PDA

View Full Version : Coin toss

Waxy
15-03-2015, 06:21 AM
Remember years ago? The ref would toss the coin and we'd all want Hibs to shoot up the slope first half. Youd have the choice if kick off or choose which way to shoot.
Now it seems the home side get to choose in every match.
When was the last game we played shooting towards the Dunbar end(south stand) in the second half?

H18sry
15-03-2015, 06:50 AM
Remember years ago? The ref would toss the coin and we'd all want Hibs to shoot up the slope first half. Youd have the choice if kick off or choose which way to shoot.
When was the last game we played shooting towards the Dunbar end(south stand) in the second half?
The Dunbar end was at the top of the slope :greengrin

LithgaeHibby
15-03-2015, 07:00 AM
Both teams tend to want to shoot towards their own fans in the second half. So whoever wins the toss we are virtually always "doon the slope" in the second half.

Phoenix
15-03-2015, 07:01 AM

:aok:

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 07:04 AM

Epic Fail!

:greengrin

Hibee87
15-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Epic Fail!

How has ge failed? Its a valid question, when DID we shoot towards the south stand in the second half last?

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 07:25 AM
How has ge failed? Its a valid question, when DID we shoot towards the south stand in the second half last?

Because he was alluding to how we used to choose to shoot down the slope in the 2nd half, which was towards the current FF (North) Stand.

Waxy
15-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Epic Fail!

:greengrinWhy?

Waxy
15-03-2015, 07:26 AM
The Dunbar end was at the top of the slope :greengrin
Never said it wasnt.

One Day
15-03-2015, 07:26 AM
Epic Fail!

In what way, am I missing something seems a valid question

Hibee87
15-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Think sone on here need to re-read tge op's post ;-)

The Baldmans Comb
15-03-2015, 07:31 AM
In what way, am I missing something seems a valid question

I agree a very valid question.

We cant win every coin toss which makes me think any coin toss is just for kick off and the home side now automatically get choice of ends.

Anyone know?

Waxy
15-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Because he was alluding to how we used to choose to shoot down the slope in the 2nd half, which was towards the current FF (North) Stand.
You need to read it again and again till you understand.

Jones28
15-03-2015, 07:39 AM

The last time I can remember was against ICT, the teams were set up ready to go and then the coin tosseant they switched ends. It was bizarre being back to front!

Carheenlea
15-03-2015, 07:41 AM
This is like the kind of trivial argument that starts in the pub and eventually escalates into trading blows with each other outside with nobody really sure exactly why!

Bearders
15-03-2015, 07:41 AM
The last time I can remember was against ICT, the teams were set up ready to go and then the coin tosseant they switched ends. It was bizarre being back to front!

IIRC over the years Dundee Utd have done same.

Mr White
15-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Celtic used to often call to play towards the south in the 1st half under martin oneill.

NadeAteMyLunch!
15-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Home to St Mirren last season was the last time I think. We were 0-3 down by half time! That might have had more to do with Butcher than the way we were shooting though

mutley
15-03-2015, 07:47 AM

Not sure if it was the same game but I remember that happening and it did look weird when they switched

Waxy
15-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Seems that the home team now gets the choice of which way to shoot, no matter the outcome of the coin toss. This never used to be the case.

Pretty Boy
15-03-2015, 08:00 AM

We cant win every coin toss which makes me think any coin toss is just for kick off and the home side now automatically get choice of ends.

Anyone know?

No coin toss is for the kick off.

The winner chooses what way they wish to shoot, the loser kicks off. See FIFAs Law 8.

I think the answer is simple, most teams want to shoot towards their own fans in the 2nd half. As an aside the last time we shot 'up the slope' in the 2nd half was against St Mirren last season. Goodwin won the toss and deliberately chose that to unsettle us and it worked because they humped us in the 1st half.

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 08:07 AM
This is like the kind of trivial argument that starts in the pub and eventually escalates into trading blows with each other outside with nobody really sure exactly why!

I don't like the tone of your comment! That's it, ootside!

:take that

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-03-2015, 08:21 AM
As much as "mind games", seems to a buzz word it seems strange that historically more teams would not get us playing downhill first to try to unsettle us.

lord bunberry
15-03-2015, 08:37 AM
Are you lookin at ma burd

Hibbyradge
15-03-2015, 09:06 AM
Epic Fail!

Epic fail. :wink:

Cropley10
15-03-2015, 09:26 AM
Law 8 - A coin is tossed and the team that wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the first half of the match.

So, most teams don't bother turning us round, if they've won the toss. As I recall Hearts & Old Rangers used to get us shooting in to them second half though.

weecounty hibby
15-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Alex Miller had us playing back to front for a while. Im sure that for a period he had us playing up the slope in the second half

sleeping giant
15-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Epic Fail!

Epic fail of a an epic fail
:faf:

NAE NOOKIE
15-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Funnily enough I mentioned this to my mate at the last home game. I think that with the slope gone its all about shooting towards your own fans in the 2nd half so winning the toss at ER aint such a big deal anymore.

Having said that, is there still a very slight incline towards the FF or is it my imagination :greengrin

Keith_M
15-03-2015, 12:24 PM

Alright, I admit it, my Epic Fail was an Epic Fail

givescotlandfreedom
16-03-2015, 12:43 AM
I remember reading a stat a couple of years ago showing we scored substantially more in front of the FF stand. Technically though there are other variables that come into it too.

Hibrandenburg
16-03-2015, 06:11 AM

Your epic fail is an Epic Fail. Check out the Epic Fail website.

http://www.epicfail.com/page/3/

jacomo
16-03-2015, 01:28 PM

Anyone know?

There was an EPL match this season where the visiting team (can't remember who) won the toss and made Liverpool play towards the Kop for the 1st half.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:10 PM
There was an EPL match this season where the visiting team (can't remember who) won the toss and made Liverpool play towards the Kop for the 1st half.

Who ever wins the toss can either choose which end or take the kick off hence the reason Liverpool were turned round when we lost the toss and then kicked off.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2015, 06:18 PM
Who ever wins the toss can either choose which end or take the kick off hence the reason Liverpool were turned round when we lost the toss and then kicked off.

Nope, whoever wind the toss can only choose which way they wish to shoot first. The loser always kicks off.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Nope, whoever wind the toss can only choose which way they wish to shoot first. The loser always kicks off.

Not according to the EPL rules I checked before posting.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Not according to the EPL rules I checked before posting.

FIFAs Law 8:

Before a kick off at the start of the match or extra time:

A coin is tossed and the team which wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the 1st half.

The other team takes the kick off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick off to start the 2nd half of the match.

In the 2nd half of the match the teams change ends and attack the opposite goal.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:32 PM
FIFAs Law 8:

Before a kick off at the start of the match or extra time:

A coin is tossed and the team which wins the toss decides which goal it will attack in the 1st half.

The other team takes the kick off to start the match.

The team that wins the toss takes the kick off to start the 2nd half of the match.

In the 2nd half of the match the teams change ends and attack the opposite goal.

Yes I have read that but then I read the rules printed by the EPL hence my post.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Yes I have read that but then I read the rules printed by the EPL hence my post.

I genuinely never knew individual leagues could have differing rules from FIFAs standard laws of the game. Got a link as I'd like a wee look. I'm a bit of an anorak about football rules.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:41 PM
I genuinely never knew individual leagues could have differing rules from FIFAs standard laws of the game. Got a link as I'd like a wee look. I'm a bit of an anorak about football rules.

Found it here http://www.premierleague.com/

Coin toss
The coin is tossed by the referee before kick-off, in the presence of the two captains. The away team captain will call either heads or tails, and whoever wins the toss can either choose to kick towards a certain end in the first half, or choose for their team to take the first kick-off. In cup matches, which sometimes go to penalties, there will be another coin toss with the two captains to determine at which end of the ground the penalty kicks will take place.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Found it here http://www.premierleague.com/

Coin toss
The coin is tossed by the referee before kick-off, in the presence of the two captains. The away team captain will call either heads or tails, and whoever wins the toss can either choose to kick towards a certain end in the first half, or choose for their team to take the first kick-off. In cup matches, which sometimes go to penalties, there will be another coin toss with the two captains to determine at which end of the ground the penalty kicks will take place.

Cheers.

I'm going to have a dig and see which rule the SPFL use.

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Cheers.

I'm going to have a dig and see which rule the SPFL use.

Seems strange that it differs to FIFA rules, I wonder how many others there are that differ.

Cropley10
17-03-2015, 05:07 AM

Are they Laws or Rules? :devil:

I actually think that Premier League site is wrong - I don't see how the EPL can ignore a FIFA Law when it's the FA's competition.

Sent from a phone

Future17
17-03-2015, 08:35 AM
Never played at a high level but every coin toss I remember taking part in, the winner would get the choice of kicking off or picking which end to attack in the first half. Doesn't mean things haven't changed as we're going back at least 5 years.

VivaHiberņa
17-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Seems strange that it differs to FIFA rules, I wonder how many others there are that differ.

On a similar theme, I mind Gerry Armstrong mentioning once that in La Liga a handball is an automatic booking. Really annoyed me that individual associations can just play around with the rules like that.

CropleyWasGod
17-03-2015, 12:03 PM

Substitutes.

wookie70
17-03-2015, 05:34 PM
The rules from EPL look pretty much the same to me barring specifying it is the away captain who calls.

Cropley10
19-03-2015, 06:42 AM
The rules from EPL look pretty much the same to me barring specifying it is the away captain who calls.

Yeah and that the captain who gets it right gets to chose the end & the other one kicks off, rather than having the choice of either

scoopyboy
19-03-2015, 07:50 AM
Substitutes.

Nah, you always have to take a player off when putting a substitute on.

Same the world over.:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
19-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Nah, you always have to take a player off when putting a substitute on.

Same the world over.:greengrin