PDA

View Full Version : Online purchase question

sleeping giant
06-03-2015, 07:13 PM
I purchased a wardrobe from Argos which was supposedly reduced from £450 to £220 so I thought it would be semi decent .
It's been delivered today and I have built it but it's terrible quality. Shakes from side to side , can't line up a door etc.
Before anybody asks , the build is fine as I'm quite handy that way :greengrin

Anyway , what would my chances of getting a refund be ?
It's unpacked and built and the boxes are already in the tip.
This was purchased online.

Do I have any rights ?

Cheers

Jay
06-03-2015, 07:29 PM
You've got 14 days to return online purchases. I'd give Argos a phone and tell them your situation, they will probably tell you to get the boxes out the bin :)

Good luck, it took them three months to collect and refund the washing machine they delivered to my mum. The manufacturers had substituted it for a lesser model and they argued back and forward for weeks.

green&left
07-03-2015, 08:18 AM
I purchased a wardrobe from Argos which was supposedly reduced from £450 to £220 so I thought it would be semi decent .
It's been delivered today and I have built it but it's terrible quality. Shakes from side to side , can't line up a door etc.
Before anybody asks , the build is fine as I'm quite handy that way :greengrin

Anyway , what would my chances of getting a refund be ?
It's unpacked and built and the boxes are already in the tip.
This was purchased online.

Do I have any rights ?

Cheers

Should be alright. I had a bathroom cabinet that was horrendous. Thing was more difficult to fit and build than my full length full height fitted wardrobes that I had done the week before. When it finally was up I reckon the quality was that bad a pack of paracetamol would knocked it tumbling down. Took it back to Argos for a full refund even though it was a home delivery.

Bought some real pine furniture from ebay called 'mexican corona'. Cheaper than the chipboard mdf pish from argos and the like but far better quality. Might be worth a gander :aok:

sleeping giant
07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Cheers.
I'll give them a bell today.
Thought I'd be toiling as it's built with the dowels glued and back panels screwed in.

Moulin Yarns
07-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Cheers.
I'll give them a bell today.
Thought I'd be toiling as it's built with the dowels glued and back panels screwed in.

Always worth phoning and following it up with a letter, remember to get the name of the person you talk to. Any problems then the Council's trading standards will keep you right, and Citizens Advice always know a lot about consumer affairs.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/pdfs/uksi_20002334_en.pdf

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_by_internet_mail_order_or_phone_e/consumer_cancelling_a_distance_sale_order_e/returning_goods_-_distance_sales.htm

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotland/consumer_s/consumer_different_ways_of_buying_e/consumer_buying_by_internet_mail_order_or_phone_e/consumer_cancelling_a_distance_sale_order_e/cancelling_a_distance_sales_contract_goods.htm

speedy_gonzales
07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
AFAIK, you don't need to return original packaging.
However, I bought a pine bed from Argos, the delivery guys left it in my back garden. When I seen the bed for the first time I noticed how poor and flimsy it was so I started the returns procedure. I left it where it was and they came the next day, unfortunately the cardboard had got damp overnight(dew not rain) do when the guys came the box fell apart. In the end they left it and I never got a refund from Argos despite involving trading standards.
Apparently it was ok for THEM to leave the box outside but I neglected my customer responsibilities when I left it out!?!

sleeping giant
07-03-2015, 10:31 AM
Right , have given them a phone and they have agreed to come pick it up . I obviously need to dismantle it and attempt to repackage it.
Funnily enough , they can't pick it up for 3 weeks .

Had a gander at the Mexican Corrona on eBay and the triple wardrobe looks decent but the wife doesn't like the colour :greengrin

Off to IKEA this afternoon to have a look.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Right , have given them a phone and they have agreed to come pick it up . I obviously need to dismantle it and attempt to repackage it.
Funnily enough , they can't pick it up for 3 weeks .

Had a gander at the Mexican Corrona on eBay and the triple wardrobe looks decent but the wife doesn't like the colour :greengrin

Off to IKEA this afternoon to have a look.

Leave it built and wrap shrink wrap around it:-)