PDA

View Full Version : How does one go about......?

O'Rourke3
31-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Can one of the Net Historians point me to a thread somewhere - or post some info as a sticky?

I’ve read with interest the Club v’s St Pats thread and it raised a few questions for me as a long standing supporter.

I’ve never been affiliated to a supporters club or branch. Living in Porty as a boy, living in town as a young adult or moving to West Lothian I tended to make my own way to games out of necessity. The Hibs Club – was always a bit mysterious and almost mythical. like the school dentist - all sorts of rumours abounded on the challenges to attaining membership, you know the sort of thing -all nonsense usually spouted by the ill informed or by folks who don't like to share.....

So, to use the club one can apply direct or do you have to be a member of a branch associated with the HSA and only associated with the Supporters Association? Could I form my own branch, not associate and still get membership?

For the record, I am not intending to do that, but since it’s not obvious to me as a long time supporter, there may be younger fans interested and this sort of information helps.

Slightly hijacking my own thread – as a new shareholder presumably I am able to apply to join the Shareholders Association – or am I? Is this another Junta(I kid!) that exists for the previous shareholders before all the recent junk bonds went to flood the market?

Thanks in advance
:flag::flag::flag:

Hibby Bairn
31-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Ditto.

Have watched Hibs for 35 years and never been to Hibs Club. Always felt it was a bit "exclusive" and members only type.

Travelled to games in car with friends and on buses as a non-member. Ran a bus briefly in 80s but was never a member of HSA or Hibs Club.

Now take my boys who have also never been to the Hibs Club.

lucky
31-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Hibs.net has/had an affiliation to HSA so it's easy to join. The HSA club is a social club that Hibs supporters use but it is not exclusively Hibs fans that are members. The supporters club gets a lot of bad press on here but it's actually not cliquey or exclusive. It's just somewhere to go before games for a couple of pints and you can take kids in. The club is excellent value for money, I pay £14 per year and get £10 back to spend behind the bar. There can't be anywhere that has cheaper membership fees than the club.

31-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Non members can pay a quid at the door and get in. I've been doing it for years.

Hermit Crab
31-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Non members can pay a quid at the door and get in. I've been doing it for years.

You not just as well joining then?

HibbyRod
31-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Can one of the Net Historians point me to a thread somewhere - or post some info as a sticky?

I’ve read with interest the Club v’s St Pats thread and it raised a few questions for me as a long standing supporter.

I’ve never been affiliated to a supporters club or branch. Living in Porty as a boy, living in town as a young adult or moving to West Lothian I tended to make my own way to games out of necessity. The Hibs Club – was always a bit mysterious and almost mythical. like the school dentist - all sorts of rumours abounded on the challenges to attaining membership, you know the sort of thing -all nonsense usually spouted by the ill informed or by folks who don't like to share.....

So, to use the club one can apply direct or do you have to be a member of a branch associated with the HSA and only associated with the Supporters Association? Could I form my own branch, not associate and still get membership?

For the record, I am not intending to do that, but since it’s not obvious to me as a long time supporter, there may be younger fans interested and this sort of information helps.

Slightly hijacking my own thread – as a new shareholder presumably I am able to apply to join the Shareholders Association – or am I? Is this another Junta(I kid!) that exists for the previous shareholders before all the recent junk bonds went to flood the market?

Thanks in advance
:flag::flag::flag:

Hi O'Rourke3,

The Hibernian Shareholders Association has been dormant for quite a few years. However, it is is in the throes of being resurrected again and, hopefully, will be up and running again for the start of next season or so.

You will be able to join along with any other shareholders who wish to do so.

More information will be forthcoming in due course. ..... Watch this space. :greengrin

31-03-2015, 10:36 AM
You not just as well joining then?

Don't go there before every home game so not that fussed.

Smartie
31-03-2015, 10:45 AM
I have to say that I'm pleased someone else has asked and that there are other people who are out there who know as little about this organisation as I do.

I've lived outside of Edinburgh for much of my life to but in spite of that I've gone to 80% of matches for 20 years+.

If you are arranging to meet another Hibby they will often just say things like "I'll just see you in the Hibs club before the game" and you feel a bit daft and in some ways excluded never to have set foot in the place.

I have actually set foot in the place - I went in to see the Malmo away leg a couple of years ago as they were one of the only places showing it (really bizarre atmosphere as the game was broadcast in silence), paid on the door but didn't really understand what was going on.

Thanks to those who have answered the questions.

Billy Whizz
31-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Never been in it either, can't be a real supporter

lyonhibs
31-03-2015, 11:09 AM

This. Been done many times. I think sometimes on bigger games to avoid opposition supporters getting in, you need to be signed in. In saying that, the upstairs bar was taken/given over to Dons fans a few years ago with no problems at all.

Peevemor
31-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Been to a couple of functions there, but never went on a matchday.

H18S NX
31-03-2015, 11:12 AM
Hibs.net has/had an affiliation to HSA so it's easy to join. The HSA club is a social club that Hibs supporters use but it is not exclusively Hibs fans that are members. The supporters club gets a lot of bad press on here but it's actually not cliquey or exclusive. It's just somewhere to go before games for a couple of pints and you can take kids in. The club is excellent value for money, I pay £14 per year and get £10 back to spend behind the bar. There can't be anywhere that has cheaper membership fees than the club....Lucky you are indeed LUCKY,i pay £20 per year and get £10 back,i take it you are a pensioner?

Purple & Green
31-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi O'Rourke3,

The Hibernian Shareholders Association has been dormant for quite a few years. However, it is is in the throes of being resurrected again and, hopefully, will be up and running again for the start of next season or so.

More information will be forthcoming in due course. ..... Watch this space. :greengrin

Anything that could potentially involve Simon Pia & Brian Monteith sounds like a scream. Look forward to being part of that.

lucky
31-03-2015, 11:50 AM
...Lucky you are indeed LUCKY,i pay £20 per year and get £10 back,i take it you are a pensioner?

Out of town member, member of the Southern branch at present. Don't know if branches pay different amounts

southsider
31-03-2015, 01:05 PM
First went in 1976 and have been going ever since. Sunday afternoon's in the old upstairs lounge were a hoot. A real drinking den back in the day. Mostly match days now but good place for a function which can be booked by any member free. Well stocked bar, good service. Enjoy the place. You an put £10 on your card and the club adds 10%. Big screens for the TV games. Pick a branch and become a member. Its easy.

hibeeron
31-03-2015, 01:05 PM
I've still got my Membership Card for the London Branch in 1971,with a letter from W.G. O'Donnell who was secretary at that time and when that never really took off I joined the Glasgow Branch in 1972
Moved to Liverpool in 1972 and just did my own thing after that. Still get into Sunnyside now if I want.For the last 30 years I've lived in Formby, a village North of Liverpool where a certain Alan Stubbs also lives.
Never got a lift though

HibbyRod
31-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Anything that could potentially involve Simon Pia & Brian Monteith sounds like a scream. Look forward to being part of that.

Ah, .... see what you did there.

The situation is that if someone is a shareholder, then they can subscribe to join the Shareholders' Association.

At least this way, if the HSA is in fact reformed, no individuals will be able to purport to be voicing that they are representing the "Shareholders" as some people recently tried to do so. :aok:

Hope that helps. :greengrin

O'Rourke3
31-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi O'Rourke3,

:aok:

O'Rourke3
31-03-2015, 01:39 PM

:faf:

Yuillsy
31-03-2015, 01:48 PM
I joined about 4 years ago. Asked about membership and got put in touch with someone from the St Giles branch. They sorted me out some forms and that was it. £20 a year and £10 back to spend in the club. Well worth it in my opinion.

Stantons Angel
31-03-2015, 05:13 PM
If you are interested in joining the HSA the branches available for membership are usually shown on the football club website on the supporters section.

If you contact one of the branch secretaries they will keep you right on application forms and costs etc.

This is a social club for Hibs supporters its not elitist or a private members club just somewhere Hibs supporters can meet on a match day and enjoy a few pints with their pals.

Its "no ones" club but belongs to the members and is not run by one single person but a council of Trustees who are elected by the members to look after the assets of the membership for all members.

Ive had some great times with some really good people there over many years.

If you are interested you should give it a go or even call on match day and one of the respresentatives on duty will advise on being a day visitor.

I hope this is helpful.

Purple & Green
31-03-2015, 06:04 PM
I would be interested in joining that.

I hope other shareholders not just those mentioned want to join up too.

Ah, .... see what you did there.

The situation is that if someone is a shareholder, then they can subscribe to join the Shareholders' Association.

At least this way, if the HSA is in fact reformed, no individuals will be able to purport to be voicing that they are representing the "Shareholders" as some people recently tried to do so. :aok:

Hope that helps. :greengrin

Carheenlea
31-03-2015, 06:34 PM
I`m an out of town member and the club is my regular pre-match haunt for a pint. As said already, it is great value and a place you can take children and feel they are in a safe environment. It is anything but exclusive or cliquey when I visit on matchdays and have enjoyed going there for years.
One thing that has changed this year though has been the new drink driving threshold, which means it is probably too risky to have a pint before the game and be safe to drive after, unlike before the new legislation, so for out of town members driving there is bound to be a bit of a downturn in sales over the season now.

iwasthere1972
31-03-2015, 06:59 PM
The last time I was in the Hibs Club, Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree was number 1 in the charts. Oh and I must have been under 18 at the time.

Eyrie
31-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Only been in the Hibs Club once, and that was for a Fish gig (Return to Childhood).

Saturday Boy
31-03-2015, 07:41 PM
The last time I was in the Hibs Club, Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree was number 1 in the charts. Oh and I must have been under 18 at the time.

I always wondered where you were in 1972. Now we all know. :aok: