PDA

View Full Version : Weather warning for tomorrow afternoon

oconnors_strip
27-03-2015, 08:17 PM
There is a weather warning for tomorrow afternoon and the forth road bridge might be closed to all vehicles except cars, so be prepared for diversions and maybe some queues on the a90/m90

Albanian Hibs
27-03-2015, 08:19 PM
What about us that are heading over by train?

Mr White
27-03-2015, 08:24 PM

You'll get a nice view of the new bridge towers, unobstructed by any pesky high sided vehicles on the road bridge :greengrin

Pete
27-03-2015, 08:40 PM

The bridge will be closed to double decker trains.

monktonharp
27-03-2015, 08:57 PM
don't know why they did not do a tunnel ! would be no issues with wind,snaw, etc. seriously though, 35 years ago, miners from Kinneil (bo'ness) linked up under the forth with miners from Valleyfield pit.(Fife) we have the technology. they can go from Dover tae Calais, why not in spitting distance under the Firth o' Forth?:confused:

portycabbage
27-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Looks like no buses allowed over the bridge tomorrow afternoon-

http://www.forthroadbridge.org/news/very-strong-winds-forecast-expect-disruption

oconnors_strip
27-03-2015, 09:11 PM

Unless the winds reach 100mph then you are fine

silverhibee
27-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Delays at Kincardine Bridge due to road works as well.

Sir David Gray
27-03-2015, 09:39 PM

That's very true, thanks for the reminder! :aok:

Allant1981
28-03-2015, 07:49 AM

The roadworks have finished, unless they are only doing them at the weekend?

Keith_M
28-03-2015, 08:05 AM
What's the conditions like for anybody going over by fishing boat?

portycabbage
28-03-2015, 08:10 AM

Windy.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-03-2015, 08:11 AM

Personally I'll be taking my pedalo so hope it's not too choppy ;)

Kavinho
28-03-2015, 08:42 AM
If only they'd carried through with the hovercraft ferry crossing from leith to Kirkcaldy that was trialled a few years back..

that'd be some commute to the game....
Guaranteed to arrive at the ground with your legs feeling like you've had 10 pints

Keith_M
28-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Personally I'll be taking my pedalo so hope it's not too choppy ;)

We'll get our Fishing Net ready, in case you get into trouble.

:wink:

silverhibee
28-03-2015, 08:58 AM
The roadworks have finished, unless they are only doing them at the weekend?

Only at weekends now. We had to use the new bridge last weekend.

Mikey
28-03-2015, 09:04 AM
Looks like no buses allowed over the bridge tomorrow afternoon-

http://www.forthroadbridge.org/news/very-strong-winds-forecast-expect-disruption

Looks like buses are still getting over at the moment. Hopefully they'll at least be able to get there!

Alfred E Newman
28-03-2015, 09:26 AM

Fine but take a plastic bag!

Allant1981
28-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Only at weekends now. We had to use the new bridge last weekend.

Shows how much i pay attention, i only drive the other bridge every day!!

scoopyboy
28-03-2015, 10:27 AM
If I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't even have considered the Forth Road being closed to high sided vehicles.

Beautiful morning in Musselburgh.

Allant1981
28-03-2015, 10:34 AM
No work on kincardine bridge, im on it just now

Just_Jimmy
28-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Wind is pretty wild in Fife. If the rain comes on in Kirkcaldy it'll be another Cowden.

The_Exile
28-03-2015, 10:43 AM
It's a fine spring morning in Musselburgh, just about to leave for the kingdom and torrential conditions it would seem!

oconnors_strip
28-03-2015, 10:43 AM
From forth bridge Twitter

@forthroadbridge: High winds - Bridge closed to high sided vehicles, cars with trailers, caravans, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestri...

Beefster
28-03-2015, 10:47 AM
don't know why they did not do a tunnel ! would be no issues with wind,snaw, etc. seriously though, 35 years ago, miners from Kinneil (bo'ness) linked up under the forth with miners from Valleyfield pit.(Fife) we have the technology. they can go from Dover tae Calais, why not in spitting distance under the Firth o' Forth?:confused:

IIRC it was claimed, by the SNP, that a tunnel would have cost many times more than a bridge.

Hermit Crab
28-03-2015, 10:54 AM
From forth bridge Twitter

@forthroadbridge: High winds - Bridge closed to high sided vehicles, cars with trailers, caravans, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestri...

Does that hat include single decker busses? :confused:

Golden Bear
28-03-2015, 10:57 AM
High winds effect the quality of the game more than any other factor. (excepting crap players of course.) It often allows teams with players of less ability to compete with the opposition - so lets hope we can give Raith a game today. :offski:

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
28-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Bridge website confirms gusts must exceed 80 mph before cars are banned.

http://www.forthroadbridge.org/weather

oconnors_strip
28-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Does that hat include single decker busses? :confused:

Don't know, tweeted them to ask but no reply yet

Jack Hackett
28-03-2015, 11:14 AM
:rolleyes:

So much for "I would walk 500 miles" :singing:

...on a more informative note, rain will clear before the game kicks off but it will remain windy. Keep smiling, spring can't be far away

Phil D. Rolls
28-03-2015, 11:20 AM

There is a trench called Millgans Deep which runs under the bridges. To create a tunnel at that location would have meant it would have to start at kinross and the barnton.

Phil D. Rolls
28-03-2015, 11:22 AM
IIRC it was claimed, by the SNP, that a tunnel would have cost many times more than a bridge.

They were right.

Hermit Crab
28-03-2015, 11:51 AM
There is a trench called Millgans Deep which runs under the bridges. To create a tunnel at that location would have meant it would have to start at kinross and the barnton.

I thought the deepest part of the forth was just off aberdour at 23 metres?? :confused:

Alfred E Newman
28-03-2015, 12:08 PM
High winds effect the quality of the game more than any other factor. (excepting crap players of course.) It often allows teams with players of less ability to compete with the opposition - so lets hope we can give Raith a game today. :offski:

Summer Fitba ? :dunno:

matty_f
28-03-2015, 12:27 PM
:rolleyes:

So much for "I would walk 500 miles" :singing:

...on a more informative note, rain will clear before the game kicks off but it will remain windy. Keep smiling, spring can't be far away

Never really got that song, to be honest. Imagine you're the wifey, you're sat watching Eastenders or TOWIE or some other pish, having a cup of tea and a neb at Facebook, you hear a knock at the door, you open it up and some gadgie collapses in a heap having walked to your house from another country.

There's a perfectly decent air, rail, and road network that I'd be expecting them to have used long before considering walking that sort of distance.

I'm sure some folk would be touched by the effort put in, but most would probably be thinking "That's a bit on the radge side for me, likes."

Also, if they're too tight to pay a bus fare, there's nae chance of getting to the pictures or the bowling or that. Unlikely to even get a Nandos.

I'm guessing the guy that walks a thousand miles to fall down at someone's door isnae getting his Nat King Cole that night. Or any night soon.
You'd find that a bit creepy, no?

Jack Hackett
28-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Never really got that song, to be honest. Imagine you're the wifey, you're sat watching Eastenders or TOWIE or some other pish, having a cup of tea and a neb at Facebook, you hear a knock at the door, you open it up and some gadgie collapses in a heap having walked to your house from another country.

There's a perfectly decent air, rail, and road network that I'd be expecting them to have used long before considering walking that sort of distance.

I'm sure some folk would be touched by the effort put in, but most would probably be thinking "That's a bit on the radge side for me, likes."

Also, if they're too tight to pay a bus fare, there's nae chance of getting to the pictures or the bowling or that. Unlikely to even get a Nandos.

I'm guessing the guy that walks a thousand miles to fall down at someone's door isnae getting his Nat King Cole that night. Or any night soon.
You'd find that a bit creepy, no?

TBH, I'm with you on this Matty. Most song lyrics are just pish poetry tarted up with a bit of music. Another song which gives me rolleyes syndrome is Oasis's 'Wonderwall'. Popular as it was, and sung along to by millions, Every time I heard it I was asking myself 'WTF is a Wonderwall'?...Anybody? :confused:

sleeping giant
28-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Forth road bridge now closed to people on motor bikes with big noses.

Jack Hackett
28-03-2015, 12:50 PM

Congrats! My first LOL of the day :aok:

Hamish
28-03-2015, 12:52 PM

That's the Hells Angels Hibernian/Barry Manilow Chapter listening to Cliff and Kevin then

silverhibee
28-03-2015, 12:54 PM
No work on kincardine bridge, im on it just now

Yip my apologies. Drove over it earlier on with no road works. Don't drive and text. :greengrin