Matt Ritchie (Bournemouth)
Johnny Russell (Derby County)

Forwards
Steven Fletcher (Sunderland)
Steven May (Sheffield Wednesday)
Ross McCormack (Fulham)
Steven Naismith (Everton)
Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers)

Good to see Rhodes back in the squad but Forrest over Armstrong and Mackay-Steven :faf:

lord bunberry
16-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)
David Marshall (Cardiff City)
Allan McGregor (Hull City)

Defenders
Christophe Berra (Ipswich Town)
Craig Forsyth (Derby County)
Gordon Greer (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Alan Hutton (Aston Villa)
Russell Martin (Norwich City)
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)
Andrew Robertson (Hull City)
Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielder
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Barry Bannan (Bolton Wanderers)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
Darren Fletcher (West Bromwich Albion)
James Forrest (Celtic)
Shaun Maloney (Chicago Fire)
James McArthur (Crystal Palace)
James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Forwards
Ross McCormack (Fulham)

Good to see Rhodes back in the squad but Forrest over Armstrong and Mackay-Steven :faf:
Is Mackay Steven injured? I can't believe he would be left out whilst he's been in such good form

Spike Mandela
16-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Thought Griffiths might have got a shout.

On paper that is a very weak looking set of defenders imo.

leither17
16-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Where is Matt Phillps as well has been playing very well for qpr

The_Horde
16-03-2015, 01:09 PM
Good to see Jordan Rhodes back in the squad.

Andy74
16-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Defenders
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)

Midfielder
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
James Forrest (Celtic)

Forwards
Ross McCormack (Fulham)

Never heard of Matt Ritchie.

Billy Whizz
16-03-2015, 01:14 PM

Me neither, was he born in Scotland

SlickShoes
16-03-2015, 01:16 PM
His dad is Scottish

frazeHFC
16-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Seen quite a bit of him this season. Brilliant player!

SteveHFC
16-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Find it disgusting Lewis Stevenson isn't in the squad :wink:

Hibernian Verse
16-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Find it disgusting Lewis Stevenson isn't in the squad :wink:

On a serious note given that we're playing Gilbralter and then a friendly, I'm (almost) surprised that Allan hasn't been given an opportunity to join the squad.

JimBHibees
16-03-2015, 02:56 PM

Scored some cracking goals for bournemouth

Big_Franck
16-03-2015, 03:07 PM

Neither had I until this season. I don't normally watch that much English Championship football but Bournemouth have feature in a few of the games i've seen this year and he has been their stand out player. Very left footed attacking midfielder that scores and sets up a lot of Bournemouth's goals.

He qualifies through his Scottish dad. Could be a good addition to the squad IMO.

As someone else above said, that's a horrible defence though. We've been lacking decent central defenders for years now.

Big_Franck
16-03-2015, 03:07 PM
On a serious note given that we're playing Gilbralter and then a friendly, I'm (almost) surprised that Allan hasn't been given an opportunity to join the squad.

Given his form over the last couple of months i'm not surprised at all.

He'll hopefully be back to his best on Sunday though.

allezsauzee
16-03-2015, 03:12 PM

Even weaker set of defenders on grass unfortunately. Pretty decent midfield IMO though

Matty_Jack04
16-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Can't beleive barry banan's made another squad tbh wonder what Scott arfeild or Armstrong have to do

Broken Gnome
16-03-2015, 03:32 PM
For someone who hasn't been paying attention and can't be bothered looking, what on earth has become of Gary Caldwell?

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Goalkeepers
Craig Gordon (Celtic)

Defenders
Mark Reynolds (Aberdeen)

Midfielder
Ikechi Anya (Watford)
Scott Brown (Celtic)
James Forrest (Celtic)

Forwards
Ross McCormack (Fulham)

A squad of absolutely zero quality.

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2015, 03:35 PM
His dad is Scottish

His brother Mubawsa is Nigerian.

lord bunberry
16-03-2015, 03:59 PM
For someone who hasn't been paying attention and can't be bothered looking, what on earth has become of Gary Caldwell?
I think he had to retire

davhibby
16-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Ritchie is a brilliant addition to the squad. Don't get how Forrest has made the squad, George Boyd has being doing well for Burnley so I'd have quite liked him to have been in the squad

SteveHFC
16-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Ritchie is a brilliant addition to the squad. Don't get how Forrest has made the squad, George Boyd has being doing well for Burnley so I'd have quite liked him to have been in the squad

Would have liked to have seen Arfield in the squad too. :aok:

hibeemikey21
16-03-2015, 04:28 PM

Yep, for anyone who is unimpressed or unaware by/of Matt Ritchie; he is a also wee winger who performs better in the Championship than Anya.

Anya has not done too shabby since he came in

Edit: just checked. The stats are as follows:

Anya - 27 games, 0 goals, 4 assists this season
Ritchie - 37 games, 11 goals, 12 assists

Performs SIGNIFICANTLY better!

Aldo
16-03-2015, 04:48 PM
James Forrest WTF has he been doing in the last few months apart from warming the bench!!

poolman
16-03-2015, 04:49 PM

:agree:

Boyle89
16-03-2015, 04:50 PM
James Forrest WTF has he been doing in the last few months apart from warming the bench!!

Wears a celtic top?

Hibby Bairn
16-03-2015, 05:24 PM
His brother Mubawsa is Nigerian.

:tumble: :whistle:

Nameless
16-03-2015, 05:28 PM
The only on form strikers are Naismith and Rhodes. No matter what you think of his work rate, Rhodes is a must for the Gibraltar game - he'd score 5 or 6 easy.

Bostonhibby
16-03-2015, 05:34 PM

But its the celtc bench! The bench itself has been warned to be on standby in case there are any injuries as it will then be in line for its Scotland debut.

easty
16-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Matt Ritchie looks a good player, with a great record this season, but I've just seen him on Sky Sports News saying how he's never even been in Scotland in his life.

I wouldn't pick him if I was Scotland manager.

Jonnyboy
16-03-2015, 06:41 PM
Matt Ritchie looks a good player, with a great record this season, but I've just seen him on Sky Sports News saying how he's never even been in Scotland in his life.

Pretty sure Malonga had never been to the Congo ................. :greengrin

OsloHibs
16-03-2015, 07:58 PM
Laughable that Scott Allen isn't in your squad.

Future17
16-03-2015, 10:14 PM
Laughable that Scott Allen isn't in your squad.

It's really not.

Speedy
16-03-2015, 11:54 PM

Neither would I. Get guys in that care about wearing the jersey.

Speedy
16-03-2015, 11:59 PM
It's really not.

Agreed. He's done well for us but if he played for anyone else in this league we'd be slating his inclusion.

dp00
17-03-2015, 08:52 AM
Stunned Armstrong; McKay Stevens and even griffiths ain't in squad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scottie
17-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Neither would I. Get guys in that care about wearing the jersey.
:agree: And the malaise of ***** Englishmen representing our country continues

Smartie
17-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Have any of the "anglo-Scots" ever let us down or looked like they've given less than 100%?

The moment they do, they get the full force of my wrath.

Until then I'm happy to back anyone who has been chosen for Scotland.

There are some current players (Anya and Morrison just for starters) whose Scottish links are tenuous but they are now mainstays of the team.

It's the modern game, these are the rule so we may as well play by the same rules as all other countries do.

easty
17-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Have any of the "anglo-Scots" ever let us down or looked like they've given less than 100%?

There are some current players (Anya and Morrison just for starters) whose Scottish links are tenuous but they are now mainstays of the team.

It's the modern game, these are the rule so we may as well play by the same rules as all other countries do.

Anya who was born in Glasgow you mean? That's not all that tenuous.

Also, and I'm a broken record on this front, I'd rather not win the World Cup or European Championship with a team of Scottish Scotland players, than not win them with a team of not-Scottish Scotland players.

Big_Franck
17-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Aye, Kris Commons being the most recent one. He was poor for Scotland almost every time I seen him play for us.

Before that there was the likes of Jamie Mackie, Craig McKail-Smith, Danny Fox, Matty Elliott, Paul Devlin and Nigel Quashie. IMO they were all poor for us and were no better than Scottish players that were available at the time.

BSEJVT
17-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Aye, Kris Commons being the most recent one. He was poor for Scotland almost every time I seen him play for us.

Before that there was the likes of Jamie Mackie, Craig McKail-Smith, Danny Fox, Matty Elliott, Paul Devlin and Nigel Quashie. IMO they were all poor for us and were no better than Scottish players that were available at the time.

Agree entirely

Its complete role reversal

It the days of the good Irish team made up of the likes of Ray Houghton etc Scotland managers got slated for not picking up on such players

The worm has completely turned and rather than being beaten by that stick again if its a marginal call they pick the outsider rather than the Scottish guy.

Don't get me wrong, we have unearthed some decent players this way but the role of shame quoted above diminishes the value of a Scotland cap and if it were a marginal call I would rather err on the side of a real Scottish guy who has probably striven since primary school to be in with a chance of playing for Scotland.

Far rather that than some guy not good enough for England with tenuous links who has nothing better to do.

Smartie
17-03-2015, 11:16 AM
It's hard to tell in advance who the good ones and bad ones are going to be though.

Don Hutchison turned out to be a great player for Scotland, what were his credentials prior to playing for Scotland that would suggest he'd be better than the rest?

Of your list, hardly any of them made an impact and were correctly discarded early, as should be done when a player (100% Scottish or otherwise) doesn't make the grade. And I'd argue that Matt Elliott was actually pretty decent for Scotland.

I also long for a simpler life, where everything is black and white and only "Scottish" players play for Scotland. But that isn't the current International scene, the lines are now a bit blurred and for more than 20 years now you've been able to qualify to play for your country via your grandparents. Other countries all do it (Germany win the world cup doing it) so we're spiting ourselves by not doing it ourselves.

Put it this way - I'd rather have a "75% English" good player, good pro, playing out of his skin thinking about a much-loved grandparent bursting with pride watching their grandchild represent their country rather than some of the Old Firm no marks we've had over the years, going through the motions when they'd much rather be back at their club/ having a week off/ in the boozer.

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2015, 11:17 AM
cough Steven Fletcher :greengrin

Big_Franck
17-03-2015, 11:24 AM
cough Steven Fletcher :greengrin

He's got a weegie accent so he passes the Scottishness test though :greengrin

Seriously though, i've no problem with the likes of Jordan Rhodes representing Scotland if they feel Scottish. For me it's a completely different story for people who have never set foot in our country in their lifetime.

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2015, 11:26 AM
He's got a weegie accent so he passes the Scottishness test though :greengrin

Seriously though, i've no problem with the likes of Jordan Rhodes representing Scotland if they feel Scottish. Completely different story for people who have never set foot in our country in their lifetime.

That's always been the test for me, for football and for nationality generally. It's almost irrelevant what your passport says, it's how you define yourself that counts.

Smartie
17-03-2015, 11:32 AM
That's always been the test for me, for football and for nationality generally. It's almost irrelevant what your passport says, it's how you define yourself that counts.

I am 100% Scottish, I know that for a fact. Born here, lived all my life here, 4 Scottish grandparents so it is all I know.

I suppose there are those who clearly aren't Scottish although they do qualify.

There is a massive grey area though. People move house frequently, live in different countries have kids with people from other countries.

It must be impossible to gauge how someone feels.

Fair play to those (like Wayne Rooney iirc) who turn down other countries because they don't feel like that is their nationality.

But I don't think we should turn our backs on people who may turn out to be excellent, very committed players for us.

Gus
17-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Anya who was born in Glasgow you mean? That's not all that tenuous.

Also, and I'm a broken record on this front, I'd rather not win the World Cup or European Championship with a team of Scottish Scotland players, than not win them with a team of not-Scottish Scotland players.

So would you be ok for the team to qualify for one of those tournaments but then not win it due to the fact you are not a fan of the rules?

I think you would support the team aslong as the player who is wearing the shirt gave 110% :na na:

SteveHFC
17-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Anyone going to the games next week?

I'll be at both. :thumbsup:

easty
17-03-2015, 01:04 PM
So would you be ok for the team to qualify for one of those tournaments but then not win it due to the fact you are not a fan of the rules?

I think you would support the team aslong as the player who is wearing the shirt gave 110% :na na:

I would pretty much support Scotland at anything no matter who was representing us, I'm a patriot :greengrin

That said, we're not going to win major tournaments regardless of having these 'plastic Scots' in the squad. So, I'd say don't bother with them. I agree with what's been said earlier in this thread that it's about how you define yourself, not about where you were born. You can have an English accent and still be Scottish at heart.

We played England late last year, who did Matt Ritchie want to win? I'll bet it wasn't Scotland.