PDA

View Full Version : We will finish second

matty_f
22-03-2015, 10:55 PM
Today was a sore one, and we got what we deserved but I don't think it changes where we'll finish.

I've seen enough from us in our post -December form to suggest we will finish second, and I think we'll finish second by a couple of points.

We need to hope that today's really acts as a wee boot in the backside and a reminder to the team that there is hard work still to be done, and hopefully gives the players something to prove over the remaining few games.

DH1875
22-03-2015, 11:02 PM
I believe we will finish second. My only fear is that we play Falkirk last game of the season while the rangers plays the yams. Worry that the yams play their youth team that day.

Stevie Reid
22-03-2015, 11:05 PM
I believe we will finish second. My only fear is that we play Falkirk last game of the season while the rangers plays the yams. Worry that the yams play their youth team that day.

Why would Hearts play their youth team?

DH1875
22-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Why would Hearts play their youth team?

Cause they have won the league and will be looking to blood some of their youth team into next seasons squad :dunno:

Billychaotic182
22-03-2015, 11:50 PM
Hearts team is the youth tbf

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2015, 05:51 AM
Hearts team is the youth tbf

Is it? Less than half are youngsters - they're shipped in a few journeymen now they're flush again.

Stokesy's on fire
23-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Hearts won't want the Huns back up to be fair they will want to end their season beating the Huns and Hibs

Hibbyradge
23-03-2015, 06:36 AM
We may finish second, but after today, I'm not confident that we'll beat The Rangers in the play offs.

I'm even less confident that we'd beat Motherwell or whomever we'd face from the Premiership.

Thecat23
23-03-2015, 06:39 AM
I think we will finish second but Im not sure we will beat The Rangers over two legs or whoever finishes bottom. We are more than capable of winning but it's how we go about it. Need to press high and close down the opposition like we were doing before to stand any chance.

Steve20
23-03-2015, 07:02 AM
Our record against the other teams in the top half of this league is not great. Won 4, drawn 4 and lost 5. Three of those four wins were against a Rangers team with buffoons as managers.

We need to buck our ideas up to win the games needed in the playoffs.

3pm
23-03-2015, 07:10 AM
It's funny what one game does - folk last week were saying we were a certainty to go up.

23-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Hopefully Stubbs can lift the team back up from this and use it as a motivator to kick on, theres still a lot of work to be done. We were beat yesterday by a rangers team that tactically set up to stiffle our play and stop us flowing by cutting out the midfield and fouling in order to get the game stopped and give them time to get men back. That was their game plan and sadly it worked for them but we know we are more than capable of beating them so lets keep that belief. Rangers are not a good team, yes their tactics worked for them yesterday but if we meet them in the play-offs we have more than enough in us to beat them over the two legs.

Hopefully this has got rid of any complacency against that may have started to emerge so lets use it as a wake up call.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2015, 07:55 AM
It's funny what one game does - folk last week were saying we were a certainty to go up.

:agree: maybe it is just what we needed to take the edge of the complacency?

Hermit Crab
23-03-2015, 08:00 AM
It will be a test for stubbs and the players to pick themselves back up after yesterday. We can still finish 2nd but we need better performances from our so called bigger players in the last games.

Beefster
23-03-2015, 08:03 AM

As usual, the reality is somewhere between the folk that live at the extremes.

Liberal Hibby
23-03-2015, 08:34 AM
We may finish second, but after today, I'm not confident that we'll beat The Rangers in the play offs.

I'm even less confident that we'd beat Motherwell or whomever we'd face from the Premiership.

I'm slightly more worried that Rangers won't beat Motherwell or whoever is 11th

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 08:46 AM
I think all will become a bit clearer after the weekend - are we capable of bouncing back and are the huns actually finding some form at last. I'm not sure.

Billy Whizz
23-03-2015, 09:16 AM
I think all will become a bit clearer after the weekend - are we capable of bouncing back and are the huns actually finding some form at last. I'm not sure.

Its about what we do, a good win will rebuild confidence.
They've got an easy game at the weekend against a managerless Cowdenbeath

emerald green
23-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Hibs are in a real dog fight now to get out of this league. If Hibs had won yesterday they go 9 points clear of The Rangers plus 3 more in front of QOS (who are not out of it).

Instead, now The Rangers can go level on points if they win their game in hand at Ibrox against The Yams, who have nothing to play for now. I just don't see them being too concerned about doing Hibs any favours TBH, and they play the Huns twice.

It's anyone's guess who will win through the play-offs (getting second is only half way there) but with McCall in charge at Ibrox, it has just become much more difficult for Hibs IMO. Hibs haven't exactly got an easy run-in to the end of the season either.

Yesterday was a terrible result for Hibs. There is no doubt about that.

Cod Boy
23-03-2015, 11:52 AM
Hearts will beat Rangers at Ibrox

JimBHibees
23-03-2015, 12:13 PM

Agree we have a tough game at Starks park against a team we have found it difficult to beat. Cummings out anyway whether u21 or injured. Need the forwards to be better than they were and would maybe start Farid if he is anywhere near ready.

danhibees1875
23-03-2015, 07:08 PM

Hearts will want to beat them 4 times in a year (I don't think anyone other than Celtic have) and not be too bothered about giving us a slight advantage in the playoffs.

If we just worry about what we do, we'll be fine 😊

ancient hibee
23-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Hearts will pull out all the stops against Rangers in the last game-they're getting presented with the trophy and will want to put on a show.

emerald green
23-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Hearts will pull out all the stops against Rangers in the last game-they're getting presented with the trophy and will want to put on a show.

So will The Rangers (and whoever the referee is).

Ronniekirk
23-03-2015, 07:42 PM
Its about what we do, a good win will rebuild confidence.
They've got an easy game at the weekend against a managerless Cowdenbeath

I hear what your saying billy but I still can't get my head round why we didn't have confidence on Saturday Not one shot. Of note on Target am still baffled. By our ineptitude in that first half and our inability to change things .Maybe they thought they were heading for half time at 0. 0 and knew they would get instructions re how to change it second half but am still hurting at that display

Ronniekirk
23-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I know that's the party line ,but let's wait and see how the game in April goes .Its easy to say hearts will want to keep on winning but how many times have we seen Celtic win the Leauge early and then the edge just starts to go from some players and they then drop points you wouldn't expect them to .

Swedish hibee
23-03-2015, 08:03 PM
Aye we will :scarf:

portycabbage
23-03-2015, 08:05 PM
Hibs are in a real dog fight now to get out of this league. If Hibs had won yesterday they go 9 points clear of The Rangers plus 3 more in front of QOS (who are not out of it).

Instead, now The Rangers can go level on points if they win their game in hand at Ibrox against The Yams, who have nothing to play for now. I just don't see them being too concerned about doing Hibs any favours TBH, and they play the Huns twice.

It's anyone's guess who will win through the play-offs (getting second is only half way there) but with McCall in charge at Ibrox, it has just become much more difficult for Hibs IMO. Hibs haven't exactly got an easy run-in to the end of the season either.

Re the game in hand - we have a game the same weekend as they play hearts at ibrox, they catch up on their game in hand when they go to livi next month on the 15th.

I don't see hearts wanting to drop points to them, just as I don't see them wanting to lose the derby just because they've got over the finish line. It's not like they have anything else left to play for.

Alfred E Newman
23-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Re the game in hand - we have a game the same weekend as they play hearts at ibrox, they catch up on their game in hand when they go to livi next month on the 15th.

I don't see hearts wanting to drop points to them, just as I don't see them wanting to lose the derby just because they've got over the finish line. It's not like they have anything else left to play for.

Hearts will want us promoted up for the 8 or 9 points they would pick up. Without us they will be guaranteed bottom six material . :offski:

Sir David Gray
23-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Hearts will want us promoted up for the 8 or 9 points they would pick up. Without us they will be guaranteed bottom six material . :offski:

I know you've said that in jest but if I was a Hearts fan, I would be desperate for Hibs to be promoted this season, considering their record against us.

basehibby
23-03-2015, 09:26 PM

I agree with just about everything you say - we're in a dogfight alright and the play offs are a lottery really. But terrible result is overcooking it a bit. Losing on Sunday was disappointing alright but home draws against Raith and Dumbarton and losing away at Alloa - these have been the results that have made life difficult for us in this league.

BTW - :thumbsup:to the OP - exuding confidence - that's the spirit. I wish I could share it but will settle for cautious optimism :wink:

emerald green
24-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I agree with just about everything you say - we're in a dogfight alright and the play offs are a lottery really. But terrible result is overcooking it a bit. Losing on Sunday was disappointing alright but home draws against Raith and Dumbarton and losing away at Alloa - these have been the results that have made life difficult for us in this league.

BTW - :thumbsup:to the OP - exuding confidence - that's the spirit. I wish I could share it but will settle for cautious optimism :wink:

:agree: The bit in bold - I agree. I was still furious about the way Hibs had lost on Sunday when I posted that. It was just how I felt at the time.

I've also posted elsewhere a while back that Hibs 6 home draws is what has really killed us this season, so I also agree what you say above about Raith, Dumbarton, Alloa.

I really wish I was as confident as the OP. The next two or three league matches will be vital for Hibs. I live in hope. :aok:

Spike Mandela
25-03-2015, 09:24 AM
Our favourite charity robbing tax dodgers have won the league at a canter and, I'll be honest, in a fashion that I would have liked Hibs to win it. Safely promoted, no problems.

However, we're still in March and that's their season over. We have still so much to look forward to, succeed or fail. We have a semi at Hampden and possibly a final , possibly even European qualification.
Then there's the play offs and the passion, tension and excitement that will bring.

Long term for Hibs I would rather be in Hearts position but with a short term selfish view looking at this season we have a much more interesting and exciting finale to the season and ultimately with a bit of luck and skill we could end up with the same conclusion.

NAE NOOKIE
25-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Every game is a big game now, we have to get 3 points on Saturday against RR who beat a usually decent QotS 3 - 0 last night. We know we have the players, I think now we need to show we have the character.

matty_f
02-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Never in doubt.

bingo70
02-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Never in doubt.

Anyone able to find the "could we go down again" thread?......I've had a look but can't find it. Must be a few dilly posts there.

Lucius Apuleius
02-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Anyone able to find the "could we go down again" thread?......I've had a look but can't find it. Must be a few dilly posts there.

Thought of looking as well Bingo but couldn't be bothered switching the PC on. 😋

Sir David Gray
02-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Here you go.

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?284739-Could-we-go-down-again