PDA

View Full Version : £4 a hotdog

GreenCastle
23-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Anyone see the stall in the East?

While I am all for improving the food and service at ER - this is just mental :faf:

Someone from the club needs to sort the catering out - been shocking service and quality for too long.

Disclaimer - this is nothing to do with how the team played or why we lost - but surely fan experience should be No1 on the list for those in charge?!

bingo70
23-03-2015, 04:15 PM
I took a picture of that stall and sent it to mates. They've the cheek to advertise it as if its a good deal!

Fwiw I actually enjoy the pies at Easter road even if they are ridiculously over priced!

Jdawg
23-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Anyone see the stall in the East?

While I am all for improving the food and service at ER - this is just mental :faf:

Someone from the club needs to sort the catering out - been shocking service and quality for too long.

Disclaimer - this is nothing to do with how the team played or why we lost - but surely fan experience should be No1 on the list for those in charge?! best careful how they do so though. Just read a leading case for contract law for uni, lindley catering v hibs from 1975.

Ross4356
23-03-2015, 04:28 PM
If Leanne could get the food sorted it would be excellent. If a chippy can see a half pizza for 2 quid and a bakers do a mince pie for £1.50, Hibs should be able too

Ozyhibby
23-03-2015, 04:32 PM
The catering set up at Hibs is under review just now. Expect changes for next season.

23-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Poor quality food for ridiculous prices.

Ross4356
23-03-2015, 04:38 PM
The catering set up at Hibs is under review just now. Expect changes for next season.

Great news!

HibbyAndy
23-03-2015, 04:40 PM
£4 a hot dog :hilarious

Utterly scandalous.

The_Exile
23-03-2015, 04:43 PM
They could do with having a word with the staff, dunno who employs them but the lassie in the FF lower yesterday at the till I was queing at refused to serve anybody else in the line whilst the lassie at the front waited for her hamburger. There's nothing more frustrating in life knowing you've picked the wrong queue to stand in :greengrin

SteveHFC
23-03-2015, 04:45 PM
£4 a hot dog :hilarious

Utterly scandalous.

http://i.imgur.com/by0tbgD.gif

SaulGoodman
23-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I can get a tin of 8 hot dogs for 49p out of Asda.

So if my maths is any good I could get about 64 hotdogs for the price of one from ER :hilarious

macca70
23-03-2015, 04:48 PM
There was a little random trolley set up in a corner in the FF Lower Concourse selling just mince pies, Ribena and Capri sun.

Saved having to stand in the big queue.

£2.20 for a mince pie is mental, folk pay it though and as long as we continue to do sol, nothing will be done about it.

jacomo
23-03-2015, 04:53 PM

So if my maths is any good I could get about 64 hotdogs for the price of one from ER :hilarious

I would definitely advise against eating 64 Asda hotdogs in one go. Unless you are raising money for a good cause or something.

SaulGoodman
23-03-2015, 04:59 PM
I would definitely advise against eating 64 Asda hotdogs in one go. Unless you are raising money for a good cause or something.

Especially the 49p "mechanically recovered chicken" ones I looked at :jamboak:

S4uzee
23-03-2015, 05:00 PM

I would also advise against buying 8 hot dogs for 49p :greengrin

heretoday
23-03-2015, 05:03 PM
If the drinks ban is lifted we can look forward to a plastic pint of Carlsberg and a hot dog for less than a tenner! You know it makes sense.

Oscar T Grouch
23-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I don't know how anyone eats these things. Seriously, the meat is recovered from chicken carcasses by mincing them up and squeezing them until the protein come out, it's them mixed with rusk and shaped into hotdogs. Ever wondered why they are a bit 'gritty'? That's the chicken bone you can feel. Even better quality hotdogs are full of chemically extracted meat.

HibbyKeith
23-03-2015, 05:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsf9uLq5XW8

:greengrin

bookert
23-03-2015, 05:36 PM
I don't know how anyone eats these things. Seriously, the meat is recovered from chicken carcasses by mincing them up and squeezing them until the protein come out, it's them mixed with rusk and shaped into hotdogs. Ever wondered why they are a bit 'gritty'? That's the chicken bone you can feel. Even better quality hotdogs are full of chemically extracted meat.

The food on offer is unhealthy and expensive. The disappointing thing for me yesterday was that there was no soup. The last three home games the West stand has been selling half decent lentil soup, overpriced but better than anything else on offer. It was selling well enough because at two of the games there was none left at half time.

Beefster
23-03-2015, 05:52 PM

Next you'll be telling me that my Bernard Matthews' Golden Drummers aren't 100% turkey breast.

Oscar T Grouch
23-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Next you'll be telling me that my Bernard Matthews' Golden Drummers aren't 100% turkey breast.

😉 shhhh don't tell everyone. If a meat item says reshaped anywhere on the packet, I tend to avoid it. Drummers I am sure are 100% breast meat, but it'll be the breast meat left on the carcass once the butchers done with it nom nom

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2015, 06:33 PM
There was a little random trolley set up in a corner in the FF Lower Concourse selling just mince pies, Ribena and Capri sun.

Saved having to stand in the big queue.

£2.20 for a mince pie is mental, folk pay it though and as long as we continue to do sol, nothing will be done about it.

That's exactly it - if folk are daft enough to pay it why would they stop charging it?

Supply and demand - it's not compulsory to buy anything from the food stalls.

danhibees1875
23-03-2015, 06:45 PM
If the drinks ban is lifted we can look forward to a plastic pint of Carlsberg and a hot dog for less than a tenner! You know it makes sense.

Was down south recently and got 2 pints of cider and a burger for 8 quid. Unfortunately, the time I took to consume meant I missed 2 goals but still a very reasonable deal.

iwasthere1972
23-03-2015, 07:24 PM

I wouldn't feed them to my dug if I had one. 6p each and Asda have to make a profit as well as the producer. I'd hate to think what they have in them.

bingo70
23-03-2015, 07:52 PM
That's exactly it - if folk are daft enough to pay it why would they stop charging it?

Supply and demand - it's not compulsory to buy anything from the food stalls.

And go 2 hours without eating? Are you ****ing mad?!

Phil D. Rolls
23-03-2015, 07:59 PM
If Leanne could get the food sorted it would be excellent. If a chippy can see a half pizza for 2 quid and a bakers do a mince pie for £1.50, Hibs should be able too

This argument is kind of like the one that goes "I can buy a bottle of Becks for £0.99 at Tesco - how come this boozer is charging £2.99 for the same thing".

If it's £1.50 for a pie at the bakers, then £2.20 isn't too bad. I was actually feeling a bit decadent when I treated myself to one yesterday, but now I just feel cheap.

And go 2 hours without eating? Are you ****ing mad?!

:top marks

GreenCastle
23-03-2015, 08:10 PM
I haven't bought food in the stadium for easily 10 years.

It looks horrendous and the cost of it is a farce.

Surely they can do better and then more people would buy it? Not looking for anything fancy just something you don't feel you are getting ripped off.

They should trial a few different options or even just read the feedback theh have received and sort it out - at least when you go to Killie or Dunfermline you could get a decent pie even if the football on show was rubbish.

I actually like the idea of mini stalls to ease congestion but needs better thought.

CraigHibee
23-03-2015, 08:28 PM
they should get greggs in to do the catering :) steak bakes are lovely :greengrin

HibbyAndy
23-03-2015, 08:32 PM
they should get greggs in to do the catering :) steak bakes are lovely :greengrin

Chicken bakes are even barry'er :greengrin

leggeto
23-03-2015, 08:40 PM
I've been on a hotdog boycott for ages anyway,brutal food by the way

CraigHibee
23-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Chicken bakes are even barry'er :greengrin

chicken bakes are nice too, not been in greggs a while as trying to eat healthier at the moment, got me in the mood for one now though haha

Radium
23-03-2015, 08:46 PM

Leeann Dempster was in the East concourse ahead of the game on Sunday and was asking about the catering and the queues.

She was happy to chat with those who were in and reminisce about a pie on a roll.

I was impressed that she took the time to ask the questions and was left with the impression that catering is on the agenda.

Sir David Gray
23-03-2015, 09:18 PM
If it's anything like the hotdog I had at ER a couple of years ago, I would have to be paid at least £4 to eat it again.

It was like eating cardboard.

hibbytam
23-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Leeann Dempster was in the East concourse ahead of the game on Sunday and was asking about the catering and the queues.

She was happy to chat with those who were in and reminisce about a pie on a roll.

I was impressed that she took the time to ask the questions and was left with the impression that catering is on the agenda.

I'm sure I read on here that hibs were planning on bringing the catering in house from next season. I'm almost 100% certain I read it somewhere, but I'm not sure where, or indeed who said it, or where it came from.

The simple solution is not to buy a hotdog. For so many reasons. However, the price is comparable to what you'd spend on a hot dog at the cinema.

Hermit Crab
23-03-2015, 09:37 PM
They are disgusting things. Watch this video and you probably won't eat them again!

http://youtu.be/2NzUm7UEEIY

portycabbage
23-03-2015, 09:42 PM
Steak bakes and chicken bakes might be alright if they had any steak or chicken in them. Usually they're cold gravy or soup in pastry and you have to eat two thirds of one before you find any of the title ingredient. And hotdogs have very little real dog in them.

I had had a steak pie from ER this season and it was alright. The best food related incident this season was when the lady who sits along from me was coming up the stair when we scored. She was jumping up and down and dancing about holding her half pizza high above her head as if it were the team colours. Bloody funny.

Swedish hibee
23-03-2015, 10:03 PM
I would NEVER eat anything from there. No wonder Scottish obesity levels are so high...
Slip a nice wee herring & beetroot on rye bread in your pocket before you go :wink:

Bad Martini
24-03-2015, 12:16 PM
I've been giving this some serious thought for a long time (about 40 years give or take) and I reckon I Have it.

Why dont they stop selling all that ***** they sell and just sell chips?

Hear me out :greengrin

Not those scabby wee skinny things that are more like hot crisps (when you get them, cold when you get back to seat) but REAL, big, fat, chippie chips. With a proper chippie bag and lots of chippie broon sauce?

Now, my suggestion is braw.

They can buy a few million tonnes of spuds to do the job and employ anyone who can work a knife to cut the ***** things into proper, chunky, real chippie sized chips. They can employ more folk to do the simple job of taking the fixed price/no option/no complication price of £2.00. Everyone has £2 quid in their pocket. No fivers or tenners. Anyone found with one gets ripped for not having £2 quid in change then told to bolt.

So, we have a product, a fixed price and ****loads of tatties cut to chips with no options - just broon sauce (nae salt, there's plenty salt in the sauce). We must utilise real chippie sauce so we can hold a competition to find the best local broon sauce then pay some gadge for it...****loads of it.

Then all we do is sell mountains of ****ing chips. Big bags. Naebody gets done. Good, nourishing, one of yer five a day cut into chips, chips. I mean, its practically beggin to be done.

NO SOUP / PIES / CHICKEN / HOT DOGS / PIZZA / CRISPS / SWEETS / JUICE / BOVRIL / **** ALL. Just, chips. No tender. No complicated machines or ovens or anything. Just spud, cut, fry and sell. Sorted.

And with all the extra money we make from this brilliant idea, we can aquire land to grow even MORE ****ing tatties for the ventue. In fact, we could utilise Easter Road during the summer for the job - barry :greengrin

Now, I am not a mathematical guru, a marketing guru or a lawyer but I reckon this would be a rather vintage, braw and thoroughly groundbreaking plan. We could even sell the franchise to other Scottish fitba clubs. Chips R Us...and **** all but chips mind.

I reckon we could shift more chips than season tickets. Big, fat, chippie chips. We keep folk healthy and the more vegetable oil we use, the better. As vegetable oil comes from....well, you put it together and when coupled with the uber chippie chips, its TWO of yer five a day!

The health minister will be applauding yon genius.

Someone suggest it tae Dempster. Its a winner. EVERYONE likes chips or tatties. Simple.

Bit like Henry Ford minus the stupid black car and with more genius, a better smell and more nourishment.

I reckon it's a go'er. :greengrin

ENDOF

Beefster
24-03-2015, 12:23 PM
If Hibs aren't selling saffron and white truffle burgers next season, I'm not renewing my ST.

Woody70x2
24-03-2015, 12:42 PM
In addition to the food... Coffee and tea are rank. I don't even think it is just the instant cups used... I guess it must be the water. Disgusting... and at Costa / Starbucks pricing it is not acceptable.

The_Exile
24-03-2015, 12:43 PM
I've been giving this some serious thought for a long time (about 40 years give or take) and I reckon I Have it.

Not those scabby wee skinny things that are more like hot crisps (when you get them, cold when you get back to seat) but REAL, big, fat, chippie chips. With a proper chippie bag and lots of chippie broon sauce?

They can buy a few million tonnes of spuds to do the job and employ anyone who can work a knife to cut the ***** things into proper, chunky, real chippie sized chips. They can employ more folk to do the simple job of taking the fixed price/no option/no complication price of £2.00. Everyone has £2 quid in their pocket. No fivers or tenners. Anyone found with one gets ripped for not having £2 quid in change then told to bolt.

So, we have a product, a fixed price and ****loads of tatties cut to chips with no options - just broon sauce (nae salt, there's plenty salt in the sauce). We must utilise real chippie sauce so we can hold a competition to find the best local broon sauce then pay some gadge for it...****loads of it.

Then all we do is sell mountains of ****ing chips. Big bags. Naebody gets done. Good, nourishing, one of yer five a day cut into chips, chips. I mean, its practically beggin to be done.

NO SOUP / PIES / CHICKEN / HOT DOGS / PIZZA / CRISPS / SWEETS / JUICE / BOVRIL / **** ALL. Just, chips. No tender. No complicated machines or ovens or anything. Just spud, cut, fry and sell. Sorted.

And with all the extra money we make from this brilliant idea, we can aquire land to grow even MORE ****ing tatties for the ventue. In fact, we could utilise Easter Road during the summer for the job - barry :greengrin

Now, I am not a mathematical guru, a marketing guru or a lawyer but I reckon this would be a rather vintage, braw and thoroughly groundbreaking plan. We could even sell the franchise to other Scottish fitba clubs. Chips R Us...and **** all but chips mind.

I reckon we could shift more chips than season tickets. Big, fat, chippie chips. We keep folk healthy and the more vegetable oil we use, the better. As vegetable oil comes from....well, you put it together and when coupled with the uber chippie chips, its TWO of yer five a day!

Someone suggest it tae Dempster. Its a winner. EVERYONE likes chips or tatties. Simple.

Bit like Henry Ford minus the stupid black car and with more genius, a better smell and more nourishment.

ENDOF

YAAAASSSS that's the gemme, the famine is well and truly ower! :flag:

Oscar T Grouch
24-03-2015, 12:44 PM
If Hibs aren't selling saffron and white truffle burgers next season, I'm not renewing my ST.

If they do, they better buy their saffron off of me or I'm no renewing!!:wink:

ekhibee
24-03-2015, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't touch their hotdogs in any case, but for me the biggest rip-off is their chips, you're lucky if you get about 10 chips in a poke.

cabbageandribs1875
24-03-2015, 02:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRfbfN8CUAAqUKP.jpg

still want one ? :Ummm:

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2015, 03:07 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRfbfN8CUAAqUKP.jpg

still want one ? :Ummm:

Sounds like the pie ingredients too.

Smartie
24-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Any reconstituted meat product is rank if you think about it for a second. Sausages, pies, most burgers, chicken nuggets are all much the same. I always wondered what the hell went into the "mock chop" that they used to sell in the chip shop too.

Either you don't eat it or you don't think about it.

OT but I remember a guy at school telling us not to eat hotdogs because they full of crap like pigeon's lips. Cue hours of fun laughing at the guy who thought pigeons had lips.

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 03:45 PM
This argument is kind of like the one that goes "I can buy a bottle of Becks for £0.99 at Tesco - how come this boozer is charging £2.99 for the same thing".

If it's £1.50 for a pie at the bakers, then £2.20 isn't too bad. I was actually feeling a bit decadent when I treated myself to one yesterday, but now I just feel cheap.

:top marks

A pub offers drink as one of it's primary attraction. Food at football is incidental and we should not be subject to the same rip-off mentality that prevails on airplanes, airports etc.

The whole culture of fans being treated as cash cows needs looked at, this includes times of games and admission prices. Some of it may be hard to change, but the catering side should be able to be resolved.

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2015, 03:46 PM
A pub offers drink as one of it's primary attraction. Food at football is incidental and we should not be subject to the same rip-off mentality that prevails on airplanes, airports etc.

The whole culture of fans being treated as cash cows needs looked at, this includes times of games and admission prices. Some of it may be hard to change, but the catering side should be able to be resolved.

How much control do the Club have over the prices?

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 04:06 PM
How much control do the Club have over the prices?

Not sure, but aren't they interested in how the fans feel about the incidentals that contribute to the, ahem, match day experience? Why would they grant franchise rights to an organisation that they know will be providing poor quality service and products to their customer? In my business, reputation is everything.

When the current contracts are up the commercial people need to be a bit more creative and get it right. They could do way better with catering, don't you agree?

CropleyWasGod
24-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Not sure, but aren't they interested in how the fans feel about the incidentals that contribute to the, ahem, match day experience? Why would they grant franchise rights to an organisation that they know will be providing poor quality service and products to their customer? In my business, reputation is everything.

When the current contracts are up the commercial people need to be a bit more creative and get it right. They could do way better with catering, don't you agree?

My question was genuine, as I don't actually know.

My guess, from some of the comments on here, is that the contracts are up for renewal quite soon. All of the points you make are valid and do deserve to be considered.

iwasthere1972
24-03-2015, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't touch their hotdogs in any case, but for me the biggest rip-off is their chips, you're lucky if you get about 10 chips in a poke.

Biggest rip off is the tea. Must cost about 5p all in for the cup, tea bag etc and at £1.80 the margin must be enormous.

Plus it's pretty crap.

cabbageandribs1875
24-03-2015, 05:43 PM

bought a pie at the Dumbarton game and picked around all the mince and just ate the pastry :)

Hibby Bairn
24-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Imagine if the food and drink was priced at or near cost and the operation was run in partnership with a charity working with young people to give them live work experience. That could be extended to catering on non match days as well.

And then the charity and club work to help same youngsters get jobs in catering or hospitality on back of skills learned.

hibsbollah
24-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Imagine if the food and drink was priced at or near cost and the operation was run in partnership with a charity working with young people to give them live work experience. That could be extended to catering on non match days as well.

And then the charity and club work to help same youngsters get jobs in catering or hospitality on back of skills learned.

:aok:
Social bite are already doing something similar with the profits going to homeless charities. And the food is good quality.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2015, 07:05 PM

If the food is incidental, then surely people can take it or leave it?

The same arguments would also apply to cinemas IMO. You pay to see the entertainment, if you fancy something to enhance that then you pay over the odds.

I don't think Hibs are stopping people bringing their own food.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Biggest rip off is the tea. Must cost about 5p all in for the cup, tea bag etc and at £1.80 the margin must be enormous.

Plus it's pretty crap.

I wonder if Starbucks used Hibs as a business model when they started out.

newmarket_hibbee
24-03-2015, 07:18 PM

I worked as a butcher in my younger days, just add sawdust of the floor to the above contents and you have scotch pie filing!!!

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 08:16 PM

The same arguments would also apply to cinemas IMO. You pay to see the entertainment, if you fancy something to enhance that then you pay over the odds.

My point is that the club are trying to sell us a vision of a more "involved" fan friendly future. Would it not be a sign of better things to come if we could just improve on mediocrity on the catering front?

I love Hibs, I don't love the pictures- Also , if the entertainment is pish then at least the opportunity for a decent feed is a comfort and a distraction? At current prices you'd have to spend a fortune and there is SFA for vegetarians:na na:

And with a name like yours , you would have thought you'd get it

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Let's start with the La Favorita trailer in the grounds behind the East on match days :greengrin The have gluten free dough too.

capitals_finest
24-03-2015, 11:07 PM

ENDOF

:not worth big fat chips in broon sauce. You cannot beat it.

Better to excel in one thing rather than settle for mediocrity.

Phil D. Rolls
25-03-2015, 09:11 AM
My point is that the club are trying to sell us a vision of a more "involved" fan friendly future. Would it not be a sign of better things to come if we could just improve on mediocrity on the catering front?

I love Hibs, I don't love the pictures- Also , if the entertainment is pish then at least the opportunity for a decent feed is a comfort and a distraction? At current prices you'd have to spend a fortune and there is SFA for vegetarians:na na:

And with a name like yours , you would have thought you'd get it

I think the prices are extortionate, but so is the admission. It's the way it's always been.

My user name comes from the "Macaroon n Spearmint" men that used to go round grounds. I thought it was really amusing when we were in the SC Final in 1979, they'd upped their game and were providing filled rolls as a luxury treat. My mate was so amused he asked what was on the rolls - the answer "Spam".

It was at that point I realised that when people are on a day out they'd buy absolutely anything. I think the clubs always knew that.

Tbh I don't think out catering is any more of a rip off than any ground I've been at. The question is, would making it more affordable also improve the service. Only so many people can get served in a ten minute interval - if the food was cheaper there would be more demand at the counters.

Hermit Crab
25-03-2015, 09:46 AM
I think the prices are extortionate, but so is the admission. It's the way it's always been.

My user name comes from the "Macaroon n Spearmint" men that used to go round grounds. I thought it was really amusing when we were in the SC Final in 1979, they'd upped their game and were providing filled rolls as a luxury treat. My mate was so amused he asked what was on the rolls - the answer "Spam".

It was at that point I realised that when people are on a day out they'd buy absolutely anything. I think the clubs always knew that.

Tbh I don't think out catering is any more of a rip off than any ground I've been at. The question is, would making it more affordable also improve the service. Only so many people can get served in a ten minute interval - if the food was cheaper there would be more demand at the counters.

If the food was better quality there'd be more demand at counters as well. Some games this season only half the kiosk has been open in the west upper, the shutters remaining down on the other half.

Kojock
25-03-2015, 10:32 AM
:not worth big fat chips in broon sauce. You cannot beat it.

Better to excel in one thing rather than settle for mediocrity.

Salt n sauce or salt n vinegar ?? I can see a 16 pager there. :aok:

Mikey
25-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Salt n sauce or salt n vinegar ?? I can see a 16 pager there. :aok:

This one shouldn't be a 16 pager as it was covered in post 5.

Bad Martini
25-03-2015, 12:09 PM
This one shouldn't be a 16 pager as it was covered in post 5.

Sorted...so they're gonna implement my master plan. Chips, chips and more chips. No options. NO vinegar (WTAF!) just sauce of the broon variety....lots of it. In bags, to putners with £2 quids in their paw.

Sorted. That is Nostradamus like vision so it is :greengrin

Sorted and Ithangyou.

:thumbsup:

lord bunberry
25-03-2015, 01:05 PM
bought a pie at the Dumbarton game and picked around all the mince and just ate the pastry :)
You ate the crust!!!! Are you mad? The crusts are made from all the leftover flour that's swept up from the floor in the toilet.

overdrive
25-03-2015, 06:16 PM

Totally off topic but amazingly, the food and drink are cinema chains' core profit source. When I worked in that industry, admission to the actual movies was sold at a significant loss.

Hannah_hfc
25-03-2015, 07:10 PM
I rarely say this but American/ Canadian sports venues have it spot on when it comes to this type of thing.

A few years ago I went to a Vancouver Whitecaps game, before they were in the MLS, crowd of about 5k in a smaller stadium than where they are now, but there were stalls and canopys outside the ground with bbq grills on the go- burgers, hot dogs etc. Wasn't that expensive either.

Even the bigger stadiums (Safeco field where the Seattle baseball team plays) there were different stalls around the concourse, you could have Chinese food, Mexican, grill stuff, pizza - all sorts!

I know it's highly unrealistic to replicate especially since the ER concourses aren't particularly long , but there must be some inspiration taken from what these venues across the Atlantic manage to do. I'm not one for eating at matches but it was amazing to walk round and see everything on offer. You could tell it added to the whole "day out " experience of not just the game, but everything before and in-between.

cabbageandribs1875
25-03-2015, 07:13 PM
You ate the crust!!!! Are you mad? The crusts are made from all the leftover flour that's swept up from the floor in the toilet.

that's me finished with the pies as well then :( only bovrils from now on...and i don't care what they put in it :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
25-03-2015, 07:15 PM
If it's anything like the hotdog I had at ER a couple of years ago, I would have to be paid at least £4 to eat it again.

It was like eating cardboard.

The second season after the new East opened I took my not interested in football nephew to a game. He asked for one of the hideously expensive giant hot dogs and after a few minutes I noticed he was only eating the bread and not the sausage, I asked him why and he said he didn't want the sausage. Bugger that ya ungrateful wee sod I thought, I'm not gonna throw away £4 worth of hot dog sausage. I took one bite and threw it away, it was disgusting :faf:

Having said that, apart from the fact they stick to the foil :grr: the steak pies are OK ... unlike the service which is slower than continental drift.

The Gorf
25-03-2015, 08:01 PM
For years I have longed for black coffee at ER and was delighted when they finally put it on the menu however, I have had it twice now and it is lukewarm and no taste of coffee at all.

iwasthere1972
25-03-2015, 08:56 PM
They want to think themselves lucky on I'm A Celeb Get Me Out Of Here that they get Skippy's testicles and cockroaches to eat and not the Easter Road pies and hotdogs.

HappyHibby93
25-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I blame Petire, it's all his fault.

SaulGoodman
26-03-2015, 12:19 PM

From the toilets? I don't think that's flour mate.

Garry O'Connor might like those pies right enough :hilarious

GreenCastle
26-03-2015, 12:28 PM

Dangerous mindset to have - this is exactly why we should be looking to change it as there are constantly threads on here about poor service - crap food and expensive prices - why not change it and make the fan experience more enjoyable.

Beefster
26-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Dangerous mindset to have - this is exactly why we should be looking to change it as there are constantly threads on here about poor service - crap food and expensive prices - why not change it and make the fan experience more enjoyable.

Hibs are trying. STs dropped in price (albeit only by about 5%) and it's been said that Hibs are looking at the catering situation, given that the existing contract is up in the summer. I'm as impatient as the next man but, unfortuntely, these things take time - even when folk are actively looking to change stuff.

GreenCastle
26-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Hibs are trying. STs dropped in price (albeit only by about 5%) and it's been said that Hibs are looking at the catering situation, given that the existing contract is up in the summer. I'm as impatient as the next man but, unfortuntely, these things take time - even when folk are actively looking to change stuff.

I was happy to hear LD was down in the East before the last home game.

I hope for change for next season :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
26-03-2015, 08:09 PM

I guess the answer is - don't buy the garbage they sell, if they can't make enough money on it, they'll have to try a bit harder.

I've been trying this for several years, with little success.

Have to say if I was in their position I would try to make as much money as possible for as little effort as possible. The public gets what the public wants, and at the moment they seem to want to pay over the odds for rotten food.

Back in the 80s Aberdeen used to do things like steak sandwiches, but for some reason they fell back into traditional football food.

The effort required to store and cook fresh and interesting food wouldn't be worth the return. That said, would it be take too much imagination to stock tubs of hummus, olives, and anti - pasti, and sell them at a premium. I reckon people are as likely to pay £2.50 for a dip as they are for a bag of crisps.

Finally, I wonder if there would be any mileage in dough rings. They go down well at some of the Sunday Post grounds, like East End and McDiarmid park.

The other thing I'd have thought would be really easy to do would be stovies.

CockneyRebel
26-03-2015, 08:23 PM
The second season after the new East opened I took my not interested in football nephew to a game. He asked for one of the hideously expensive giant hot dogs and after a few minutes I noticed he was only eating the bread and not the sausage, I asked him why and he said he didn't want the sausage. Bugger that ya ungrateful wee sod I thought, I'm not gonna throw away £4 worth of hot dog sausage. I took one bite and threw it away, it was disgusting :faf:

Having said that, apart from the fact they stick to the foil :grr: the steak pies are OK ... unlike the service which is slower than continental drift.

Like it! Boom Boom

mca
26-03-2015, 08:25 PM

Give The Contract to Greggs.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/thumbs%20up.gif

SteveHFC
26-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Wait until you see the prices for a hotdog in a few weeks at Hampden. :wink:

superfurryhibby
26-03-2015, 08:46 PM
I guess the answer is - don't buy the garbage they sell, if they can't make enough money on it, they'll have to try a bit harder.

I've been trying this for several years, with little success.

Have to say if I was in their position I would try to make as much money as possible for as little effort as possible. The public gets what the public wants, and at the moment they seem to want to pay over the odds for rotten food.

Back in the 80s Aberdeen used to do things like steak sandwiches, but for some reason they fell back into traditional football food.

The effort required to store and cook fresh and interesting food wouldn't be worth the return. That said, would it be take too much imagination to stock tubs of hummus, olives, and anti - pasti, and sell them at a premium. I reckon people are as likely to pay £2.50 for a dip as they are for a bag of crisps.

Finally, I wonder if there would be any mileage in dough rings. They go down well at some of the Sunday Post grounds, like East End and McDiarmid park.

The other thing I'd have thought would be really easy to do would be stovies.

To be fair, that is cynical nonsense. Just about every post agrees the food is a joke. How is that the public getting what the public want?

The renewal of the catering contract will be a barometer of our new direction. I expect Hibs to show the same commitment to improvement in the scran as they have done with the playing staff.

Hot dogs out-Greggs in.

Phil D. Rolls
26-03-2015, 09:12 PM
To be fair, that is cynical nonsense. Just about every post agrees the food is a joke. How is that the public getting what the public want?

The renewal of the catering contract will be a barometer of our new direction. I expect Hibs to show the same commitment to improvement in the scran as they have done with the playing staff.

Hot dogs out-Greggs in.

Yes, deliberately cynical. I would definitely be in favour of exploring ways that tastier, value for money, quickly served food could be made available.

We live in a city where entertainment and leisure are massive contributors to the economy. The people who cater for the festival crowds might have a few ideas.

Another thing that might be entertaining is to get Jamie Oliver involved - I'm not sure if he's done one of his shows on mass catering for sports crowds, but you'd think if he hadn't it might be a goer.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-03-2015, 09:31 PM
I thought Jamie Oliver owned Pukka Pies! :greengrin

mca
26-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Hot dogs out-Greggs in.

http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/top%20marks.gif

Greggs Sell Hot-Dogs as well Now... No Tried them tho... :greengrin

But - They do offer some slightly Healthier Snack Options as well.. :wink:

And they Seem to deal with big queues and Don't Charge a ****ing Fortune.. http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

ehf
26-03-2015, 11:43 PM
Anybody tried the "homemade" soup that you can now get at ER (in the West Lower, at least)?

And whose home is it made at?

Andy Bee
27-03-2015, 04:19 AM
Yes, deliberately cynical. I would definitely be in favour of exploring ways that tastier, value for money, quickly served food could be made available.

We live in a city where entertainment and leisure are massive contributors to the economy. The people who cater for the festival crowds might have a few ideas.

Another thing that might be entertaining is to get Jamie Oliver involved - I'm not sure if he's done one of his shows on mass catering for sports crowds, but you'd think if he hadn't it might be a goer.

Jamie Olivers company Fabulous Feasts do the catering at The Etihad and do a fantastic job of it, the food is delicious and reasonably priced for what it is, fresh, locally sourced and of very high quality. Proper burgers made with good quality beef and the rolls made by local bakers, chicken balti pies made onsite on matchday that sell for £3.80 a pop, pulled pork rolls, all sold by local charity members in the kiosks who then take a cut of the profit.

"We make sure the food is good, fresh, is made locally. and gives people good value for money rather than salty hot dogs and pies.

"We have to give better levels of service to do this and have a not-for-profit programme here which isn’t done anywhere else in the country.

A couple of quotes that Hibs should maybe take notice of.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2015, 07:51 AM
Jamie Olivers company Fabulous Feasts do the catering at The Etihad and do a fantastic job of it, the food is delicious and reasonably priced for what it is, fresh, locally sourced and of very high quality. Proper burgers made with good quality beef and the rolls made by local bakers, chicken balti pies made onsite on matchday that sell for £3.80 a pop, pulled pork rolls, all sold by local charity members in the kiosks who then take a cut of the profit.

"We make sure the food is good, fresh, is made locally. and gives people good value for money rather than salty hot dogs and pies.

"We have to give better levels of service to do this and have a not-for-profit programme here which isn’t done anywhere else in the country.

That sounds really good.

Another thing that crossed my mind is, how hard would it be to make the concourses more attractive? It's like eating in a toilet at present.

A lick of paint and get some local graffiti artists in to do Hibs themed murals wouldn't cost much.

Lucius Apuleius
27-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Any catering company that bases there business model on a not for profit basis is not going to be a catering company for long.

GreenCastle
27-03-2015, 09:22 AM
That sounds really good.

Another thing that crossed my mind is, how hard would it be to make the concourses more attractive? It's like eating in a toilet at present.

A lick of paint and get some local graffiti artists in to do Hibs themed murals wouldn't cost much.

:agree:

Not sure what it was last weekend but entering the East Stand I saw these over priced hot dog stands and thought these surroundings need some character.

I know the East was built as basically a shell and they have done the stones outside and added a few pictures inside of past players - but surely they could do more to it now - considering it's the most popular stand.

Other games are occasionally played at the stadium but it would again add to match day experience and I am sure if it main concourse they could be covered up or protected by stewards.

Something like this - http://s51.photobucket.com/user/ijka_v2/media/EIU_Illinois/P1020102.jpg.html

Hibs could run a competition for local artists to come up with designs and the winner gets a free Season Ticket or tickets for game etc.

Oscar T Grouch
27-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Any catering company that bases there business model on a not for profit basis is not going to be a catering company for long.

Any company can run on a not for profit basis, you cover overheads and staff costs and any excess can be used to grow or developed the business or in the eitihads case the profit goes to charity. There are lots of companies run this way, capitalism isn't the only way to do things you know 👍

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2015, 09:36 AM
:agree:

Not sure what it was last weekend but entering the East Stand I saw these over priced hot dog stands and thought these surroundings need some character.

I know the East was built as basically a shell and they have done the stones outside and added a few pictures inside of past players - but surely they could do more to it now - considering it's the most popular stand.

Other games are occasionally played at the stadium but it would again add to match day experience and I am sure if it main concourse they could be covered up or protected by stewards.

Something like this - http://s51.photobucket.com/user/ijka_v2/media/EIU_Illinois/P1020102.jpg.html

Hibs could run a competition for local artists to come up with designs and the winner gets a free Season Ticket or tickets for game etc.

A food court (aka burger vans or stalls), like they have at the German market in Princes Street, would easily fit into the area in front of the west stand.

I think making the place more attractive would definitely contribute towards a sense of pride in the club and its ground.

Beefster
27-03-2015, 09:57 AM

There are successful non-for-profits everywhere. I'm not sure why cooking some food would make a difference to the business model.

Phil D. Rolls
27-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Be interesting to see how Social Bite in Shandwick Place fare. The idea is to give disadvantaged people a job rather than to make a profit.

sh00byd00
27-03-2015, 01:46 PM
Almost all fast food whether it be at a football game, Knockhill, your local gala day etc is vastly overpriced. Not only that, it's usually the cheapest of the cheap quality food stuff. People lap it up and I don't see any reason why the catering companies would reduce their prices if people are daft enough to buy it. The only way that would happen is if the event organisers/clubs subsidised the catering.

Lucius Apuleius
27-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I have only spent 42 years in contract catering and the thought of any company I have ever worked with working as not for profit has me rolling on the floor. I can understand a couple of the comments regarding the outlets that are basically charities but apart from that I am struggling to see why any company would exist were it not to make profit.

Long live capitalism. 👍�xi st were it not to make profit

sh00byd00
27-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I have only spent 42 years in contract catering and the thought of any company I have ever worked with working as not for profit has me rolling on the floor. I can understand a couple of the comments regarding the outlets that are basically charities but apart from that I am struggling to see why any company would exist were it not to make profit.

Long live capitalism. �xi st were it not to make profit

People are always blasé with the finances of others. Companies shouldn't make profits, footballers shouldn't moan if they miss a week's wage because they're all multi zquillionaires (even if they play in Scotland for one of the non OF clubs) and rich people shouldn't buy expensive luxuries and so on. Yet almost all of us have no issues squandering our own money or accepting a pay hike at work.

superfurryhibby
27-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Almost all fast food whether it be at a football game, Knockhill, your local gala day etc is vastly overpriced. Not only that, it's usually the cheapest of the cheap quality food stuff. People lap it up and I don't see any reason why the catering companies would reduce their prices if people are daft enough to buy it. The only way that would happen is if the event organisers/clubs subsidised the catering.

Missing the point a bit. Read earlier on the thread. Hibs are seeking to become a community owned club. The fans deserve better treatment than a cash cow. I'm sure there's a profit in it without super rip off prices, ***** quality and a subsidy. Hibs are not a local gala day or Knockhill. We're a club that is in transition and aiming for significant stakeholder investment.

Beefster
27-03-2015, 09:02 PM
People are always blasé with the finances of others. Companies shouldn't make profits, footballers shouldn't moan if they miss a week's wage because they're all multi zquillionaires (even if they play in Scotland for one of the non OF clubs) and rich people shouldn't buy expensive luxuries and so on. Yet almost all of us have no issues squandering our own money or accepting a pay hike at work.

Eh? I'm all for companies making profits if that's what they want to do. Equally, if a company decides to either give their profits away to 'good causes' or to forgo profits to help society then I'm all for it.

I'm not sure if there is some confusion about what 'not-for-profit' actually means or something.

HibsMax
27-03-2015, 10:02 PM
That's the way it's always going to be. The concessions stands are there to make money, not to appease the fans. I don't go to many live sporting events but when I do, I just suck it up. $8 for a beer, etc. I appreciate that it's harder for folks who go every week.

What would be interesting to know is how much of the money does Hibs get and how do they use it?

hibbytam
27-03-2015, 10:19 PM

Long live capitalism. �xi st were it not to make profit

Well, in the case of the social bite, they exist to raise money for homeless charities, while also offering employment to homeless people, and offer food to homeless people.
Since they have 4 different sites, it seems to be working well, and long may it continue.

Glorious St Pat
27-03-2015, 10:47 PM
Give the contract to a locally sourced provider - Storries in Leith Walk. Also bring in other local businesses such as La Favorita to make pizza - the produce will fly out the door.

Also be original and seasonal too - lentil soup, stovies, ginger beer etc.

Just get it done Hibs we've been moaning for years.

Tinribs
27-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Just let us bring in our own food, if you go to a game with your girls/boys, why can't i bring food to feed them? A couple of happy meals, a Quarter pounder with cheese for me...water/milk for all. Not a great diet for anyone, but once a fortnight is ok. If the fare at the ground is rubbish, then at least let us bring in our own choice of rubbish.

Pete
28-03-2015, 04:46 AM
Thirty years ago the "catering" at most football grounds was a stall that sold hot drinks, pies and some crisps. It was there because people were bored at half time and if they felt a bit peckish or cold then what better than a pie and bovril?

With the new stadiums came the new outlets run by catering companies that were able to serve a bigger range of food. With this has come the gradual pushing of the idea that the football is a place to really enjoy the food on offer, perhaps even at the expense of a traditional meal like tea or dinner. It's in these companies interests to sell as much food as possible at a profit and even though it's been scaled back slightly, a few years ago we were being offered "meal deals" like a fast food restaurant...but at a premium.

What do you really want at 3.45? A bovril or tea and maybe something to fill a hole. I certainly don't want a Jamie Oliver burger or a la favourita pizza (any socialists might want to see where and how the owner of particular restaurant lives before having a go at others). It's become a lot more complicated than it should be and it needs to be scaled back big time.

I don't know what the plans are for next season but these companies should be binned and Hibernian FC should organise it all on a non/minimal profit basis. They make a profit from the supporters already and we should have the option of getting a good deal on a cup of tea once we are in our "family home". We certainly shouldn't be ripped off again by any outsiders. The club should also be simplifying what's on offer to stop making people feel like this is a legitimate place to eat a large percentage of your food intake. If it's not for profit then this shouldn't be an issue...and it would tie in with all this "healthy hibee" stuff and remove any contradictions.

The new kiosks should sell pies, bridies, hot drinks, tins of juice and some crisps. It's not particularly healthy, it's certainly not a replacement for a traditional meal but it's optional. If you simply have to eat something substantial or something that isn't available then bring it in yourself.

Once we remove the need to make a substantial profit from food then it really does become simple.

Ronniekirk
28-03-2015, 08:41 AM
If Rod was serving them up for free I would take one ,but rubbery sausage meat in a cold bun with no hot fried onions and lashings of mustard and ketchup isn't for me .
Hanoi Bike Shop off Byrers rd Glasgow Vietnamese Street Food ,just a wee plug as I like it there ..Pret a Mange should be brought in to do reasonable priced football food and what's not sold that day goes to be distributed to local community groups in the area which is what they currently do in all there shops and food is freshly made on the day .
I always buy something at the game as hungry ,and to be honest price apart I can't say it's not done the basics Althogh do prefer the Killie Pie .
Am away for my breakfast posting this has made me peckish

tamig
28-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Thirty years ago the "catering" at most football grounds was a stall that sold hot drinks, pies and some crisps. It was there because people were bored at half time and if they felt a bit peckish or cold then what better than a pie and bovril?

With the new stadiums came the new outlets run by catering companies that were able to serve a bigger range of food. With this has come the gradual pushing of the idea that the football is a place to really enjoy the food on offer, perhaps even at the expense of a traditional meal like tea or dinner. It's in these companies interests to sell as much food as possible at a profit and even though it's been scaled back slightly, a few years ago we were being offered "meal deals" like a fast food restaurant...but at a premium.

What do you really want at 3.45? A bovril or tea and maybe something to fill a hole. I certainly don't want a Jamie Oliver burger or a la favourita pizza (any socialists might want to see where and how the owner of particular restaurant lives before having a go at others). It's become a lot more complicated than it should be and it needs to be scaled back big time.

I don't know what the plans are for next season but these companies should be binned and Hibernian FC should organise it all on a non/minimal profit basis. They make a profit from the supporters already and we should have the option of getting a good deal on a cup of tea once we are in our "family home". We certainly shouldn't be ripped off again by any outsiders. The club should also be simplifying what's on offer to stop making people feel like this is a legitimate place to eat a large percentage of your food intake. If it's not for profit then this shouldn't be an issue...and it would tie in with all this "healthy hibee" stuff and remove any contradictions.

The new kiosks should sell pies, bridies, hot drinks, tins of juice and some crisps. It's not particularly healthy, it's certainly not a replacement for a traditional meal but it's optional. If you simply have to eat something substantial or something that isn't available then bring it in yourself.

Once we remove the need to make a substantial profit from food then it really does become simple.
I was at old Douglas Park back in the 80s and a boy appeared at the back of the shed with a huge cardboard box. He sprung the box open, a large queue built up and spam rolls started flying out the box. The boy was charging a fraction of the price the official pie stall was for their stuff. Don't think he'd get away with that nowadays. True entrepeneurial spirit!

superfurryhibby
28-03-2015, 03:34 PM
I was at old Douglas Park back in the 80s and a boy appeared at the back of the shed with a huge cardboard box. He sprung the box open, a large queue built up and spam rolls started flying out the box. The boy was charging a fraction of the price the official pie stall was for their stuff. Don't think he'd get away with that nowadays. True entrepeneurial spirit!

I could take that entrepreneurial thing one step further with a memory from 1979, involving the pie shed ( it was a shed) except then I'd have to turn my self in at Constitution St. Maybe later once I'm fully munted.

Ronniekirk
28-03-2015, 03:47 PM

In this new digital age Spam would be blocked right enough :wink:

Aldo
28-03-2015, 03:56 PM
In this new digital age Spam would be blocked right enough :wink:

Ha ha. That made me laugh there Ronnie.

Back in the days Spam fritters.

Ronniekirk
28-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Ha ha. That made me laugh there Ronnie.

Back in the days Spam fritters.
Glad I made someone laugh :wink: just switching threads to relieve the tension Hope when I switch back to Matchday thread we will have taken the lead :confused: we seem to relish doing things the hard way

Phil D. Rolls
28-03-2015, 05:03 PM
Glad I made someone laugh :wink: just switching threads to relieve the tension Hope when I switch back to Matchday thread we will have taken the lead :confused: we seem to relish doing things the hard way

Hmmm, maybe you'd be better talking about condiments for a wee bit longer Ronnie.

Ronniekirk
28-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Hmmm, maybe you'd be better talking about condiments for a wee bit longer Ronnie.
:wink: Liked that one