PDA

View Full Version : Is Cammy Bell right ?

Lago
25-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Bell reported in todays Mail as believing Sunday's win for the Rangers will give them a psychological boost and confidence if playing Hibs in the play offs.
Is he right or full of what makes the grass grow green in Texas?

givescotlandfreedom
25-03-2015, 11:16 AM
He's bound to say that just like Stubbs said we'll end up stronger after it. Only time will tell but I wouldn't say confidence/arrogance is something Sevco lack.

WeeRussell
25-03-2015, 11:19 AM
They beat us and we played poorly - of course it will give them confidence in beating us, should we meet again later in the year.

Increased confidence for that shower doesn't mean we won't get back to business as usual against them though. :greengrin

Steve20
25-03-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't think it gives them an advantage over us in a playoff match. However, had we beat them on Sunday then I think they'd have gone into any potential playoff match with us with a doubt in their minds if they could beat us.

So while it's giving them a big lift, I still think it's pretty much 50/50 if it comes down to us and them.

PeterboroHibee
25-03-2015, 11:26 AM
I think it can easily be turned around to say that weve won more games against them this season than they have against us, and both their wins involved terrible refereeing decisions in their favour.

Were going to hear this sort of rubbish in the media from Rangers on a regular basis until they are either knocked out of the play offs or win them. Best ignored.

lord bunberry
25-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Bell reported in todays Mail as believing Sunday's win for the Rangers will give them a psychological boost and confidence if playing Hibs in the play offs.
Of course he's right. There's plenty people on here saying we shouldn't be confident of beating Falkirk in the semi as we haven't beat them this season. Sunday's result doesn't give them an advantage, but it gives them a boost.

Thecat23
25-03-2015, 11:29 AM
The Rangers management team now think they can win every game until the end of the season and don't fear Hibs one bit. This could be a good thing though as we won't play that badly again and I think they will be in for a fright when we next play them.

scuttle
25-03-2015, 11:50 AM

He probably is right but we wont play that badly again with any luck

Mikey09
25-03-2015, 12:02 PM
If Collum is reffing he'll be very confident!!! :greengrin

That result will make no difference whatsoever in a play off. But what's he gonna say?! They need every shred of confidence they can get so I would get used to there players, management, media biggin them up from now till then...

NAE NOOKIE
25-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Of course it gave them a boost, that's only a natural reaction, if the boot had been on the other foot we would be saying the same. Does that make them favourites to beat us in a play off? I don't think so for the following reasons:

Can they play any better than they did on Sunday? .... doubtful. Can we play any better than we did on Sunday? .... definitely.

We have two main strikers to return, who IMO are better than the two we had on Sunday.

McCall showed his hand tactically which worked for 60 minutes ... but there is no doubt that Hibs had the upper hand after that and only a poor display by our strikers and an inept / biased / cheating ( take your pick ) piece of refereeing burst our bubble.

But I have to say that this is Hibs ......... there's a reason that in the 2007 league cup final when Killie scored to make it 3 - 1 some of us started to get edgy even though we had dominated the game ..... that reason being manifest in our ability to get ourselves relegated from a strong overall league position at new year and having blown that a strong position in the play off game.

Lago
25-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Of course it gave them a boost, that's only a natural reaction, if the boot had been on the other foot we would be saying the same. Does that make them favourites to beat us in a play off? I don't think so for the following reasons:

Can they play any better than they did on Sunday? .... doubtful. Can we play any better than we did on Sunday? .... definitely.

We have two main strikers to return, who IMO are better than the two we had on Sunday.

McCall showed his hand tactically which worked for 60 minutes ... but there is no doubt that Hibs had the upper hand after that and only a poor display by our strikers and an inept / biased / cheating ( take your pick ) piece of refereeing burst our bubble.

But I have to say that this is Hibs ......... there's a reason that in the 2007 league cup final when Killie scored to make it 3 - 1 some of us started to get edgy even though we had dominated the game ..... that reason being manifest in our ability to get ourselves relegated from a strong overall league position at new year and having blown that a strong position in the play off game.
Your analysis is spot on, the game at Starks Park will tell us a lot about Hibs mental toughness in my opinion.

Bostonhibby
25-03-2015, 12:30 PM
He's mixing psychological up with conspiratorial.

Kato
25-03-2015, 12:35 PM
The Rangers and their supporters in the press seem to be taking it for granted that after beating Hibs everything will fall into place. Given how they've played this season they could well get beat in their next game and the psychological aspect could work against them.

JimBHibees
25-03-2015, 01:46 PM
He's mixing psychological up with conspiratorial.

Indeed :greengrin

Sir David Gray
25-03-2015, 02:18 PM
I would expect anyone at Sevco to come out with that. It doesn't actually mean anything though.

If we play them in the play offs, i'm very confident of beating them over two legs.

Smartie
25-03-2015, 02:28 PM
There's still a lot of football to be played before we (might) meet them again.

The most important point is the one made above - we are about to find out an awful lot about this Hibs team. If we get back on the horse on Saturday with a win then we can look forward to the remaining games. We lost a battle on Sunday but not the war, we have had by far the upper hand in the games between the sides this season and that counts for a lot.

There's no doubting that they landed a huge psychological blow on Sunday though and they will take a lot of heart from it. But we need to focus on each game, make sure we finish second then worry about them then.

I don't know if this is part of the problem though but is there not just a bit of everyone that is thinking "here we go again"? The leads we've thrown away this season, the relegation from a near-impossible position, last year's playoff after winning the first leg. We did much of the hard bit getting ourselves into this position but does anyone really have belief that any Hibs team will be resolute enough to tough it out of a position like this? Ability alone isn't going to be enough, it is going to be a scrap and it is going to take physicality and mental toughness.

jacomo
25-03-2015, 03:10 PM
The Rangers now looked nailed on to finish in the top 4, whereas before last weekend both QoS and Falkirk were beginning to breathe down their necks. That will give them confidence I am sure.

2nd is still in our hands though.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2015, 05:16 PM

Yes he's right, spot on

emerald green
25-03-2015, 05:16 PM
The mind games have started, but unless Hibs are given a fair and impartial referee(s) in any play-off match against The Rangers, then they will and do have a huge advantage.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2015, 05:19 PM
The mind games have started, but unless Hibs are given a fair and impartial referee(s) in any play-off match against The Rangers, then they will and do have a huge advantage.

Folk will panic about the ref they always do.

Eyrie
25-03-2015, 07:02 PM

He's right, and his teammates should listen to him. After Sunday they can afford to relax knowing that they won't need to do anything when they face us in the playoffs.

And by the time they realise the truth we'll be 3-0 up at Ibrox again.

Lago
25-03-2015, 07:38 PM
He's right, and his teammates should listen to him. After Sunday they can afford to relax knowing that they won't need to do anything when they face us in the playoffs.

And by the time they realise the truth we'll be 3-0 up at Ibrox again.
:agree:

HappyHibby93
25-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Sunday's defeat was a sore one. Hope it gives us a kick in the arse that maybe we needed. I do think we'll learn from this, decent test for stubbsy to prove whether he can learn from this game, and set us up better tactically. we did struggle at times at Ibrox when we one 0-2. Certainly in for an interesting couple of months of football

tamig
25-03-2015, 09:59 PM

McCall showed his hand - and it worked. Not just for 60 mins in my opinion. The worrying/annoying thing for me is that Stubbs did absolutely nothing to counter it. The signs were there from the first 10 mins that they were pinning our full backs back and Wallace had the freedom of the pitch. Why he never changed it I will never know.

Waxy
26-03-2015, 07:52 AM
More likely to send sevco into complacency.

Scooter
26-03-2015, 08:41 AM
I hope it's a kick up the arse for us

NAE NOOKIE
26-03-2015, 11:27 AM
McCall showed his hand - and it worked. Not just for 60 mins in my opinion. The worrying/annoying thing for me is that Stubbs did absolutely nothing to counter it. The signs were there from the first 10 mins that they were pinning our full backs back and Wallace had the freedom of the pitch. Why he never changed it I will never know.

I would agree that we didn't do anything tactically ( that I could see ) to counteract The Rangers formation, but it cant be denied that leading up to their 2nd goal we were on top and getting the ball into their box, to little affect it has to be said. I don't understand why AS didn't go 3 at the back either ..... even to me it seemed the obvious thing to do.

ancient hibee
26-03-2015, 03:16 PM

And still we only lost one goal from a goalmouth scramble and one thanks to a dreadful refereeing decision while at the same time we missed chances we normally would take.None of this was due to "tactics" or brilliant management.Anyone would think they'd turned into Barcelona.Did they actually make any chances?

tamig
26-03-2015, 06:54 PM
And still we only lost one goal from a goalmouth scramble and one thanks to a dreadful refereeing decision while at the same time we missed chances we normally would take.None of this was due to "tactics" or brilliant management.Anyone would think they'd turned into Barcelona.Did they actually make any chances?

Our full backs have been major attacking weapons this season. They did nothing on Sunday - down to the hun formation. We missed a few chances early doors - Fontaine's header being one - but it wasn't until later in the second half we started creating stuff. Stubbs was outhought on Sunday and chose to do nothing about it. That concerns me. Making excuses about Collum doesn't hide that fact. The hun aren't good but they were too good for us on Sunday.

Lucius Apuleius
26-03-2015, 09:00 PM
This was my view ancient one. They won,but are still crap. We had a bad day and still fancy our chances against them.

wills
26-03-2015, 09:13 PM
We will finish second, I'm confident in that, but there is more likelyhood that Rangers will believe their own hype and think they just need to turn up for their remaining games. I think Falkirk and QoS will push them to the last.

on a side note did Rangers meet this months wage demand?

ekhibee
27-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Very good points. I couldn't care less what Bell says, but I really hope he's in goals when we beat them in the play-offs.