PDA

View Full Version : Roughest/Worst pubs in Edinburgh

Pages : [1] 2

Zazu62
17-03-2015, 07:57 PM
I live next to the ferryboat which is quite rough like, what are the worst pubs in Edinburgh in your opinion?

Speedy
17-03-2015, 08:00 PM
I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.

Zazu62
17-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!

Pretty Boy
17-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Tbh I've been in a lot of pubs with reputations as being 'hard' or 'rough' but generally I've never had any bother. Go in, keep myself to myself, have a drink and leave. Always find nobody bothers me or the group I'm with.

Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.

weonlywon6-2
17-03-2015, 08:17 PM
CC Blooms ☺

Peevemor
17-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Never heard of it but sounds a bit rough!

It's proper name is the Artful Dodger after the Charles Dickens character. I think it was Charlie MacKinlay who had a few pubs with Dickens themed names.

Mr White
17-03-2015, 08:36 PM
Funniest thing I've seen in a 'dodgy' pub was identical twin brothers battering each other in The Good Companions in Oxgangs.

:tee hee: footage of that would surely have got a few views on youtube :greengrin

The_Exile
17-03-2015, 08:57 PM
The White House in Craigmillar was..........interesting, to say the least!

BroxburnHibee
17-03-2015, 09:36 PM
I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.

Scouse Hibee
17-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Went in the Silver Wing recently was pleasantly surprised as was expecting a ****** hole.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-03-2015, 11:22 PM
The White House in Craigmillar was..........interesting, to say the least!

Omans just round the corner was my grandad's local when he was still here, some interesting sights to be seen in there.

Anderson's on Lothian Road and The Grapes on South Clerk Street have always had potential but, never actually witnessed bother in either. Anderson's is Moriarty's now.

The Boundary Bar wasnae the best before it changed to City Limits.

Mixu62
17-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Had the mis-fortune to have to walk into the Gunner in Muirhouse once. As Obi Wan would say, a wretched hive of sc*m and villainy.

Just Alf
18-03-2015, 07:47 AM
I got taken to the 'Clock Inn' on Dalry Road. At least I think it was called that. Most bizarre pub experience ever.

You beat me to it, I was going to post the same, word for word! :top marks

Hiber-nation
18-03-2015, 12:38 PM

That place was just evil.

Gus
18-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Tam O'Shanter on great junction street is a hole. Not hard, just a s**t hole as is Anderson's round the corner from there.

Roughest I have been in is probably the Ferryboat.

Future17
18-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Been in a few that didn't have much going for them:

Surfers in Portobello
The White Horse in Craigmillar
The Marmion in Gracemount
The Right Wing in Northfield

But the only time I can remember witnessing any actual violence was while working behind the bar at the 5s centres in Porty and Sighthill. Any time there was an 18th or 21st (or 40/50/60th for that matter) there would be at least one fight. I only did 2 shifts at Sighthill and saw a guy getting glassed by a girl. Sticks in the memory.

Just Alf
18-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Re the Clock.... I seem to remember it was the best pint of Guinness in Edinburgh ..... Maybe coz everything else was crap it was continually being poured I guess :D

Zazu62
18-03-2015, 07:59 PM
That place was just evil.

And why was it evil lol?

Hiber-nation
18-03-2015, 08:10 PM
And why was it evil lol?

Full of the worst type of jambos imaginable. Vile specimens. My next door neighbour got a job in an electrician's along the road, went in for a pint at lunchtime on his first day (out of curiosity) and got threatened with a knife.

This was back in the late 70s by the way.

The Rock up at the Pleasance was a really nasty boozer as well, never even got as far as the bar, bottled it!

MSK
18-03-2015, 08:40 PM
The White House in Craigmillar was..........interesting, to say the least!As was the Tavern ..my Wifes late Uncles local ..we were at his 60th there a good few years back ...was fine actually until I got mugged by an over zealous toilet door :greengrin

Hibbyradge
18-03-2015, 08:45 PM
The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.

Peevemor
18-03-2015, 08:53 PM
It's not the roughest pub I've been in, but even though I lived next door to it for years, I never liked the Royal Nip - at all!

Hiber-nation
18-03-2015, 09:09 PM
It's not the roughest pub I've been in, but even though I lived next door to it for years, I never liked the Royal Nip - at all!

Used to live across the road from it at 224 Easter Road back in the mid 80s. There was a couple who lived across from it on the Albert Street side who were always coming out there steamin, shouting and bawling at each other. One Monday night it was really loud so I had a look out the window until they went into their flat....2 minutes later a telly comes smashing through their window on to the street! Not just a wee portable either.

MSK
18-03-2015, 09:14 PM
The Granton Tap was a bit scary mary ...& that was only when delivering the beer !!

Scariest pub Ive had the dis-pleasure of visiting on numerous occasions was not in Edinburgh though ...that accolade goes to the one & only Valley bar in High Valleyfield Fife ...even the women had baws !! :paranoid:....:faint:

Killiehibbie
19-03-2015, 07:16 PM
The Granton Tap was a bit scary mary ...& that was only when delivering the beer !!

Scariest pub Ive had the dis-pleasure of visiting on numerous occasions was not in Edinburgh though ...that accolade goes to the one & only Valley bar in High Valleyfield Fife ...even the women had baws !! :paranoid:....:faint:One scary village.

matty_f
20-03-2015, 12:50 AM
Not in Edinburgh but I happened to be in Hemel Hempstead once, and there was a pub by the bus station, we had about of time to kill so nipped in for a pint and I've never seen anything like it, save for maybe the cantina in Mos Eisley in Star Wars.

The first person we saw (and this, I swear is no lie) had one eye and was sitting with what I presume was his Mrs, who had one arm. They had two dogs at their feet, both with the legs each.

I went for a slash and the urinal trough was screwed onto the wall at one end, and supported by a small bucket at the other.

The ashtrays were screwed onto the tables, and there was a guy trying to sell a carrier bag of presumably stolen meat who was getting told to **** off because the cigarettes he'd sold last time smelled like piss when they were lit.

We only had the one, very quick pint.

Hibee87
20-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Cant believe no one has thrown In the gauntlet in broomhouse!!

Most bars ive been in, regardless of the rep, are fine as long as you keep yourself to yourself. However I have to say the tally hoe in winchburgh is a particularly delightful place. Im sure I wouldn't have been set about on if A)I was from there, or been in before and b) was not pissed, wearing a hibs top and just beat the tims 3-2 at easter road

speedy_gonzales
20-03-2015, 08:13 AM
Not in Edinburgh but I happened to be in Hemel Hempstead once, and there was a pub by the bus station, we had about of time to kill so nipped in for a pint and I've never seen anything like it, save for maybe the cantina in Mos Eisley in Star Wars.

The first person we saw (and this, I swear is no lie) had one eye and was sitting with what I presume was his Mrs, who had one arm.

I had a very similar experience with a mate whilst down in Bridgend, Wales.
The pub was the 'Courage', and we needed it. A couple sitting in the corner, guy dressed in his finest tracksuit bottoms, white vest and topped off with a head band Rab C would be proud of.
I'm pretty sure he was eyeing us up when we walked in but it was difficult to tell with his pontoon eyes(1 sticking, 1 twisting).
The rest of the clientele looked like cheap copies of Goldie Lookin' Chain!
The bar had hand pumps & taps but all drinks were served from cans?
We left the 'friendly' bar area and retired to the beer garden to the rear. I say beer garden, more of a concrete yard, surrounded by a 10' wall and peppered with a fine selection of dog faeces.
We had already agreed we were only having the one when the whole pub came outside for a 'fag'. The only way out was back through that pub so we put our drinks down, still full, and make excuses about buying a bar snack,,,,,we then ran out that pub like big girls blouses and never returned!
We'll never know how it would have turned out if we had stayed but I like to think we saved ourselves from taking a hiding that night, christ knows I've been in better looking pubs in Newport and suffered worse!

sleeping giant
20-03-2015, 12:05 PM
The Dodger , The old Sighthill Hotel , the Silver Wing , Club 85 in wester Hailes , the westsider and the old Parotts cage.
I was just a wee bit too young for the parrots cage but I've been in all the rest.

Pete
20-03-2015, 03:29 PM
The Dodger , The old Sighthill Hotel , the Silver Wing , Club 85 in wester Hailes , the westsider and the old Parotts cage.
I was just a wee bit too young for the parrots cage but I've been in all the rest.

I used to go to a place called huxters when I knew a few guys from down that way. There's no way in hell I would have went in if I didn't.

It was as if that was where all the local nutters went with their wives if they fancied a bit of smart casual.

Baldy Foghorn
20-03-2015, 04:17 PM
I've never been in but the dodger in sighthill always sounds rough when I've heard people talk about it.

Drank in the Dodger for about ten years, and rarely saw any bother. Mind you I could hardly see anything when I drank:rolleyes:

sleeping giant
20-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I used to go to a place called huxters when I knew a few guys from down that way. There's no way in hell I would have went in if I didn't.

It was as if that was where all the local nutters went with their wives if they fancied a bit of smart casual.

Aye Hucksters on a Friday night was entertaining.
Quite liked the place to be honest but I was from there so I was safe :greengrin
Dodger and the Patio too.

Re The Gauntlet , I knew a guy that was killed outside there in the 80's.

Pretty Boy
20-03-2015, 05:53 PM
Actually after stating earlier I had never found a pub as bad as I expected I forgot one exception:

Thr 524 Cocktail Lounge in Aberdeen. When I lived there I frequented a few of the rougher pubs in the city, was chased out The Scotia (another *****hole) with a few pint glasses shattering behind me after letting slip to some former ASC guys I was a Hibs fan. However the 524 was something else just for it's utter crapness. Crap beer, place reeked of dog pish (there was always dogs in and they must have been pi55ing on the 'carpet'), toilets that would have terrified lesser men and always, always bother. A Friday or Saturday wasn't complete without a fight and whilst calling the police wasn't the done thing in the pub if it spilled out onto the street they regularly appeared.

I was only in a couple of times but we regularly saw the goings on as we regularly drank in either The Butchers Arms or The Kings Arms just up the road which were decent local boozers. The place was just utterly depressing and full of the absolute dregs.

Obviously not in Edinburgh but a total dump.

Mr White
20-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Actually after stating earlier I had never found a pub as bad as I expected I forgot one exception:

Thr 524 Cocktail Lounge in Aberdeen. When I lived there I frequented a few of the rougher pubs in the city, was chased out The Scotia (another *****hole) with a few pint glasses shattering behind me after letting slip to some former ASC guys I wa
s a Hibs fan. However the 524 was something else just for it's utter crapness. Crap beer, place reeked of dog pish (there was always dogs in and they must have been pi55ing on the 'carpet'), toilets that would have terrified lesser men and always, always bother. A Friday or Saturday wasn't complete without a fight and whilst calling the police wasn't the done thing in the pub if it spilled out onto the street they regularly appeared.

I was only in a couple of times but we regularly saw the goings on as we regularly drank in either The Butchers Arms or The Kings Arms just up the road which were decent local boozers. The place was just utterly depressing and full of the absolute dregs.

Obviously not in Edinburgh but a total dump.
Was the 524 on george st? If so I used to pass it often when I lived at kitty brewster. Always wondered how varied their cocktail list was. My mate reckoned anything more complex than a vodka and coke and the bar staff would struggle :greengrin

marinello59
20-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Was the 524 on george st? If so I used to pass it often when I lived at kitty brewster. Always wondered how varied their cocktail list was. My mate reckoned anything more complex than a vodka and coke and the bar staff would struggle :greengrin

Aye, it's on George Street and still going. Passing it was definitely the wisest option.

lord bunberry
20-03-2015, 06:07 PM
The Busy Bee was an absolute hovel but the worse place I've ever been by a long long way was a pub down in granton, I'm not 100% sure of its name but I think it was the Willie Muir. The Duke of Wellington down Leith was also horrible

Pretty Boy
20-03-2015, 06:20 PM
The Busy Bee was an absolute hovel but the worse place I've ever been by a long long way was a pub down in granton, I'm not 100% sure of its name but I think it was the Willie Muir. The Duke of Wellington down Leith was also horrible

I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

Could be nonsense though as a lot of nyths tend to grow around rough pubs.

Hiber-nation
20-03-2015, 06:43 PM
I'm sure I remember reading the Willie Muir had at least 2 murders happen on the premises in the 70s.

Jeez I forgot about the Willie Muir. In once when I was about 20, terrified!

lord bunberry
20-03-2015, 07:01 PM

It wouldn't surprise me, I've never felt more uncomfortable in a pub in my life. The guy behind the bar was a huge guy who seemed to keep an uneasy peace.

Dan Sarf
20-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Anyone ever visit a pub on Paisley Road West near Castle Greyskull? It was called "The Halfway House". A very scary place.

I worked there on Saturdays in the late '60s to help pay for my digs. Must have been out of my mind. The bar staff used to listen anxiously for the Rangers result on the radio (it was pre Sky Sports) and pray that they had won since that meant the fans would be in a good mood. If they'd lost, which wasn't very often in those days, bears with sore heads doesn't get close. They'd come swarming in not long after the final whistle and, if they thought they weren't getting served quickly enough, lean over the counter and grab at you, shouting abuse as if they were still at the game. (It was often four or five deep in the bar and the beer was so lively you had to pour three glasses to get one full pint.) As the evening wore on, some of them would be joined by their wives, start fighting among themselves or slide unconscious to the floor.

As well as serving pints, I was supposed to help break up the fights but, whenever anything happened, I luckily always seemed to be doing a bit of sweeping up in the cellar. (Not completely daft.) At closing time, I had to help drag the unconscious ones by their jacket collars and feet and drop them on the pavement outside. If they'd been particularly horrible earlier, the barmen would release their heads from quite a height. I can still hear the crack their skulls made when they hit the kerb.

Once the place was shut and the glasses cleaned, we could have a free cigarette or a half of heavy (I was sick of the smell of beer by then so usually chose a smoke). Then I'd run to my ancient parked car with the keys in my hand to get in quick and lock the door - just in case some blue-nosed thugs were waiting for me for taking too long to serve them or inadvertently looking at them earlier.

A few years ago, I went back to see if the pub was still there but there was no sign of it. The regulars probably knocked it down.

TRC
20-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Not the roughest or worst, but the Phoenix on broughton street was a pub i could never quite understand at one end of the bar you have an old mans boozer and the entry seems like that. Then the level up is like a newly decorated pub with trendy wall paper this portion was always filled with english Edinburgh uni types. All in all a very confusing place. Must say never had any bother in there and always quite liked stopping for a pint on my way home.

Jack
21-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Anyone ever visit a pub on Paisley Road West near Castle Greyskull? It was called "The Halfway House". A very scary place.

I worked there on Saturdays in the late '60s to help pay for my digs. Must have been out of my mind. The bar staff used to listen anxiously for the Rangers result on the radio (it was pre Sky Sports) and pray that they had won since that meant the fans would be in a good mood. If they'd lost, which wasn't very often in those days, bears with sore heads doesn't get close. They'd come swarming in not long after the final whistle and, if they thought they weren't getting served quickly enough, lean over the counter and grab at you, shouting abuse as if they were still at the game. (It was often four or five deep in the bar and the beer was so lively you had to pour three glasses to get one full pint.) As the evening wore on, some of them would be joined by their wives, start fighting among themselves or slide unconscious to the floor.

As well as serving pints, I was supposed to help break up the fights but, whenever anything happened, I luckily always seemed to be doing a bit of sweeping up in the cellar. (Not completely daft.) At closing time, I had to help drag the unconscious ones by their jacket collars and feet and drop them on the pavement outside. If they'd been particularly horrible earlier, the barmen would release their heads from quite a height. I can still hear the crack their skulls made when they hit the kerb.

Once the place was shut and the glasses cleaned, we could have a free cigarette or a half of heavy (I was sick of the smell of beer by then so usually chose a smoke). Then I'd run to my ancient parked car with the keys in my hand to get in quick and lock the door - just in case some blue-nosed thugs were waiting for me for taking too long to serve them or inadvertently looking at them earlier.

A few years ago, I went back to see if the pub was still there but there was no sign of it. The regulars probably knocked it down.

Sounds like a pub I was in around there in the early 80s. No windows and just at the front of the bar was thick wire grill with gaps along the bar big enough to pass a couple of pint glasses through! I was there of a lunchtime but the punters even then were a throw back in the evolution of whatever creatures they were.

Back to Edinburgh. I take it I'm the only person to have been in the Niddrie Marischal Arms? I didn't witness this particular story from the 70s but it rings true with other events there.

A group of workies were enjoying their Friday tea time beers, there was about a dozen of them and ones just got the round in when the doors burst open and this wee scary wumin shouts "Where are yi, yi ba$£@&%?" She rages over to the chap who's just bought the round f'in and c'in about her housekeeping. When he points to the round he's just bought and shrugs she explodes, picks up one of the pints, smashes it on the side of the bar and sticks it in his neck. The blood is pishing from the wound and he turns to the barman and says "You'd better make that another pint o special" before collapsing in a heap!

There's many other great stories about that place, that's my favourite!

trev the hat
21-03-2015, 09:53 PM
The Blacker in Coolock, Dublin not a window in the place with travellers frequently helping themselves to cases of beer behind the bar, lucky I was working with a local lad.
That was back in 1998 mind you, some place it was !!

BroxburnHibee
21-03-2015, 10:14 PM
There's a boozer in Broxburn called The Green Tree which has bars on the windows :greengrin

Might be a myth but I got told it doesn't even have a ladies :tee hee: I've never been brave enough to try it out.

Peevemor
21-03-2015, 10:38 PM
There's a boozer in Broxburn called The Green Tree which has bars on the windows :greengrin

Might be a myth but I got told it doesn't even have a ladies :tee hee: I've never been brave enough to try it out.

I've been in there (a while ago now though - the original Mrs Peeve was from Dechmont) and it was fine - an "old man's" pub but perfectly OK and a pretty friendly crowd from what I remember.

MSK
22-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Sounds like a pub I was in around there in the early 80s. No windows and just at the front of the bar was thick wire grill with gaps along the bar big enough to pass a couple of pint glasses through! I was there of a lunchtime but the punters even then were a throw back in the evolution of whatever creatures they were.

Back to Edinburgh. I take it I'm the only person to have been in the Niddrie Marischal Arms? I didn't witness this particular story from the 70s but it rings true with other events there.

A group of workies were enjoying their Friday tea time beers, there was about a dozen of them and ones just got the round in when the doors burst open and this wee scary wumin shouts "Where are yi, yi ba$£@&%?" She rages over to the chap who's just bought the round f'in and c'in about her housekeeping. When he points to the round he's just bought and shrugs she explodes, picks up one of the pints, smashes it on the side of the bar and sticks it in his neck. The blood is pishing from the wound and he turns to the barman and says "You'd better make that another pint o special" before collapsing in a heap!

There's many other great stories about that place, that's my favourite!Was never in the Marischal Arms but was occasionally in there when it was the Cleekim Inn as I helped out with the football team, great bunch of lads ...the Jewel Miners had a bit of a "reputation" in bygone days too but in my 26 years being a member I never witnessed anything major ...more likely because I was rubberised most of the time ... :drunk:

Killiehibbie
22-03-2015, 08:38 AM
Anybody ever wander into Pickies by mistake?

MSK
22-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Nobody ever wander into Pickies by mistake?Aye ...so dark & dingy I needed those night time goggles tae make my way to the bar !!!

Killiehibbie
22-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Aye ...so dark & dingy I needed those night time goggles tae make my way to the bar !!!I don't imagine it would be a pleasant experience without a local to protect you.

MSK
22-03-2015, 08:57 AM
I don't imagine it would be a pleasant experience without a local to protect you.Never had any bother to be honest ..it was just full of mumbling drunks who were so inebriated & incoherent they pished where they sat ..if you had to get out in a hurry you were ****ed though...the carpet was about 6 inches thick with stale booze & fag ends ...so deep in **** you would have needed a life belt & a rope tae reach the front door...:paranoid:

Future17
22-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Not the roughest or worst, but the Phoenix on broughton street was a pub i could never quite understand at one end of the bar you have an old mans boozer and the entry seems like that. Then the level up is like a newly decorated pub with trendy wall paper this portion was always filled with english Edinburgh uni types. All in all a very confusing place. Must say never had any bother in there and always quite liked stopping for a pint on my way home.

I used to work in The Phoenix a few years ago and loved the pub. There was a group of about 12 regulars who sat in the corner at the door end of the bar and there was always at least 3 or 4 of them in each day/night. It was also the only pub I've known to still use a bookies runner despite the advent of online gambling.

What you say about the set-up was right though - it tended to be regulars in the lower section and others in the upper section. It actually got weirder than you've described when there was an event in the cellar bar which had a separate entrance which people didn't always notice. There was a book club every week and, during the festival the cellar bar was used as a venue, so people used to wander in looking for a comedy show or jazz gig.

The only negative about that pub was that the bar manager was a complete ****. He was probably the grumpiest, most depressing and sour-faced person I have ever known (and that's some accolade). I'm convinced that the owners kept him around because he had no life and, with no personality, very little chance of ever living one. He also had zero inclination towards good customer service and the breaking point for me was when he physically threatened a customer for no real reason one night. Don't know if he's still there as I haven't been back even as a customer.

Pretty Boy
22-03-2015, 09:47 AM
I used to work in The Phoenix a few years ago and loved the pub. There was a group of about 12 regulars who sat in the corner at the door end of the bar and there was always at least 3 or 4 of them in each day/night. It was also the only pub I've known to still use a bookies runner despite the advent of online gambling.

What you say about the set-up was right though - it tended to be regulars in the lower section and others in the upper section. It actually got weirder than you've described when there was an event in the cellar bar which had a separate entrance which people didn't always notice. There was a book club every week and, during the festival the cellar bar was used as a venue, so people used to wander in looking for a comedy show or jazz gig.

The only negative about that pub was that the bar manager was a complete ****. He was probably the grumpiest, most depressing and sour-faced person I have ever known (and that's some accolade). I'm convinced that the owners kept him around because he had no life and, with no personality, very little chance of ever living one. He also had zero inclination towards good customer service and the breaking point for me was when he physically threatened a customer for no real reason one night. Don't know if he's still there as I haven't been back even as a customer.

The Phoenix is a pub I could never take to.

I live on Broughton Road so have a few decent pubs in walking distance. Smithies on Eyre Place (even if the owner is a Hertz fan), Leith Walk and all it has, The Bonnington and then the pubs on Broughton Street. The Phoenix would always be below Mathers, Barony and Cask & Barrel when it came to choosing one. There's nothing I can put my finger on I just don't really like it.

TRC
22-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Is that the tall bald guy?

Beefster
22-03-2015, 02:38 PM

My granddad used to manage the Willie Muir around the late sixties/early seventies. My Dad, who worked there at the time, has some mental stories!

Future17
22-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Is that the tall bald guy?

Aye, that's him.

TRC
22-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Aye not the most social guy in the world. Then again ive worked in tons of pubs and most would probably say the same thing about me

patch1875
22-03-2015, 03:35 PM
We used to go to the Phoenix a lot years ago good starting boozer always remember a very tidy goth barmaid.

marinello59
22-03-2015, 07:30 PM
There used to be a pub in Inverness called The Thornbush. You couldn't walk straight in, you had to knock on the locked front door and then a wee hatch opened through which you were quizzed by the bar staff before you were allowed in. Some real characters in there selling all sorts of stuff. It was next to the ship repair yard so as ships crew we were accepted as locals. Our telly was nicked one night when we were all ashore. We mentioned it in the pub and a couple of nights later it was returned. :-)

Killiehibbie
22-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Never had any bother to be honest ..it was just full of mumbling drunks who were so inebriated & incoherent they pished where they sat ..if you had to get out in a hurry you were ****ed though...the carpet was about 6 inches thick with stale booze & fag ends ...so deep in **** you would have needed a life belt & a rope tae reach the front door...:paranoid:You were lucky, i saw guys getting hospitalised for nothing more than being strangers. I remember a young Hibs boy telling me of one night they were looking for a fight in any pub all the way from Musselburgh via Porty and got no takers until they reached Pickies and 20 odd of them had to beat a hasty retreat.

MSK
22-03-2015, 08:09 PM
You were lucky, i saw guys getting hospitalised for nothing more than being strangers. I remember a young Hibs boy telling me of one night they were looking for a fight in any pub all the way from Musselburgh via Porty and got no takers until they reached Pickies and 20 odd of them had to beat a hasty retreat.I suppose that could happen in any random pub though..Ive been in pubs where the atmosphere has been absolutely toxic but never saw a thing ...whereas many years back in the old Brunstane pub ..a good local, everyone was having a good auld knees up when all hell broke loose & punters/furniture/windows etc were damaged..the pub got a bit of a bad reputation after that but never really warranted it ...:agree:

trev the hat
22-03-2015, 08:09 PM
The Phoenix is a pub I could never take to.

I live on Broughton Road so have a few decent pubs in walking distance. Smithies on Eyre Place (even if the owner is a Hertz fan), Leith Walk and all it has, The Bonnington and then the pubs on Broughton Street. The Phoenix would always be below Mathers, Barony and Cask & Barrel when it came to choosing one. There's nothing I can put my finger on I just don't really like it.

The Phoenix had its last pint from me after going in a cpl year back after a derby at PBS new year game. Barman said he was charging an extra £1 on a pint cause it was new year. Not been back since.

trev the hat
22-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Never had any bother to be honest ..it was just full of mumbling drunks who were so inebriated & incoherent they pished where they sat ..if you had to get out in a hurry you were ****ed though...the carpet was about 6 inches thick with stale booze & fag ends ...so deep in **** you would have needed a life belt & a rope tae reach the front door...:paranoid:

Cracking juke box & played at full volume, loved surprising an old mate of mine with an unannounced appearance

MSK
22-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Cracking juke box & played at full volume, loved surprising an old mate of mine with an unannounced appearanceWhat Brunstane was that Trev ..the old one ...or the older one ...?...:greengrin

Hiber-nation
22-03-2015, 09:18 PM
You were lucky, i saw guys getting hospitalised for nothing more than being strangers. I remember a young Hibs boy telling me of one night they were looking for a fight in any pub all the way from Musselburgh via Porty and got no takers until they reached Pickies and 20 odd of them had to beat a hasty retreat.

Is Pickies (or whatever it's called now) still there? Never noticed it when I drove past the other week but I haven't been along there for ages.

MSK
22-03-2015, 09:32 PM
Is Pickies (or whatever it's called now) still there? Never noticed it when I drove past the other week but I haven't been along there for ages.No, last known name was Sinatras, didn't last very long though and is now boarded up and has been for a while, Porters next door is still on the go. Jocks lodge has also been boarded up and the Golden gates is now an architects office

heretoday
22-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Had the mis-fortune to have to walk into the Gunner in Muirhouse once. As Obi Wan would say, a wretched hive of sc*m and villainy.

That's a bad one all right.

Mixu62
22-03-2015, 11:14 PM
That's a bad one all right.

It was a dreadful but thankfully brief experience. Was a smoker back then and had run out of fags on Christmas day. It was the only pub open within walking distance so went in with the sole purpose of using the ciggie machine. Had to ask the barman where it was and this.....this.....CREATURE at the bar growls at me "when ye get back, ah'm huvvin' yin ay yer fags". I got my fags and slipped out the other door. Stopped smoking soon afterwards! :greengrin

Pete
23-03-2015, 01:35 AM
The Good Companions in Oxgangs.

After staying in the area for a number of years, my mate and I decided to go in for a pint to see what all the fuss was about. I went to primary school that way and knew a few names of boys that drank there and it was 4pm on a Friday. Should be OK.

Apart from a couple of old men, all there was in the place was a group of three or four Gurkhas and a group of about ten young, local lads and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

One Gurkha decided to play the puggy and two of the younger lads decided to leave their table and "watch", which consisted of one boy trying to tower over him and make smart comments while the other one stood behind his mate in case the Gurkha took the bait. The Gurkhas were cool as cucumbers and had arms the size of these boys thighs but you could just tell that the young lads were spoiling for a fight.

After about five minutes we had seen enough and decide it was time for a harp lager out the open fire escape we were sitting next to leaving half our pints. Never found out what happened and never bothered going back to try. :duck:

There are so many nice pubs in Edinburgh and that area in particular, so why bother?

Peevemor
23-03-2015, 05:33 AM
After staying in the area for a number of years, my mate and I decided to go in for a pint to see what all the fuss was about. I went to primary school that way and knew a few names of boys that drank there and it was 4pm on a Friday. Should be OK.

Apart from a couple of old men, all there was in the place was a group of three or four Gurkhas and a group of about ten young, local lads and you could cut the atmosphere with a knife.

One Gurkha decided to play the puggy and two of the younger lads decided to leave their table and "watch", which consisted of one boy trying to tower over him and make smart comments while the other one stood behind his mate in case the Gurkha took the bait. The Gurkhas were cool as cucumbers and had arms the size of these boys thighs but you could just tell that the young lads were spoiling for a fight.

After about five minutes we had seen enough and decide it was time for a harp lager out the open fire escape we were sitting next to leaving half our pints. Never found out what happened and never bothered going back to try. :duck:

There are so many nice pubs in Edinburgh and that area in particular, so why bother?

I hope for their sakes that the local lads never got the pagger they were looking for.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 06:56 AM
No, last known name was Sinatras, didn't last very long though and is now boarded up and has been for a while, Porters next door is still on the go. Jocks lodge has also been boarded up and the Golden gates is now an architects office

Ok cheerz. Knew about the other 2. Porters was ok back in the day, dunno what it's like now though.

DH1875
23-03-2015, 10:21 AM
I hope for their sakes that the local lads never got the pagger they were looking for.

Yeah, who picks a fight with a group of Gurkhas :confused:.

Future17
23-03-2015, 11:27 AM
The Phoenix had its last pint from me after going in a cpl year back after a derby at PBS new year game. Barman said he was charging an extra £1 on a pint cause it was new year. Not been back since.

Yeah, they did that when I worked there and it wasn't just on pints. How much extra did I get for working it? Sweet FA.

This triggered my mind on remembering the International Bar near the Meadows. Used to go there with Celtc supporting mates to watch the Old Firm games before Rangers died. It must have been what it was like watching the game in the old Parkhead "jungle" but with less breathing space and more spilled alcohol. One of the barmaids wasn't far out of the primordial soup and alternated between screeching "glayses upti' tha' bar" and "come oan Neil Lennon" at the top of her voice.

When the midday kick-offs were introduced on Sundays, they weren't allowed to sell alcohol before that time. Instead they ran a raffle where you bought a ticket for £2 at the door and had to check at the bar if you were a winner and could claim your prize of a bottled beer of your choosing. In a, some would say unbelievable, statistical improbability, every single ticket was a winner! :greengrin

Also, the mention of the Gurkhas just reminded me of being in a pub in Ayrshire somewhere (might have been Cumnock) a good few years ago. There was a group of squaddies in celebrating one of their birthdays. Almost all of them were relatively sober, except for the birthday boy who was been fed a continuous line of shots. After each shot, he began to ram the shot glass against his forehead and shout something which escapes me at this point. With no doubt the best of intentions, the bar staff stopped him using the shot glass, but replaced it with the wee disposable plastic ones. Unfortunately he continued with the routine and had sunk and smashed at least 5 or 6 into a bloodied mess on his coupon before his mates managed to restrain him.

lyonhibs
23-03-2015, 12:18 PM
Any pub was bars/a grill over the windows, when it's open, always has me moving along sharp-ish.

Went to a couple on Canal Street in Manchester (yes, it's the gay district) in January that were experiences to say the least. Not threatening particularly, but filled with an "eclectic mix" of people.

bathhibby
23-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Rob Roy in the Inch had a bit of a reputation - long gone now but as a local I thought it was OK

Pete
23-03-2015, 02:38 PM
Yeah, who picks a fight with a group of Gurkhas :confused:.

Beats me. Maybe they weren't local at all because if you hang about that area you know what these guys are...and you don't bother them.

Normal squaddies in general are cool anyway and having them as regulars isn't normally a problem. They sometimes overdo it but they have to answer to their superiors so they know it will be reported back if they misbehave in their new "local".

lord bunberry
23-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Beats me. Maybe they weren't local at all because if you hang about that area you know what these guys are...and you don't bother them.

Normal squaddies in general are cool anyway and having them as regulars isn't normally a problem. They sometimes overdo it but they have to answer to their superiors so they know it will be reported back if they misbehave in their new "local".
My mates dad stays up that way and the squaddies were barred from going in to the goodies. I can't remember if the pub barred them or if it was the army that told them to stop going. This was a number of years ago but there used to be lots of fights between the locals and the squaddies.

heretoday
23-03-2015, 04:08 PM
My mates dad stays up that way and the squaddies were barred from going in to the goodies. I can't remember if the pub barred them or if it was the army that told them to stop going. This was a number of years ago but there used to be lots of fights between the locals and the squaddies.

That always used to happen in the 70s in Lothian Road on weekend nights. I always felt a bit sorry for the squaddies as they piled off the Colinton buses with new flared jackets and trousers, wide collar shirts and platform shoes but saddled with army haircuts. They started the evening at something of a disadvantage.

Changed days now of course. They're probably the ones attracting the ladies. I wouldn't know.

Pete
23-03-2015, 05:06 PM

It was about eight years ago I was there but it wouldn't surprise me.

I drank in softer pubs and the squaddies seemed to integrate well...With the odd exception of course.

Pretty Boy
23-03-2015, 05:48 PM
The Goodies is a funny pub.

I was brought up in Oxgangs and probably had my 1st pint in there at about 16. I honestly never found it that bad. The lounge was always full of pensioners and whilst the bar had a few bams most folk were just absolutely legless. The girls were worse if anything. Saw a bit bother now and then but nothing that I haven't see i supposedly classy city centre places.

It's not somewhere I venture regularly now as I live at the other end of town but if I'm up seeing my Dad we very occasionally go in and it never seems to have changed. I'd probably choose to go in there over the soulless Hunters Tryst any day of the week.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 06:28 PM
That always used to happen in the 70s in Lothian Road on weekend nights. I always felt a bit sorry for the squaddies as they piled off the Colinton buses with new flared jackets and trousers, wide collar shirts and platform shoes but saddled with army haircuts. They started the evening at something of a disadvantage.

Changed days now of course. They're probably the ones attracting the ladies. I wouldn't know.

What was the name of the boozer on Lothian Road prior to it being called Lord Toms? They used to drink there. Always bother with these boys about!

MSK
23-03-2015, 07:08 PM
What was the name of the boozer on Lothian Road prior to it being called Lord Toms? They used to drink there. Always bother with these boys about!Bull & Bush ? ..or that may be a bit further down ...Hobgoblins, the Festival Tavern and Shade's.

Scouse Hibee
23-03-2015, 07:37 PM
When I moved here in 92 was told to avoid Lothian Road but regularly drank in Bull & Bush and The Burnt Post and saw no trouble at all.

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Bull & Bush ? ..or that may be a bit further down ...Hobgoblins, the Festival Tavern and Shade's.

Festival Tavern was the one, cheers HH. Loved the Bull & Bush, hoachin every weekend :wink:

MSK
23-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Festival Tavern was the one, cheers HH. Loved the Bull & Bush, hoachin every weekend :wink:Not a place I frequented but was in a couple o times wi Mrs Happy during our winching days ...so I wouldn't have noticed the other noot n nannie ...:whistle: ...:greengrin

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 07:47 PM
When I moved here in 92 was told to avoid Lothian Road but regularly drank in Bull & Bush and The Burnt Post and saw no trouble at all.

That's because you chose the right pubs! Andersons was the one to avoid. Lothian Road was fine in these days.

MSK
23-03-2015, 07:54 PM
That's because you chose the right pubs! Andersons was the one to avoid. Lothian Road was fine in these days.Think that was formerly Big Johns Hideaway in bygone days ..ran by a guy named John Ruthven who took no **** ...ironically, big John died after suffering a heart attack in his then pub (Ruthvens) the former Flying Dutchman in Porty after trying to stop a couple of drunk lassies fighting over a game of pool ..:no way:

Hiber-nation
23-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Think that was formerly Big Johns Hideaway in bygone days ..ran by a guy named John Ruthven who took no **** ...ironically, big John died after suffering a heart attack in his then pub (Ruthvens) the former Flying Dutchman in Porty after trying to stop a couple of drunk lassies fighting over a game of pool ..:no way:

So it was..horrible boozer! Never knew he died like that.
Unreal!

Speedy
23-03-2015, 09:20 PM
The Oak in Corstorphine is rough as. Maybe not violent, I'm not sure, but it's mental.

Worth taking a jumper to the Oak. Normally Baltic in there.

Mixu62
23-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Is the Penny Black still going? Not really rough, or scary, but was a bit unusual to say the least. Had an acquaintance years ago who used to enjoy and early start on his weekend sessions, so would go up there mid-morning and the place would be seriously packed with the sort of drinkers who couldn't wait for the regular pubs to open. They'd be steaming by 9.00 am. Was told it had odd opening hours to cater for the shift workers at the post office or something.

Pretty Boy
24-03-2015, 06:36 AM
Is the Penny Black still going? Not really rough, or scary, but was a bit unusual to say the least. Had an acquaintance years ago who used to enjoy and early start on his weekend sessions, so would go up there mid-morning and the place would be seriously packed with the sort of drinkers who couldn't wait for the regular pubs to open. They'd be steaming by 9.00 am. Was told it had odd opening hours to cater for the shift workers at the post office or something.

Long gone now.

The Brunswick on Leith Walk is another early opener. Used to be for the guys in the sorting office round the corner but it's an interesting clientele in the morning now.

I popped in on the odd occasion when I covered night shift at my old work and it was a strange mix of shift workers and people who sadly 'needed' to be there.

I believe the Scotsmans Lounge on Cockburn Street also has an early license.

Future17
24-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Long gone now.

The Brunswick on Leith Walk is another early opener. Used to be for the guys in the sorting office round the corner but it's an interesting clientele in the morning now.

I popped in on the odd occasion when I covered night shift at my old work and it was a strange mix of shift workers and people who sadly 'needed' to be there.

I believe the Scotsmans Lounge on Cockburn Street also has an early license.

The school round the corner from "The Brunswick Real Ale House" is a polling place for elections and was also for the referendum.

I was in the school a few times during the morning of the referendum and there was folk in there as early as 9.30am who were having trouble standing still. I would be amazed if they remembered how they voted!

Hibrandenburg
25-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Fa'side in Wallyford. You could hear a pin drop when a stranger walks in the bar and watch the women calculating what to do with the new DNA that just entered the gene pool.

wpj
25-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Yeah, they did that when I worked there and it wasn't just on pints. How much extra did I get for working it? Sweet FA.

This triggered my mind on remembering the International Bar near the Meadows. Used to go there with Celtc supporting mates to watch the Old Firm games before Rangers died. It must have been what it was like watching the game in the old Parkhead "jungle" but with less breathing space and more spilled alcohol. One of the barmaids wasn't far out of the primordial soup and alternated between screeching "glayses upti' tha' bar" and "come oan Neil Lennon" at the top of her voice.

When the midday kick-offs were introduced on Sundays, they weren't allowed to sell alcohol before that time. Instead they ran a raffle where you bought a ticket for £2 at the door and had to check at the bar if you were a winner and could claim your prize of a bottled beer of your choosing. In a, some would say unbelievable, statistical improbability, every single ticket was a winner! :greengrin

Also, the mention of the Gurkhas just reminded me of being in a pub in Ayrshire somewhere (might have been Cumnock) a good few years ago. There was a group of squaddies in celebrating one of their birthdays. Almost all of them were relatively sober, except for the birthday boy who was been fed a continuous line of shots. After each shot, he began to ram the shot glass against his forehead and shout something which escapes me at this point. With no doubt the best of intentions, the bar staff stopped him using the shot glass, but replaced it with the wee disposable plastic ones. Unfortunately he continued with the routine and had sunk and smashed at least 5 or 6 into a bloodied mess on his coupon before his mates managed to restrain him.

Used to drink in the IB in the 80's,some real characters there

Wilson
25-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Fa'side in Wallyford. You could hear a pin drop when a stranger walks in the bar and watch the women calculating what to do with the new DNA that just entered the gene pool.

Swallow it?

heretoday
25-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Worth taking a jumper to the Oak. Normally Baltic in there.

The Oak is ok during the day when it's mostly old local chaps joshing with the big blonde barmaid It's the weekend evenings that it can get heavy and the Centurion can be the same. Big, unfriendly places for those and such as those.

In actuality the pubs in Corstorphine are pretty awful. Even the Corstorphine Inn has gone down. The White Lady (Wetherspoons) has sucked the life away from its rivals. It can get a bit heavy at weekends too! Bouncers have been employed.

The_Todd
25-03-2015, 02:57 PM

Seconded. When I first moved to South Gyle and tried some of the local drinkeries looking for a new local I walked into the Oak - drawn in by a fairly respectable exterior with a great big oak tree - and instantly wished I was anywhere else. I had to buy a drink and have it just to save face. Never been in since.

Distinct Jambo vibe, also.

The_Todd
25-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Ah the Penny Black. I remember getting home from a nights clubbing at 3am once, deciding to play frisbee on the meadows for a couple of hours and then we decided to get a taxi to the Penny Black at 5am.

It was already busy.

Barman Stanton
25-03-2015, 04:03 PM

The 'Nix' has been a local for about 20 years. We sit upstairs, but certainly no one would ever look as us and think we were English uni types lol. Also don't think I have seen a fight in there.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Seconded. When I first moved to South Gyle and tried some of the local drinkeries looking for a new local I walked into the Oak - drawn in by a fairly respectable exterior with a great big oak tree - and instantly wished I was anywhere else. I had to buy a drink and have it just to save face. Never been in since.

What's the boozer in Corstorphine just off the main road? Begins with a W I think? Been in there a couple of times and it always seemed ok.

Edit: Winstons! Decent whisky selection iirc.

Mr White
25-03-2015, 04:49 PM
What's the boozer in Corstorphine just off the main road? Begins with a W I think? Been in there a couple of times and it always seemed ok.

Good pies too according to my uncle but the one time he took me there about 10 years ago they'd sold out :grr:

lord bunberry
25-03-2015, 05:32 PM
I went into Gladstone's on junction St years ago. The place was empty but as we were being served I noticed lots of blood on the floor. We got our drinks and went to sit down, but the barman told us to sit somewhere else as he hasn't cleaned up the broken glass yet. We sat at another table and a couple of minutes later two ambulance men appeared from through the back with a guy who had his face all bandaged up. We finished our drinks pretty quickly and left.

Zazu62
25-03-2015, 06:13 PM

Always thought the rainbow was a bit jamboish aswell think it's shut down now

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2015, 06:14 PM

I like Winstons but tend to drink in the Corry Inn especially when I want to watch footie. As for the Oak have been in there a couple of times, played pool and never felt threatened at all.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Always thought the rainbow was a bit jamboish aswell think it's shut down now

It's now the Spice Lounge and has still has a bar/pub area.

Bishop Hibee
25-03-2015, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. My first local was The Clifton on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco who I bumped into not that long ago. Basically the bar for the 'hotel', the hotel being a home for DHSS as was. Utter dive but a great gang hut where we could drink without any bother. I remember going in one time on a Sunday night having been jumped on the Saturday in town. Face being a bit of a mess, Maurice asked what happened and I told him. He offered to take me up the town there and then in his car to look for the skinheads who'd done it and he'd "sort them out" :shocked: I declined but you couldn't fault that customer service! I never went in The Pop Inn in Porty High Street but it had no windows and was x-directory so wives/girlfriends couldn't get hold of their partners pre-mobile phones.

The roughest pub I've ever been in was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Dirt cheap but I would never have got out alive if I hadn't been with a local. Closed due to drug dealing from the premises I heard.

Scouse Hibee
25-03-2015, 06:35 PM
The biggest problem I have with the White Lady (Wetherspoons) in Corstorphine is that at least once a week me and my mate (he's from Isle of Sheppey) get asked either one of the following:

You two up here working?
You two here on holiday?
What you are two doing in Edinburgh?

Every ****** week without fail we get asked these questions in the White Lady :brickwall :greengrin probably doesn't help that it's also a hotel so they think we must be staying there.

MSK
25-03-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. My first local was The Clifton on the Prom run by Maurice Demarco who I bumped into not that long ago. Basically the bar for the 'hotel', the hotel being a home for DHSS as was. Utter dive but a great gang hut where we could drink without any bother. I remember going in one time on a Sunday night having been jumped on the Saturday in town. Face being a bit of a mess, Maurice asked what happened and I told him. He offered to take me up the town there and then in his car to look for the skinheads who'd done it and he'd "sort them out" :shocked: I declined but you couldn't fault that customer service! I never went in The Pop Inn in Porty High Street but it had no windows and was x-directory so wives/girlfriends couldn't get hold of their partners pre-mobile phones.

The roughest pub I've ever been in was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Dirt cheap but I would never have got out alive if I hadn't been with a local. Closed due to drug dealing from the premises I heard.Porty was a place I never fancied for a pint ..although ducked & dived in a few during my skinhead days with the Sands hotel probably being a favourite..:whistle: ...

Its funny how the pub scene has changed throughout the years & in particular pubs in porty ..each had a unique identity, characteristics & features as well as patrons....some are now long gone & others just managing to eke out a living ..First & Last (McCarthurs ?) ..now flats ..Tides in ..no longer a pub ...old public bogs next door ..now Cropleys bar ..British Legion ..now flats..Coach & Horses ..kids birthday party venue....Foresters Arms..now a trendy pub grub joint....Plough/Tree Monkeys ..now closed ...Galleon ...still a local ...Pop Inn ...now a bookies ...Central bar/Beaten Docket/Glass blower ..still a local but has been open & shut so many times ...Dutchman/Ruthvens ..pub/eaterie last time I saw it ..Marine bar ..long gone ..Royal hotel ..now flats ..Portobello bar ..still a local...Figgate Whinns/Barrelio ..now closed ...Bluebell inn ..long gone ..now forms part of a chip shop & a barbers ..

Jeezo ...that's a few pubs ..throw in the Clifton ..the Sands hotel & yam haunt the Seabeach hotel ..

patch1875
25-03-2015, 07:56 PM
I went into Gladstone's on junction St years ago. The place was empty but as we were being served I noticed lots of blood on the floor. We got our drinks and went to sit down, but the barman told us to sit somewhere else as he hasn't cleaned up the broken glass yet. We sat at another table and a couple of minutes later two ambulance men appeared from through the back with a guy who had his face all bandaged up. We finished our drinks pretty quickly and left.
Had to give a statement to the police many years ago as I was standing next to a guy that got murdered that evening after being in gladstones.

cant really remember much now but sure the bouncer was involved.
good pub back then though.

Bishop Hibee
25-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Porty was a place I never fancied for a pint ..although ducked & dived in a few during my skinhead days with the Sands hotel probably being a favourite..:whistle: ...

Its funny how the pub scene has changed throughout the years & in particular pubs in porty ..each had a unique identity, characteristics & features as well as patrons....some are now long gone & others just managing to eke out a living ..First & Last (McCarthurs ?) ..now flats ..Tides in ..no longer a pub ...old public bogs next door ..now Cropleys bar ..British Legion ..now flats..Coach & Horses ..kids birthday party venue....Foresters Arms..now a trendy pub grub joint....Plough/Tree Monkeys ..now closed ...Galleon ...still a local ...Pop Inn ...now a bookies ...Central bar/Beaten Docket/Glass blower ..still a local but has been open & shut so many times ...Dutchman/Ruthvens ..pub/eaterie last time I saw it ..Marine bar ..long gone ..Royal hotel ..now flats ..Portobello bar ..still a local...Figgate Whinns/Barrelio ..now closed ...Bluebell inn ..long gone ..now forms part of a chip shop & a barbers ..

Jeezo ...that's a few pubs ..throw in the Clifton ..the Sands hotel & yam haunt the Seabeach hotel ..

Also add the Promms across the road from the pool which was a real trendy wine bar late 80s and the Hamilton Lodge Hotel on the prom.

The 3 Monkeys was getting a lick of paint on Saturday so may reopen.

Mixu62
25-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Porty - The Central.....need I say more?!!

snooky
25-03-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm surprised at the lack of Porty or Leith pubs. .....

I was at a gig in the Seabeach Hotel in Porty around (circa 1970).
Did it not have a bit of a reputation at one time?

Future17
26-03-2015, 11:15 AM

The roughest pub I've ever been in was The Spotted Cow in Stockton-on-Tees. Dirt cheap but I would never have got out alive if I hadn't been with a local. Closed due to drug dealing from the premises I heard.

I remember the former landlord of The Pop Inn was murdered about 12/13 years ago; the killer(s) have never been found. The story was he received a phone call at home (he lived in Joppa) one evening and went out to meet someone who picked him up in car. He was never seen alive again and his body was found about 3 months later down an embankment near Kinnaird Park.

I remember it was suggested he had a "colourful" past and there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds at the time as to what might have happened.

Killiehibbie
26-03-2015, 05:53 PM
I remember the former landlord of The Pop Inn was murdered about 12/13 years ago; the killer(s) have never been found. The story was he received a phone call at home (he lived in Joppa) one evening and went out to meet someone who picked him up in car. He was never seen alive again and his body was found about 3 months later down an embankment near Kinnaird Park.

I remember it was suggested he had a "colourful" past and there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds at the time as to what might have happened.I don't think Billy deserved an ending like that.

Bishop Hibee
26-03-2015, 07:26 PM

I remember it was suggested he had a "colourful" past and there were all sorts of rumours doing the rounds at the time as to what might have happened.

Sad way for any life to end. Some real dodgy types drank in there and not all old guys either. The gentrification of Porty probably isn't a bad thing when I think back.

Living at Leith Links I pass The Marksman and Dukes Head a lot. Real throwback to days gone by. The Foot o' The Walk is without doubt the most soulless pub I've ever been in. My local is the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern) which is a decent locals pub. One of the last in Edinburgh to install a ladies loo I believe.

Hiber-nation
26-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Sad way for any life to end. Some real dodgy types drank in there and not all old guys either. The gentrification of Porty probably isn't a bad thing when I think back.

Living at Leith Links I pass The Marksman and Dukes Head a lot. Real throwback to days gone by. The Foot o' The Walk is without doubt the most soulless pub I've ever been in. My local is the Bottom Shop (Links Tavern) which is a decent locals pub. One of the last in Edinburgh to install a ladies loo I believe.

Is Eddie Sked ever in these days BH? He used to work behind the bar but was sadly losing his sight. Used to know him a while back but our paths haven't crossed for about 10 years.

heretoday
26-03-2015, 08:08 PM
The biggest problem I have with the White Lady (Wetherspoons) in Corstorphine is that at least once a week me and my mate (he's from Isle of Sheppey) get asked either one of the following:

You two up here working?
You two here on holiday?
What you are two doing in Edinburgh?

Every ****** week without fail we get asked these questions in the White Lady :brickwall :greengrin probably doesn't help that it's also a hotel so they think we must be staying there.

Just tell 'em to ++++ off.

I was in there today actually and had a pint of Bath Ale for £1.99 - you cannot beat that price. So I carried on and had three.

Three pints for less than six quid. A Scotsman's dream.

Scouse Hibee
27-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Just tell 'em to ++++ off.

I was in there today actually and had a pint of Bath Ale for £1.99 - you cannot beat that price. So I carried on and had three.

Three pints for less than six quid. A Scotsman's dream.

My life experience has taught me that telling someone to **** off in a pub is generally not the best course of action.

DH1875
27-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Had to give a statement to the police many years ago as I was standing next to a guy that got murdered that evening after being in gladstones.

cant really remember much now but sure the bouncer was involved.
good pub back then though.

I went to Gladstones ONCE. Meet this bird in a pub on Leith Walk one saturday night. She suggested we go there for a couple of drinks towards the end of the night. Was in the place for all of ten minutes when a guy that I knew came up to me and basically told me I had to leave as some of the locals werent happy I was there and they were going to do me in. Apparently they weren't to keen on a weegie being in the place and were royally gonna duck me up. I have/had no reason to doubt the guy as although he wasnt a friend he was a very good acquaintance. I have spoken to him since that night and he has confirmed I was only minutes from god knows what. If he's reading this, he knows who he is. Top man :aok:.

marti1875
06-04-2015, 07:25 AM
Ah the Penny Black. I remember getting home from a nights clubbing at 3am once, deciding to play frisbee on the meadows for a couple of hours and then we decided to get a taxi to the Penny Black at 5am.

It was already busy.

I remember i actually had a "VIP PASS" to get in the Penny B so i never had to wait in the silly drunken queues.....i just waltzed to the front showed my wee card and that was me sorted! In get a pick of my seat, get my drinks and then sit back and let the ermmmm "entertainment" commence!! :aok:

I saw some very silly things in there, hilariously comical gold moments to the downright scary violent drunken incidents!

I must say it was good at the time but not something i am exactly shouting and proud about....having a VIP pass to a pub that opened at 5am then latterly 6am. ha ha :greengrin

They used to have Karaoke at 8am and even a stripper too which was the most bizarre thing ever as it seemed more like some chavvy drunk girl who just happened to be in the place wluld get unp and dance to the jukebox whilst getting her kit off...most of the pllace would ignore her., ha. ha .....

..absolutely bonkers it was.....funny looking back but it had everything in there...it was an institution sadly gone now. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-04-2015, 03:21 PM

The Spey Lounge appears to be the place to go for people that have given up. When you are on a downer its not a bad place to sit in for half an hour to show that things could be worse! :-) Only been in it a handful of times I hasten to add.

Wilson
06-04-2015, 03:36 PM
The Spey Lounge appears to be the place to go for people that have given up. When you are on a downer its not a bad place to sit in for half an hour to show that things could be worse! :-) Only been in it a handful of times I hasten to add.

You make it sound like 'the blue note' from Naked Gun 2 1/2 :-)

lord bunberry
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
I sometimes sit in the taxi rank opposite the Spey. Some of the sights I've seen outside have been enough to make sure I never go in there. I once saw a guy stagger out with a TV in his hands, he took a couple of steps and fell over smashing the TV. He just walked away and got on a bus, leaving the smashed TV on the ground.

silverhibee
06-04-2015, 11:04 PM

Pretty sure it was a brother who murdered his older brother and there was a body found outside the place which may have taken place inside and the body dragged out, a very scary pub to drink in if you weren't a local back in the day.

The Ferryboat, the place is a f***ing dump and always has been, when i was about 17 my mate was stabbed to death in the place through gang fights that took place at the time.

As mentioned the Granton Tap was a tough boozer and sure it had a late license on a Friday night and it was chaos at times.

Anchor, only been in it a couple of times, if you weren't a local then you could be sure of a kicking at any point when in the place, still is a tough boozer.

The Gunner, that was my local, got to have been the worse pub down that area, murder, shootings, stabbings,riots i have seen it all in the Gunner, some tough owners, back in the days it was owned by a family from Airdrie, they had contacts in the West when trouble arose and folk would be sent through to try to deal with it, but in a strange way it was a great boozer to drink in if you were known, disco upstairs which would see some mental battles in the place and outside in the street, all done up inside now and very rarely is there any bother nowadays.

And finally the Doo'cot, had a few tough cookies who drunk in the place but was more of a working mans pub where woman were not allowed in the bar.

MSK
07-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Used to love the old Willowbrae Hotel (public bar) had its moments when the Right Wing "Bingham" drinkers came over for the late bar in the brae ...Willowbrae "Bingham" drinkers v Right Wing "Bingham" drinkers wasn't a good mix after a night of drinking ...:take that......:greengrin

The brae was a brilliant place for anyone needing a trade job done ...Plumbers, Sparks, Painters, Landscapers, Scaffolders.....Butchers ...you had it all ..gash beer/lager but nights of endless fun ...miss the place ...

sambajustice
07-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Been in the gunner a couple of times but only for a pint or two and it was fine. Looks horrendous but was ok.

About 4 or 5 years ago before I'd ever been in I got told that Ye Olde Inn at D Mains had a bit of a reputation, first night I was in I went to the bog and one guy was telling his mate a story and said "...and I don't take **** off naebody" and skelped the mirror and it shattered everywhere! :-D

Heard about a fair few of the boozers in this thread without actually being in them.

Crappiest boozers I've been into probably all hail from the gallowgate in glasgow. Bairds, The Squirrel Bar, Bar 67, they're just sheds that serve pints!!! ! LOL

Most intimidating experience in a pub though has to be Belfast. About 20 odd of us went over from the football team, mostly jambos a couple of hibbies and a couple of huns. Anyway, hearts were playing the zombies at tynecastle and hearts were in decent form. We were looking for a boozer and ended up in the South Belfast Northern Ireland Supporters Club. When you went in it was like walking into someones living room.

I decided I wanted Rangers to win because Hearts were doing just a wee bit too well. A couple of locals joined our group and started going ape**** at the black players in the rangers team.

Hearts won the match and I was miffed. One of these locals felt sorry for me and was going to buy me a pint because Rangers lost, that was until one of my mates informed him that I wasnt miffed at rangers getting beat I was upset Hearts had won because I was Hibs fan!!

To say the guy wasnt happy was an understatement. " A EFFING HIBS FAN????!!!, THATS JUST LIKE BEING A CELTIC FAN" I was honestly expecting the doors to be locked, shutters down and folk to appear out of nowhere with balaclavas and guns. This guy was more angry there was a hibs fan in his pub than 20 jambos all shouting and laughing and cheering that they'd just beat Rangers.

I asked my chums if we could beat a hasty retreat!

MSK
07-04-2015, 10:01 AM
Been in the gunner a couple of times but only for a pint or two and it was fine. Looks horrendous but was ok.

About 4 or 5 years ago before I'd ever been in I got told that Ye Olde Inn at D Mains had a bit of a reputation, first night I was in I went to the bog and one guy was telling his mate a story and said "...and I don't take **** off naebody" and skelped the mirror and it shattered everywhere! :-D

Heard about a fair few of the boozers in this thread without actually being in them.

Crappiest boozers I've been into probably all hail from the gallowgate in glasgow. Bairds, The Squirrel Bar, Bar 67, they're just sheds that serve pints!!! ! LOL

Most intimidating experience in a pub though has to be Belfast. About 20 odd of us went over from the football team, mostly jambos a couple of hibbies and a couple of huns. Anyway, hearts were playing the zombies at tynecastle and hearts were in decent form. We were looking for a boozer and ended up in the South Belfast Northern Ireland Supporters Club. When you went in it was like walking into someones living room.

I decided I wanted Rangers to win because Hearts were doing just a wee bit too well. A couple of locals joined our group and started going ape**** at the black players in the rangers team.

Hearts won the match and I was miffed. One of these locals felt sorry for me and was going to buy me a pint because Rangers lost, that was until one of my mates informed him that I wasnt miffed at rangers getting beat I was upset Hearts had won because I was Hibs fan!!

To say the guy wasnt happy was an understatement. " A EFFING HIBS FAN????!!!, THATS JUST LIKE BEING A CELTIC FAN" I was honestly expecting the doors to be locked, shutters down and folk to appear out of nowhere with balaclavas and guns. This guy was more angry there was a hibs fan in his pub than 20 jambos all shouting and laughing and cheering that they'd just beat Rangers.

I asked my chums if we could beat a hasty retreat!Reminds me of the time a few years back me & Wife flew to Dublin ...got into taxi ..first 5 mins were fine, driver having a bit of a blether ...then the conversation killer ..."So yer from Edinburgh ?" ....aye ..."So what team do ye support, are ye Rangers or Celtic ?" ......eh ..hibs !!.....next 25 mins ....silence ...:tee hee:

TRC
07-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Have to say this is one of my favorite threads in a long time. Having worked in all manner of boozers some of the stories are priceless

Scouse Hibee
07-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Not a rough pub really but my local back in Liverpool honoured one of the locals who had been drinking there for 50 years with a brass plaque with his name (Henry) on it on one of the bar seats where he always sat. One particular day a couple of likely lads came in looking for bother and one sat on Henry's stool at the bar whilst giving it large about this ****** boozer is ***** etc. They were about to be be bounced all over the place when
in walks old Henry and politely asks the young guy to move as he is sitting in his seat, to which replied something like " grandad if it's got your ****** name on it I'll move", half the pub burst out laughing as old Henry pointed out the plaque with his name on it and removed the lad from it by his ear. Funny as **** at the time as he made a red faced retreat along with his very quiet pal.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2015, 08:08 PM
I go into Dickens on Dalry Road wi my old man once in a blue moon as he can get McEwans 80 in there. I think its the local junkies favourite local for selling the wares they've thieved from Somerfields. Only time I witnessed bother though was when a bunch of Scousers were boxing amongst themselves.

3pm
07-04-2015, 08:25 PM
I hate Shakespeare's on Lothian Road.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-04-2015, 08:32 PM

I've not got any particular reason but, I cannae stand the place either.

Bishop Hibee
07-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Is Eddie Sked ever in these days BH? He used to work behind the bar but was sadly losing his sight. Used to know him a while back but our paths haven't crossed for about 10 years.

I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though.

Aye it's rough as now. Used to be ok before The Volley and The Vicky got done up and custom moved there. A mate used to work in The Pipe Shop across the road and I would occasionally meet him in The Spey Lounge after his work. The Manageress had a giant poodle that seemed to have the run of the place. Wasn't a favourite of my mate when it pissed on his coat which had slipped off the stool onto the ground :hilarious Fair to say he wasn't best pleased.

The same mate had The Western Bar as his local as a student in Glasgow. Total dive. A 'highlight' when I was in one time was a Rab C type jumping on to a table and pulling his breeks down to show his 'girlfriend' his new long johns. To be fair to the staff he did get chucked out so hopefully not an everyday occurence! 'Cleopatras' or 'Clatty Patties' as it was more commonly known was the Glasgow night spot equivalent. I was there with the same mate and a another guy after we put the Huns out the cup in 1991. All seemed well until a dodgy character turned to my mates pal and said 'my girlfriends £10 an hour'. Cue drinking up and bolting for a taxi.

Hiber-nation
07-04-2015, 09:51 PM
I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though..

Cheers.

On the Spey, it was sound about 10-12 years ago, used to go in for stovies and a pint at lunchtime occasionally. Certainly wouldn't bother now.

I know you can get a decent (if expensive) pint and have a pleasant evening in a lot of pubs in Leith nowadays but it's just not the same...I used to love my pre-match routine of the Brunswick and Dizzies. Must be showing my age :greengrin

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 08:39 PM
Used to stay In Dalry and would nip into Dickens every now and then on my way home from work or if Mrs Hermit was working late. I remember overhearing a conversation between two older men and one was talking about shooting his son in the kneecaps with a shotgun if he didn't pay him back the money he owed him. Never went back!!

Used to drink in the centurion and that was a rough shop at times. Sticking with corstorphine I would frequent the corstorphine inn which was fine until the owners sold it, went downhill after that! Never ventured into the oak or the alphabet bars which were both battlegrounds at weekends. The oak is a hearts boozer as far as I know. carrick knowe inn was my local but very rarely did I drink there, I hated that pub.

The old salt on leith walk was an absoloute dive of a boozer but it opened at 6am which is when our nightshift finished. Pished for 9am then Gregg's on the way home. :greengrin If we didn't go there it was the penny black.

By far the worst pub I've been in was the pub at Ibrox where the flats were but it's all gone now, no windows at all concrete floor with mesh on the bar!! Plastic tumblers and only lager or spirits for sale. Always dodgy walking up to the ground after a bevy there.

Great thread. :aok:

Hermit Crab
10-04-2015, 08:41 PM
I really meant 'it's the pub most local to me' rather than 'my local'. If i'm out it tends to be football related these days so usually Robbies or the Cask and Barrel in Broughton Street. I'll ask next time I'm in though.

Aye it's rough as now. Used to be ok before The Volley and The Vicky got done up and custom moved there. A mate used to work in The Pipe Shop across the road and I would occasionally meet him in The Spey Lounge after his work. The Manageress had a giant poodle that seemed to have the run of the place. Wasn't a favourite of my mate when it pissed on his coat which had slipped off the stool onto the ground :hilarious Fair to say he wasn't best pleased.

The same mate had The Western Bar as his local as a student in Glasgow. Total dive. A 'highlight' when I was in one time was a Rab C type jumping on to a table and pulling his breeks down to show his 'girlfriend' his new long johns. To be fair to the staff he did get chucked out so hopefully not an everyday occurence! 'Cleopatras' or 'Clatty Patties' as it was more commonly known was the Glasgow night spot equivalent. I was there with the same mate and a another guy after we put the Huns out the cup in 1991. All seemed well until a dodgy character turned to my mates pal and said 'my girlfriends £10 an hour'. Cue drinking up and bolting for a taxi.

That me made howl with laughter!! Brilliant.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2015, 10:03 PM
That me made howl with laughter!! Brilliant.

Get to your bed man you reprobate! ;-)

heretoday
13-04-2015, 09:14 PM

It's just awful. Poor service, rubbish food and in the evening raucous noise and unwiped tables.

heretoday
13-04-2015, 09:25 PM

Winstons is clean and comfortable with a nice carpet but it's like sitting in someone's living room. Very cliquey.

essexhibee
13-04-2015, 10:09 PM
My grandads local was the silver wing. Remember going in as a 14 year old bemused why a guy was selling meat in a pub :greengrin fair to say my mum wasn't happy I had been in when I had meant to have been going up to Scotmid!

easty
14-04-2015, 06:41 AM
My grandads local was the silver wing. Remember going in as a 14 year old bemused why a guy was selling meat in a pub :greengrin fair to say my mum wasn't happy I had been in when I had meant to have been going up to Scotmid!

My granddads local is the silver wing, gets a taxi to and from it everyday. It's only a 10 min walk but his 90 year old knees can't manage it anymore.

He used to go to the Gauntlet everyday til it closed.

snooky
14-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Not a rough pub really but my local back in Liverpool honoured one of the locals who had been drinking there for 50 years with a brass plaque with his name (Henry) on it on one of the bar seats where he always sat. One particular day a couple of likely lads came in looking for bother and one sat on Henry's stool at the bar whilst giving it large about this ****** boozer is ***** etc. They were about to be be bounced all over the place when
in walks old Henry and politely asks the young guy to move as he is sitting in his seat, to which replied something like " grandad if it's got your ****** name on it I'll move", half the pub burst out laughing as old Henry pointed out the plaque with his name on it and removed the lad from it by his ear. Funny as **** at the time as he made a red faced retreat along with his very quiet pal.

Great story, SH :aok:

Geo_1875
14-04-2015, 01:24 PM

Ye Olde Inn (Malones?) used to be like the wild west late 70s early 80s. Half way between Drylaw and Clermiston and there was always someone with a grudge to settle. Top tip was never sit beside the windows on a Saturday night.

The Ferry Boat was mental. I'm sure it was in the function hall there that the cleaners found a body under the seats one Sunday morning.

Cod Boy
14-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Silver Wing is a great pub its well run.

Smartie
14-04-2015, 05:12 PM

Sorry to go off-topic, but…..

I had a mate who worked in the Pipe Shop (probably not the same guy as he was never a student in Glasgow) who had the initials R McL.

When we were in our late teens we went for a party/ sleepover at the home of a girl we went to school with. As soon as we arrived her pet beagle made a beeline for him and started pumping his leg, much to everyone else's hilarity.

The poor hostess peeled her beloved pet off his leg and locked him away somewhere. The sneaky mutt managed to escape however, sniffed out my mate's sleeping bag (which obviously smelt deliciously like him) and had a good go on that instead, squirting a healthy amount of beagle/tadpole juice all over it. My mate was raging.

We obviously mercilessly ripped the pish out of him about this for years.

For a glorious moment I pictured this same chap years later getting all wound up because another of his possessions had been soiled by a doggy deposit.

Pretty sure it must be someone else though as he never went to Uni in Glasgow.

Pretty Boy
14-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Moving away from the roughest pub and into the worst.

The Canny Man in Morningside must be worth a shout. A bigger nest of old fashioned snobbery you'd struggle to find. If I wanted to join a private members club I'd do so, if I want to go to a pub I'd avoid this place.

MSK
14-04-2015, 06:00 PM
Moving away from the roughest pub and into the worst.

The Canny Man in Morningside must be worth a shout. A bigger nest of old fashioned snobbery you'd struggle to find. If I wanted to join a private members club I'd do so, if I want to go to a pub I'd avoid this place.I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!

Billy Whizz
14-04-2015, 06:05 PM
When I played amateur football in the late 80's, we were sponsored by the Dean Bar in Stockbridge. They used to put on sandwiches etc for us after the game. There were a few characters in that pub at the time, used to see all the same faces at the same time every week.
Think it's closed now

Hiber-nation
14-04-2015, 07:58 PM
When I played amateur football in the late 80's, we were sponsored by the Dean Bar in Stockbridge. They used to put on sandwiches etc for us after the game. There were a few characters in that pub at the time, used to see all the same faces at the same time every week.
Think it's closed now

Jeez that was a nasty boozer, some real shady characters.

Hiber-nation
14-04-2015, 08:02 PM
I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

I walked in ..barman "can I help you sir" ...pint of lager please .."bar man, sorry we cant serve you" ..when I asked why, the reason was because I was "not a regular" .... how the **** am I meant to be a "regular" if I cant get served in the ****ing first place !!! stuck up snobby up their own arse obnoxious tossers !!

Years ago me and my mate went in for a laugh, half pished after watching a Scotland game to see if we could get served. 2 guys in suits in front of us walked up to the bar and were promptly told to get out. We were half jaked, tartan scarves on, had never been in the place before and got served no problem. Weird place!

Mr White
14-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Think it's closed now
Think it's called the raeburn now. I was working next to it recently.

Stonewall
14-04-2015, 08:17 PM
I attempted to get into the Canny Man a few years back & was given the swift heave ho ...I was suited n booted & killing a bit of time as I was meeting my Wife before we took in the Nieces performance at the Churchill theatre...

It used to be a great pub back in the day. Last time I went after a long absence (about 10 yrs ago) I couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

When I lived in Morningside we used to drink in Bennets just down the road. Was still owned by the Bennet family at the time: they had sold the one in Tollcross.

Every now and then an escaped inmate from the mental hospital at Craighouse would turn up at the pub. Landlord would serve them a drink and phone the hospital to get them to come and retrieve them.

Billy Whizz
14-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Think it's called the raeburn now. I was working next to it recently.

Don't think so, the Dean was up the side street opposite Shambles, which I think is now called Hectors?

Mr White
14-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Don't think so, the Dean was up the side street opposite Shambles, which I think is now called Hectors?

On Dean st opposite the start of cheyne st?

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2015, 09:12 PM

I don't get this! A pub turns away punters if they are not regulars and refuses to serve them, surely not?

Pretty Boy
14-04-2015, 09:29 PM
I don't get this! A pub turns away punters if they are not regulars and refuses to serve them, surely not?

It's a strange, strange place.

Non regulars are often turned away. Whisky behind the bar (and it is a brilliant selection) that only certain customers are allowed to drink, the sign on the door declaring 'no smoking, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no cameras, no backpackers', the walls and every available surface covered in what looks like the leftovers of the worst bric a brac stall at a jumble sale, having a pad thrown on the table and being asked to write your own food order rather than a waiter/waitress taking it for you, deliberately ignoring people waiting at the bar to see if they'll tough it out.

I'm sure there's regulars in there who love it as it will make them feel a wee bit special when they get into the clique. For anyone else there's about 5 or 6 better bars within 10-15 minutes walking distance.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2015, 09:33 PM
It's a strange, strange place.

Non regulars are often turned away. Whisky behind the bar (and it is a brilliant selection) that only certain customers are allowed to drink, the sign on the door declaring 'no smoking, no credit cards, no mobile phones, no cameras, no backpackers', the walls and every available surface covered in what looks like the leftovers of the worst bric a brac stall at a jumble sale, having a pad thrown on the table and being asked to write your own food order rather than a waiter/waitress taking it for you, deliberately ignoring people waiting at the bar to see if they'll tough it out.

I'm sure there's regulars in there who love it as it will make them feel a wee bit special when they get into the clique. For anyone else there's about 5 or 6 better bars within 10-15 minutes walking distance.

Sounds bizarre and now I just have to try it :greengrin If I am refused service I will raise hell, watch this space for my report.

s.a.m
14-04-2015, 09:43 PM
The Canny Man's famously asked someone to leave because they were disabled (can't remember which disability, but I have in mind cerebral palsy). There was a big stushie about it, but given the chance to say, "Sorry - dreadful mistake. Should never have happened", they didn't. They said the person concerned was off-putting for their customers. I wouldn't encourage them.

Scouse Hibee
14-04-2015, 09:49 PM
The Canny Man's famously asked someone to leave because they were disabled (can't remember which disability, but I have in mind cerebral palsy). There was a big stushie about it, but given the chance to say, "Sorry - dreadful mistake. Should never have happened", they didn't. They said the person concerned was off-putting for their customers. I wouldn't encourage them.

WTF! Is that place stuck in a time warp, every story worse than the last.

Pete
14-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I think Eric Milligan drinks in the canny mans.

Very "yammish" I believe.

MSK
15-04-2015, 07:56 AM
I don't get this! A pub turns away punters if they are not regulars and refuses to serve them, surely not?Heres a review of the place from Lonely Planet ...A lovably eccentric pub, the Canny Man’s is made up of a crowded warren of tiny rooms that are crammed with a bizarre collection of antiques and curiosities (a description that could also apply to some of the regulars), and where the landlord regularly refuses entry to anyone who looks scruffy, inebriated or vaguely pinko/commie/subversive/scouse. If you can get in here, you’ll find it serves excellent real ale, vintage port and Cuban cigars.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland/edinburgh/entertainment-nightlife/other/canny-mans#ixzz3XMWvX7e3

Says it all really ..:greengrin

J-C
15-04-2015, 09:43 AM

May be thinking of Bon Vinant at the foot of Dean St.

Hiber-nation
15-04-2015, 10:10 AM
May be thinking of Bon Vinant at the foot of Dean St.

As Mr White says, the old Dean Bar is now the Raeburn (which confusingly is what the Stockbridge Tap used to be called!). Bon Vivant used to be the Rag Doll back in the day.

Mr White
15-04-2015, 11:42 AM
As Mr White says, the old Dean Bar is now the Raeburn (which confusingly is what the Stockbridge Tap used to be called!). Bon Vivant used to be the Rag Doll back in the day.

Was that before it was berts bar? Didn't know that. I'm in the tap now actually for a sly lunchtime pint. Hand tools only this afternoon :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
15-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Late to this thread, when I started going to the pub for the first time as a 16/17 yo, my local was the Willie Muir having grown up in West Granton. It was cultured,I remember the guy who used to run it was hard as nails "Big Mick". It was mental in there at times.

Hiber-nation
15-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Was that before it was berts bar? Didn't know that. I'm in the tap now actually for a sly lunchtime pint. Hand tools only this afternoon :greengrin

I don't know about Berts but it was the Dean back in the 70s/early 80s, I haven't been down there for ages, just going on what my mate was saying.

I think am barred from the Tap for disagreeing with the bar manager about the behaviour of a workmate after a Xmas lunch a few years ago...some stuck up regulars complaining about us having the cheek to be happy and a bit noisy so we were all chucked out!

Hope you enjoyed your pint though!

Mr White
15-04-2015, 02:00 PM
I don't know about Berts but it was the Dean back in the 70s/early 80s, I haven't been down there for ages, just going on what my mate was saying.

I think am barred from the Tap for disagreeing with the bar manager about the behaviour of a workmate after a Xmas lunch a few years ago...some stuck up regulars complaining about us having the cheek to be happy and a bit noisy so we were all chucked out!

I did thanks, alchemy pale ale :greengrin. I think the tap was called berts for a while until about 5 years ago?

Hiber-nation
15-04-2015, 02:32 PM
I did thanks, alchemy pale ale :greengrin. I think the tap was called berts for a while until about 5 years ago?

Ah the Tap was Berts...yes I remember!

TRC
15-04-2015, 04:31 PM

It was ms he had was a mate of my mums husbands. I worked in a place nearby, one night i ran out of change ran round there and asked to borrow some was turned away and made to feel like something on the bottom of the guys shoe. Anyway about a week later the same guy comes in and asks if he can borrow change. Just about ended myself laughing in his face. Needless to say he didnt get the change or even an answer.

sleeping giant
15-04-2015, 05:40 PM
It was ms he had was a mate of my mums husbands. I worked in a place nearby, one night i ran out of change ran round there and asked to borrow some was turned away and made to feel like something on the bottom of the guys shoe. Anyway about a week later the same guy comes in and asks if he can borrow change. Just about ended myself laughing in his face. Needless to say he didnt get the change or even an answer.

That's him telt then eh :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Heres a review of the place from Lonely Planet ...A lovably eccentric pub, the Canny Man’s is made up of a crowded warren of tiny rooms that are crammed with a bizarre collection of antiques and curiosities (a description that could also apply to some of the regulars), and where the landlord regularly refuses entry to anyone who looks scruffy, inebriated or vaguely pinko/commie/subversive/scouse. If you can get in here, you’ll find it serves excellent real ale, vintage port and Cuban cigars.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/scotland/edinburgh/entertainment-nightlife/other/canny-mans#ixzz3XMWvX7e3

Says it all really ..:greengrin

My plan is to go along and if successfully accepted as a customer I will order a pint, when it arrives I will spend some time examining it before returning it to the barman and politely tell him that it does not reach my exceptionally high standards on looks alone, therefore he can shove his pint and his pub :greengrin

MSK
15-04-2015, 06:24 PM
My plan is to go along and if successfully accepted as a customer I will order a pint, when it arrives I will spend some time examining it before returning it to the barman and politely tell him that it does not reach my exceptionally high standards on looks alone, therefore he can shove his pint and his pub :greengrinIf you ordered a magnum of Cristal champagne & a punnet of strawbs then I think you may ...just may, get intae the Canny Mans fat wallet club ...:greengrin ...asking for a pint will just put you with the rest of us commoners ...:agree:

Scouse Hibee
15-04-2015, 06:32 PM
If you ordered a magnum of Cristal champagne & a punnet of strawbs then I think you may ...just may, get intae the Canny Mans fat wallet club ...:greengrin ...asking for a pint will just put you with the rest of us commoners ...:agree:

I would hate to be considered anything else. :greengrin

s.a.m
15-04-2015, 06:32 PM
My plan is to go along and if successfully accepted as a customer I will order a pint, when it arrives I will spend some time examining it before returning it to the barman and politely tell him that it does not reach my exceptionally high standards on looks alone, therefore he can shove his pint and his pub :greengrin

Have you got a pringle jumper :dunno: That should get you in. Maybe get someone else to ask for your pint, though.:greengrin

Billy Whizz
15-04-2015, 10:42 PM

Ok thanks, thought the Raeburn was the pub beside Hectors. Next time I'm down that way, I'll drive up the street, or down it depending on the one way system

Scouse Hibee
16-04-2015, 06:10 AM
Have you got a pringle jumper :dunno: That should get you in. Maybe get someone else to ask for your pint, though.:greengrin

Haha no Pringle jumper, might be able to hide the accent though :-)

Jack
16-04-2015, 07:28 AM

I used to work in Shambles, I was their first barman, it had always been barmaids up till then. Some great nights, mostly when the punters had left ;-)

First pub in Edinburgh to have Bouncers although it was more a 'fashion' statement than a need.

The Canny Man was the first pub in Edinburgh to have go-go dancers, in a cage at the end of the bar, although that was before my time.

MSK
16-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I used to work in Shambles, I was their first barman, it had always been barmaids up till then. Some great nights, mostly when the punters had left ;-)

First pub in Edinburgh to have Bouncers although it was more a 'fashion' statement than a need.

The Canny Man was the first pub in Edinburgh to have go-go dancers, in a cage at the end of the bar, although that was before my time.In a cage !! see..that just sums that place up ...go go dancers in ****ing captivity !! :brickwall ...they should be free tae roam about the pub not held in a cage ...in other pubs they just danced about on the floor wiggling their jiggly bits ....14697 ...at least that was what I was told ....

Bishop Hibee
16-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Sorry to go off-topic, but…..

I had a mate who worked in the Pipe Shop (probably not the same guy as he was never a student in Glasgow) who had the initials R McL.

When we were in our late teens we went for a party/ sleepover at the home of a girl we went to school with. As soon as we arrived her pet beagle made a beeline for him and started pumping his leg, much to everyone else's hilarity.

The poor hostess peeled her beloved pet off his leg and locked him away somewhere. The sneaky mutt managed to escape however, sniffed out my mate's sleeping bag (which obviously smelt deliciously like him) and had a good go on that instead, squirting a healthy amount of beagle/tadpole juice all over it. My mate was raging.

We obviously mercilessly ripped the pish out of him about this for years.

For a glorious moment I pictured this same chap years later getting all wound up because another of his possessions had been soiled by a doggy deposit.

Pretty sure it must be someone else though as he never went to Uni in Glasgow.

Great story but not the same guy. He lives in New York but I bet he still hates giant poodles 😃 Alan who still runs the Pipe Shop is some character. On the dog theme he used to have a corgi that was so fat he could only get it to go for a walk by waving a chocolate bar in front if it.

Billy Whizz
16-04-2015, 06:22 PM
The Canny Man was the first pub in Edinburgh to have go-go dancers, in a cage at the end of the bar, although that was before my time.

Can't remember that, but remember Jessie's

heretoday
17-04-2015, 04:53 AM

It's always been an odd place. Normal people struggle to finish a pint in there.

heretoday
17-04-2015, 04:59 AM

The Dean was halfway up Dean St past the Rag Doll. The bar you mention was The Raeburn. It had a public bar and a lounge bar.

Got knocked through to form Bert's.

heretoday
17-04-2015, 05:01 AM

Shambles was great. Lots of nooks and crannies. Did it not have a juke box?

Hiber-nation
17-04-2015, 06:03 AM
The Dean was halfway up Dean St past the Rag Doll. The bar you mention was The Raeburn. It had a public bar and a lounge bar.

Got knocked through to form Bert's.

Yeah I know, see my other posts.

Hermit Crab
17-04-2015, 11:01 AM
We should go to this canny man mob handed and order booze, if they refuse to serve us just stand there and say fine but try shifting 30 guys out your pub who have done nothing wrong. :greengrin

Jack
17-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Shambles was great. Lots of nooks and crannies. Did it not have a juke box?

Yes it had a really good juke box although maybe a bit heavy on Bob Dylan, the manager was a big fan.

Peevemor
17-04-2015, 01:02 PM
It's always been an odd place. Normal people struggle to finish a pint in there.

I first went there about 30 years ago and it was fine. We went to see a band, Mr Rythme, playing - a good night and a good gig.

Zazu62
17-04-2015, 01:17 PM
We should go to this canny man mob handed and order booze, if they refuse to serve us just stand there and say fine but try shifting 30 guys out your pub who have done nothing wrong. :greengrin

Haha great idea 👍👌

hibbymick
18-04-2015, 05:14 AM

I think you will find thats when the trap door will open.

Hermit Crab
26-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Haha great idea 

I think you will find thats when the trap door will open.

I say lets do it!

Pretty Boy
26-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I say lets do it!

I'm in.

I'd love to upset the owners of that place.

Hermit Crab
26-04-2015, 03:32 PM
I'm in.

I'd love to upset the owners of that place.

So would I and I've never even been in their pub or met them :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2015, 06:51 PM
I'll do it.

Carheenlea
26-04-2015, 07:00 PM
A general rule of thumb for gauging the roughness of a pub before entering is to look at it`s roof. If it has a flat roof - best avoid.

Zazu62
26-04-2015, 07:39 PM
A general rule of thumb for gauging the roughness of a pub before entering is to look at it`s roof. If it has a flat roof - best avoid.

Can I ask why ?

Scouse Hibee
26-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Go on then humour us.

snooky
27-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Agreed, especially if you're going out for a night on the tiles. :wink:

johnbc70
02-05-2015, 07:54 AM

It because generally a flat roof signifies a pub built in the 60's or beyond and is therefore in a 'scheme' and more likely to be rougher?

Stonewall
02-05-2015, 08:16 PM

When they did the slum clearance in Glasgow they'd often knock down the tenements and leave the pub on the ground floor standing so you'd get a pub (with flat roof) sitting in a wasteland. The Weedgies who'd been decanted from the area to the new outlying estates which had had no pubs or amenities used to bus themselves back to their old locals.

heretoday
03-05-2015, 09:04 PM
When they did the slum clearance in Glasgow they'd often knock down the tenements and leave the pub on the ground floor standing so you'd get a pub (with flat roof) sitting in a wasteland. The Weedgies who'd been decanted from the area to the new outlying estates which had had no pubs or amenities used to bus themselves back to their old locals.

Right. You would see streets and streets like bomb sites with a pub, a bookie and maybe a gaunt church still standing.

sambajustice
10-05-2015, 03:13 PM
Dunno if its been mentioned in here but has anyone been in the Bunch O Roses???

I'd never heard of it until last night and then was told it was rough as a badgers erchie. Out of curiosity 5 of us went down to it to see what it was like.

Was pretty empty one boy was over in the corner eating a light bulb and a few regulars but nothing too scary. Its quite big though and has a pool table so would imagine it could get a bit lairy in there if busy!!

Hibs pub!

patch1875
10-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Dunno if its been mentioned in here but has anyone been in the Bunch O Roses???

I'd never heard of it until last night and then was told it was rough as a badgers erchie. Out of curiosity 5 of us went down to it to see what it was like.

Was pretty empty one boy was over in the corner eating a light bulb and a few regulars but nothing too scary. Its quite big though and has a pool table so would imagine it could get a bit lairy in there if busy!!

Hibs pub!
Used to live a few doors down from the bunch typical local boozer really had its moments but you would only get trouble if you where looking for it.

Pretty Boy
10-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Used to live a few doors down from the bunch typical local boozer really had its moments but you would only get trouble if you where looking for it.

Yep.

I played darts in there a few times maybe 4/5 years ago and it always seemed ok.

Sure there was trouble there if you wanted it but on the whole it just seemed a pretty standard local if you kept yourself to yourself.

MSK
11-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Yep.

I played darts in there a few times maybe 4/5 years ago and it always seemed ok.

Sure there was trouble there if you wanted it but on the whole it just seemed a pretty standard local if you kept yourself to yourself.Was a busy pub in the past when Alan Pentland ran it. Love the history behind the name of the pub. In bygone days the pub was a favourite haunt for railway workers who ventured in for a sneaky pint or nip, they could only do so if no railway management were present. When the coast was clear the pub landlord would place a bunch of roses at the window to signify they were good to enter.

--------
14-05-2015, 09:38 PM
I have no idea about pubs in Edinburgh these days, but there used to be a place down on The Shore in Leith called "The Happyland" ...

Round about where "The Granary" restaurant is now. Could be lively as I recall.

Zazu62
16-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Has anyone ever seen the sign out outside that canny mans pub in morningside? It must list about 6 things that u can't do in the pub, no mobile phones ect

Future17
16-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Was a busy pub in the past when Alan Pentland ran it. Love the history behind the name of the pub. In bygone days the pub was a favourite haunt for railway workers who ventured in for a sneaky pint or nip, they could only do so if no railway management were present. When the coast was clear the pub landlord would place a bunch of roses at the window to signify they were good to enter.

What was it called before that used to go on? :greengrin

MSK
17-05-2015, 09:20 AM
What was it called before that used to go on? :greengrinThink it used to be called the Roll Inn, there was a bakery nearby, if the workers wanted a sneaky pint they had to make sure bosses weren't in drinking, if coast was clear publican would place a bag of rolls on the window to signify coast was clear 😁

HibbyAndy
17-05-2015, 11:21 AM
The Cuiken inn - Penicuik

What do i win ?

Scouse Hibee
17-05-2015, 02:47 PM
The Cuiken inn - Penicuik

What do i win ?

Been in there a couple of times with a mate from Penicuik, was okay.

HibbyAndy
17-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Been in there a couple of times with a mate from Penicuik, was okay.

It's actually awrite if you ken everyone...Decent wee pool table tae.

Mr White
28-05-2015, 07:52 PM
RE the Raeburn Bar, formerly the dean bar on dean st which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It got its windows tanned in the other night and it turns out the current owner or manager is Norval Barclay, good hibs man who recorded the Back Home To Leith track prior to the 2012 cup final.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/thieves-take-stolen-car-on-sledgehammer-crime-spree-1-3785525

Cod Boy
28-05-2015, 09:16 PM
RE the Raeburn Bar, formerly the dean bar on dean st which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It got its windows tanned in the other night and it turns out the current owner or manager is Norval Barclay, good hibs man who recorded the Back Home To Leith track prior to the 2012 cup final.

http://m.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/thieves-take-stolen-car-on-sledgehammer-crime-spree-1-3785525

Has he also got the pub prydes in gorgie old robertsons

Mr White
28-05-2015, 09:33 PM
Has he also got the pub prydes in gorgie old robertsons

No idea tbh. I didn't know he had anything to do with the pub trade, I just remembered his name from that song.

Peevemor
29-05-2015, 05:36 AM
No idea tbh. I didn't know he had anything to do with the pub trade, I just remembered his name from that song.

I didn't either - he was just singing when I left Edinburgh. He's a good guy and both he and his dad Bill are Hibs daft.

Mr White
29-05-2015, 06:07 AM
I didn't either - he was just singing when I left Edinburgh. He's a good guy and both he and his dad Bill are Hibs daft.

Is that bill barclay that used to do the tannoy at easter road back in the 80's and 90's?

Wembley67
29-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Is that bill barclay that used to do the tannoy at easter road back in the 80's and 90's?

Certainly is.

Mr White
29-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Certainly is.

:aok:

Hibernia&Alba
05-06-2015, 11:02 AM
We certainly have some dives in bad areas, particularly in the past, but overall Edinburgh has nothing on pubs I've experienced in other places, namely Glasgow and Manchester. Without doubt the worst pub I've ever seen was called the Butcher's Arms in a poor part of Manchester. Went in there twice with an uncle who thought he'd give me an eye opening experience, and by God were my eyes opened. On both occasions the place went up in the air - fully up in the air - free for alls, like a western saloon: bottles, pool cues, chairs across the room, women fighting men. The most frightening violence I've seen. I think was place was shut was down by the council because it was happening every week.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2015, 08:25 AM
Not Edinburgh but my memories of the Eagle & Child pub in Liverpool are pretty scary. Finally closed in the 90's, they had a bowling green so went there a couple of times each season. Scary place, where outsiders not welcome, folk mugged in the toilets, firearms, and other weapons on show, famous quote from there, "I was minding my own business watching a fight, when a snooker match broke out".

silverhibee
13-06-2015, 05:33 PM
The Gunner. :boo hoo:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/gunner-pub-blames-bulldozed-homes-as-bar-shuts-1-3799020

Pretty Boy
13-06-2015, 08:52 PM
The Gunner. :boo hoo:

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/gunner-pub-blames-bulldozed-homes-as-bar-shuts-1-3799020

Always sad to see a local boozer go.

What's left pub wise in the immediate area now with the Ferry Boat long gone, The Gunner gone and am I right in thinking the Doocot is closed as well?

Hermit Crab
13-06-2015, 09:27 PM

What's left pub wise in the immediate area now with the Ferry Boat long gone, The Gunner gone and am I right in thinking the Doocot is closed as well?

Both these pubs appeared to be very much open for business when I went past on the bus 3 weeks ago :confused:

Pete
14-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Both these pubs appeared to be very much open for business when I went past on the bus 3 weeks ago :confused:

They both underwent refurbishment fairly recently which might have led to the misunderstanding. To be honest I thought they were both away for a while until I saw life.

I'm abroad and can't read the bit about the gunner but it's a shame in a way. They are focal points for communities regardless of location and it's a step in the wrong direction for neighbourly relationships. The guy who pops in once a month might not be on speaking terms with someone who lives a few doors down if they didn't both have a chat about nonsense in their local.

Maybe it's just the way we are heading in general with transient populations and cheap beer from supermarkets.

BroxburnHibee
14-06-2015, 07:32 AM
They both underwent refurbishment fairly recently which might have led to the misunderstanding. To be honest I thought they were both away for a while until I saw life.

I'm abroad and can't read the bit about the gunner but it's a shame in a way. They are focal points for communities regardless of location and it's a step in the wrong direction for neighbourly relationships. The guy who pops in once a month might not be on speaking terms with someone who lives a few doors down if they didn't both have a chat about nonsense in their local.

Maybe it's just the way we are heading in general with transient populations and cheap beer from supermarkets.

That's the problem - £7 for a dozen bottles in Morrisons last night

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Punch Taverns and alike want massive returns from their landlords, some pubs are viable but landlords cannot cope paying massive sums every month.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-06-2015, 09:55 AM
That's the problem - £7 for a dozen bottles in Morrisons last night

I'm glad I don't see the appeal of drinking in the house, not for me at all thanks.

BroxburnHibee
14-06-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm glad I don't see the appeal of drinking in the house, not for me at all thanks.

I'm not a big drinker either to be honest but a couple with my dinner was ok :greengrin

Zazu62
14-06-2015, 12:48 PM

The ferryboat and the doocot are still open I think ?

silverhibee
14-06-2015, 03:24 PM

The Ferry Boat is still open and you have the Anchor as well down Royston which still trades, the Doo'cot i think is open, but seems to yo yo from being closed for a few weeks then open for a bit then closes again, no music or TV and pish beer/lager in the Doo'cot so struggles to bring in any punters, it is always empty when you drive past it, shame as it was a great boozer to drink in back in the day.

Mackenzie's pub in Davidson Mains (just been taking over by new owner) seems to be the popular choice for most folk nowadays.

silverhibee
14-06-2015, 03:33 PM

Gunner pub blames bulldozed homes as bar shuts.

TELEVISION stars and footballers propped up its bar after it achieved notoriety at the hand of one of Scotland’s greatest authors.

But now The Gunner in Pennywell Road – which once served the likes of Jonathan Ross and former Hibs players Anthony Stokes and Derek Riordan – has closed.

Heartbroken landlady Maria McGovern, 52, claimed she had tried “everything” to keep the pub – a haunt of characters in Irvine Welsh’s Trainspotting – open and blamed the loss of hundreds of homes bulldozed in the regeneration of Muirhouse. Maria, who has run the pub for nine years with partner John Burrell, added: “I’m all for regeneration – but at what cost? It could have been saved and it could have worked if they hadn’t knocked those houses down in one go.

“They have ripped the heart out of the community.
“They knocked 950 houses down in the area between 2008 and 2010. That’s 950 potential customers gone. There has been no support for local businesses.”

John, 56, said the pub had lost more than £1 million in the past four years, forcing them to plough their own money into the business just to keep it running.

Customers have been left devastated by the news, with shocked punters turning up to find signs reading ‘Closed until further notice’.

Maria said: “I have had customers at the door crying in my arms.
“There is one guy who has drank in here for 47 years, and I had to watch him standing outside reading the [closure] notice.

“Those are the ones I care about. What are they going to do?”

Maria also pointed to a lack of funding from leaseholder Punch Taverns, which claims it is “impossible” to commit to investment in the pub.

A Punch Taverns spokesman said: “We can confirm that our licensee at The Gunner has made the decision to leave as she no longer feels the business is viable for her.
The area and demographics around The Gunner has changed. With that level of uncertainty as to the future, it makes it impossible for us to commit to invest in the pub with any surety.”

More than £40m is being pumped into the area as the council builds 700 new homes.

And there may be a late reprieve for the pub, with ward councillor Steve Cardownie seeking to broker a deal to save it at a meeting tomorrow with city chief executive Sue Bruce.

He wants to see the city become “sympathetic” landlords to the licensees, adding: “When the council took away all those houses it reduced their customer base and they have not been recompensed in any way by the council.

stoneyburn hibs
14-06-2015, 06:52 PM
The Ferry Boat is still open and you have the Anchor as well down Royston which still trades, the Doo'cot i think is open, but seems to yo yo from being closed for a few weeks then open for a bit then closes again, no music or TV and pish beer/lager in the Doo'cot so struggles to bring in any punters, it is always empty when you drive past it, shame as it was a great boozer to drink in back in the day.

Mackenzie's pub in Davidson Mains (just been taking over by new owner) seems to be the popular choice for most folk nowadays.

Sacrilege to say that the Anchor is in Royston.

silverhibee
14-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Sacrilege to say that the Anchor is in Royston.

Wardieburn :greengrin

stoneyburn hibs
14-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Wardieburn :greengrin

Haha, close enough.

davy malcolm
14-06-2015, 08:56 PM
granton

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

silverhibee
14-06-2015, 10:25 PM
granton

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It was no where near the ramps. :greengrin

sauzeelegod
04-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Good companions oxgangs

O'Rourke3
07-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Boy that was a long and entertaining read. Been in many of those mentioned without bother. Clock Inn in Dalry Rd definitely full of portraits by Picasso. Scariest place I've ever been in was (I think originally) the Green Tree on Gorgie Road the boozer Robbo took over and apparently full of the fascist no surrender chapter of the Jambo's. It's a Monday, 5:00 3 people in the bar and I want to use the phone (1980s). Could feel the eyes drilling in my back as I made a 30 second call so necked a fresh orange and left with a fast shuffle.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2019, 01:05 PM
Just had a wee re-read of this thread (and what a great read it is) and thought it was time for a few updates from our younger posters.

heretoday
04-06-2019, 01:45 PM
The Hop Poles in Tulse Hill, London.

Early 70s. Very heavy place.

I think in Edinburgh the worst pub was halfway down Leith Walk on the left. I can't remember its name.
I went in there once in the 80s and there was an Indian guy flaked out on the floor, his turban in disarray.
I made my excuses and left.

Peevemor
04-06-2019, 01:50 PM

I think in Edinburgh the worst pub was halfway down Leith Walk on the left. I can't remember its name.
I went in there once in the 80s and there was an Indian guy flaked out on the floor, his turban in disarray.

He must have been Sikh...

heretoday
04-06-2019, 01:56 PM
He must have been Sikh...

You should be on the radio with that kind of stuff!

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2019, 02:06 PM

Sounds like a bit of a raj!

Moulin Yarns
04-06-2019, 02:46 PM
You should be on the radio with that kind of stuff!

He should be on stage, the next one out of Dodge City.

Bangkok Hibby
04-06-2019, 06:10 PM

My mate was manager in the Bull and Bush in the late seventies, early eighties. The owners name was Alan Mercer (any relation?)
I was barred from the Burnt Post the first night it opened 😀🍺🍺🍺

Bangkok Hibby
04-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Dont remember a cage? Just a girl and a huge mirror.

Eaststand
04-06-2019, 06:29 PM
My mate was manager in the Bull and Bush in the late seventies, early eighties. The owners name was Alan Mercer (any relation?)
I was barred from the Burnt Post the first night it opened 😀🍺🍺🍺

One of my brothers managed the Burnt Post in the early-mid 70's.
I was just chatting about this to my laddie, about when Lothian Road was the 'in place' to be around that time.

Ps, The BP was a classy pub to get barred from :-0

GGTTH

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-06-2019, 08:29 PM
Just wandered into The Spey for a laugh (wrong turn of phrase), 50p dearer for a pint than TFOTW. 😲

wpj
04-06-2019, 09:14 PM
Had a flat opposite the shrub on Leith walk had interesting nights watching folk a closing time, this was the 80s and some proper characters drinking all the way down the walk.

HappyAsHellas
05-06-2019, 10:37 AM
I remember being in The Jungle (Kings Wark) down at the shore and was in the toilet having a pee along with a couple of other guys, one of whom was legless, head on the wall and feet splayed out in an effort to stay upright. A female walks into the toilet, lifts the wallet from the drunks back pocket, pulls out all the folding stuff before stuffing it in her ample bosom and walking casually out the door.
The shore area used to be such fun back then.
The pub half way down Leith Walk someone else mentioned would be the Volunteer Arms (volley for a swally) which was generally fine, but pubs and pool tables seemed to be a combination just asking for trouble. Interestingly, it sits at the top of Springfield Street (Now Steads Place) which in the late sixties was known locally as the Khyber Pass as a lot of Asian immigrants had been moved into the area.
Still to meet anyone who succeeded in doing the Walk pub crawl. Think it was something like 23 pubs back in the day without turning a corner. Rose street was for amateurs:greengrin

heretoday
06-06-2019, 04:41 PM
I see that Clarks Bar in Dundas St is to close. It's a bit off topic as there was never any trouble there. Sad though. Great place for a session.