PDA

View Full Version : Cummings Substitution

BOB MARLEYS DUG
04-04-2015, 05:02 PM
Anyone else find that a bit strange? I know he's not long back after a wee injury but surely Malonga should have been the one subbed, no?

I see most of the fans were't happy with it and rightly so.

ancient hibee
04-04-2015, 05:05 PM
He was poor-it was a tossup who came off.

Real Emerald
04-04-2015, 05:05 PM
Anyone else find that a bit strange? I know he's not long back after a wee injury but surely Malonga should have been the one subbed, no?

I see most of the fans were't happy with it and rightly so.

Malonga really should have came off as he wasn't doing enough. At least Cummings was putting a shift in but as you say maybe it was more to do with him coming back from injury.

'mon the beers
04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
I think the reaction from the crowd said it all

Brooster
04-04-2015, 05:10 PM
Incredible substitution. For the 3rd week running Malonga contributed zero, strolling around expecting things to happen. Needs to up the effort considerably.

AndyB_70
04-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Either of them could have went off. What did he do today?

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 05:37 PM

Not much which was a lot more than Malonga.

I think Malonga has naked pics of Stubbs and if he subs him they will be posted on Hibs.net!!!!

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2015, 05:39 PM
It's great to have the manager being doubted again. Easter Road missed the negativity over the last few weeks.

lucky
04-04-2015, 05:40 PM
Both were crap so it was a toss up which one went off

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2015, 05:41 PM

:agree: and maybe the one who's been injured recently is the right one.

hibeemikey21
04-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Clearly in the minority here, but I thought before Stubbs made the sub that Cummings should have gone off for El Alagui. Malonga is a better footballer and more likely to make things happen. His touch and link up play is far better. Our performance picked up significantly once the change was made, which I thought vindicated the decision.

The_Horde
04-04-2015, 05:43 PM
Clearly in the minority here, but I thought before Stubbs made the sub that Cummings should have gone off for El Alagui. Malonga is a better footballer and more likely to make things happen. His touch and link up play is far better. Our performance picked up significantly once the change was made, which I thought vindicated the decision.

Cummings is far more likely to grab a goal out of nowhere though. Which is what we needed.

bingo70
04-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Cummings is far more likely to grab a goal out of nowhere though. Which is what we needed.

Does malonga not have a better goals to game ratio? Genuine question by the way, I don't know the answer.

I don't really get the booing of the substitution, Cummings was gash the day so he can have no complaints about being subbed.

hibeemikey21
04-04-2015, 05:49 PM

In terms of goals in all comps v minutes on the park, I reckon Malonga shades it

hibee
04-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Disappointed to hear the booing when he went off, can't do anything for Malonga's or anyone else's confidence.

The guys behind me were on his back from kick off as usual. Cummings done nothing today and just coming back from injury I think Stubbs was right to take him off first.

matty_f
04-04-2015, 06:10 PM
Malonga looked better after Cummings went off. Both strikers were awful today but I'll be honest and say I was amazed that Stubbs took off Cummings and left Malonga on at the time. On reflection, neither of the starting strikers could have any complaints about being subbed.

GreenArmyyy!
04-04-2015, 06:26 PM

Tried a leg and looked half interested.

Devine
04-04-2015, 06:33 PM
How Malonga has managed as many minutes as he has in the last 3 weeks is a mystery. Unless Cummings was struggling with the injury it was a bewildering decision.

The lack of effort up top especially without the energy of Cummings is one of the main reasons we have been so poor in the last few weeks. Malongas complete lack of effort and interest is a joke it simply cannot be glossed over as 'that's what you get with him'. If he's not willing to put in a shift he shouldn't be playing end of

hibbytam
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
While I disagreed with it at the time, I thought it was a good tactical swap, as we went with 1 in the middle, and Malonga out wide. I don't think Cummings would have been able to fill that position.

And as it has been said, nothing was coming off for either of them, and neither could have complained if they were subbed.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2015, 06:46 PM
Farid done well when he came on, hopefully on from the start for the SF game, after scoring the winner next sunday :)

Swedish hibee
04-04-2015, 06:48 PM
They were both rank. It's was like the Daddy or chips question!

PercyHibs
04-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Cummings done next to nothing and deserved to be taken off. Malonga didn't have a good game either but the treatment he received from the fans around me was a massive over reaction and his confidence is going to be shot after the treatment he got today. no need!!!

JimBHibees
04-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Cummings done next to nothing and deserved to be taken off. Malonga didn't have a good game either but the treatment he received from the fans around me was a massive over reaction and his confidence is going to be shot after the treatment he got today. no need!!!

Tend to agree thought Malonga was nowhere near as bad as some were making out. Doesn't help.

matty_f
04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Tend to agree thought Malonga was nowhere near as bad as some were making out. Doesn't help.

Malonga only got the finger out after Farid came on, until that point he was a waste of a shirt.

HFC 0-7
04-04-2015, 07:48 PM
Malonga's work rate is terrible, he wasnt even going for headers when in their box. His touch was rubbish as well today. Farid looked like he could hold up the ball and lay off which would have been much better for cummings as he makes a lot more runs into the box than malonga does. Any forwards on the bench must be wondering what they need to do to get a start ahead of Malonga at the moment as he offers nothing.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Malonga's work rate is terrible, he wasnt even going for headers when in their box. His touch was rubbish as well today. Farid looked like he could hold up the ball and lay off which would have been much better for cummings as he makes a lot more runs into the box than malonga does. Any forwards on the bench must be wondering what they need to do to get a start ahead of Malonga at the moment as he offers nothing.

Think his confidence is shot to pieces. His fresh shot in front of goal has all the hallmarks of someone trying to find form and struggling

04-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Incredible substitution. For the 3rd week running Malonga contributed zero, strolling around expecting things to happen. Needs to up the effort considerably.

Jurys very much out on Malonga for me. Good with the ball at his feet but can be very lazy at times. You never see him busting a gut to get into space, he's easy for defenders to mark and he doesn't jump enough and use his height to his advantage. Since he's come back from his international duty he has been poor.

JimBHibees
04-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Malonga only got the finger out after Farid came on, until that point he was a waste of a shirt.

Thought he linked up play quite well. We did get better when Farid came on

matty_f
04-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Just to add to this thread, I think Cummings has been well off the pace in recent games - slow to react to situations and caught on his heels when the ball has broken to him, like he's not anticipated anything happening.

I'm not sure if he's been carrying an injury, but he's been nowhere near his best recently.

JimBHibees
04-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Just to add to this thread, I think Cummings has been well off the pace in recent games - slow to react to situations and caught on his heels when the ball has broken to him, like he's not anticipated anything happening.

I'm not sure if he's been carrying an injury, but he's been nowhere near his best recently.

He had a knee injury on the knee he had an ACL op on previously.

matty_f
04-04-2015, 08:08 PM

:aok: That might explain it then.

jacomo
04-04-2015, 08:19 PM

Can't agree. DM saw a lot of the ball in the first half and could have got the opener, but it was an awful miss. His touch looked clumsy most of the time, and a few misplaced passes. He was involved but just had a bad day at the office. Frustrating though as the goals from everywhere have dried up and we need him to find form again.

ancient hibee
04-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Noticed Cummings was rubbing his calves from midway through the first half-perhaps he thinks he's injured so it may be a confidence thing.Earlier in the season we wanted him to look around a bit instead of always shooting.Now he always wants to take a touch instead of belting the ball at goal.It'a a steep learning curve for him-he'll be better next season.

The_Horde
04-04-2015, 10:51 PM

Gray and Mcgeouch have been similarly off pace the last few games. It's been no surprise to find out they've been carrying knocks.

We definitely miss having the two full backs bombing on. We play so narrow that we need it!

NAE NOOKIE
04-04-2015, 11:51 PM
I thought Malonga was awful, but Cummings wasn't a lot better ... this certainly wasn't a case of fans booing because Cummings was subbed, they were booing because Malonga wasn't.

El Alagui was more effective than the both of them and simply has to start on Wednesday.

Hibs90
05-04-2015, 04:23 AM
I am Malongas biggest fan but he was awful yesterday. Cummings I thought actually done well but he's obviously still carrying a knock.

Ronniekirk
05-04-2015, 07:23 AM
I am Malongas biggest fan but he was awful yesterday. Cummings I thought actually done well but he's obviously still carrying a knock.

Stubbs has hinted that the last knock he took has knocked his confidence as he was worried it was same area as serious injury he had If still carrying it and it's showing it could still be playing on his mind and that will affect performance However D J looks a better impact player as not really made impact when got a full game and Boyle isn't a natural scorer and we don't seem able to use his pace to our advantage Farid isn't ready for 90 minutes and we need him fit for playoffs and hopefully the Semi
bit having Malonga and Cummings not scoring at same time and a midfield timid to shoot is recipie for not winning games as defense can't keep a clean sheet If it's pressure that's affecting the team the Dumbarton game will be more difficult than it should as we have beaten them easily of late so midweek game is important on that front

Just Alf
05-04-2015, 07:41 AM

:agree: and maybe the one who's been injured recently is the right one.

The above..... :agree:

Davy Mac
05-04-2015, 07:54 AM

For me a fully fit player who is bursting for a game/a different shape is a far better option than a player who is struggling no?

Both should have been hooked at the same time in my opinion to keep the pair on their toes and let them know that performance was unacceptable and you will be replaced and may not get your starting place back in the foreseeable.

jacomo
05-04-2015, 08:00 AM
I thought Malonga was awful, but Cummings wasn't a lot better ... this certainly wasn't a case of fans booing because Cummings was subbed, they were booing because Malonga wasn't.

El Alagui was more effective than the both of them and simply has to start on Wednesday.

Great to see Farid back but he still looks a little rusty to me.

CockneyRebel
05-04-2015, 10:30 AM

The performance picked up IMO because Farid came on - not because Cummings went off or Malonga stayed on. Malonga papers over the large cracks in his game when he scores goals - when he doesn't score you then see how little he contributes to the game.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-04-2015, 10:25 PM

:agree:

Scouse Hibee
05-04-2015, 10:57 PM
Great to see Farid back but he still looks a little rusty to me.

That's because he's just come back from a lengthy injury lay off, you would hardly expect to see him flying so soon surely

JimBHibees
06-04-2015, 07:53 AM
For me a fully fit player who is bursting for a game/a different shape is a far better option than a player who is struggling no?

Both should have been hooked at the same time in my opinion to keep the pair on their toes and let them know that performance was unacceptable and you will be replaced and may not get your starting place back in the foreseeable.

I think that would have been fair enough.

PercyHibs
06-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Farid is unfit and if he was to start in Wednesday there would be a chance he would get injured. Not a risk worth taking. Start the same to forwards, let's get behind them and they might gain a bit confidence and score.

Alan62
06-04-2015, 12:12 PM

Yup, I'd agree with that.

Mikey09
06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Maybe, and I'm only guessing, Stubbs had some kind of insight to how long JC could last in a first team match before running the risk of aggravating his knee injury. I dunno, he may have done something like speak to the medical staff and JC to decide on this. Crazy how unprofessional Stubbs can be.... :greengrin

dmc1875
06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
I think we might see a change with farid and dje dje up top on Wednesday

Turkish Green
06-04-2015, 01:22 PM
Let's not forget that Cummings was released by the yams at U17s due to a persistent knee injury that was slow to heel. He went to Hutchie Vale where he was playing with low confidence for the first part of his '95s U19 season. He started scoring goals for Hutchie and Hibs' EOS team which raised his confidence but he is still young and well off the finished striker.

Going by Stubbs statistics, prior to January Jason was usually subbed between 80-85 minutes but recently this has dropped to 60-70 minutes. I suspect this is due to Stubbs have alternative strikers to use as an option.

Whatever his thinking, Stubbs obviously wanted to bring on El Alagui and Cummings was the player to make way as Malonga is the better link player. However, Stubbs still has an issue with selecting the right forward partnership.