PDA

View Full Version : Anti social drinking

franks
22-03-2015, 09:53 AM
I notice in the official police message before todays game that there is reference to clamping down on anti social drinking prior to the game using City of Edinburgh by-laws. Is this about drinking in the street which is not allowed in the west and if so when did Edinburgh pass such a by-law?

I can understand if people are making a nuisance of themselves while drinking. I'm just a bit suspicious that police Scotland are again applying Strathclyde policy throughout Scotland.

S4uzee
22-03-2015, 10:00 AM
I remember at the derby in January at tynecastle, the police took drink off some people and poured it away but others got away with it

IrnBru22
22-03-2015, 10:03 AM
I notice in the official police message before todays game that there is reference to clamping down on anti social drinking prior to the game using City of Edinburgh by-laws. Is this about drinking in the street which is not allowed in the west and if so when did Edinburgh pass such a by-law?

I can understand if people are making a nuisance of themselves while drinking. I'm just a bit suspicious that police Scotland are again applying Strathclyde policy throughout Scotland.

My friend got a £40 fine for drinking on the meadows in the summer!!

danhibees1875
22-03-2015, 10:07 AM

I'd heard a rumour that drinking in Edinburgh was now illegal and that people were just getting warnings for now and the idea was they'd tell their friends and the message would be passed round. I thought at the time that it was an idiotic way to go about changing a pretty well known rule.

Does anyone know if this is an actual thing?

portycabbage
22-03-2015, 10:07 AM
Surely antisocial drinking is just drinking on your own, so if you're in a big group it should be fine!

Albanian Hibs
22-03-2015, 10:09 AM
I had a bottle taken off me outside the roseburn in january. Police said it was the new law.

MSK
22-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Surely antisocial drinking is just drinking on your own, so if you're in a big group it should be fine!Exactly ...anti social drinking in public is a no no ...but social drinking in public is absolutely fine ...:greengrin

Its bonkers actually ..folk can sit outside a pub with a bottle of beer but someone walking past drinking a bottle of beer is breaking the law ...:crazy:

NYHibby
22-03-2015, 10:14 AM

When I was in university, I remember seeing posters in the Sciennes halls back in 2007 that it was now illegal to drink on the streets. So I think the change was made in 2006 or 2007.

Oscar T Grouch
22-03-2015, 10:17 AM
I had a bottle taken off me outside the roseburn in january. Police said it was the new law.

I don't know any law that prohibits drinking alcohol in public. As I have a general mistrust of polis I would have asked what "new law". If there is a ban on drinking alcohol in public in Edinburgh I fear the tourist industry is going to take a hit.

hibbytam
22-03-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't know any law that prohibits drinking alcohol in public. As I have a general mistrust of polis I would have asked what "new law". If there is a ban on drinking alcohol in public in Edinburgh I fear the tourist industry is going to take a hit.

A quick google suggests that there was a by-law passed in 2007-ish, but Lothian and borders police selective when enforcing it, so allowing people having a couple of beers on the meadows and suchlike.

Now we're policed by Strathclyde, they won't have the same attitude.

CentreLine
22-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Just another symptom of policing all of Scotland like it was Glasgow. Scandalous!

truehibernian
22-03-2015, 10:27 AM
It's not a 'new law' - the local bylaw has always been in place however common sense was applied in Edinburgh along with a greater degree of discretion - and court orders which created zero tolerance zones (Art Gallery at The Mound, Hunter Square, etc).

Shortly after April 2013 the bylaw started to be applied with not much discretion and a fair degree of inconsistency............there is of course another area of Scotland that has had it for years :cb .......couldn't begin to think who wanted it here right enough :rolleyes:

marti1875
22-03-2015, 10:29 AM
There definitely is some sort of law against drinking in public, a nitof a mix of some views posted already. It's not nearly as simple as weegieland, (or it wasn't until the cops changed to Police Scotland) Weegieland was a simple ban from drinking in public and that was that.

Here it was more only anti-social drinkers that would get the drink taken off them/poured away and given a warning as Edinburgh had so many places you could sit outside it would've meant banning all outdoor bar/restaurant seating in Edinburgh where you could eat drink!!
Can you imagine that in the middle of summer when the festival is on? not a single place to sit outside and have a cheeky beer or 10 and "birdwatch" or people watch!! :greengrin

So yes, we were very different to Glasgow for sure....but not sure now seeing it all changed to Police Scotland as before it was the specific areas only, like Strathclyde and Lothian Borders.

What i'm saying really is i don't have a friggin clue!! ha ha :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
22-03-2015, 10:33 AM
Surely it should come down to common sense.

On a nice day I will quite often head down to the Links with a bottle of wine or a couple of beers and enjoy the sun. I clean up after myself and leave, no bother. On Leith Festival day hundreds have the same idea and there's rarely any bother.

To try and blanket police that in the same way as bams drinking on street corners kr alcoholics at Hunter Square is madness and totally unworkable.

NYHibby
22-03-2015, 10:36 AM
In what way is this scandalous? As hibbytam and I said, this has been on the books for like 8 years. It was put into place by Edinburgh Council, not by anyone in the west. No one here has posted with examples of the police misapplying it.

The only thing "scandalous" in this thread are people jumping to conclusions without any basis and people's hatred of things related to the west of Scotland.

CalgaryHibs
22-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Exactly ...anti social drinking in public is a no no ...but social drinking in public is absolutely fine ...:greengrin

Its bonkers actually ..folk can sit outside a pub with a bottle of beer but someone walking past drinking a bottle of beer is breaking the law ...:crazy:
----
If this is law this is f@&$ silly

marti1875
22-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Surely it should come down to common sense.

On a nice day I will quite often head down to the Links with a bottle of wine or a couple of beers and enjoy the sun. I clean up after myself and leave, no bother. On Leith Festival day hundreds have the same idea and there's rarely any bother.

To try and blanket police that in the same way as bams drinking on street corners kr alcoholics at Hunter Square is madness and totally unworkable.

:top marks That's the way i've seen it working. The hunter square types sitting around being absolute dripunken abusive threatening pests get targetted whilst people sitting outside say the Advocate happily sitting having some lunchtime beers in the sun are quite free to carry on as they are not causing alarm to anyone and simply behaving themselves.

truehibernian
22-03-2015, 10:43 AM
In what way is this scandalous? As hibbytam and I said, this has been on the books for like 8 years. It was put into place by Edinburgh Council, not by anyone in the west. No one here has posted with examples of the police misapplying it.

The only thing "scandalous" in this thread are people jumping to conclusions without any basis and people's hatred of things related to the west of Scotland.

Might do a cheeky wee FOI request to see how many rugby fans attending and leaving Murrayfield were issued with tickets yesterday :cb saw groups of them throughout the day drinking in the street.........

I do get what you are saying bud, just think that there are laws being applied a little unevenly at times. Alcohol is a huge problem in Scotland full stop but it's the behaviour behind it that needs addressed too, as there are a large percentage of law abiding people who do not resort to violence after a couple of cans......

Itsnoteasy
22-03-2015, 10:46 AM
I'd heard a rumour that drinking in Edinburgh was now illegal and that people were just getting warnings for now and the idea was they'd tell their friends and the message would be passed round. I thought at the time that it was an idiotic way to go about changing a pretty well known rule.

Does anyone know if this is an actual thing?

Yes I had the same problem at Tynie. No drinking n the streets. It was brought in when the police changed to one force ie Police Scotland

hibbytam
22-03-2015, 10:51 AM

well, it's been on the books and sensibly enforced for a while. But now it seems to be less sensibly and more weegily enforced.

ScottB
22-03-2015, 10:54 AM
Yeah, essentially it is illegal to drink outside here, but police turn a blind eye to it happening in the meadows, or the gardens and the like, but will enforce the law to take it off people when needed, for example, if a group of drunk, abusive Rangers fans are roaming the streets, then that is quite correct to take their booze off them.

There's a big difference from folk lazing about in the sunshine and crowds of football fans wandering about.

Bristolhibby
22-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Is this the route we are going down?

http://mankindunplugged.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/beer-sleeve-brown-paper-bag-1.jpg

J

Canongatehibs
22-03-2015, 09:03 PM
A quick google suggests that there was a by-law passed in 2007-ish, but Lothian and borders police selective when enforcing it, so allowing people having a couple of beers on the meadows and suchlike.

Now we're policed by Strathclyde, they won't have the same attitude.

spot on. It's for use by police when and where they want in Embra. And quite right too.

weonlywon6-2
22-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Edinburgh council bring in certain bylaws for some areas i.e. Hunters Square due to previous issues.
These are temporary laws
not aware of Edinburgh having laws about drinking

DH1875
22-03-2015, 10:57 PM

Never seizes to amaze me that some folks dont realize that a good section of our support come from/stay to the west of Livingston.