PDA

View Full Version : Martin Boyle

Northernhibee
11-03-2015, 10:58 PM
He did well playing in an unfamiliar RWB position tonight - got some good balls across the face of goal. Credit to him, best performance in the green and white so far.

CallumLaidlaw
11-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Every time I see him, I'm reminded of Ivan

Stevie Reid
11-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Would be happy to retain him next season, regardless of the division we're in. A useful option.

Scottie
11-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Would be happy to retain him next season, regardless of the division we're in. A useful option.
:agree: With his pace he will always create options and chances.

Alan62
11-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Should have scored. He created some good chances but really has to be calm in front of goal.

NadeAteMyLunch!
11-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Every time I see him, I'm reminded of Ivan

Yup. Even down to the number 17 jersey.
He done well tonight. Could have had three decent assists if his teammates had got themselves into better positions in the box

Iain G
11-03-2015, 11:27 PM
:agree: With his pace he will always create options and chances.

I still don't think he (or we as a team) utilise that pace well enough, when he did go at players tonight he created chances, two or three very good balls across the box that our strikers should have been on the end of.

His finishing does let him down though as he had a couple of good chances to score tonight.

Pretty Boy
11-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Tbh I thought he was pretty wasteful early doors. Few slack passes and a few crosses to no one in particular. Had a cracking 20 or 25 minutes at the end of the 1st half then was totally anonymous 2nd half (far from the only one of course).

I was struggling to see why people on here where getting so excited about him during the game, I struggled to see why he got MOTM and I'm struggling to see why he should be singled out for praise now.

He was ok, even allowing for the position switch. He's got a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Ivan, 1st time around anyway. I don't dislike him, I think his pace is an interesting weapon but he's very, very raw.

Hermit Crab
11-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Jury's out on him still and also a wee bit on Djedje too. Good finish but like Boyle a bit wasteful. Poor passing and first touch at times.

Boyle has incredible pace. He would be best utilised playing on the shoulder of the centre half or left back ready to get on the end of balls in behind to square or look at shooting himself. Most defences in this league will struggle to keep up with him. Put that to good use.

Also he's suited to coming off the bench to run ragged a tired defence. Don't think he'd be in the starting 11 on my team sheet.

LaMotta
11-03-2015, 11:55 PM
Tbh I thought he was pretty wasteful early doors. Few slack passes and a few crosses to no one in particular. Had a cracking 20 or 25 minutes at the end of the 1st half then was totally anonymous 2nd half (far from the only one of course).

I was struggling to see why people on here where getting so excited about him during the game, I struggled to see why he got MOTM and I'm struggling to see why he should be singled out for praise now.

He was ok, even allowing for the position switch. He's got a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Ivan, 1st time around anyway. I don't dislike him, I think his pace is an interesting weapon but he's very, very raw.

Jury's out on him still and also a wee bit on Djedje too. Good finish but like Boyle a bit wasteful. Poor passing and first touch at times.

Boyle has incredible pace. He would be best utilised playing on the shoulder of the centre half or left back ready to get on the end of balls in behind to square or look at shooting himself. Most defences in this league will struggle to keep up with him. Put that to good use.

Also he's suited to coming off the bench to run ragged a tired defence. Don't think he'd be in the starting 11 on my team sheet.

Agree with both of these posts - quite like him, but surprised he was MOTM tonight.

portyhibernian
12-03-2015, 12:22 AM
I'm yet to be convinced by Boyle, reminds me a lot of Sproule, all pace and not much end product. That being said I do think his pace will hurt tired defences later in games so a good option to have coming off the bench.

Boyle89
12-03-2015, 12:34 AM
I've yet to see him 'live' yet but every game I've seen on telly or in the highlights he has had a few chances. Plus side is he is creating the chances or is in the right positions but he really needs to start putting them away.

The Harp Awakes
12-03-2015, 12:35 AM
Boyle was one of Hibs better players tonight, but not MOTM. Fyvie was best closely followed by Fontaine.

The swap of Harris for Boyle has worked for both Hibs and Dundee as the fresh start has helped each player. Wouldn't want the swap to be permanent though.

Godsahibby
12-03-2015, 07:08 AM
A couple of ok runs and crosses but very wasteful the rest of the time. Not even close to being mom

Danderhall Hibs
12-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Couple of cracking balls across the box that if Djedje had been switched on for we'd not have needed a last minute winner.

I agree with Callum - he reminds me of Ivan. Gets into positions others can't, his pace causes problems and can be completely hit or miss with the final ball.

Scouse Hibee
12-03-2015, 07:44 AM

Agree with all of this.

eastcoasthibby
12-03-2015, 07:48 AM
I like so many, see the potential with Martin Boyle, loses or gives away the ball far to frequently, this was shown throughout the game last night and previously. As other posters have noted he had a few cracking runs and crosses, but also wasted a few cracking gilt edged chances. I have been trying to think of what he did in the second half last night and had to ask people around me if i had heard right that he had been given MOTM !! one of a few bizarre MOTM awards in my view this season.

A bit to prove yet I think scoring a few goals with the creating chances would up his value, and during this business end of the season he really can give us something that wee bit something extra and special with his pace.

A few extra sessions at East Mains when others have gone home for him and Jason Cummings working on calming down a bit with their finishing, between them they could have had 5-6 goals and that's allowing for a 50% miss rate !

California-Hibs
12-03-2015, 07:51 AM
I love players like Martin Boyle who bring that 'unpredictable/something different' element about them!

He has brilliant pace and can beat a man no problem. I actually felt his final ball was decent last night too, just needed the strikers to be abit more tuned in. He creates a lot of opportunities for himself. Finishing could be abit better, but he's still managed to grab a few goals for us so far.

I'd be delighted if he managed to sign him.

Cameron1875
12-03-2015, 07:52 AM
He's p***. Not the standard of player for where we need to be.

He might do a job in stretching diddy teams in this league but imagine he'll go back to Dundee after loan is up.

California-Hibs
12-03-2015, 07:54 AM

He might do a job in stretching diddy teams in this league but imagine he'll go back to Dundee after loan is up.

He's far from p***.

Borderhibbie76
12-03-2015, 09:35 AM

Dearie me...p### he certainly is NOT...bit rough round the edges yes but that's uncalled for

CallumLaidlaw
12-03-2015, 09:54 AM
He's unpredictable, and has pace to burn. He will have poor games but then will have brilliant games. The amount of times he gave a player a 5-10 yard head start last night, and just ripped past them was crazy. He would do damage in the Prem too. In the top league, teams press higher - the likes of Livvy, Cowden, Alloa, sit very deep and dont leave much space for the likes of Boyle to get behind. You'd probably find he'd get behind the defence of Prem teams more regularly if used properly.

Andy74
12-03-2015, 10:05 AM

How I saw it too.

ancient hibee
12-03-2015, 11:49 AM
He's a trier but very limited.Ivan scored about 20 goals-Boyle will never do that.He was put through three times in the first half from good passes and did nothing.Because he's so fast he has more time than other players but he never looks up to see where everyone is in the box had he done so he would have seen that rather than always flash the ball in he could have done simple cut backs to unmarked players.Lack of composure is his biggest problem probably because he's so anxious to do well.We made very poor use of his pace in the second half-don't know whose fault that was but he should have been running Livi ragged by then.He wasn't helped by Watson running up to him with the ball before passing it instead of releasing it early.

CallumLaidlaw
12-03-2015, 11:59 AM
He's a trier but very limited.Ivan scored about 20 goals-Boyle will never do that.He was put through three times in the first half from good passes and did nothing.Because he's so fast he has more time than other players but he never looks up to see where everyone is in the box had he done so he would have seen that rather than always flash the ball in he could have done simple cut backs to unmarked players.Lack of composure is his biggest problem probably because he's so anxious to do well.We made very poor use of his pace in the second half-don't know whose fault that was but he should have been running Livi ragged by then.He wasn't helped by Watson running up to him with the ball before passing it instead of releasing it early.

Ivan scored 15 goals in 4 years at hibs. I reckon Boyle would beat that. Hes 3 years younger than Ivan was when he came to Hibs.

Heedersnvolleys
12-03-2015, 11:59 AM
I think we need to cut the guy a bit slack, was he not playing in the league below this one this time last year?

Northernhibee
12-03-2015, 12:03 PM

I can't help but feel that if we work on his finishing on the training pitch we'll have a very dangerous player.

Smartie
12-03-2015, 12:19 PM

Spot on imo.

When he had his purple patch, I don't think even the strikers were expecting him to beat his man and deliver such a good ball into the box each time which is why they ultimately came to nothing.

Fontaine was motm imo, head and shoulders above all the other players although Fyvie and Boyle both put in a decent shift. Nobody had a howler but the rest were a bit average. Cracking ball from Craig for the first ball though.

Kato
12-03-2015, 12:23 PM
I'm yet to be convinced by Boyle, reminds me a lot of Sproule, all pace and not much end product. That being said I do think his pace will hurt tired defences later in games so a good option to have coming off the bench.

Sproule had something like 18-19 assists in his first full season with Hibs. If that's "not much end product" in your book you are very hard to please.

Boyle needs a goal and/or few assists and he'll grow some confidence.

patlowe
12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
I was surprised to see him in that role last night. With a guy that's a bit unsure and inexperienced I think it's a tough ask playing in a position (wing back) that requires a lot of thinking - ie back to goal work and lots of interplay. I would rather see him as an impact winger/striker brought on later in games. However, when he did get the opportunity to get beyond their full back last night, he certainly looked dangerous.

chinaman
12-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Boyle was one of Hibs better players tonight, but not MOTM. Fyvie was best closely followed by Fontaine.

The swap of Harris for Boyle has worked for both Hibs and Dundee as the fresh start has helped each player. Wouldn't want the swap to be permanent though.agree !! A fitter more confident Alex harris would suit me too.

hibees 7062
12-03-2015, 08:54 PM
He's getting released from Dundee

Northernhibee
12-03-2015, 08:58 PM
He's getting released from Dundee

Would take him - there's a player in there.

HiBremian
12-03-2015, 09:07 PM
Bring him off the bench when we play the Huns. When he scores a hat-trick we'll all be converted ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
12-03-2015, 10:51 PM
If we don't win the play offs and go up then I would be more than happy to keep Boyle for this level. But if we do go up I would imagine we would need to look at someone else. I still though wouldn't be too disheartened by his signing as I think his pace is an asset.

hibees 7062
12-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Would take him - there's a player in there.

Defo , only 21

Scott Allan Key
12-03-2015, 11:33 PM
I really hope he can develop composure as a player because without that trait he will be known for frustration rather than incisiveness. He also needs to build up understanding with his teammates of where he will put ball after he beats his man. He had a simple pass to DjeDje in 2nd half for a tap in but blasted it through air without thought. Perhaps a consistent aeriel threat like Farid could help his younger teammate?