PDA

View Full Version : I'll say it, I feel we're missing Liam Craig!

California-Hibs
04-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I've always fully supported Liam and felt the criticism he's received has been OTT. Sure, he has his fair share of poor games and deserved to be dropped for a time, but he brings certain qualities to the midfield. The calming influence of being able to put his foot on the ball, dictate the play, find a pass, a pass in which he very rarely wastes if you watch him closely.

Just my two cents worth, I feel we've missed him in the middle recently, even when the wins were rolling in. Let's also remember that he's capable of grabbing a goal too.

We have really good options in there of course, Allan, Fyfie, Mcgeough, Stanton, but I think he should at least be making an appearance off the bench to try an influence the game. He wears his heart on his sleeve!

I fear I'll be in the minority here, but hey there you go.

cleanyman
04-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Get him back in.

Missed him against The Rangers and we haven't been the same since he was dropped.

Glory Lurker
04-04-2015, 04:11 PM
I agree.

My_Wife_Camille
04-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Liam Craig is almost bad enough to slot straight into that team

PPZPOL
04-04-2015, 04:17 PM
If you play with a midfield 4 you normally have a goal threat from 3 of them, 1 will tend to sit and the others get forward and make runs in behind the opposition to either score or create spaces for others to score. We have 3 who sit, no surprise we're not getting goals. We are back to playing in front of teams - so easy to defend against as was shown again today.

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 04:18 PM
What we miss and have missed for years is wingers! Someone to stretch the opposition and open it up for our strikers to run Into the box along with couple midfielders.

PPZPOL
04-04-2015, 04:21 PM
What we miss and have missed for years is a wingers! Someone to stretch the opposition and open it up for our strikers to run Into the box along with couple midfielders.

Yip - see my post just before yours.

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Yip - see my post just before yours.

Yeah have to agree bud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergus52
04-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Apart from Robertson he's our only midfielder with good positioning when we don't have the ball

California-Hibs
04-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Apart from Robertson he's our only midfielder with good positioning when we don't have the ball

:agree:

dmc1875
04-04-2015, 04:32 PM
I found myself at the game today saying Liam Craig should be playing

I never thought I would say that but he was a big part of our run and was playing quite well

steino1875
04-04-2015, 04:37 PM
I agree missing a leader on the pitch

Hibeesmad
04-04-2015, 04:38 PM
I honestly don't think he would make a difference

blackpoolhibs
04-04-2015, 04:40 PM
What we miss and have missed for years is wingers! Someone to stretch the opposition and open it up for our strikers to run Into the box along with couple midfielders.

:agree: and a bit of bottle. :wink:

Borderhibbie76
04-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Cant believe he never brought Boyle on today for a bit of pace that we clearly needed. Stubbsy has me scratching my head these last 3 games with some of his decisions...worrying times again!!

skipster7
04-04-2015, 04:57 PM
No chance. Its not worked for him at Hibs and would bring nothing extra to what we have. Every time the ball comes near him he plays a first time pass "round the corner "only 30 feet in the air !!

Hibeesmad
04-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Cant believe he never brought Boyle on today for a bit of pace that we clearly needed. Stubbsy has me scratching my head these last 3 games with some of his decisions...worrying times again!!

Boyle should have been on around the same time as Farid, we lacked pace especially towards the end. I'd start Boyle with Farid in the Derby next week

MWHIBBIES
04-04-2015, 05:13 PM
We're missing Handling more.

AndyB_70
04-04-2015, 05:23 PM
I said the same thing today.

LaMotta
04-04-2015, 06:05 PM

Was reading the Secret Footballer recently who wrote that wingers, as many people think of them, are a dying breed.

"Inverted" wingers are now the in thing in football, moving inside rather than getting to the byeline, with full backs the ones expected to get there instead.

At the top level in England there is an ever decreasing number of goals that come from crosses - in fact crossing is often seen as a weakness in teams - an easy way to give the ball back to the opposition. No doubt this is filtering throughout football.

Stokesy's on fire
04-04-2015, 06:07 PM
I have taken pesters for being a beleiver in Liam Craig but I think he's ok I have no issue when he's participating in our team I watched him at saints before he was with us and I rated the guy highly

EastCalderHibby
04-04-2015, 06:08 PM

ditto funny subs today, why only use 2 , why so late as we really needed a win today = 2 goals
are we back to plan a or plan a as we don't seem to know what a plan b is
oh and i wish he would give forster a chance at least he will attack the bloody ball at corners /free kicks
c,mon stubbsy get them fired up ffs theirs only 5 league games left :gwa:

Thecat23
04-04-2015, 06:16 PM
Was reading the Secret Footballer recently who wrote that wingers, as many people think of them, are a dying breed.

"Inverted" wingers are now the in thing in football, moving inside rather than getting to the byeline, with full backs the ones expected to get there instead.

At the top level in England there is an ever decreasing number of goals that come from crosses - in fact crossing is often seen as a weakness in teams - an easy way to give the ball back to the opposition. No doubt this is filtering throughout football.

I read that as well. I think to many folk buy into the so called "big teams" style of play. Was the same with the 1 up front playing away from home, that then seemed to be the in thing.

I do appreciate football changes and styles move on but for me there is still plenty room and formations that a winger can fit into the side and offer the width to open up defences. In fact if ever there was a case it was today!

I do miss seeing a good winger having a run at teams as it did bring the fans to their feet and gave us something to cheer.

LaMotta
04-04-2015, 06:18 PM
I read that as well. I think to many folk buy into the so called "big teams" style of play. Was the same with the 1 up front playing away from home, that then seemed to be the in thing.

I do appreciate football changes and styles move on but for me there is still plenty room and formations that a winger can fit into the side and offer the width to open up defences. In fact if ever there was a case it was today!

I do miss seeing a good winger having a run at teams as it did bring the fans to their feet and gave us something to cheer.

can't disagree with any of that!!

mentalhibee
04-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Liam Craig wouldn't have made the slightest difference today, we lacked a creative player not a side passer. Who would he replace?

GreenArmyyy!
04-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Oh god.

hibbymick
04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Liam Craig wouldn't have made the slightest difference today, we lacked a creative player not a side passer. Who would he replace?

At best he wouldve been moaning at the ref about their keepers constant time wasting after they scored. Ive seen enough of Liam craig to know that when the going gets tough he makes no difference to the team.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2015, 07:14 PM
I think he'll start on Wednesday

Hibeewilly
04-04-2015, 07:19 PM
The midfield in the 4-0 win against The Rangers if IIRC was Robertson Allan Craig and Handling and Craig scored. OP could have a point. My 2 nephews said the same thing to me today. I would certainly give Craig a crack at the tip of the diamond if we are going to persist with that which I think we shouldnt

Hiber-nation
04-04-2015, 07:20 PM
I think he'll start on Wednesday

Wouldn't be surprised. I think there will be changes.

Doubt if he would have made any difference today, we were slow enough for the first hour.

matty_f
04-04-2015, 07:25 PM
I think Craig would have brought more to the table than Stanton did today.

bingo70
04-04-2015, 07:27 PM
We're missing Handling more.

Aye right. We already had 10 players offering no threat, we didn't need another.

Not sure if it was Craig we missed but Stanton certainly didn't offer anything. Really disappointing as he looked so good last season.

wookie70
04-04-2015, 07:29 PM
The midfield in the 4-0 win against The Rangers if IIRC was Robertson Allan Craig and Handling and Craig scored. OP could have a point. My 2 nephews said the same thing to me today. I would certainly give Craig a crack at the tip of the diamond if we are going to persist with that which I think we shouldnt

I have no issue with Craig getting another shot but I think the diamond is part of our problem particularly defensively. It works when there is great movement from the front 6 but the legs are looking weary and with the exception of Robertson, who covered every blade today, we lack movement, urgency and sharpness both with and without the ball.

CB_NO3
04-04-2015, 07:30 PM
As soon as Craig got left out the team we have been rank rotten. Our midfield is all over the place. Fyvie, Allen, Stanton and Dylan are all the same. Craig technically is not as good as these players on an individual basis but he offers a better shape to the midfield. We were more direct with Craig in the team. Now we are so square and slow.

hibbychick1
04-04-2015, 07:41 PM
I think Craig would have brought more to the table than Stanton did today.

Serious or sarcastic?

bingo70
04-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Serious or sarcastic?

Considering Stanton offered less than nothing today I'd suggest matty was being serious.

matty_f
04-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Serious or sarcastic?

Serious. I like Stanton but I thought he was very ineffective today. Craig would have brought more of a physical presence and I think he'd have shown more urgency as well.

Hannah_hfc
04-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned McGeough. Another one missed today.

hibbychick1
04-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Serious. I like Stanton but I thought he was very ineffective today. Craig would have brought more of a physical presence and I think he'd have shown more urgency as well.

Well that's interesting and a perfect example of personal perspective. Myself and those around me saw an excellent performance from Stanton today..

matty_f
04-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Well that's interesting and a perfect example of personal perspective. Myself and those around me saw an excellent performance from Stanton today..

I don't think anyone in a Hibs shirt was excellent today, far from it. I wouldn't single Stanton out as being especially bad, but no Hibs player could lay claim to being excellent today. We lost to Queen of the South, and could still be playing now without scoring.

NORTHERNHIBBY
04-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Maybe not Craig in particular, but if we are getting no change from the strikers, we need runners from mid-field. Anyone willing to run beyond the strikers would be a bonus.

keep the faith
04-04-2015, 08:20 PM

Really? I thought Stanton really blew his chance today. Opinions eh?

JimBHibees
04-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Really? I thought Stanton really blew his chance today. Opinions eh?

Agree pretty ineffectual and was majorly culpable in the goal by not tracking the left backs run.

Ricky Bobby
04-04-2015, 08:30 PM
People have short memories.
Our midfield was very one paced today. Liam Craig would only have added to that problem.
For me you either play Robertson or Craig and I thought Robertson did OK

Hibeewilly
04-04-2015, 08:35 PM
I thought its the best Stanton has played for Hibs in a long time

coco22
04-04-2015, 09:00 PM
Wasn't at the game but definitely think D McG is a big miss for us. Easy to say slot Craig back in there - he clearly divides opinion but feel it's wrong to suggest he is the missing part of the midfield. We have more than enough in our (midfield) squad to be putting most teams away but they're not doing it for whatever reason. Not solely blaming the midfield BTW as the boys up top are not taking chances either

southern hibby
05-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Said in another thread. We've shone against The Rangers with Liam in the team. Without him there The Rangers have been the better team. Yes we won at Ibrox 2-0 but that didn't mean we played as well as we have been.

My opinion is we have not played well since the 1-0 win at Alloa. We've been slow, lacklustre, call it what you will, but we've not been doing anywhere as good as we have been.

GGTTH

Hermit Crab
05-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Liam Craig is almost bad enough to slot straight into that team

Very harsh and uncalled for.

oneone73
05-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Said in another thread. We've shone against The Rangers with Liam in the team. Without him there The Rangers have been the better team. Yes we won at Ibrox 2-0 but that didn't mean we played as well as we have been.

My opinion is we have not played well since the 1-0 win at Alloa. We've been slow, lacklustre, call it what you will, but we've not been doing anywhere as good as we have been.

GGTTH

I thought we played well at Raith.

silverhibee
05-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I've always fully supported Liam and felt the criticism he's received has been OTT. Sure, he has his fair share of poor games and deserved to be dropped for a time, but he brings certain qualities to the midfield. The calming influence of being able to put his foot on the ball, dictate the play, find a pass, a pass in which he very rarely wastes if you watch him closely.

Just my two cents worth, I feel we've missed him in the middle recently, even when the wins were rolling in. Let's also remember that he's capable of grabbing a goal too.

We have really good options in there of course, Allan, Fyfie, Mcgeough, Stanton, but I think he should at least be making an appearance off the bench to try an influence the game. He wears his heart on his sleeve
I fear I'll be in the minority here, but hey there you go.

Invite him over for a holiday. :greengrin

lord bunberry
05-04-2015, 07:38 PM
When was the last time Liam Craig stepped up to the plate and put in a performance when the chips are down. He's the last player who should be brought back into the team. He can put in a decent performance when things are going well, but proved last season that he's not what we need when the going gets tough.

California-Hibs
05-04-2015, 08:48 PM
Scored a screamer against Rangers in the 4-0 rout. Also set up the first. Also has more goals and assists for us than Robertson and Stanton who have been here as long as him.

Just a few things for you to think about. However, everyone crack on in chasing another good player out of Easter Road.

eastterrace
05-04-2015, 09:10 PM
Scored a screamer against Rangers in the 4-0 rout. Also set up the first. Also has more goals and assists for us than Robertson and Stanton who have been here as long as him.

Just a few things for you to think about. However, everyone crack on in chasing another good player out of Easter Road.

do you honestly think he is a good player (you must do ) he is cack, slow as a week in jail,wish he would just leave this good player your on about.

Hermit Crab
05-04-2015, 09:17 PM
do you honestly think he is a good player (you must do ) he is cack, slow as a week in jail,wish he would just leave this good player your on about.

Complete rubbish. That is also very harsh. Would he still be cack if he plays a blinder v hearts, scores the winner and gets motm award?? I'd bring him back for the next three games and see if it makes a difference. Two defensive and two attacking midfielders instead of three attack minded players all trying to do the same thing. Craig and Robertson with either Mcgeoch,Allan or Fyvie on each side of them. I'd probably drop Allan just now.

I have criticised LC in the past but he is by no means a terrible player. There are players in the spl that would do worse than him at hibs!!

eastterrace
05-04-2015, 09:50 PM
[/B]

Complete rubbish. That is also very harsh. Would he still be cack if he plays a blinder v hearts, scores the winner and gets motm award?? I'd bring him back for the next three games and see if it makes a difference. Two defensive and two attacking midfielders instead of three attack minded players all trying to do the same thing. Craig and Robertson with either Mcgeoch,Allan or Fyvie on each side of them. I'd probably drop Allan just now.

I have criticised LC in the past but he is by no means a terrible player. There are players in the spl that would do worse than him at hibs!!

a blinder , you and me know that aint going to happen the guy is one of the reasons we are were we are as our manager keeps reminding us.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-04-2015, 10:54 PM
I think we need a fit Dylan McGeough in the team ahead of Liam Craig.

silverhibee
05-04-2015, 11:31 PM
[/B]

Nah, Craig is pants, and hid when we needed him last season, he should be no where near our starting 11.

silverhibee
05-04-2015, 11:32 PM
I think we need a fit Dylan McGeough in the team ahead of Liam Craig.

:agree:

southern hibby
06-04-2015, 12:02 AM
I thought we played well at Raith.

Yes we did play well at Raith, however we had one upfront and packed the midfield. Not a tactic that I can remember using when Liam was in the midfield so I can't compare how we would have played with him in that scenario.

GGTTH

Heedersnvolleys
06-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Surprised no-one has mentioned McGeough. Another one missed today.
Exactly he was the one we missed most!

My_Wife_Camille
06-04-2015, 02:26 PM
The only good thing about the last few weeks is that Liam Craig has been nowhere to be seen.

Hermit Crab
06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
The only good thing about the last few weeks is that Liam Craig has been nowhere to be seen.

Funny that we've lost 3 on the bounce without him! Our form has dipped since he's been out the team. There's nothing good about that. It's like you're enjoying our poor run and playing on it while digging at Liam Craig!!

GreenLake
06-04-2015, 06:05 PM
I've not seen Craig play well in our team when things are going badly. Even a turkey can fly in a hurricane.

spike220
07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
I've not seen Craig play well in our team when things are going badly. Even a turkey can fly in a hurricane.

That is just cruel. But made me laugh.

Ricky Bobby
07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Some folks might have seen things differently from me last year, but i have not got anywhere near forgiving Liam Craig for the massive part he played in us being in this division.
Not what we need in midfield and certainly not what we ne,ed in a captain. The sooner he frees up a wage the better for me.
As for his performances this season, a few half decent games and one notable game against the rangers hardly merits a place back in the side. For me it's a choice of Robertson or Craig and i would pick Robertson every day of the week.