PDA

View Full Version : Advantage rule

InchHibby
05-04-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm not bothered either way whoever wins this game, but the ref gave advantage to Rangers which led to their first goal, but why did he not give it too Hearts in a similar position and basically denied them the equaliser?

pedroorange1875
05-04-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm not bothered either way whoever wins this game, but the ref gave advantage to Rangers which led to their first goal, but why did he not give it too Hearts in a similar position and basically denied them the equaliser?

Because the Glasgow ref association is sponsored by Tesco

TheHarpy76
05-04-2015, 01:38 PM

Your not bothered who won the game? Despite the fact that a Hearts win would have been better for us?

Anyway, on topic, because Scottish football is rotten to the core.

Hermit Crab
05-04-2015, 01:46 PM
There is no way that hearts lost that game today because the referee never gave an advantage. They lost because they did not play as well as Rangers and were too slow in moving the ball forward.

TheHarpy76
05-04-2015, 01:47 PM
There is no way that hearts lost that game today because the referee never gave an advantage. They lost because they did not play as well as Rangers and were too slow in moving the ball forward.

Maybe not but that wasn't the question.

snooky
05-04-2015, 01:48 PM

Is that a rhetorical question?
I think we all know the answer.

kev1875
05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Is it not the case that if a red card offence is committed the game must be stopped, meaning he couldn't play the advantage he did give following mccullochs elbow?

O'Rourke3
05-04-2015, 10:42 PM
It was a bizarre decision. There was no need to play advantage for Rangers there was none despite the outcome. The Hearts decision was ridiculous which he then got it a second chance in in n the McCulloch incident

Callum_62
06-04-2015, 03:54 AM
It was a bizarre decision.

Rangers have had exactly the same 'bizarre' decision twice within a few months

Celtic in cup, Hearts at Ibrox

Bizarre.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2015, 06:40 AM
It was a bizarre decision. There was no need to play advantage for Rangers there was none despite the outcome. The Hearts decision was ridiculous which he then got it a second chance in in n the McCulloch incident

Are you saying there was no advantage to Rangers when they went on and scored? Doesn't make sense to me.

I've not seen it yet so apologies if I've picked you up wrong.

BoomtownHibees
06-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Is it not the case that if a red card offence is committed the game must be stopped, meaning he couldn't play the advantage he did give following mccullochs elbow?

The advantage being talked about wasnt at McCullochs red card. He actually did play advantage at that point

O'Rourke3
06-04-2015, 08:32 AM
You have to to see it. Obviously the outcome was a goal to them but for me it was in a position where there was no obvious advantage for them to keep playing, that's all. When the one that Hearts should have got had their player one on one with the keeper

JimBHibees
06-04-2015, 08:44 AM
You have to to see it. Obviously the outcome was a goal to them but for me it was in a position where there was no obvious advantage for them to keep playing, that's all. When the one that Hearts should have got had their player one on one with the keeper

The advantage at the Rangers goal was excellent refereeing as he waited to see if there was an advantage when rangers in possession. Really poor he didn't play advantage when hearts player in.

O'Rourke3
06-04-2015, 08:50 AM
The advantage at the Rangers goal was excellent refereeing as he waited to see if there was an advantage when rangers in possession. Really poor he didn't play advantage when hearts player in.

Think you are right so can't understand when he gets an easier decision to keep playing wrong and opening up a debate. There are some refs like advantage and some don't. He couldn't make his mind up which one he was (from the bit of the game I saw)

kev1875
06-04-2015, 04:06 PM
The advantage being talked about wasnt at McCullochs red card. He actually did play advantage at that point

I know, but I always thought if a red card was going to be issued the game was stopped no matter what, which would mean he couldn't give the advantage he did, and could've given the one he didn't.

The_Horde
06-04-2015, 04:31 PM
Rangers have had exactly the same 'bizarre' decision twice within a few months

Celtic in cup, Hearts at Ibrox

Bizarre.

We'll count a 3rd bizarre decision against us for the second goal..

tamig
06-04-2015, 04:34 PM
I know, but I always thought if a red card was going to be issued the game was stopped no matter what, which would mean he couldn't give the advantage he did, and could've given the one he didn't.

Where did you hear that one? A ref can dish out any kind of card once play stops if an advantage has been played. How would it be fair to stop play in such a situation?

Hermit Crab
06-04-2015, 05:16 PM
Where did you hear that one? A ref can dish out any kind of card once play stops if an advantage has been played. How would it be fair to stop play in such a situation?

It's very rare to see a ref go back and give a red after an advantage has been played. I can't think of another time I've seen this situation unfold.

nellio
07-04-2015, 09:57 AM
It's very rare to see a ref go back and give a red after an advantage has been played. I can't think of another time I've seen this situation unfold.

I can and I was fuming about it. Not so much because of the red card but because its so inconsistent. Like you said, it just doesnt happen.

Cardiff away at Sunderland (I was in the Cardiff end) crucial premier leauge relegation clash at the end of last season. Juan Cala fouled the Sunderland lad. Ref then played advantage and the player missued the change to score. Now, usually thats it and offending player is called back and booked etc But ref went back sent off Cala AND gave them the Pen. I've NEVER seen play being called back after the advatage was given and the chance to score missed. In rugby happens every game a fair few times but never seen it in football. Went on to lose 4-0.
I wouldnt mind if there was consistency and this happened all the time but never seen it before or since. Not so much got issue with the card but why call play back and give then pen. If its in the rules why doesnt it happen every time there is an advatage and the chance is missed??

Geo_1875
07-04-2015, 11:15 AM

Normally the offence is so severe/obvious that the referee automatically blows his whistle. It would be unusual for the ref to think I must go back and send a player off next time the ball is out of play. Imagine the uproar if the offender had the opportunity to hurt an opponent while the referee played advantage.