PDA

View Full Version : going to work in saudi arabia

livi hibs 1875
21-03-2015, 09:07 PM
going to work in saudi miss the semi final ,poss final, all the playoff stuff.
need plenty updates on here of whats happening. ofcouse i hope hibs do it all but will this be the year when im away.
only HIBS , get it sorted petrie:party:

Golden Bear
21-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Best of luck Lawrence!

livi hibs 1875
21-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Best of luck Lawrence!

yeah yeah heard them all:gwa:

Ronniekirk
21-03-2015, 09:12 PM
yeah yeah heard them all:gwa:

Nae need Tae take the hump :wink:

HappyAsHellas
21-03-2015, 09:21 PM
The culture shock is the most difficult thing about working there - it's seriously harder to come to terms with than a visit to the Piggery.

livi hibs 1875
21-03-2015, 09:31 PM
The culture shock is the most difficult thing about working there - it's seriously harder to come to terms with than a visit to the Piggery.

HA HA i know what you mean was there last year for 3 months , but once you get your head round the way it all works its no bad , plus Bahrain is not a bad weekend out

Slicer
21-03-2015, 10:34 PM

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-03-2015, 10:40 PM
My auld boys uncle Bert was in hospital with Lawrence of Arabia.

Peevemor
21-03-2015, 10:41 PM
My auld boys uncle Bert was in hospital with Lawrence of Arabia.

Bert of Arabia doesn't have the same ring to it though really ... :greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-03-2015, 10:49 PM
Bert of Arabia doesn't have the same ring to it though really ... :greengrin

:greengrin Bert was a bit-part player :agree:

HappyAsHellas
22-03-2015, 03:03 AM
HA HA i know what you mean was there last year for 3 months , but once you get your head round the way it all works its no bad , plus Bahrain is not a bad weekend out

Bahrain has all the qualities of a good weekend out of a damp weekend in wester hailes. Should you truly want a worthwhile experience I would suggest the dancing clubs/bars in Amman. A real eye opener, but not in a positive sense. The amphitheatre there is well worth a visit though which almost makes it worthwhile. Avoid Egypt at all costs - it's full of Egyptians. If you're going to support a local team in Saudi then it has to be Al Ahli - nothing else comes close.

WillowbraeHibby
22-03-2015, 06:41 AM
Bahrain has all the qualities of a good weekend out of a damp weekend in wester hailes. Should you truly want a worthwhile experience I would suggest the dancing clubs/bars in Amman. A real eye opener, but not in a positive sense. The amphitheatre there is well worth a visit though which almost makes it worthwhile. Avoid Egypt at all costs - it's full of Egyptians. If you're going to support a local team in Saudi then it has to be Al Ahli - nothing else comes close.

Aqaba is decent for a night oot... Been drunk there a few times.. :rolleyes:

Pete
22-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Really cheap Rolex watches out that way.

Keith_M
22-03-2015, 07:03 AM
Are you allowed to drive a car in Saudi?

SaudiHibby
22-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Really cheap Rolex watches out that way.

:greengrin green ones

KSA Hibee
22-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Where are you going tone based when you get to the Magic Kingdom?

hibbybrian
22-03-2015, 08:35 AM
:greengrin green ones

I read that thread :greengrin :thumbsup:

Turkish Green
22-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Sort yourself out with a VPN and if you have Sky then sort out SkyGo. I have my BBC iPlayer set to Scotland location so it is almost like being at home except for missing live games.

Turkish Green
22-03-2015, 09:13 AM
Sheesh! As I typed the last post the Muezzin has started of calling all for midday prayer from the minaret of the mosque next to my apartment.

now after over 20 years working in the Middle East, the start of the singing still startles.

mutley
24-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I'm out in UAE (near Dubai) for 6 months from the end of May , not long back from Oman. Still humming and ha-ing on wether to renew my ST as I'll be back November ish, might hang on and buy half season later in the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HappyAsHellas
24-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Are you allowed to drive a car in Saudi?

As long as you're male, yes, the Saudi licence is quite cheap and easy to get.

Turkish Green
24-03-2015, 10:21 AM
As long as you're male, yes, the Saudi licence is quite cheap and easy to get.

Because alcohol is banned, there is no such think as drunk driving as the assumption is that nobody drinks alcohol. Dangerous driving maybe, but not drunk driving. Mind you the way the Saudis drive you'd suspect they were blootered. Stay well away from the roads on the 4th week of Ramadan as they are lethal.

Ants
24-03-2015, 02:44 PM
For the football, get yourself a Bein Sports subscription, costs 800SAR (£150 per year), that will occupy you for a footie fix!!
Driving is mad, but on the plus side, petrol costs 7.5p per litre.
Enjoy it :aok:

Sir David Gray
24-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Best of British over there.

I wouldn't visit Saudi Arabia if my life depended on it.

lyonhibs
25-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Best of British over there.

As soon as I saw you were the last person to post on this thread I thought "this could be good "

You didn't disappoint

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2015, 11:48 AM

I think you would.

Bristolhibby
25-03-2015, 11:50 AM
Is it true you have to get an AIDS test to work in the Kingdom?

J

livi hibs 1875
25-03-2015, 01:58 PM
when you guys are at hampden , i might just pop over to yeman will be much of the same

WillowbraeHibby
25-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Is it true you have to get an AIDS test to work in the Kingdom?

J

I believe so. As in Oman, Iraq, etc, it is usually a formality to have a blood / AIDS test done. If you are going to reside for your job, then it is a medical which covers all that (Blood test etc).

Just my experience of it... :wink:

Smartie
25-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Because alcohol is banned, there is no such think as drunk driving as the assumption is that nobody drinks alcohol. Dangerous driving maybe, but not drunk driving. Mind you the way the Saudis drive you'd suspect they were blootered. Stay well away from the roads on the 4th week of Ramadan as they are lethal.

Purely out of interest, why is that?

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2015, 02:36 PM
[/B]

Purely out of interest, why is that?

As I understand it, by the time Ramadan ends, people's emotional and mental states are shattered. Unusual eating and drinking patterns, with the impact on work and social lives, plays hell with people's nerves and moods.

Ants
25-03-2015, 03:32 PM
As I understand it, by the time Ramadan ends, people's emotional and mental states are shattered. Unusual eating and drinking patterns, with the impact on work and social lives, plays hell with people's nerves and moods.

From my experience, their day is night and vice-versa, plus their working hours are reduced.
As the month of Ramadan progresses, the driving becomes more dangerous, even mental!
Seen a guy nodding off at the wheel (doing about 140Km/H) while driving back from work. :crazy:

Scott Allan Key
25-03-2015, 04:01 PM

I can't speak for all those in 'Saudi' Arabia, but that is not my experience of the Ramadan fast. If done sensibly with the proper nutrition and spiritual practises, physical tiredness is inevitable if a normal routine is maintained in a hot climate but with a shortened work day and a 'in it together' spirit it should be a difficulty that has ease in it. In fact, it would be an exercise in inner contentment and enlightenment.

Having said that, many in Middle East overindulge at break of fast with subsequent health problems and the Wahabi strain of thought put into power in Saudi with great help from the British over the centuries would put me into a mental and emotional car crash with or without Ramadan.

On a football note, North African players in the Netherlands have worked out a special diet as practising Muslims during Ramadan with club sports scientists to no or little disadvantage to their game. I don't know if Farid El Alegui is practising but I'd be interested if Hibs have professionalism to fine tune his pre-season training and diet in mind regarding Ramadan, which'll fall in June/July this year.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2015, 08:58 PM
As soon as I saw you were the last person to post on this thread I thought "this could be good "

You didn't disappoint

Your point being? :confused:

I'm pretty sure there's lots of people in civilised countries like the UK who wouldn't wish to go and live in a barbaric, backward thinking, medieval country like Saudi Arabia.

In fact, I might even be in the majority.

Swedish hibee
25-03-2015, 09:02 PM
need plenty updates on here of whats happening. ofcouse i hope hibs do it all but will this be the year when im away.

Get signed up with Hibs TV for us oversea's fans. The new set up gets the :thumbsup:from me!

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2015, 09:18 PM

I'm pretty sure there's lots of people in civilised countries like the UK who wouldn't wish to go and live in a barbaric, backward thinking, medieval country like Saudi Arabia.

Not if their lives depended on it though.

Sergey
25-03-2015, 09:25 PM

I'm pretty sure there's lots of people in civilised countries like the UK who wouldn't wish to go and live in a barbaric, backward thinking, medieval county like Falkirk.

FYPFY

I agree :agree:

Sir David Gray
25-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Not if their lives depended on it though.

I honestly can't think off the top of my head on any situation where I would visit Saudi Arabia.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-03-2015, 10:15 PM
I honestly can't think off the top of my head on any situation where I would visit Saudi Arabia.

So, if your life depended on it as you stated earlier in the thread you still wouldnae go? The worst thing that could happen is the authorities in Saudi could read your Holy Ground posts, I doubt they'd kill you though.

Pete
25-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Let's get this right. Men are in total control and women aren't allowed to drive?

Sounds OK so far.

Sir David Gray
25-03-2015, 10:32 PM
So, if your life depended on it as you stated earlier in the thread you still wouldnae go? The worst thing that could happen is the authorities in Saudi could read your Holy Ground posts, I doubt they'd kill you though.

I would probably be first in line for the Friday morning lashing followed by the public decapitation. :wink:

HappyAsHellas
26-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Let's get this right. Men are in total control and women aren't allowed to drive?

Sounds OK so far.

No clubs
No bars
No theatres
No cinemas
No festivals
No concerts
Segregated restaurants (married/single)
Women only allowed out in pairs
Censored newspapers/TV
Mail intercepted and sometimes read
Phone calls listened in on
Documentation required for travel
Anti western propaganda that is staggering
Religion religion religion everywhere you go
No churches (obviously)
Deportation for having the bible
Driving a major cause of deaths

The list can go on and on, but you get the idea.....Trig might find the Nabathean tombs well worth a visit though.

Scott Allan Key
26-03-2015, 09:58 AM
No clubs
No bars
No theatres
No cinemas
No festivals
No concerts
Censored newspapers/TV
No churches (obviously)

The list can go on and on, but you get the idea.....Trig might find the Nabathean tombs well worth a visit though.

Don't forget their major export is terrorism and they persecute ethnic and religious minorities including Muslims (especially Shi'a) other than Wahabis.

I wouldn't live there and I'm a Muslim, in fact, I would face genuine persecution as I am a Shi'a. The Prophet Muhamnad made a pact with Christian leaders guaranteeing freedom of practise and building and protection of churches, FYI Trig. But I am obliged to go to Hajj and subsequently spend thousands on the regimes cash cow that they are ruining as an experience.

The regime came to power in very similar way to ISIS with British backing. The 'royal' families have long standing ties that sadly supercedes public opinion in this country although I was amused of story of Queen driving ex-King Abdullah on one of her estates to his horror several years ago. One of few times I have cheered her TBH.

It's all about oil wealth of course. Who would work there otherwise and need to know how to catch up on Hibs?

livi hibs 1875
26-03-2015, 11:34 AM
No clubs
No bars
No theatres
No cinemas
No festivals
No concerts
Censored newspapers/TV
No churches (obviously)

come on guys i only asked updates on the hibs not all the reasons not to go back lol

HappyAsHellas
26-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Don't forget their major export is terrorism and they persecute ethnic and religious minorities including Muslims (especially Shi'a) other than Wahabis.

I wouldn't live there and I'm a Muslim, in fact, I would face genuine persecution as I am a Shi'a.

Big Shi'a presence in the Al Khobar area who do all right over there........but getting back on track Al Ahli is the only team to follow over there.

Pete
26-03-2015, 09:06 PM
No clubs
No bars

Whoah there, I've read enough.

Bloody savages. I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it.

Scott Allan Key
27-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Big Shi'a presence in the Al Khobar area who do all right over there........but getting back on track Al Ahli is the only team to follow over there.

.. I guess by being in oil rich area there is some trickle down economic benefit for minority of Shi'a there but I'm talking abour religious freedom and genuine persecution and discrimunation cited by Human Rights Watch. I don't know if you mean to be Devil's advocate but I'd quite like myself or my chuldren not to be banned from police, education, army jobs or my daughter calked a heretic by my teacher in class or be banned from religious practise. The last thing I'd want would be to be murdered by a fanatic because some idiotic Wahabi scholar said my blood was halal to take.

Scott Allan Key
27-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Whoah there, I've read enough.

Bloody savages. I wouldn't go there if my life depended on it.

Big generalisation.Even though a vicious version of Islam is propagated and defines legal code there it is followed by minority of population. I went to France a few years ago with my Muslim family expecting to be spat at by hate filled bigots screaming abuse. Much to my delight we found the people and place the best we have been. The establishment might be ***** now and then like most places. If I wanted bloody savages I could always sit under them in away end at Ibrox being serenaded about sectarian religious conflict by distant relatives of ruthless Scottish familes.

superfurryhibby
27-03-2015, 07:09 AM

It's called a metaphoric statement. That's when you make an analogy but it's not necessarily literally true.

A bit like saying I'd cut my left hand off to see Hibs winning the Scottish Cup.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-03-2015, 08:38 AM
It's called a metaphoric statement. That's when you make an analogy but it's not necessarily literally true.

A bit like saying I'd cut my left hand off to see Hibs winning the Scottish Cup.

Thanks, I appreciate your insight.

Lucius Apuleius
27-03-2015, 09:56 AM

Would you though? Here's the thing if someone said to me right now, give me your left bollock and I guarantee 100% Hibs will win the cup, I would, without a thought. Nae use to me. Or as my darling elder son said to me on the phone last night, he reckons it would be just like me to die before the final this year and we go on and win it! But let's wait to see if I do die before getting the bets on. 😇

superfurryhibby
27-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Would you though? Here's the thing if someone said to me right now, give me your left bollock and I guarantee 100% Hibs will win the cup, I would, without a thought. Nae use to me. Or as my darling elder son said to me on the phone last night, he reckons it would be just like me to die before the final this year and we go on and win it! But let's wait to see if I do die before getting the bets on. 

Mmm, I'm with ****a Kinte in Roots, take the foot or hand, but leave the tackle intact.

Anyway, I had a dream that Hibs would do it to mark my half centenary, still on course. It 's written in the stars, so don't go getting yourself run over or anything daft, at least not until May17th:greengrin

livi hibs 1875
17-04-2015, 02:34 PM
well out here in sunny saudi , thought all was lost after that bad run , but a huge good luck to STUBBS AND THE TEAM AND OF COURSE THE LUCKY FANS WHO WILL BE THERE TOMORROW. A possible final and now a great chance in the run in to the play offs im gutted i will miss it all but come on the HIBS.
:gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa::gwa:.

Canongatehibs
17-04-2015, 09:33 PM
only HIBS , get it sorted petrie:party:

Good luck with that one!

KSA Hibee
18-04-2015, 06:57 AM
where are you based?

the 2 members of the Saudi Hibs supporters club will be watching the game at Corners in the Dragon Hotel in Bahrain...

if you have transport and a multi visa get yer erse over and join us :flag: