PDA

View Full Version : Media Best thing to come from today & flag debate

1van Sprou7e
22-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Is this gif (http://gfycat.com/SplendidWideChihuahua)

weonlywon6-2
22-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Won't play for me but best thing today was my coca cola half time

Hannah_hfc
22-03-2015, 03:34 PM
I was sat just along from that guy. Made me wish I'd done the same when I caught the ball earlier in the game...

1van Sprou7e
22-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Won't play for me but best thing today was my coca cola half time

http://giant.gfycat.com/SplendidWideChihuahua.gif

weonlywon6-2
22-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Haha, works now mate, beats my coca cola that 😂😂

Bayern Bru
22-03-2015, 03:40 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/SplendidWideChihuahua.gif

What is it he says? I'm not the best at lipreading...

:tee hee:

DH1875
22-03-2015, 03:50 PM
Off topic and questioned this at the game but why was the rangers player aloud to play without a number on his shirt?

dp00
22-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Off topic and questioned this at the game but why was the rangers player aloud to play without a number on his shirt?

He had blood on his previous , guessing they have spare in dug out then he changed at half time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOB MARLEYS DUG
22-03-2015, 04:02 PM

"**** off!"

BoomtownHibees
22-03-2015, 04:03 PM
"**** off!"

No waaaaayyyyy

kaimendhibs
22-03-2015, 04:25 PM
😂😂

ancient hibee
22-03-2015, 04:49 PM

Pretty sure it's "have a nice day".

TheHarpy76
22-03-2015, 05:49 PM
Hilarious.

What a fantastic piece of time wasting when we were losing.

ALF TUPPER
22-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Young guy was embarrassment IMO. You're better than that pal !!

cabbageandribs1875
22-03-2015, 06:06 PM
Is this gif (http://gfycat.com/SplendidWideChihuahua)

lol, i mentioned the angry hibs fan on the match thread :greengrin

DH1875
22-03-2015, 06:46 PM
He had blood on his previous , guessing they have spare in dug out then he changed at half time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I know that but is there not a rule that shirts have to have a number on them? If they had a spare, why didnt he have to wait till they found it?

Mr White
22-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah I know that but is there not a rule that shirts have to have a number on them? If they had a spare, why didnt he have to wait till they found it?

They also got away with some particularly blatant time wasting at 2 throw-ins while they waited for him to get back on.

exHIBition
22-03-2015, 06:52 PM
If this has already been posted apologies and delete away!

http://balls.ie/football/255379-angry-hibs-fan/

Kato
22-03-2015, 06:57 PM

In a world where pig-sickening decisions have been given to those grade A welts for decades, people have to live with their moronic bigotry daily and their financial corruption has seen them win undeserved trophies I think it's an understandable action and a small victory. Up thum.

leggeto
22-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Everyone was angry not just him,I remember that happening today,think he got a cheer for that

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Everyone was angry not just him,I remember that happening today,think he got a cheer for that

Lovin' it :greengrin

emerald green
22-03-2015, 07:07 PM

I can only speak for myself, but the lad didn't embarrass me at all. That was nothing compared to the abuse Hibs players have had to put up with at Castle Greyskull down through the years.

Fenriz
22-03-2015, 07:10 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/03/22/swearing-football-fan-vine_n_6918738.html had some media attention! This happened a couple of times this afternoon, did the same guy catch the ball twice??

rcarter1
22-03-2015, 07:12 PM
I can only speak for myself, but the lad didn't embarrass me at all. That was nothing compared to the abuse Hibs players have had to put up with at Castle Greyskull down through the years.

Which is nothing compared to the abuse Hibs players have had to put up with at Easter Road…. :devil:

Boyle89
22-03-2015, 07:22 PM
The guy should be given a medal for being so polite.

givescotlandfreedom
22-03-2015, 07:25 PM
Childish but I thought it was funny!

Hannah_hfc
22-03-2015, 08:00 PM
The videos now on "The Sport Bible " on Facebook, the irony of all the comments of Rangers fans calling for him to be arrested and banned etc. They should take a look at their own support...

johnbc70
22-03-2015, 08:07 PM
The videos now on "The Sport Bible " on Facebook, the irony of all the comments of Rangers fans calling for him to be arrested and banned etc. They should take a look at their own support...

Crazy, 1.7M views already!

ALF TUPPER
23-03-2015, 09:21 AM
No need to lower himself to their level IMO. GGTTH

Nando™
23-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Moron.

Steve20
23-03-2015, 09:26 AM
No need for it. And wasn't even funny in the slightest.

DarlingtonHibee
23-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Having suffered at Ibrox, the Huns are no angels, but I would be amazed if the guy does not lose his season, given the publicity. LD and co must be aware.

DarrenSQH
23-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Having suffered at Ibrox, the Huns are no angels, but I would be amazed if the guy does not lose his season, given the publicity. LD and co must be aware.

Not sure if your at the wind up there.

ER will be a lonely place once everyone who tells people to F*** Off are banned.

southsider
23-03-2015, 09:53 AM
We had a young fullback called Kevin McKee attacked on the park at ibrox. The poor lad was a promising player but he was never quite the same again. What did the SFA do ? Right, SFA.

tanfield
23-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Childish and cringey

Frazerbob
23-03-2015, 09:57 AM
Jeepers, some folk need to chill out a bit. It was a bit of harmless banter. The lad wasn't being racist, homophobic, sectarian, he wasn't throwing a coin or a smoke bomb, he was just giving an opposition player a bit of grief. Look at the abuse the Jambos dish out from the front of the Wheatfield FFS. Between this thread and the one that's questioning Hibs fans booing a Rangers player, is it any wonder Easter Road isn't exactly a fortress!

Frazerbob
23-03-2015, 09:58 AM

Get a grip.

cabbageandribs1875
23-03-2015, 09:59 AM

awk stop it fgs

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2d/16/94/2d1694ba92050bc3f70c2651a14a04ca.jpg

Andy74
23-03-2015, 09:59 AM
The crowd aren't ballboys, he is entitled to what he likes with the ball. Shouting at the player isn't really unusual.

I've always wanted to hold onto a ball or chuck it the other way from a Hearts or Rangers player so I thought it was quite funny.

emerald green
23-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Are you seriously wanting a young Hibs supporter to lose his season ticket for that? Get real. You would be better saving your criticism for the sickening songs and chanting coming from The Rangers end on Sunday. The worst it's been for a long time IMO.

Jeepers, some folk need to chill out a bit. It was a bit of harmless banter. The lad wasn't being racist, homophobic, sectarian, he wasn't throwing a coin or a smoke bomb, he was just giving an opposition player a bit of grief. Look at the abuse the Jambos dish out from the front of the Wheatfield FFS. Between this thread and the one that's questioning Hibs fans booing a Rangers player, is it any wonder Easter Road isn't exactly a fortress!

:agree: Just be nice and quiet and let them walk all over us. Aye right.

Big_Franck
23-03-2015, 10:52 AM
I thought it was quite funny to be honest.

Although it did just help them to waste even more time.

Brightside
23-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Those fans waving Irish flags are as revolting as the clowns in the away end with Union Jacks and Red Hands. Get a grip FFS. Its supposed to be a game of football. I'd ban every single one of them.

The_Exile
23-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Correct, didn't one of our players have a golf ball with nails through it launched at them in the early 90's? Pretty sure it was Ibrox.

Bad Martini
23-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Thousands of people sing the usual bile - nobody gives a toss and the wider world accepts it...

One boy shouts **** off, having watched our team uncharacteristically let us down and shows some frustration and the world is in uproar/earth stops spinning/armageddon hath cometh etc.

Words fail me.

FranckSuzy
23-03-2015, 11:30 AM
He deserves a medal, IMHO :duck::devil:

bigwheel
23-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Those fans waving Irish flags are as revolting as the clowns in the away end with Union Jacks and Red Hands. Get a grip FFS. Its supposed to be a game of football. I'd ban every single one of them.

apart from ignoring our heritage..why would a flag bother anyone?? and I'm refer to either sets of flags here... it's simply a flag, ignore it if you don't like it..

emerald green
23-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Correct, didn't one of our players have a golf ball with nails through it launched at them in the early 90's? Pretty sure it was Ibrox.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Thousands of people sing the usual bile - nobody gives a toss and the wider world accepts it...

One boy shouts **** off, having watched our team uncharacteristically let us down and shows some frustration and the world is in uproar/earth stops spinning/armageddon hath cometh etc.

Words fail me.

:agree: A young Hibs fan shows a bit of passion / support and some are on criticising him and even suggesting he loses his season ticket (if he's got one).

Compare that to Derek Riordan being confronted on the pitch at Tynecastle, and the s*** Hibs players have to take every time they play at that ground for example, and it's nothing.

lyonhibs
23-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Not especially big or clever, but absolutely nothing worth getting one's knickers in a twist over.

KeithTheHibby
23-03-2015, 12:12 PM

Lose his season ticket? Why? What has he done wrong exactly?

Cabbage East
23-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Good on the boy.

Brightside
23-03-2015, 12:39 PM
apart from ignoring our heritage..why would a flag bother anyone?? and I'm refer to either sets of flags here... it's simply a flag, ignore it if you don't like it..

Dont be silly. Its obivously not just a flag. Its meant to be provocative. Ive not seen an Irish falg at our games all season (bar the same clowns when we play Hearts)...yet Rangers turn up and surprise surprise people are now going on about their heritage. What a load of bollix. No national falgs should be allowed anywhere near a non national football match.

bigwheel
23-03-2015, 01:03 PM
Dont be silly. Its obivously not just a flag. Its meant to be provocative. Ive not seen an Irish falg at our games all season (bar the same clowns when we play Hearts)...yet Rangers turn up and surprise surprise people are now going on about their heritage. What a load of bollix. No national falgs should be allowed anywhere near a non national football match.

Grown man (I'm assuming ) troubled by flags at football game. Why bother ??

Anyone has a right to bring an Irish flag to any Hibs game. It's our heritage- and frankly Rangers can bring any national flag they wish - do you feel the same about the Polish flag in the east ? Who cares - it's not what i choose to do , but if anyone wants to bring a flag related to the heritage of their club - they should ...and as for provocation- why?? It's just a flag ...

easty
23-03-2015, 01:12 PM
A Hibs.net flag debate, it's been a while since I last saw one.

For me, all people bringing national flags (home and away ends) to Easter Road should be hooked up to a lie detector test and asked why they've brought it. A pass gets you access to the game and flag waving fun, a fail gets you wrapped up in the flag and set on fire. It's fair.:flag:

CockneyRebel
23-03-2015, 01:18 PM

Makes them as bad as the Union Jack wavers IMO.

woodythehibee
23-03-2015, 01:40 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. Nothing wrong with trying to intimidate the opposition.

The_Sauz
23-03-2015, 01:45 PM
I have seen one or two Irish flags at the games that both Hearts and The Rangers are not playing, plus there use to be a mix (Scotland,Green & White, Rep Ireland)flag that was hung up at the side of the FF stand :agree: You could also add the St Patrick's Branch flag is the original flag of Ireland!
Why don't you write to Hibs asking them to ban all fans that go to a game with a non Hibs flag because you feel it's offensive :rolleyes:

The_Sauz
23-03-2015, 01:51 PM
So what about the fans that teams that play in Red Whit & Blue (Stanraer, Cowdenbeath etc) and use the union jack flag at a team flag?

southsider
23-03-2015, 01:56 PM

Nobody can wave a Union Jack. The union flag becomes a union jack whilst being flown from a ship/boats mast at sea. The huns are welcome to it. The other point about the Irish flag being part of our heritage is technically wrong also as that flag was only flown by the Irish Free State after independence in 1923. Go back further if you wish.

Turkish Green
23-03-2015, 02:15 PM
It would appear that flag waving is only an issue when both Sevco's and the Yam's hordes visit ER. I remember over at the PBS under Romanov that all flags (and banners) were banned and confiscated by their security. Not sure if this is still the case.

Personally, I see no reason for Union flags (or tricolours) to be waved except to antagonize the opposition. Which obviously it did yesterday.

I can see why security personnel would be reluctant to confiscate a flag from among the Sevco support but the police just stand by and watch under their don't upset the bears policy.

Brightside
23-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Grown man (I'm assuming ) troubled by flags at football game. Why bother ??

Anyone has a right to bring an Irish flag to any Hibs game. It's our heritage- and frankly Rangers can bring any national flag they wish - do you feel the same about the Polish flag in the east ? Who cares - it's not what i choose to do , but if anyone wants to bring a flag related to the heritage of their club - they should ...and as for provocation- why?? It's just a flag ...

No they dont have a right. Its Hibs that are playing - Not Ireland V England. or Ireland V Ulster. The only reason for having that flag at the game is to wind up the Rangers fans...hence why they were flapping it in their direction. Stop hiding behing heritage. Its heritage that allows bigotry to continue to ruin football in this country.

JimBHibees
23-03-2015, 02:20 PM
No they dont have a right. Its Hibs that are playing - Not Ireland V England. or Ireland V Ulster. The only reason for having that flag at the game is to wind up the Rangers fans...hence why they were flapping it in their direction. Stop hiding behing heritage. Its heritage that allows bigotry to continue to ruin football in this country.

Fantastic point. Hugely depressing that we are still being subjected to the same old bigoted dirges, years and years and years and years after they should have been banned from existence. WTF has it got to do with football.

Andy74
23-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Only in Scotland would this conversation take place, that's the depressing thing.

We've allowed our heritage to be linked to someone else's problem. Making that link continually when anything remotely Irish is brought up is just as bad as being a direct part of the bigotry.

Kato
23-03-2015, 02:37 PM
We've allowed our heritage to be linked to someone else's problem.

Couldn't agree more. I remember when the Michael Whelahan Bus started up someone from the Hibs Club said the name "was too connected to Celtic". I don't what world he lived in but it's a weird one.

silverhibee
23-03-2015, 03:22 PM
We had a young fullback called Kevin McKee attacked on the park at ibrox. The poor lad was a promising player but he was never quite the same again. What did the SFA do ? Right, SFA.

Was there not a story a few years back where a Rangers youth player was trying to sue Hibs for a off the ball incident during a game at Murray Park where the young lads football career was ended that night.

sleeping giant
23-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Is that Jeffers ?

jacomo
23-03-2015, 03:41 PM

No it's not. It's bigots determined to be bigots that allows bigotry to continue. We can acknowledge and celebrate our heritage without bringing back slave trading or public executions, you know.

The Union Jack (yeah I know pedants) has been rehabilitated in recent years - now when you see one in London you don't automatically associate it with the NF or BNP. This is a good thing.

It wasn't that long ago that pubs stuck 'no Irish' signs in the window - now clubs like Hibs can celebrate a shared Celtic heritage (even if the tricolour is historically incorrect). This is also a good thing.

I don't mind Huns waving their flags. I do mind their bigoted and sectarian views.

Hannah_hfc
23-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Union jacks and tri colours, yet no scottish flags at a game between two scottish clubs. Sad times.

CockneyRebel
23-03-2015, 04:15 PM
]Nobody can wave a Union Jack. The union flag becomes a union jack whilst being flown from a ship/boats mast at sea.[/B] The huns are welcome to it. The other point about the Irish flag being part of our heritage is technically wrong also as that flag was only flown by the Irish Free State after independence in 1923. Go back further if you wish.

You need to get out more.

matty_f
23-03-2015, 04:33 PM
If only domains had had the decency to accompany the verbal volley with a well aimed pie.

Football crowds aren't what they used to be.

Personally I take my hat off to the boy. We tend to give our own players a harder time than we give the opponents these days so I'm delighted to see this inspiring young chap bucking the trend.

Andy74
23-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Union jacks and tri colours, yet no scottish flags at a game between two scottish clubs. Sad times.

Why though? Flags and stuff tend to celebrate the things that differentiate you or maybe are in support of a player or something. Waving a Scottish flag doesn't really say anything.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2015, 04:51 PM
Well done to the lad, i'd have done exactly the same. :top marks

Found this earlier, its clear someone is not very happy about yesterday's result. :greengrin

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=416748598506908&set=o.442071502471897&type=2&theater

Oscar T Grouch
23-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Smh, 3.5k the rangers fans sing their sectarian bile, no one bats an eyelid. One wee laddie tells a the rangers player to eff off and everyone goes crazy. Personally I've spat worse language at various players and officials at the football, I have calmed down a bit in my old age but I still like a wee swear. if you're offended by flags or swearing then that's your problem, I find poverty, war and unchecked capitalism offensive and that's my problem, hey ho.

Glorious St Pat
23-03-2015, 05:22 PM
If there was ever a club who could rightfully fly an Irish flag then it is our own. Don't let our heritage get muddled with our peoples ignorance and intolerance of our roots. For what it's worth, I too brought the tricolour to the game but I had nothing to pin it to a barrier.

For what it's worth - prefer the Erin go Brag flag. Id imagine there have been Irish flags in our support for the past 100 years and I'd expect there to be more in the next 100. Get over it.

Nando™
23-03-2015, 05:23 PM
I believe many have missed the point entirely. It's not what he said, it's what he did, ie throwing the ball away, wasting time while we were losing.

Hannah_hfc
23-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Why though? Flags and stuff tend to celebrate the things that differentiate you or maybe are in support of a player or something. Waving a Scottish flag doesn't really say anything.
I.e it doesn't wind anyone up?

I get your point it doesn't really say anything, I was comparing the situation to a match down south where you would only really see English flags with supporters branches normally listed on them. You don't see tricolours or scottish/ Welsh flags flown about to try and cause aggro.

Hannah_hfc
23-03-2015, 05:32 PM
I believe many have missed the point entirely. It's not what he said, it's what he did, ie throwing the ball away, wasting time while we were losing.
In my memory it happened at nil nil, a few minutes before Rangers went 1 nil up.

Nando™
23-03-2015, 05:35 PM
In my memory it happened at nil nil, a few minutes before Rangers went 1 nil up.

If that is indeed the case then I don't really care anymore and good on him.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2015, 05:39 PM
Only in Scotland could 3000 people sing the line '**** the Pope and The Vatican' or songs like 'Derrys Walls', 'Fathers Advice' and God knows what else yet one young lad telling someone to '**** off' and 2 or 3 folk with Irish flags are getting all the attention.

Pathetic.

Keith_M
23-03-2015, 05:41 PM
if you're offended by flags or swearing then that's your problem, I find poverty, war and unchecked capitalism offensive and that's my problem, hey ho.

I'm much more offended by smelly feet.

emerald green
23-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Nope. Not nearly as much time as was wasted by The Rangers players throughout the entire game. Something else the dreadful referee failed to take any action on.

If you're worried about a young lad throwing the ball away - I think it maybe wasted about 10 seconds - you've got your priorities all wrong.

stanton_4
23-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Hilarious.

What a fantastic piece of time wasting when we were losing.

Totally agree. When I first saw it I did have a wee laugh to myself but after some thought I think we should be better than this.

Phil D. Rolls
23-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Been to five or six games at Easter Road, since the turn of the year. It's the first time I've seen a tricolour getting waved at opposition fans.

Interesting time to celebrate the club's heritage - when visited by Rangers.

Just an observation, no problem with the flag being flown, we're entitled to probably. Just that it's a bit of a coincidence that it appeared when it did - don't people care about our Irish roots the rest of the time?

Phil D. Rolls
23-03-2015, 06:33 PM
If there was ever a club who could rightfully fly an Irish flag then it is our own. Don't let our heritage get muddled with our peoples ignorance and intolerance of our roots. For what it's worth, I too brought the tricolour to the game but I had nothing to pin it to a barrier.

For what it's worth - prefer the Erin go Brag flag. Id imagine there have been Irish flags in our support for the past 100 years and I'd expect there to be more in the next 100. Get over it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Albert O'Einstein

I saw the video of the St. Pat's presentations, and most of them seem to live on this planet.

Galahibby
23-03-2015, 06:35 PM
In a world where pig-sickening decisions have been given to those grade A welts for decades, people have to live with their moronic bigotry daily and their financial corruption has seen them win undeserved trophies I think it's an understandable action and a small victory. Up thum.

Totally irrelevant, but I'm just back from Berlin and saw this. I had a wee chuckle cos it made me think of Hibs.net. Only place I've heard this expression :aok:

Fenriz
23-03-2015, 06:54 PM
A lot of the debate on this thread is a result of the relatively modern phenomenon of a few seconds of footage being recorded and reshown across the world on internet forums. If, by chance, someone had happened to catch my reaction to Dje Dje's misplaced pass yesterday, there could have been a 4 page thread on why Hibs fans get on the back of their players, lose their temper during big games etc. As it is, it's a few seconds of hot headedness from this lad that usually would have been forgotten about after the match are instead being praised/criticised in great detail way after the event.

leggeto
23-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I prefer the green and black Union jack flag ;)

Sir David Gray
23-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I don't think its presence should be banned (nor should any other national flag) but anyone who states that the Irish flag is flown against Sevco and Hearts to celebrate our heritage is kidding themselves on.

It's flown to antagonise, wind up and provoke a reaction from the opposition.

Swedish hibee
23-03-2015, 08:06 PM
Showed it to a few Swede's at work- they loved it :faf:

bigwheel
23-03-2015, 08:08 PM

if you get angry about different flags at a football match, perhaps you need to ask why ? Just because you see an Irish flag as some sort of political or bigoted statement , doesn't mean that everyone else does - and by the way , if people bring these flags and union jacks to a game to wind people up - so what ? It's clearly working on you ...for me - nah - it s just a bloomin flag ..

Sir David Gray
23-03-2015, 08:09 PM

I assume this is a joke. :confused:

If not, I'm glad you're not Leeann Dempster.

Glorious St Pat
23-03-2015, 08:39 PM
I saw the video of the St. Pat's presentations, and most of them seem to live on this planet.

Been over this before - don't besmirch the branch name as my post was my own view. Thanks Phil - another moniker to add to my collection - from 'maverick' to 'alien'!

majorhibs
23-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Only in Scotland could 3000 people sing the line '**** the Pope and The Vatican' or songs like 'Derrys Walls', 'Fathers Advice' and God knows what else yet one young lad telling someone to '**** off' and 2 or 3 folk with Irish flags are getting all the attention.

Pathetic.

Spot on! As it's always been with the the huns. We've all been young & acted on impulse. But some now they've got keyboards which allow them this miraculous thing they think of as knowledge but others reckon is hindsight, are heavy & hard on the slating. Evryone, thats EVERYONE, has done things, especially in youth, on impulse. Just didnae have the judge & jury fi here watching over & criticising them at the time. :flag:

Hermit Crab
23-03-2015, 08:57 PM
Were they singing ten German bombers yesterday as well?

Nando™
23-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Nope. Not nearly as much time as was wasted by The Rangers players throughout the entire game. Something else the dreadful referee failed to take any action on.

If you're worried about a young lad throwing the ball away - I think it maybe wasted about 10 seconds - you've got your priorities all wrong.

I'm not worried about anything.

Sir David Gray
23-03-2015, 09:13 PM

Yes, then at the end of the song, a load of them proceeded to wave their arms about pretending to be aeroplanes.

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2015, 09:52 PM

How do we celebrate the Scottish part of Hibs heritage ?

majorhibs
23-03-2015, 10:14 PM

However you want Sherlock. It's up to you how you celebrate or get offended, as you & me & everybody else kent in the 70s & 80s & forward, just nowadays wi t'net it's so so easy to become the irate red faced offended brigade that what went before at fitba from us before who paid our money & kept our teams going in the dark days before worldwideweb became available, somehow managed to not only not get get twisted out of shape at everything we didnae like at the fitba OR on websites, but we actually kicked on & had a "whisper it" occasional good time at the game, without "whisper it" getting offended at anything, at all, for the whole, stonking (when we got a result), complete barry day oot! & we never wanted to sue anyone either. Imagine that! Hibs are Scottish with Irish heritage. Boo hoo for some! Whatever.

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-03-2015, 10:51 PM

It's back to being one of their favourites again

The Pointer
23-03-2015, 10:59 PM
For what it's worth after all that's gone before, I was just along from the lad and saw him chuck the ball away but didn't see him saying 'hello'. Thought it was dead funny and a moment of mirth amongst the madness. After all the time wasting by the Huns I don't think it made any difference to Hibs and we didn't look like scoring by that time.

What was funnier still was the old chap behind us giving it tight (and very loudly) to Zaliukas every time he came near us. He (Zaliukas) had a grin all over his face. Black got it as well when he came on.

leggeto
23-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Does anyone else still chuckle watching that wee clip,or is it just me

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2015, 11:25 PM
However you want Sherlock. It's up to you how you celebrate or get offended, as you & me & everybody else kent in the 70s & 80s & forward, just nowadays wi t'net it's so so easy to become the irate red faced offended brigade that what went before at fitba from us before who paid our money & kept our teams going in the dark days before worldwideweb became available, somehow managed to not only not get get twisted out of shape at everything we didnae like at the fitba OR on websites, but we actually kicked on & had a "whisper it" occasional good time at the game, without "whisper it" getting offended at anything, at all, for the whole, stonking (when we got a result), complete barry day oot! & we never wanted to sue anyone either. Imagine that! Hibs are Scottish with Irish heritage. Boo hoo for some! Whatever.

Ah think that's what they call teaching yer granny tae suck eggs Watson.

As for the highlighted bit ....... Who would that be I wonder? Don't think I've ever met a Hibby who has a problem with our Irish heritage. Some of us think there's a line to be drawn between being aware of your heritage and us being a diet Celtic, some folk don't like that .. boo hoo for them!

givescotlandfreedom
24-03-2015, 05:09 AM

So Hearts won WWI and Rangers WWII. That's that cleared up.

Judas Iscariot
24-03-2015, 05:53 AM
So the lad goes to give the Hun welt the ball but then throws it away from him & tells him to "**** off"?!

And there's folk on here moaning about that?!

Boy should've been made a member of the board 1st thing Monday morning :agree:

Another partial "flag debate" too...

Why do people get wound up/emotional/knickers get twisted about what flag some fans, on both sides bring to games?!

As long as it's not racist, sexist, abusive etc then who cares?! I mean really!! Is that the worst thing going in life just now!?

Of course certain Hibs fans bring out flags to wind the Huns & Mini Huns up, GOOD!

Soon we'll all be sitting together enjoying prawn sandwiches and sharing blankets over our knees at games at this rate...

macca70
24-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Dam Busters
Rule Brittania
No Surrender

Just 3 songs that were loud and clear. I really don't get it. What place do any of these songs have at a football match.

gorgie greens
24-03-2015, 06:28 AM
Dam Busters
Rule Brittania
No Surrender

Just 3 songs that were loud and clear. I really don't get it. What place do any of these songs have at a football match.

They would be as well wear three lions football tops ,oh silly me they do,well **** off to England you

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 06:55 AM
Been to five or six games at Easter Road, since the turn of the year. It's the first time I've seen a tricolour getting waved at opposition fans.

Interesting time to celebrate the club's heritage - when visited by Rangers.

Just an observation, no problem with the flag being flown, we're entitled to probably. Just that it's a bit of a coincidence that it appeared when it did - don't people care about our Irish roots the rest of the time?

I went to the Arbroath game and sat in the West stand. A young lad in front of us had a tricolour and waved it about a few times. I'm assuming he was celebrating our heritage rather than seeking to goad the notoriously sectarian Red Lichties fans?

A bit sad that some feel the need to mention Celtic-lite etc in these type of discussions. They play in to the hands of the apologists. Separate the issues, treat each club on their own merits and isolate sectarianism. We are not part of the problem.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 07:25 AM
So the lad goes to give the Hun welt the ball but then throws it away from him & tells him to "**** off"?!

And there's folk on here moaning about that?!

Boy should've been made a member of the board 1st thing Monday morning :agree:

Another partial "flag debate" too...

Why do people get wound up/emotional/knickers get twisted about what flag some fans, on both sides bring to games?!

As long as it's not racist, sexist, abusive etc then who cares?! I mean really!! Is that the worst thing going in life just now!?

Of course certain Hibs fans bring out flags to wind the Huns & Mini Huns up, GOOD!

Soon we'll all be sitting together enjoying prawn sandwiches and sharing blankets over our knees at games at this rate...

It is abusive thats the point. The irish flag was only brought as we were playing the "huns". It certainly wasnt there when we played Dumbarton, or Cowden.... Thats for me is just as bad as all the digusting chanting.

The heritage bull is just a cover up for trying to incite the rangers fans. "we have a right to fly the irish flag" No we dont. WE ARE NOT IRISH. If they really want to fly that flag so much go and support an Irish team. BTW I'd also ban them at Celtic. There is ZERO need for any fans to be flying a national flag at league games.

We dont have a leg to stand on with the chanting if we allow the same activity to happen with our own support. Its 2015 FFS.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 07:28 AM
I went to the Arbroath game and sat in the West stand. A young lad in front of us had a tricolour and waved it about a few times. I'm assuming he was celebrating our heritage rather than seeking to goad the notoriously sectarian Red Lichties fans?

A bit sad that some feel the need to mention Celtic-lite etc in these type of discussions. They play in to the hands of the apologists. Separate the issues, treat each club on their own merits and isolate sectarianism. We are not part of the problem.

I was at the Arbroath game. I sit in the West Lower near the away end. I've never seen a tricolour there this season. If i did I'd ask for it to be removed.

Pretty Boy
24-03-2015, 07:45 AM
I was at the Arbroath game. I sit in the West Lower near the away end. I've never seen a tricolour there this season. If i did I'd ask for it to be removed.

On what grounds?

easty
24-03-2015, 08:06 AM
On what grounds?

Just Easter Road, other teams can sort out their own problems...

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Been over this before - don't besmirch the branch name as my post was my own view. Thanks Phil - another moniker to add to my collection - from 'maverick' to 'alien'!

I wasn't besmirching the branch name. Apologies if anyone thought I was.

Perhaps a user name that doesn't have the branch name in it would prevent confusion?

You clearly believe in the issues you stand up for, I wonder if the way you put them across can put people off listening though.

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2015, 08:19 AM
It is abusive thats the point. The irish flag was only brought as we were playing the "huns". It certainly wasnt there when we played Dumbarton, or Cowden.... Thats for me is just as bad as all the digusting chanting.

The heritage bull is just a cover up for trying to incite the rangers fans. "we have a right to fly the irish flag" No we dont. WE ARE NOT IRISH. If they really want to fly that flag so much go and support an Irish team. BTW I'd also ban them at Celtic. There is ZERO need for any fans to be flying a national flag at league games.

We dont have a leg to stand on with the chanting if we allow the same activity to happen with our own support. Its 2015 FFS.

There's a Polish flag that flies in the East every week. I think it's OK for people to proclaim their identity, but if they are that proud of their roots, why not fly it every week.

I think only flying the Irish flag when we play Rangers and Hearts is quite insulting to modern day Irish people. I wonder how they would feel about their nation being portrayed as backward looking and bigoted.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 08:48 AM
There's a Polish flag that flies in the East every week. I think it's OK for people to proclaim their identity, but if they are that proud of their roots, why not fly it every week.

I think only flying the Irish flag when we play Rangers and Hearts is quite insulting to modern day Irish people. I wonder how they would feel about their nation being portrayed as backward looking and bigoted.

I'm going to guess that the Polish flag is from a bunch of Polish lads that now support Hibs. Maybe all these Irish people that want to fly their flag can have a wee section in the East too? I'm sure they must actually be Irish...that can be the only reason for having that flag. :aok:

Phil D. Rolls
24-03-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm going to guess that the Polish flag is from a bunch of Polish lads that now support Hibs. Maybe all these Irish people that want to fly their flag can have a wee section in the East too? I'm sure they must actually be Irish...that can be the only reason for having that flag. :aok:

My thoughts exactly - the club should be reaching out to all sections of the community.:aok:

Frazerbob
24-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Maybe the guy with the Irish flag wasn't at any other games and only goes the the "big" games, like many others?

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 08:58 AM

Are you inherently anti Irish or in any way ashamed of the clubs roots? Just thought we could clarify on that one?

What activity are you referring to, is there something that links a tricolour at Arbroath with sectarianism in your book? Who are this mysterious "they" . I thought Hibs were a family of diverse views and backgrounds with one common factor, we support the same football team.

Andy74
24-03-2015, 09:00 AM

Sorry but this sort of attitude is why there continues to be a problem.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 09:14 AM
Are you inherently anti Irish or in any way ashamed of the clubs roots? Just thought we could clarify on that one?

What activity are you referring to, is there something that links a tricolour at Arbroath with sectarianism in your book? Who are this mysterious "they" . I thought Hibs were a family of diverse views and backgrounds with one common factor, we support the same football team.

I'm pro football. Everything else is just a distraction.

I'm not anti Irish - some of my best friends etc etc.

I've not yet seen one valid reason for people flying an Irish flag at a Hibs game. In exactly the same way as there is no valid reason for a Rangers fan to fly an Ulster flag.

CockneyRebel
24-03-2015, 10:09 AM
I prefer the green and black Union jack flag ;)

Now you'll only upset Southsider - he's explained that you can't say Union Jack in that context. Consider your wrist slapped.

CockneyRebel
24-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Well said

silverhibee
24-03-2015, 10:27 AM

Why, who are you to decide what flags people should and shouldn't bring to ER, what about the Polish flag that is normally in the FF stand, think you would be the one who will get removed if you go about asking stewards to have flags removed.

What flags do Hibernian FC fly on the stadium, do they meet with your approval.

silverhibee
24-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Just Easter Road, other teams can sort out their own problems...

Tee hee Easty. :greengrin

silverhibee
24-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Could have been over from Ireland watching the Rugby the day before and decided to go to ER on the Sunday.

I will ask you one question.

Is it illegal to bring National flags in to Easter Road.?

Brightside
24-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Could have been over from Ireland watching the Rugby the day before and decided to go to ER on the Sunday.

I will ask you one question.

Is it illegal to bring National flags in to Easter Road.?

Fine - carry on then. and let others fly red hands etc. and let them sing what they want... all part of their heritage after all.

Keith_M
24-03-2015, 11:17 AM
There seems to be some (understandable) confusion about some of the Flags in the Hibs End yesterday.

They were actually flags of the Ivory Coast, in tribute to Franck Dja Djedje

Irish Flag

Ivory Coast Flag

Happy to clear that up :greengrin

superfurryhibby
24-03-2015, 11:17 AM
Fine - carry on then. and let others fly red hands etc. and let them sing what they want... all part of their heritage after all.

I keep saying in relation to the bigger problem with sectarianism, we all need to isolate and treat each issue individually and on it's own merits. The alternative colludes with those who say we can never eradicate these problems in Scotland.

This means not just lumping Celtic and Rangers together and seeing the bigotry as being inseparably linked. That lends strength to them. Equally, the sectarian issues at our neighbours in Gorgie. They need addressed in their own right and not in some way linked to anything that happens at ER.

Societies can change their attitudes. Look at the race. 40 years ago it was acceptable to have guys like Jim Davidson cracking racist jokes on prime time tv or a love they neighbour attempt at comedy ( even if some do say it was intended to be ironic). No longer acceptable.

We are striving to diminish this blight and ensuring that we grasp the issues is part of the solution.

silverhibee
24-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Do you think when Benji and Zemmama played for us that it was a bunch of Morracan guys that just happened to come along and wave the flag of there country and supported Hibs, no chance, were you appalled at the Hibs supporters wearing Fez hats at the cup final.

silverhibee
24-03-2015, 11:31 AM

Answer the question that i asked will you.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 11:48 AM
No its not illegal per se. So as i said just carry on.

Never move on. Explain to generations after after generations why someone thinks its required.

Its got nothing to do with Ireland and everything to do with trying to incite.

Brightside
24-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Do you think when Benji and Zemmama played for us that it was a bunch of Morracan guys that just happened to come along and wave the flag of there country and supported Hibs, no chance, were you appalled at the Hibs supporters wearing Fez hats at the cup final.

Thats just a daft comparison... That was to support the morrocan players. And it wasnt trying to incite opposing fans.

Its not about the flag its about why the are flying it!

Pretty Boy
24-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Ok folks I appreciate this is something people feel passionately about.

However we have had these arguments repeatedly for the last 15 years and the same stuff is coming up again and again. If people still have the energy for it after all that time I think it's fair to say there's not much common ground. Probably time to agree to disagree.

Thread closed.