PDA

View Full Version : Rather now than in the playoffs

Diclonius
22-03-2015, 02:15 PM
We're still 2nd on merit and if we win all our remaining games we'll stay there. We've proven we can beat Rangers more often than not - one poor performance in almost four months doesn't break our season.

Defeat today was hard to take but it's still in our hands.

Matt92
22-03-2015, 02:16 PM
This.

Nando™
22-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Yup, the lessons we learn from this will be absolutely crucial.

Smartie
22-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Good post(s).

We've shown signs of complacency throughout the season. I think we've needed a bit of a shock (but not one that we can't come back from).

This might be the best thing that could have happened.

rcarter1
22-03-2015, 02:31 PM
Yup, the lessons we learn from this will be absolutely crucial.

This. The key being learning the right lessons. No way they have better players than we do. We've got to want it, and have the smarts to take it. No more 'we pass really well and look pretty' garbage. This is the business end and its all about fighting and winning.

weonlywon6-2
22-03-2015, 02:33 PM
Bad day at the office, Rangers were poor today and we shouldn't fear them but we need to step up

SeanWilson
22-03-2015, 02:36 PM
We're still 2nd on merit and if we win all our remaining games we'll stay there. We've proven we can beat Rangers more often than not - one poor performance in almost four months doesn't break our season.

Perhaps, however I am far more concerned that they now have a half decent manager who is willing to play with the formation to hurt a team. We have done fairly well all season against any team who comes to play (Rangers 442 for instance), because that allows us to play.... When a team sets up to frustrate, more often than not, we draw/lose - couple that with our tendency to chuck it in big games - it's squeeky bum time!

Pete
22-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Bad day, lessons learned and we move with it still in our hands.

Raith will pay for this.

emerald green
22-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Today was a reality check for any Hibs supporter that thought Hibs would secure 2nd place easily (never mind win a play-off).

I've always maintained The Rangers would be who Hibs would have to overcome to then get a crack at a SPFL team. Judging by today, Hibs are in for a dog fight and it ain't going to be easy.

The Rangers were clearly better organised and motivated today than of late, and that I believe was due to McCall's influence.

I was very disappointed with Hibs performance today, and yes The Rangers used every trick in the book - McCall again - ably supported by an appalling display by one of Scotland's so-called top referees. I've not seen the 2nd goal, but surely there was a foul on the Hibs player leading up to the goal. Why do I bother?

22-03-2015, 03:24 PM
Hopefully its cut out an complacency we might have developed against the huns.

Andy74
22-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Bad day, lessons learned and we move with it still in our hands.

Raith will pay for this.

Today showed why I'd argued it's not really been in our hands whilst Rangers could influence our result against them, which they did.

We could win all our games not though and not get second if Rangers score more goals so it's certainly not in our hands.

Phil D. Rolls
22-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Perhaps, however I am far more concerned that they now have a half decent manager who is willing to play with the formation to hurt a team. We have done fairly well all season against any team who comes to play (Rangers 442 for instance), because that allows us to play.... When a team sets up to frustrate, more often than not, we draw/lose - couple that with our tendency to chuck it in big games - it's squeeky bum time!

My frustration was that we couldn't take advantage of their lack of fitness this time. They were done in after an hour.

This may be a big factor if they have to play more games than us in the play offs.

IMO they are going to start picking up injuries soon.

Phil D. Rolls
22-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Today showed why I'd argued it's not really been in our hands whilst Rangers could influence our result against them, which they did.

We could win all our games not though and not get second if Rangers score more goals so it's certainly not in our hands.

They got lucky today. I think this is a blip in a downward spiral.

Put it this way, today was a game they couldn't lose.

Pete
22-03-2015, 03:37 PM

So it's still in both our hands. Or out of both our hands. Or both?

22-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Unfortunately what today does is give that mob a lift and give them the knowledge that we are beatable which is a boost for them if we have to play them in a play-off. If we had beaten them again they would have had a lot more fear going into a play-off with us.

ballengeich
22-03-2015, 03:56 PM

The Rangers were clearly better organised and motivated today than of late, and that I believe was due to McCall's influence.

McCall got the better of Stubbs today. His formation of a back three with the full backs pushing up meant that our full backs didn't get forward as they usually do. Without them putting in crosses we had little or no width and were trying to pass through a crowded midfield and central defence. I'd expect Rangers to use the same plan come the playoffs. Fortunately our manager has time to come up with a formation that provides a solution for questions we couldn't answer today.

emerald green
22-03-2015, 03:59 PM
McCall got the better of Stubbs today. His formation of a back three with the full backs pushing up meant that our full backs didn't get forward as they usually do. Without them putting in crosses we had little or no width and were trying to pass through a crowded midfield and central defence. I'd expect Rangers to use the same plan come the playoffs. Fortunately our manager has time to come up with a formation that provides a solution for questions we couldn't answer today.

:agree:

Hermit Crab
22-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Bad day at the office, Rangers were poor today and we shouldn't fear them but we need to step up

They might have been poor but were still better than us! They got their tactics spot on and hopefully Stubbs will learn from this.

DH1875
22-03-2015, 04:11 PM
2 leasons learned today. 1, that on an off day rangers could beat us and 2, just how important 2nd place is. Play like that against QOS and we could be out of it.

Onion
22-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Beaten them 3 games running. Had we won today, we have been looking at beating them at least 5 times this season to get through the POs. Even against the worst team in the league that would be rare. So, better to lose now, refocus and be better next time. This crap Hun side will now carry the favourites tag into the POs and against us, which suits us just fine .

Thecat23
22-03-2015, 04:13 PM
We surely can't play as bad in either of the two games if we meet them.

DH1875
22-03-2015, 04:19 PM
We surely can't play as bad in either of the two games if we meet them.

Yeah but what if they finish 2nd and we play as bad in the 3rd v 4th game. As Ive said, lessons learned.

Thecat23
22-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Yeah but what if they finish 2nd and we play as bad in the 3rd v 4th game. As Ive said, lessons learned.

Then I'll prob top myself [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agnes Gordon
22-03-2015, 04:57 PM
These are my thoughts exactly I was imagining us beating the Orcs 4 times then losing to them in the play offs
Hopefully this blip is a wake up call

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Hibs were below par today especially in a poor first half and the Zombies got their tactics spot on, even if they were mostly to disrupt the flow of the game. We lost a 2nd goal just as we were clearly getting on top which did for us in the end.

This is now all about how we react in our next game and how Alan Stubbs comes up with a strategy for the next time we face the Zombies.

Bostonhibby
22-03-2015, 05:33 PM
You could be right but I have a horrible feeling that if its them at any stage in the play offs then the help they enjoyed today from the officials is just the beginning, the second goal was bad enough but over the piece the best help collum gave them was in allowing them to disrupt play and reorganise themselves with fouls that weren't given or bookings that were ignored.

We deserved nothing today because of our poor finishing, poor tactics and lack of quality up front but if we are at the top of our game against them in the play offs then the ref may well be even more exposed to having to help them out. Its going to be Craig Thompson.

Houchy
22-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Good perspective. TBF, I was super confident that we'd win today so the defeat was quite a blow, I've been very confident that we'd take them in the play-offs but today gave me food for thought and knocked that confidence a bit.

I suppose how we bounce back next week against Raith will be a massive indicator of if there's any hangover from today's result. Am I the only one thinking like this? I can't bear to think how good we've been in recent months and still come away with nothing. Please tell me to chill the F@@@ oot and we'll come good in the end.

oneone73
22-03-2015, 07:59 PM
Good perspective. TBF, I was super confident that we'd win today so the defeat was quite a blow, I've been very confident that we'd take them in the play-offs but today gave me food for thought and knocked that confidence a bit.

I suppose how we bounce back next week against Raith will be a massive indicator of if there's any hangover from today's result. Am I the only one thinking like this? I can't bear to think how good we've been in recent months and still come away with nothing. Please tell me to chill the F@@@ oot and we'll come good in the end.

Chill the f@@@ out. We'll come good in the end.

The return of Farid and Cummings will help.

Houchy
22-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Chill the f@@@ out. We'll come good in the end.

The return of Farid and Cummings will help.
👍👍👍

zitelli62
22-03-2015, 08:03 PM
player for player we still have a better squad than them and we will prove that in the play offs just a bad day at the office today hopefully thats our bad game out our system and push on from here its still in our hands.

:gwa::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Houchy
22-03-2015, 08:14 PM
player for player we still have a better squad than them and we will prove that in the play offs just a bad day at the office today hopefully thats our bad game out our system and push on from here its still in our hands.

:gwa::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

That's what I'm talking about😀
Probably just aswell that I'll be in Adelaide for the semi and the Derby, however that means I'm back for the playoffs. I'll be a wreck💩😖