PDA

View Full Version : This speaks volumes about how much has changed at Hibs.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
20-03-2015, 05:17 PM
Fantastic to read. http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lewis-stevenson-we-are-fitter-than-ever-at-hibs-1-3723440

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Frankly makes my blood boil.

What an effin waste of resources since 07. Did Collins blow it off course before allowing good practice to bed in or did we suffer from having the wrong support team or a teama that were not allowed/unable to deliver (it would appear so).

Professionalism should be a given at a club like Hibs - or any in the top flight. How the hell did standards drop so low?

The sad thing was when I asked at LWT meetings I attended (the first year and there's much good work done since then) it seemed that reflection on what we'd achieved versus what we'd like to was not done and it was pretty much up to the football gods - not much point in having a strategy... Look forward not back but then you never learn the lessons.

O'Rourke3
20-03-2015, 05:40 PM
Collins left the day after the training centre was opened so he could hardly of blown anything off course. It's a shame there have been so many wasted opportunities inbetween time. It seems we knew we needed something like a training centre but no-one had a clue how to use it.

worcesterhibby
20-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Fantastic to read. http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/lewis-stevenson-we-are-fitter-than-ever-at-hibs-1-3723440

The real test is to ensure that this is the standard that is expected at Hibs from now on and for ever more. Stubbs will leave at some point, we need to ensure that any future manager has a similar philosophy.

Whoever the Hibs players were who made a Young Lewis Stevenson feel embarrassed if he wanted to do extra training should hold their head in shame.

Just Alf
20-03-2015, 05:46 PM
I just think of all those players that seem to get better once they left.... Imagine if they were all at their best when with us over the past few years.... "What if's" right enough :-(

20-03-2015, 05:54 PM
Collins left the day after the training centre was opened so he could hardly of blown anything off course. It's a shame there have been so many wasted opportunities inbetween time. It seems we knew we needed something like a training centre but no-one had a clue how to use it.

Well thats it really. The training centre was there and that was all very well and good but it's pretty useless if its being used ineffectively. My guess is that too many players in the past seen it more as a luxury rather than a resource to achieve maximum fitness. Stubbs and his back room staff seem to be promoting far stricter personal fitness programmes which is obviously paying off.

I think Stubbs has instilled a new kind of mentality within the team and the players all seem to have an awful lot of respect for him. Not only has he build a team of physically fitter players, he seems to have created a strong mental attitude as well and a team that wants to fight for the cause. As I mentioned in a previous thread, if you take the Livingston game last week as an example, we lost a very late equaliser yet had the spirit and the fight to push on and grab a winner. That would never have happened under Butcher, our heads would have gone down and we would quite possibly have then gone on to concede another. The players trust each other and the team spirit and morale is clearly really high.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2015, 05:55 PM

I'd disagree. Who was the man who evangelised fitness? Who was the man whod experience of using such facilities?

Were we left in the lurch (and I'm no Collins bashed I think he was probably the last time I sat up and thought wow! We can attract someone of his stature and calibre) by him? Folks that came after - culminating in the calamitous couple of TB and MM - did not appear to buy in or know how to leverage the facilities - maybe it was not their remit?

overdrive
20-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Frankly makes my blood boil.

What an effin waste of resources since 07. Did Collins blow it off course before allowing good practice to bed in or did we suffer from having the wrong support team or a teama that were not allowed/unable to deliver (it would appear so).

Professionalism should be a given at a club like Hibs - or any in the top flight. How the hell did standards drop so low?

The sad thing was when I asked at LWT meetings I attended (the first year and there's much good work done since then) it seemed that reflection on what we'd achieved versus what we'd like to was not done and it was pretty much up to the football gods - not much point in having a strategy... Look forward not back but then you never learn the lessons.

The manager who I really can't work out why they didn't know how to use the training centre is Calderwood. I can forgive Mixu, Yogi, Fenlon and (grudgingly) Butcher as they either didn't play at a particularly high level in the modern era or hadn't previously coached a highly elite level before so may not have been aware of the cutting-edge in training and fitness.

Calderwood played in the Premiership, came to us from coaching a Premiership club and had manager at a decent enough level in England prior to joining us. He absolutely would and should have known how a training centre should be utilised. Another reason the man makes my blood boil.

Humo
20-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Seemed properly wasted under Fenlon as well. Will never forget Paul Cairney rocking up after a full pre season with us with a beer belly

Pretty Boy
20-03-2015, 06:00 PM
It's a shame we had to sink so low, even allowing for restructuring having started pre relegation, but I think I'm in the better late than never camp.

The training centre has been wasted but we seem to be getting the best from it now and the structure in place seems to mean that a change of manager, which there inevitably will be, won't see the upheaval it once did.

Yep it's a shame it took such a fall from grace to kick start change but we are heading the right way now so time to look forward.

20-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Probably because theres a lot of competition for first team places everyone is trying to push themselves physically to try and get an edge. A really healthy thing to have at the club as it eradicates some of the laziness we have seen so much of in recent years.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-03-2015, 06:02 PM
The real test is to ensure that this is the standard that is expected at Hibs from now on and for ever more. Stubbs will leave at some point, we need to ensure that any future manager has a similar philosophy.

Whoever the Hibs players were who made a Young Lewis Stevenson feel embarrassed if he wanted to do extra training should hold their head in shame.

100% this. Players should take pride and be recognised for their fitness (player of the year already takes care of other aspects.

When I was heavily into American football (showing my age for those aware) Darrell Green (a Cornerback for the Redskins) was the quickest player in the league for a number of seasons on the trot. It was a badge of honour. There were trials held at the beginning of the season to allow teams to compete for the award. Hibs have already implemented a hall of fame - so why not take another leaf out of American Football?

Pretty Boy
20-03-2015, 06:15 PM
As an aside how strange are the Hearts fans in the EEN comments?

There's 2 or 3 who pop up on every story related to Hibs. It goes way beyond obsession.

andrew70
20-03-2015, 06:25 PM
As much as East Mains has been incorrectly used in the last seven years it is worth remembering it's not just a Hibs problem.

Up until recently Scottish clubs have been so far behind in their training methods and fitness regimes. It takes better coaches in the mould of Stubbs and Deila to transform that way of thinking. Modern day football moved on years ago - we are only just catching up over here.

Remember Deila angered Celtic fans early doors and Stubbs struggled initially with a team who were majorly below par fitness wise. Since they have been able to work with their squads I don't think anyone can argue with the results.

If we are able to get promoted this summer then I fully believe that we'll see a major difference between ourselves and the rest of the teams when it comes to fitness as well as talent.

Also the current set up ensures that when Stubbs moves on these practices will be kept in place. A continental structure for the Capital's best club.

20-03-2015, 06:26 PM
As an aside how strange are the Hearts fans in the EEN comments?

There's 2 or 3 who pop up on every story related to Hibs. It goes way beyond obsession.

Some things never change. Despite us being the so called "wee team" they are utterly obsessed with us and have to involve us in absolutely everything they do.

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Some things never change. Despite us being the so called "wee team" they are utterly obsessed with us and have to involve us in absolutely everything they do.

Yeh .. the article gives an idea of the changes at Hibs. The comments prove sod all has changed at hearts ... still the same bunch of unjustifiably arrogant blowhards :agree:

Their bummin' aboot winning the league is a bit like a convicted pervert boasting about having their sentence reduced.

WillowbraeHibby
20-03-2015, 06:41 PM

:agree: Aye, I would certainly agree with your post... :yw: <-------------- So does he... !!!!!

emerald green
20-03-2015, 06:41 PM
What Stevenson says is symptomatic of the failure of leadership, and lack of professionalism, at HFC for years. His quote below says it all.

Stevenson explained that the ultra-professional approach implemented by Stubbs and his staff this season hasn’t always been evident in previous years at Hibs.

“It’s just so much more professional now,” said Stevenson. “I remember when I first came to Hibs, it almost felt as if you were looked down upon if you did a bit extra and went to the gym and stuff like that.

20-03-2015, 07:01 PM
What Stevenson says is symptomatic of the failure of leadership, and lack of professionalism, at HFC for years. His quote below says it all.

Stevenson explained that the ultra-professional approach implemented by Stubbs and his staff this season hasn’t always been evident in previous years at Hibs.

“It’s just so much more professional now,” said Stevenson. “I remember when I first came to Hibs, it almost felt as if you were looked down upon if you did a bit extra and went to the gym and stuff like that.

Exactly, as I said, too many players in the past using East Mains as a luxury rather than a resource to boost personal fitness. Glad we seem to have gotten rid of some of that attitude and culture.

Baader
20-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Fitness should be a given for any professional football club - it was shocking how out of shape some of our players looked the past few years. It cost us.

It's so obvious the change in attitude Stubbs and his staff have made and good to see the players are buying into it. There seems a togetherness and a positivity running through the club that sadly had been lacking for too many years.

emerald green
20-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Exactly, as I said, too many players in the past using East Mains as a luxury rather than a resource to boost personal fitness. Glad we seem to have gotten rid of some of that attitude and culture.

:agree: I just do not understand why that sort of attitude was allowed to exist in the first place at a professional football club.

derekduval
20-03-2015, 07:22 PM
100% this. Players should take pride and be recognised for their fitness (player of the year already takes care of other aspects.

When I was heavily into American football (showing my age for those aware) Darrell Green (a Cornerback for the Redskins) was the quickest player in the league for a number of seasons on the trot. It was a badge of honour. There were trials held at the beginning of the season to allow teams to compete for the award. Hibs have already implemented a hall of fame - so why not take another leaf out of American Football?

I seem to remember the English leagues doing something like this years ago and watching it on Sunday morning tv. Anyone else remember this or have I just made it up.:confused:

meeks0-7
20-03-2015, 07:55 PM
The manager who I really can't work out why they didn't know how to use the training centre is Calderwood. I can forgive Mixu, Yogi, Fenlon and (grudgingly) Butcher as they either didn't play at a particularly high level in the modern era or hadn't previously coached a highly elite level before so may not have been aware of the cutting-edge in training and fitness.

Calderwood played in the Premiership, came to us from coaching a Premiership club and had manager at a decent enough level in England prior to joining us. He absolutely would and should have known how a training centre should be utilised. Another reason the man makes my blood boil.

As far as I remember didn't JC want to introduce basically what AS is doing now but the players rebelled and the board backed the players which was the last straw for JC.
Quite rightly he probably thought what was the point in spending millions on a state of the art training centre but then back the people who don't want to use it to it's full potential! Sums up the next 7 years at our club really 😒

The_Exile
20-03-2015, 08:09 PM
It was Dempster who probably realised before she even took the job how poorly the training facility was being used. She then brought in a manager that would use it to its full capabilities. That's why even if we had stayed up Butcher would've gone IMO, as he wasn't capable of fitting in to the new structure which revolves around East Mains.

Ozyhibby
20-03-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm almost certain that it's Leeann and George Craig who are driving this.
Stubbs only brought his coaching staff, the fitness, nutrition and recruitment staff were appointed by Hibs.

Brightside
20-03-2015, 08:54 PM
I'll never understand players who don't want to be in for extra training.

Brightside
20-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Stubbs only brought his coaching staff, the fitness, nutrition and recruitment staff were appointed by Hibs.

Correct its a change from bottom to top... No matter what happens this season Leeann and George need to take all the credit for the turnaround.

greenlex
20-03-2015, 08:56 PM
As far as I remember didn't JC want to introduce basically what AS is doing now but the players rebelled and the board backed the players which was the last straw for JC.
Quite rightly he probably thought what was the point in spending millions on a state of the art training centre but then back the people who don't want to use it to it's full potential! Sums up the next 7 years at our club really 😒
The board or anyone else for that matter didnt back the players but f it's said enough times it wil or maybe already has become fact.

Northernhibee
20-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Wee Lewie really is the absolute model professional.

jacomo
20-03-2015, 09:39 PM
:agree: I just do not understand why that sort of attitude was allowed to exist in the first place at a professional football club.

Me neither. I agree that we need to look forward as a club but have to admit feeling a residual anger at the sheer lack of professionalism we have had to witness over the years. Ineptitude from the very top.

O'Rourke3
20-03-2015, 09:44 PM
I'd disagree. Who was the man who evangelised fitness? Who was the man whod experience of using such facilities?

Were we left in the lurch (and I'm no Collins bashed I think he was probably the last time I sat up and thought wow! We can attract someone of his stature and calibre) by him? Folks that came after - culminating in the calamitous couple of TB and MM - did not appear to buy in or know how to leverage the facilities - maybe it was not their remit?

VP I'm having a bad day concentration wise. Are you suggesting that Collins leaving was what blew us off course or Collins blew us off course then left? He chose to stop which is his prerogative or he felt that he could no longer work with this bosses due to a difference of vision. Whether or not under his stewardship we were the fittest most professional team in the league - not using the facilities cannot possibly be down to someone who saw the facilities open then leave?

tamig
20-03-2015, 10:13 PM

Agreed. George Craig has said before that he wanted to introduce a footballing strategy so far as the set up was concerned from the first team right down to the kids. It wouldn't matter who the first team coach was - they would need to fit into the strategy. Full credit to Alan Stubbs and the coaching staff, but it's Craig who put all the fitness gurus in place.

speedy_gonzales
20-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Who was the man who evangelised fitness? Who was the man whod experience of using such facilities?

Shaft? John Shaft?

matty_f
20-03-2015, 11:10 PM
Shaft? John Shaft?

:faf:

Kato
20-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Quite rightly he probably thought what was the point in spending millions on a state of the art training centre but then back the people who don't want to use it to it's full potential! Sums up the next 7 years at our club really 

"K'nell.

There's a "Nessie" thread on the Holy Ground board tailor made for you.

The_Exile
20-03-2015, 11:24 PM

Meeks this is a myth, the players were told, by Rod may I add, to go **** themselves.

Purple & Green
20-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Agreed. George Craig has said before that he wanted to introduce a footballing strategy so far as the set up was concerned from the first team right down to the kids. It wouldn't matter who the first team coach was - they would need to fit into the strategy. Full credit to Alan Stubbs and the coaching staff, but it's Craig who put all the fitness gurus in place.

You could have wrote that word for word about mcleish and his fitness bloke 17 years ago, wish I could remember his name.

dalgetybayhibee
20-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Well thats it really. The training centre was there and that was all very well and good but it's pretty useless if its being used ineffectively. My guess is that too many players in the past seen it more as a luxury rather than a resource to achieve maximum fitness. Stubbs and his back room staff seem to be promoting far stricter personal fitness programmes which is obviously paying off.

I think Stubbs has instilled a new kind of mentality within the team and the players all seem to have an awful lot of respect for him. Not only has he build a team of physically fitter players, he seems to have created a strong mental attitude as well and a team that wants to fight for the cause. As I mentioned in a previous thread, if you take the Livingston game last week as an example, we lost a very late equaliser yet had the spirit and the fight to push on and grab a winner. That would never have happened under Butcher, our heads would have gone down and we would quite possibly have then gone on to concede another. The players trust each other and the team spirit and morale is clearly really high.

well said totally agree

Dashing Bob S
21-03-2015, 12:19 AM
Sadly it looks as if the George Street culture is a thing of the past. A shame, as I liked a squad that showed they could put away a fair amount of lager and charlie, and if any Jambos, bouncers, or members of the local constabulary fancied their chances, so much the better. I supposed I'm just an old school purist who'll never accept all this 'footballers as athletes' nonsense. I always liked to a see a pro carrying a bit of extra timber in his last few seasons, in order to transition nicely into the pulling pints role. Ah well.

tamig
21-03-2015, 01:12 PM
You could have wrote that word for word about mcleish and his fitness bloke 17 years ago, wish I could remember his name.

Can't remember McLeish being big on the fitness front but JC did have the French guy Propos (think that was his name).

Phil D. Rolls
21-03-2015, 01:27 PM
I'll never understand players who don't want to be in for extra training.

I take it you love doing extra shifts at your work?

Robinho08
21-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Extra shifts at my work wouldn't improve my fitness and a chance to move to a bigger work earning more money. They're meant to be athletes.

Brightside
21-03-2015, 02:05 PM

Always amusing when people use that come back.

In any walk of work if you want to get better paid you up your sellable skills. A player who doesn't want to do extra training obviously doesn't want to improve.

PPZPOL
21-03-2015, 02:25 PM

Slightly different when your working day is "a few hours and away home" as Stevenson alludes to in the interview. Not exactly 8 hours sitting at a desk or under floorboards etc.

Lewis77
21-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I blame Butcher! That's my go to for everything these days. I stood on a drawing pin this morning, I blamed Butcher!

Ozyhibby
21-03-2015, 05:32 PM

Unpaid overtime is common in many professions among young professionals wishing to get ahead.

greenlex
21-03-2015, 06:48 PM
Shaft? John Shaft?
:faf::thumbsup::top marks

Forza Fred
21-03-2015, 08:31 PM
I tend to take 'we're fitter under this managerr more than ever before" stories with a healthy pinch of salt.

I've yet to read a story where a player when asked, suggests that he is not fitter under his current manager than previous managers.

Eyrie
21-03-2015, 08:34 PM

Depends on whether you enjoy what you do for a living.

I'd readily have put in extra hours if I'd been well paid to play football. And let's face it, the average first team wage at Easter Road is probably more than many of us get paid.

Ozyhibby
21-03-2015, 10:03 PM
I tend to take 'we're fitter under this managerr more than ever before" stories with a healthy pinch of salt.

I've yet to read a story where a player when asked, suggests that he is not fitter under his current manager than previous managers.

Difference this time is that we don't need Lewis Stevenson to tell us they are fitter.

Purple & Green
23-03-2015, 09:47 PM
Can't remember McLeish being big on the fitness front but JC did have the French guy Propos (think that was his name).

Ewan Gillies - http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/premier-managers-are-singing-his-praises-but-young-hibs-striker-takes-it-all-in-his-stride-miller-ready-to-make-mark-as-he-sets-out-his-goals-1.252834

''That spell helped my confidence, sharpened up my game, and I came back in good shape. Since then, I have worked on my game and it has improved a lot. Much of that has to be put down to Alex and Andy Watson and Ewan Gillies, who works us hard in the gym

There's another article I found which Shaun Dennis talks about the club being virtually teetotal because of the training regimes McLeish and gillies had in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk