PDA

View Full Version : Spitting

Danderhall Hibs
07-03-2015, 10:43 AM
7 matches for Cisse and 6 for Evans.

They'd have been better breaking each others legs - it's a lesson for all players - if you're going to get in a fight throw a punch and you'll get less of a ban!

greenginger
07-03-2015, 10:48 AM
Cisse is Newcastle's main goal threat. What is big Mike going to do ?

Get an emergency loan from The Rangers ..... Boyd, Miller , ........ :greengrin

Pretty Boy
07-03-2015, 10:54 AM
So Cisse admits the offence and offers a full apology yet Evans denies it, doesn't apologise and gets a shorter ban. How does that work?

Danderhall Hibs
07-03-2015, 10:59 AM
So Cisse admits the offence and offers a full apology yet Evans denies it, doesn't apologise and gets a shorter ban. How does that work?

It's his 2nd violent conduct of the season so he gets an automatic +1.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2015, 11:03 AM
It's his 2nd violent conduct of the season so he gets an automatic +1.

Aah that explains it.

Aldo
07-03-2015, 11:04 AM

I don't know. Both spat at each other and both should of got exactly the same.

Well done to Cisse for taking responsibility (disgusting what he did) but Evans I feel has the Man U syndrome in respect that he plays for them and he does what he wants and gets away with it.

Onion
07-03-2015, 11:07 AM

Saw the photos and definitely less gob involved (25mls v 40 mls). Seems fair :wink:

Onceinawhile
07-03-2015, 11:12 AM
John Terry got less for being racist. Glad to see the FA has its priorities straight.

lord bunberry
07-03-2015, 11:15 AM
John Terry got less for being racist. Glad to see the FA has its priorities straight.
I know it's laughable. Spitting is disgusting, but 6 games is ridiculous when you can end someone's carreer and get 3 games.

Andy74
07-03-2015, 11:22 AM
I know it's laughable. Spitting is disgusting, but 6 games is ridiculous when you can end someone's carreer and get 3 games.

You could argue a tackle is usually just a badly judged part of the game. Spitting isn't.

I'm not so sure Evans spat at him as such. He spat but not sure it was aimed anywhere.

lord bunberry
07-03-2015, 11:24 AM
You could argue a tackle is usually just a badly judged part of the game. Spitting isn't.

I'm not so sure Evans spat at him as such. He spat but not sure it was aimed anywhere.
That's true but I still think 6 games is excessive

jdships
07-03-2015, 11:54 AM
That's true but I still think 6 games is excessive

Agree totally.
What does a punishment for a broken leg/long term injury carry?
In many cases just the red card with three matches at worst .
:confused:

southern hibby
07-03-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm in the opposite camp than most on here. Idon't believe that those bans are too heavy. I feel the powers that be have a duty and responsibility to stamp this out before it becomes part of our modern day game.

Imagine if I worked with you we had a little disagreement and we spat on each other. I'm guessing but in most jobs it would be a sackable offence. Yet footballers are above this.

Or alternatively your kids playing football and gets spat on, all because it's been seen on tv. These players who our children watch and idolise have an obligation to do their upmost to promote our game that pays them handsomely and I for one congratulate this no nonsense hard line approach by the powers that be.

GGTTH

hibsbollah
07-03-2015, 12:05 PM
There should definitely be more of it in the game. Its a good way to release a players inner rage without the need to recklessly kick or elbow or otherwise put an opponents career at risk :agree:

Eyrie
07-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Agree with this.

Cisse should have had one game deducted from the ban for his immediate honesty, so it would have been five for spitting and one extra for it being a second offence.

Will Evans get his ban increased if he loses the appeal, or can he just deny everything because there is no downside to doing so?

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 12:26 PM
In my opinion spitting at another person is absolutely disgusting and is one of the most despicable things you could do to another person. My reaction would always be an instant punch to the face of the assailant.

Danderhall Hibs
07-03-2015, 12:31 PM
In my opinion spitting at another person is absolutely disgusting and is one of the most despicable things you could do to another person. My reaction would always be an instant punch to the face of the assailant.

Well you'd be better to - the ban's a lot less.

In fact just break his leg next tackle and you'll get less.

Is spitting really worse than attempting to end someone's career?

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Well you'd be better to - the ban's a lot less.

In fact just break his leg next tackle and you'll get less.

Is spitting really worse than attempting to end someone's career?

I wasn't really referring to it in a football context, just my opinion of it in general wherever it occurs.

Danderhall Hibs
07-03-2015, 12:38 PM
I wasn't really referring to it in a football context, just my opinion of it in general wherever it occurs.

It is disgusting but in a football sense all the "it's the worst thing you can do to a fellow pro" nonsense does my head in.

What Roy Keane done to Haaland was probably the worst. Bet Haaland would've much preferred a big greener to the face.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 12:47 PM
It is disgusting but in a football sense all the "it's the worst thing you can do to a fellow pro" nonsense does my head in.

What Roy Keane done to Haaland was probably the worst. Bet Haaland would've much preferred a big greener to the face.

I think the whole Keane- Haaland thing is played up too much, it wasn't the knee hurt by Keane that ended his career, though it was a deliberate foul by Keane as revenge for being out for a year after a tackle by Haaland.

Carheenlea
07-03-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm in the opposite camp than most on here. Idon't believe that those bans are too heavy. I feel the powers that be have a duty and responsibility to stamp this out before it becomes part of our modern day game.

Imagine if I worked with you we had a little disagreement and we spat on each other. I'm guessing but in most jobs it would be a sackable offence. Yet footballers are above this.

Or alternatively your kids playing football and gets spat on, all because it's been seen on tv. These players who our children watch and idolise have an obligation to do their upmost to promote our game that pays them handsomely and I for one congratulate this no nonsense hard line approach by the powers that be.

GGTTH

It`s a heavy punishment in comparison to the kind of punishment`s handed out in the game, but as you say, do that at your work and you will face instant dismissal. 6 games is a very light punishment for such a vile act.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2015, 01:19 PM
When did Michael Van Gerwen become a Premier League referee!?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united

Keith_M
07-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Agreed, it's totally out of proportion. What would you least want to happen to you, have a bit of spit dribbling down your leg or have your leg broken in two places?

Speedy
07-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Agreed, it's totally out of proportion. What would you least want to happen to you, have a bit of spit dribbling down your leg or have your leg broken in two places?

I'm sure if a player deliberately broke another's leg then it would be an extended ban.

heretoday
07-03-2015, 05:09 PM
There used to be quite a lot of spitting in the 60s/70s and I don't think there was such a fuss about it then. George Best and Dennis Law spat a bit I seem to recall.

The thing is people don't spit so much in general nowadays which is good. Lungs have improved.

So it's more shocking when it happens.

Pretty Boy
07-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm sure if a player deliberately broke another's leg then it would be an extended ban.

Exactly.

The issue with spitting is it is totally deliberate and disgusting. A broken leg/serious injury can happen due to a foul that is reckless or even in a fair challenge. Think Ian Murray on Fraser Fyvie or Shawcross on Ramsey. One was a good tackle with an unfortunate outcome, the other was a reckless challenge and undoubtedly a bad one but one which wasn't deliberate and saw the offending player visibly upset afterwards.

If a player deliberately went out to 'do' someone they would face just as lengthy a ban as Cisse and Evans (Roy Keane initally got 3 games and a fine for his challenge on Haaland, as soon as he admitted intent he got another 5 and a further fine). It's all about intent imo and there is rarely doubt that spitting on an opponent carries intent.

Love the Green
07-03-2015, 06:30 PM
I think the whole Keane- Haaland thing is played up too much, it wasn't the knee hurt by Keane that ended his career, though it was a deliberate foul by Keane as revenge for being out for a year after a tackle by Haaland.

Think you will find out it was that assault that ended Alafie's career and the little horrible thug should have been banned for life.

"keep thye faith"

Pretty Boy
07-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Think you will find out it was that assault that ended Alafie's career and the little horrible thug should have been banned for life.

"keep thye faith"

Totally wrong.

Haaland wasn't even subbed in that game and played the following midweek for Norway. Haaland himself dropped legal action against Keane when he admitted his left knee had cause him problem for months before the tackle and that knee hadn't received any contact in the incident (it was the right knee Keane hit). It was a shocking tackle well worthy of a long ban but was NOT what ended Haalands career.

lyonhibs
07-03-2015, 08:21 PM
I wonder what this chap, forced to retire at the age of 25 after an absolute horror tackle the likes of which I hope to never see again, would have preferred.

What actually happened to him, or being gobbed on?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/25-year-old-footballer-forced-retire-after-5290355

Spitting is vile, foul and should be followed by a hefty ban and fine, but "the worst thing that can happen on a football pitch"

Nah.

LaMotta
07-03-2015, 09:02 PM
I wonder what this chap, forced to retire at the age of 25 after an absolute horror tackle the likes of which I hope to never see again, would have preferred.

What actually happened to him, or being gobbed on

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/25-year-old-footballer-forced-retire-after-5290355

I

Spitting is vile, foul and should be followed by a hefty ban and fine, but "the worst thing that can happen on a football pitch"

Nah.

Couldnt agree more.

Watched that today totally horrific challenge. Ive been spat on playing amateurs the guy got a red card and a massive ban following a disciplinary hearing.

Ive also had my leg broken by a skinhead clogger who claimed he never touched me after a two footed lunge. Not even a booking.

I had forgotten about the spit the next day.....the leg break stopped me playing football for a year.

FranckSuzy
07-03-2015, 11:49 PM
Whether the punishment fits the crime or not, spitting could be pretty hazardous to your health if the person who decides to launch his saliva/sputum on you has Hepatitis A, B and C, HIV, Tuberculosis, Epstein-Barr Virus, Influenza, Viral Meningitis or various other communicable diseases :agree: :wink:

GreenOnions
07-03-2015, 11:58 PM

GGTTH

:agree: Totally agree. I despise spitting. It's both disgusting and pathetic and if players being paid that amount of money think it's okay to do that when kids are watching then they should be made to think again. Top marks to the FA.

GreenOnions
08-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Couldnt agree more.

Watched that today totally horrific challenge. Ive been spat on playing amateurs the guy got a red card and a massive ban following a disciplinary hearing.

Ive also had my leg broken by a skinhead clogger who claimed he never touched me after a two footed lunge. Not even a booking.

I had forgotten about the spit the next day.....the leg break stopped me playing football for a year.

I think you're comparing two different types of thing there. It was the fact that it was a physical injury to you caused by the clogger that made you miss a year of football as opposed to something that was insulting/disgusting/upsetting.

Earlier on in the thread someone mentioned that racist abuse was more serious than spitting. However, just like spitting, racist abuse wouldn't (usually) have a physical impact and, using your logic, would be less serious than a bad tackle?

Scouse Hibee
08-03-2015, 12:40 AM

"keep thye faith"

I think you will find that you are wrong, a common misconception that Keane's tackle ended his career, it did not.

LaMotta
08-03-2015, 01:24 AM
I think you're comparing two different types of thing there. It was the fact that it was a physical injury to you caused by the clogger that made you miss a year of football as opposed to something that was insulting/disgusting/upsetting.

Earlier on in the thread someone mentioned that racist abuse was more serious than spitting. However, just like spitting, racist abuse wouldn't (usually) have a physical impact and, using your logic, would be less serious than a bad tackle?

You dont think someone going out to injure someone else is insulting disgusting or upsetting? Now that is illogical.

Its a million times worse than spitting. Ive been racially taunted as a white person in South Africa and Thailand. The memory of the leg break and the physical and psyhcological impact was far worse.

NadeAteMyLunch!
08-03-2015, 08:57 AM

What actually happened to him, or being gobbed on?

Nah.

Remember that tackle from when it happened. Absolute shocker

lyonhibs
08-03-2015, 01:18 PM
You dont think someone going out to injure someone else is insulting disgusting or upsetting? Now that is illogical.

Its a million times worse than spitting. Ive been racially taunted as a white person in South Africa and Thailand. The memory of the leg break and the physical and psyhcological impact was far worse.

Your 1st paragraph highlights the fairly evident flaw in GO's post.

Whether spitting or racist abuse is worse than XYZ is a question based on grading the ****iness of the perpetrators actions and motivation behind them.

For the victim, a career ending injury, even if delivered by a choirboy, is worse IMO than the effects of certainly spitting