PDA

View Full Version : Hearts and Save the children....

DarrenSQH
01-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Surely after their recent history thats an april fools.

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/4268

advertising it with the hastag

#perfectmatch

Beefster
01-04-2015, 11:21 AM
I love to kick Hearts as much as the next man but I can't see much to criticise in that.

Andy74
01-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Charities and children. Make your own headlines.

Bostonhibby
01-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I love to kick Hearts as much as the next man but I can't see much to criticise in that.

:agree: It's really about what they do when they get hold of the money, and where it "rests" etc before it reaches the charity - I think budgie will care more about the stigma of impropriety than the last lot who have long since taken the money and ran.

Bostonhibby
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Charities and children. Make your own headlines.

Yep, you'd think there'd be puppies and kittens in this as well. Typical yam - pray for the puppies and kittens I say.

hibbymac
01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Absolutely no difference whether its Save the Children or Wonga, ..... Hearts are being paid to display the logo on their shirts, they're not doing this for "charity"

Geo_1875
01-04-2015, 11:39 AM
A seven figure sum over three years being split between the club and the charity. Being funded by "philanthropy".

So if hertz weren't involved this philanthropist would be giving Save the Children at least another half a million quid.

Same old club, robbing charities and **** the Children.

The goalie
01-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Absolutely no difference whether its Save the Children or Wonga, ..... Hearts are being paid to display the logo on their shirts, they're not doing this for "charity"

So it is either
A Save the children are using donations to buy space on the Hearts top or
B Some loaded Hearts fan/fans cut a deal with Save the Children were they give them the 7 figure sum on the understanding it is used to buys space on Hearts tops and they will gift aid it and claim 20% back for the Charity and all the donators will right it off on their accounts as a charitable donation.

Good work dodging tax and yet still looking good :0

basehibby
01-04-2015, 11:47 AM

#perfectmatch

...well at least if they Save the Children from any pervs they decide to employ they will be doing some service to the community

CockneyRebel
01-04-2015, 11:48 AM

If they are being sponsored to promote this charity via shirt adverts why are they (and others) saying look at us - how wonderful are we? How can they hoodwink folk into believing that they have gone from thieves and embezzlers to paragons of virtue and saviours of the universe in such a short time. It is hard for me to remove my green goggles when I speak of THEM but Ms Budge portraying herself as Mother Theresa - give me a break!
You'd think Save The Children would have done a bit of research into who they were aligning themselves with.

Big_Franck
01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
The irony of their history of kiddy fiddling and stealing money from children's charities will be totally lost on them as well.

The # makes it even more cringe.

Libby Hibby
01-04-2015, 11:52 AM
April Fools Surely...a club who have employed a convicted peodofile as their Manager and have had a player on their books convicted for the same offence in recent times gain a tie up with 'save the children', you seriously could not make this up

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Thieves, cheats and pervs, this has to be a wind up

Peevemor
01-04-2015, 11:59 AM
All the credit should go to the anonymous benefactor but in saying that Anne Budge seems to be doing stuff in the correct manner.

SteveHFC
01-04-2015, 12:03 PM
:faf:

CockneyRebel
01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
All the credit should go to the anonymous benefactor but in saying that Anne Budge seems to be doing stuff in the correct manner.

Sorry but I think this is purely a publicity issue. "Look at us, look at what this club is doing, we are so full of love for the world" - full of if you ask me.

Moulin Yarns
01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Thieves, cheats and pervs, this has to be a wind up

Has nobody checked their calendars today :wink:

Thecat23
01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
After all they have done, the irony in them doing this is off the scale.

Really have no shame that lot!

marinello59
01-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Looks like a Win Win for Hearts and the charity. Football can be a power for good. I don't see anything wrong there.

EH6 Hibby
01-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Has nobody checked their calendars today :wink:

It's on the Hearts Official Site, I thought it was an April Fools till I went on their site without following the link in the OP.

CB_NO3
01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
They are a bunch of publicity slags tbh. If its not the living wage, its charity sponsors. I remember people on kickback saying once we survive liquidation we will start a fund to pay the 180 odd small local companies that got bumped. Needless to say that never happened.

Andy74
01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Evening News comments are interesting - they are removing factual comments about Hearts previously employing sex offenders and charities losing money in their administration.

They might be trying to change but those things are facts that shouldn't be forgotten.

Kato
01-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Evening News comments are interesting - they are removing factual comments about Hearts previously employing sex offenders and charities losing money in their administration.

They might be trying to change but those things are facts that shouldn't be forgotten.

#WinstonSmith

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2015, 01:31 PM
[/B]

Sorry but I think this is purely a publicity issue. "Look at us, look at what this club is doing, we are so full of love for the world" - full of if you ask me.

the grunts absolutely love publicity, any publicity, good or bad makes no difference they just love being in the media, as for budge i'l give her credit if she publicly states that she would like to compensate all the local creditors this club recently bumped, i take it no one has pointed out the irony of her club 'saving the children' when that club has employed sex offenders in recent years :rolleyes: couldn't make this up eh

Keith_M
01-04-2015, 01:48 PM
If this was an April Fools joke, it would surely class as the least funny joke ever.

This is all part of Hearts being re-branded as the kind, caring club, nice to children and little kittens. Any references to anything bad in our past will be denied and deleted.

Oh and have they asked Hibs for permission to use the Hibernian FC Crest on their official website? I think Hibs should be told and a request made that it is removed immediately.

portyhibernian
01-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Disgusting, no shame whatsoever. What's worse is the media making them look like bastions of social conscience. Let us never forget what they are.

Andy74
01-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Disgusting, no shame whatsoever. What's worse is the media making them look like bastions of social conscience. Let us never forget what they are.

The media that like to use the full name of 'convicted rapist Ched Evans' instead of just 'Ched Evans'.

Hearts should always be referred to as serial employer of convicted sex pests and stiffer of charities, small business and pensions.

cocopops1875
01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Radio forth suggesting they are the first uk club to carry a charity on their shirt, Aston Villa might be shocked to hear that

Geo_1875
01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
Radio forth suggesting they are the first uk club to carry a charity on their shirt, Aston Villa might be shocked to hear that

And every other football club that has played with a red poppy on their shirt, the symbol of Lady Haig's Poppy Factory and a registered charity.

jacomo
01-04-2015, 02:35 PM

I'm sure they'll be using the proceeds from this deal to repay some of the people they ripped off when they went under. Won't they?

ALF TUPPER
01-04-2015, 02:42 PM
Childline : 0800 1111

bingo70
01-04-2015, 02:43 PM

It's another "only unbeaten team in Britain" scenario!

Bishop Hibee
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Hibs as a club and fans as individuals do enough charity and community work without having to go on about it. Shameless FC at it again. Will Rix be at the launch of the new strip?

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2015, 04:23 PM
So who is providing the money for this, and why not just give all of it to the charity? It's good that such a worthy cause will gain the exposure on the shirts, but it seems a tawdry arrangement.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
So who is providing the money for this, and why not just give all of it to the charity? It's good that such a worthy cause will gain the exposure on the shirts, but it seems a tawdry arrangement.

Big charities spend a fortune on advertising. With an arrangement like this they get a cash donation and advertsing that reaches a sizeable audience in person, TV, internet and news print for nothing.

I've plenty to say about Hearts conduct regarding small and big businesses and charities in the past and the less said about the Rix and Thompson scenarios the better but this is a good deal for the charity as far as I can see.

greenginger
01-04-2015, 04:38 PM
Yams - Cash - Anonymous donors ! what is it about these words that get me thinking there is a scam going on somewhere .

AngusHibby
01-04-2015, 04:41 PM

#perfectmatch
Brechin city had cancer research as their shirt sponsor a couple seasons ago I think...

Andy74
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Yams - Cash - Anonymous donors ! what is it about these words that get me thinking there is a scam going on somewhere .

It is a wierd one, a group of people impressed with their family values came forward to offer them a sum of cash is what they would have you believe from this, and after much discussion this was the idea they came up with.

Sherlock Jones
01-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Brechin city had cancer research as their shirt sponsor a couple seasons ago I think...

:agree: Home strip 2010/11, home & away strips 2011/12.

NAE NOOKIE
01-04-2015, 05:21 PM

This for me too.

As far as I can see "a group of philanthropic hearts fans" with over £1,000,000 to splash has agreed to give half this money to Save the Children with the other half going directly to hearts .. the previso being that in return for a circa £500,000 donation to Save the Children the charities logo will be displayed on the hearts strip.

So basically hearts are indirectly paying Save the Children to put the logo on their strips ... that doesn't sound like philanthropy to me, it sounds like a very clever way to get hearts a huge chunk of good publicity and public goodwill for an outlay which will in one way or another be worth every penny.

Two questions then:

1) ... If there is 3 "hearts fans" out there with over a million quid to hand out with no return for it, where have they been up until now when the Yams could desperately have done with their input a year ago?

2) ... Who are these people? It would be interesting to see if any of them have a connection with Budge and / or any company she owns or has dealings with.

This stinks as far as I'm concerned ...... It looks to me as if this club, in an incredibly cynical manner, is using the good name of a fantastic charity for its own ends. I will continue to think that until the two questions above are answered.

bingo70
01-04-2015, 05:33 PM
:agree: Home strip 2010/11, home & away strips 2011/12.

So they are the only British team to be sponsored by a charity in Britain, apart from the two British clubs that have already been sponsored by a charity.

I think it would only be a morally nice story of they did it as a gesture instead of selling the rights. It's just a commercial arrangement that sounds like is a good deal for both parties but there's certainly no moral high ground for them to be taking over this.

greenginger
01-04-2015, 05:35 PM
It is a wierd one, a group of people impressed with their family values came forward to offer them a sum of cash is what they would have you believe from this, and after much discussion this was the idea they came up with.

Not just this one. The whole Foundation of Hearts business don't seem right.

From the early days when two respected founding directors Donald Ford and Jim McKie resigned and over the past few months the directors brought in from the Hearts Shareholders Association, the supporters rep, 5 in total I think have all been emptied leaving " I may not be an MP soon ", Ian Murray and a couple of side-kicks.

Loads of direct debits coming in, with little on no supervision. Does Gorgie still have a launderette ? :greengrin

PeeKay
01-04-2015, 05:51 PM
Hmm. Moral dilemma for me here. I have always chosen not to buy products advertised on the shirts of either of the OF, and Hearts.

01-04-2015, 06:01 PM
The irony of their history of kiddy fiddling and stealing money from children's charities will be totally lost on them as well.

The # makes it even more cringe.

:agree:

Makes me cringe when they try to make out they are some kind of upstanding, moral institute.

Genuinely thought this was a hibs fan doing an april fools this morning!

01-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Hibs as a club and fans as individuals do enough charity and community work without having to go on about it. Shameless FC at it again. Will Rix be at the launch of the new strip?

Yep, hibs do a hell of a lot of charity work with the community foundation etc. As usual Shameless FC have to call in the press and over publicise everything they do for some self-glory and a "oh look at how wonderful and morally upstanding we are" stunt.

fat freddy
01-04-2015, 06:30 PM
So we are being asked to believe that three Edinburgh business types are prepared to offer over £1m to hearts and in return a charity receives free advertising. If something seems too good to be true it usually isn't true. My gut feeling is Budge has put up the money but doesn't want to be seen to be pumping any more of her own cash into the club. Until the names of the philanthropists are revealed there will always be suspicion.... This reeks of yamonomics.

WillowbraeHibby
01-04-2015, 06:33 PM
So we are being asked to believe that three Edinburgh business types are prepared to offer over £1m to hearts and in return a charity receives free advertising. If something seems too good to be true it usually isn't true. My gut feeling is Budge has put up the money but doesn't want to be seen to be pumping any more of her own cash into the club. Until the names of the philanthropists are revealed there will always be suspicion.... This reeks of yamonomics.

... The first thought I had on the situation... :agree:

Billy Whizz
01-04-2015, 06:36 PM
... The first thought I had on the situation... :agree:

Maybe it's another loan to Hearts, that needs to be paid back?

WillowbraeHibby
01-04-2015, 06:41 PM

Nothing over there would surprise me Billy.... :rolleyes:

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2015, 06:41 PM

this :agree:

ancient hibee
01-04-2015, 06:42 PM

Gosh---owner puts more money into business and at the same time gives the same amount to a worthy charity.Pretty awful.

Hibee-Bongo
01-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Maybe calm down a bit folks? Charity gets some cash and publicity, nothing to get annoyed about here.

Bostonhibby
01-04-2015, 06:50 PM
So they are the only British team to be sponsored by a charity in Britain, apart from the two British clubs that have already been sponsored by a charity.

I think it would only be a morally nice story of they did it as a gesture instead of selling the rights. It's just a commercial arrangement that sounds like is a good deal for both parties but there's certainly no moral high ground for them to be taking over this.

Its the yam class way to do things - always first even if they're not.

First to employ a convicted sex offender as a manager and first to retain one as a player even after he was convicted and put on the sex offenders register. All big teams do it, don't they?

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-04-2015, 06:51 PM

When Villa allowed Acorns to be displayed on their strip they didn't take a penny. A true gesture. They didn't go on about it like this shameless lot will either. Their hashtag is shameless beyond belief.

green day
01-04-2015, 07:30 PM
The story has changed to "first Scottish club to......" which suggests the clueless PR people checked google in the end.

Amazing how this ****ty club has been gifted such a huge amount of publicity. Spfl and SFA wading in to suck up now.

Beggars belief when we remember what they did.

Pretty Boy
01-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Grace Research Fund - Coventry

Acorns - Aston Villa

Invest in Africa - Sunderland (admittedly controversial)

Brechin - Cancer Research.

I've no real problem with the deal Hearts have signed but to try and claim it as wonderfully unique is well off.

Ozyhibby
01-04-2015, 07:51 PM

Or a way of working round FFP?

Canongatehibs
01-04-2015, 08:00 PM
Its magic you know, Jam tarts and children don't go (ask Thomson)

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Grass a jambo andhttps://s3.amazonaws.com/globaljobs.org/jobs/logos/000/002/373/original/logo-save-the-children.jpg?1426595298

sure someone with photoshop skills could rustle up a wee badge :wink:

Swedish hibee
01-04-2015, 08:08 PM
Is this an April fool? Or is it real? :confused:

#FromTheCapital
01-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Had a great day winding them up about this. Beasts

MSK
01-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Is this an April fool? Or is it real? :confused:Its real ...the media darlings were sucking it up on STV today ...

Bostonhibby
01-04-2015, 08:15 PM
The story has changed to "first Scottish club to......" which suggests the clueless PR people checked google in the end.

Amazing how this ****ty club has been gifted such a huge amount of publicity. Spfl and SFA wading in to suck up now.

Beggars belief when we remember what they did.

BBC in publishing cock up too - again.

Almost weekly now - they really need to at least check what their favourites are telling them - I don't expect journalism or sports reporting anymore but just because a yam in a pub tells them what they want spun today doesn't mean the rest of the country don't want them to report facts - per their charter.

Mikey09
01-04-2015, 10:41 PM
]Hibs as a club and fans as individuals do enough charity and community work without having to go on about it.[/B] Shameless FC at it again. Will Rix be at the launch of the new strip?

This X 1,000,000!!! I think Budge is trying a wee bit too hard and it's coming across as attention seeking. Pay the small businesses you shafted as a club then some people may think of giving you some respect. Absolute thieves.... Can't believe the "well done's" and "great gesture" **** they get from some. Short ****ing memories... :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
01-04-2015, 10:57 PM

:agree: Just like they were claiming to be the only unbeaten team in the UK a few months ago, except for the team in Wales who were also unbeaten at the time.

It must be great being a Jambo. You can claim that your club's done things which no other team has ever done before and just choose to ignore the other clubs who have actually done these things before Hearts.

I'm going to start a rumour that Hibs were the first British club to enter a European competition.

Oh wait...:greengrin

macca70
01-04-2015, 11:03 PM
The charity would probably much prefer the extra £500k and not bother with the sponsorship.

Pete
02-04-2015, 01:42 AM
This X 1,000,000!!! I think Budge is trying a wee bit too hard and it's coming across as attention seeking. Pay the small businesses you shafted as a club then some people may think of giving you some respect. Absolute thieves.... Can't believe the "well done's" and "great gesture" **** they get from some. Short ****ing memories... :rolleyes:

I think she definately is trying hard and while I recognise the clubs recent actions, I don't share the cynicism regarding hers.

She knows the Romanov era has dragged the clubs name through the mud and it looks like a deliberate charm offensive. She strikes me as old school which means she was probably disgusted with the regimes wanton overspending and trivialisation of child abuse in search of parity with the old firm. All this stuff about children and charities is a way of saying that this is a new broom and we dont operate like that any more. I can't really find anything negative to say about this deal and Anne Budges actions in general since she's taken over.

However, I'll be damned if I'm going to let their supporters forget about their cheating and their inaction while their owner put profit before paedos. They will be giving the 5-1's 'till they die so in the interest of historical accuracy we need to continually remind them how much of their glorious reputation they permanently sacrificed.

steakbake
02-04-2015, 05:48 AM
There will be yam lurkers reading this and thinking "they're seething..."

Phil D. Rolls
02-04-2015, 06:39 AM
REMOVED BY ADMIN. OTT.

Silly posts like this trivialise paedophilia.

green day
02-04-2015, 06:59 AM
I can't really find anything negative to say about this deal and Anne Budges actions in general since she's taken over.

However, I'll be damned if I'm going to let their supporters forget about their cheating and their inaction while their owner put profit before paedos. They will be giving the 5-1's 'till they die so in the interest of historical accuracy we need to continually remind them how much of their glorious reputation they permanently sacrificed.

This is exactly how I feel.

And what really still gets my goat is the blatant bias shown to this club for years now, especially in BBC reporting.

If you want to know why, reference their 'shareholder dinners' - the last one was last week, and I have been told by an attendee that the guests were Alan Preston and Brian McGlaughlin - now if these guys are being wined and dined, and regaling the cardigan wearers with stories about 'The Famous' then how can they be anything other than mouthpieces for the club?

And who can forget that t!t Richard Gordon stating after our relegation that 'karma was a bitch'?

Its no surprise then that the only people complaining about the whitewashing they give to their history are us 'bitter' hibees.

Geo_1875
02-04-2015, 07:17 AM
I wonder if the financial side of this stands up to scrutiny. They were told after exiting administration that they were not allowed to accept indirect sponsorship of players salaries from outside agencies (rich fans) and that any direct contributions to the club would be liable to normal taxation rules. This may be a vehicle for getting the money into the club bypassing these rules. I'm sure it's all above board as they would never do anything like bump the taxman.

On another note, I noticed the Budgie telling reporters that "This is what the club is all about..... Community.... Children..... Charity.... blah, blah, blah....". Since when?

Leith Mo
02-04-2015, 07:29 AM
When Villa allowed Acorns to be displayed on their strip they didn't take a penny. A true gesture. They didn't go on about it like this shameless lot will either. Their hashtag is shameless beyond belief.

Motherwell have had the Breathing Space logo on the back of their shirt for afew yyears now and despite their own financial problems I don't think have ever taken a penny for it.

Kato
02-04-2015, 07:40 AM
She knows the Romanov era has dragged the clubs name through the mud and it looks like a deliberate charm offensive. She strikes me as old school which means she was probably disgusted with the regimes wanton overspending and trivialisation of child abuse in search of parity with the old firm.

If she was she remained silent at the time.

Waxy
02-04-2015, 07:53 AM
How long before we see photoshop pics of jambos past in the new shirts?

Keith_M
02-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Let's get this in perspective and see it for what it actually is:

1) Rich Hearts Fan pays 500k to save the Children = Very commendable.

2) Hearts get PAID 500k to avertise on their shirts. Not for FREE, get PAID. = Commercial decision whereby Hearts benefit financially then falsely proclaim how wonderful they are to charities.

3) Other Hearts Fans ignore the facts above and then boast about how wonderful their club is.

Carheenlea
02-04-2015, 08:37 AM
If she was she remained silent at the time.

:agree: Didn`t hear any talk from anyone connected with Hearts of being disgusted with the Romanov regime when they were winning cups and signing big money players. **** the lot of them.

Bostonhibby
02-04-2015, 08:45 AM
:agree: Just like they were claiming to be the only unbeaten team in the UK a few months ago, except for the team in Wales who were also unbeaten at the time.

It must be great being a Jambo. You can claim that your club's done things which no other team has ever done before and just choose to ignore the other clubs who have actually done these things before Hearts.

I'm going to start a rumour that Hibs were the first British club to enter a European competition.

Oh wait...:greengrin

The first man on the moon was a jambo - travelled on a non existent cup final special coach with a suit case full of blank share certificates and used bank notes. Hidden the knocked off supporters club cash and plasma tv there as well.

He's still there, but after all the promised success under Romanov was delivered its now about interplanetary domination, The big team has set it's sights on Uranus first. they'll be real disappointed when they find out its a planet.

Kato
02-04-2015, 09:35 AM
2) Hearts get PAID 500k to avertise on their shirts. Not for FREE, get PAID. = Commercial decision whereby Hearts benefit financially then falsely proclaim how wonderful they are to charities.

That's the part that the press are conveniently glossing over.

You'd think they'd be up front about it, it's not like there is some kind of tax scam going down.

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-04-2015, 09:38 AM
Nice wee email just shipped off to the STC charity with all the facts and figures attached, get involved I say,

:greengrin

southsider
02-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Pound to a penny this is a tax scam. I mean it is not as if there is no history of screwing HMRC down PBS way.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Pound to a penny this is a tax scam. I mean it is not as if there is no history of screwing HMRC down PBS way.

I'll take that on. :wink:

andyf5
02-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Hearts are beating us in PR. Living wage for their employees and now a charity on their shirts. Doesn't matter about the details to most people. Inviting BBC employees to events is good business. We need to be just as clever promoting the Hibs name.

Geo_1875
02-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Hearts are beating us in PR. Living wage for their employees and now a charity on their shirts. Doesn't matter about the details to most people. Inviting BBC employees to events is good business. We need to be just as clever promoting the Hibs name.

PR is easy when the MSM simply parrot everything Budgie says (what's new).

Unfortunately there are no "journalists" at the BBC or Scottish press with enough nous to ask the difficult questions. They simply allow them an easy ride. Over the last couple of years Hibs have been given a harder time than them and we haven't screwed any charities, or the taxman, or local businesses, or kiddies.

andyf5
02-04-2015, 01:50 PM
But if that's the environment we are working in "journalists who can't ask difficult questions" we should be courting them just the same. They didn't wake up one day and decide to put the boot into Hibs. Just saying like. I remember my son's school class getting to go to Tynecastle and he's a season ticket holder. I've never heard of a school class going to ER. We can do better and its all going in the right direction.

green day
02-04-2015, 02:10 PM
But if that's the environment we are working in "journalists who can't ask difficult questions" we should be courting them just the same. They didn't wake up one day and decide to put the boot into Hibs. Just saying like. I remember my son's school class getting to go to Tynecastle and he's a season ticket holder. I've never heard of a school class going to ER. We can do better and its all going in the right direction.

Courting them? Preston and fat lad Mcghlauglin are hearts fans. Who get to cover their own team. Especially if its a derby.

Which bit of "the game ain't straight" have I missed out?

Not having a pop, but you are right, hibs need to up the positives - starting with winning the semi.

Smartie
02-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I'm not buying it.

It is the biggest April Fools Day prank EVER and even all you ********s are in on it trying to catch me out.

I'm not so daft.

Bishop Hibee
02-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Class at a local Primary school were at ER for Show Racism the Red Card event recently. Liam Craig spoke well.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't give a monkeys about the PR battle. It's the fact that they are still miles ahead on the pitch that annoys me.
That's what is keeping fans away, not taking money from charities for sponsorship.
Once the club sorts that, I'll start worrying about PR.
I

Mikey09
02-04-2015, 03:33 PM

They are being PAID for this wonderful gesture that is being rammed down our throat... :rolleyes:

number9dream
02-04-2015, 03:34 PM
Let's get this in perspective and see it for what it actually is:

1) Rich Hearts Fan pays 500k to save the Children = Very commendable.

3) Other Hearts Fans ignore the facts above and then boast about how wonderful their club is.

This is why media can report the deal as a British first, although I'm not sure many bothered finding out the details.
Other clubs simply promoted charities without any financial gain.

Mikey09
02-04-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't give a monkeys about the PR battle. It's the fact that they are still miles ahead on the pitch that annoys me.
That's what is keeping fans away, not taking money from charities for sponsorship.
Once the club sorts that, I'll start worrying about PR.
I

Really?? They ain't miles ahead of us on the pitch. They've been more consistent against the so called poorer sides in the league granted, but to say they are miles in ahead of us on the park is a massive exaggeration in my opinion.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Really?? They ain't miles ahead of us on the pitch. They've been more consistent against the so called poorer sides in the league granted, but to say they are miles in ahead of us on the park is a massive exaggeration in my opinion.

26 points ahead. Seems like miles to me.
It's an unacceptable position for us to be in.

Mikey09
02-04-2015, 04:02 PM
26 points ahead. Seems like miles to me.
It's an unacceptable position for us to be in.

So the games we've played against them this season they've been miles ahead of us??

Ozyhibby
02-04-2015, 04:10 PM
So the games we've played against them this season they've been miles ahead of us??

No, just ahead. We play in a league though and they are doing considerably better.

EH6 Hibby
02-04-2015, 05:06 PM

My sons class has been round Easter Road twice in the space of a year. Once whilst doing a project on the local area, and once last week whilst learning about budgeting. Just because we don't shout it from the rooftops, doesn't mean these things aren't happening.

FranckSuzy
02-04-2015, 05:15 PM
I wonder what those who donate to the charity think of this? I wouldn't be happy to learn of the funds being used in this way...

Phil D. Rolls
02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
I wonder what those who donate to the charity think of this? I wouldn't be happy to learn of the funds being used in this way...

I suppose it would depend on whether it's seen as a value for money investment in advertising. Sponsoring a football team is a pretty cheap way to get your name on the telly.

Future17
02-04-2015, 05:28 PM

There are many things about this deal that trouble me, but I don't think the charity have spent any money on this arrangement; they have only profited...or have I missed something?

Ozyhibby
02-04-2015, 05:38 PM
My understanding of the deal is that a rich fan who is an associate on Budge wants to put money into Hearts but doesn't fancy paying the tax (he is a yam after all) so he funnels it through save the Children and gets gift aid tax relief. Save the Children get free advertising, so they're happy.
Hearts role in this is just to cash the cheque, print the strips and kid on its a charitable act from them.

FranckSuzy
02-04-2015, 05:39 PM
There are many things about this deal that trouble me, but I don't think the charity have spent any money on this arrangement; they have only profited...or have I missed something?

Was going by this "The donation brings investment equivalent to that enjoyed by the country’s top Scottish Premiership clubs and will provide critical financial support for the continuation of the club's impressive revival" :aok:

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 05:42 PM
My understanding of the deal is that a rich fan who is an associate on Budge wants to put money into Hearts but doesn't fancy paying the tax (he is a yam after all) so he funnels it through save the Children and gets gift aid tax relief. Save the Children get free advertising, so they're happy.
Hearts role in this is just to cash the cheque, print the strips and kid on its a charitable act from them.

If a business is putting 250k into a charity, it will be a company. Companies don't get Gift Aid.

Swedish hibee
02-04-2015, 07:13 PM

First time I've ever agreed with you!

ancient hibee
02-04-2015, 07:24 PM
If a business is putting 250k into a charity, it will be a company. Companies don't get Gift Aid.

Presumably individual(s) will have ante'd up £800K to the charity who will gift aid it and get another £200K from Mr.Taxman.If the benefactors are 40% tax payers they will then get £200K back from Mr.Taxman.So we will have contributed a fair old slice of the largesse to Hearts.Seems only fair in view of their spotless record with the Revenue.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 07:28 PM

You won't be surprised to hear that I don't agree with you :)

Beefster
02-04-2015, 07:54 PM

In what way? Unless I've misunderstood the arrangement, Save The Children are getting money and not paying anything.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Presumably individual(s) will have ante'd up £800K to the charity who will gift aid it and get another £200K from Mr.Taxman.If the benefactors are 40% tax payers they will then get £200K back from Mr.Taxman.So we will have contributed a fair old slice of the largesse to Hearts.Seems only fair in view of their spotless record with the Revenue.

Are STC actually paying anything?

ancient hibee
02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I would imagine the payment would be routed through the charity to attract the tax relief which wouldn't be available if the "benefactors"paid the Hearts.Through the charity the benefactors will pay £600K(eventually)to generate £1M.(I think).The charity will then pass a payment to Hearts.

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I would imagine the payment would be routed through the charity to attract the tax relief which wouldn't be available if the "benefactors"paid the Hearts.Through the charity the benefactors will pay £600K(eventually)to generate £1M.(I think).The charity will then pass a payment to Hearts.

Is the payment coming from an individual, an unincorporated business or a company?

Pete
02-04-2015, 08:31 PM
At their next home game they're apparently going to run out to "heal the world" by Michael Jackson.

ancient hibee
02-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Is the payment coming from an individual, an unincorporated business or a company?

Individual(s) allegedly.:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
02-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Individual(s) allegedly.:greengrin

And I bet it isn't Ronnie Corbett and Stephen Hendry.

macca70
02-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Rich hearts fan donates £800k to Save the Children Charity
Charity then claim 20% Gift Aid from Taxman so Save the Children charity now sitting on £1 million
Save the Children then keep £500k as a donation
Save the Children pay the other £500k to Hearts for shirt sponsorship deal
Original rich hearts fan then reclaims 20% of his £800k through Self Assessment as he is a 40% High Rate Tax payer. He then receives £200k back from Taxman.

So in the end:
Rich Hearts fan has actually only donated £600k
Taxman has paid £400k
Hearts get £500k plus good publicity for being associated with a charity
Save the Children get £500k and free advert on Hearts shirts for facilitating the deal.

It's a carve up, Hearts shafting the Tax man again!!

ancient hibee
02-04-2015, 08:43 PM
Charity the claim 20% Gift Aid from Taxman so Save the Children charity now sitting on £1 million
Original rich hearts fan then reclaims 20% of his £800k through Self Assessment as he is a 40% High Rate Tax payer. He then receives £200k back from Taxman.

So in the end:
Taxman has paid £400k
Save the Children get £500k and free advert on Hearts shirts for facilitating the deal.

See post 103:greengrin

macca70
02-04-2015, 08:43 PM

3 individual Philanprolists apparently

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Charity then claim 20% Gift Aid from Taxman so Save the Children charity now sitting on £1 million

So in the end:
Taxman has paid £400k

....only if you equate "shafting" with "using the law to one's advantage." There's a world of difference between the scenario you suggest and the way HMFC dealt with their responsibilties under Romanov.

ancient hibee
02-04-2015, 08:54 PM
....only if you equate "shafting" with "using the law to one's advantage." There's a world of difference between the scenario you suggest and the way HMFC dealt with their responsibilties under Romanov.

However it is quite ironic that the taxpayer may well be contributing to Hearts good fortune.

Eyrie
02-04-2015, 10:00 PM
Couple of thoughts - isn't the top rate of tax 45% which means an even bigger cost to the tax payer?

And would tax relief be allowed when the clear aim of the transaction is to give money to a commercial enterprise?

CropleyWasGod
02-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Couple of thoughts - isn't the top rate of tax 45% which means an even bigger cost to the tax payer?

And would tax relief be allowed when the clear aim of the transaction is to give money to a commercial enterprise?

IF the scenario is as suggested (and, thus far, no-one seems to know), there would be no problem in getting tax relief.

However, OSCR might be interested in the substance of the transaction.

And, yes, you're right about the 45% rate.

FranckSuzy
02-04-2015, 10:26 PM

In what way? Unless I've misunderstood the arrangement, Save The Children are getting money and not paying anything.

Apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick :greengrin

Cabbage East
02-04-2015, 10:51 PM
Like buying your mate a pint after burning his house down for a laugh.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2015, 11:48 PM

I'd keep it to yourself mate. Being right all the time has made me well unpopular on here. [emoji6]

Mikey09
02-04-2015, 11:48 PM
No, just ahead. We play in a league though and they are doing considerably better.

Yeah I know we play in a league.... And as I posted they have been more consistent against so called smaller teams. My point was on the pitch where the football is played they ain't MILES ahead of us. To compare the 2 teams I would suggest we are a better footballing side. However I can't deny they have found a winning formula that has worked in this division. I would say teams find it slightly easier to defend against us as opposed to the physical nature of hearts forwards. Makes you wonder what if Big Farid had been available all season.....

macca70
03-04-2015, 05:19 AM

Higher Rate tax is 40% for earnings of £31,866 to £150,000

Additional rate tax is 45% for anything over £150,000

andyf5
03-04-2015, 05:28 AM
Class at a local Primary school were at ER for Show Racism the Red Card event recently. Liam Craig spoke well.
Good to hear we are doing something. The recent half time entertainment with local kids teams is also a good positive step.

marinello59
03-04-2015, 05:30 AM

The charity has gained extra income and advertising at no cost to existing donors. Save the Children will be delighted with this deal with good reason. The bottom line is that they will be able to support more projects. That to me is more important than contriving to spin things in as negative a light as possible in order to score points over a rival.

Peevemor
03-04-2015, 05:38 AM
The charity has gained extra income and advertising at no cost to existing donors. Save the Children will be delighted with this deal with good reason. The bottom line is that they will be able to support more projects. That to me is more important than contriving to spin things in as negative a light as possible in order to score points over a rival.

If it was Hibs we'd all be raving about how great it was and how the club is unrecognisable compared to a year ago... :blah::blah::blah:

For what it's worth, if an individual is behind this then it's costing them a load of dosh regardless of any tax relief.

CropleyWasGod
03-04-2015, 05:57 AM

If it was Hibs we'd all be raving about how great it was and how the club is unrecognisable compared to a year ago... :blah::blah::blah:

For what it's worth, if an individual is behind this then it's costing them a load of dosh regardless of any tax relief.
Yep.

There's a lot of stuff written about tax relief. However, it's a fairly basic principle that, in order to get it, you have to spend money in the first place.

Hiber-nation
03-04-2015, 05:59 AM

Sense at last.

bingo70
03-04-2015, 06:19 AM

I don't think many are saying it's a bad deal for anyone. I think people just object to hearts taking the moral high ground when it's purely a commercial arrangement that they are being paid handsomely for.

Peevemor
03-04-2015, 06:27 AM
I don't think many are saying it's a bad deal for anyone. I think people just object to hearts taking the moral high ground when it's purely a commercial arrangement that they are being paid handsomely for.

Are they taking the moral high ground? Any team that announces a new shirt sponsorship bums it up to make it sound great for all parties, including the local community, etc. Hearts are no different.

We're happy that there have been changes on a lot of levels at Easter Road - are Hearts not allowed to change too?

bingo70
03-04-2015, 06:35 AM
Are they taking the moral high ground? Any team that announces a new shirt sponsorship bums it up to make it sound great for all parties, including the local community, etc. Hearts are no different.

We're happy that there have been changes on a lot of levels at Easter Road - are Hearts not allowed to change too?

Yes, but I'll always still think they're ********s.

I don't know if it's them that's taking the moral high ground or of its the media latching on to the headlines of the story but either way they're getting a lot of credit in the media for something they don't deserve, they've not done anything good here, just accepted a lot of money.

heretoday
03-04-2015, 07:05 AM

I don't know if it's them that's taking the moral high ground or of its the media latching on to the headlines of the story but either way they're getting a lot of credit in the media for something they don't deserve, they've not done anything good here, just accepted a lot of money.

That's an 'uncharitable' point of view.

Future17
03-04-2015, 07:22 AM

This thread has taken an odd turn with insinuations of tax manipulation and the like, but the basic principle is that Save the Children have more money than they did before this deal and that has to be a good thing.

However, there are secondary considerations which I wonder whether they gave much thought to. There's no escaping that Hearts have a terrible recent record when it comes to child sex offenders and that has the potential to negatively affect the charity's image as a result of their partnership. That's not contrived negative spin; it's fact.

I'd like to think Save the Children have considered this, but considering they recently gave Tony Blair a humanitarian award, I wonder if good judgement is really their strong point.

Phil D. Rolls
03-04-2015, 07:37 AM

This thread has taken an odd turn with insinuations of tax manipulation and the like, but the basic principle is that Save the Children have more money than they did before this deal and that has to be a good thing.

However, there are secondary considerations which I wonder whether they gave much thought to. There's no escaping that Hearts have a terrible recent record when it comes to child sex offenders and that has the potential to negatively affect the charity's image as a result of their partnership. That's not contrived negative spin; it's fact.

I'd like to think Save the Children have considered this, but considering they recently gave Tony Blair a humanitarian award, I wonder if good judgement is really their strong point.

This thread is getting petty and nasty and is actually pretty embarassing. Your post is by no means the worst, but I think sums up the stupid direction people are starting to go in.

1) A terrible record when it comes to employing sex offenders - compared to who?
2) The only place it's effected the charity's image is here.
3) Potential isn't fact it's a possibility. There is also the potential that the charity gets a massive spin off and that the advertising brings in more money.
4) Do you think Save the Children won't have thought about this.

You hate Hearts so much that you are prepared to start bringing the name of a charity down.

Phil D. Rolls
03-04-2015, 07:38 AM

I think there's a massive queue for the moral high ground - they've got a lot of bitter Hobos to get past.

FranckSuzy
03-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Apologies, I got the wrong end of the stick :greengrin

Please see above :embarrass :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
03-04-2015, 04:30 PM
There is no doubt that Save the Children are half a million quid or so better off as a result of this deal ... whatever the motivation behind it that cant be a bad thing.

The on line Daily Record article has a poll attached to it: "Do you think Hearts are now the best run club in Scotland?" as of about half an hour ago 'Yes' was at 70 odd percent.

I don't know about anybody else but no matter how bitter it sounds I find this well planned and cynical Yam charm offensive getting more and more on my tits with each passing day and the more the media kiss their backside the more annoyed I bloody get. I'm seriously beginning to think the theory of Karma is a load of pish.

Manky Gorgie ****res can GTF and the sooner their asbestos ridden craphole falls down around their ears the better it will suit me !!!