PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Griffiths - Court Date Set over that song

Ants
18-03-2015, 03:37 PM
EEN reporting that Leigh is to be summoned to court over his alleged sing of the Rudi song.
Will they now trawl back through all the CCTV/media streams available to prosecute others who they can identify for singing that song?

Nutmegged
18-03-2015, 03:44 PM
The guy who posted the video is a disgrace, everyone who can be identified in the video should face the same punishment as Griffiths, I fail to see how its deemed racist though, bad taste for sure although I think a football related chant/song in what should be the privacy of a football pub in the hours before a huge derby game shouldn't be deemed the same as intentionally victimising someone

scuttle
18-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Sparky should get Donald Findlay to defend him, if I remember correctly he likes a song or two

Springbank
18-03-2015, 04:23 PM
Get him jailed over the date of the cup final

Come on the Hibees

This Is The Year

Keith_M
18-03-2015, 04:58 PM
Get him jailed over the date of the cup final

Come on the Hibees

This Is The Year

Actually, wasn't Scott Brown in the pub singing the song as well?

:wink:

silverhibee
18-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Actually, wasn't Scott Brown in the pub singing the song as well?

You can clearly see Anthony Stokes in the video as well, think he was singing another song though. :wink: :greengrin

Pete
18-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Are there any Falkirk players in the video?

Keith_M
18-03-2015, 05:21 PM
You can clearly see Anthony Stokes in the video as well, think he was singing another song though. :wink: :greengrin

Now you mention it, I think he was singing along with Craig Gordon at the back.

Andy74
18-03-2015, 05:26 PM
The guy who posted the video is a disgrace, everyone who can be identified in the video should face the same punishment as Griffiths, I fail to see how its deemed racist though, bad taste for sure although I think a football related chant/song in what should be the privacy of a football pub in the hours before a huge derby game shouldn't be deemed the same as intentionally victimising someone

Crazy for this to get to court.

At worst it is suggesting being a refugee is a bad thing. Refugee in itself is a tricky thing to pin down so hard to see who might be offended by the quite tame notion that being a refugee is bad.

Now, all the Hibees are gay...just the same and suggesting that being gay is a bad thing. I haven't heard of anyone getting taken to court for singing it. Hearts players have even tweeted it.

NAE NOOKIE
18-03-2015, 05:38 PM
Sparky should get Donald Findlay to defend him, if I remember correctly he likes a song or two

Has Donald Findlay ever successfully defended anybody? As far as I have seen from the telly its not will you be found guilty, but how long will you get if DF is your brief.

6 months should do it :greengrin

Pete
18-03-2015, 05:39 PM

At worst it is suggesting being a refugee is a bad thing. Refugee in itself is a tricky thing to pin down so hard to see who might be offended by the quite tame notion that being a refugee is bad.

Now, all the Hibees are gay...just the same and suggesting that being gay is a bad thing. I haven't heard of anyone getting taken to court for singing it. Hearts players have even tweeted it.

:agree:

TowerHibs
18-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Has Donald Findlay ever successfully defended anybody? As far as I have seen from the telly its not will you be found guilty, but how long will you get if DF is your brief.

To be fair, I was doing a but of studying and watched a few of DF cases. He's excellent at his job and if he is defending someone, it is usually to ensure the prosecution has got their case water tight.

NAE NOOKIE
18-03-2015, 05:59 PM

Refugees are not a race, a creed, a religion or a nation. I'm not sure what he can be charged with that is covered by laws designed to combat bigotry or racism, surely the prosecution would have to prove that refugees fall into one of these categories. He would also not be being unreasonable in asking why he has been singled out from a pub with 100 odd people in it most of whom were doing what he was. Its a question that has to be answered IMO. To charge one individual because they are a celebrity and ignore everybody else is not treating everybody with equality under the law as far as I can see.

Keith_M
18-03-2015, 06:05 PM
A good lawyer would point out that Giffiths actually only said the words "Rudi Skacel", then stopped.

How was he supposed to know that other people in the pub would go on to sing a (possibly) offensive song about refugees?

gringojoe
18-03-2015, 07:22 PM
To be fair, I was doing a but of studying and watched a few of DF cases. He's excellent at his job and if he is defending someone, it is usually to ensure the prosecution has got their case water tight.

I always think whoever DF is defending is guilty just because he is defending them.

NAE NOOKIE
18-03-2015, 07:45 PM
I always think whoever DF is defending is guilty just because he is defending them.

unfortunately so do juries :greengrin

Sir David Gray
18-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Any decent lawyer worth their salt will get this laughed out of court.

What a waste of public money.

silverhibee
18-03-2015, 07:49 PM

Paul Ferris.

silverhibee
18-03-2015, 07:55 PM

Hibs obviously think it is a offensive song, the refugee one.

Eyrie
18-03-2015, 08:15 PM
That refugee song must be far more offensive than the "traditional folk songs" that are sung by Sevco Huns and Septic fans every week, because nothing is ever done about those.

jodjam
18-03-2015, 08:25 PM

He defended my partner when she took army to court. Big don won

Andy74
18-03-2015, 08:31 PM
Hibs obviously think it is a offensive song, the refugee one.

Offensive doesn't mean it is criminal though. If it is it's still extremely selective given what we hear elsewhere.

southern hibby
18-03-2015, 09:24 PM
If he is found not guilty does this mean in Scotland under a Scottish court it was found to be non sectarian,so we can sing it??

GGTTH

sh00byd00
18-03-2015, 09:47 PM
That refugee song must be far more offensive than the "traditional folk songs" that are sung by Sevco Huns and Septic fans every week, because nothing is ever done about those.

Genuine question, has any Celtic fan been dragged through court recently or in the last year or 2 for singing their "traditional folk songs"? I disagree about the Sevco fans, they do seem to be getting pulled up and fined. Granted, not as often as they should but I have read about some getting arrested.

marinello59
18-03-2015, 09:52 PM

Those tame notions of racism and homophobia you mean?
Now all we need to do is throw in a healthy dose of whataboutery whilst taking the moral high ground over those Old Firm ruffians and we're sorted.:thumbsup:.

Pretty Boy
18-03-2015, 10:06 PM
It's a stupid, stupid song but probably doesn't fall into the category of racism.

Thankfully it seems to have been consigned to the bin around ER these days.

Hibbyradge
18-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Genuine question, has any Celtic fan been dragged through court recently or in the last year or 2 for singing their "traditional folk songs"? I disagree about the Sevco fans, they do seem to be getting pulled up and fined. Granted, not as often as they should but I have read about some getting arrested.

Which songs do they sing that should lead to arrests?

Genuine question.

Sir David Gray
18-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Which songs do they sing that should lead to arrests?

Genuine question.

Any of the songs in support of the IRA perhaps?

macca70
18-03-2015, 10:30 PM
You just need to go onto Youtube and there is a video clearly showing a current East Fife player signing the same song.

silverhibee
18-03-2015, 11:47 PM
You just need to go onto Youtube and there is a video clearly showing a current East Fife player signing the same song.

He was fined by his club at the time for the incident.

He also wrote an apology to the player.

These new laws were not in force at that time the East Fife player was caught singing it.

And lets not forget the 1000s of Hibs fans that have sung it at ER and the bus shelter.

What was your point about the East Fife player again.

--------
19-03-2015, 12:58 AM
EEN reporting that Leigh is to be summoned to court over his alleged sing of the Rudi song.
Will they now trawl back through all the CCTV/media streams available to prosecute others who they can identify for singing that song?

I do hope it's VERY VERY soon, and I hope they remand him in custody until the trial, set some time in next year.

I don't want even the faintest of chances that he'll be playing against us in any match this season. End of.

macca70
19-03-2015, 07:51 AM
He was fined by his club at the time for the incident.

He also wrote an apology to the player.

These new laws were not in force at that time the East Fife player was caught singing it.

And lets not forget the 1000s of Hibs fans that have sung it at ER and the bus shelter.

What was your point about the East Fife player again.

Calm Down!!

i wasn't having a go at Riordan, just using it as an example that there is plenty evidence of others singing the exact same song so why is Griffiths being singled out?

So your saying the law changed, we could sing this previously but Griffiths has been caught post law changes?

silverhibee
19-03-2015, 03:55 PM
Calm Down!!

i wasn't having a go at Riordan, just using it as an exams that there is entry evidence of others singing the exact same song so why is Griffiths being singled out?

So your saying the law changed, we could sing this previously but Griffiths has been caught post law changes?

There is loads of examples of Hibs fans singing this song, why the police have decided to pick on Griffiths i don't no, maybe hertz having being putting pressure on the SFA/ Police to do something about it, the Budge hasn't been shy in throwing mud at other clubs for singing illegal songs so who is to say she hasn't been demanding something be done about Griffiths for singing a inappropriate song about a ex yam player, whether it should go to court, i don't think so, but the PF obviously think they have a case for taking LG to court, now unless they have a witness who is willing to testify to say they seen LG sing and start the song in the pub that day then I'm thinking LG could walk away with a Not Guilty, but then again when you read this http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/je-suis-billy-boy-free-speech-for-football-fans/16774#.VQre2I6sUno maybe not, 4 months the guy got and a football banning order, i don't no if he has previous for other crimes but 4 months seems very harsh, this new law seems to cover anything you do bad at a football game or the surrounding areas on the day, just looking shifty and fidgeting will bring Police attention to you, from a court case in Perth where a Hibs fan was charged at a St Johnstone game, "The accused was seen looking shifty and suspicious and moving an item about, so he was spoken to. He was fidgeting. He was told he would be searched for possession of a firearm.", a f***ing firearm, the polis and this new law is a joke and just gives them the power/excuse to pull anyone they want and stop and search football fans, and that is what we are, football fans, not a big crowd of criminals attending a football game, but this law gives them the power to stop and search anyone attending a football game or in the surrounding area of the game being played.

Griffiths has a very good lawyer and I'm sure she will be well prepared for this case, he can't deny not being there as there is another video of him singing another song in the pub on the same day and not a very good photo of him inside the ground on the same day, the grey hoodie does him no favours, and not forgetting that the SFA have decided to wait until Scottish Police have concluded there investigation in to the refugee song and the hertz are going bust one as well, the worry for LG is if he gets found guilty, that he has previous for racial things and could possibly see him being given a prison term, a football banning order (how that works i don't no if you are a pro footballer) and be assured the SFA would hammer him with something silly like a 20 match ban.

It will be interesting to see who the complainer is who brought this to Scottish Police attention, i take it there has to be a complainer to bring a charge, or do Scottish Police just look at videos of people with a high profile and target them as they are easy targets to arrest and not care about the other hundred or so who were also singing the same song in the pub on that day, which it looks like they done on this occasion.

SonOfDavidFrancey
19-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Can any agony aunt out there explain something which is troubling me?

Just one short year ago I thought LG was a beautiful yet deeply masculine figure, a Greek god lookalike of limitless charm whose puckish good looks and anti authoritarian stance meant he somehow combined the charms of both deity and mortal.

Now he looks like n ugly wee bassa who I would like to send to jail.

Can anyone with more experience of the world explain my change of feelings?

superfurryhibby
19-03-2015, 07:23 PM

Just one short year ago I thought LG was a beautiful yet deeply masculine figure, a Greek god lookalike of limitless charm whose puckish good looks and anti authoritarian stance meant he somehow combined the charms of both deity and mortal.

You're fickle hearted, dazed and confused?

ancient hibee
19-03-2015, 07:31 PM

You've come to your senses I would say.

Eyrie
19-03-2015, 08:33 PM

It's normal for your feelings to turn septic when the object of your desires decides to ingratiate himself with a younger but clearly inferior version of you.

Fortunately you still have Lewis Stevenson, although you need to share his affections with 8-10000 other admirers.

Wheat Hound
19-03-2015, 08:38 PM
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-31962928

now this numpty deserves the jail!

mca
19-03-2015, 08:46 PM

He should get time for that.. 3 Strikes.. :wink:

silverhibee
19-03-2015, 08:49 PM

No other sentence for him this time round, has to be the tin pale.

Aldo
19-03-2015, 08:55 PM
No other sentence for him this time round, has to be the tin pale. Indeed didn't realise it was the 3rd time. Hope he got a soap on a rope set for Crimbo!! :-)

Sir David Gray
19-03-2015, 09:36 PM

Pretty certain he'll get a custodial sentence this time.

Three times for police assault should mean jail time.

Billy Whizz
19-03-2015, 09:37 PM

Be interesting to see what Dundee do about this, if he goes to jail, think they were aware of the case when they signed him

Bristolhibby
19-03-2015, 09:43 PM

He's got hair now.

J

cabbageandribs1875
19-03-2015, 09:48 PM

200 hours community service, 90 days in jail suspended for 18 months, and ordered to attend anger management and alcohol* awareness classes....that's my guess

* if he likes a bevy that is

Sir David Gray
19-03-2015, 10:06 PM
200 hours community service, 90 days in jail suspended for 18 months, and ordered to attend anger management and alcohol* awareness classes....that's my guess

* if he likes a bevy that is

You might be right there but if an ordinary man in the street was convicted three times of assaulting a Police officer, I would say that a few months at Her Majesty's Pleasure would be inevitable.

tamig
20-03-2015, 01:35 AM

Donald Findlay often defends the indefensible - and comes up trumps time and again. There have been quite a few cases where his clients have got off on the notorious not proven verdict. Francis Auld being a case in point.

Keith_M
20-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Donald Findlay often defends the indefensible - and comes up trumps time and again. There have been quite a few cases where his clients have got off on the notorious not proven verdict. Francis Auld being a case in point.

Like guys related to to UVF terrorists that murder Celtc Fans for no other reason than they were 'Fenians'.

Bishop Hibee
20-03-2015, 04:17 PM
The Rudi Skacel chant is offensive and ignorant but can it be racist? Police Scotland should concentrate resources apprehending those responsible for the crazy number of house break-ins and car thefts in Edinburgh I hear about. Two of my hub caps were nicked recently and I'm sure most on here could give stories of thefts from or assaults on them or acquaintances in Edinburgh in the last year or two.

macca70
20-03-2015, 04:44 PM

Yip, defended the limbs in the loch guy.

The guy that picked up a 18 yr old lad whilst he was walking home from a night out. Took him back to his flat, hand cuffed his hands and legs together, raped him, cut his body up in the flat, took the head in a plastic bag onto a ferry to N.Ireland and chucked it over the side into the sea and dumped the other body parts in Loch Lomond.

The flat was rife with evidence, he then does a runner to Holland and has to be extradited.

But Donald Findlay still takes the case on to try get the guy off. Wonder if it had anything to do with the accused bedroom being decked out in Union jacks & Rangers gear?!

This was after he'd previously got the guy off on an identical case when the case collapsed and DF got him off on technicalities in the legal system!!

Unbelievable that anyone would take on that case to defend someone that done that to another human being.

CropleyWasGod
20-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Yip, defended the limbs in the loch guy.

The guy that picked up a 18 yr old lad whilst he was walking home from a night out. Took him back to his flat, hand cuffed his hands and legs together, raped him, cut his body up in the flat, took the head in a plastic bag onto a ferry to N.Ireland and chucked it over the side into the sea and dumped the other body parts in Loch Lomond.

The flat was rife woth evidence, does a runner to Holland and has to be extradited.

But Donald Findlay still takes the case on to try get the guy off. Wonder if it had anything to do with the accused bedroom being decked out in Union jacks & Rangers gear?!

This was after he'd previously got the guy off on an identical case when the case collapsed and DF got him off on technicalities in the legal system!!

Unbelievable that anyone would take on that case to defend someone that done that to another human being.

It's the job of the defence to challenge the prosecution, not to "get him off".

It's the job of the prosecution to prove the guilt of the accused. If they can't construct a case properly, or don't get the "technicalities" right, that's their fault.

If defence lawyers didn't take cases on, on the grounds of what the accused was alleged to have done, there would be no defence anywhere, in any case.

macca70
20-03-2015, 04:55 PM
It's the job of the defence to challenge the prosecution, not to "get him off".

It's the job of the prosecution to prove the guilt of the accused. If they can't construct a case properly, or don't get the "technicalities" right, that's their fault.

If defence lawyers didn't take cases on, on the grounds of what the accused was alleged to have done, there would be no defence anywhere, in any case.

Yeah, I understand that but if you had any morals and seen what this guy had done, it cant be right to fight someone's case which could potentially mean they end up walking free and some other poor lad gets raped, murdered and chopped up!!

CropleyWasGod
20-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I understand that but if you had any morals and seen what this guy had done, it cant be right to fight someone's case which could potentially mean they end up walking free and some other poor lad gets raped, murdered and chopped up!!

How could Findlay "know" what he had done? He can't be the judge of the guy's guilt until the case has been tried in Court.

In my view, the better the defence lawyer, the harder the prosecution has to work, and the greater the chance there is of a sound guilty verdict.

NAE NOOKIE
20-03-2015, 05:21 PM

In my position of agony aunt for Hibs Date Net ... the on line magazine for lonely Hibbies to meet like minded burdz I can only reproduce a letter I received from one of our readers.

Dear H D Net

Some time ago I terminated a relationship with a man, lets call him Lou Griffin. We had been in a relationship for months and when we were together he used to kiss me all the time, he said I was very special and that he would always love me. We broke up a while back when he told me he had found another in England .... at least he was honest with me and assured me I would always be number one, but things had changed and he had to move on. Though I was upset I decided to move on too and did eventually learn to live without him.

You can imagine how hurt and heartbroken I was then to hear that a year later he had returned to Scotland and not only that but with a new crush who looks a wee bit like me ... I have been told by hundreds of people that he has been kissing this new love just the way he used to kiss me. I feel so hurt and betrayed H D Net and am beginning to think all the kisses and promises that I would always be the love of his life were just lies to get my family to like him.

I have a big family, but I know that his new love has a bigger one and they have more money than mine did .... also this new love is really, really ugly so I feel even more betrayed knowing the affection he used to show me is now being lavished on his latest muse because of the wealth and size of the family and his desperate need to ingratiate himself with them.

What should I do? I feel like confronting him about things and my family are really angry too.

Yours

T.H.E Hibsbadge

So you see SonofDavidFrancey ... you are not alone.

FranckSuzy
20-03-2015, 06:55 PM
:faf:

greenginger
24-03-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtics-john-guidetti-hit-sfa-5387466

Now I wonder what the chances are of Guidetti getting his collar felt by the plods.

Is Hun more/less offensive than Refugee ?

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Yet the whole away end, gave us the full repertoire on Sunday, and nothing will be said or done about that.....All rather sad really......

Weststandwanab
24-03-2015, 07:00 PM
He should get time for that.. 3 Strikes.. :wink:
Love that pun !