PDA

View Full Version : Black and Blue - Paul Cannoville's story on Sky Sports

--------
22-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Just finished watching this.

Very hard to watch, but well worth watching.

PC was the first black player to play for Chelsea, back in the 1980's. Pat Nevin content.

REALLY recommend it - it's on again tomorrow at 12 noon.

Del Boy
22-03-2015, 08:17 PM
Watched it as well. Very good.

Baader
22-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Have his book of the same name. Well worth a read.

The_Exile
22-03-2015, 11:48 PM
I see Pat was the first white player to stand shoulder to shoulder with the lads that were being racially abused. Speaks volumes of Pat as a man and human being. Respect.

bodoglimt
23-03-2015, 12:57 PM
I see Pat was the first white player to stand shoulder to shoulder with the lads that were being racially abused. Speaks volumes of Pat as a man and human being. Respect.

I have the utmost respect for him as a person and as a pundit. Always the first to put up his hand if a player performs better than he thought possible.

shouldnt be surprised given his choice of football team despite hailing from the wild west

Newry Hibs
24-03-2015, 02:44 PM
Just watched it.

It's a a good (if uncomfortable) watch.

Mid to early eighties was when I was starting to go to games (Luton Town). I have to say I wan't aware of any particular racism from any away fans. Luton had a good few black players and some were idolised (Ricky Hill being the most). Even though Luton had a bad reputation for their fans (MIGs were the brand name), Chelsea fans were the absolute worst when they visited.

Bill Milne
25-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Didn't see it but I remember Canoville on TV playing for Chelsea back then. He was booed relentlessly by the Chelsea fans and left in no doubt that black players were not wanted at the Bridge. TBF this was a fairly common attitude in English football at the time, especially at places like Goodison IIRC.

JimBHibees
25-03-2015, 09:17 AM
Can remember Garth Crooks getting a hard time at ER also when he played in a friendly for Stoke. Vaguely remember Gordon Banks was playing.