PDA

View Full Version : Why do "We hate Dundee"?

Salisbury Hibby
01-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Very familiar with the song, but I never knew what Dundee did to attract our ire. It surely can't just be that they are unfortunate enough to rhyme with FC.

Sorry if I should know my history, but it's always puzzled me.

Keith_M
01-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Very familiar with the song, but I never knew what Dundee did to attract our ire. It surely can't just be that they are unfortunate enough to rhyme with FC.

Actually it is that simple.

As a support, we had a minor rivalry with them in the late 70s/early 80s, but no more so than we had with the Fans of most other Clubs at the time.

I do remember being part of a group of Hibbies chasing them up Easter Road after a match in the old First Division, 1980 or '81. Dunno what I'd have done if they'd stopped running and turned round for a fight............. :greengrin

lord bunberry
01-04-2015, 02:57 PM

It fits into the song. A few other teams have hate Hibees in their version.

HibbyRod
01-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Shirley we Love Dundee! ?? :greengrin

Salisbury Hibby
01-04-2015, 03:09 PM
I've always had a soft spot for Dundee. Unfortunate to be out of the top league for so long.

J-C
01-04-2015, 03:10 PM

Because it rhymes :wink:

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2015, 03:43 PM
No hatred at all. May 1986.

Fine club.

hibbybrian
01-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Personally I don't hate Dundee anything like as much as

I hate Air-drieeee :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
01-04-2015, 03:53 PM
Dundee rhymes with FC.

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Goes with the song ...its that simple. There's a lot worse clubs out there than Dundee.

Pat s 4
01-04-2015, 03:56 PM
1967 there was the battle of dens park, hibs fans stole the union jacks and burnt them, fighting all over the ground, i worked in a hibby from gilmertons house and he still has a bit of a flag as a trophy,

fat freddy
01-04-2015, 03:57 PM
It's always bugged me as I like Dundee and Dundee Utd, I've always thought the song should be 'we hate Jam Tarts and we hate Gorgie...Gorgie can easily blend in with the previous line if pronounced Gorgee. Let's make this happen

Hiber-nation
01-04-2015, 06:00 PM
We did hate them for a while in the mid-70s, Pat Stanton v Bobby Ford was always a tasty one.

SaulGoodman
01-04-2015, 06:43 PM
We hate jam tarts but we like Dundee :dunno:

Jonnyboy
01-04-2015, 06:47 PM

:agree: Spot on Brian

We hate Jam Tarts and we hate Airdreeee fits just fine :greengrin

Bostonhibby
01-04-2015, 06:56 PM
According to the thread below they are trying to sign Scott Robertson :grr:So that does it for me.

Truth is, in the 70's I was more worried about playing Dundee at Dens Park than the now defunct Glasgow rangers anywhere - Dundee were a good side and gave us a hard time. 1986 means I can never hate them.

heretoday
01-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Dundee are a great club. They always played exciting football in the 60s/70s. It's been tough for their fans coping with United's success in recent years.

Canongatehibs
01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
1967 there was the battle of dens park, hibs fans stole the union jacks and burnt them, fighting all over the ground, i worked in a hibby from gilmertons house and he still has a bit of a flag as a trophy,

That's enough for me to despise DFC.
Good on you though for destroying Butchers apron

Bronson
01-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Maybe it's in the geographical sense. Dundee is a slum, who doesn't hate it? People from Dundee hate Dundee.

Canongatehibs
01-04-2015, 08:16 PM
Maybe it's in the geographical sense. Dundee is a slum, who doesn't hate it? People from Dundee hate Dundee.

Dundee is a fine city. And Dundee United are a good team. DFC reduce the city!!

SteveHFC
01-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Always have a soft spot for the Dee's. Fantastic group of fans.

Bronson
01-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Dundee is a fine city. And Dundee United are a good team. DFC reduce the city!!

I've been to Dundee a few times and it was anything but 'fine'. Very industrial city, not even slightly picturesque.

It's a step up from Cowdenbeath though, I'll give it that.

Bill Milne
02-04-2015, 07:46 AM
I remember being on trips to New York with big George Stewart (ex-captain of Hibs) and he preferrred to sing "we hate Jamtarts and we LOVE Dundee". Not surprising as he also captained Dundee, of course!!

Keith_M
02-04-2015, 08:13 AM
It's funny how people have an issue with the line "we hate Dundee" but absolutely nobody seems to have a problem with the following line

"we will fight, wherever we may be"

Not very nice and surely untruthful for the vast majority of our support

:stirrer:

Monts
02-04-2015, 09:56 AM
It's funny how people have an issue with the line "we hate Dundee" but absolutely nobody seems to have a problem with the following line

"we will fight, wherever we may be"

Not very nice and surely untruthful for the vast majority of our support

:stirrer:
Surely that's only if you assume it as a physical fight. I like to think of it as always fighting hibs corner :greengrin

Waxy
02-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I can't hate Dundee. Sir Albert played for them.

Keith_M
02-04-2015, 10:12 AM
Surely that's only if you assume it as a physical fight. I like to think of it as always fighting hibs corner :greengrin

Possibly, possibly. :greengrin

However, I do think we should change the words of the song, to give a more positive impression of our support.

How about....

:singing:

"We are Hibernian FC,
We're nice to little kittens, and we give to charidee,
wherever we go, we're full of Joie de vivre,
cos we are the un-assuming H F C"

:singing:

snooky
02-04-2015, 10:28 AM

Try singing the song and replace "Dundee" with the likes of "Dundee United", "Kilmarnock" or "Motherwell".

Disny work, dis it. :cool2:

MB62
02-04-2015, 10:39 AM

Totally agree, 100% :agree:

Whilst everybody else sings Dundee, I always sing Airdree myself.
Always hated that lot from the 70's when one of their mob pulled out a big meat cleaver after another 'Hibees charge' at Broomfield. That and the orange band that came in to their ground during the 2nd half of one game after one of their marches. Quite funny when they had to scatter and their drums were getting booted around the terracing :greengrin

brog
02-04-2015, 11:01 AM
I remember being on trips to New York with big George Stewart (ex-captain of Hibs) and he preferrred to sing "we hate Jamtarts and we LOVE Dundee". Not surprising as he also captained Dundee, of course!!

Correct Bill, we always sang we hate Jam Tarts but we love Dundee. That works in all ways. Personally I've always thought Dundee were a classy outfit from the time they won the league with Gordon Smith & who could not like Charlie Cooke & Alan Gilzean. My fondness for them was confirmed & preceded Sir Albert by 21 years when the Dee beat the Yams 7-1 at PBS & Yams subsequently lost the league by 0.4 of a goal! I've also spent far too many nights in far too many bars in Dundee not to have a hazy liking for the place.

Hibernia&Alba
02-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Totally agree, 100% :agree:

Whilst everybody else sings Dundee, I always sing Airdree myself.
Always hated that lot from the 70's when one of their mob pulled out a big meat cleaver after another 'Hibees charge' at Broomfield. That and the orange band that came in to their ground during the 2nd half of one game after one of their marches. Quite funny when they had to scatter and their drums were getting booted around the terracing :greengrin

Airdrie seem to be the refuge of those bigots who are beyond the pale even for Rangers.

Mixu62
02-04-2015, 11:15 PM
Did we not also get Keith Wright from Dundee?

nonshinyfinish
03-04-2015, 12:43 AM
Next on the agenda: when will we put a stop to this senseless denigration of the North Bank Highbury?