make it pay.One nice cross and one goal since he came are a poor return.

Bit unfair, watched him in a few games as he has cut inside from out wide and put lovely balls across the six yard box that our strikers havent anticipated.

DH1875
09-04-2015, 08:00 AM
If his auld man is to believed (not saying that's your source like) he's also wanted by Kilmarnock, Motherwell and Hartley wants to keep him at Dens.

He also suggested that Harris would be leaving ER to go the other way as Dundee would be due compensation apparently, if a permanent move to Hibs happens in the summer.

I know which one I'd prefer.

Harris?

Smartie
09-04-2015, 08:22 AM
He was caught out once or twice but I didn't think his positioning was that bad. The whole team went to pieces for the first 10 minutes of the second half but I wouldn't say he was any more culpable than anyone else.

He played an outstanding ball in during the first half that was blazed over so should have had yet another assist. He was also in acres of space once or twice and we failed to spot him/ get it to him otherwise he could have had a greater impact.

I like him and thought he did well enough. He certainly gives teams something very different to think about. Not a vintage or MOTM performance but he was steady enough.

andrew70
09-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Yes, i was listening on Hibs TV and they were far from complimentary about Boyle's positioning sense.
At one stage one said it looked like he was lost and that he just didn't even know where he was supposed to be playing as he was all over the place seemingly :confused:

He aslo shows that you can have all the pace in the world but if that is ALL you have in the locker so to speak then it really isn't very helpful at all, not in the long run i think.

Harris?

He had a very poor game, yes but to be fair to him his positioning may have been suspect because he is not a wingback in any sense of the word. Nor is he a winger, this is one reason why he wanted out of Dundee. He believes if he gets a run of games up top he's a decent striker though.

Yes DH, Alex Harris, without a shadow of a doubt.

147lothian
09-04-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't think he's good enough to be a starter, I hope I get proved wrong, but I just don't think he has enough composure, good pace which can frighten but not much else for me