PDA

View Full Version : "Glory Hunters"

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 03:21 PM
There's been much said about fans turning up for big games like a semi final or final. This seems to get many backs up and I don't understand why?

I'm a season ticket holder so I know I'll get a ticket. I bought one because I can afford too. Many fans can't or can't make games either. But make the effort in big games. The way I see it would you rather we just plod along the M8 with 8k fans because many don't want to have fans who attend big games?

The more fans there the better for our players and club. For me I love when the so called "glory hunters" come along. If they didn't we would have an empty end plain and simple.

lucky
15-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Spot on. I wish we had more support but we always get a turnout for the big games. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned

erin go bragh
15-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Im with you PB . Just wish some of the glory hunters started going to more games at ER .

Ggtth

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2015, 03:29 PM
There's been much said about fans turning up for big games like a semi final or final. This seems to get many backs up and I don't understand why?

I'm a season ticket holder so I know I'll get a ticket. I bought one because I can afford too. Many fans can't or can't make games either. But make the effort in big games. The way I see it would you rather we just plod along the M8 with 8k fans because many don't want to have fans who attend big games?

The more fans there the better for our players and club. For me I love when the so called "glory hunters" come along. If they didn't we would have an empty end plain and simple.

Dinnae let it bother you matey, i have been once this season and i will be at the semi and if we win that i will be at the final.

And do you know what, i wont feel one ounce of guilt, why should i whose place will i be taking?

HoboHarry
15-03-2015, 03:30 PM

I agree with you. I would come back for a Scottish Cup Final with Hibs in it - does that make me a glory hunter? For that matter, I attended the MLS final between Sporting KC and Real Salt Lake (coldest MLS game on record by the way). Again - does that make me a glory hunter?

Mcpakeisgod
15-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Pretty much me in a nutshell. I would love to be able to but part time work while at uni barely gets me by as it is ! Even though I'm not a regular at the games or on this(post wise) I still find myself on this every single bloody day. Just because it makes me feel good to see fellow hibbies feeling good !

Onion
15-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Spot on. I wish we had more support but we always get a turnout for the big games. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned

Loyalty point system should help to sort things out, and ensure those who put money into the club get a chance of ticket for bigger matches. Bit of refinement still needed to recognise shareholders, overseas fans etc but good step forward.

johnbc70
15-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Never renewed my season ticket after the 2012 season so attend now and again and mostly for the 'big' games.

Although I am not sure you can call any Hibs fan a 'glory' hunter, maybe a misery or pain hunter as there ain't been much glory over the years.

H18 SFR
15-03-2015, 03:38 PM
Dinnae let it bother you matey, i have been once this season and i will be at the semi and if we win that i will be at the final.

And do you know what, i wont feel one ounce of guilt, why should i whose place will i be taking?

I can relate to this comment although I have been to a few more games. The fact of the matter is the wee man would rather go to the occasional English Prem game and take part in other activities on a Saturday. We went to the cup game last weekend, I offered him the chance to go to the game yesterday but his reply was no thanks because he couldn't see the game very well the last time at Cowdenbeath, describing it as a dump and he'd be better at Dam Park (in Ayr) watching the juniors.

matty_f
15-03-2015, 03:41 PM
I'd obviously like to see thousands more at Easter Road when we play there, but the thought of going to Hampden with a few thousand fans is brutal. It's great that people make the effort on the big occasions, it's not a negative at all.

The big games are where the 'Hibernian family' come together, there are enough tickets to go round and nobody that's a die-hard should be missing out on tickets so I don't see hte issue either.

It would be fantastic though, if some of those fans that just come to the big occasions found their way to Easter Road more frequently (the ones that can do it, obviously, not the ones who have no choice) because that would give us a better team in the long run.

weecounty hibby
15-03-2015, 03:43 PM
I suppose I am now in the gloryhunter category. Wednesday night was only my 5th game of the season. I cant remember talking about gloryhunters when i was going every week home and away for years. It must be a new thing. I can pretty much guarantee that with my cirvle of Hibby mates that I will get a ticket for any semi or final that comes up as in all honesty Hampden is big enough for any Hibs game. Im sure that all of the folks like me who dont go every week but make it to finals would love to go each week if the cirvumstances allowed. I would hate to play a final against anyone wiyh only 8000 gans there to cherr the team on

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks the same. Big games are what brings out familes and friends. Because of this they may start coming back if they enjoy it. I love seeing Hampden packed with Hibs fans it's magic! Yes in a perfect world many could make ER too but many have other commitments that can't be avoided.

Anyway the more who come to Hampden the better, let's pack it again!

Onion
15-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Never renewed my season ticket after the 2012 season so attend now and again and mostly for the 'big' games.

Although I am not sure you can call any Hibs fan a 'glory' hunter, maybe a misery or pain hunter as there ain't been much glory over the years.

Term glory-hunter's subjective. IMO a true glory-hunter is someone who has rarely or never set foot in ER, has little interest in football, rarely looks for the Hibs score, and could hardly name a few current Hibs players. They go along to big matches for the banter, beer and a nice day out. They don't really give a toss about the result and have no emotional investment.

The resentment comes when these people are able (through contacts or touts) to pick up tickets for big matches and denies someone who does care and does tick some of these boxes.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Been hunting glory for years, wish it would come round more often.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 04:08 PM
There's a pretty clear difference between a 'glory hunter' and fans who have various reasons for not attending every week.

When the 2012 Cup Final was confirmed I had at least 10 texts in the 1st 5 minutes after the Celtic v Hearts game asking me to get them tickets. I never even knew at least 6 of those people were Hibs 'supporters'. Those are glory hunters. My sister managed to get a ticket for the 2013 final because she fancied a day out in Glasgow on the piss and a party at nigt if Hibs won. She wouldn't have a scooby how to get to ER, that's a gloryhunter.

Folk who live abroad, can't attend due to work, money, location etc but make the effort for bigger games, fair enough.

The group that most annoy me though, and I don't think they are glory hunters just annoying, are the guys who don't have a good word to say about the club from one week to the next, won't attend games for ever changing reasons yet mouth off at every opportunity and are the fonts of all knowledge about what's wrong and how to fix it. There's one in every pub and on every fans forum....They tend to be near the front when the queue for cup final tickets forms.

15-03-2015, 04:09 PM
I have a ST because fortunately my circumstances allow me to have one, doesn't mean i love hibs anymore than someone who doesn't have a ST. I love when we take big crowds through to hampden etc. I wish more people however would start coming back to ER, we now have a team to be proud of and playing some very good football.

sh00byd00
It's quite simple really and it's nothing whatsoever to do with glory hunting. Scottish Football as a whole is overpriced, vastly overpriced. We're watching football that wouldn't look out of place in some amateur leagues, yet we're expected to pay premium prices.

Most of us have been watching it for so long that you're immune to how awful the football is. Most of us then act surprised when we get punted out of Europe by some club that we regard as a lesser club or our equals. When in actual fact, it's us that are deluded, the countries that we once scoffed at are now better than us and offer a better product to their fans for a lot less money.

Can anyone honestly say that any Scottish football league game is worth the asking price? It's akin to paying a premium for a Hugo Boss suit and receiving a BHS suit in its place. Don't blame the fans, blame those in charge and the clubs for overpricing their product.

It's just a pity those in charge don't overprice the product when negotiating new TV deals. They see us as an easy target.

Hero76
Dont see the problem tbh. Also anyone wanting tickets for semi and final if we make it will get them no problem. Will me tske 25k to teh semi ??? No. Final yes 25k at a push with anyone on database being able to buy regardless of loyalty pointz.

Wakeyhibee
15-03-2015, 04:23 PM
There wont be a problem for tickets for the semi anyway. And as always it is fair ST's get first look in for the big games. I don't remember there ever being a problem getting a ticket whether I have been an ST, a 20 game walk up or as now 5 games a season due to work (many not the glamourous games either). The more Hibee's there the better for me no matter what level of support they give the club financially or games they choose to watch

Onion
15-03-2015, 04:57 PM
It's quite simple really and it's nothing whatsoever to do with glory hunting. Scottish Football as a whole is overpriced, vastly overpriced. We're watching football that wouldn't look out of place in some amateur leagues, yet we're expected to pay premium prices.

Most of us have been watching it for so long that you're immune to how awful the football is. Most of us then act surprised when we get punted out of Europe by some club that we regard as a lesser club or our equals. When in actual fact, it's us that are deluded, the countries that we once scoffed at are now better than us and offer a better product to their fans for a lot less money.

Can anyone honestly say that any Scottish football league game is worth the asking price? It's akin to paying a premium for a Hugo Boss suit and receiving a BHS suit in its place. Don't blame the fans, blame those in charge and the clubs for overpricing their product.

It's just a pity those in charge don't overprice the product when negotiating new TV deals. They see us as an easy target.

Agree the product is not worth the price, although the 4-0 hammering of the Huns came damn close :aok:

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Glory hunters are the folk you know from work or school or wherever that are always "too busy" to go to hibs games or "can't be bothered" during the season but are always first to ask you for a ticket for the final or ask if you're going and is there any chance of a seat on the bus etc etc.

I got someone I know tickets for a final and they then went and sold them so now everyone gets told to bolt from me!

Billychaotic182
15-03-2015, 05:15 PM
Living in Aberdeen and working weekend is the reason I can't make many games but hopefully I can attend more next year when I move to Dundee so will be closer.

inglisavhibs
15-03-2015, 05:22 PM

The football even at it's worst under previous managers could never be compared to amateur standard, that's just wrong. The only way to get a higher standard is get better players whether they are home grown or signed from other teams. That costs money and getting the balance right on ticket prices is not easy. There have been games this season that have been worth a bit more than current prices (the Dundee United and Falkirk games spring to mind) and also games that have not been worth the money. Hibs have shown great improvement this season and to keep that momentum going we need more supporters to come back to Easter Road and back the team. Many have understandably lost the habit of attending and it will be difficult to attract some of them back but the alternative is just to give up. Lastly I have watched Hibs for fifty years and seen some awful Hibs teams but I can assure you the current team and players are not in that category, not even close.

EskbankHibby
15-03-2015, 05:37 PM
This glory hunter/part timer chat is something I find incredibly tiresome.

If you got to games great. If you can't go to games fair enough. If you used to go to games loads and now go occasional games - including big games - absolutely fine. If you want to leave after 5, 10, 45, 75, 86 minutes (win, lose or draw) that's your choice.

Pete
15-03-2015, 05:40 PM
These hibs "glory hunters" might invest more time and energy in the club's league campaign if Scottish football was a bit fairer and less about the Glasgow two.

It's the glory hunters who are heading back to Dundee just now with green scarves who are the real problem.

col02
15-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Hibs supporter and gloryhunter in the same sentence is just plain daft imho! What Hibernian have is a core support around the 10k mark when doing OK and a large element of fans who are occasional walk ups and cup semi's and finals attendees. I genuinely feel as a club the time is right for a reverse in the trend of declining season ticket sales as the blend on and off the pitch is one that inspires trust or faith.

Bishop Hibee
15-03-2015, 05:47 PM
You can't call any fan in Scotland who isn't an OF fan a gloryhunter in my opinion. I know a Celtc fan whose only games this season have been home and away to Inter. That's glory hunting.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 05:51 PM

Didn't even bother reading the rest of the thread ... this ...... all of it .......... 100%

GGTTH

bookert
15-03-2015, 05:51 PM

But you will be moaning like hell when hibs can't afford to give Allan, Fyvie renewed contracts. That's the problem with 7k crowds.

Newcastlehibby
15-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Glory Hunters, in my view, are people who do not come from Glasgow and who do not have any family links as a reason for supporting Celtic and in the past, Rangers, yet travel to see them because they win/used to win trophies. People like me are part-time supporters. Glory hunting cannot and does not apply to Hibs supporters.

15-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Glory hunters are the folk you know from work or school or wherever that are always "too busy" to go to hibs games or "can't be bothered" during the season but are always first to ask you for a ticket for the final or ask if you're going and is there any chance of a seat on the bus etc etc.

I got someone I know tickets for a final and they then went and sold them so now everyone gets told to bolt from me!

This. We all know folk like this, folk who CAN go but simply can't be arsed but suddenly pop up when things like semi-finals and finals come around and theres a chance to soak up some glory. It's different if you can go regularly because of family commitments/financial situations/work/live far away etc etc. but It is a little annoying when people can go but won't go.

My_Wife_Camille
15-03-2015, 05:59 PM
It's not the fact that they all show up for the semi finals and finals that annoy me, it's the fact that they are never anywhere else to be seen during the rest of the year.

There were 9,498 fans show up for the last home game against Falkirk this season and (based on the 2013 semi final) there will be over 20,000 making their way through to Glasgow for the Semi Final and over 10,000 of them wont be seen again until another final or semi comes along.

Like I said, i have no problem with the glory hunters/part timers coming along to these games for a day out but I also have zero sympathy for those who never make the effort any other time of year who are unable to get a ticket.

green day
15-03-2015, 05:59 PM
Glory Hunters, in my view, are people who do not come from Glasgow and who do not have any family links as a reason for supporting Celtic and in the past, Rangers, yet travel to see them because they win/used to win trophies. People like me are part-time supporters. Glory hunting cannot and does not apply to Hibs supporters.

This, 100%

Let's be honest, if you have watched hibs in 20 years of cup finals, tears outweigh champagne by a long way!

mim
15-03-2015, 06:07 PM
How often do we have to have these tiresome threads?
I was doing a spot of glory hunting at Central Park yesterday
Big deal, eh? :confused:

sleeping giant
15-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I don't mind the glory hunters . They are the ones who pay £700 for my spare cup final tickets on eBay :greengrin

Hiber-nation
15-03-2015, 06:11 PM
This. We all know folk like this, folk who CAN go but simply can't be arsed but suddenly pop up when things like semi-finals and finals come around and theres a chance to soak up some glory. It's different if you can go regularly because of family commitments/financial situations/work/live far away etc etc. but It is a little annoying when people can go but won't go.

Gets on my nerves as well but hopefully a lot of them will like what they've seen at Hampden and start coming back to Easter Road.

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Practically all clubs in the UK only have a few thousand hard core local fans. The rest are glory hunters who only show up where there is a chance of winning something. The longer the club goes without success, the more glory hunters from their success days they lose. The more sustained success they have, the more glory hunters they attract.

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I don't mind glory hunters one iota.

I'd rather head to Hampden with 15K excess hibs fans than say 7k.

And for the guy that mentioned we won't be able to afford Scott Allans wages with crowds of 7k will we just get Leanne Dempster to tell glory hunters not to bother coming to Hampden as we don't need there cash?

Folk on here need to have a word with themselves and ACCEPT every team in the world has fans that will always turn up for big games!

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 06:24 PM
It's not the fact that they all show up for the semi finals and finals that annoy me, it's the fact that they are never anywhere else to be seen during the rest of the year.

There were 9,498 fans show up for the last home game against Falkirk this season and (based on the 2013 semi final) there will be over 20,000 making their way through to Glasgow for the Semi Final and over 10,000 of them wont be seen again until another final or semi comes along.

Like I said, i have no problem with the glory hunters/part timers coming along to these games for a day out but I also have zero sympathy for those who never make the effort any other time of year who are unable to get a ticket.

This is the bit I find particularly amusing. To see them scrounging for tickets when the opportunity to secure one has passed them by because they couldn't be bothered to get loyalty points or got to the semi and keep their stubb incase it garunteed you a ticket for the final.

sleeping giant
15-03-2015, 06:26 PM
I don't find Hibs fans not being able to get a ticket amusing .
Something not bright with you HC :greengrin

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I don't find Hibs fans not being able to get a ticket amusing .
Something not bright with you HC :greengrin

Bright or right? :greengrin

If you knew some of the roasters that I do that claim to be Hibs fans you'd find it amusing too. :agree:

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2015, 06:30 PM
But you will be moaning like hell when hibs can't afford to give Allan, Fyvie renewed contracts. That's the problem with 7k crowds.

Hibs will do what they do and folk will moan whatever the crowd is. If we had done as good as Dundee Utd who get roughly 7k crowds, there would be a lot less moaning.

Crowds will improve and moaning will get less and less IF we play well and are at the right end of the top league and we are punching our weight.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Ticket bought for the semi, should guarantee a ticket for the final. What a great place to be in, if we took more than 30k to the Falkirk game and then had the headache of how that is looked at if we got to the final and only got offered 25k.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 06:36 PM
Ticket bought for the semi, should guarantee a ticket for the final. What a great place to be in, if we took more than 30k to the Falkirk game and then had the headache of how that is looked at if we got to the final and only got offered 25k.

No headache. Loyalty points wins at the end of the day. Folk with the mist first then working down the numbers until the tickets are gone. This of course depends on passage through to the final.

sleeping giant
15-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Bright or right? :greengrin

If you knew some of the roasters that I do that claim to be Hibs fans you'd find it amusing too. :agree:

:faf: I honestly meant right

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 06:38 PM

No were not. The standard has been higher, nobody is denying that, but that statement is just nonsense :bitchy:

Perhaps the football isn't worth the asking price, but I, like a lot of supporters of Scottish clubs, accept that if the clubs charge any less we would be looking at a top two leagues packed with part time clubs and we would have no chance of our game ever recovering. Look at the league we are in now ... its no accident that the full time teams are at the top. I don't fancy being in a premier league where we are one of 5 full time clubs and the others come to Easter Road with 9 men behind the ball while Hibs struggle to break them down, as is happening this season with Cowdenbeath, Alloa, Dumbarton etc.

I have never watched Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, or Croatian football .... is it better to watch than our league? I remember watching 'as live' games from the technically superior Dutch league on telly a few years back .... a league full of clubs we couldn't hope to beat and it was as exciting as having a bath in Horlicks.

Some folk are so used to watching fantasy football on the telly they have some fanciful idea that that's what football should be like everywhere. Its not, and more to the point never has been.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 06:39 PM
:faf: I honestly meant right

Yeah right :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 06:56 PM

So I've missed one Hibs home game in 15 years and cant make the semi due to unforeseen circumstances and I end up behind someone in the queue for whom the semi was their only game in 15 years .... dinnae think sae !

DH1875
15-03-2015, 07:02 PM

This has happened before and folks missed out. Wasn't funny as I was one of them. Still P's me off thinking about it :grr::fuming:

DH1875
15-03-2015, 07:11 PM
So I've missed one Hibs home game in 15 years and cant make the semi due to unforeseen circumstances and I end up behind someone in the queue for whom the semi was their only game in 15 years .... dinnae think sae !

I'm away for the semi and now find myself in the position of having to buy a ticket for a game I wont be going to lol. Not for the stub, for the loyalty points.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm away for the semi and now find myself in the position of having to buy a ticket for a game I wont be going to lol. Not for the stub, for the loyalty points.

I could be worth it. I'd take the hit as well.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2015, 07:43 PM
I like when Hibs play decent football and I can just about tolerate a poor performance if we win.

However, both those elements have been missing for a few years so my attendance has dropped from being a 20+ year early bird ST renewer, to a pick and choose, now and again, supporter.

I still pay for Hibs TV and to Leith Links, I've "invested" in shares and there's a definite possibility of me buying a ST for next year.

If that makes me a glory hunter, fair enough. I can't go to the semi final anyway. :na na:

CropleyWasGod
15-03-2015, 07:54 PM

Buy a ticket, and get the points.

15-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Gets on my nerves as well but hopefully a lot of them will like what they've seen at Hampden and start coming back to Easter Road.

:agree: A big opportunity for hibs to renew confidence in many people again. Many people gave up after last season as it was simply the final straw but hopefully a good display at hampden next month can show those people how far we have come.

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Imagine what the Club could achieve from having 14-15k of Hibees at ER every second week?

Some are nowhere to be seen until a Semi comes along.............

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 08:10 PM
Imagine what the Club could achieve from having 14-15k of Hibees at ER every second week?

Like a zillion other teams.......

Here's a wee question for you though.. Do you want the hardcore 7K fans ONLY at Hampden or do you want the glory hunters to attend so Stubbs get's a bigger budget for next season?

We really need to drop the uber fan pish here.

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 08:13 PM

Yeah it would be great, but it's not happening though and prob never will. As said before many just can't make it now because of cost plain and simple. These one off games that matter they are attending so good for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 08:14 PM

Here's a wee question for you though.. Do you want the hardcore 7K fans ONLY at Hampden or do you want the glory hunters to attend so Stubbs get's a bigger budget for next season?

Boring, the ones who don't like being chivvied, start to name others uber fans.....Tedious

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Yeah it would be great, but it's not happening though and prob never will. As said before many just can't make it now because of cost plain and simple. These one off games that matter they are attending so good for them.

Yes great, jolly good for them

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Yes great, jolly good for them

Indeed!

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 08:16 PM

More is better but if we lose the same hunters that turn up then don't attend and turn against the team for the next X amount of years until the next semi comes along.

Simkin911
15-03-2015, 08:24 PM
Watched Hibs since 1985. I've never considered any hibs fans in this era or later to be 'glory hunters'. 'Hibs' and 'glory' are hardly hand in hand terms.

The more supporters that attend on ANY occasion, the better.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 08:24 PM

Take out these people can't make it due to cost which is fair enough. What about the other 3-4k a week that can go but just don't?

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 08:28 PM
Boring, the ones who don't like being chivvied, start to name others uber fans.....Tedious

You wanna answer the first part of my post instead if ignoring it ?

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 08:29 PM
You wanna answer the first part of my post instead if ignoring it ?

Nope, have no intention of answering your question.....

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Take out these people can't make it due to cost which is fair enough. What about the other 3-4k a week that can go but just don't?

Fed up of not getting value for money? So deciding to choose the games they want? I've no idea!

As I say in an ideal world they would come back but until they do I'm just glad they are coming to back the team in big games.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 08:40 PM
Fed up of not getting value for money? So deciding to choose the games they want? I've no idea!

As I say in an ideal world they would come back but until they do I'm just glad they are coming to back the team in big games.

I think their expectations are too high. Expecting instant success from managers and players.

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 08:43 PM
I think their expectations are too high. Expecting instant success from managers and players.

I'm not disagreeing with that. As I personally think Stubbs is doing fantastic and he needs about 3 seasons to have a good solid team that plays good football and win most games no matter what league. I think he's more than capable of achieving this as well.

But as you just said, some maybe want it now so what can you do?

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Nope, have no intention of answering your question.....

Dearie , Dearie me..Grow up.

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 08:44 PM

Away and raffle......

MSK
15-03-2015, 08:49 PM

Away and raffle......Right guys ...put the claws away ...:wink:

EskbankHibby
15-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Childish I know but it saddens me a wee bit when I realise that Hibs support is just like any other.

Like other sets of fans we seem to have people who see themselves as some sort of first amongst equals. They think they have a right to question how and when other Hibs fans support our club.

Tiresome.

silverhibee
15-03-2015, 08:55 PM

Just had a strange thought, if we win the Scottish Cup this season ST ticket sales could slump for next season, won the cup, no need to go back anymore. :greengrin

cabbageandribs1875
15-03-2015, 08:58 PM
This glory hunter/part timer chat is something I find incredibly tiresome.

If you got to games great. If you can't go to games fair enough. If you used to go to games loads and now go occasional games - including big games - absolutely fine. If you want to leave after 5, 10, 45, 75, 86 minutes (win, lose or draw) that's your choice.

this, all of it

Onceinawhile
15-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Just had a strange thought, if we win the Scottish Cup this season ST ticket sales could slump for next season, won the cup, no need to go back anymore. :greengrin

Hahaha it would remove the whole raison d'etre from the club.

Fwiw I would have been one of the indignant anti glory hunters 5/6 years ago,but since having kids I have to pick and choose not only my games, but how I spend my weekends. The semi final will be my 4th game this season and I only managed 6/7 last year.

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Childish I know but it saddens me a wee bit when I realise that Hibs support is just like any other.

Like other sets of fans we seem to have people who see themselves as some sort of first amongst equals. They think they have a right to question how and when other Hibs fans support our club.

Tiresome.

Saddens me, that when some query why we don't have higher attendances at home, when circa 25k want tickets for Semis or Finals, then get labelled as uber fans...

Tiresome.

ancient hibee
15-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Saddens me, that when some query why we don't have higher attendances at home, when circa 25k want tickets for Semis or Finals, then get labelled as uber fans...

Tiresome.

When are you selling the raffle tickets?

Baldy Foghorn
15-03-2015, 09:02 PM

I'm not, I am keeping them all for myself, that way I am assured a prize

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Watched Hibs since 1985. I've never considered any hibs fans in this era or later to be 'glory hunters'. 'Hibs' and 'glory' are hardly hand in hand terms.

The more supporters that attend on ANY occasion, the better.

Not even the 35k that attended the league cup final? Of which 25k of them buggered off the next season!

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 09:06 PM

They are on sale now. £28 gets you in this Sunday :greengrin

ancient hibee
15-03-2015, 09:13 PM
They are on sale now. £28 gets you in this Sunday :greengrin

Fortunately as an old codger the club almost pay me for buying a season ticket.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 09:14 PM
Fortunately as an old codger the club almost pay me for buying a season ticket.

At least you go. :aok:

erin go bragh
15-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks to thousands of glory hunters , i got locked outside the 91 cup win . I had been going home and away since season 84 . Had to make do with watching the second half in some masonic weegie boozer .
Horrible feeling hearing all the Hibs fans inside Hampden and not getting in
I even had a hun supporting mate that was in our end . 24 years later and im still fin raging ! Did get to kiss the cup inside ER when budgie jumped up on the East,s fence .

Ggtth

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks to thousands of glory hunters , i got locked outside the 91 cup win . I had been going home and away since season 84 . Had to make do with watching the second half in some masonic weegie boozer .
Horrible feeling hearing all the Hibs fans inside Hampden and not getting in
I even had a hun supporting mate that was in our end . 24 years later and im still fin raging ! Did get to kiss the cup inside ER when budgie jumped up on the East,s fence .

Ggtth

I'd blame the big wigs that made the game pay at the gate rather than slating the glory hunters.

Andy74
15-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Some fans are better than others. No question.

But the hangers on at finals are welcome as we need the support and the cash. Would be good to see more of them more often mind you, but most of these types aren't really going to think the same way about that as the regular go wgatever the circumstances ones.

HibbyAndy
15-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Some fans are better than others. No question.

But the hangers on at finals are welcome as we need the support and the cash. Would be good to see more of them more often mind you, but most of these types aren't really going to think the same way about that as the regular go wgatever the circumstances ones.

Which is the point i'm trying to make.

Not to forget i 100% guarantee Stubbs and the team would rather have as many 'Daytrippers' as possible to roar the team on.

scotiaf
15-03-2015, 09:26 PM
I attend 4-5 games a season, listen to most on the radio( when possible) and check updates on here every week.

I had had a season ticket for a couple of years under the Mowbray era.

i try and attend big games ie last year against Kilmarnock near the end of the season, the play off v hamilton.

previous year against Dunfermline when we needed a win to create a bigger gap at the bottom.

i went to the original play offs against airdrie many moons ago

i will be at the semi and the final(if we get there)

i stay in Glasgow and could probably go more often, but I choose to do other things...shopping, drinks, see family and friends.

Am I a glory hunter ? Or do I come when I think my team really need me

erin go bragh
15-03-2015, 09:27 PM
I'd blame the big wigs that made the game pay at the gate rather than slating the glory hunters.

I blamed the police for a good few years HA .got my fair share of breaches of the peace and fines to prove it :) Im now having a go at the non Hibs fans that were at the game rather than the glory hunters ( dont think Hibs fans can be accused of being GH )

Ggtth

mca
15-03-2015, 11:36 PM
At least you go. :aok:

That's not Fair..

Being Disabled and 400 hundred odd miles away, I don't get to many games..

My Last Season ticket was the New East Opening.. :rolleyes:.. not a good season..

Genuine Question - Do you get Loyalty Points for Club Shop / Online Purchases .. :confused:

Would love to attend the Finals.. - But - Would never like to Deprive Someone a Ticket who Deserved it more than me..

Having Supported Hibs for over 30 years.. I Have Never Once Considered myself to be a Glory Hunter.. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Anyone who follows Hibs for the glory needs to re-think their strategy.

Hermit Crab
16-03-2015, 12:03 AM
That's not Fair..

Being Disabled and 400 hundred odd miles away, I don't get to many games..

My Last Season ticket was the New East Opening.. :rolleyes:.. not a good season..

Genuine Question - Do you get Loyalty Points for Club Shop / Online Purchases .. :confused:

Would love to attend the Finals.. - But - Would never like to Deprive Someone a Ticket who Deserved it more than me..

Having Supported Hibs for over 30 years.. I Have Never Once Considered myself to be a Glory Hunter.. :greengrin

You get loyalty points for online ticket purchases through the e tickets site using your client ref number. You do not get loyalty points for any purchases from the club shop.

NAE NOOKIE
16-03-2015, 01:15 AM
Anyone who follows Hibs for the glory needs to re-think their strategy.

:greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
16-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Im with you PB . Just wish some of the glory hunters started going to more games at ER .

Ggtth

This

givescotlandfreedom
16-03-2015, 01:35 AM

Thought we slaughter Kilmarnock in front of a big crowd in a cup final and they didn't reappear.

Nando™
16-03-2015, 02:06 AM
I've heard people say they'd rather have the 7k diehards at big games instead of the extra 16k "gloryhunters" before. It never fails to remind me how relatively intelligent people can be so ridiculously stupid.

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Normally two of us travel from Saudi and meet up with one other who travels up from Southampton and we buy Hospitality for 10 along with programmes and a wee visit to the club shop to buy hibs stuff for us, kids and grandkids. All in all it costs somewhere in the region of 2500 each with a portion of that going to the club. I'm not doing it this year because I am fed up being called a glory hunter. As the wee cheeky chappy scouse said if people honestly think there's been any fun at all being a hibby in the last few years living in a OF dominated environment and surrounded by EPL fans saying 'who?' then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. That day at Hampden having blown the best part of ten grand on green rolexes and business class travel was the worst day of my life by far ( I stayed right until the last second and took the abuse) and still got called a glory hunter by some twat in George Street that night. I'll watch it on the ipad thanks.:rolleyes:

Phil MaGlass
16-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Never really understand threads like this, "Glory hunters". Folk turn up for big games, lapsed fans turn up for big games, people whom have large travelling distances turn up for big games, the fact we have piss poor attendances, well, we have heard all the valid excuses, get over it FFS.

lyonhibs
16-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Anyone who choose to support Hibs,whether that's for 2 games a season or 32 games a season cannot accurately be described as a "gloryhunter".

Hiber-nation
16-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Thought we slaughter Kilmarnock in front of a big crowd in a cup final and they didn't reappear.

They did. ST sales were excellent for 2007-08, highest ever despite the fact we only won 1 game for the rest of the season after the League Cup win.

Bostonhibby
16-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Anyone who choose to support Hibs,whether that's for 2 games a season or 32 games a season cannot accurately be described as a "gloryhunter".
Agree. But it seems you have to have a go at supporters of the club who choose to go to, or can only make these games for whatever reason. So what are we going to call them?

They seem to be turning up to express their support for Hibernian.

marinello59
16-03-2015, 08:53 AM
That day at Hampden having blown the best part of ten grand on green rolexes and business class travel.

I think we all have a drawer somewhere full of green Rolexes we can no longer stand to look at. :greengrin

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 09:01 AM
I think we all have a drawer somewhere full of green Rolexes we can no longer stand to look at. :greengrin

Yer darn tootin :boo hoo:

Cabbage East
16-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Normally two of us travel from Saudi and meet up with one other who travels up from Southampton and we buy Hospitality for 10 along with programmes and a wee visit to the club shop to buy hibs stuff for us, kids and grandkids. All in all it costs somewhere in the region of 2500 each with a portion of that going to the club. I'm not doing it this year because I am fed up being called a glory hunter. As the wee cheeky chappy scouse said if people honestly think there's been any fun at all being a hibby in the last few years living in a OF dominated environment and surrounded by EPL fans saying 'who?' then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. That day at Hampden having blown the best part of ten grand on green rolexes and business class travel was the worst day of my life by far ( I stayed right until the last second and took the abuse) and still got called a glory hunter by some twat in George Street that night. I'll watch it on the ipad thanks.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you've had it really tough mate.

Bostonhibby
16-03-2015, 09:11 AM

It's all relative - I've got a pair of "lucky" socks and a "lucky" hat and rosette from the 72 cup final in a drawer - yes I was glory hunting way back then when some of these johnny come lately types would use not being born as an excuse.

Their luck will run out if the wife can get to them as they are not exactly in fashion or good condition these days and they don't blend with the general dress code in hospitality that I am resigned to paying for so that I don't rob anyone else of their apparent right to a ticket.

Spike Mandela
16-03-2015, 09:16 AM

Bostonhibby
16-03-2015, 09:20 AM

:not worth

sleeping giant
16-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Are you being serious ? Not about the Rolexes as I'm sure we all have one in our Ferraris but c'mon , you won't be going because some bad guy called you a glory hunter ?

Seriously ? Are you that sensitive ?

Forza Fred
16-03-2015, 09:33 AM

I came back for the 2013 cup final with my brother in law, seeking this glory thing.

All up it cost us about 15 grand each.

I never got called a glory hunter.

I just called a daft bassa.:na na:

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Are you being serious ? Not about the Rolexes as I'm sure we all have one in our Ferraris but c'mon , you won't be going because some bad guy called you a glory hunter ?

Seriously ? Are you that sensitive ?

Okay, you've persuaded me.

Hibbyradge
16-03-2015, 09:47 AM

I'd blame the extra pint before the game.

sleeping giant
16-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Okay, you've persuaded me.

Persuaded you in what way ?

sleeping giant
16-03-2015, 09:51 AM
I'd blame the extra pint before the game.

Now that is a very good point.
Pubs were still heaving when my mate and I left to go to the ground and we still had some bother getting in,
We got in though :greengrin

heretoday
16-03-2015, 09:56 AM
I came back for the 2013 cup final with my brother in law, seeking this glory thing.

Anyone know a pub in Riyadh showing the match?

Smartie
16-03-2015, 10:16 AM
I've heard people say they'd rather have the 7k diehards at big games instead of the extra 16k "gloryhunters" before. It never fails to remind me how relatively intelligent people can be so ridiculously stupid.

I'd probably be one of those.

In order to attempt to justify it, I guess it's personal experience really.

The Hibs support at the Rangers League Cup semi when we beat them on penalties is the best (and possibly the smallest) Hibs SUPPORT I've been in at Hampden. Most of the time when our numbers are boosted by countless day trippers they just get on my nerves, they don't shout, they don't sing, they don't know the players. They just make up the numbers.

And there is a big difference between the "day trippers" that get on my wick and lapsed supporters or those who are genuine fans who can't make it every week but will make a big push for a big occasion.

There have been days though when we have had the swollen numbers and it's all been pretty good, normally because Hibs have given us something to shout about early on.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 10:47 AM

Is the fact that you chose to fly business class, buy rolex watches and pay for hospitality actually relevant to being a glory hunter though?

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Is the fact that you chose to fly business class, buy rolex watches and pay for hospitality actually relevant to being a glory hunter though?

No just emphasising the point that it costs some of us glory hunters a shed load to maintain our passion for the Hibs.

Hermit Crab
16-03-2015, 11:17 AM
No just emphasising the point that it costs some of us glory hunters a shed load to maintain our passion for the Hibs.

Travel economy class and buy a Casio digital watch and sit in the stand like everyone else then.

FranckSuzy
16-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Aye, and that was just the bar bill :tee hee:

Since90+2
16-03-2015, 11:59 AM

Aye, so it is. Why would you need to buy a Green rolex to maintain your support for Hibs? :confused:

heretoday
16-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Aye, so it is. Why would you need to buy a Green rolex to maintain your support for Hibs? :confused:

Hey that's questionable. My entire groin area is tattooed in a tableau of Hibs winning the League Cup back in 1972.

Every night I scratch Jimmy O'Rourke and Paddy Stanton. My marriage prospects were slim then and they are even slimmer now.

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 12:19 PM

Why do people wear green training shoes or green jackets to Hibs matches? Its a posh scarf.

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Travel economy class and buy a Casio digital watch and sit in the stand like everyone else then.

No thanks.

Hibbyradge
16-03-2015, 12:22 PM
This thread is magic.

The argument that people who don't go to matches regularly shouldn't be allowed to go to the games of their choosing is particularly good. :faf:

--------
16-03-2015, 12:27 PM

I had my LearJet resprayed in green and white, Hibs badge, 'HIBS FOR THE CUP' along each side, and re-registered it G-GTTH with the CAA - just for the day.

Did I feel really stupid when I got back to the airfield to fly back to the Caldera ....

And someone had trashed the Lexus in the stadium car park.

NEVER AGAIN!

Bad Martini
16-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Hmmm. Glory hunters?

OK. Lets see.

Arent they the folk who only SUPPORT/FOLLOW/DECLARE THEIR LOVE/ANY MODICUM OF PASSING INTEREST....when, the team is winning (or more likely) once they have won. the "glory hunters"?

So. That rules out most explanations I've read that are based on the turning up to specific games. That is a different thing altogether surely.

Those who only go to games that interest them? Thats not the same thing...look at the crowds at Easter Road. Tell me (and its painful I admit, the *******s) how many times the mutants have conned a win for themselves, albeit by being tax dodging/being wage dodging cheating bassas?? Hmm...

AND OUR CROWDS ARE UP FOR THOSE GAMES???

How about the stinkin biggot brothers celtic and rangers? So, I put it to the jury that in fact, these games are well attended NOT for glory (as we dont always win, the huns excepted as they are now pretty "*****" :greengrin) but surely, those games are those games we have traditionally lost more than we win? Still get big crowds....

I think people do pick and choose their games. I do now. So what? I have on many occassions, picked a prestige glamour tie against a ****ty team from ****knowswhere as it suited my circumstances to attend that game. Yet, my season ticket last year meant I was at every home game.....glory hunting now? Nope. Folk go when they can and when they WANT...the fan polis need to get a grip.

:aok:

I reckon its simple and to keep everyone happy we just:
1) Give first chance to get tickets to those who have a season ticket
2) Then those who have "supported/paid into/in some way helped the club"
3) Then, if any tickets remain....everyone else. After all, if they WANT to join us, who's seat are they taking then??? Exactly.

And are we so good we can be choosy as to who follows us now? Bollocks. Doesnt mean I like folk who desert (or worse still, deny) they actually follow the team when we're pish and hide from the pelters....however, anyone who has taken the pelters on the chin in the name of the club, is still a Hibs fan and thus entited to watch "their" team, albeit with the pecking order above observed.

ANyways, if someone can get me 62 tickets for the final, all in row 07, I'd be much thankful :na na::thumbsup:

Bad Martini
16-03-2015, 12:39 PM
I had my LearJet resprayed in green and white, Hibs badge, 'HIBS FOR THE CUP' along each side, and re-registered it G-GTTH with the CAA - just for the day.

Did I feel really stupid when I got back to the airfield to fly back to the Caldera ....

And someone had trashed the Lexus in the stadium car park.

NEVER AGAIN!

I was ALMOST believing ye Caldera amigo, til I realised you had taken it too far. You are suggesting any plane landing doon the Caldera would still have wheels to touch down again? :greengrin

Radge talk :thumbsup:

Thecat23
16-03-2015, 12:40 PM
Hmmm. Glory hunters?

OK. Lets see.

Arent they the folk who only SUPPORT/FOLLOW/DECLARE THEIR LOVE/ANY MODICUM OF PASSING INTEREST....when, the team is winning (or more likely) once they have won. the "glory hunters"?

So. That rules out most explanations I've read that are based on the turning up to specific games. That is a different thing altogether surely.

Those who only go to games that interest them? Thats not the same thing...look at the crowds at Easter Road. Tell me (and its painful I admit, the *******s) how many times the mutants have conned a win for themselves, albeit by being tax dodging/being wage dodging cheating bassas?? Hmm...

How about the stinkin biggot brothers celtic and rangers? So, I put it to the jury that in fact, these games are well attended NOT for glory (as we dont always win, the huns excepted as they are now pretty "*****" :greengrin) but surely, those games are those games we have traditionally lost more than we win? Still get big crowds....

I think people do pick and choose their games. I do now. So what? I have on many occassions, picked a prestige glamour tie against a ****ty team from ****knowswhere as it suited my circumstances to attend that game. Yet, my season ticket last year meant I was at every home game.....glory hunting now? Nope. Folk go when they can and when they WANT...the fan polis need to get a grip.

3) Then, if any tickets remain....everyone else. After all, if they WANT to join us, who's seat are they taking then??? Exactly.

And are we so good we can be choosy as to who follows us now? Bollocks. Doesnt mean I like folk who desert (or worse still, deny) they actually follow the team when we're pish and hide from the pelters....however, anyone who has taken the pelters on the chin in the name of the club, is still a Hibs fan and thus entited to watch "their" team, albeit with the pecking order above observed.

ANyways, if someone can get me 62 tickets for the final, all in row 07, I'd be much thankful :na na::thumbsup:

Well said!

--------
16-03-2015, 12:47 PM
I was ALMOST believing ye Caldera amigo, til I realised you had taken it too far. You are suggesting any plane landing doon the Caldera would still have wheels to touch down again? :greengrin

Radge talk :thumbsup:

They'd have to get past the razor wire, the armed guards and the attack dogs, BM.

Besides, I keep it in the living-room. :wink:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTwvsAbN5UGku1jJaOzCVghud3D8eHK wemFBVNaZF2fLGVlAi7

PS - totally agree with #125.

IWasThere2016
16-03-2015, 12:52 PM
Hmmm. Glory hunters?

OK. Lets see.

This, and well said Cat Man for the OP. :flag:

Bad Martini
16-03-2015, 12:54 PM
They'd have to get past the razor wire, the armed guards and the attack dogs, BM.

Besides, I keep it in the living-room. :wink:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTwvsAbN5UGku1jJaOzCVghud3D8eHK wemFBVNaZF2fLGVlAi7

PS - totally agree with #125.

All this firepower....what ever happened to Matthew 5:39 !!?! :confused::wink:

Then again, as the Almighty said "thou shalt not chore they neighbours leer-jet or cavort with his ox whilst coveting his banjo" or something :greengrin

Anyways, if you require any nuclear subs to patrol your moat for extra protection, the mutants can sort you out with the keys to one floating aboot doon the Forth...one careful owner....just a few nautical miles and nae evil shennanigans plotted from yon :cb

--------
16-03-2015, 01:06 PM
All this firepower....what ever happened to Matthew 5:39 !!?! :confused::wink:

Then again, as the Almighty said "thou shalt not chore they neighbours leer-jet or cavort with his ox whilst coveting his banjo" or something :greengrin

Anyways, if you require any nuclear subs to patrol your moat for extra protection, the mutants can sort you out with the keys to one floating aboot doon the Forth...one careful owner....just a few nautical miles and nae evil shennanigans plotted from yon :cb

Turning the other cheek is one thing, BM, but there's nothing about letting huns or soapdodgers anywhere near your LearJet.

And I don't cavort with anyone's ox, nor have I ever coveted anyone's banjo.

(I believe one definition of a music-lover is someone who can play the banjo - but doesn't.)

Hermit Crab
16-03-2015, 01:11 PM
No thanks.

You can't moan about not getting a ticket and costs then. ;)

Bad Martini
16-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Turning the other cheek is one thing, BM, but there's nothing about letting huns or soapdodgers anywhere near your LearJet.

And I don't cavort with anyone's ox, nor have I ever coveted anyone's banjo.

(I believe one definition of a music-lover is someone who can play the banjo - but doesn't.)

All fair points, well made :aok:

Especially on the banjos :greengrin

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 01:23 PM
You can't moan about not getting a ticket and costs then. ;)

I always get a ticket and I wasn't moaning about the cost (far from it).

Wellbankhibby
16-03-2015, 01:44 PM

I stay in Barry now which is near Dundee, I have supported and followed Hibs for 50 Years. Saw the good times and Bad times. I cant afford season tickets but I make a Big Effort to get to Big games. I love Hibs and if they get to a final I try my best for a ticket. I have been VERY fortunate as a good Pal (Pete) has got me a ticket the last two Finals. I simply cant afford to go to all the games but I have been a ST holder in the past and My Love of Hibs and our Support would surely justify trying to support the cabbage in a final shouting them on to victory. I simply have to be at the game to hopefully win the Scottish Cup. If I cant get a ticket I will simply cheer them on in spirit but I would want to be there to cheer the Hibs on. GGTTH

mim
16-03-2015, 01:47 PM
I always get a ticket and I wasn't moaning about the cost (far from it).

You could be at the windup, or you could be an
Which is it?

KeithTheHibby
16-03-2015, 01:50 PM
I prefer using the phrase part-time supporters rather than glory hunters.

Anyway it gets on my tits those part-timers who moan about the team, club, managers etc. who never get off their ***** and go to games despite being able to afford or generally attend games.

Thecat23
16-03-2015, 01:57 PM
I stay in Barry now which is near Dundee, I have supported and followed Hibs for 50 Years. Saw the good times and Bad times. I cant afford season tickets but I make a Big Effort to get to Big games. I love Hibs and if they get to a final I try my best for a ticket. I have been VERY fortunate as a good Pal (Pete) has got me a ticket the last two Finals. I simply cant afford to go to all the games but I have been a ST holder in the past and My Love of Hibs and our Support would surely justify trying to support the cabbage in a final shouting them on to victory. I simply have to be at the game to hopefully win the Scottish Cup. If I cant get a ticket I will simply cheer them on in spirit but I would want to be there to cheer the Hibs on. GGTTH

If we get there I hope you do get one. You certainly don't need to justify yourself that's for sure. I'm sure most who want one will eventually get one if we made it to the final.

Like yourself there are many fans who have followed Hibs for years who no longer can for various reasons, that doesn't make you any less of a fan.

Hermit Crab
16-03-2015, 02:34 PM
I prefer using the phrase part-time supporters rather than glory hunters.

Anyway it gets on my tits those part-timers who moan about the team, club, managers etc. who never get off their ***** and go to games despite being able to afford or generally attend games.

:agree:

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-03-2015, 02:57 PM
In the time before social media I can't remember this subject causing so much emotional upset, you either went to the games or you never and you never bothered what others did.

Hibbyradge
16-03-2015, 03:01 PM
In the time before social media I can't remember this subject causing so much emotional upset, you either went to the games or you never and you never bothered what others did.

You think this is bad?

Carnage awaits if we get to the final!

Keith_M
16-03-2015, 03:04 PM
I consider myself a Glory Hunter.

So far, though, the hunt hasn't been very successful :wink:

Bostonhibby
16-03-2015, 04:34 PM

:greengrin Give's a shout if you see any and we'll all come out of the woodwork.:aok:

Hibernian Verse
16-03-2015, 04:36 PM
I've not read all of the posts in here so apologies if already posted...

IMO, It's a vicious circle. Yes, it's great that we can get bigger crowds for Semis and Finals etc, but often, the same people moaning about the lack of talent on the pitch saying they'll never go back until this changes are their/our own worst enemies.

If people don't go to the games, then the club have to charge high prices to make money to then put a (better) team on the park.

I'm not saying prices would change, but the quality of player would most definitely.

We also have higher operating costs than most other clubs in Scotland.

There simply isn't enough sponsorship in Scotland to offset the need for high prices if we want to compete at the top.

Edit: I live in Aberdeen and have a season ticket. I travel to most games home and away. I'm just out of uni so not on a great wage and I'm currently paying over the odds for rental in an overpriced Aberdeen housing market and have a horrendous overdraft and a £5k student loan. My point is that Hibs are a life choice, not that I'm an uber fan.

Northern Hibby
16-03-2015, 04:37 PM
I am a Glory Hunter, I hunt it with Hibs :agree:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 05:28 PM
You could be at the windup, or you could be an
Which is it?
Not at the wind up so must be the latter if you say so.

mim
16-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Not at the wind up so must be the latter if you say so.

Thought so.

SaudiHibby
16-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Thought so.

Clearly a crime on Hibs net to enjoy the finer things in life :rolleyes:

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Clearly a crime on Hibs net to enjoy the finer things in life :rolleyes:

Whatever you do don't be so sensitive as to stop flying business class, buying rolex's or enjoying hospitality ;-)

Onion
16-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Never really understand threads like this, "Glory hunters". Folk turn up for big games, lapsed fans turn up for big games, people whom have large travelling distances turn up for big games, the fact we have piss poor attendances, well, we have heard all the valid excuses, get over it FFS.

I don't sense many have a problem with transients who turn up for the odd big game , as long as they're not denying other fans tickets. The loyalty system is a great start but can and should be extended to recognise those that want to be part of the Hubernian family, but can't make many games. Once that's done, and there's a fair priority system, talk about glory hunters will calm down.

Malthibby
16-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Been said, but I'll say it again to up me post count - Rantic fans outside Glasgow are the Glory Hunters,
the term as applied to the Mighty Hibees would break the Trades Descriptions Act.
GG

emerald green
16-03-2015, 06:59 PM
I've not had time to read this whole thread so this point may have been made already. I never thought of the term "Glory Hunter" as applying to people who support / follow their local club, like Hibs for example.

When I was younger we used to use this as a derogatory term for "supporters" (especially from Edinburgh) who strutted about in Edinburgh wearing Rangers & Celtic football tops, and some of whom got the bus / train through to either Ibrox or Parkhead most weeks (and some of them never). These were people born and bread in Edinburgh, with no connection with Glasgow whatsoever.

I knew a few of them. Just people wanting to be associated with a club that wins things. Hunting for glory.

Also, for a while it was Man Utd strips, then as Chelsea and Man City started buying titles / trophies their strips became more and more prevalent around town too.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 07:02 PM
I've not had time to read this whole thread so this point may have been made already. I never thought of the term "Glory Hunter" as applying to people who support / follow their local club, like Hibs for example.

When I was younger we used to use this as a derogatory term for "supporters" (especially from Edinburgh) who strutted about in Edinburgh wearing Rangers & Celtic football tops, and some of whom got the bus / train through to either Ibrox or Parkhead most weeks (and some of them never). These were people born and bread in Edinburgh, with no connection with Glasgow whatsoever.

I knew a few of them. Just people wanting to be associated with a club that wins things. Hunting for glory.

Also, for a while it was Man Utd strips, then as Chelsea and Man City started buying titles / trophies their strips became more and more prevalent around town too.

Spot on mate.

emerald green
16-03-2015, 07:10 PM
Spot on mate.

Cheers Scouse. :aok:

DH1875
16-03-2015, 07:58 PM
What about the guy's who travel from Aberdeen, Dundee or Glasgow to watch Hibs in the big games. Can hardly call them glory hunters. If they were, would they not be heading to see the sheep, Utd or celtic :confused:.

I live in Glasgow and work every saturday. I have two young kids with whom time is precious as I work away quite a lot and as said, every saturday. Had a ST for ER and went home and away every week when I was younger. If I could be at ER every Saturday then I would. As things stand, I try to make all the big games and will be at ER on Sunday. If all this makes me a glory hunter then fair do's. One things for sure, IF we make the playoff final and/or the cup final I'll be on here on the look out for a ticket. And here's the thing. Sure the cup final is a Saturday but I can take it off as a days holiday. I can't do that every weekend though and thats why I'll be at hampden and not ER on a saturday.

ALF TUPPER
16-03-2015, 08:35 PM
The Glory Days might just be starting to happen. Get yourselves down to Easter Road folks :aok:

Aldo
16-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Off to ER on Sunday in an attempt to get some Glory Hunter sorry loyalty points...... To little waaaaayyyy too late!! ;-)

Hermit Crab
16-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Off to ER on Sunday in an attempt to get some Glory Hunter sorry loyalty points...... To little waaaaayyyy too late!! ;-)

You don't need to go to the game to get points. Just buy the tickets ;)

SaudiHibby
17-03-2015, 05:17 AM
Whatever you do don't be so sensitive as to stop flying business class, buying rolex's or enjoying hospitality ;-)

Okay.

--------
17-03-2015, 01:58 PM

:agree: If I was a glory hunter I wouldn't have opted for Hibs all those years ago.

Nor would I still be around.

hibee-boys
17-03-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't think any hibs supporter can be categorised as a 'Glory Hunter'. Times and habits have changed, yes I'd like to see more numbers at the games as I feel that Alan Stubbs and the current team deserve our support. However, in these times in particular, I dont think we should be doing anything other than embracing (not literally!) any supporters showing up, even the so called 'Glory Hunters'.

DH1875
16-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Was at maryhill sports centre in Glasgow last night. Was a large group of kids in the hall playing football and they were almost all in Real Madrid or Barcelona kits. A couple of them were in Celtic kits but what really took my notice was the wee glory hunter running about in a Hibs kit (thumbs up smiley if I could do it on the phone). Total class :)

Forza Fred
16-06-2015, 08:11 AM
I come back for the odd cup final, so I guess I'm a Glory Hunter.

Obviously a very inept one.

Bad Martini
16-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I've been hunting for glory with Hibs since the mid noughties and since the Skol Cup before it and indeed, I'm sure we all want some glory no? Or do some folk like being perenially unhappy and moaning? As someone noted, it's physically not possible to be a Hibs fan and be a glory hunter unless someone has a crystal ball and is about to tell us some rich ******* is about to drop hundreds of millions into our transfer kitty.

Dinny be stupid.

Nobody follows Hibs for the glory. FFS :rolleyes:

We do it cause it's the right thing to do. And, because we dont like drinking from puddles and our eyes are properly spaced apart.

Nuff said.

ENDOF

Bostonhibby
16-06-2015, 11:44 AM
I've been hunting for glory with Hibs since the mid noughties and since the Skol Cup before it and indeed, I'm sure we all want some glory no? Or do some folk like being perenially unhappy and moaning? As someone noted, it's physically not possible to be a Hibs fan and be a glory hunter unless someone has a crystal ball and is about to tell us some rich ******* is about to drop hundreds of millions into our transfer kitty.

Dinny be stupid.

Nobody follows Hibs for the glory. FFS :rolleyes:

We do it cause it's the right thing to do. And, because we dont like drinking from puddles and our eyes are properly spaced apart.

Nuff said.

ENDOF
Mind and gives a shout if you find any, I don't want to miss it.

I don't have a season ticket and boy do the likes of us get some stick if we want to join the scramble for the rare big match tickets.

I hate the term. I regard myself as a being a reverse glory "Hunter" as I support Hibernian. And because I have a guilty conscience I always pay at least the value of three season tickets to the club one way or the other every season as well as paying for the games I can make.

Will still be a glory hunter to some when I try and fail to get an ordinary price ticket for a final.

FranckSuzy
16-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Mind and gives a shout if you find any, I don't want to miss it.

I don't have a season ticket and boy do the likes of us get some stick if we want to join the scramble for the rare big match tickets.

I hate the term. I regard myself as a being a reverse glory "Hunter" as I support Hibernian. And because I have a guilty conscience I always pay at least the value of three season tickets to the club one way or the other every season as well as paying for the games I can make.

Will still be a glory hunter to some when I try and fail to get an ordinary price ticket for a final.

I'm a season ticket holder and go to as many away games as I can but can't stand the term 'glory hunter'. I do dislike the fact though that when the team really needs the support, some fans are nowhere to be seen but the mearest sniff of a trip to Hampden and they're suddenly scrambling for tickets.

Someone like your goodself though gives to Hibs as you say, in many other ways, by being a member of a HSA branch, attending games when possible and not to mention, helping those less fortunate to attend as well. That's not a 'glory hunter', that's being a good, decent person AND Hibby :aok:

Haymaker
16-06-2015, 01:11 PM
Was at maryhill sports centre in Glasgow last night. Was a large group of kids in the hall playing football and they were almost all in Real Madrid or Barcelona kits. A couple of them were in Celtic kits but what really took my notice was the wee glory hunter running about in a Hibs kit (thumbs up smiley if I could do it on the phone). Total class :)

The amount of RM and Barca tops at the mini-league I coach is ridiculous. Out of 100+ kids I would say near 50% are in one of the two. Rest are mainly Chelsea, Man Citeh, Arsenal. And randomly a Derby fan.

sleeping giant
16-06-2015, 01:17 PM
The amount of RM and Barca tops at the mini-league I coach is ridiculous. Out of 100+ kids I would say near 50% are in one of the two. Rest are mainly Chelsea, Man Citeh, Arsenal. And randomly a Derby fan.
My boy went through soccer 7's etc with a few different strips. Madrid , Barca, Portugal , Spain , Hibs etc.
He didn't support any of them apart from Hibs.
Add to the fact that you can get these strips from EBay for £12 delivered , they are quite a cheap option for training and holidays .

I would get my laddie 5 different strips for holidays every year:greengrin

Just got my youngest the Holland Away kit .

Haymaker
16-06-2015, 01:36 PM
My boy went through soccer 7's etc with a few different strips. Madrid , Barca, Portugal , Spain , Hibs etc.
He didn't support any of them apart from Hibs.
Add to the fact that you can get these strips from EBay for £12 delivered , they are quite a cheap option for training and holidays .

I would get my laddie 5 different strips for holidays every year:greengrin

Just got my youngest the Holland Away kit .

:aok: I am just hoping they don't actually grow up supporting RM or Barca. And they should all support Palace as it is the local side! :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
16-06-2015, 02:12 PM
I'm a season ticket holder and go to as many away games as I can but can't stand the term 'glory hunter'. I do though dislike fact though that when the team really needs the support, some fans are nowhere to be seen but the mearest sniff of a trip to Hampden and they're suddenly scrambling for tickets.

Someone like your goodself though gives to Hibs as you say, in many other ways, by being a member of a HSA branch, attending games when possible and not to mention, helping those less fortunate to attend as well. That's not a 'glory hunter', that's being a good, decent person AND Hibby :aok:

Aw naw - you have put me on my place :greengrin There's quite a few like that who I am fortunate enough to know. I suppose it's about thinking before you label someone eh?!

I think its a real difficult one to have a go at some of the scramblers as well since who's to say they won't be inspired to spend a few more quid when we eventually win that final? For me its all about revenue to my club but I certainly support the idea that loyalty is rewarded first - the trick is to find additional ways to define loyalty - the journey has begun but there's a way to go.

Cheers S - off round the pub now in search of some glory.

FranckSuzy
16-06-2015, 02:57 PM
Aw naw - you have put me on my place :greengrin There's quite a few like that who I am fortunate enough to know. I suppose it's about thinking before you label someone eh?!

I think its a real difficult one to have a go at some of the scramblers as well since who's to say they won't be inspired to spend a few more quid when we eventually win that final? For me its all about revenue to my club but I certainly support the idea that loyalty is rewarded first - the trick is to find additional ways to define loyalty - the journey has begun but there's a way to go.

Cheers S - off round the pub now in search of some glory.

It wasn't intended to "put you in your place", it was a compliment :rolleyes: :greengrin

Re maybe folk spending more if/when we win a final (:pray:), that's a pretty risky business strategy, especially where Hibs are concerned :tee hee:

I mentioned it a Working Together meeting a while back about other ways to reward loyalty. IMHO, the folk who spend via the club store/Hibs TV/HSL/buying shares direct, etc deserve recognition too. Not at the expense of ST holders, I'd hasten to add, but some folk put as much cash into the club from overseas/other parts of the UK and yet, because they can't attend games as regularly as they'd like, they get nadda at present :aok:

Bostonhibby
16-06-2015, 03:02 PM
It wasn't intended to "put you in your place", it was a compliment :rolleyes: :greengrin

Re maybe folk spending more if/when we win a final (:pray:), that's a pretty risky business strategy, especially where Hibs are concerned :tee hee:

I mentioned it a Working Together meeting a while back about other ways to reward loyalty. IMHO, the folk who spend via the club store/Hibs TV/HSL/buying shares direct, etc deserve recognition too. Not at the expense of ST holders, I'd hasten to add, but some folk put as much cash into the club from overseas/other parts of the UK and yet, because they can't attend games as regularly as they'd like, they get nadda at present :aok:

Sorry S - I did see it that way! wee laugh backfired.!

FranckSuzy
16-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Sorry S - I did see it that way! wee laugh backfired.!

:greengrin

silverhibee
16-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Glory Hunter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0D33Hpcbs-Y

:faf: