PDA

View Full Version : NHC Australian league

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-03-2015, 11:09 AM
Just turned on Melbourne victory v Perth glory on by sports.

I don't know much about Aussie league, but i started watching straight away - because there's a crowd and a cracking atmosphere.

Wonder what people would think if they flicked past a Scottish game on tv - empty stands and no atmosphere.

Makes me think, should hibs close say the top tiers of FF and West stands, and say the top third of the East to condense the crowd a bit and get some spectacle / atmosphere going?

NAE NOOKIE
07-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Not for me I'm afraid. When you start closing parts of your stadium you start giving up. The idea is to get more folk in, not constrict the stadium to make it look like you have a decent crowd. I remember when Juventus were in the 70,000 Delle Alpi with crowds of 20 to 30 thousand. They used to close whole sections and it just screamed failure.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 01:55 PM
Not for me I'm afraid. When you start closing parts of your stadium you start giving up. The idea is to get more folk in, not constrict the stadium to make it look like you have a decent crowd. I remember when Juventus were in the 70,000 Delle Alpi with crowds of 20 to 30 thousand. They used to close whole sections and it just screamed failure.

I agree, not for me either.

EdinMike
07-03-2015, 02:36 PM
I like my seat at the very back row of the East. Elements can't get to you as much, and the view is cracking.

Greencore
07-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Makes me think, should hibs close say the top tiers of FF and West stands, and say the top third of the East to condense the crowd a bit?

Or instead of driving fans away encourage them to come to games and let them sit where they want..............

Ozyhibby
07-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Barry Hearn said at the recent Hamden get together that it was crazy that we let the crowd spread out and that we should fill from the front to the back to make it look better on TV.
I trust he knows a thing or two about these things.

MSK
07-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Barry Hearn said at the recent Hamden get together that it was crazy that we let the crowd spread out and that we should fill from the front to the back to make it look better on TV.
I trust he knows a thing or two about these things.Aye ..that's all we have to worry about right enough ...making it look better on tv ...we could just paint the seats instead ..

The cameras panned in on the hearts fans v Cowdenbeath last week ..believe me ..not good viewing before the watershed !! :no way:

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 04:38 PM

I think from that comment he knows **** all about real football fans!

Ozyhibby
07-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I think from that comment he knows **** all about real football fans!

But seen as he can sell out 20,000 seater venues for a sport where you can't even see what's going on, I suspect he knows a bit about how to promote sport.

Iain G
07-03-2015, 05:16 PM

I don't know much about Aussie league, but i started watching straight away - because there's a crowd and a cracking atmosphere.

Wonder what people would think if they flicked past a Scottish game on tv - empty stands and no atmosphere.

Makes me think, should hibs close say the top tiers of FF and West stands, and say the top third of the East to condense the crowd a bit and get some spectacle / atmosphere going?

Of course a Victory game isn't a reflection on all A League games where there are struggles to fill a stadium.

linlithgowhibbie
07-03-2015, 05:16 PM
But seen as he can sell out 20,000 seater venues for a sport where you can't even see what's going on, I suspect he knows a bit about how to promote sport.

Does he know anything about sight lines or getting soaked by hail, rain sleet or snow in the front rows!!!

Ozyhibby
07-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Closing the top tier of the famous five for cat b games is not going to stop anyone who wants a good view from getting one.

MSK
07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
Closing the top tier of the famous five for cat b games is not going to stop anyone who wants a good view from getting one.Folk have season tickets for those areas though ...move them just so it looks good on tv ..aye ok ..:crazy:

Speedy
07-03-2015, 05:30 PM

I suggest we let people sit where they like so the game on the pitch looks better from where they're sitting.

HibeeHutch
07-03-2015, 05:50 PM
I actually think it's not a bad idea for less attended games. The Vancouver Whitecaps average attendance is just over 20,000 but they play in a 50,000 capacity stadium. The stadium has two tiers and they cover the top tier with tarp for all games and the atmosphere is great. You feel like you are in a more compact stadium. And they have the option of removing it for really big games if they want to.

There's no doubt that the tarp idea could be done quite effectively and creatively at Easter Road. The top tier of the two stands behind the goals for example - and perhaps several rows at the top of the east. You could also look at doing something similar to fill in those empty corners of the stadium all the way up. These are options that would improve the atmosphere for those category B and C games if you ask me.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 06:09 PM

No comparison in one off sporting events promoted to the hilt and regular lower league weekly football fixtures though.

ScottB
07-03-2015, 06:13 PM
I think it's a valid point, we've had a few threads recently of people wanting more money for televising our games, but if you were channel flicking, and stumbled across St Mirren v Inverness say, in a sparsely populated stadium playing on a pitch that will have likely seem better days at this time of year, how many would watch that didn't support either side? Never mind people in the rest of the UK.

It all depends what the game decides it's priority is; does it want to carry on as is, does it want to appeal more to TV, or maybe even consider moving away from TV altogether? The former might mean moving seating to make grounds appear fuller, perhaps summer football to fill empty schedules. The latter could be a return to 3pm kick offs and trying to drive up attendances.

Ozyhibby
07-03-2015, 06:18 PM
I think it's a valid point, we've had a few threads recently of people wanting more money for televising our games, but if you were channel flicking, and stumbled across St Mirren v Inverness say, in a sparsely populated stadium playing on a pitch that will have likely seem better days at this time of year, how many would watch that didn't support either side? Never mind people in the rest of the UK.

It all depends what the game decides it's priority is; does it want to carry on as is, does it want to appeal more to TV, or maybe even consider moving away from TV altogether? The former might mean moving seating to make grounds appear fuller, perhaps summer football to fill empty schedules. The latter could be a return to 3pm kick offs and trying to drive up attendances.

Or we could just carry on as we are, which seems popular on here and definitely is with SPFL.

MSK
07-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Or we could just carry on as we are, which seems popular on here and definitely is with SPFL.Or we could hire the Dundee bush for a few cat b games ..that should look good on tv ...14499

Mixu62
07-03-2015, 09:41 PM
Or (and I know it's been mentioned before) follow the German model and cut admission prices to an affordable level to get more through the gates. I'd be interested to see what portion of the average wage it cost to see football when I started going compared to now. I remember getting into ER for 1.50 and could afford it out of a paper Round.

Jonnyboy
07-03-2015, 09:48 PM

Undoubtedly, but once he puts pockets in each corner and has each player introduced featuring their choice of music, I'm out :greengrin

marinello59
07-03-2015, 09:49 PM

It's bad enough having kick off times messed up by TV without having those who actually go to games being told they can't sit in certain areas because it looks bad on the telly.

LaMotta
07-03-2015, 09:58 PM

Agree with that and its not just about it looking better on tv it would also create a better atmosphere for those at the game, and the Hibs players on the pitch.

marinello59
07-03-2015, 10:07 PM
Agree with that and its not just about it looking better on tv it would also create a better atmosphere for those at the game, and the Hibs players on the pitch.

How about those watching on telly go to the games instead and fill up the empty spaces?

Forza Fred
07-03-2015, 10:41 PM
How about those watching on telly go to the games instead and fill up the empty spaces?

Possibly slightly off topic, but from afar I am horrified at the cost it appears to be for a Dad taking his kids to a game

The kids are the full time supporters of the future and it's good if they get in the habit of attending.

I have long thought that for certain games where we know there will be a poor crowd, that we simply earmark a certain part of the ground where adults pay, but can bring their kids for free.

Can't be that hard or costly surely?

LaMotta
07-03-2015, 10:48 PM

When our games aren't on the telly the atmosphere is crap and fans are dispersed sparsely around the ground. Get fans closer together, generating atmosphere, encouraging singing and inspiring the players.

BrissieHibbie
08-03-2015, 12:36 AM
There are some fundamental differences between the Au setup and Scotland.

AU Population ~22m Scotland ~4.5m
A League teams 9 (+1 from NZ) Scottish teams ~40

A league ticket ~$15 (10 quid or less) ScoPrem about 20 quid
A-leage teams play in shared stadia (ie Suncorp 52,000 also used by Rugby union, rugby league, concerts etc = much better stadia + better pitches)

There's a passionate European-heritage fan base, espec in Sydney Brisbane, & Melbourne

The TV deals are decent, and they are developing the asian champions league, marquee signings help too (ie Del Piero)

Add in better weather, free public transport to games, a beer at the ground, no crowd trouble, no sectarian garbage and whats not to like.
I wouldn't hesitate to take wife/kids to a game here, but wouldn't think about taking them to Tynecastle, Hunbrox, or Parkhead

The standard has got a way to go, and I can never get as excited (or upset) about Brisbane as I do about Hibs. But they are going about things the right way and producing some decent talent. 'Soccer' is the most played sport among kids.

Until the dinosaurs at SFA/SPL/SPFL etc either open their eyes or step aside it will never change.

jockodile
08-03-2015, 03:21 AM
The other key thing is the league is pretty even and with a finals series there is something for most teams to play most of the year despite no relegation.

atmosphere wise the Sydney derby reminds of what big games were like at hibs in the days before standing was banned.

in comparison the glorious 4 nil against rangers I attended back in December felt tame atmosphere if not enjoyment wise.

that said being able to drink at your seat in nice summer evenings goes a long way towards that.

convinced a mostly summer spfl with a finals series and loosening alcohol restrictions would help everyone. ..bar celtic

QUOTE=BrissieHibbie;4319190]There are some fundamental differences between the Au setup and Scotland.

AU Population ~22m Scotland ~4.5m
A League teams 9 (+1 from NZ) Scottish teams ~40

A league ticket ~$15 (10 quid or less) ScoPrem about 20 quid
A-leage teams play in shared stadia (ie Suncorp 52,000 also used by Rugby union, rugby league, concerts etc = much better stadia + better pitches)

There's a passionate European-heritage fan base, espec in Sydney Brisbane, & Melbourne

The TV deals are decent, and they are developing the asian champions league, marquee signings help too (ie Del Piero)

Add in better weather, free public transport to games, a beer at the ground, no crowd trouble, no sectarian garbage and whats not to like.
I wouldn't hesitate to take wife/kids to a game here, but wouldn't think about taking them to Tynecastle, Hunbrox, or Parkhead

The standard has got a way to go, and I can never get as excited (or upset) about Brisbane as I do about Hibs. But they are going about things the right way and producing some decent talent. 'Soccer' is the most played sport among kids.

Until the dinosaurs at SFA/SPL/SPFL etc either open their eyes or step aside it will never change.[/QUOTE]