PDA

View Full Version : Strikers

JCHibby
22-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Does anyone know when Farid could make an appearance would be good to get him and JC up top for the semi and p/o.

Steve20
22-03-2015, 03:10 PM
I hope it's soon. Don't get the Malonga hype (he's not very good) and Djedje is hopeless (what striker looks to pass when he's right in on goal)

Iain G
22-03-2015, 03:14 PM
I hope it's soon. Don't get the Malonga hype (he's not very good) and Djedje is hopeless (what striker looks to pass when he's right in on goal)

I dont think either are hopeless but on todays performance they don't work too well together, we missed Cummings today getting in and working hard and harassing the opposition defence and making a nuisance of himself, neither Malonga of Djedje do this is part of their game.

Turkish Green
22-03-2015, 03:19 PM
JJJ does nit have a striker's instinct. He proved it today.

Scottie
22-03-2015, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately Today proved these two cant play up front together as no penetration or pace.

J-C
22-03-2015, 03:27 PM
One is like Boyle, a wide man with pace who can score a few goals here and there, Malonga likes to come deep for the ball, so that together and zero penetration, hence why we need Cummings to use his pace and directness and Farid is a natural striker who an hold the ball up.

Borderhibbie76
22-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Hate to say it but I dont rate Djedje much he is anonymous in games, dreadful last week at Cowden and thought Stubbsy would have dropped him today. I like Malonga but heard from someone at match he hasnt trained all week?? He never looked match fit today i thought

Cod Boy
22-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Probably going against most on here i would rather have had Danny Handling up front today.

gaz1875
22-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Dje Dje cost us a result today make no bones about it, 9 yards out keeper to beat, natural angle to go across Bell. If he shoots and scores they were bust. The Huns were being carved open at that point, and heads would have gone down big time. To not even shoot was criminal, I don't even think he looked to see where Malonga was!!! :rolleyes:

Thief
22-03-2015, 03:44 PM
we missed Cummings today getting in and working hard and harassing the opposition defence and making a nuisance of himself, neither Malonga of Djedje do this is part of their game.

This.
A part of his game that often goes unnoticed and unrewarded (for him) but creates space for others and confuses defenders. Our midfielders certainly missed his movement today :-(

ALF TUPPER
22-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Couldn't believe he tried to pass. Better option is shoot and if the keeper saves maybe Malonga can lbe around. Dom Malonga runs like his knees are tied together.
I'm confused about that partnership today. (No criticism of Stubbsy tho' ) .

Pretty Boy
22-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Malonga has done enough to suggest he's a player. He scores goals and that's a precious commodity.

I've commented on Djedje before and have just posted a lengthy piece on the PM board about him. He's got a lot of work to do to convince me he's a player. He looks a bit lost whenever he plays.

Pete
22-03-2015, 03:47 PM
Djedje bottled it. Not shooting was unforgivable.
You are a ****ing striker!
I'd pick Handling, Boyle or some youth player ahead of him up front from now on.

SteveHFC
22-03-2015, 03:49 PM

Have to agree mate. Can't wait to see Alagui and Cummings upfront again.

WillowbraeHibby
22-03-2015, 03:49 PM
Malonga has done enough to suggest he's a player. He scores goals and that's a precious commodity.

I've commented on Djedje before and have just posted a lengthy piece on the PM board about him. He's got a lot of work to do to convince me he's a player. He looks a bit lost whenever he plays.

Unfortunately for me, Dje Dje just doesn't cut it... My opinion only, and happy to be shot down, but I believe we could get somebody a bit better.

Bishop Hibee
22-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Djedje was brought in to bolster the squad. No danger he'll be with us come the summer. What striker looks to pass 10 yards out with only the keeper to beat?

Wouldn't be near the starting XI if Farid and Cummings were fit.

Pretty Boy
22-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Unfortunately for me, Dje Dje just doesn't cut it... My opinion only, and happy to be shot down, but I believe we could get somebody a bit better.

I don't think there will be many shooting you down.

He's offered little thus far.

J-C
22-03-2015, 03:57 PM

He's had enough time to bed and settle here and if that's the best we're gonna see from him, well he'll be gone in the summer cause it aint good enough.

snooky
22-03-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't rate Malonga or DD so you can my whoops of delight reading the team sheet today.

emerald green
22-03-2015, 04:04 PM
I said on another thread that the biggest danger to Hibs today was if they didn't take the chances they create.

Although Hibs didn't create a lot of chances today - how many saves did The Rangers keeper have to make in the game? - for Dje Dje not to have taken a shot when clean through on goal was extremely poor.

I think if he had scored Hibs might even have gone on to win the game. I know it's all ifs and buts, but even a draw today would have been acceptable given the disjointed performance of the team.

Greenblood70
22-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Sadly I think Dje Dje is the one disappointing signing we've made of late. I'm not sure what his attributes are, not a lot of pace, doesn't seem to go past players, doesn't hold the ball up and isn't on recent evidence a goal sniffer. I've been quite surprised by some of the criticism or rather lack of praise Cummings gets, the lad knows where the goal is and is a handful. We had nobody making runs beyond today and the one time we did, Dje Dje only knows what he was trying to do, rather than shoot.

To the OPs original point, Farid would have been useful today - we missed having someone with the strength to hold it up and won virtually nothing in the air in their box. I hope he;s not too far away from being able to make a contribution to the business end of the season.

lucky
22-03-2015, 04:06 PM
As pair they don't work as their work rate is not great. Malonga has shown he can score but Dje Dje is just good enough

DH1875
22-03-2015, 04:13 PM
I don't rate Malonga or DD so you can my whoops of delight reading the team sheet today.

Malonga is a decent enough player and merits a place in the squad. Agree about DD though, he is awful.

Tyler Durden
22-03-2015, 04:16 PM
Shocking decision making by Dje dje today but I think it's a bit early to write the guy off. He does have quality IMO.

Far from the only player to fall short of expectations today

22-03-2015, 04:17 PM
What was Djeje thinking at that chance?! Too busy looking for Malonga. He should have leathered that! Inexcusable for a striker.

Bayern Bru
22-03-2015, 04:26 PM
Wonder if Malonga isn't 100% fit, but played anyway due to a lack of options?

We'll never see Handling up front again IMO, and Boyle can't conjure goals out of nothing.

I could well be completely wrong but I got the impression that if Cummings was fit, Dom might not have started.

Andy74
22-03-2015, 04:30 PM
What was Djeje thinking at that chance?! Too busy looking for Malonga. He should have leathered that! Inexcusable for a striker.

Haven't seen it back but from my angle today Im not sure Id say he was clean in for a shot. I was looking for him to square it too. He just didn't do it well.

weonlywon6-2
22-03-2015, 04:31 PM
was amazed he did that, was in line with him when he ran in to the box, crazy, would have changed the game

22-03-2015, 04:33 PM
Haven't seen it back but from my angle today Im not sure Id say he was clean in for a shot. I was looking for him to square it too. He just didn't do it well.

Only seen it in live time so maybe your right. Either way still should have done a hell of a lot better. Jurys still very much out on him for me.

hibby6270
22-03-2015, 04:41 PM

This!! 100%

Taking a shot was the easier option, then who knows what could have happened. At best - he scores and changes the game. At worst - keeper saves but at least has had a shot on target.

His decision to try and pass through 2 The Rangers players to attempt to put Malonga in - just didn't see that as an option from where I was sitting.

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Other than one mazy run against Falkirk and his goal against Livi, Dje Dje has looked pretty abysmal. Shame as I had high hopes for him. Really needs to get the finger out soon

Ronniekirk
22-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Dje Dje cost us a result today make no bones about it, 9 yards out keeper to beat, natural angle to go across Bell. If he shoots and scores they were bust. The Huns were being carved open at that point, and heads would have gone down big time. To not even shoot was criminal, I don't even think he looked to see where Malonga was!!! :rolleyes:
It was a horrendous decision but Yep reflects his lack of confidence to shoot He isn't a natural striker and today we showed we don't have depth with Farid and Cummings both out

Tyler Durden
22-03-2015, 05:06 PM

I think both the shot and the pass were on had he continued toward goal at pace. The big error for me was his hesitation, slowing down obviously in two minds, which allowed the Rangers player to block the pass.

It was a bad mistake but probably heightened today due to the dearth of chances.

We shouldn't forget he is pretty much our 4th choice striker and he signed an 18 month deal. He's a different option and can be effective - today wasn't his day.

ancient hibee
22-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I thought that the pass was the right move -it was a tap in for Malonga-just such a poor one.

Stuarty27
22-03-2015, 06:16 PM
What length is jj contract??

Someone please say end of the season...

Bostonhibby
22-03-2015, 06:20 PM

18 month deal I think?

Andy74
22-03-2015, 07:31 PM

Jeez. Some people have been waiting on this one eh.

ekhibee
22-03-2015, 07:50 PM
Just what I was thinking Andy. It doesn't take long for some people to shoot a player down. Hope he has a brilliant game next time.

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2015, 07:58 PM
My opinion of Malonga from the beginning has been that he is an OK striker, but slow as a wet week and completely lacking any sort of dynamism. As for Dje Dje ..... I have absolutely no doubt that we could sign a better player than him from Stranraer or Arbroath, if anybody can see a player in there I bow to their greater wisdom.

As a pairing today, even admittedly without much real service, they were utterly woeful .... poor in the air, poor ( or no ) movement, utter lack of pace from both, from about 7 Hibs corners between them they never got on the end of anything that I can remember. Dje Dje had the shot or pass to Malonga on when through ... he waited too long to choose and screwed up the pass ... IMO the shot was the obvious choice.

Cummings might need 4 chances to get one goal, but at least he makes defences work. IMO Farid is a better player than both of them and the sooner he is match fit the better.

In short:

Malonga and Dje Dje since joining ... nothing to write home about.

Malanga and Dje Dje today ............... gash !!!

Sorry :bitchy:

NAE NOOKIE
22-03-2015, 07:59 PM

Check back my previous on these two .... my opinion is not new, just reinforced by today

Squealing pig
22-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Once stubbs sorts the attack we will be a complete team ..but for how long depends on play off results

Ronniekirk
22-03-2015, 08:35 PM
Check back my previous on these two .... my opinion is not new, just reinforced by today
Malonga s goals and when in mood ability to create space for others or play a clever pass is one of the reasons we got to second place , but agree that there are times he looks too laid back and can drift in and out of games which can be infuriating . Dj on the other hand has had cameo bits he has done well in but over last two games I haven't seen enough to make me think he will be as effective as Malonga Cummings or Farid if he can get fit and find form .

Brooster
22-03-2015, 09:36 PM
These two didnt try a leg today. No energy, no tempo, no desire. Their lacklusture performance made Moushni look world class. We missed Cummings who is by far the best striker we have...by quite some way.

Hermit Crab
22-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Just what I was thinking Andy. It doesn't take long for some people to shoot a player down. Hope he has a brilliant game next time.

Next time?!?

truehibernian
22-03-2015, 09:45 PM
These two didnt try a leg today. No energy, no tempo, no desire. Their lacklusture performance made Moushni look world class. We missed Cummings who is by far the best striker we have...by quite some way.

Dje Dje actually looks slow - and I mean very slow. To allow someone like Moshni or McCulloch to catch him after he's got a few yards on them is scary.

Watson looked like he was towing a tyre today too Brooster, had me thinking if he was unwell or a tad unfit for today.

Slowest I've seen Hibs play all season and today was a day they needed to literally burst out the blocks against a side low on confidence. It was a horrendous display for me today, no shying away from it.

Brooster
22-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Dje Dje actually looks slow - and I mean very slow. To allow someone like Moshni or McCulloch to catch him after he's got a few yards on them is scary.

Watson looked like he was towing a tyre today too Brooster, had me thinking if he was unwell or a tad unfit for today.

Slowest I've seen Hibs play all season and today was a day they needed to literally burst out the blocks against a side low on confidence. It was a horrendous display for me today, no shying away from it.

Watson was blowing out his erkie as soon as he came on which is unlike him because he has looked comfy in previous games. I can handle losing and I accept we will have off days but what I cannot stand is lack of effort....our front 2 lacked effort today.

J-C
22-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Watson was blowing out his erkie as soon as he came on which is unlike him because he has looked comfy in previous games. I can handle losing and I accept we will have off days but what I cannot stand is lack of effort....our front 2 lacked effort today.

Not great especially when Stevenson has been bigging up how everyone is the fittest they've ever been since Stubbs and co. came in.

Tyler Durden
22-03-2015, 10:11 PM

If there was a lack of effort DjeDje would never have won the ball to create the chance for himself.

Poor performances yes, same as another 4/5 players but no lack of effort

NadeAteMyLunch!
22-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Getting annoyed thinking that their back 4 consisted of Moshni, Zaluikas and McCulloch and our front two just doddled about causing them absolutely no trouble. That must be one of the clumsiest defences you could ever dream to be up against and we created nothing. Moshni was doing ****ing step overs at one point FFS

Cameron1875
22-03-2015, 10:37 PM
Is Djedje on an 18 month contract yeah? Not been impressed by him in any games so far so not a knee jerk reaction if he's criticised.

Hopefully Cummings is fit for Raith since he actually looks to get involved in games.

El Alagui return would be a huge boost too:agree:

Sir David Gray
22-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Is Djedje on an 18 month contract yeah? Not been impressed by him in any games so far so not a knee jerk reaction if he's criticised.

Hopefully Cummings is fit for Raith since he actually looks to get involved in games.

El Alagui return would be a huge boost too:agree:

Yes.

Smartie
22-03-2015, 11:12 PM
I think that when we choose which 2 strikers play it shouldn't just be a case of playing the best 2 players but working out who makes a good partnership and who works best with the other players in the team. As well as taking into consideration who we are playing.

So far I think that Malonga and Cummings have been by far the best partnership so I would go with them most of the time, when they are both fit.

I thought that today was made for Boyle and probably Malonga. Malonga is a clever player, drags players all over the place, holds it up well to bring the midfield into it and is quick when he wants to be. Today he had a poor game but he's a good player.

Can't believe we waited so long to get Boyle into the game. I thought he'd give their back 3 nightmares and when they press us all over the park he'd be a permanent threat over the top. Mental we didn't go with him today, as iffy as his finishing sometimes is.

I'm yet to be impressed overly by Dje Dje yet but it's early days for him. He looks a bit rusty to me, like he's still getting fit. It's tough for him because the importance of the games means we can't carry someone whilst they adjust to our game and get fit but I feel that is what he needs - a bit of time.

ekhibee
23-03-2015, 01:48 AM
I think that when we choose which 2 strikers play it shouldn't just be a case of playing the best 2 players but working out who makes a good partnership and who works best with the other players in the team. As well as taking into consideration who we are playing.

So far I think that Malonga and Cummings have been by far the best partnership so I would go with them most of the time, when they are both fit.

I thought that today was made for Boyle and probably Malonga. Malonga is a clever player, drags players all over the place, holds it up well to bring the midfield into it and is quick when he wants to be. Today he had a poor game but he's a good player.

Can't believe we waited so long to get Boyle into the game. I thought he'd give their back 3 nightmares and when they press us all over the park he'd be a permanent threat over the top. Mental we didn't go with him today, as iffy as his finishing sometimes is.

I'm yet to be impressed overly by Dje Dje yet but it's early days for him. He looks a bit rusty to me, like he's still getting fit. It's tough for him because the importance of the games means we can't carry someone whilst they adjust to our game and get fit but I feel that is what he needs - a bit of time.
Yep, totally agree Smartie. Boyle might well have been the right player to start against them. Unlike most on here I think Dja Djedje has shown that there is a player in there, but clearly he and Malonga didn't click today. Cummings IMO hasn't got natural pace, but he's a good striker, improving all the time and has a really good eye for goal. I just think that Stubbs was very honest in his assessment after the game. We'll learn from that, and I would be surprised if that Sevco team would get away with those tactics the next time we play them. Only my opinion of course.

NAE NOOKIE
23-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Yep, totally agree Smartie. Boyle might well have been the right player to start against them. Unlike most on here I think Dja Djedje has shown that there is a player in there, but clearly he and Malonga didn't click today. Cummings IMO hasn't got natural pace, but he's a good striker, improving all the time and has a really good eye for goal. I just think that Stubbs was very honest in his assessment after the game. We'll learn from that, and I would be surprised if that Sevco team would get away with those tactics the next time we play them. Only my opinion of course.

What worries me a bit is that after 20 to 30 minutes even to me it was obvious what system the Zombies were using, and that it was working. Why didn't we just change ours to match them and trust our better players to win the battle? Good managers react to stuff during the game and I think AS dropped the ball himself a wee bit here. I don't however think he's the kind of guy to make the same mistake twice, he will get more right than wrong in the long run.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Zombies made the most of every chance to stay down after tackles, it was a blatant attempt to disrupt the game and waste time. Stubbs should make it clear to the players that the next time we play them we do not kick the ball out if one of them goes down ....they have given up the right to expect that from us.

Smartie
23-03-2015, 12:55 PM
What worries me a bit is that after 20 to 30 minutes even to me it was obvious what system the Zombies were using, and that it was working. Why didn't we just change ours to match them and trust our better players to win the battle? Good managers react to stuff during the game and I think AS dropped the ball himself a wee bit here. I don't however think he's the kind of guy to make the same mistake twice, he will get more right than wrong in the long run.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Zombies made the most of every chance to stay down after tackles, it was a blatant attempt to disrupt the game and waste time. Stubbs should make it clear to the players that the next time we play them we do not kick the ball out if one of them goes down ....they have given up the right to expect that from us.

I think that this is my main (to be fair, my only) reservation about Stubbs.

There have been recurring themes throughout the season, in particular the drop-off in performance in the second half of games. I think there is a slight air of complacency about Stubbs, and I think that at times he can appear a bit casual and that that is reflected on occasion in our performances. I have seen people state on here that Stubbs "wouldn't tolerate" this or that but I sometimes wonder.

I really don't want this to appear like I am attacking Stubbs btw who I think is doing a magnificent job overall. This is just the one thing about him that I question right now.

That and the fact that I think he has been caught out tactically once or twice (yesterday included) although that is to be accepted from a rookie manager from time to time.

We'll see, but I do agree that he'll get a lot more right than he'll get wrong.

Fergus52
23-03-2015, 01:24 PM
People are writing dejdje off waaaay too early, same way we did with claros, robertson and others.

He's hardly played this season and obviously still needs to get his sharpness back as well as becoming accustomed to the style of football.

I'll admit he's been poor so far but Stubbs was delighted we managed to get him and that's good enough for me, he'll come good :aok:

JJP
23-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Has Malongo scored a goal since coming back from the African Cup? Couldn't stop him scoring before he went. Yesterday was a bit concerning because I thought the only way we were likely to get a goal would be from Fontaine getting on the end of a corner. Hopefully the form of our strikers picks up over the coming weeks.

JimBHibees
23-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Has Malongo scored a goal since coming back from the African Cup? Couldn't stop him scoring before he went. Yesterday was a bit concerning because I thought the only way we were likely to get a goal would be from Fontaine getting on the end of a corner. Hopefully the form of our strikers picks up over the coming weeks.

He scored against Dumbarton with a header and looked good in that game IMO. He took what looked like a sore knock in the Berwick game and I think he has been carrying it since. There was mention last week that he was just back to full training so he will probably take a bit of time to get back up to speed. I did worry when I heard JC was out and so it proved with Djedje and DM struggling against 3 centre backs and a packed midfield. Hopefully both Cummings and Farid can come back soon to give us a bit more quality up front. Malonga is a very good player however needs a dynamic partner next to him to allow him to link up with.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2015, 02:31 PM
People are writing dejdje off waaaay too early, same way we did with claros, robertson and others.

He's hardly played this season and obviously still needs to get his sharpness back as well as becoming accustomed to the style of football.

I'll admit he's been poor so far but Stubbs was delighted we managed to get him and that's good enough for me, he'll come good :aok:

Show me a manager who signs a player and says he isn't delighted to get him!

Fergus52
23-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Show me a manager who signs a player and says he isn't delighted to get him!

It was more than that though.

there was a few posts on the private board in the days before it was announced about how happy Stubbs was that we managed to get him and how he didn't think we initially could have.

he'll come good.

MWHIBBIES
23-03-2015, 03:12 PM
They don't play well together, that doesn't mean they aren't good players, Malonga especially. Look at some of his goals this season, Dumbarton home and away and United in the cup especially, he clearly has quality but his game doesn't involve running around closing defenders down, Cummings does this and they complement each other well.

Lets not be stupid and write forwards off like Dje Dje before they have had some proper time at the club. He hasn't done badly (3/4 goals already?) and you only have to look at the success of Eoin Doyle and Clayton Donaldson who were written off here to show how daft this forum can be sometimes.

jacomo
23-03-2015, 05:37 PM
They don't play well together, that doesn't mean they aren't good players, Malonga especially. Look at some of his goals this season, Dumbarton home and away and United in the cup especially, he clearly has quality but his game doesn't involve running around closing defenders down, Cummings does this and they complement each other well.

Lets not be stupid and write forwards off like Dje Dje before they have had some proper time at the club. He hasn't done badly (3/4 goals already?) and you only have to look at the success of Eoin Doyle and Clayton Donaldson who were written off here to show how daft this forum can be sometimes.

Well said.

Mon the new Franck.

RIP
23-03-2015, 08:13 PM
DD made the chance out of nothing. What other player could say that yesterday?

If the pass goes through the defender's legs we would have him down as a hero.

Threepenny-bit-heid Fontaine is off the hook I assume. :-)