PDA

View Full Version : Safe Standing at Games

Stuarty27
15-03-2015, 07:38 AM
This may be a generation thing, I am 30 and most of my football memories are of sitting down watching football.

Since we have been relegated I have been to QOS x2, Alloa x2, Cowdenbeath x2 and stood and watched and I just don't see the love in for it.

I'd much rather watch Hibs in the nice comfy seats in the east. I came home last night and my legs were in bits!!

Not sure of the obsession for it tbh.

Oscar T Grouch
15-03-2015, 07:52 AM
See in the old days ER was packed and you didn't have to use yer legs, you just went wi the sway 😉

Scottie
15-03-2015, 08:00 AM
This may be a generation thing, I am 30 and most of my football memories are of sitting down watching football.

Since we have been relegated I have been to QOS x2, Alloa x2, Cowdenbeath x2 and stood and watched and I just don't see the love in for it.

I'd much rather watch Hibs in the nice comfy seats in the east. I came home last night and my legs were in bits!!

Poor wee soul having to stand up for 90 minutes and your legs are sore :wink:

Go back 20 years and the atmosphere was 100 times better because you weren't sitting on your hands. Mind you I don't miss having my legs pished on by by some pissed up man behind me these days. :aok:

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 08:04 AM
The phrase 'Big Girl's Blouse' spring so mind :wink:

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 08:07 AM
I like standing at a game and have enjoyed the likes of Alloa and Cowdenbeath this season but I can't get on the safe standing bandwagon.

The money for that would have to come from somewhere and if I had the choice between ripping seats out of ER and installing barriers or a 20 goal a season striker then it's a no brainer.

Waxy
15-03-2015, 08:18 AM

Not sure of the obsession for it tbh.We had to stand every match so i suppose our legs were stronger than the big girls poor wee legs these days.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 08:30 AM

Until you've experienced a game where it's packed and you're standing up in a great atmosphere, then you're not really going to get it. The away days this season don't compare to some of the real big games. I remember when we equalised in the League cup final against Rangers at Parkhead, I was near the back but by the time the celebrations finished I was at the front.

Hibs07p
15-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Aye, back in the day when men were men, unlike todays namby pamby lot. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 08:51 AM
The attraction of standing was that - say you were stuck next to a radge, or you wanted to move to get a better view of the game, or go and talk to some mates you met at the pie stand, you could.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 08:55 AM

Man up! My 12 year old stood for 90 minutes, didn't complain once and still hasn't. She loved it!

Hibbyradge
15-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Sitting is for me too now, but I support the idea of a standing area as it would definitely improve the atmosphere.

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Sitting is for me too now, but I support the idea of a standing area as it would definitely improve the atmosphere.

And delay the inevitable tragedy that is coming if people continue to stand in seated areas. There are no crush barriers and it's a matter of time till there is a big fall somewhere.

Hibbyradge
15-03-2015, 09:23 AM
And delay the inevitable tragedy that is coming if people continue to stand in seated areas. There are no crush barriers and it's a matter of time till there is a big fall somewhere.

Good point.

jacomo
15-03-2015, 09:44 AM
I like standing at a game and have enjoyed the likes of Alloa and Cowdenbeath this season but I can't get on the safe standing bandwagon.

The money for that would have to come from somewhere and if I had the choice between ripping seats out of ER and installing barriers or a 20 goal a season striker then it's a no brainer.

But what if a standing area increases attendance? ER is rarely full - a safe standing area could put some of that spare capacity to good use. Hardly a 'no brainer' at all.

Scottie
15-03-2015, 09:46 AM
There are no crush barriers and it's a matter of time till there is a big fall somewhere.

Like this Hearts gimp :greengrin

https://youtu.be/maxCFZgcgfM

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 09:46 AM
But what if a standing area increases attendance? ER is rarely full - a safe standing area could put some of that spare capacity to good use. Hardly a 'no brainer' at all.

Not against standing. But average attendances increased when all seated stadia were introduced.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 09:48 AM

Are there really people refusing to attend games because they can't stand?

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2015, 09:57 AM

Whats your view on the folk that stand in section 43, should they be made to sit down? I personally think they should be moved to behind the goal in the FF.

I have seen us have a full stand at Kilmarnock and tynecastle where everyone stand, i have also seen us wildly celebrate goals in those stadiums without any tragedies.

As long as there are only the correct amount of fans in each area, the days of overcrowding and folk being squashed together are over.

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Whats your view on the folk that stand in section 43, should they be made to sit down? I personally think they should be moved to behind the goal in the FF.

I have seen us have a full stand at Kilmarnock and tynecastle where everyone stand, i have also seen us wildly celebrate goals in those stadiums without any tragedies.

As long as there are only the correct amount of fans in each area, the days of overcrowding and folk being squashed together are over.

I think the lower tier in one of the other stands, should be a designated standing area, with proper crush barriers.

It doesn't sit easy with me people standing and jumping around in these steep stands. I do take your point that it hasn't been a problem so far.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 10:30 AM

Maybe be one or two but I doubt there's enough not attending to boost the attendance significantly.

I very much support the idea of safe standing areas at grounds. Would love to see the FFL converted to safe standing. I would get my season ticket in there if it was converted.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Not against standing. But average attendances increased when all seated stadia were introduced.

Take into account the skimming that was going on at the turnstiles. In the days before tickets etc.

sleeping giant
15-03-2015, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't think so.
It's just another excuse like Petrie and the food etc.

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2015, 10:47 AM

If you ever experienced the old east with standing or the main stand enclosure you would understand the wish to get it to return.
Safe standing in a section if the east or north has to be worth a trial.
Always made for a better atmosphere

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Take into account the skimming that was going on at the turnstiles. In the days before tickets etc.

It's probably a blatant lie*. But there is a story that a former chairman of Hibs had one turnstile where the proceeds went direct to him, and didn't count towards the attendance.

*it's not a lie, but I don't like to upset the dewy eyed youngsters who hold this man in reverence as if he was Jesus. He wasn't Jesus, he was just a fella.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 10:54 AM
It's probably a blatant lie*. But there is a story that a former chairman of Hibs had one turnstile where the proceeds went direct to him, and didn't count towards the attendance.

*it's not a lie, but I don't like to upset the dewy eyed youngsters who hold this man in reverence as if he was Jesus. He wasn't Jesus, he was just a fella.

:tee hee: I can believe that :agree:

Stuarty27
15-03-2015, 10:59 AM
Morning chaps, my legs are still tight as two coats of paint and I didn't enjoy the game anymore than I would sitting.

Albanian Hibs
15-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Haha what a sap. I am a 34 year old out of shape woman! And I love the standing. Gives the calf muscles a good work out.

Phil D. Rolls
15-03-2015, 11:06 AM
Morning chaps, my legs are still tight as two coats of paint and I didn't enjoy the game anymore than I would sitting.

You've had nearly 24 hours to think about this. I think it's fair play to call you a sap now.

What was the problem, were you not able to find a place for your tartan rug, or was it that you didn't know where to put your flask.

:na na:

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Haha what a sap. I am a 34 year old out of shape woman! And I love the standing. Gives the calf muscles a good work out.

Haha. That's him told. Quality! :faf:

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 11:08 AM
You've had nearly 24 hours to think about this. I think it's fair play to call you a sap now.

What was the problem, were you not able to find a place for your tartan rug, or was it that you didn't know where to put your flask.

:na na:

Plenty crush barriers to hang the rug over and put the flask on :agree:

hibby6270
15-03-2015, 11:15 AM
Until you've experienced a game where it's packed and you're standing up in a great atmosphere, then you're not really going to get it. The away days this season don't compare to some of the real big games. I remember when we equalised in the League cup final against Rangers at Parkhead, I was near the back but by the time the celebrations finished I was at the front.

Can you really call that a safe environment to watch football?

And before you think I'm a youngster who doesn't know anything else but sitting down, you're wrong. I'm in my 50s and we'll remember the days of standing.

Standing or seating doesn't create a great atmosphere. A big crowd and and a team doing the business on the pitch creates the atmosphere. Something we've been sadly lacking in recent years. When we do have big crowds watching, it's magic. I'll use 3 different examples where there was a great 'seated' atmosphere. 2 games where we won and even 1 game where we lost.

2007 League Cup Final - 38,000 seated Hibbies - atmosphere was the best I can recall recently.
2013 Scottish Cup Final - 20,000+ seated Hibbies - even though we were 3-0 down the fans that day were a credit to Hibs in the second half. Best losing atmosphere I've ever witnessed. Brought tears to my eyes even though we were well beaten on the day.
2014 New Year Derby - 17,000 seated Hibbies - brilliant game, brilliant result, great atmosphere.

There are definitely other games that others will recall but can you honestly say these games would have had better atmospheres if some had been standing? I doubt it.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 11:32 AM

And before you think I'm a youngster who doesn't know anything else but sitting down, you're wrong. I'm in my 50s and we'll remember the days of standing.

Standing or seating doesn't create a great atmosphere. A big crowd and and a team doing the business on the pitch creates the atmosphere. Something we've been sadly lacking in recent years. When we do have big crowds watching, it's magic. I'll use 3 different examples where there was a great 'seated' atmosphere. 2 games where we won and even 1 game where we lost.

2007 League Cup Final - 38,000 seated Hibbies - atmosphere was the best I can recall recently.
2013 Scottish Cup Final - 20,000+ seated Hibbies - even though we were 3-0 down the fans that day were a credit to Hibs in the second half. Best losing atmosphere I've ever witnessed. Brought tears to my eyes even though we were well beaten on the day.
2014 New Year Derby - 17,000 seated Hibbies - brilliant game, brilliant result, great atmosphere.

There are definitely other games that others will recall but can you honestly say these games would have had better atmospheres if some had been standing? I doubt it.
I think they would've been better. I've never been to a game that I've enjoyed more sitting down(or standing in a seated area) than the games I expirienced in the early days of going to the football.

marinello59
15-03-2015, 11:32 AM

Agreed, it's all about what happens on the park. I don't get the misty eyed nostalgia for the way grounds were in the 70s and 80s. A lot of them were total dumps.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 11:35 AM

That LC final was mental when we equalised, in fact I would say its the most insane goal celebration I've ever been part of. There must have been 20,000 Hibbies squashed into a terrace fit for 15,000. I don't think my feet touched the ground when we scored, that's what toothpaste must feel like when it gets squeezed oot the tube :greengrin

I'm getting too auld for standing, but IMO a proper standing area at ER isn't just desirable, its an utter necessity. FF lower. screw the once a year attenders who use the boxes, they are mostly empty at all but the big games anyway. Theres no doubt that 1,500 to 2,000 standing in that area will hugely improve the atmosphere .... a good atmosphere attracts fans.

I'm fed up of ER being like a morgue at most games and I feel really sorry for the poor folk in the East who are doing their best. The East is never gonna be all singing, all dancing apart from at big games. Give these folk a separate self contained part of the ground to call their own and watch their numbers grow and the atmosphere with them.

As I've said before, if the singers are in the FF the folk in the ends of the west and east will be more inclined to join in. In fact lately I've noticed that more and more the upper west have been trying to join in anyway.

Sorry for editing after folk have already quoted this.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 11:39 AM
Agreed, it's all about what happens on the park. I don't get the misty eyed nostalgia for the way grounds were in the 70s and 80s. A lot of them were total dumps.
It's not all about what happens on the park though is it? We could all watch what happens on the park from the comfort of our own home next week, but most won't. Standing has gone from the football(mostly) but I don't think it's getting all misty eyed to look back at how good some of the atmospheres were at those games.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 11:43 AM
That LC final was mental when we equalised, in fact I would say its the most insane goal celebration I've ever been part of. There must have been 20,000 Hibbies squashed into a terrace fit for 15,000. I don't think my feet touched the ground when we scored, that's what toothpaste must feel like when it gets squeezed oot the tube :greengrin

I'm getting too auld for standing, but IMO a proper standing area at ER isn't just desirable, its an utter necessity. FF lower. screw the once a year attenders who use the boxes, they are mostly empty at all but the big games anyway. Theres no doubt that 1,500 to 2,000 standing in that area will hugely improve the atmosphere .... a good atmosphere attracts fans.
:top marksI'm not sure I'd want to go to a standing area every week at Easter Road either, but I do think it would help the atmosphere

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2015, 11:51 AM

I'm fed up of ER being like a morgue at most games and I feel really sorry for the poor folk in the East who are doing their best. The East is never gonna be all singing, all dancing apart from at big games. Give these folk a separate self contained part of the ground to call their own and watch their numbers grow and the atmosphere with them.

Well said. :top marksThe ground is more than half empty EVERY week, making the bottom section of the FF would be a great start in getting a proper section where every like minded person who wants to stand and go a bit daft can.

Nobody who wants to sit would be annoyed because they couldn't see, personally i think it would grow and grow.

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2015, 12:05 PM

If you ever experienced the old east with standing or the main stand enclosure you would understand the wish to get it to return.
Safe standing in a section if the east or north has to be worth a trial.
Always made for a better atmosphere

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 12:07 PM
Again I'll ask where is the money for a standing area coming from?

Surely some long standing critics of the decision to redevelop the East aren't proposing diverting money away from the team and into infastructure?

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2015, 12:15 PM
Anybody who is 30 and can't stand up for 90 mins without having pains in their legs -seriously- is probably staring health problems in the face. Ones which aren't going to go away through sitting down more.

Sitting down isn't good for anybody - even people who do regular exercise. We have to move away from our sedentary culture, so I would support seated areas.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 12:17 PM

Surely some long standing critics of the decisiom to redevelop the East aren't proposing diverting money away from the team and into infastructure?

No money required PB .... apart from a big sign saying standing section.

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 12:19 PM

If you go by the example that everybody quotes, Germany, there are generally twice as many allowed in terraced areas as there are for when it's converted to seating. FF Lower has 2,000 seats so, going by this rule, we could have as many as 4,000 standing in that section... although I'd personally prefer it if they restricted it to much lower (e.g. 3k), to prevent over-crowding.

As I've said before, if the singers are in the FF the folk in the ends of the west and east will be more inclined to join in. In fact lately I've noticed that more and more the upper west have been trying to join in anyway.

I agree and think this would happen as well.

I also think we have to take into account PB's point about the money that it would cost, as it's not cheap to convert to terracing. Maybe if some really well-off fan wanted to make a one-off donation to the Club he loved :wink:

jacomo
15-03-2015, 12:20 PM

I think there are people who don't want to pay high prices for a flat atmosphere in a half full stadium, with the added hit of being shouted at by stewards if you dare stand up.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 12:20 PM
No money required PB .... apart from a big sign saying standing section.

So we're not really having a safe standing terracing then just an area of seats where people are allowed to stand?

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 12:22 PM
So we're not really having a safe standing terracing then just an area of seats where people are allowed to stand?

I'm a bit confused about that as well, as I thought the thread was entitled 'safe standing'.

:confused:

Waxy
15-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Not sure of the obsession for it tbh.Next time you stand at a match try wearing trainers instead of high heels?

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 12:54 PM

To begin with yes ... which is why it would remain a 2,000 capacity area, one seat = one standing place. If we ever get the disposable money we can look at rail seats & stuff then.

To my mind its not so much about standing, folk can do that anyway in the East so we know Hibs aren't averse to the idea. The argument is about where the standing area should be situated. The FF lower is safer because of the angle of the terrace being slightly less. There would be no conflict with those who want to sit. You put all your radges in one basket so to speak. The FF lower is much better situated to put focus on the activities of the ulras ( that word again ) which as I said will encourage the other stands to join in.

My experience of fitba fans is that they like to have a bit of their stadium known for its mentalness. It used to be the East at ER, but lets face it, that is no longer the case and isn't ever going to be now. Its time to create one and as far as I can see the FF lower is the obvious and only candidate.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Surely some long standing critics of the decision to redevelop the East aren't proposing diverting money away from the team and into infastructure?

I personally can't see the point in spending any money AT ALL on putting in those types of safe standing areas they have in other countries.

It's more of a designated place like the bottom tie of the FF, where anyone who wants to stand can, and if you go in that bit of the ground you can expect to have your view impaired now and again by a bit of how shall i say it, daftness?:greengrin

The ground is empty enough to try this in my opinion, it would not cost a penny to put into action and again in my opinion i can see it being a real success.

Albanian Hibs
15-03-2015, 01:41 PM
Next time you stand at a match try wearing trainers instead of high heels?

😂😂😂

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 02:31 PM

Do you even know how much it would cost?

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 02:37 PM
Do you even know how much it would cost?

To remove a whole tier of seats, fit in bolted up seats (required for European games) and full length rail barriers?

I've no idea, safe standing websites are unsuprisingly sparse on the details of these costs instead pointing to the extra fans you can fit in these areasas paying for it in the 'long term'. Fine if you're selling out your current available space every week. However at the moment any money that should be spent on the team but being diverted elsewhere is too much. If we went for an area where standing was 'tolerated' but was just a tier as it is now then I'd support it. Although that would bring it's own problems.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 02:44 PM
To remove a whole tier of seats, fit in bolted up seats (required for European games) and full length rail barriers?

I've no idea, safe standing websites are unsuprisingly sparse on the details of these costs instead pointing to the extra fans you can fit in these areasas paying for it in the 'long term'. Fine if you're selling out your current available space every week. However at the moment any money that should be spent on the team but being diverted elsewhere is too much. If we went for an area where standing was 'tolerated' but was just a tier as it is now then I'd support it. Although that would bring it's own problems.

It's something that should certainly be put forward by the fan reps to the board for discussion. If Hibs blow it out the water then that will be the end of it for now. I do think LD and co will listen then evaluate everything to see how much it would cost.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 02:48 PM

It would be interesting if someone could come up with a figure. Say for example it was 50k we could look at getting the funds together ourselves. Right now all we here is that it would cost too much.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 02:57 PM
It would be interesting if someone could come up with a figure. Say for example it was 50k we could look at getting the funds together ourselves. Right now all we here is that it would cost too much.

With a bit digging the best I can find re costs is that a safe standing seat costs about £84 as opposed to £30 for a standard seat used now. That's from a study ICT undertook into safe standing. That's £168K (or 2 players on £1.5K a week) just to buy 2000 spaces for the FF lower. Add in the labour costs and other additional costs and it starts to exscalate quite quickly.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 03:06 PM
With a bit digging the best I can find re costs is that a safe standing seat costs about £84 as opposed to £30 for a standard seat used now. That's from a study ICT undertook into safe standing. That's £168K (or 2 players on £1.5K a week) just to buy 2000 spaces for the FF lower. Add in the labour costs and other additional costs and it starts to exscalate quite quickly.
Why do we have to put a safe standing seat in? I know we wouldn't be able to use that section in European games, but would that be the end of the world? Is there a rule regarding safe standing areas that require these type of seats.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Why do we have to put a safe standing seat in? I know we wouldn't be able to use that section in European games, but would that be the end of the world? Is there a rule regarding safe standing areas that require these type of seats.

It would be a bit daft to have the section of the ground where a lot of those looking to create an atmosphere congregate closed for the biggest games would it not?

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 03:13 PM
It would be a bit daft to have the section of the ground where a lot of those looking to create an atmosphere congregate closed for the biggest games would it not?

My guess is those that are based in the standing section will continue to stand at bigger games regardless of the restrictions. It happens all over Europe at the moment.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 03:15 PM
It could be argued that spending a lot of money on something that would only be needed once or twice per decade would be daft. Obviously we would be hoping it was a yearly occurance and if it was then we'd probably have the money to pay for the safe standing seats.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 03:17 PM
My guess is those that are based in the standing section will continue to stand at bigger games regardless of the restrictions. It happens all over Europe at the moment.

Ype but if we went down the route of building a terrace without rail or fold away seats then they would be dispersed throughout the ground as UEFA rules would mean any terracing without seats couldn't be used.

The simplest solution would be for fans who want to stand to organise themselves and look to bulk buy tickets in a set area in an 'unofficial' agreement with the club.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Ype but if we went down the route of building a terrace without rail or fold away seats then they would be dispersed throughout the ground as UEFA rules would mean any terracing without seats couldn't be used.

The simplest solution would be for fans who want to stand to organise themselves and look to bulk buy tickets in a set area in an 'unofficial' agreement with the club.

Going round in circles now. You're not "allowed" to stand in a seated section and technically the club could be penalised for it, now I know I said they'd continue to stand at big games but how do you get a few thousand folk to sit down?

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 03:25 PM
Going round in circles now. You're not "allowed" to stand in a seated section and technically the club could be penalised for it, now I know I said they'd continue to stand at big games but how do you get a few thousand folk to sit down?

I think that's my point.

If the people who really want to stand buy a couple of thousand STs together (the actual number would be less than this initially imo) then there's nothing can be done to stop them.

Hermit Crab
15-03-2015, 03:32 PM
I think that's my point.

If the people who really want to stand buy a couple of thousand STs together (the actual number would be less than this initially imo) then there's nothing can be done to stop them.

No, except the powers that be could close that particular section of the ground for a period of time. I believe Man Utd were threatened with that a few years ago about fans standing at European games. Funny how liverpool consistenly got away with for years...

Seems like that has been relaxed now and every game you see at on the tele in the English divisions and scottish games involving Rangers, celtic, Hibs, hearts, dundee Utd and Aberdeen you see fans standing en mass. Especially away supports. Look at us at tynecastle or Ibrox for example. Nobody says anything so maybe it's getting tolerated more.

I'd still like to see hibs at least explore the option of it.

jacomo
15-03-2015, 04:03 PM

But what if does increase attendance? You see this purely as added costs without potential added revenue.

ER is an asset which is hardly ever used to capacity. Bring in a standing section, family section and make more use of the black seats (comfy section) and attendances might rise.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 04:10 PM
But what if does increase attendance? You see this purely as added costs without potential added revenue.

ER is an asset which is hardly ever used to capacity. Bring in a standing section, family section and make more use of the black seats (comfy section) and attendances might rise.

There's already a family section.

As I said previously I'm sceptical as to how many fans (about 7500 required over the course of a season to cover a cost of £168K btw) are refusing to attend games because they can't stand. In the list of strange reasons thay would be right up there.

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 04:17 PM

To be honest the top deck of the FF is an even better option than the lower. No problem with the boxes, about a 1,700 capacity which is about right and because the roof is closer to the fans it would be more like the experience of the old east. No doubt the folk in the lower FF would join in with the singing too. Force the current incumbents into the west upper or east & bobs yer uncle.

I'm all for it :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 04:27 PM
There's already a family section.

As I said previously I'm sceptical as to how many fans (about 7500 required over the course of a season to cover a cost of £168K btw) are refusing to attend games because they can't stand. In the list of strange reasons thay would be right up there.

I highly doubt there's anyone who doesn't go because they cant stand PB. But I do think that people ( specially youngsters ) would be encouraged to want to go to more games if the atmosphere was better, and especially if they could be part of the group making it better. That doesn't work in the wide open spaces of the east, but I bet it would in the FF lower or upper.

There's a reason that its more fun to be an away fan and if the experience could be replicated to some extent at home games it would benefit the fans and the team.

TheFamous1875
17-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Can't they just implement a small standing terrace in one of the corners to trial it? Surely that's not too problematic?

NAE NOOKIE
17-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Can't they just implement a small standing terrace in one of the corners to trial it? Surely that's not too problematic?

We have a 20,000 stadium and 10,000 crowds, we don't have to waste money on adding bits on to it.

Alfred E Newman
17-03-2015, 08:55 PM
Sitting is one of the main reasons fans moan about the cauld. Even in a small crowd it was easier to keep warm. The drink helped as well!!

hstn747
17-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Presumably as we are in the championship we could install a standing area if we wanted to. If it went OK then there would be a precident and could make it easier to have in spfl.

Hermit Crab
18-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Presumably as we are in the championship we could install a standing area if we wanted to. If it went OK then there would be a precident and could make it easier to have in spfl.

The club should certainly look into it. Especially if there's the prospect of luring fans back to matches.

StevieC
18-03-2015, 01:21 AM
Standing or seating doesn't create a great atmosphere.

To an extent, but the ability to choose where you stand/sit does make a difference.

When there was terracing you would bunch together with your mates, either from the pub or off the supporters bus you travelled on. You'd have a laugh and a joke together, sing a few songs, and jump about going mental if we scored a goal.

Designated seating killed the atmosphere, not the seating itself.

lucky
18-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Scottish football can not afford to waste money on safe standing areas. I could understand it if the grounds are packed every week but the majority are empty so why waste more money on ground development

green&left
18-03-2015, 08:11 AM
Scottish football can not afford to waste money on safe standing areas. I could understand it if the grounds are packed every week but the majority are empty so why waste more money on ground development

Says who?

Dundee Utd expressed an interest to install it as have Celtic.

The introduction of pre match, half time and post match pints could pay for it :party: :cb

CentreLine
18-03-2015, 08:28 AM
IMHO of the present Hibs board were to contemplate investing funds in creating a standing area rather than in the continued improvement of the squad there would be massive disaffection amongst the support. It has been a very hard few years getting the infrastructure of the club to where it is and we are now at a place where finding excuses to divert funds away from the playing side would simply be unacceptable. Maintaining what we have is fine but funding standing areas?......................... Not me and I remember fondly those days on un-segregated terraces. This is not the time.

Steve-O
18-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Whether we want to build it now or in 20 years is not the point, we should have that choice to make ourselves.

Steve-O
18-03-2015, 08:50 AM
We have a 20,000 stadium and 10,000 crowds, we don't have to waste money on adding bits on to it.

Exactly, we should take bits oot - some seats!

NAE NOOKIE
18-03-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm not trying to be funny or have a pop at other posters, but I'm a bit confused at folk posting "we cant afford it" or "this would be a waste of money"

We wouldn't have to spend any money apart from for a sign above the FF lower or upper turnstiles saying 'standing area'