PDA

View Full Version : Hibs or Falkirk could have a problem

Itsnoteasy
08-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Now here is a busy end to the season. If either or both get in play offs final & Scottish cup final. 28 May 1st leg of final play off 30th May Scottish Cup final 31st May 2nd leg of play off final. Also if they get booked in these games could it affect them playing in either or games. I guess the authorities will be hoping both teams don't make it to Scottish cup final

rcarter1
08-03-2015, 08:19 AM
Now here is a busy end to the season. If either or both get in play offs final & Scottish cup final. 28 May 1st leg of final play off 30th May Scottish Cup final 31st May 2nd leg of play off final. Also if they get booked in these games could it affect them playing in either or games. I guess the authorities will be hoping both teams don't make it to Scottish cup final

Could get pretty messy right enough. If nothing else, we may have an extremely eventful end of season.. :flag:

Bostonhibby
08-03-2015, 08:28 AM
I know celtc or the rangers aren't involved but a wee extension of the season might be an option?

Radium
08-03-2015, 08:32 AM
Being suggested on the radio yesterday that this may cause a problem for players going out of contract [extending the season] - presuming that those out of contract will be free as of 30th May

Eyrie
08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

The draw for the semis is this afternoon, so if we get Falkirk then there will be plenty of time to plan for one of us being in the final.

woodythehibee
08-03-2015, 08:33 AM
Being suggested on the radio yesterday that this may cause a problem for players going out of contract [extending the season] - presuming that those out of contract will be free as of 30th May
Perhaps loan players too?

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-03-2015, 08:34 AM

Well spotted, surprised its not been mentioned before. ;-)

Hermit Crab
08-03-2015, 08:36 AM
Well spotted, surprised its not been mentioned before. ;-)

:tee hee:

Mikey
08-03-2015, 09:38 AM
The draw for the semis is this afternoon, so if we get Falkirk then there will be plenty of time to plan for one of us being in the final.

If we get through then the hand picked draw would be Celtic v Hibs and ICT v Falkirk.

They would never hand pick the draw though.............

Allant1981
08-03-2015, 09:40 AM
If we get through then the hand picked draw would be Celtic v Hibs and ICT v Falkirk.

Why? There would be more interest in a hibs v celtic final

hibbytam
08-03-2015, 09:41 AM

Would it? I would think that those in charge would want a sell out final. The only way that would happen out of those teams would be if we got there.

B

Mikey
08-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Why? There would be more interest in a hibs v celtic final

To allow the play offs to go ahead as planned.

Allant1981
08-03-2015, 10:00 AM
To allow the play offs to go ahead as planned.

I think they would rather have a final with us and celtic than worry about the play offs

scuttle
08-03-2015, 10:16 AM

The biggest problem would be if we are involved in neither

Phil D. Rolls
08-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Nice problem to have, mind you.

Jack Hackett
08-03-2015, 10:39 AM
Would it? I would think that those in charge would want a sell out final. The only way that would happen out of those teams would be if we got there.

B

It would be a sell out final whoever Celtic, should they get there, are playing. Hampden isn't exactly a huge stadium

oneone73
08-03-2015, 11:00 AM
It would be a sell out final whoever Celtic, should they get there, are playing. Hampden isn't exactly a huge stadium

It will be a sell-out final whoever Hibs are playing

Jack Hackett
08-03-2015, 11:16 AM
It will be a sell-out final whoever Hibs are playing

This is also a true statement :greengrin

Eyrie
08-03-2015, 02:58 PM

There is probably one ball in the microwave and another in the freezer in advance of the draw.

ekhibee
08-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Preston was going on about this yesterday on Heartsound. One of the players might be Loy who's signed a pre-contract with Dundee I think. It might make him ineligible if they were to get to the final, but they also said his contract could be extended until after the cup final if Falkirk are in it.

Sean1875
09-03-2015, 12:42 AM
the second leg of the playoff final is the day after the SC final? no way they'd make us play both matches in two days if were lucky enough to be involved in both. would definitely be able to find a way to extend the season I'm sure

BroxburnHibee
09-03-2015, 05:33 AM
So with Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the 1st division no one at the SFA thought it possible there may be a problem.

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2015, 06:00 AM
So with Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the 1st division no one at the SFA thought it possible there may be a problem.

As well as that they didn't consider that a team in the lower half of the spl could've had a cup run (like we did twice in recent years, so hardly unrealistic).

Incredible bit of planning. One extra round of midweek fixtures would've solved this.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2015, 08:33 AM
They need to rearrange this now, as either Hibs or Falkirk will be playing on 30th May, and one of them could also be due to play on 31st May. If they wait to see who gets into the champioship play off final, they will have no time to rearrange.
Simplest thing to do would be to end the premiership bottom 6 on the 16th May, one week earlier, play round 37 matches the midweek before.
Then they need to arrange the 3rd v 4th a few days earlier, and subsequent games.
Dead easy with a bit of planning.

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2015, 08:35 AM
They need to rearrange this now, as either Hibs or Falkirk will be playing on 30th May, and one of them could also be due to play on 31st May. If they wait to see who gets into the champioship play off final, they will have no time to rearrange.
Simplest thing to do would be to end the premiership bottom 6 on the 16th May, one week earlier, play round 35 matches the midweek before.
Then they need to arrange the 3rd v 4th a few days earlier, and subsequent games.
Dead easy with a bit of planning.

Yip and should've been done before announcing the fixtures in the first place.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2015, 08:42 AM
Yip and should've been done before announcing the fixtures in the first place.

I'd edited my post, meant round 37 matches

Hibbyradge
09-03-2015, 08:48 AM
Nothing was done to help Rangers in 2008 when they had a huge backlog of fixtures and were in the UEFA Cup Final.

I can't imagine that the SPFL and/or the SFA will do anything about this.

It just makes our chances of promotion even more slender.

Danderhall Hibs
09-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Nothing was done to help Rangers in 2008 when they had a huge backlog of fixtures and were in the UEFA Cup Final.

Did they have to play Saturday and Sunday? Or did they just want a Saturday off prior to a Wednesday final?

Billy Whizz
09-03-2015, 09:14 AM

Rangers wanted to extend the season if my memory serves me correctly. Hibs probably don't want that, as the players will need more than a couple of weeks break before preseason starts

Hibbyradge
09-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Did they have to play Saturday and Sunday? Or did they just want a Saturday off prior to a Wednesday final?

They didn't have 2 consequitive matches, but they played 4 games in 8 days.

EH6 Hibby
09-03-2015, 09:30 AM
They didn't have 2 consequitive matches, but they played 4 games in 8 days.

Their backlog was due to cancelled games though, not because of inefficient fixture planning.

Hibbyradge
09-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Their backlog was due to cancelled games though, not because of inefficient fixture planning.

Yes, partly it was, and the inefficient fixture planning for the UEFA Cup final. :wink:

They won't know who the play off finalists are until May 23. I can't imagine Rangers or Falkirk agreeing to change the dates to help Hibs.

And I doubt Hibs would agree to extend the season should Falkirk prevail in the semi-final.

Irish Dave
09-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I have the solution. We win the cup on the Saturday and win promotion on the Sunday. Easy.

Bristolhibby
09-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Yes, partly it was, and the inefficient fixture planning for the UEFA Cup final. :wink:

They won't know who the play off finalists are until May 23. I can't imagine Rangers or Falkirk agreeing to change the dates to help Hibs.

And I doubt Hibs would agree to extend the season should Falkirk prevail in the semi-final.

Which is why this has to be sorted now, before any "gamesmanship" can be had. After the semi all bets are off, so our leaders in the game have to lead for a change.

As has been said before, an extra round of Premier mid weeks should do it, however imagine clubs missing out on a Saturday fixture to be replaced by a Tuesday night.

No easy fix. Extending the playoffs makes sense, but by then we are into June.

I get the impression that they are hoping one gets to the Final and neither gets to the playoff final.

Either way, I can see a few flights for myself in May/June.

J

Speedy
09-03-2015, 11:54 AM
I was reading yesterday that Celtic's replay has caused problems as well as they were due to play Dundee midweek (in a game that was rearranged to allow Celtic to play in a friendly).

Now that they are playing Dundee Utd there are no free slots for the Dundee game.

Edit: When I think about it, I'm pretty sure that's not exactly true but the friendlies have potentially caused some issues with available midweek slots.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2015, 12:11 PM
I was reading yesterday that Celtic's replay has caused problems as well as they were due to play Dundee midweek (in a game that was rearranged to allow Celtic to play in a friendly).

Now that they are playing Dundee Utd there are no free slots for the Dundee game.

Edit: When I think about it, I'm pretty sure that's not exactly true but the friendlies have potentially caused some issues with available midweek slots.

Thought Celtic were playing Dundee this Wednesday, and the replay the following week?

Ronniekirk
09-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Which is why this has to be sorted now, before any "gamesmanship" can be had. After the semi all bets are off, so our leaders in the game have to lead for a change.

As has been said before, an extra round of Premier mid weeks should do it, however imagine clubs missing out on a Saturday fixture to be replaced by a Tuesday night

No easy fix. Extending the playoffs makes sense, but by then we are into June.

I get the impression that they are hoping one gets to the Final and neither gets to the playoff final.

Either way, I can see a few flights for myself in May/June.

J

Rangers have already gone Public saying they will have Reps on all SFA committees as they need to lead Scottish Football out of its current Malaise due to Rangets absence
So don't see us getting any favours Petrie needs to make sure there is fairness applied although if others are right about players contracts ending and thatay disadvantage us if season extended , it does sound like a headache for someone to have to sort this out and appear to take the needs of all clubs involved into account

Bristolhibby
09-03-2015, 12:24 PM
TBF nobody expected a Championship team to be in the Final, let alone two that may also be in the playoff final.

Which looking back is madness when you consider Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers are all in the championship.

J

oneone73
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
TBF nobody expected a Championship team to be in the Final, let alone two that may also be in the playoff final.

Which looking back is madness when you consider Hibs, Hearts and The Rangers are all in the championship.

J
Or the team that finishes 11th,apparently. They got lucky there.

hibee_nation
09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
This will be sorted the old fashioned way, the ref will make sure Hibs/Falkirk do not win against the Huns, sorted.

JeMeSouviens
09-03-2015, 12:30 PM

One of which was postponed at their request to give them a free week before a european game.

... and the league season was extended, it finished on a Thursday instead of a Sunday. They wanted it extended even further to play the last game after the cup final.

... and <pedant> it was 4 games in 9 days. If you play 4 matches, the first on the 10th of the month and the last on the 18th, it's 9 days, not 8! </pedant>

Onion
09-03-2015, 05:46 PM
Sorry if already posted, but this from todays DR at least suggests a bit of common sense .....

Meanwhile, the SPFL have admitted they will need to reschedule the Premiership play-off final should either Hibs or Falkirk reach that stage as well as the Scottish Cup Final.

The two-legged clashes are scheduled for Thursday, May 28 and Sunday, May 31 - with the Final on Saturday, May 30.

But the SPFL will seek new dates in the event of a Championship side reaching the Hampden showdown.

A spokesman said: “In the event that either club progresses to both the Scottish Cup Final and the SPFL Premiership Play-off Final it will not be required to play on both May 30 and 31. An alternative schedule will be announced for the SPFL Premiership Play-off Final.”

RoYO!
09-03-2015, 06:11 PM
I have the solution. We win the cup on the Saturday and win promotion on the Sunday. Easy.

So we have the cup parade in the morning. Go to the promotion game. Win the promotion game. Promotion parade in the evening.

This planning stuff really is easy :thumbsup:

Skol
09-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Sorry if already posted, but this from todays DR at least suggests a bit of common sense .....

Meanwhile, the SPFL have admitted they will need to reschedule the Premiership play-off final should either Hibs or Falkirk reach that stage as well as the Scottish Cup Final.

The two-legged clashes are scheduled for Thursday, May 28 and Sunday, May 31 - with the Final on Saturday, May 30.

But the SPFL will seek new dates in the event of a Championship side reaching the Hampden showdown.

A spokesman said: “In the event that either club progresses to both the Scottish Cup Final and the SPFL Premiership Play-off Final it will not be required to play on both May 30 and 31. An alternative schedule will be announced for the SPFL Premiership Play-off Final.”

So we wont have to play on the 30th and 31st but might have to play on the 28th and 30th....then a few days after again

Mr White
09-03-2015, 07:01 PM
I wonder if they'd consider changing the play off final to a one off game at a neutral venue? Probably not.

Jack Hackett
09-03-2015, 07:08 PM
I wonder if they'd consider changing the play off final to a one off game at a neutral venue? Probably not.

After the last debacle, this would be my prefered option :agree: :greengrin

Ozyhibby
09-03-2015, 09:49 PM

Last thing we want. Over two legs I don't see us losing but a one off is always full of danger.

Mr White
09-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Last thing we want. Over two legs I don't see us losing but a one off is always full of danger.

Not sure about that tbh. Against any of the teams in the premiership bottom 6 we'd have a much bigger support and it would reduce the amount of games we'd have to play in a short space of time. Assuming we make the play off final I think it would be to our benefit over the likes of St Mirren or Ross County. It's irrelevant though really as it's not going to be changed to a one-off :greengrin

greenginger
09-03-2015, 10:59 PM
The SPFL won't go for a single game play-off final.

They take the gate money for the play-off games and use it to fund the parachute payments.

Green Reaper
09-03-2015, 11:22 PM

Wish last years play off had been 1 game