PDA

View Full Version : Stevenson - Fontaine - Hanlon - Gray

KWJ
11-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Could these guys be our back 4 for the next 4-5 years?

In my book they have the professionalism, dedication and ability to take us to where we can expect Hibs to be and perhaps even further. It's a back four of captains.

Stevenson & Fontaine are out of contract at the end of this season while Hanlon & Gray have one more year. All of them are in the twenties and at or coming into their prime, if we could get them all signed up to 2018 or 2019 then that's a huge part of our team solidified for the future to build ahead of.

Having Jordan Forster waiting in the wings is no bad thing either.

Auckland Hibs
11-03-2015, 06:17 AM
Could these guys be our back 4 for the next 4-5 years?

In my book they have the professionalism, dedication and ability to take us to where we can expect Hibs to be and perhaps even further. It's a back four of captains.

Stevenson & Fontaine are out of contract at the end of this season while Hanlon & Gray have one more year. All of them are in the twenties and at or coming into their prime, if we could get them all signed up to 2018 or 2019 then that's a huge part of our team solidified for the future to build ahead of.

Having Jordan Forster waiting in the wings is no bad thing either.

Pretty solid back line IMO - got a buddy who's a Bristol City Fan who still raves about Fontaine, he's been a great signing.

Who's the weak link?

Stuarty27
11-03-2015, 06:34 AM
I have just decided I have a major man crush on Liam Fontaine

What a player

gorgie greens
11-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Pretty solid back line IMO - got a buddy who's a Bristol City Fan who still raves about Fontaine, he's been a great signing.

Who's the weak link?
Thought the main reason he was left out of the Bristol City team was that the fans had turned on him after a major loss of form, their loss our gain,he has been a pillar for us and really hope they can sort some deal to keep him here for longer,think i read somewhere that his family are still down south.
Petrie get it sorted,move your ass out of your house and let the Fontaine's move in for the next 4 years :greengrin

Auckland Hibs
11-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Thought the main reason he was left out of the Bristol City team was that the fans had turned on him after a major loss of form, their loss our gain,he has been a pillar for us and really hope they can sort some deal to keep him here for longer,think i read somewhere that his family are still down south.
Petrie get it sorted,move your ass out of your house and let the Fontaine's move in for the next 4 years :greengrin

I think his loss of form coincided with an injury - also, the whole club was in a bit of a downturn around the same period. Their loss our gain :aok:

KeithTheHibby
11-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Did Fontaine not sign a 2 year deal?

KWJ
11-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Did Fontaine not sign a 2 year deal?

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4763 One year.

That article states that LF came in at the time Michael Nelson left, surely one of the best bits of business in the past few years!

woodythehibee
11-03-2015, 08:33 AM
4 clean sheets in a row! If we keep another one tonight then it's the longest streak since 1991. Don't forget Keith Watson too. If we go up there is a good chance we could keep him

jodjam
11-03-2015, 08:56 AM
I like all 4 players but no team in Scotland can keep a back four together for that period of time.

EdinMike
11-03-2015, 09:39 AM
Here's a tougher hypothetical question. If you could only keep two till 2018. Which two ?!

I hurt my own brain with this question but Gray and Stevenson I think for me.

southfieldhibby
11-03-2015, 09:57 AM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/4763 One year.

That article states that LF came in at the time Michael Nelson left, surely one of the best bits of business in the past few years!

Same day, think it was a Monday? We had a game that night and he played, looked dreadful iirc?

But what a signing, possibly the best centre back I've seen at Hibs since, well, I dunno?

woodythehibee
11-03-2015, 10:32 AM
Same day, think it was a Monday? We had a game that night and he played, looked dreadful iirc?

But what a signing, possibly the best centre back I've seen at Hibs since, well, I dunno?

Dumbarton at home in the cup, 3-2 late dramatic win. :agree:

hibee-boys
11-03-2015, 10:50 AM
Here's a tougher hypothetical question. If you could only keep two till 2018. Which two ?!

I think all four have played great together but given the choice, my priority would be to tie up Fontaine and Gray. I think that Hanlon and Lewis have improved greatly under Stubbs, particularly Lewis. However, if we're up against better opposition next year I feel these are the 2 we could improve upon. (Sorry Lewis!)

Leith_Hibee
11-03-2015, 10:56 AM
I have just decided I have a major man crush on Liam Fontaine

What a player

His missus is amazing too...I have a crush on them both!!

heretoday
11-03-2015, 12:54 PM
They seem to be doing well at the moment but having been a Hibby for many years I'm never entirely convinced by our defence. Even the Tornadoes were prone to some farcical mix-ups.

It's the old story. If these guys do well they'll be the target for richer clubs and we'll be back to square one again. Enjoy them while we can.

Speedy
11-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Fontaine +1. He's strolled every game I've seen recently. Superb player (by Scottish football standards).

offshorehibby
11-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Fontaine and Watson at the heart of the defence next season.

hibs4life
11-03-2015, 01:41 PM
All 4 mentioned have indeed done very well for us this season and, if we go up, could perhaps also do very well in the Premiership.
However, without wanting to put a negative slant on proceedings, we do need to bear in mind and caveat our praise for them by reminding ourselves, that the standard of opposition will improve with a promotion and their performance would then be tested more rigorously. I reckon that they would be fine against most Scottish opposition.
I suspect though that Mr Stubbs and his coaching staff already have a good idea who could continue to perform adequately against 'better' teams each week and will be preparing to offer extensions to existing contracts or will already looking elsewhere.

I have to admit to being underwhelmed by what I saw of Liam Fontaine in his first few games for us but since then, I've been impressed by what he has contributed to the team. With Keith Watson and Jordan Forster also available for defensive positions we seem quite well served at the moment in this area.
Given Alan Stubbs' signing record to date, I'm hoping that if there are any changes to be made to defensive personnel, that they will only strengthen an area that already looks pretty sound...

Vault Boy
11-03-2015, 02:37 PM
The defensive displays recently have been domineering and they all deserve the praise they're receiving right now. I do hope that Jordon Forster remains in the team's plans though, an excellent young defender IMO and one of the better performers under Butcher's horrible reign, and during the slow start to this season before injury kept him out. If we are able to keep the current defenders and bring in a left back for competition (or promote a youngster like Crane) then I think we will be in a very solid position, no matter what league we are in.

snooky
11-03-2015, 03:12 PM
They seem to be doing well at the moment but having been a Hibby for many years I'm never entirely convinced by our defence. Even the Tornadoes were prone to some farcical mix-ups.

It's the old story. If these guys do well they'll be the target for richer clubs and we'll be back to square one again. Enjoy them while we can.

x2

hfc rd
11-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Would love to keep the four of them as the backline but they will certainly have a couple of clubs down south making enquiries if they continue playing as well as they have done all season.