PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember Mr Wimpy getting a kick-in?!

3pm
27-03-2015, 08:08 PM
http://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/five-lost-edinburgh-eateries-youll-remember/

3pm
27-03-2015, 08:09 PM
http://foodanddrink.scotsman.com/food/five-lost-edinburgh-eateries-youll-remember/

jacomo
27-03-2015, 08:21 PM
I witnessed it. Or at least, I witnessed one of the occasions on which it happened... I think it became a regular thing to do. It wasn't a kicking - I remember a plaintive but resigned 'oh come on guys' from Mr Wimpy or his assistant as he was tipped over and rolled down Princes St.

Doesn't it get a mention in one of Irvine Welsh's books? Myth and reality from that time are a bit blurred.

Carheenlea
27-03-2015, 09:20 PM
There is still a Wimpy in Dingwall, but I don't recall any Mr Wimpy's getting a shoeing from any Hibs fans on our visits up there!

monktonharp
27-03-2015, 09:30 PM
Arcari's ice cream factory is still operating, up the Wisp, just round the bend up the road from Niddrie Mill x-roads! also, the son of Rudi Arcari stays round the corner from me and still goes about the schemes wi' the ice cream van. his laddie is a wee fat cheeky bugger though:wink:

Canongatehibs
27-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Haha i certainly do recall him getting a going over from the young BBC boys outside West end Wimpey. He got tripped then the boot. wasn't a serious doing though. Sounds like it was a regular thing along Prinny.

Bishop Hibee
27-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Didn't see it but can verify it happened. Mates wee brother, good Hibby, suffered the indignity. Hasn't stopped us slagging him over the years 😀

Hibby70
27-03-2015, 10:27 PM
On the same day I slso remember a guy in a Sinclair C5 going along Princes St and getting dogs abuse.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Theres still a Wimpy in Southend, what a radge place that is! Russell Kane loves to slag the place, I doubt he walks down the promenade too often.

Pete
28-03-2015, 04:00 AM
There are still quite a few wimpy's in motorway service stations and I think I remember seeing the one in Dingwall. Mind you, shell suit tops and stonewashed jeans are the new thing up there so still having a wimpy doesn't surprise me.

That Fat Sams mural brings back a lot of memories. Not sure why Illegal Jacks merits any sort of mention though.:confused:

green day
28-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Ah, good old BrassFannies in newington. Used to go there all the time post commie pool before getting the bus back to gilmerton.

Great times (apart from the Jambo's in gilmerton, that is)

Pretty Boy
28-03-2015, 07:30 AM
There are still quite a few wimpy's in motorway service stations and I think I remember seeing the one in Dingwall. Mind you, shell suit tops and stonewashed jeans are the new thing up there so still having a wimpy doesn't surprise me.

That Fat Sams mural brings back a lot of memories. Not sure why Illegal Jacks merits any sort of mention though.:confused:

I went to the Wimpy in Dingwall after the SC tie up there last season, not difficult to see why they closed in almost every location that had any kind of alternative.

Agree about Illegal Jacks as well. Utter garbage. The Di Maggios Group pulled a masterstroke opening Pintos right next door, as soon as that happened IJs days were numbered. I'm all for supporting local business over big groups (Di Maggios also own the Cafe Andaluz and Amarone brands amongst others) but not when they are as terrible as IJs was. Best Mexican food in Edinburgh is Los Cardos on Leith Walk imo, take away but consistently decent.

wpj
28-03-2015, 07:32 AM
On the same day I slso remember a guy in a Sinclair C5 going along Princes St and getting dogs abuse.

I remember a C5 being driven around ER at half time vs Aberdeen, the driver got pelted with pies and Bovril on all four sides of the ground! Saw mr wimpy being rolled down princess st gardens as well, I think it was a regular occurrence.

Peevemor
28-03-2015, 07:47 AM
I went to the Wimpy in Dingwall after the SC tie up there last season, not difficult to see why they closed in almost every location that had any kind of alternative.

Agree about Illegal Jacks as well. Utter garbage. The Di Maggios Group pulled a masterstroke opening Pintos right next door, as soon as that happened IJs days were numbered. I'm all for supporting local business over big groups (Di Maggios also own the Cafe Andaluz and Amarone brands amongst others) but not when they are as terrible as IJs was. Best Mexican food in Edinburgh is Los Cardos on Leith Walk imo, take away but consistently decent.

Going back a bit, but does anyone remember the mexican restaurant that was in Grove Street. It was BYOB and you had to go through the kitchen to get to the bog. The owner worked there on his own both cooking and serving, but mostly drinking - I went there a few times and seen him in some real states. Epic stuff! :thumbsup:

Bishop Hibee
28-03-2015, 09:36 AM
Going back a bit, but does anyone remember the mexican restaurant that was in Grove Street. It was BYOB and you had to go through the kitchen to get to the bog. The owner worked there on his own both cooking and serving, but mostly drinking - I went there a few times and seen him in some real states. Epic stuff! :thumbsup:

Pachuko Cantinas! Many a great night in their. The food was brilliant and the portions gigantic. Their only ever seemed to be two CD's played on a loop. Tom Jones and the Gypsy Kings if memory serves.

Peevemor
28-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Pachuko Cantinas! Many a great night in their. The food was brilliant and the portions gigantic. Their only ever seemed to be two CD's played on a loop. Tom Jones and the Gypsy Kings if memory serves.

We used to take CDs with us and he was cool about playing them (he was often too wasted to know what he was listening to anyway).

You're right about the food, although I don't know what Gordon Ramsay would think of the nick of the kitchen or the presentation of his dishes.

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2015, 02:56 PM

I thought illegaljacks closed well before Pintos arrived, the ceilunbg fell into the shop and it never reopened.

Pretty Boy
28-03-2015, 03:05 PM
I thought illegaljacks closed well before Pintos arrived, the ceilunbg fell into the shop and it never reopened.

Pintos opened September and Illegal Jacks closed October.

There's another Pintos opened on Shandwick Place a few weeks back.

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Pintos opened September and Illegal Jacks closed October.

There's another Pintos opened on Shandwick Place a few weeks back.

Got my dates confused but my main point was that I thought Illegal Jacks closed as they never recovered from the loss of revenue from the ceiling fall in rather than the competition? Is Pintos any good? Noticed the new one on Shandwick Place, pretty close to the Lothian Road one!

Pretty Boy
28-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Got my dates confused but my main point was that I thought Illegal Jacks closed as they never recovered from the loss of revenue from the ceiling fall in rather than the competition? Is Pintos any good? Noticed the new one on Shandwick Place, pretty close to the Lothian Road one!

Never tried Pintos so no idea of it is any good.

IJs was i trouble pre the ceiling fall. They had a 'free burrito' day shortly after Pintos opened to try and drum up business and were 3 to 4 months behind on payments with a fair few suppliers, including my work. They seemed to be operating on a day to day basis.

Scouse Hibee
28-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Never tried Pintos so no idea of it is any good.

IJs was i trouble pre the ceiling fall. They had a 'free burrito' day shortly after Pintos opened to try and drum up business and were 3 to 4 months behind on payments with a fair few suppliers, including my work. They seemed to be operating on a day to day basis.

Okay cheers. Sent you a PM