PDA

View Full Version : Danny handling - deep lying playmaker

Unseen work
21-03-2015, 03:38 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tweetness-and-light-for-danny-handling-this-term-1-3721156

Interesting article with Danny saying he feels he is best suited to this role, but obviously has to massively improve defensively

1. do people think he could play this position?

2. Do you think he's not taking much risks behind the striker to prove that he keeps the ball the majority of the time and could dictate play further back?

Happens a lot when a player tries to play the style not suited to the position they are in

Billy Whizz
21-03-2015, 03:39 PM
http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tweetness-and-light-for-danny-handling-this-term-1-3721156

Interesting article with Danny saying he feels he is best suited to this role, but obviously has to massively improve defensively

2. Do you think he's not taking much risks behind the striker to prove that he keeps the ball the majority of the time and could dictate play further back?

Happens a lot when a player tries to play the style not suited to the position they are in

He's played this role for the development team, and he's been outstanding

HibsNutter
21-03-2015, 03:43 PM
For the moment we have a holding midfielder in magnificent form in Robertson, it would be nice to have another option, though, so if Handling can up his game I'm sure competition for that role will be welcomed.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2015, 05:02 PM
He has been good behind the forwards this season, no need to change his position.

CB_NO3
21-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Don't want to be negative but I just don't see a player in Handling at all. I hope to be proved wrong of course.

bingo70
21-03-2015, 06:33 PM
He has been good behind the forwards this season, no need to change his position.

He's not really, if he was he wouldn't have been dropped so often and there wouldn't be talk of him changing position.

NorthNorfolkHFC
21-03-2015, 06:38 PM
I don't see enough energy for that role

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"

Billy Whizz
21-03-2015, 06:46 PM
He's not really, if he was he wouldn't have been dropped so often and there wouldn't be talk of him changing position.

The manager played him in this position. Do you think he tells Stubbs where he's to play?

Pete
21-03-2015, 06:46 PM
"Deep lying playmaker"

What a fancy name :greengrin

bingo70
21-03-2015, 06:50 PM
The manager played him in this position. Do you think he tells Stubbs where he's to play?

Sorry, not sure what you mean?

The person I quoted said he's done well in the attacking role this season, I was pointing out that wasn't true as he continually gets dropped. If he had been playing well we wouldn't be looking at moving him into a different position.

I don't see what your question has to do with that point? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious!

Billy Whizz
21-03-2015, 06:52 PM

The person I quoted said he's done well in the attacking role this season, I was pointing out that wasn't true as he continually gets dropped. If he had been playing well we wouldn't be looking at moving him into a different position.

I don't see what your question has to do with that point? Apologies if I'm missing something obvious!

Maybe misread your post, my apologies

Crammond Hibee
21-03-2015, 06:55 PM

The last 3 games he started
Rangers won 4.0
Hearts draw 1.1
Dumbarton won 3.0

The manager obviously prefers the others

Michael
21-03-2015, 06:56 PM
"Deep lying playmaker"

What a fancy name :greengrin

Someone's been playing football manager.

bingo70
21-03-2015, 06:58 PM
The last 3 games he started
Rangers won 4.0
Hearts draw 1.1
Dumbarton won 3.0

The manager obviously prefers the others

Why do you think he prefers the others?

Are you suggesting the reason is not based on merit but some other factor?

Hibby Bairn
21-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Can we not just support and encourage this young player who this week will join the Scotland U21 squad?

Suburban Hibby
21-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Don't want to be negative but I just don't see a player in Handling at all. I hope to be proved wrong of course.

Yep just can't see it- was astounded with his 4 year deal- never seen him at development level where seems to flourish but does not do it for me.

bingo70
21-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Can we not just support and encourage this young player who this week will join the Scotland U21 squad?

Yes, but as he's a hibs player and this is a hibs forum I'd think we can also discuss his performances.

Hiber-nation
21-03-2015, 07:15 PM

Maybe if Danny showed his true potential when given the chance then he'd get more support. He's been so disappointing this season.

Crammond Hibee
21-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Why do you think he prefers the others?

Are you suggesting the reason is not based on merit but some other factor?

No
The manager picks the team
He prefers others that's all

Winston Ingram
21-03-2015, 08:41 PM

Absolutely. I'd always thought he's more of a continuity/Claros type midfielder.

He doesn't seem to be able to get involved further up the field.

iwasthere1972
21-03-2015, 08:55 PM

I agree with you and really can't see him having any future at Hibs. Still wish him well for the future.

Thecat23
21-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Danny needs to up his game big time. The fact he's in and out the team says it all. I think he's been pretty poor this season and not showed enough at all. I hope he picks up because there is a big jump from youth development to first team!

Has he got it.... Time will tell!

Vini1875
21-03-2015, 09:48 PM
For Danny Handling is another Tam McManus, obviously well liked and a decent player but contributes much less than he could.

truehibernian
21-03-2015, 10:10 PM
For Danny Handling is another Tam McManus, obviously well liked and a decent player but contributes much less than he could.

I've never hid my praise for Danny and I will evidence it by my previous championing of Lewis - Lewis, despite numerous numerous detractors, has been for me the most technically gifted Hibs player for 4 seasons. All this whilst playing under the most negative managers we have had in decades, and in the poorest sides in years.

Watching Danny always reminds me of watching Lewis - a player who never hides, wants the ball, and more importantly - and watch him in games for those that are unsure - rarely gives the ball away. He is a very technically gifted player, who yes, as TC says, needs to up his game, but only because now there are very very high standards at Hibs - and he will and is doing.

Like Lewis, Danny is a player who has played in numerous positions which were 'foreign' to him from his juvenile and development years.

Watch how he plays and watch him closely - he makes good space for himself, always gets the ball in decent areas, always recycles it well. For me I'll always reiterate he is a striker in a 4-4-2......because he is clever. But in this side, where we have so many options, he is looking like a midfielder under Stubbs.

Like Lewis though, none of the managers previously have wanted to get rid - much like Lewis - both are survivors, and for me it's because they are very good footballers.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-03-2015, 10:11 PM
Prefer Sam Stanton.

J-C
22-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Handling was outstanding against Rangers in the Challenge cup game at the start of the season, he played in a deeper role and was MOM before being sent off.

Tyler Durden
22-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Handling was outstanding against Rangers in the Challenge cup game at the start of the season, he played in a deeper role and was MOM before being sent off.

He was playing the number 10 role that game as he did a lot at the start of the season.

I actually think he's having a good season. Could certainly contribute more at times but he's only out of the team now because we're fortunate to have 3 of the best young midfielders in Scotland. Fyvie coming in has given us great balance and a really strong bench with Stanton, Handling and Craig.

If we can get promoted and keep McGeouch and Fyvie, with Handling becoming a squad player, I'd be perfectly happy with that. Not every player can be 9/10 week after week.

Brightside
22-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Yes, but as he's a hibs player and this is a hibs forum I'd think we can also discuss his performances.

Bingo doesn't like Danny Handling. Remember its vital for some fans to have a player to criticise. U21 mgr thinks he's a player, stubbs thinks he's a player. Sure Bingo knows best tho. :wink:

J-C
22-03-2015, 09:59 AM
He was playing the number 10 role that game as he did a lot at the start of the season.

I actually think he's having a good season. Could certainly contribute more at times but he's only out of the team now because we're fortunate to have 3 of the best young midfielders in Scotland. Fyvie coming in has given us great balance and a really strong bench with Stanton, Handling and Craig.

If we can get promoted and keep McGeouch and Fyvie, with Handling becoming a squad player, I'd be perfectly happy with that. Not every player can be 9/10 week after week.

Very true, like most good no.10's he did come a wee bit deeper to pick up the ball and make things tick, Allan and McGeouch also do it very well, a lot of people seem to see him as a striker but it's plainly obviously he's an attacking midfielder, he just needs to strengthen up a bit and sort out his defensive duties.

bingo70
22-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Bingo doesn't like Danny Handling. Remember its vital for some fans to have a player to criticise. U21 mgr thinks he's a player, stubbs thinks he's a player. Sure Bingo knows best tho. :wink:

I don't know Danny handling, he might be a lovely guy.

I don't think he's made enough of an impact when playing though.

Stubbs appears to agree with me more than you, which is why he keeps dropping him.

Brightside
22-03-2015, 10:04 AM

Stubbs appears to agree with me more than you, which is why he keeps dropping him.

He's in the squad almost every week! He's unfortunate that we currently have one of the best midfields in the country. He;d walk into most of the other teams.

J-C
22-03-2015, 10:06 AM

I think certain comments re professionalism and players being fitter and stronger than ever may be the reason both Handling and Stanton are a bit behind Allan/Fyvie and McGeouch, if we've been faffing around for the last 3-4 years and not getting these lads ready then maybe Stubbs and co. are the guys to get them up to speed and ready for the future. If Jim McDonaugh was any good these young lads would be in the team and Stubbs wouldn't have to bring in Fyvie and McGeough, but the fact that he was let go and a whole new set up with the U20's was established shows things behind the scenes were not right and our younsters wer not nearly ready enough physcally for the demand of 1st team football.

Fergus52
22-03-2015, 11:35 AM
The fact he's been dropped a few times is a complete non argument.

The vast majority of players in this country would struggle to consistently get a game in our midfield.