PDA

View Full Version : Understanding

InchHibby
20-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I've read all the threads and completely understand them, from being pissed off at the last few seasons, to being pissed of at the ever changing managerial positions, to being pissed of at the Rod Petrie saga, to being pissed of with relegation, etc, etc, But
I've supported Hibs, as a few of us have, for over 50 years, and we have seen our fair share of disappointment over the years, but so have other clubs.
There are some some clubs that have never seen their team win a trophy, their are some clubs that have never been in the top league, but their fans still support them, still love them, I'm a great believer in when you decide the team that you support, will be the team you support for life, then you have to take the good times with the bad, I know this mind sound irritating but I sit with a mate as I have done for possibly 40 years, and not once have we ever said, this is the last season, we love them as we always have from, in my case 1954 and if my mate doesn't mind me saying, as he's a couple of years younger, from probably the same age.
My point is, for those fans still annoyed at the relegation from last season, and for those fans deciding not to go back until Petrie is out, here's what I say,
Don't punish the club you love because of certain individuals, they will come and go, and like it or not they will have, as they see it, done what they think is in the best interests of Hibernian Football Club, and I for one beleive that.
If you love the club, which I'm sure everyone on here does, then appreciate what we are getting now, lovely exciting football, good manager complimented with professional back room staff, probably one of the best in Leanne Dempster.
It's probably, if not better, than the Turnbulls Tornadoes, and that's sayiny something.
Me and my mate, and my Son and Daughter, will be their through thick and thin, as always, I urge every Hibs fan at this moment to get right behind the team, for me as one can see a bright future, upwards and onwards.

green day
20-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Smashing post

ArmadaleHibs
20-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Nice one dad

Billy Whizz
20-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Well done

Capt Mainwaring
20-03-2015, 07:51 PM
Well said Auld Yin. Onwards and upwards! Hibernian for Ever

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2015, 07:55 PM
Great post and mirrors exactly my attitude to supporting Hibs.

There is however one thing that makes us pretty unique at least in UK terms and possibly even in Europe. Can there be any other set of supporters who have seen their club fall at the final hurdle more than us. I don't mean like clubs who make 20 finals and lose 8, I mean a record like this: My finals since the first one in 1979.

Scottish cup final 1979 .............. Hibs 2 Rangers 3
League cup final 1986 ................Hibs 0 Aberdeen 3
League cup final 1991 .............Hibs 2 Dunfermline 0
League cup final 1994 ................Hibs 1 Rangers 2
Scottish cup final 2001 ...............Hibs 0 Celtic 3
League cup final 2004 ................Hibs 0 Livingston 2
League cup final 2007 .............Hibs 5 Kilmarnock 1
Scottish cup final 2012 ...............Hibs 1 ***** 5
Scottish cup final 2013 ...............Hibs 0 Celtic 3

Islington Hibs
20-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Top post.

Mirrors my view (although living now in London I could be called a hypocrite) :flag:

I do understand however why the less committed may be shy- but in time all will be forgiven

Feed McGraw
20-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I've read all the threads and completely understand them, from being pissed off at the last few seasons, to being pissed of at the ever changing managerial positions, to being pissed of at the Rod Petrie saga, to being pissed of with relegation, etc, etc, But
I've supported Hibs, as a few of us have, for over 50 years, and we have seen our fair share of disappointment over the years, but so have other clubs.
There are some some clubs that have never seen their team win a trophy, their are some clubs that have never been in the top league, but their fans still support them, still love them, I'm a great believer in when you decide the team that you support, will be the team you support for life, then you have to take the good times with the bad, I know this mind sound irritating but I sit with a mate as I have done for possibly 40 years, and not once have we ever said, this is the last season, we love them as we always have from, in my case 1954 and if my mate doesn't mind me saying, as he's a couple of years younger, from probably the same age.
My point is, for those fans still annoyed at the relegation from last season, and for those fans deciding not to go back until Petrie is out, here's what I say,
Don't punish the club you love because of certain individuals, they will come and go, and like it or not they will have, as they see it, done what they think is in the best interests of Hibernian Football Club, and I for one beleive that.
If you love the club, which I'm sure everyone on here does, then appreciate what we are getting now, lovely exciting football, good manager complimented with professional back room staff, probably one of the best in Leanne Dempster.
It's probably, if not better, than the Turnbulls Tornadoes, and that's sayiny something.
Me and my mate, and my Son and Daughter, will be their through thick and thin, as always, I urge every Hibs fan at this moment to get right behind the team, for me as one can see a bright future, upwards and onwards. InchHibby, that is a very good post, full of sentiments I can relate to. We also have things in common in that I was born and bred in The Inch and have supported Hibs for over 50 years, but I cannot accept that this team is better than Turnbull`s Tornadoes` - I am enjoying this team and the resurgence of Hibs as a whole, but they are a long way from the Tornadoes`- they were one of the best teams our beloved club has EVER seen.

snooky
20-03-2015, 08:16 PM
InchHibby, that is a very good post, full of sentiments I can relate to. We also have things in common in that I was born and bred in The Inch and have supported Hibs for over 50 years, but I cannot accept that this team is better than Turnbull`s Tornadoes` - I am enjoying this team and the resurgence of Hibs as a whole, but they are a long way from the Tornadoes`- they were one of the best teams our beloved club has EVER seen.

There's not one player that would oust any of the Tornados first team. The closest would be Fontaine for Black and that wouldn't be a certainty.
Still a long way to go for this team to reach the level of Pat's Platoon.

Feed McGraw
20-03-2015, 08:55 PM
There's not one player that would oust any of the Tornados first team. The closest would be Fontaine for Black and that wouldn't be a certainty.
Still a long way to go for this team to reach the level of Pat's Platoon. Its great we have a feelgood factor again but a step too far to be comparing them to that hallowed eleven .

Feed McGraw
20-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Its great we have a feelgood factor again but a step too far to be comparing them to that hallowed eleven . Having said that, this team has a chance to be truly immortal and put even the Tornadoes` in the shade :wink:.

iwasthere1972
20-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Season ticket last season, this season and will again be renewing for next season regardless of which league we are in.

Good post but team better than The Tornadoes? That's pushing it a bit.

Looking forward to Sunday.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Spike Mandela
20-03-2015, 09:23 PM

There is however one thing that makes us pretty unique at least in UK terms and possibly even in Europe. Can there be any other set of supporters who have seen their club fall at the final hurdle more than us. I don't mean like clubs who make 20 finals and lose 8, I mean a record like this: My finals since the first one in 1979.

Compare our Scottish cup records in finals to Hearts and Aberdeen.

Aberdeen have been in 15 finals winning 7...46.66% win rate
Hearts have been in 14 finals winning 8........57.14% win rate
Hibs have been in 13 finals winning 2............15.38% win rate

A really unexplainably low win rate for our team compared to other similar teams.

weecounty hibby
20-03-2015, 09:35 PM

Same as me. My first, second and third finals were in '79!! If you throw in our semi final appearances since then it is mind blowing how we come up short so regularly just as we get to the tickly bit in cups

Ronniekirk
20-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Compare our Scottish cup records in finals to Hearts and Aberdeen.

Aberdeen have been in 15 finals winning 7...46.66% win rate
Hearts have been in 14 finals winning 8........57.14% win rate
Hibs have been in 13 finals winning 2............15.38% win rate

A really unexplainably low win rate for our team compared to other similar teams.
So do you believe in Gypsy Curses or not

Spike Mandela
20-03-2015, 09:52 PM
So do you believe in Gypsy Curses or not

Can only be broken by a solar eclipse apparently.:cb

Ronniekirk
20-03-2015, 09:57 PM
Can only be broken by a solar eclipse apparently.:cb

Thats a new one on me ,but if that's what it takes :cup:. :aok:

Thecat23
20-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Great post, I'm born and bred in Moredun so if your ever in the Robins Nest, I will gladly buy you a beer!!

This season could be the biggest one ever IF we gained promotion and won the Scottish Cup!

IberianHibernian
20-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Great OP . Obviously agree that no individual ( director , player , manager etc ) is bigger than the club but it`s being unrealistic not to expect certain appointments (remember being pretty down when Alex Miller arrived for example and I can`t think of a few other examples ) or departures ( when Stanton left being a prime example ) not to affect fans`enthusiasm for club . Younger fans may not have same idea that players should be faithful to club ( Players and managers always talking of " moving onto something bigger and better " without feeling embarrassed ) . As for present team being better than Tornadoes I presume it`s been misunderstood . I`m as happy as anyone to see us on an unbeaten run and playing some good football but we`re playing in a rotten league ( because Hearts and The Rangers are there some people assume league is strong when it`s probably weaker than when we were in same league in 80/81 and 98/99 ) .

Argylehibby
20-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Our record in finals is dismal, but whether it's a curse or just plain bad luck other clubs do seem to get the breaks that we sadly don't.

In 79 we would would probably have won the first game of the 3 and therefore the cup if the ref at the time had given the penalty when McCloy rugby tackled (I think) Colin Cameron in the last few minutes. Even died in the wool Rangers fans admit that was a stone Waller.

Then compare that to the tax dodgers and charity cheats from Gorgie who won the cup in the late 90's when awarded a penalty in the 1st minute for a foul committed outside the box v old Rangers who were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the box for a foul committed inside the area in the last couple of minutes that would have drawn the game. Same tax dodgers 2-1 up against us and get a penalty for a foul 2 yards outside the box and the game is over for us.

We get the decision in 79 and they don't get the other ones and that's a 3 win swing. The cup win in between the 2 above for them was on penalties v Gretna, what is it with them and cup final penalties! Some say you make your own luck but that's not always the case and stats don't always tell the full story.

IberianHibernian
20-03-2015, 11:04 PM
Our record in finals is dismal, but whether it's a curse or just plain bad luck other clubs do seem to get the breaks that we sadly don't.

In 79 we would would probably have won the first game of the 3 and therefore the cup if the ref at the time had given the penalty when McCloy rugby tackled (I think) Colin Cameron in the last few minutes. Even died in the wool Rangers fans admit that was a stone Waller.

Then compare that to the tax dodgers and charity cheats from Gorgie who won the cup in the late 90's when awarded a penalty in the 1st minute for a foul committed outside the box v old Rangers who were then awarded a free kick on the edge of the box for a foul committed inside the area in the last couple of minutes that would have drawn the game. Same tax dodgers 2-1 up against us and get a penalty for a foul 2 yards outside the box and the game is over for us.

We get the decision in 79 and they don't get the other ones and that's a 3 win swing. The cup win in between the 2 above for them was on penalties v Gretna, what is it with them and cup final penalties! Some say you make your own luck but that's not always the case and stats don't always tell the full story.Colin Campbell not Cameron .

Springbank
20-03-2015, 11:12 PM
But otherwise spot on

Argylehibby
20-03-2015, 11:14 PM
Colin Campbell not Cameron .

I knew it wasn't right but couldn't get the right name in my head and couldn't be assed looking it up! Thanks!

Northernhibee
21-03-2015, 06:34 AM
That last cup final was heartbreaking, or captain out to injury, Leigh playing through an injury, Doyle's header saved from point blank range... Couldn't have had worse luck.

marinello59
21-03-2015, 06:59 AM
That last cup final was heartbreaking, or captain out to injury, Leigh playing through an injury, Doyle's header saved from point blank range... Couldn't have had worse luck.

We didn't lose because of bad luck though.

Thecat23
21-03-2015, 07:12 AM

We could have had a full strength team out wouldn't have made one bit of difference. Celtic were miles and I mean miles ahead of us in that final. Team was just to strong!

SlickShoes
21-03-2015, 07:42 AM
We could have had a full strength team out wouldn't have made one bit of difference. Celtic were miles and I mean miles ahead of us in that final. Team was just to strong!

If we manage to beat Falkirk then the very same will happen again. We seem to meet teams that are strong and on form in finals, I know that sounds daft because they must be doing well to reach the final but we seem to be able to reach finals with teams I wouldn't class anywhere near our best and like 2013 and 2001 we meet a strong motivated celtic team that has to play pretty badly for us to manage a win.

Take in to consideration that historically our post Christmas form has been dire and its a recipe for failure at the last or second last hurdle. At least this year we haven't fallen away after Christmas and we still look capable of beating anyone on our day.

GreenOnions
21-03-2015, 09:13 AM

Yep - pretty disappointing to say the least. I've been at six of these games too.

What I would say is that two of these games were against teams that were so severely doped financially and full of players they couldn't afford that they went into administration just before or after the finals (before the financial difficulties affected their playing staff). The rest were against the Old Firm apart from an Aberdeen team that was not far from its peak as one of the best teams in Europe at the time.

Yes - I know we still should have a better record - even against the Old Firm. However, quite a few of our non-Old Firm rivals who have won cups in the last fifteen years have done so in years where neither Rangers or Celtic were in the final and their opponents had not been cheating.

The Green Machine
21-03-2015, 10:05 AM
Fabulous post thats what i call a real supporter. Take a bow sir! :)

Thecat23
21-03-2015, 10:28 AM
If we manage to beat Falkirk then the very same will happen again. We seem to meet teams that are strong and on form in finals, I know that sounds daft because they must be doing well to reach the final but we seem to be able to reach finals with teams I wouldn't class anywhere near our best and like 2013 and 2001 we meet a strong motivated celtic team that has to play pretty badly for us to manage a win.

Take in to consideration that historically our post Christmas form has been dire and its a recipe for failure at the last or second last hurdle. At least this year we haven't fallen away after Christmas and we still look capable of beating anyone on our day.

I feel this team is mentally stronger than the two others that made the SC Final past few years. There is a real togetherness and if we did make the final and it's against Celtic, I would fancy us to still come back and score if we lost the first goal. Not saying we would go on to win it but we would defo give them a game unlike the other two finals where we didn't even bother turning up to be fair.

GreenOnions
21-03-2015, 10:44 AM
I feel this team is mentally stronger than the two others that made the SC Final past few years. There is a real togetherness and if we did make the final and it's against Celtic, I would fancy us to still come back and score if we lost the first goal. Not saying we would go on to win it but we would defo give them a game unlike the other two finals where we didn't even bother turning up to be fair.

I agree 100%

PeeJay
21-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Me and my mate, and my Son and Daughter, will be their through thick and thin, as always, I urge every Hibs fan at this moment to get right behind the team, for me as one can see a bright future, upwards and onwards.

While I understand the sentiment behind your post I think maybe you should also try to "understand" that disheartened or disappointed or even downright pissed off fans are perfectly entitled to complain when the club has been managed so badly for so long and that it has achieved so little despite having so much potential. Simply accepting the situation and saying it's my club is the wrong attitude IMO - Petrie and the incompetents in charge seem to have pulled the wool over some fans eyes again, yet again. It is quite unacceptable that he is still on board.

Your claim that what is currently being served up is better than Turnbull's Tornadoes is quite astonishing, but - each to their own - if you see it that way, fine, I don't myself. Personally, I'm not convinced by this team and its performances, it may just be good enough to claw its way out of the Championship, but it will not be capable of making any sustained challenge in the higher league. The question then will be whether the club invests in playing staff to help it do so. Experience would suggest that the answer here will be no. So we will be back in the top league, but achieving next to nothing.

I've lived most of my life now outside the UK, so I'm not a "typical" Hibs fan and my post will not reflect how most fans see things, but I don't really accept that we are playing what I would refer to as "exciting" football or that a bright future is now around the corner. And while some people do not wish to see it, 20 points behind a once "down and out" Hearts tells a tale! I expect more of the same never-ending mediocrity with maybe an odd league cup win thrown in. Frankly, it's not enough for me any more, maybe it would be different if I was still in Craigmillar and at ER every other week. However, the club's recent dismal failure to grasp the opportunity presented by Glasgow Rangers demise and Hearts problems - only to see us relegated was pretty much the last straw for me. The reasons for our constant underachievement are not outwith the club, but they lie deep inside it: the failure to realise this, face up to it and to change it are ultimately why we are were we are. I'm pretty much beyond caring now, stringing together a few victories in an awful league doesn't fool this fan of 50 years ... well, not any more. Guess this puts me out of the running for the "Überfan" award ...

1van Sprou7e
21-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Benfica have lost their last 8 European finals

hibbypostie
21-03-2015, 11:20 AM
probably the best post ive eve ra on here great shout GGTTH :gwa:

Brightside
21-03-2015, 11:24 AM
While I understand the sentiment behind your post I think maybe you should also try to "understand" that disheartened or disappointed or even downright pissed off fans are perfectly entitled to complain when the club has been managed so badly for so long and that it has achieved so little despite having so much potential. Simply accepting the situation and saying it's my club is the wrong attitude IMO - Petrie and the incompetents in charge seem to have pulled the wool over some fans eyes again, yet again. It is quite unacceptable that he is still on board.

Your claim that what is currently being served up is better than Turnbull's Tornadoes is quite astonishing, but - each to their own - if you see it that way, fine, I don't myself. Personally, I'm not convinced by this team and its performances, it may just be good enough to claw its way out of the Championship, but it will not be capable of making any sustained challenge in the higher league. The question then will be whether the club invests in playing staff to help it do so. Experience would suggest that the answer here will be no. So we will be back in the top league, but achieving next to nothing.

I've lived most of my life now outside the UK, so I'm not a "typical" Hibs fan and my post will not reflect how most fans see things, but I don't really accept that we are playing what I would refer to as "exciting" football or that a bright future is now around the corner. And while some people do not wish to see it, 20 points behind a once "down and out" Hearts tells a tale! I expect more of the same never-ending mediocrity with maybe an odd league cup win thrown in. Frankly, it's not enough for me any more, maybe it would be different if I was still in Craigmillar and at ER every other week. However, the club's recent dismal failure to grasp the opportunity presented by Glasgow Rangers demise and Hearts problems - only to see us relegated was pretty much the last straw for me. The reasons for our constant underachievement are not outwith the club, but they lie deep inside it: the failure to realise this, face up to it and to change it are ultimately why we are were we are. I'm pretty much beyond caring now, stringing together a few victories in an awful league doesn't fool this fan of 50 years ... well, not any more. Guess this puts me out of the running for the "Überfan" award ...

You're not really a fan at all though are you. Watch the games on the internet - slate the team - slag the players - and state that we don't play exciting football? You care enough to constantly pick out the faults in the club - even this season when there are so many positives. All very odd.

portyhibernian
21-03-2015, 11:45 AM
I agree with some of what PeeJay says. What happened to us over the last 7-8 years is unacceptable and the fault lies squarely at the clubs door for that. The top league in Scotland while better than the league we're in just now is still a poor standard and I don't think I ever realised quite how terrible we were for the last 3-4 years until I watch teams like Ross County and Hamilton and wonder how they ever played in the league above us, let alone beat us. Bad times indeed. Last 7-8 years aside, I'm 25 and being honest we've never really been any great shakes in my lifetime.

That all being said, I do think the club has taken some very positive steps in the last 9 months or so. I'm not sure how much influence Petrie has anymore but it seems like there's been change for the better across the board since Leeann Dempster arrived. Most importantly, ON the park we seem to be getting it right at last. It's true, the Championship is a frankly terrible league - worse than I thought it was previously. But in my opinion we are probably at least a mid table standard SPL team at this current point.

On another thread I let my heart rule my head and chose the Scottish Cup over promotion if given the choice, but the reality is we MUST get promotion this season for the recovery to continue.

Capt Mainwaring
21-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Your certainly not a "typical" fan as you say. In fact your not a fan at all. Never read such depressing negativity - and not sure your point in posting if you are "beyond caring".

If you are stuck in the past , you'll never move forward. There's a ton of positive progress been made since last season if you care to look for it

Pretty Boy
21-03-2015, 12:04 PM

You're 'beyond caring' yet still took the time to type out a long winded post that ripped to shreds everything about the club?

Probably time to find a new hobby.

ALF TUPPER
22-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Great post, I'm born and bred in Moredun so if your ever in the Robins Nest," I WILL GLADLY BUY YOU A BEER !! "

This season could be the biggest one ever IF we gained promotion and won the Scottish Cup!

I am InchHibby! 😉