PDA

View Full Version : Overhyping Sticky Buns Game

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2015, 01:08 PM
I feel that Hibs -both the club and fans- are doing this. Sunday is important but a bit of a phoney war. No disrespect to QOS or Falkirk, but I suspect we'll be battling the Sevco Stickies again over two legs in the play offs - that will be real deal.

Sunday is really just another game.

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 01:10 PM
I feel that Hibs -both the club and fans- are doing this. Sunday is important but a bit of a phoney war. No disrespect to QOS or Falkirk, but I suspect we'll be battling the Sevco Stickies again over two legs in the play offs - that will be real deal.

Simply put - a point is all we need.

WillowbraeHibby
15-03-2015, 01:11 PM
My own thoughts are that every game we play is important.... Not just Sevco. :flag::flag::flag: GGTTH

Alex Trager
15-03-2015, 01:12 PM
My own thoughts are that every game we play is important.... Not just Sevco. :flag::flag::flag: GGTTH

This is abundance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Emerald
15-03-2015, 01:13 PM

It's never just another game against that cheating lot, it's hopefully another reminder to them of just how low they've gone. 3 points and another drubbing I hope. But I know what you mean about the play offs!

Eyrie
15-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Overhyped? I appreciate that next Sunday won't settle anything for certain but it's still the most important remaining league game for both clubs.

A win for us makes it extremely likely that we will finish second, whilst a win for them not only narrows the gap but will give them momentum to catch us.

The eventual prize may only be second in this league, but that still means avoiding two extra games in the playoffs which is a massive advantage.

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how McCall approaches the game tactically. Both McCoist and McDowell were completely out-thought by Stubbs but I don't think McCall is quite so inept as either of them.

However, he only has a very short time in which to change the whole ethos of the team, so I can't see him turning it around in time for next weekend.

Waxy
15-03-2015, 01:29 PM
A win would make us massive favs to finish second.Never thought this would be just a few months ago.

Deansy
15-03-2015, 01:36 PM
I ALWAYS want to hammer these s*um but the point (as made) is the playoffs - if we do have to play them, then it won't only be them alone. They'll have the GFA giving them every help, and it wouldn't surprise me if Craig Thomson got at least one of the games !!

Stuarty27
15-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Huge game, need to win to keep the momentum going!!

Fingers crossed we get a good crowd

brog
15-03-2015, 01:42 PM

I agree in principle but fingers crossed we may have an extremely busy end of season. If finishing 2nd avoids us playing 2 games & possibly not playing Sevco at all then that would be a huge bonus.

O'Rourke3
15-03-2015, 01:46 PM
I think it'll be interesting to see how McCall approaches the game tactically. Both McCoist and McDowell were completely out-thought by Stubbs but I don't think McCall is quite so inept as either of them.

However, he only has a very short time in which to change the whole ethos of the team, so I can't see him turning it around in time for next weekend.

I think his game plan this week will be how to stop us playing. We are far too early a game for him since his team clearly lacks belief and confidence. He's proved in the past he can bring teams to ER and frustrate the hell out of us while also getting the boot in. I anticipate nothing less. I rarely offer any manager advice but I'd stick with the 4-4-2 diamond. Our midfielders move from position to position meaning their man marker will be taken away from where they thought they'd be battling it out. 2 defensive mids failed for them last time out so I think he'll go man marking. I can't believe he'd put out an attack minded team to let us worry about them Players like Allan and Fyvie look capable of winning their man to man battles so we should dominate them in the middle without the need to put an extra man in there.

Bostonhibby
15-03-2015, 01:48 PM
I ALWAYS want to hammer these s*um but the point (as made) is the playoffs - if we do have to play them, then it won't only be them alone. They'll have the GFA giving them every help, and it wouldn't surprise me if Craig Thomson got at least one of the games !!

:agree: So far they have never beaten us in a league game since their foundation and I think four in a row has a nice ring to it. At the end of the day they are an average to above average championship side and that's about it so a home win isn't an unreasonable expectation - it's not as if they are Falkirk or anyone like that after all.

Stewboy
15-03-2015, 01:50 PM
It's not, a win against them creates a decent gap however if Falkirk and Queens win (unless they play each other obviously) they will have hope to catch the the's

Onceinawhile
15-03-2015, 01:58 PM
We need to win, because if we only draw, it's likely to clinch the league for hearts.

rotherhamrob
15-03-2015, 02:19 PM

You do have a point, however if we win on Sunday it's highly likely that we'll finish second and who know who we'll then play as it's not guaranteed sevco will win their pkay off game

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 02:31 PM
I don't think this game can be overhyped. A win for Hibs takes a hell of a lot of pressure off us and loads it on to them, if they lose again they must start looking over their shoulder at a 3rd / 4th place which will all of a sudden not be a stick on. It also means we almost certainly avoid 2 extra games we can do without.

I don't think McCall is going to be daft enough to go gung ho in this game, if they try to take us on at football they will get another stuffing. This is going to be a battle with the Zombies putting it about and trying to disrupt us, while keeping it tight as they can at the back and hoping to get the breaks up front.

It may be a strange thing to say, but I could even see the positive of a draw or defeat in this game. I would have an extremely squeaky bum watching Hibs go into a play off against a team we have owned all season .... it has Hibs calamity written all over it.

greenlex
15-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Added spice is we might need to win to stop Hearts winning the league next weekend.

DH1875
15-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Dont think its overhyped at all. A win for us would be a massive result. Finishing 2nd is a big advantage over 3rd or 4th. I also wouldnt be so surprised that if we do get 2nd that the team we play for the playoff isnt newco. QOS or Falkirk could easily beat them.

Theres also the chance that should we beat them, they might not even make the playoffs and think, how funny would that be.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Next week is a massive game for us.

matty_f
15-03-2015, 03:10 PM
We need to finish second to give us the best possible chance of having a successful end to the season. Beating The Rangers on Sunday would be a huge step towards achieving that. It would mean they would have to win all their games in hand, then pick up more points than us over the last few games of the season. On current form, that's not going to happen for them.

Psychologically, four Hibs wins against The Rangers could prove to be massive in a potential play-off fixture against them. Going into that game knowing they haven't beat us in four attempts gives us a huge edge, especially if we score first in the ties.

That said, Cowdenbeath yesterday was just as important to our season, as Raith away the week after we play The Rangers will be.

Wins breed confidence, and the more confidence we have going into the business end of the season the better.

Thecat23
15-03-2015, 03:16 PM
Sunday IS massive. Yes we may end up playing The Rangers in the play off but I'd rather it be our first play off game. To many games including cup games would make it very difficult to win the cup and go up if we finished 3rd. Treat it with the respect it deserves imo.

AlbertK86
15-03-2015, 05:18 PM
It is massive if we clinch second so yep next week is massive.

I'll say it here and now the the rangers will come out to maim our top players.

It is the only option for them to disrupt our game and our season and to get a couple of our key players injured for a few weeks will suit them down to the ground

Sir David Gray
15-03-2015, 05:22 PM
It is massive if we clinch second so yep next week is massive.

I'll say it here and now the the rangers will come out to maim our top players.

It is the only option for them to disrupt our game and our season and to get a couple of our key players injured for a few weeks will suit them down to the ground

We might have tried that tactic too if they had any top players worth maiming.

AlbertK86
15-03-2015, 06:19 PM
We might have tried that tactic too if they had any top players worth maiming.

Lovin it

jacomo
15-03-2015, 07:45 PM
Overhyped? I appreciate that next Sunday won't settle anything for certain but it's still the most important remaining league game for both clubs.

A win for us makes it extremely likely that we will finish second, whilst a win for them not only narrows the gap but will give them momentum to catch us.

The eventual prize may only be second in this league, but that still means avoiding two extra games in the playoffs which is a massive advantage.

:agree:

Obvs the games get bigger as the days get longer but this us the next big test. I am sure our squad are desperate to rip them a new one.

gorgie greens
15-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Cant agree that its just another game,if we win again i think it will have them going in to a play off thinking that they cant beat us where we will be the opposite you cant buy confidence it comes through playing well and getting results,and i dont want them even having a shot against us

Stevie Reid
15-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Our only big games in this division are against Rangers and Hearts. Given that Sunday will play a huge part in deciding who finishes second, I don't think it's been overhyped at all.

truehibernian
15-03-2015, 07:52 PM
See on the newswires McCall saying Haris Vuckic is out injured 'likely for a few weeks' :aok:

Kato
15-03-2015, 08:29 PM
getintaethum

ancient hibee
15-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Losing the game would be taken as a signal that our dominance over them is waning and would give them a lift.We want to beat them so they continue to be desperate for points.

McCall has built his success on taking mainly ordinary players and turning them into good teams playing to a system.He's never had to cope with a group of bigtime charlies who think they are so far ahead of anyone in the league that they didn't even bother to get fit.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;4326230]See on the newswires McCall saying Haris Vuckic is out injured 'likely for a few weeks' :aok:[/QUOTE

I will believe it when I see the team line up next Sunday

Cod Boy
15-03-2015, 09:15 PM
He isnt very good anyway

DH1875
15-03-2015, 09:52 PM
He isnt very good anyway

Still their best player though.

Cod Boy
15-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Still their best player though.

Dosent take much lol

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2015, 10:13 PM
It is the biggest of the season so far and win could give us a huge edge for the play offs

Ronniekirk
15-03-2015, 10:37 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;4326230]See on the newswires McCall saying Haris Vuckic is out injured 'likely for a few weeks' :aok:[/QUOTE

I will believe it when I see the team line up next Sunday

Mind games already :confused:

Ronniekirk
15-03-2015, 10:41 PM
:agree: So far they have never beaten us in a league game since their foundation and I think four in a row has a nice ring to it. At the end of the day they are an average to above average championship side and that's about it so a home win isn't an unreasonable expectation - it's not as if they are Falkirk or anyone like that after all.

Not as nice a ring to it than Six in a Row

Hibernia&Alba
15-03-2015, 11:49 PM
It's nice to go into a game against them expecting a victory. I can't remember many precedents for this, but I fully expect a comfortable win next weekend, which would mean a great chance to finish second.

monktonharp
16-03-2015, 12:31 AM
I fully expect us to go for a win. does not mean I expect us to win. the huns have got to go for a win, and I don't think they have it in them, yet. Mc Call will be the man that can turn it round but cant see him doing that so soon. we have an abundance of midfield options which can do it for us and if the crowd turns out it will help.

mutley
16-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Looking at he fixtures for Saturday , QoS v Cowdenbeath , Falkirk v Hearts. Then Sunday Hibs v Rangers.
QoS win (quite likely) and we beat rangers (again quite likely ) that would give us another 3 point breathing space and put QoS 1 point behind Rangers . IF Falkirk could get a result (fairly unlikely the way hearts squeeze out results) Falkirk would be 2 points behind.
That's a lot of pressure for rangers. A hibs/QoS/ Falkirk win weekend could be disastrous for rangers, and a champagne weekend for me

Heedersnvolleys
16-03-2015, 10:27 AM
I think it's a massive game as I think getting 2nd would be a great advantage. More so due to the fact I have much more confidence in our management team that they would use the extra time off to prepare our team to give them the best possible chance to win the play-off games.

HiBremian
16-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Looking at he fixtures for Saturday , QoS v Cowdenbeath , Falkirk v Hearts. Then Sunday Hibs v Rangers.
QoS win (quite likely) and we beat rangers (again quite likely ) that would give us another 3 point breathing space and put QoS 1 point behind Rangers . IF Falkirk could get a result (fairly unlikely the way hearts squeeze out results) Falkirk would be 2 points behind.
That's a lot of pressure for rangers. A hibs/QoS/ Falkirk win weekend could be disastrous for rangers, and a champagne weekend for me

In anorak mode :greengrin

Just crunched some figures on that basis, with Der Hun picking up a bit at the end of the month (generous), getting a few wins including last game at the PBS, and a few draws including their home tie against them, with Queens and Bairns maintaining a good run-in, and us beating the tramps but drawing against Bairns and Queens. The result is Hibs on 73pts and Sevco, Queens and Bairns all on 64pts :cb

KeithTheHibby
16-03-2015, 02:09 PM

Huns play Alloa tomorrow night. Away from home mind you so hardly an easy game.

Keith_M
16-03-2015, 02:15 PM

Have they beaten Alloa this season?

EDIT: Just checked and they have 1 win, 2 draws and 1 defeat so far, in all competitions.

Billy Whizz
16-03-2015, 02:17 PM

A bit unfair on alloa, having to play on Saturday night, and again on Tuesday

Borderhibbie76
16-03-2015, 02:41 PM

Its a Bigot Brox mate

Northern Hibby
16-03-2015, 04:46 PM

So which team will McCall try and beat the 4 - 0 Attack and Destroy or 2 - 0 keep it tight at the back and punish them when we get the chance?

We have the Players & the manager to be able to do both if required :greengrin

The_Exile
16-03-2015, 04:56 PM
If McCall came to take the game to us, then that would suit our pace and movement through midfield, it would be suicide for him to come and leave holes behind his midfield whilst pushing from the off. I would expect a fairly tight affair during the first half, then the game opening out a wee bit during the second half, just hope our slow starts to the 2nd halves of matches doesn't strike in this one.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2015, 08:34 PM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1557879107802938

:greengrin

Jonnyboy
16-03-2015, 08:39 PM
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1557879107802938

:greengrin

:faf:

weonlywon6-2
16-03-2015, 09:38 PM
Hope we get a decent crowd on Sunday, the team deserve a good backing, after all we backed that clown Butcher in huge numbers at the end of last season

Sir David Gray
16-03-2015, 09:40 PM

They're at home to Alloa tomorrow.

Not that that makes much of a difference though!

sh00byd00
16-03-2015, 11:02 PM
We need to finish second to give us the best possible chance of having a successful end to the season. Beating The Rangers on Sunday would be a huge step towards achieving that. It would mean they would have to win all their games in hand, then pick up more points than us over the last few games of the season. On current form, that's not going to happen for them.

Psychologically, four Hibs wins against The Rangers could prove to be massive in a potential play-off fixture against them. Going into that game knowing they haven't beat us in four attempts gives us a huge edge, especially if we score first in the ties.

That said, Cowdenbeath yesterday was just as important to our season, as Raith away the week after we play The Rangers will be.

Wins breed confidence, and the more confidence we have going into the business end of the season the better.

We'll hammer then on Sunday to make it 4-in-a-row, we'll beat them in the first leg of any play off to make it 5-in-a-row, but they'll beat us and win on goal difference in the 2nd leg. It's the Hibs way. :greengrin