PDA

View Full Version : lack of height, strength and speed. one dimensional. too narrow

madhatter
04-04-2015, 04:25 PM
We are lacking in all these key areas. We are never outplayed but always out-jumped, out-muscled and out-paced apart from Stevenson. If they aren't already these players should be doing double and triple sessions. We've heard Allan and Malonga say that they need promotion. On evidence in quite a few games they aren't good enough.

On top of this, Stubbs said it isn't a lack of bravery. Sadly business end of session and now 3 bad losses. What is it then? We need more to our game. How do we start from goalkick? Oxley takes ages or looks to pass to Stevenson.

Build up is far too slow. 2-3 or more touches each and first touch is very very poor. Movement is poor. A serious lack of physical attributes and footballing know-how. We are being found out now. I see 352 being used shortly. We are simply too narrow.

As sad as it makes me to say this but I'm glad I haven't bought a ST for next season yet. Only club to have no idea what league they are going to play in but release ST prices still more expensive than most teams in the league above...

Whilst change has happened, I still feel they are a long way from supplying value for money hence the attendance levels. Still a shambles in my books.

California-Hibs
04-04-2015, 04:31 PM
We are lacking in all these key areas. We are never outplayed but always out-jumped, out-muscled and out-paced apart from Stevenson. If they aren't already these players should be doing double and triple sessions. We've heard Allan and Malonga say that they need promotion. On evidence in quite a few games they aren't good enough.

On top of this, Stubbs said it isn't a lack of bravery. Sadly business end of session and now 3 bad losses. What is it then? We need more to our game. How do we start from goalkick? Oxley takes ages or looks to pass to Stevenson.

Build up is far too slow. 2-3 or more touches each and first touch is very very poor. Movement is poor. A serious lack of physical attributes and footballing know-how. We are being found out now. I see 352 being used shortly. We are simply too narrow.

As sad as it makes me to say this but I'm glad I haven't bought a ST for next season yet. Only club to have no idea what league they are going to play in but release ST prices still more expensive than most teams in the league above...

Whilst change has happened, I still feel they are a long way from supplying value for money hence the attendance levels. Still a shambles in my books.

I stopped reading after this part. Sorry but that is frankly ridiculous! Allan, especially today, has been head and shoulders above the rest. He'd stroll it in the Premier league.

BoomtownHibees
04-04-2015, 04:36 PM
I stopped reading after this part. Sorry but that is frankly ridiculous! Allan, especially today, has been head and shoulders above the rest. He'd stroll it in the Premier league.

Add in the claim of us being "the only club that don't know what league we will be playing in"

cleanyman
04-04-2015, 04:36 PM
The pumpings we gave Rangers earlier in the season glossed over a lot of the ***** we've been playing.

Two wins in eleven against Queens, Raith and Falkirk is pitiful.

madhatter
04-04-2015, 04:37 PM

How is it ridiculous? He losses ball and doesn't chase back and his positional sense when we don't have ball is atrocious. He would stroll in Premier? Why is he not cruising in this league then? How many goals has he scored? He is part of a team that is likely to miss out on promotion. If we do, he is not good enough. I get fed up sometimes with these player love-ins, Allan does some skills and killer passes but apart from that he is a luxury (liability). Do I enjoy watching him, yes. Would I prefer a clear out of all our players if it meant success. Definitely. I couldn't care less who played for us if it meant success (can be 7 foot ogres that have no skill). Doing stepovers at halfway line is pointless.

madhatter
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
Add in the claim of us being "the only club that don't know what league we will be playing in"

Read the full sentence. We've got early bird ST sales and we have no idea what league we will be in. Taking snippets out like that is pointless. It isn't a claim either. Fact is our early bird ends on Tuesday, do we know what league we are in next season, no. That is a fact sadly. Not a claim.

BoomtownHibees
04-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Read the full sentence. We've got early bird ST sales and we have no idea what league we will be in. Taking snippets out like that is pointless. It isn't a claim either. Fact is our early bird ends on Tuesday, do we know what league we are in next season, no. That is a fact sadly. Not a claim.

So you want the club to wait until after the season finishes to then start selling season tickets which is likely to be almost June?

madhatter
04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
So you want the club to wait until after the season finishes to then start selling season tickets which is likely to be almost June?

No. How about not charge us Premier League prices again when we might not even be in that league?

BoomtownHibees
04-04-2015, 04:46 PM
No. How about not charge us Premier League prices again when we might not even be in that league?

So charge Championship prices, get promoted and expect the club to pay Premiership wages?

madhatter
04-04-2015, 04:51 PM
So charge Championship prices, get promoted and expect the club to pay Premiership wages?

I can flip that around, stay in Championship and charge your supporters (not customers) Premier League prices. They've done that once already, very recently from recollection. Created quite a nice ghost town. What the hell, seems like they want to take gamble on it again. If we stay down, attendances will be nearer 6-7k. Nasty spiral they could fuel if we keep failing on park.

Lago
04-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Based on current performance can't see as rush for STs

BoomtownHibees
04-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I can flip that around, stay in Championship and charge your supporters (not customers) Premier League prices. They've done that once already, very recently from recollection. Created quite a nice ghost town. What the hell, seems like they want to take gamble on it again. If we stay down, attendances will be nearer 6-7k. Nasty spiral they could fuel if we keep failing on park.

Could you see it being much higher than 6-7k if they lowered the prices? Enough of an increase to actually justify lowering them in the first place?

madhatter
04-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Also don't understand this point. This year we've been more expensive than Aberdeen and Dundee united. Both who are doing much much better than us. So, they don't charge as much but get relative success? We get overcharged and get a serving of manure.Do you think the more we pay brings better things? Sadly with football and with Hibs, I've only ever seen bottle merchants getting paid more than they should.

CMac1988
04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Agree with many of the things you've said. I don't agree that Allan isn't good enough but I do agree with the faults in his game that you pointed out.

I say it every week but I don't understand why our team is so slow. Every player has to cut back when being tracked cause they can't out run anyone. Boyle and Stevenson are the only two players in our team with the ability to run by a player, but Stevenson lacks the confidence at times to do so and Boyle has no end product...

Another issue we have is the inability to cross the ball from the by line. Rarely does it go past the first defender.

Throw ins? Same as always. Give to the winger and wait an age to take it allowing the opposition time to get back into position.

Could go on and on but if I can take a positive from today it's that Alagui came on and played with purpose, lifted the team along with Malonga who was hopeless yet again up until that point.

Lang Toun Hibs
04-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Too narrow? Really? I assume you want the wing backs playing in the upper east and west stands?!

Felt we were a bit slow at times today but the number of chances and lucky breaks/last gasp saves from their keeper and defenders shouldn't be forgotten just because we got beat. However not a great result and not the best of form to take into the play offs or the semi. I suspect I know what league we'll be in next season I'm afraid to say.

Bishop Hibee
04-04-2015, 05:05 PM
The pumpings we gave Rangers earlier in the season glossed over a lot of the ***** we've been playing.

Two wins in eleven against Queens, Raith and Falkirk is pitiful.

Interesting stat. Add on no wins v Hertz and it looks worse. Our narrow midfield and lack of pace cost us today.

Hibrandenburg
04-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Was going to write something similar, thanks, you've saved me the bother. There was only one player on the park who could definitely make it at the top level and that was the boy Fyvie, excellent first touch and never made a wrong pass all day. Hanlon looks comfortable on the ball for a defender but his positional play off the ball left him a lot of catching up to do when they won possession in the middle. Allan was probably the most talented man on the park but really looked like he couldn't be arsed for long periods. Didn't see enough of Farid on the ball to have an opinion but the boy Malonga looks like a fancy footed wonder dud.

All in all I could sum it up in saying I was back in Edinburgh to say goodbye to a close relative and the game today was only slightly less depressing.

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 05:06 PM
Too narrow? Really? I assume you want the wing backs playing in the upper east and west stands?!

Felt we were a bit slow at times today but the number of chances and lucky breaks/last gasp saves from their keeper and defenders shouldn't be forgotten just because we got beat. However not a great result and not the best of form to take into the play offs or the semi. I suspect I know what league we'll be in next season I'm afraid to say.

We do play very narrow though. We miss Gray big time. All the chances we had were at the death and to late. did we test the keeper first half or did we really test him second? Another poor display and I agree another year down here on the cards.

ancient hibee
04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
We do play very narrow though. We miss Gray big time. All the chances we had were at the death and to late. did we test the keeper first half or did we really test him second? Another poor display and I agree another year down here on the cards.

No shots on target for about 75 minutes.

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
No shots on target for about 75 minutes.

Sounds about right. Worrying stat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lang Toun Hibs
04-04-2015, 05:13 PM

Don't agree with the narrow argument I'm afraid, we're just too ponderous moving the ball about. A poor result and I know the chances all came late on but there were still enough good chances to score...doesn't really matter if it's the first or last minute, a goal's a goal surely?

We were poor for most of the game and we're definetly on a poor run at the wrong time. I agree with your last point though.

ancient hibee
04-04-2015, 05:14 PM
The crosses into the box were really terrible from Watson and Stanton.

Real Emerald
04-04-2015, 05:20 PM
The crosses into the box were really terrible from Watson and Stanton.

Totally agree but we could cross ball into the box all day and we still won't score as nobody ever attacks the ball, they all stand and wait on it falling for them, Malonga being the most to blame. It's aimless ball after aimless ball with no one busting a gut to attack it, so frustrate to watch.

GreensesArab
04-04-2015, 05:27 PM
Also don't understand this point. This year we've been more expensive than Aberdeen and Dundee united. Both who are doing much much better than us. So, they don't charge as much but get relative success? We get overcharged and get a serving of manure.Do you think the more we pay brings better things? Sadly with football and with Hibs, I've only ever seen bottle merchants getting paid more than they should.

All appropriate, valid points. Especially the last sentence. For about the last seven or eight seasons Hibs seem to capitulate under any form of pressure, be it relegation dog fights, relegation play offs, European ties, derby games or Cup Finals. Now, here we are at the crucial stage of the season and I sense they are struggling again with the pressure.

emerald green
04-04-2015, 06:17 PM
QOS basically copied The Rangers tactics the other week at ER against Hibs, even the time wasting & stuff, and Hibs hadn't a clue (or weren't good enough) regarding how to break them down.

LaMotta
04-04-2015, 06:20 PM
QOS basically copied The Rangers tactics the other week at ER against Hibs, even the time wasting & stuff, and Hibs hadn't a clue (or weren't good enough) regarding how to break them down.

:agree:

jacomo
04-04-2015, 07:40 PM

I saw him trying to make things happen on the ball today but this wasn't always the best option. He was always trying to cut inside and drive at the opposition with the ball when a quick pass outside to Lewis might have been a better option.

Famous Fiver
04-04-2015, 07:59 PM
We are too easy to play against.

Too predictable, stop and turn, lay off. Let's the other team stand and watch us play in front of them. Never try the quick counter attack. Their goal came from a counter attack feature of which was some determined running.

They pressed us high up early on. Why oh why did we not make them turn and chase?

Then too late, we pump it into their box where they had 10 men waiting.

It was like taking candy from a baby.

Closest we came to a goal in 94 minutes was a header by our goalkeeper!!! Says it all really.

Rethink needed and quick!

Ricky Bobby
04-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I thought that the last 35 minutes of the game today was pretty good. We stretched QOS and dominated, only some pretty good defending and some poor final balls from us let us down.
The big problem i have is, (and it's the same problem i have had all season) is that the players strolled around like in a training game in the first half. We are waiting for teams to get in front before starting to play. I think a lot of these guys have been reading in the press how good they are, then turning up on a Saturday and not starting games in the right way. That is the big difference between us and 'them' and that's why they have won the league. They have been going at teams from the start and putting them away.
These Hibs players need to realise that they have achieved absolutely nothing so far this season, and unless their attitude changes, that is how they will finish it.

Jim44
04-04-2015, 08:34 PM

......... and that's exactly where he'll be next year, but sadly not with Hibs.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2015, 10:28 PM
......... and that's exactly where he'll be next year, but sadly not with Hibs.

If he is it'll be on hype alone.

spike220
05-04-2015, 06:16 AM
We are too easy to play against.

Too predictable, stop and turn, lay off. Let's the other team stand and watch us play in front of them. Never try the quick counter attack. Their goal came from a counter attack feature of which was some determined running.

They pressed us high up early on. Why oh why did we not make them turn and chase?

Then too late, we pump it into their box where they had 10 men waiting.

It was like taking candy from a baby.

Closest we came to a goal in 94 minutes was a header by our goalkeeper!!! Says it all really.

Rethink needed and quick!

:agree:

rcarter1
05-04-2015, 06:50 AM
I thought that the last 35 minutes of the game today was pretty good. We stretched QOS and dominated, only some pretty good defending and some poor final balls from us let us down.
The big problem i have is, (and it's the same problem i have had all season) is that the players strolled around like in a training game in the first half. We are waiting for teams to get in front before starting to play. I think a lot of these guys have been reading in the press how good they are, then turning up on a Saturday and not starting games in the right way. That is the big difference between us and 'them' and that's why they have won the league. They have been going at teams from the start and putting them away.
These Hibs players need to realise that they have achieved absolutely nothing so far this season, and unless their attitude changes, that is how they will finish it.

I have a serious problem with this. For me this is a sacking offence. Imagine a doctor that decides to make a coffee before attending a patient in critical condition, or a Lawyer who halfway through the big defence statement, yawns and shares a joke with a paralegal. Footballers that aren't knocking their pan in (or scoring for fun) during match time are disrespecting the sport. Ive played 5-aside games where even after taking a bad knock you'd get yelled at for not doing enough for the team. 1 tired lazy run and you'd get dogs abuse for disrespecting your fellow players. This is during a kick about.

Alan must see that some of our dudes are just halfhearted. Unless Im mistaken Alan Stubbs will attempt big personnel changes over the summer. It is possible that he has decided to keep his criticism of the team/individuals under wraps, given he has to work with these guys. I really hope there have been moves behind the scenes during the year to source some professional footballers.

Alfred E Newman
05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Butcher told his players they were not good enough and that their days at Hibs were numbered and we know what happened there. Stubbs is taking the opposite approach with the same result.
We just seem destined to struggle. There is no doubt our system of playing never varies and while that might work for Barcelona it has definitely been rumbled by managers more experienced than Stubbs.
I remember a Ben Williams interview after last seasons debacle where he made the point that Butchers predictable long ball game was eventually sussed by the rest of the league and from then on it was defeats all the way. While I think we will stumble into the play offs I have doubts about the semi as Houston will have Falkirk set up to play the inevitable spoiling game.